PDA

View Full Version : NHC Wales - 2nd best ranked team in the world

theonlywayisup
04-09-2015, 07:19 PM
....well they could be by Tuesday next week if results go their way!!

Beat Israel at home on Sunday and they are guaranteed to be the 4th top ranked team in the world.

If Germany fail to beat both Poland & Scotland (unlikely I know), then Wales will then become the 3rd top ranked team in the world, provided they beat Israel.

If Belgium lose to Cyprus in Nicosia and Germany don't win both matches then Wales will become the 2nd top ranked team in the world, provided they beat Israel.

Amazing, when I can't think off any top team that they have beaten apart from Belgium. Four years ago they were ranked the 117th best team in the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34150058

Danderhall Hibs
04-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Farcical. Gareth Bale could be rated as the 2nd best team in the world?!

KWJ
04-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Scotland? :wink:

Sir David Gray
04-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Good luck to them but it's an absolute nonsense.

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Hilarious :hilarious

SteveHFC
04-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Rankings are a joke.

nellio
04-09-2015, 08:19 PM
All hypothetical of course but that would be crazy. After the run we've been on I feel that an improved place in the rankings is merited but even I can't say we should be 2nd! Mind you, Belgium were 2nd when the draw was made after the last World Cup!

Pretty Boy
04-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Tbf why they aren't the 2nd best team in the world they have obviously done something to change their fortunes.

I don't believe producing a world class player and 2 or 3 just below that level is a fluke. Scotland don't have one player near a Ramsey or a Williams never mind a Bale.

Good luck to them. Scotland fans can spend another 15 years in the wilderness whilst making snidey comments about Wales and Northern Ireland who will both likely enjoy at least 1 major tournament in that time.

theonlywayisup
04-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Tbf why they aren't the 2nd best team in the world they have obviously done something to change their fortunes.

I don't believe producing a world class player and 2 or 3 just below that level is a fluke. Scotland don't have one player near a Ramsey or a Williams never mind a Bale.

Good luck to them. Scotland fans can spend another 15 years in the wilderness whilst making snidey comments about Wales and Northern Ireland who will both likely enjoy at least 1 major tournament in that time.

I don't think anyone is making snidey comments about Wales PB, apart from the fact that do we really believe that Wales are better than Columbia, Chile, Germany, Brazil, Spain, Italy and Engerland.

B.H.F.C
04-09-2015, 08:35 PM

Spot on. Wales are miles from being second best in the world but the have a very decent core in Williams, Ramsay and of course Bale.

Only thing I'd say for us is that we got the toughest group by a mile. But third gets you a play off and even that's now unlikely although it is still possible. We are severely lacking up front.

Billy Whizz
04-09-2015, 08:40 PM
Spot on. Wales are miles from being second best in the world but the have a very decent core in Williams, Ramsay and of course Bale.

Only thing I'd say for us is that we got the toughest group by a mile. But third gets you a play off and even that's now unlikely although it is still possible. We are severely lacking up front.
3rd is definitely still on

Pretty Boy
04-09-2015, 08:41 PM
I don't think anyone is making snidey comments about Wales PB, apart from the fact that do we really believe that Wales are better than Columbia, Chile, Germany, Brazil, Spain, Italy and Engerland.

None of those teams are inferior to Wales although they could likely beat a few of them in a one off game.

The point is though the rankings are what they are. Wales have been steadily improving since Gary Speed took over a few years ago and Coleman and the current squad are now reaping the rewards. Same with Northern Ireland.

Meanwhile Scotland, tough group or not, look set to miss out again. Rather than question those who continue to run the game in a farcical fashion in this country some would rather have a pop at the success of the countries above. Both with smaller populations and, especially for Wales, less interest in football. Add to that the improvement and success of Iceland and there really should be no hiding place for the SFA.

Gordy M
04-09-2015, 08:57 PM
None of those teams are inferior to Wales although they could likely beat a few of them in a one off game.

The point is though the rankings are what they are. Wales have been steadily improving since Gary Speed took over a few years ago and Coleman and the current squad are now reaping the rewards. Same with Northern Ireland.

