PDA

View Full Version : The typical Saturday Oxley thread

FromTheCapital
23-08-2015, 05:20 PM
How anyone can defend him for the free kick is beyond me. The guy is about 6 foot 5 and he can't even get a hand to it? Don't make me laugh. Made a good save at 1-0 but the he's cost us (along with poor refereeing and finishing) again today. Like I said, he will lose us more points than he will win us. He cannot be first choice at the end of the transfer window if we want to any hope of being champions this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
23-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Does this thread not break the trolling rule? Oxley had a good game today, this is a thread looking to get a reaction.

Keith_M
23-08-2015, 05:33 PM
It's Sunday today.

erin go bragh
23-08-2015, 05:37 PM
He made an outstanding save at 0-0 . Was a great free kick but if he stayed on his line , he would have saved it . Imo

GGTTH

bingo70
23-08-2015, 05:41 PM
I thought he had a good game today, that save he made low at his left was far and away the best save he's made for us.

I'm genuinely not sure if the goal was his fault, was a great strike and the guy couldn't have placed it any better. That said though you couldnae have got a CD under oxleys feet, he seems to shrink when a shot goes over his head.

I'm maybe being harsh though, given his performance apart from the goal and the improvement next week I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Mr White
23-08-2015, 05:43 PM
It's Sunday today.

You sure? :greengrin

Eyrie
23-08-2015, 05:53 PM
The predictable "let's bash this season's scapegoat" thread, despite the fact that Oxley had a good game.

Sometimes you have to give the other guy credit, and in this case Tavernier took an excellent free kick that gave Oxley no chance unless he was psychic and knew he could ignore the option to cross the ball for a header.

Maybe we should welcome Henderson to Hibs with a thread criticising him for missing a sitter?

ronaldo7
23-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Goalie's are always going to get it in the neck when they lose a goal who some think they could have saved.

He did reasonably well today, and saved us a couple of times, however he lost the flight of the ball at the goal, and got caught out.

He was at fault in the Dumbarton game for at least one of the goals, but to make up for it he saved us against Morton when they were through, with only him to beat, he made the save, and we went onto win the game 1-0

It's going to be a long hard season trying to keep up with it all:greengrin

Keith_M
23-08-2015, 05:56 PM
You sure? :greengrin

I've had a quick look at my Calendar and, yep, defo Sunday.

I did wonder, what with the thread title, but there you go.

:wink:

SaulGoodman
23-08-2015, 05:56 PM
If Oxley set himself up for a shot and someone put a header in after a cross from the free kick he would be slated too.

Waxy
23-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Thought Oxley had a good game and we were beaten by a wonder goal.Thought the team did well and could have won had we our shooting boots on.
Some shooting practice and get our injured players back,we're nowhere near out of this yet.

eastterrace
23-08-2015, 06:05 PM
Thought Oxley had a good game and we were beaten by a wonder goal.Thought the team did well and could have won had we our shooting boots on.
Some shooting practice and get our injured players back,we're nowhere near out of this yet.

sorry mate the leagues gone , its the play offs for us again.

Baldy Foghorn
Some good saves, a scary moment with back pass in first half, but should do better at goal. Loses too many like that unfortunately....

Stevie Reid
He was obviously wary of the free kick going near post like the last one Tavernier scored. Even if he had moved, I'm not sure the ball was ever low enough for him to be able to get a touch before it dipped in anyway.

SaulGoodman
23-08-2015, 06:09 PM

Oh well that's that then. Time just flies it feels like weeks ago that the league just started.

#FromTheCapital
23-08-2015, 06:13 PM
Great goal no point in slating the keeper for it.

eastterrace
Oh well that's that then. Time just flies it feels like weeks ago that the league just started.

yes how time flies, its great how we started the season full off running, but its tapered off.

Baldy Foghorn

Really? From what I see they have 3 big players in Taverner, Waghorn and Wallace. I can't see them going the whole season injury or suspension free, and take these 3 out they are average.... Not over by a long long way......

