PDA

View Full Version : Striker & defender in January

Tom Hart RIP
13-12-2015, 07:09 PM
When asked by press yesterday after game about his plans for January AS said he was looking to bring in another striker and a right sided defender. Didn't give any hints obviously.

Ozyhibby
13-12-2015, 07:17 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/13/16dbd07bfe9ecca17575fd1c6761bd84.jpg
And we can help make sure Stubbs has the funds in place to get his top targets.
http://www.hiberniansupporters.co.uk/phone/donate.html
Only takes a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
13-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Makes sense. McGreggor can play RB but it's not ideal and we have no natural cover for Gray.

With Feruz looking out the picture and Farid missing again yesterday a striker also looks sensible. Anier done well in his wee cameo yesterday which was pleasing.

Famous Fiver
13-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Carmichael nowhere to be seen yesterday.

Was he injured?

Strange, if not. I rate him.

HoboHarry
13-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Carmichael nowhere to be seen yesterday.

Was he injured?

Strange, if not. I rate him.
I think I read that he had been operated on?

B.H.F.C
13-12-2015, 07:28 PM
Striker is a must. We've only had Cummings scoring regularly really. He could be doing with a bit more help.

JoeT_WasTheBest
13-12-2015, 07:34 PM

He is indeed coming back from an operation. I spoke to him briefly at the calendar signing and he said it had gone well and was on his way back,

Bishop Hibee
13-12-2015, 07:41 PM
Malonga was close to leaving in the summer. Would he/should he be allowed to leave in the window? I'd imagine it would only happen if Stubbs has someone lined up to replace him. Eckersley will probably go so cover for Gray will be needed again.

Booked4Being-Ugly
13-12-2015, 07:48 PM
A big bustling no-nonsense centre forward please.

silverhibee
13-12-2015, 08:07 PM

:agree:

silverhibee
13-12-2015, 08:08 PM
A big bustling no-nonsense centre forward please.

That is just the type of striker he is looking for.

Pretty Boy
13-12-2015, 08:19 PM
That is just the type of striker he is looking for.

When does Michael Higdons current loan from Sheffield Utd end? He would appear to fit the bill pretty well.

offshorehibby
13-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Eckersley will probably go so cover for Gray will be needed again.

Ia Eckersley not a LB, meant to be cover for Stevenson (wouldn't be surprised if he gets a game this Saturday). McGregor was meant to be cover for Gray.

superfurryhibby
13-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Ia Eckersley not a LB, meant to be cover for Stevenson (wouldn't be surprised if he gets a game this Saturday). McGregor was meant to be cover for Gray.

From what I recall, Eckersley is left footed. Forster can also cover right back, if required. I think we definitely need cover for left back, I'd also like to see someone like Higdon, assuming Farid is not going. to contribute. I reckon Cummings would score even more goals if he had a counter-foil who he could play off.

Michael
13-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Am I alone in thinking we don't need a striker? I like Cummings, Keatings and Malonga.

Some talk about a big, strong striker who can hold up the ball...but these types of signings very rarely work out. Unless we're planning on signing Giroud then I'd rather we focussed on other areas (like full back cover).

PatHead
13-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Am I alone in thinking we don't need a striker? I like Cummings, Keatings and Malonga.

Some talk about a big, strong striker who can hold up the ball...but these types of signings very rarely work out. Unless we're planning on signing Giroud then I'd rather we focussed on other areas (like full back cover).

If Stubbsy thinks we need a striker we need the striker.

B.H.F.C
13-12-2015, 09:59 PM

Malonga has scored in 3 games this season. Keatings has scored in 4 games, although he has played deeper at times. We need someone to help Cummings out on a more regular basis.

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2015, 11:41 PM
Striker is a must. We've only had Cummings scoring regularly really. He could be doing with a bit more help.Keatings has 7 in 8 league starts?

Bronson
14-12-2015, 12:11 AM
We don't need a striker. Cummings, malonga, Farid and Keatings is probably enough fire power, plus Boyle can do a shift there if need be.

I assume Anier and Feruz will be moved on.

I'm also not really keen on the idea of a 'big no-nonsense centre forward'. I think with our system we're better with quick, technically astute players than rough target men. Farid, when fit, is more than able to play a target man style role while still having the ability on the deck.

Greenworld
14-12-2015, 07:06 AM
Think another striker is a must a tried and tested old head would be invaluable going into the second half of the season ....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
14-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Keatings has 7 in 8 league starts?

When put like that it sounds not too bad. Not that it's a criticism of him at all, but 5 of them were in 2 games. He's been playing a bit deeper and I think we need someone up top to help JC out on a more regular basis in the second half of the season.

eastmainsmsh
14-12-2015, 08:13 AM
Mark Wilson good option ? I'd like higdon as well

Pretty Boy
14-12-2015, 09:14 AM
We don't need a striker. Cummings, malonga, Farid and Keatings is probably enough fire power, plus Boyle can do a shift there if need be.

I'm also not really keen on the idea of a 'big no-nonsense centre forward'. I think with our system we're better with quick, technically astute players than rough target men. Farid, when fit, is more than able to play a target man style role while still having the ability on the deck.

Do you really see Farid contributing much? Missing again on Saturday.

I think we need another as cover in case of injuries to any of the other 3 mentioned above. I've bo issue with that being a bigger lad either, it's good to be able to mix it up if needed.

JimBHibees
14-12-2015, 09:36 AM

Thought he did well when he came on an assist caused by an excellent front post run something our forwards dont do as much as they should IMO and then an excellent ball through for another chance which we should have done better with.

GreenCastle
14-12-2015, 09:36 AM
We need more physical presence up front.

I would still start with what we have but a player who can win flick ons and cause problems in the air.

Faird can do this but gutting he's not managed to get back after a horrible injury. He showed when he came on and scored the winner against Hearts what he can add to the team.

A left back also would be useful - especially if Lewis will miss games.

scoopyboy
14-12-2015, 09:38 AM

Seriously?

J-C
14-12-2015, 09:38 AM

Eckersley will be gone in January, going to the States as far as I can recall, was only a short term deal.

Thecat23
14-12-2015, 10:07 AM
Eckersley will be gone in January, going to the States as far as I can recall, was only a short term deal.

That's what I thought but sure someone on here says that's he's wanting to stay bit longer and delay his move to the States!

J-C
14-12-2015, 10:09 AM
That's what I thought but sure someone on here says that's he's wanting to stay bit longer and delay his move to the States!

He'd not be here if Crane wasn't injured.

brog
14-12-2015, 10:23 AM

I think that's correct. Left sided cover was a priority for us in last window therefore if Eck was going you would assume it would be a priority again now & per AS it isn't - ergo!

offshorehibby
14-12-2015, 12:54 PM

i'm sure i ready recently he could be persuaded to stay and America's not set in stone.

offshorehibby
14-12-2015, 12:56 PM
He'd not be here if Crane wasn't injured.

Crane's just back from a lengthy injury do we relay want to throw him into the deep end if Stevenson is injured.

Ronniekirk
14-12-2015, 01:22 PM
i'm sure i ready recently he could be persuaded to stay and America's not set in stone.

Your right a few posters were indicating Eckersley will stay till the end of the season , decent cover for Gray is important ,as would think it's unlikely he will go whole season without getting injured ,or at least needing rested given his history of groin problems .
Stubbs was also clear as far back as his Interview after we beat Queen of The South
away that we needed another Striker ,and that Anier had a role to play as we moved into festive period and into next year .
what has changed since then is Feruz hasn't given him enough to think about to suggest he can step up and make an impact , The Backroom Staff must have a clear view on Farid by now ,although again Stubbs said it would be into the new year before he would be making a contribution ,but think even Stubbs must know he can't be certain about Farid making a full recovery .
Malonga is going through a spell when not scoring ,but Stubbs likes his link up play and Keatings isn't to date showing he can score week in week out ,so that is leaving the onus on Cummings ,and as happened last season he will go through a Wee spell and the odd game without scoring ,so we need to make sure we have the right options available to us at front if we are to keep challenging Rangers for the Title .
We know Boyle will chip in every so often ,as can Henderson Mcginn Fyfie and Mcgeoch ,but again they aren't looking like being prolific scorers ,so we need to make sure we have the Firepower up front .

J-C
14-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Crane's just back from a lengthy injury do we relay want to throw him into the deep end if Stevenson is injured.

Where did I say play Crane, read it again and you'll see I said he'd not be here if Crane wasn't injured, because he was injured was the reason Eckersley was signed.

Kaiser1962
14-12-2015, 07:04 PM

Callum's at Berwick on loan.

AlbertK86
14-12-2015, 07:35 PM
We need more physical presence up front. I would still start with what we have but a player who can win flick ons and cause problems in the air. Faird can do this but gutting he's not managed to get back after a horrible injury. He showed when he came on and scored the winner against Hearts what he can add to the team. A left back also would be useful - especially if Lewis will miss games.

Anier could be the physical presence we need

Also has good pace when fully fit

Stubbs reckons he will make a good contribution so I'm happy to take his word for it

offshorehibby
14-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Callum's at Berwick on loan.

He must have gone there recently, good luck to him.

Andy74
14-12-2015, 10:20 PM
Where did I say play Crane, read it again and you'll see I said he'd not be here if Crane wasn't injured, because he was injured was the reason Eckersley was signed.

I think he was signed because he happened to be local, available and knew the league. I doubt Crane was in the plans yet.

J-C
15-12-2015, 12:08 AM
I think he was signed because he happened to be local, available and knew the league. I doubt Crane was in the plans yet.

Crane was seen as back up for Lewis and played in pre season games, Eckersley didn't sign until the 11th Sept, I didn't realise you knew the ins and outs of Stubbs thinking re players and who was in his plans etc but I'm pretty sure Eckersley was signed on a short deal because Crane got injured and we had no back up for Lewis.

Bronson
15-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Do you really see Farid contributing much? Missing again on Saturday.

I think we need another as cover in case of injuries to any of the other 3 mentioned above. I've bo issue with that being a bigger lad either, it's good to be able to mix it up if needed.

If he can stay fit I see no reason why not, granted that is a big IF.

Seriously?

100% serious. He's an absolute player, he's had a nightmare with injuries but when he's fit he's a terrific option to have IMO.

jacomo
15-12-2015, 12:23 AM

100% serious. He's an absolute player, he's had a nightmare with injuries but when he's fit he's a terrific option to have IMO.

I'm sure everyone would love to see Farid back. Seems like a great character and could have been a great player for us .

Problem is, we've been saying this for a long time. He said himself he'd be fit by now, but it's just not happening.

Andy74
15-12-2015, 07:27 AM
Crane was seen as back up for Lewis and played in pre season games, Eckersley didn't sign until the 11th Sept, I didn't realise you knew the ins and outs of Stubbs thinking re players and who was in his plans etc but I'm pretty sure Eckersley was signed on a short deal because Crane got injured and we had no back up for Lewis.

Lots of players had to play in pre season that wouldn't have been in the immediate plans this season. I'm just giving my view same as you. I'm sure you don't know the workings of Stubbs' mind either.

SouthMoroccoStu
15-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Any idea who we're looking at?

Onion
15-12-2015, 08:00 AM
Interesting position for the Hibs Board. Few weeks ago (realistically) the Jan window would have been all about preparing for the play-offs - with the real risk of remaining in the Championship. Now, a little bit of brave, smart investment could win us the league, certain promotion and the extra revenue that comes with that.

Sevco Board has no choice, it simply MUST spend money as failure to get promoted this time is unthinkable. Whether they have the money or not, they will spend and deal with the consequences later. It's what they do.

J-C
15-12-2015, 08:07 AM
Lots of players had to play in pre season that wouldn't have been in the immediate plans this season. I'm just giving my view same as you. I'm sure you don't know the workings of Stubbs' mind either.

Oh here we go again, Andy74 the man who think he knows everything and please don't dare have an opposing opinion to his as he'll just keep repeating over and over. :rolleyes:

Crane has been a stand out for the U20's this past couple of years and was seen as perfect back up for Stevenson until his injury, hence why Eckersley was signed on a short term, not a long term deal.

Forza Fred
15-12-2015, 08:07 AM

Eckersley's reassessment of the USA option could be related to his brother...he was playing in the MLS but recently had his contract terminated.

Forza Fred
15-12-2015, 08:12 AM
Eckersley's reassessment of the USA option could be related to his brother...he was playing in the MLS but recently had his contract terminated.

Ignore this, wrong info provided and misunderstood!

Ronniekirk
15-12-2015, 08:13 AM
Interesting position for the Hibs Board. Few weeks ago (realistically) the Jan window would have been all about preparing for the play-offs - with the real risk of remaining in the Championship. Now, a little bit of brave, smart investment could win us the league, certain promotion and the extra revenue that comes with that.

Sevco Board has no choice, it simply MUST spend money as failure to get promoted this time is unthinkable. Whether they have the money or not, they will spend and deal with the consequences later. It's what they do.

That's been my view all along ,they will continue to disregard spending within thier means ,despite the position they are in ,but will be interested if they do this without having to sell a current assetor two .
They weren't expecting us to give them such a tight title race and thier arrogance and uttering X reflect they fully expected to be out of sight by now .
If they do spend big and that proves to be the factor that eventually wins them the Leaugue there is nothing we can do about it apart from Stubs pulling a few rabbits out the Hat that can strengthen us ,and hop we avoid key injuries and suspensions to keep our momentum going
Rangers are having thier dip at the right time ,with us still behind them and the Transfer window just in front of them The stakes for them are so high they won't not strengthen now

Arch Stanton
15-12-2015, 08:24 AM
I was wondering about our midfield - given that Hanlon was played there on Sat - I thought we would have had bettter cover than that.

I assume Bartley and D McG are injured - I dan't realised that was the case - will we be better placed against QoS?

brog
15-12-2015, 08:49 AM
I was wondering about our midfield - given that Hanlon was played there on Sat - I thought we would have had bettter cover than that.

I assume Bartley and D McG are injured - I dan't realised that was the case - will we be better placed against QoS?

Not just Marvin & Dylan injured, also Carmichael & Handling, plus Henderson was recovering from a virus. I said in an earlier post there was some criticism of AS in summer when he signed all these midfield players. I guess we had better get used to the fact we finally have a manager who knows what he's doing!

jacomo
15-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Not just Marvin & Dylan injured, also Carmichael & Handling, plus Henderson was recovering from a virus. I said in an earlier post there was some criticism of AS in summer when he signed all these midfield players. I guess we had better get used to the fact we finally have a manager who knows what he's doing!

From this season and last, it seems clear that AS likes lots of competition for places, especially in midfield. We'd also have lots of options up front if more strikers were fit.

Andy74
15-12-2015, 10:45 AM
Oh here we go again, Andy74 the man who think he knows everything and please don't dare have an opposing opinion to his as he'll just keep repeating over and over. :rolleyes:

Crane has been a stand out for the U20's this past couple of years and was seen as perfect back up for Stevenson until his injury, hence why Eckersley was signed on a short term, not a long term deal.

You don't half escalate everything to a personal level. Chill out. I've made clear these are my thoughts only.

Jim44
15-12-2015, 11:04 AM

There's a couple of Accrington Stanley players, Windass and Crooks and the guy Stewart of Dundee, who might be of interest tio Stubbs. Sevco are interested in them but a bit of competition from us might beef up the price a wee bit and if Sevco get them at inflated prices, so be it. :devil::stirrer::greengrin

hibseleven
15-12-2015, 11:14 AM
There's a couple of Accrington Stanley players, Windass and Crooks and the guy Stewart of Dundee, who might be of interest tio Stubbs. Sevco are interested in them but a bit of competition from us might beef up the price a wee bit and if Sevco get them at inflated prices, so be it. :devil::stirrer::greengrin

Was in York to watch Stanley beat them 5-1 a few weeks back. Crooks (no 14 i think) looked a player as did Windass although they did sub him off before he got sent off. Stanleys fans were brilliant, sang all day in the pouring rain and a cracking range of songs!!

J-C
15-12-2015, 01:31 PM
From this season and last, it seems clear that AS likes lots of competition for places, especially in midfield. We'd also have lots of options up front if more strikers were fit.

Great having the extra competition in the team, his biggest problem will be to keep everyone happy. I can see a few players looking elsewhere for game time next season, obviously Stanton and Handling are 2 but you could add Forster, Bartley and Carmichael to that list.

J-C
15-12-2015, 01:34 PM
You don't half escalate everything to a personal level. Chill out. I've made clear these are my thoughts only.

Maybe because you jump on quite a few of my posts and diss them all the time, it gets very tiresome.

Kaiser1962
15-12-2015, 09:13 PM
He must have gone there recently, good luck to him.

Emergency loan signing at the end of November. Started on Saturday against Elgin and again tonight away to Arbroath.

Big L
15-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Sevco are running around begging for cash to pay of Sports Direct and struggling to do that, they really need to get them off their back, imo they will have no money for players at the break, anyone coming in will be on loan. I also believe Stokes could be at ER at the break, it would suit Deila to get him out and it could suit Stokes, give him regular games while he waits on Deila getting the boot.

chrisski33
15-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Sevco are running around begging for cash to pay of Sports Direct and struggling to do that, they really need to get them off their back, imo they will have no money for players at the break, anyone coming in will be on loan. I also believe Stokes could be at ER at the break, it would suit Deila to get him out and it could suit Stokes, give him regular games while he waits on Deila getting the boot.

