PDA

View Full Version : This weekend is important for us

bigwheel
06-08-2015, 06:18 PM
Getting excited - this opening game of the season could be really important for us. After last years poor start, getting off to a solid start could set a different tone for the season. It seems with our injuries, it's going to be 4-5 weeks before we have our first team fully available for us, so these early weeks, with a weakened first 11 could make our break our overall season...if we can get a decent point total, then we are well off and running..

Any views??

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-08-2015, 06:23 PM
We're 1/2 at the bookies, not much value there

Thecat23
06-08-2015, 06:23 PM
I agree, any draws or defeats early on like last year will kill off any promotion as I think The Rangers will come out the traps flying! We know how teams play even with a weakened squad we should win these games.

scoopyboy
06-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Getting excited - this opening game of the season could be really important for us. After last years poor start, getting off to a solid start could set a different tone for the season. It seems with our injuries, it's going to be 4-5 weeks before we have our first team fully available for us, so these early weeks, with a weakened first 11 could make our break our overall season...if we can get a decent point total, then we are well off and running..

Any views??

A win is the only acceptable result.

A draw on Saturday, beating Morton and losing at Ibrox would probably leave us five points behind them after three games.

Hibernia&Alba
06-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Until everyone is available we must show the knowhow to get results by hook or by crook. What we mustn't do is allow Rangers/a.n. other to get an early lead. Hibs MUST make a credible title challenge this season, no excuses. Two seasons in the Championship is more than enough.

Keith_M
06-08-2015, 06:26 PM
I agree, any draws or defeats early on like last year will kill off any promotion as I think The Rangers will come out the traps flying! We know how teams play even with a weakened squad we should win these games.

I just hope Rangers don't do what Hearts did last year, or we're in for a real challenge.

bigwheel
06-08-2015, 06:28 PM
I just hope Rangers don't do what Hearts did last year, or we're in for a real challenge.

I hope we do :)

bingo70
06-08-2015, 06:32 PM

Exactly why league reconstruction is a good thing, even if the rangers could potentially benefit from it.

Fwiw I worry about the lack of creativity in our team for this game if Allan doesn't play. Hopefully we get off to a flyer but I've got my concerns.

portyhibernian
06-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Saturday in my opinion is simply a must win game. We need a strong start and these are the games that we have to be winning to give ourselves any chance to win the league, the games against Sevco will take care of themselves.

Hamish
06-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Tomorrow night could be interesting. St Mirren will be hoping to put down a marker. Think they feel they are being dismissed as also rans.

Kojock
06-08-2015, 06:36 PM
FFS its Dumbarton were playing not Barcelona.

Sir David Gray
06-08-2015, 06:47 PM
The day I start worrying about Hibs playing Dumbarton is the day I jack it all in.

Even with a weakened team, we should winning comfortably on Saturday.

B.H.F.C
06-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Anything other than a win isn't good enough. Don't care about the injuries, we are playing a part time side.

Essential we go to Ibrox with 6 points on the board in a couple of weeks.

Billy Whizz
06-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Anything other than a win isn't good enough. Don't care about the injuries, we are playing a part time side.

Essential we go to Ibrox with 6 points on the board in a couple of weeks.

Absolutely, nothing less than 6 points, if we have visions of going up automatically.

Pretty Boy
06-08-2015, 07:08 PM
We need to be, and really should be, going to Ibrox with 6 points in the bag imo.

Getting a good start is crucial this year and we need to still be alive in the title race come January when we can assess where we are. We. can't afford a start like last year when our titles hopes were dead after 6 or 7 weeks.

Huge season starting with a massive game on Saturday.

Ozyhibby
06-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Do we have Keatings, Carmichael and McGinn available?

bingo70
06-08-2015, 08:10 PM

Doubt it, mcginn possibly but he won't have played any pre season games so I wouldn't have thought he'd be ready. Malongas got to be a doubt as well.

high bee
06-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Tomorrow night could be interesting. St Mirren will be hoping to put down a marker. Think they feel they are being dismissed as also rans.

I fancy St Mirren to take something on Friday night.