Meanwhile Scotland, tough group or not, look set to miss out again. Rather than question those who continue to run the game in a farcical fashion in this country some would rather have a pop at the success of the countries above. Both with smaller populations and, especially for Wales, less interest in football. Add to that the improvement and success of Iceland and there really should be no hiding place for the SFA.

Sorry but you cant just say 'tough group or not'. That has a massive impact on rankings. Wales have benefitted from a good result against belgium and that apart their group is relatively average. They havent played any other top rated nation i can think off in recent years, meanwhile scotland have played germany england roi poland croatia, all within the last three years. I know this evenings result was awful but i didnt see many posts slagging scottish football and the sfa after drawing in poland or beating ireland??

B.H.F.C
04-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Sorry but you cant just say 'tough group or not'. That has a massive impact on rankings. Wales have benefitted from a good result against belgium and that apart their group is relatively average. They havent played any other top rated nation i can think off in recent years, meanwhile scotland have played germany england roi poland croatia, all within the last three years. I know this evenings result was awful but i didnt see many posts slagging scottish football and the sfa after drawing in poland or beating ireland??

Aye they didn't get slagged after those results because they were good. But tonight, playing against a side who have won 4 times at home in 8 years we lost. And we didn't have a shot on target. Hence why they are getting slagged. Especially because we were in such a good position before the game.

Gordy M
04-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Aye they didn't get slagged after those results because they were good. But tonight, playing against a side who have won 4 times at home in 8 years we lost. And we didn't have a shot on target. Hence why they are getting slagged. Especially because we were in such a good position before the game.

Yeh exactly my point, the way scottish football is run cant have changed that much since those results and the result tonight??

Glory Lurker
04-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Add to that the improvement and success of Iceland and there really should be no hiding place for the SFA.

Iceland's success is what really makes me despair at how the SFA manages our game. Iceland have been there or thereabouts for a while now, and now they've achieved what we can't. Sure, other smallish nations will miss out too, but their FAs can answer to the folk there. Bottom line is that we've a game that is dying on its proverbial, and has been for years, and we continue in a downwards trajectory. What is Iceland's FA doing right?

God Petrie
04-09-2015, 09:27 PM
2nd best ranked team in the world?????? What

Gordy M
04-09-2015, 09:31 PM
Iceland's success is what really makes me despair at how the SFA manages our game. Iceland have been there or thereabouts for a while now, and now they've achieved what we can't. Sure, other smallish nations will miss out too, but their FAs can answer to the folk there. Bottom line is that we've a game that is dying on its proverbial, and has been for years, and we continue in a downwards trajectory. What is Iceland's FA doing right?

So we havent qualified then? Why not wait and see how it goes before critisizing? I assume ul be on here lauding the sfa and scottish football if we do qualify and praising what they got right?

B.H.F.C
04-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Yeh exactly my point, the way scottish football is run cant have changed that much since those results and the result tonight??

I don't get your point though. If a team is winning things are good and they won't get questioned. But we've done alright In the last year, no better than that. That doesn't meant everything is ok longer term.

Speedy
04-09-2015, 09:33 PM

Wales have a pretty solid core but they have a load of mince as well.

What Scotland don't have is a gamechanger.

Stax
04-09-2015, 09:35 PM
I'm as cheesed off as anyone but despairing at a reasonably priced frozen food chain's success is taking it too far IMO..

Glory Lurker
04-09-2015, 09:38 PM
So we havent qualified then? Why not wait and see how it goes before critisizing? I assume ul be on here lauding the sfa and scottish football if we do qualify and praising what they got right?

Okay, I'll stick my neck out - we are out already. I'd be delighted to be wrong, but you can be sure that I'll not be on here praising the SFA if we do somehow qualify (and not just because you'd hang me out to dry if I did! :greengrin)

B.H.F.C
04-09-2015, 09:39 PM
Wales have a pretty solid core but they have a load of mince as well.

What Scotland don't have is a gamechanger.

I think the Bale thing is the obvious comparison but take that out the equation and I still think we have less than them. They have a top centre half, we don't. They have a top central midfielder, we don't.

I agree we don't have a game changer, but having got In to a good position in the group we've been terrible in the last two games.