Winston Ingram
23-08-2015, 06:33 PM
How anyone can defend him for the free kick is beyond me. The guy is about 6 foot 5 and he can't even get a hand to it? Don't make me laugh. Made a good save at 1-0 but the he's cost us (along with poor refereeing and finishing) again today. Like I said, he will lose us more points than he will win us. He cannot be first choice at the end of the transfer window if we want to any hope of being champions this season.

How anyone can blame Oxley for that is beyond belief. It was a brilliant effort

Aldo
23-08-2015, 06:37 PM
How anyone can blame Oxley for that is beyond belief. It was a brilliant effort Agreed. Unstoppable shot. Oxley cannot be blamed for that. Not seeing any threads started relating to Cummings poor effort (and Henderson). In from of goals!!

Scouse Hibee
23-08-2015, 06:37 PM

Pish post slating Oxley again, great free kick results in goal, stop slavering.

Scottie
23-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Thought the big man played well today and was caught by a hard hit dipping ball.

Time to lay off the Ox and get behind him instead of taking the easy option and slating him every week. He's the best we've got and can afford. :aok:

Baldy Foghorn
23-08-2015, 06:47 PM
How anyone can blame Oxley for that is beyond belief. It was a brilliant effort

Brilliant effort or poor positioning? Too many similar goals being lost......

Not In The Know
23-08-2015, 06:50 PM
No way we can blame Oxley for us getting beat today.

Argaubly we had 4 sitters missed. You can't miss 4 sitters in Glasgow and expect to come home with any points.

Baldy Foghorn
23-08-2015, 06:53 PM

Argaubly we had 4 sitters missed. You can't miss 4 sitters in Glasgow and expect to come home with any points.

Not blaming him for losing, but questioning him at the goal......

Waxy
23-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Yes just because they are rangers we dont want to give them any credit. Unstoppable goal. They still have to come twice to ER. From what i see we need another striker. I have alot of Hope for James Keatings.Cummings and Malonga must be too relaxed with no competition for their places.

Jack Hackett
23-08-2015, 07:28 PM
There isn't a goalkeeper between John O'Groats and Lands End who isn't going to make a save he should have this season.

Another waste of space thread

Jdawg
23-08-2015, 07:32 PM
There isn't a goalkeeper between John O'Groats and Lands End who isn't going to make a save he should have this season.

Another waste of space thread agree completely. Petr Cech had 2 howlers the other week, miles away from the ball after coming off his line and then beaten at his near post. Happens to the best of them.

Winston Ingram
23-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Brilliant effort or poor positioning? Too many similar goals being lost......

Where is he supposed to position on himself?

It had huge amount of dip on the shot & it dipped at the very last second and hit the underside of the bar right in the postage stamp.

I'm not Oxley's biggest fan but this thread is honkin :dead:

cleanyman
23-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Fontaine wasn't happy with Oxley.

That's what I noticed straight after the goal.

FromTheCapital
23-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Unstoppable?!? Jesus Christ pathetic goalkeeping

Pretty Boy
23-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Fontaine wasn't happy with Oxley.

That's what I noticed straight after the goal.

Yep.

That's why my initial reaction wa he should have done better, although I've since revised that.

Fontaine and 1 other, didn't see who, both had a go at him. It was noticeable as well that every other Hibs player came over to the fans, execpt Malonga, and Oxley just went straight up the tunnel with his head down. I think, rightly or wrongly, he was unhappy with himself.

Swedish hibee
23-08-2015, 07:48 PM

Arguably we had 4 sitters missed. You can't miss 4 sitters in Glasgow and expect to come home with any points.

My thoughts exactly :agree:

Baldy Foghorn
23-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Where is he supposed to position on himself?

It had huge amount of dip on the shot & it dipped at the very last second and hit the underside of the bar right in the postage stamp.

I'm not Oxley's biggest fan but this thread is honkin :dead:

It's all about debates, good free kick from a difficult angle, but I'm not convinced by the part played by Ox......

hibbymick
23-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Hes been on the end of a few crackin goals in his short spell at ER. Was it Oxley that was in goals when Ozturk hit his 40 yarder ?

Baldy Foghorn
23-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Hes been on the end of a few crackin goals in his short spell at ER. Was it Oxley that was in goals when Ozturk hit his 40 yarder ?

yes

Love the Green
23-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Goalie's are always going to get it in the neck when they lose a goal who some think they could have saved.

He did reasonably well today, and saved us a couple of times, however he lost the flight of the ball at the goal, and got caught out.

He was at fault in the Dumbarton game for at least one of the goals, but to make up for it he saved us against Morton when they were through, with only him to beat, he made the save, and we went onto win the game 1-0

It's going to be a long hard season trying to keep up with it all:greengrin.
No he only did his job against Morton. That is what we pay him for. .he lost
is the ge today. Others cost us a victory but he Cost us a point frankly speaking he is ***** and was a panic buy as nobody else would clme to us within our budget.

Northernhibee
23-08-2015, 09:05 PM
No he only did his job against Morton. That is what we pay him for. .he lost
is the ge today. Others cost us a victory but he Cost us a point frankly speaking he is ***** and was a panic buy as nobody else would clme to us within our budget.

You are so consistently wrong it's unreal.

#FromTheCapital
23-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Unbelievable. What do people honestly expect from a Scottish championship goalkeeper!? That was a cracking free kick. Oxley doesn't deserve half of the pelters he takes on here. ****ing joke.

Baldy Foghorn
23-08-2015, 09:25 PM
Unbelievable. What do people honestly expect from a Scottish championship goalkeeper!? That was a cracking free kick. Oxley doesn't deserve half of the pelters he takes on here. ****ing joke.

We have lost 9 goals competitively so far. I would say Ox has been to blame for at least 4. That's why he is being questioned, it's only natural....

#FromTheCapital
23-08-2015, 09:39 PM
We have lost 9 goals competitively so far. I would say Ox has been to blame for at least 4. That's why he is being questioned, it's only natural....

Blaming him for today's goal is plain ridiculous though. Yes he's made a few cock ups, he sure as hell wouldn't be playing for hibs if he was perfect.

Put it this way; if he hadn't made these errors in the past nobody would be blaming him for that wonder strike today. That's not right imo. If anyone's looking for a scapegoat then perhaps look at the referees decision to give the free kick in the first place, otherwise just accept that it was a great strike.

DH1875
23-08-2015, 09:46 PM
I don't think Oxley was to blame for the goal. That said, I do still wonder why Cerny wasn't given more of a chance when he was here. See he had another good game for thistle today. On a side note. Also see the yams got another pen ffs.

Billy Whizz
23-08-2015, 09:47 PM
I don't think Oxley was to blame for the goal. That said, I do still wonder why Cerny wasn't given more of a chance when he was here. See he had another good game for thistle today. On a side note. Also see the yams got another pen ffs.

Flapped at Hearts 2nd goal yesterday

hfc rd
23-08-2015, 10:03 PM

It was a very good free kick that should never have been. I wouldn't blame Oxley for that goal. It was an absolute thunderbolt. If Messi or Ronaldo had scored that, we wouldn't have heard the end of it. Yeah he could have taken a few steps back but I don't think him nor anyone else was expecting Tavernier to have a ping from there. It definitely took me by surprise. Tavernier couldn't have hit that any better. But Oxley played well today. It's the players in the final third that need to have a look at themselves for their poor lacklustre finishing that cost us from getting anything from the game and the ref for that decision.

Baldy Foghorn
23-08-2015, 11:02 PM
Blaming him for today's goal is plain ridiculous though. Yes he's made a few cock ups, he sure as hell wouldn't be playing for hibs if he was perfect.

Put it this way; if he hadn't made these errors in the past nobody would be blaming him for that wonder strike today. That's not right imo. If anyone's looking for a scapegoat then perhaps look at the referees decision to give the free kick in the first place, otherwise just accept that it was a great strike.

For a big guy he loses too many similar goals IMO..... Good strike from acute angle but certainly not unstoppable....I'm not making him a scapegoat, I am asking if he should be doing better......(Loses a few from free kicks, too many for my liking). Look at reaction from Fontaine after it hits net, he obviously thinks he should have done better

silverhibee
23-08-2015, 11:41 PM

I'll defend him, he had no chance with that free kick.

silverhibee
23-08-2015, 11:47 PM
Unstoppable?!? Jesus Christ pathetic goalkeeping

Nah, just a great free kick that was in the air and dipped at the last moment and hit the underside of the bar, Oxley had no chance of getting it.

silverhibee
23-08-2015, 11:53 PM
For a big guy he loses too many similar goals IMO..... Good strike from acute angle but certainly not unstoppable....I'm not making him a scapegoat, I am asking if he should be doing better......(Loses a few from free kicks, too many for my liking). Look at reaction from Fontaine after it hits net, he obviously thinks he should have done better

If Fontaine had the gloves on today it would have been the same outcome, a goal, still don't no if he meant it but if he did then credit for a top class shot, not many keepers would have stopped that shot today.

Baldy Foghorn
23-08-2015, 11:54 PM
If Fontaine had the gloves on today it would have been the same outcome, a goal, still don't no if he meant it but if he did then credit for a top class shot, not many keepers would have stopped that shot today.

I reckon I would have saved it back in the glory days of Sunday Amateurs.... And glad you liked my shorts:wink:

silverhibee
24-08-2015, 12:07 AM
I reckon I would have saved it back in the glory days of Sunday Amateurs.... And glad you liked my shorts:wink:

I was about to beg a slug of your bottle of Irn Bru in the car park just as you vanished somewhere, and yip cool shorts. :thumbsup:

But honestly you were never getting that back in the glory days. :greengrin

JimBHibees
24-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Nah, just a great free kick that was in the air and dipped at the last moment and hit the underside of the bar, Oxley had no chance of getting it.

Agree totally.

Leithenhibby
24-08-2015, 10:36 AM

:agree:

Some times we just have to put our hands up and give credit where it's due.

It was a cracking free kick (from their point of view :wink:) and it has been said many times, the Ox wasn't getting it. Other than that, I thought he had a solid game.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Not blaming him for losing, but questioning him at the goal......

Fontaine didnae seem to be too impressed with Oxley when the ball ended up in the net.

Leithenhibby
24-08-2015, 11:01 AM
Fontaine didnae seem to be too impressed with Oxley when the ball ended up in the net.

I saw that also. Think when he watches it again he will realise how good a free kick it was.

Had that been, Frank Sauzee, Derek Riordan or Ally McLeod taking a free kick in that fashion, we would give the credit to the taker... :agree:

WeeRussell
24-08-2015, 11:24 AM
Not a big fan of Oxley as a keeper by any stretch, and even less a fan of giving their players any praise.

But that was a superb free-kick; one worthy of credit rather than blame.

Oxley kept us in the game today, not the other way round.

we are hibs
24-08-2015, 11:24 AM
Oxley should've done better, it's not unreasonable to ask that your goalkeeper doesn't let in a freekick From that angle.

Turkish Green
24-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Thomas Cerny at Thistle is putting in some good performances despite playing behind a ghost of a defence. One wonders what would have been last season if Stubbs had opted for Cerny for the Play Offs.

What is clear from watching the re-runs is that Oxley was totally out of position at the goal.

Centre Hawf
24-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Ive felt the criticism labelled at Oxley has been harsh since resigning especially. However yesterday he cost us a point and more ground in the title chase. Yes it was a great free kick. But to say no keeper would save it is just wrong.

Its like Oxley doesn't know where his line is when the ball goes over his head, Öztürk Halliday and Tavernier have all exposed that with similar goals. Get it in under the bar and he's panicking.

Danderhall Hibs
24-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Ive felt the criticism labelled at Oxley has been harsh since resigning especially. However yesterday he cost us a point and more ground in the title chase. Yes it was a great free kick. But to say no keeper would save it is just wrong.

Its like Oxley doesn't know where his line is when the ball goes over his head, Öztürk Halliday and Tavernier have all exposed that with similar goals. Get it in under the bar and he's panicking.

The 2 saves he made saved us from a doing.

Bad Martini
24-08-2015, 11:55 AM

It was a cracking free kick (from their point of view :wink:) and it has been said many times, the Ox wasn't getting it. Other than that, I thought he had a solid game.

Crazy talk...why do that when we can blame someone and get a good old slapping on their confidence to boot. After all, Oxley's down on his scoring this season too in comparison to last season...much like Cummings and we wont mention that laddie Henderson's sitters :rolleyes:

I agree with you. Oxley wasnt to blame for our loss and he wasnt bad yesterday. Had that freekick been fired in the English Premiership, you can bet the keeper wouldnt have been blamed and the scorer would have been hailed for a perfect goal...sometimes, **** happens.

What bothers me FAR more is the fact it wasnt a free kick!!! Fekers.

Danderhall Hibs
24-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Thomas Cerny at Thistle is putting in some good performances despite playing behind a ghost of a defence. One wonders what would have been last season if Stubbs had opted for Cerny for the Play Offs.

What is clear from watching the re-runs is that Oxley was totally out of position at the goal.

What happened in the play-offs like? He kept a clean sheet in one of the 2 matches!

Can't go on blaming the goalie for the otehr 10 players' inability to convert chances.

BTW - didn't Cerny chuck one in at the weekend?

hibbymick
24-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Hes an average keeper at best, but still has age on his side to go on and have a decent career. Maybe a wee spell on the bench is what he needs.

Danderhall Hibs
24-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Hes an average keeper at best, but still has age on his side to go on and have a decent career. Maybe a wee spell on the bench is what he needs.

Maybe we can think about that when he makes some mistakes. As it is he's kept us in/kept the score down in the last 2 matches.

silverhibee
24-08-2015, 12:07 PM

A bit like when we would say great things about Griffiths and Riordan with some of there top notch free kicks, can't remember folk saying the goalie was to blame at these times, it was more a, what a cracking free kick and the goalie had no chance of getting them.

hibbymick
24-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Maybe we can think about that when he makes some mistakes. As it is he's kept us in/kept the score down in the last 2 matches.

Thats only your opinion of course.

silverhibee
24-08-2015, 12:09 PM
I saw that also. Think when he watches it again he will realise how good a free kick it was.

Had that been, Frank Sauzee, Derek Riordan or Ally McLeod taking a free kick in that fashion, we would give the credit to the taker... :agree:

Just posted something the same, Fontaine once he has seen it will surely realise it was just a good freekick.

hibbymick
24-08-2015, 12:10 PM

A bit like when we would say great things about Griffiths and Riordan with some of there top notch free kicks, can't remember folk saying the goalie was to blame at these times, it was more a, what a cracking free kick and the goalie had no chance of getting them.

Thats because we had no interest in what the keeper did. More than likely the teams fans who they were scoring against were not overly impressed with their goalie.

Danderhall Hibs
24-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Thats only your opinion of course.

You can have a different opinion but only if you choose to ignore the 3 point blank saves he's made in the 2 matches.

#FromTheCapital
24-08-2015, 12:13 PM

Agree with the bit in bold.

However, we have to remember that we're playing in the second tier of Scottish football. I think a keeper at Oxleys level is about as good as it gets for us at the moment. For any keeper to save that would have taken something special and we're just not going to get that from Oxley.

The Ozturk example is equally as ridiculous. Instead of trying to find fault or blame, maybe we shopuld just accept these great goals for what they are.

Danderhall Hibs
24-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Agree with the bit in bold.

However, we have to remember that we're playing in the second tier of Scottish football. I think a keeper at Oxleys level is about as good as it gets for us at the moment. For any keeper to save that would have taken something special and we're just not going to get that from Oxley.

The Ozturk example is equally as ridiculous. Instead of trying to find fault or blame, maybe we shopuld just accept these great goals for what they are.

Oxley didn't really get the blame for the Ozturk tae punt last year - he wasn't the target then. It was probably that Liam Craig didn't chase him down that caused that goal last year.

silverhibee
24-08-2015, 12:22 PM

So do we stick Cummings Henderson Stevenson etc etc on the bench as well for a wee spell to.

He wasn't to blame for the goal, it was a superb free kick, if he meant it, blaming Oxley for it is just making people look stupid on here about what goalies are capable of doing, from where the freekick was taken from where do you think Oxley should have been positioned for the cross/shot coming in.

Brooster
24-08-2015, 12:25 PM
A decent keeper would've tipped it over the bar. Oxley isn't a decent keeper.

easty
24-08-2015, 12:31 PM
So do we stick Cummings Henderson Stevenson etc etc on the bench as well for a wee spell to.

He wasn't to blame for the goal, it was a superb free kick, if he meant it, blaming Oxley for it is just making people look stupid on here about what goalies are capable of doing, from where the freekick was taken from where do you think Oxley should have been positioned for the cross/shot coming in.

silverhibee
24-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Thats because we had no interest in what the keeper did. More than likely the teams fans who they were scoring against were not overly impressed with their goalie.

Or the opposing fans just thought they were done by a great bit of technique on the day and didn't blame the goalie.

Can't believe there are a few threads with folk having ago at Oxley and yet nothing being said about the sitters missed by Cummings and Henderson yesterday, or is it okay for Cummings to get one goal from every 5 chances he gets, yet Oxley is being slated here for a goal that not many keepers would have managed to save but kept us in the game with a few good saves but it's okay for the lads upfront to get away scot free for the chances they missed which could have put the game to bed in the first half for us, while killing them of with our other chances missed in the 2nd half.

hibbymick
24-08-2015, 12:39 PM

Is the squad just for injuries? Any player that looks like hes not performing should take a spell on the bench IMO.

silverhibee
24-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Oxley didn't really get the blame for the Ozturk tae punt last year - he wasn't the target then. It was probably that Liam Craig didn't chase him down that caused that goal last year.

Said that at the time, " why is Craig not closing him down" and boom, cracking strike and goal.

silverhibee
24-08-2015, 12:58 PM
A decent keeper would've tipped it over the bar. Oxley isn't a decent keeper.

I doubt that very much Brooster, give the player some credit for a great free kick, Oxley had no chance unless he positioned himself at the back post, which he isn't going to be doing from where the free kick is being taken.

Peevemor
24-08-2015, 01:05 PM
I doubt that very much Brooster, give the player some credit for a great free kick, Oxley had no chance unless he positioned himself at the back post, which he isn't going to be doing from where the free kick is being taken.

Exactly. The ball dipped into the top corner at pace - difficult for any keeper to stop.

silverhibee
24-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Is the squad just for injuries? Any player that looks like hes not performing should take a spell on the bench IMO.

Let Stubbs decide, your not coming across as a very good football manager.

hibbymick
24-08-2015, 01:09 PM
Exactly. The ball dipped into the top corner at pace - difficult for any keeper to stop.

Ive just looked at it another few times and he actually moves forward to the front post slightly as the ball gets kicked, so probably putting himself on the front foot.

hibbymick
24-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Let Stubbs decide, your not coming across as a very good football manager.

Im no too happy with some of his decisions either :greengrin