FromTheCapital
06-08-2015, 08:24 PM
I've heard a few say that Malonga and Boyle will miss out but Carmichael and Keatings are fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S4uzee
06-08-2015, 08:27 PM
I fancy St Mirren to take something on Friday night.
I can almost guarantee they won't

Sir David Gray
06-08-2015, 08:33 PM

:agree: I reckon Sevco will win by a couple of goals.

high bee
06-08-2015, 08:38 PM
:agree: I reckon Sevco will win by a couple of goals.

That is the most probable outcome but I just have a feeling...

My feelings normally turn out to be nonsense but that's not the point.

Ronniekirk
06-08-2015, 10:02 PM

Had a few St Mirren season ticket holders in my house tonight ,they are still in process of building a squad ,and don't fancy thier chances at all

Billy Whizz
06-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Had a few St Mirren season ticket holders in my house tonight ,they are still in process of building a squad ,and don't fancy thier chances at all

Must have been a Paisley party, with free drink involved

Ronniekirk
06-08-2015, 10:08 PM
Must have been a Paisley party, with free drink involved

Will pm you

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-08-2015, 10:12 PM

Keatings and McGinn were fully involved in training when we were on the stv news at 6pm. McGinn was interviewed and said that he's raring to go and if he picked the team then he would definitely pick himself to start [emoji4]

son of haggart
07-08-2015, 12:26 AM
I think you'll skoosh it apart from the new hun

I hope you do their horrible spotty bums, but i fear they will twist it their way somehow

lord bunberry
07-08-2015, 01:05 AM
I will feel more confident about Saturday if Malonga is fit and Scott Allan is starting.

Forza Fred
07-08-2015, 11:41 PM
FFS its Dumbarton were playing not Barcelona.

And we are Hibs, not Real Madrid:greengrin

I am very concerned that for all our justification for last season being that, with so much going on and a limited time we were not fully ready for the new season,that we are not much different this time either.

We have at least 4 players who I would consider to be first team regulars who for various reasons..injuries..have yet to make an appearance for us pre season!

Now we can dress that up to try and put a positive spin on it any way we choose,but from a totally objective viewpoint it is not good.

One season we WILL be ready by the long published kick off date, but once again,I fear it's not this season, and I see us attempting to play catch up again.

Sorry if that is not the positive message that many would like to see, but it's the heid' talking,not the Hib.

Pete
07-08-2015, 11:55 PM
Bit early for all this pressure and talk of "must win" games already. We're a million miles from where we were last year in terms of preparation and there's no way well have a start like that again.

Worth bearing in mind when we drop a point or two.

silverhibee
08-08-2015, 12:05 AM
3 pts, nothing else is good enough.

Forza Fred
08-08-2015, 01:30 AM
3 pts, nothing else is good enough.

Totally agree.

We know exactly what we have to do..finish above Rangers.

We are not the only club who will claim they are starting the season better prepared.....Rangers certainly will.

They won't drop many points to the likes of Dumbarton and we can't afford to either.

Three points against a part time club even away from home with a depleted squad, is still to me, a must.

Pete
08-08-2015, 01:45 AM
Totally agree.

Three points against a part time club even away from home with a depleted squad, is still to me, a must.

So what happens if we don't win the "must win" first game of the season?

Is that it?

cabbageandribs1875
08-08-2015, 01:57 AM
what about the 35 games after tomorrow, they're just as important and must win games as well shirly

:)

Forza Fred
08-08-2015, 02:19 AM

Is that it?

I think it would be an indicator that promotion was much more likely to come about via the play offs

Pete
08-08-2015, 03:55 AM
I think it would be an indicator that promotion was much more likely to come about via the play offs

Single games are rarely indicators of anything, first games of the season even less so.

I hope the boys at the games are a bit more patient and don't have this expectant attitude.

Forza Fred
08-08-2015, 03:58 AM
Single games are rarely indicators of anything, first games of the season even less so.

I hope the boys at the games are a bit more patient and don't have this expectant attitude.

I just hope they win, then the argument becomes academic

blackpoolhibs
08-08-2015, 05:38 AM

Is that it?

It will mean we are already playing catch up, dont you wish just for once we were the team others were chasing?

That's my hope for he coming season.

Ronniekirk
08-08-2015, 07:41 AM

Is that it?

It's only the first game of the season ,so of course that's not it .But we have made it clear we need to get of to a good start this time round ,and therefore three points are crucial ,and I don't care if it's not achieved with free flowing football , that will come once we have a full squad ,fully match fit .
It's important we don't start by playing catch up. Ideally we wouldn't of been pkaying The Rangers third game in ,given we haven't a full squad ,but we are where we are ,and its crucial we go into that game with two wins and six points under our belt .

DH1875
08-08-2015, 07:49 AM
If Dumbarton beat us are they gonna win the league, course not. Same if we lose, its not all over. I'd just like us to win so that we aren't starting with the pressure. A nice easy couple of weeks before we go to ibrox would be great. Win the next first two and even if we lose at ibrox it'll only be 3 points and we can kick on from there.

Jack
08-08-2015, 07:50 AM
Should we have a sweep to see how many 'this is a/the most important game of the season' threads this season?

Waxy
08-08-2015, 08:14 AM
Hopefully a win big enough to put us top on goal difference.

PeeJay
08-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Should we have a sweep to see how many 'this is a/the most important game of the season' threads this season?

Maybe if we treated every single game as the most important game we could actually get out of this league?

SON OF PADDY
08-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Hopefully a win big enough to put us top on goal difference.

Buzzing first game of the Season ! Sell out away support, let's all get behind the team " whoever's playing " and CHEER them on to victory. GGTTH

rosshfc95
08-08-2015, 08:26 AM
I think realistically we should expect to win every game apart from rangers away if we really want to win the league. As I cant see them dropping stupid points as the did last year.

Jim44
08-08-2015, 08:42 AM
If we are going to do anything this season we have to hit the ground running. I think we will win at a canter if Allan plays from the start. With Sevco winning last night and unlikely to drop many points, anything less than a win will set the tone for the season. Forget the 'first game of the season' cop out, it's the first game of the season for Dumbarton as well. We have a far superior squad than them and if we don't do the business, I think alarm bells will quietly start ringing in the background.

Forza Fred
08-08-2015, 09:04 AM
If we are going to do anything this season we have to hit the ground running. I think we will win at a canter if Allan plays from the start. With Sevco winning last night and unlikely to drop many points, anything less than a win will set the tone for the season. Forget the 'first game of the season' cop out, it's the first game of the season for Dumbarton as well. We have a far superior squad than them and if we don't do the business, I think alarm bells will quietly start ringing in the background.

Jim, the only thing I disagree with you here is about the noise the alarm bells will be making if we don't win.

Don't think they will be as quiet as you suggest:wink:

Let's hope we get a 3-0 win and jump above Sevco:flag:

matty_f
08-08-2015, 09:04 AM
I have to say, at the start of last season I thought "it's OK, we'll catch them next week " except we never did. The time we got our act together they were already out of sight.

Ideally, we want The Rangers chasing us all season.

Eyrie
08-08-2015, 09:12 AM

I'll say 36.

HFC 0-7
08-08-2015, 09:13 AM

Is that it?

Last season shows that a team can easily run away with the league, dropping very few points. Any lost points now could be the reason why we don't win the league. It would be good for the team to have a mentality that dropped points at any stage in the season is not acceptable and understand that dropped points now against the weaker opposition could cost us the league.

Also, it's good to build confidence, start the season well and confidence will be high, start it poorly and we will be trailing behind rivals and confidence could be effected.

matty_f
08-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Last season shows that a team can easily run away with the league, dropping very few points. Any lost points now could be the reason why we don't win the league. It would be good for the team to have a mentality that dropped points at any stage in the season is not acceptable and understand that dropped points now against the weaker opposition could cost us the league.

Also, it's good to build confidence, start the season well and confidence will be high, start it poorly and we will be trailing behind rivals and confidence could be effected.

:agree: The three points that we can collect today count just the same as three points later in the season.