PDA

View Full Version : Manchester

Onceinawhile
20-09-2015, 05:47 PM
I am soon to be in Manchester for about 10 days, with the wife joining me for the weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do? There's not much on Google other than the national football museum or a tour of the corrie set.

If anyone has any advice it'd be appreciated, won't have a car so needs to be accessible by foot or public transport.

Recommendations for places to eat and drink welcome too. (it's an international week so no football boo)

Scouse Hibee
20-09-2015, 06:17 PM
I am soon to be in Manchester for about 10 days, with the wife joining me for the weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do? There's not much on Google other than the national football museum or a tour of the corrie set.

If anyone has any advice it'd be appreciated, won't have a car so needs to be accessible by foot or public transport.

Recommendations for places to eat and drink welcome too. (it's an international week so no football boo)

Jump on a train to Liverpool is your best option

YehButNoBut
22-09-2015, 02:41 PM
If you like Indian food make sure you try Rusholme, 50 or more restaurants to try and some pretty decent ones as well. Chinatown also has some decent restaurants.

HH81
22-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Manchester is quite decent I think.

Just have a walk round you will be fine and will find stuff to do. Go for a ground tour at city of Manchester or old trafford cricket ground :greengrin

Train to Leeds if you want something different for a day too.

Pretty Boy
22-09-2015, 05:13 PM
The Peoples History Museuem is worth a visit if you like that kind of thing.

jabis
22-09-2015, 06:15 PM
buy an umbrella.

Loopz
22-09-2015, 11:55 PM
The Lowry is well worth a visit.

grunt
23-09-2015, 05:20 AM
The Lowry is well worth a visit.

I think there's also a branch of the Imperial War Museum there too.

LancashireHibby
23-09-2015, 10:08 AM
I think there's also a branch of the Imperial War Museum there too.
Correct, well worth a visit. You'll need to get the tram towards Salford Quays/MediaCity. Football Museum is good for passing a couple of hours as mentioned.

Even in international week there will be plenty of lower league and non-league games, I'm sure. Cheap day out and potentially beer on the terraces depending on where you go.

Expect to pay pretty high prices if you go for a beer down Deansgate etc, though there are plenty of cheaper pubs with a bit more 'character' if you delve a bit deeper. Would throw in EastZEast for another curry recommendation by the way. Food is great, decent prices and the service is fantastic. It's near the Lowry Hotel/Salford Central station by the side of the River Irwell so only a 5-10 minute walk from Manchester city centre.

Onceinawhile
25-09-2015, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the ideas people. Will look at going to a few of the museums and eateries mentioned.