Glory Lurker
04-09-2015, 09:40 PM
I'm as cheesed off as anyone but despairing at a reasonably priced frozen food chain's success is taking it too far IMO..

:tumble:

:greengrin

Speedy
04-09-2015, 09:45 PM
I think the Bale thing is the obvious comparison but take that out the equation and I still think we have less than them. They have a top centre half, we don't. They have a top central midfielder, we don't.

I agree we don't have a game changer, but having got In to a good position in the group we've been terrible in the last two games.

We have a team of fairly solid players that could make it in the English Premier League. None of them spectacular, none terrible.

They have 2 top players in Bale & Ramsey, Williams and another couple of good players and a load of crap to fill the gaps.

Gordy M
04-09-2015, 09:50 PM
I don't get your point though. If a team is winning things are good and they won't get questioned. But we've done alright In the last year, no better than that. That doesn't meant everything is ok longer term.

My point was more about the running of the scottish game and scottish football in general, if they are doing enough right to go to poland and draw, beat and draw with ireland, our main rivals, then you cant say ah well the sfa and scottish football is rubbish/doing the wrong things when we lose one game? Id imagine the same things were done by the sfa and the management for all the games?

Gordy M
04-09-2015, 09:52 PM
Okay, I'll stick my neck out - we are out already. I'd be delighted to be wrong, but you can be sure that I'll not be on here praising the SFA if we do somehow qualify (and not just because you'd hang me out to dry if I did! :greengrin)

You may be right mate, but if we can beat poland and gibralter then i think we have a good chance of 3rd and need to take our chances in a play off. Dont know why u wouldnt praise them if we qualified?

Glory Lurker
04-09-2015, 10:02 PM
You may be right mate, but if we can beat poland and gibralter then i think we have a good chance of 3rd and need to take our chances in a play off. Dont know why u wouldnt praise them if we qualified?

Trust me, I'll praise Strachan and the team to high heavens! Not the SFA, though.

B.H.F.C
04-09-2015, 10:12 PM
My point was more about the running of the scottish game and scottish football in general, if they are doing enough right to go to poland and draw, beat and draw with ireland, our main rivals, then you cant say ah well the sfa and scottish football is rubbish/doing the wrong things when we lose one game? Id imagine the same things were done by the sfa and the management for all the games?

In terms of the team over the last year theyve got some decent results which have been completely undone by taking 1 point from the last 6.

The running of the game is a different thing all together. And it's still been run by idiots. I just read that their charter plane is going to be a couple of hours late in getting them in Georgia for instance! And apparently due to when it was booked for.

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-09-2015, 10:54 PM
What an utter farce. Wales have been utterly honking my entire life, considerably worse than Scotland-and that's saying something. Yeah they've improved a lot recently but 2nd in the world?![emoji23] That must be a late entry for 'Joke of the Fringe'. They have a few decent players but the number of points Bale has directly won them in the last year or so is ridiculous. We have nobody even close to that standard and haven't since the Dalgleish/Law era

over the line
05-09-2015, 12:08 AM
Having recently moved to Wales, I am made up they are doing well! Best of luck to them I say. It has no effect on how good or bad Scotland are, so I hope Wales kick ass TBH.

My new local team are in the Welsh Prem, Airbus UK and they got beat 1-4 at home to Bangor tonight (real glamour tie). I was part of the 350 crowd. I think the fact that football in Wales is still on a relatively small scale compared to footy in Scotland and England (there are only 3 teams in Wales that get crowds in the thousands: Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham). So I think it is testiment to the Wales team that they are performing anywhere near as well as they are.

I don't suppose any of us would be griping if Scotland were right up there with a chance of being third of even second in the world, regardless of who we may or may not of beat.

Mynd Cymru!!! :wink:

Pretty Boy
05-09-2015, 06:36 AM

I've been pretty consistent in my criticism of the SFA and SPFL and it's forerunners now for years as have many others. It's not a reaction to one result.

Surely no football fan in Scotland actually believes our game is being run well regardless of a few decent results by the national team in the last year or so?

Keith_M
05-09-2015, 07:53 AM
How come this thread, which is actually about the stupidity of the FIFA rankings, has descended into a 'let's slag off Scotland' rant

:confused: