PDA

View Full Version : Plymouth v Carlisle

Billy Whizz
18-08-2015, 04:56 PM
I know we, quite rightly, give our association a hard time over fixture planning!
Who in their right mind would plan this for a league fixture on a Tuesday night. 780 mile round trip.
Makes our night trips to Dingwall/Inverness look like a walk in the park

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-08-2015, 05:04 PM
My mate introduced me to the delights of Carlisle, it could have only been the Stobbart trucks that made him pick them for his English team! Botchergate has brought me much fun since though!

Waxy
18-08-2015, 05:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Australia had to play Scotland on a weeknight many moons ago. Makes Plymouth to Carlisle look like a trip to the bus stop.

silverhibee
18-08-2015, 06:20 PM
I know we, quite rightly, give our association a hard time over fixture planning!
Who in their right mind would plan this for a league fixture on a Tuesday night. 780 mile round trip.
Makes our night trips to Dingwall/Inverness look like a walk in the park

Not a night game, but the longest i have travelled in a day/night was to Exeter, near enough a 900 mile round trip. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
18-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Not a night game, but the longest i have travelled in a day/night was to Exeter, near enough a 900 mile round trip. :greengrin

Again not a night game but when Newcastle were relegated a few years back a couple of my mates done the away trip to Plymouth, 435 miles each way and they did it in the one day. Newcastle won the league that day and sure about 5000 made the journey.

southern hibby
18-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Used to travel up from Portsmouth for Hibs games home and away. Aberdeen Inverness Ross county was a nightmare as I was knackered

GGTTH

givescotlandfreedom
18-08-2015, 07:15 PM
Mega respect!

Sir David Gray
18-08-2015, 07:42 PM
It gets better - apparently the return game at Carlisle is due to be played on January 2nd!

Seriously, who makes these decisions!? :bitchy:

Posh Swanny
19-08-2015, 09:53 AM
169 Carlisle fans made the trip apparently! :not worth

Alex Trager
19-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Again not a night game but when Newcastle were relegated a few years back a couple of my mates done the away trip to Plymouth, 435 miles each way and they did it in the one day. Newcastle won the league that day and sure about 5000 made the journey.

That would be an utterly tremendous return journey

Smartie
19-08-2015, 10:52 AM
A friend of mine at Uni (Dundee Uni) was a Plymouth fan.

He said that Carlisle was a favourite away day of the Plymouth fans, loads would go from Plymouth and all the "ex-pat" Plymouth fans in the North would make a special effort to get to that one.

Obviously being based in Dundee it was his favourite and he mad a special effort to get along to that one and he once asked me to go along to one with him for a wee day out. It was to be a nice, sunny end-of-season affair and they were going to take a good few fans that day.

For whatever reason I declined, but it turned out I missed the game when Jimmy Glass scored the last-minute goal to keep Carlisle in the football league.

Gatecrasher
19-08-2015, 11:17 AM
169 Carlisle fans made the trip apparently! :not worth

apparently sky put busses on for them.

PatHead
19-08-2015, 01:06 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33858304

Billy Whizz
19-08-2015, 01:08 PM
A friend of mine at Uni (Dundee Uni) was a Plymouth fan.

He said that Carlisle was a favourite away day of the Plymouth fans, loads would go from Plymouth and all the "ex-pat" Plymouth fans in the North would make a special effort to get to that one.

Obviously being based in Dundee it was his favourite and he mad a special effort to get along to that one and he once asked me to go along to one with him for a wee day out. It was to be a nice, sunny end-of-season affair and they were going to take a good few fans that day.

For whatever reason I declined, but it turned out I missed the game when Jimmy Glass scored the last-minute goal to keep Carlisle in the football league.

Was at the Carlisle v Hibs friendly a couple of years ago. It was like a scene from Ok coral at the end of the game. Riot police everywhere

Billy Whizz
19-08-2015, 01:09 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33858304

They'd be better in the Scottish league

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-08-2015, 01:25 PM
I'm pretty sure Australia had to play Scotland on a weeknight many moons ago. Makes Plymouth to Carlisle look like a trip to the bus stop.

Would a Saturday at 1500 have made any difference?

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-08-2015, 01:30 PM
Was at the Carlisle v Hibs friendly a couple of years ago. It was like a scene from Ok coral at the end of the game. Riot police everywhere

Great few days that was, home from Maribor at midnight on the Saturday then down to Carlisle on the choo choo in the morning. I mind being in The Border Rambler and pretty much everyone in the boozer had backed Vela for first scorer for Arsenal v Celtic IIRC he scored after about 5 mins, happy days! :-)

essexhibee
19-08-2015, 01:32 PM
Fair play to those that made the trip. Respect!