Cant see stokes back at hibs tbh

matty_f
15-12-2015, 10:41 PM
Maybe because you jump on quite a few of my posts and diss them all the time, it gets very tiresome.

Perhaps you might want to try the ignore function? Looking at the thread, Andy didn't post anything that warranted a pop, it's about time to
put things to bed, and if you don't like a poster, use ignore.

Andy74
15-12-2015, 11:23 PM

You give yourself too much credit. Most of the time I don't look at who has posted. I'm just giving my view.

Other than noticing that you react like a 12 year old girl every now and again to my posts I have no idea who you are what your views might be on anything.

I would like you to just ignore me though. It's better than the drama queen act every time.

Jim44
15-12-2015, 11:27 PM

Stokes returning to ER would be a disaster and could cost us promotion. He'd be fine on the park but would destroy the great dressing room morale we presently have and I honestly think we would drop down the league like a lead balloon. Sounds a bit OTT but I'm serious.

Wilson
16-12-2015, 01:16 AM
Stokes returning to ER would be a disaster and could cost us promotion. He'd be fine on the park but would destroy the great dressing room morale we presently have and I honestly think we would drop down the league like a lead balloon. Sounds a bit OTT but I'm serious.

Perhaps more likely that big Yogi would take a punt on him? Here is hoping anyway.

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2015, 05:53 AM
Stokes returning to ER would be a disaster and could cost us promotion. He'd be fine on the park but would destroy the great dressing room morale we presently have and I honestly think we would drop down the league like a lead balloon. Sounds a bit OTT but I'm serious.You are spot on, absolute fud who I want as far from Easter Road as possible.

kaimendhibs
16-12-2015, 06:58 AM
Agreed

offshorehibby
16-12-2015, 07:22 AM
From the Scotsman rumors (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/rumour-mill-norwich-give-up-on-griffiths-celtic-for-souttar-mackay-steven-united-return-1-3976845) page.

Little chance of Gary Mackay-Steven return to Tannadice

DUNDEE United have distanced themselves from rumours that former winger Gary Mackay-Steven is set to return in January to help the club’s relegation bid.

The player moved to Celtic last season in the double swoop that also saw Stuart Armstrong move to Glasgow. After enjoying a strong start to life at Celtic Park, Mackay-Steven has been badly out of sorts this season, falling down the pecking order as a result.

However, while it’s likely United would welcome the player back given the club’s current plight, they insist no contact has been made. (Evening Telegraph)

Liam Henderson wants to see out season at Easter Road

CELTIC loanee Liam Henderson wants to remain at Easter Road for the duration of the 2015/16 season and defeat his parent club’s main rivals in the battle for the Ladbrokes Championship crown.

The midfielder has been in impressive form since joining Hibernian as part of the deal that saw Scott Allan move to Celtic Park.

He’s been a regular in the side under Alan Stubbs and insists he wants to keep getting regular first-team football while helping the Edinburgh club get back to the top flight.

Hibs are currently three points behind Rangers in the table.

superfurryhibby
16-12-2015, 07:50 AM

Is our dressing room morale that fragile? I think not.

If Stubbs thought it was a good move etc, etc......

J-C
16-12-2015, 08:41 AM
You give yourself too much credit. Most of the time I don't look at who has posted. I'm just giving my view.

Other than noticing that you react like a 12 year old girl every now and again to my posts I have no idea who you are what your views might be on anything.

I would like you to just ignore me though. It's better than the drama queen act every time.

On a thread re Malonga where myself, TC23 and others dared to criticise him, my post was the only one you replied to, accusing me of hating Malonga. Now you've been reduced to petty childish name calling, you are now ignored, the 1st person I've had to do this to in all my time on here.

Pretty Boy
16-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Can we please move on guys. As Matty has said above the ignore function is there for a reason. Online, as in the real world, some people just won't get on, accept it.

I don't have the time or desire to have to wade through threads either deleting post or closing entire threads because of a personality clash.

J-C
16-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Can we please move on guys. As Matty has said above the ignore function is there for a reason. Online, as in the real world, some people just won't get on, accept it.

I don't have the time or desire to have to wade through threads either deleting post or closing entire threads because of a personality clash.

Now on ignore. :aok:

scoopyboy
16-12-2015, 09:20 AM

Highlighted bit says it all for me.

I think he's great as well but I wouldn't class him the same as Cummings, Malonga and Keatings, only because he's not available and IMO is unlikely to be very much.