PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Round League Cup draw - Hibs v Stranraer

Billy Whizz
01-08-2015, 05:37 PM
Takes place on Monday at 2.30pm, not sure if it's televised or not?
The 15 first-round winners from Friday/Saturday/Sunday, will be joined by Dundee, Hamilton Accies, Partick Thistle, Ross County, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and St Mirren.
Are we seeded?

hibbysam
01-08-2015, 05:44 PM
If there is 11 ties, and only 7 premiership clubs from last year then yes we will be seeded as we will be '9th seeds' in the table from last year, we won't be seeded in the last 16 should we win I wouldn't imagine.

Billy Whizz
01-08-2015, 05:46 PM
If there is 11 ties, and only 7 premiership clubs from last year then yes we will be seeded as we will be '9th seeds' in the table from last year, we won't be seeded in the last 16 should we win I wouldn't imagine.

That's what I thought, but haven't seen it confirmed anywhere

hibbysam
01-08-2015, 05:59 PM
That's what I thought, but haven't seen it confirmed anywhere

It's definitely the rules for seedings for round 3 so round 2 must be the same.

Sir David Gray
02-08-2015, 03:47 PM
Sevco are 3-0 up against Peterhead with a few minutes left so it looks like the second round teams have been confirmed as;

Pot 1 (seeds)

Dundee
Hamilton
Partick Thistle
Ross County
Kilmarnock
Motherwell
St Mirren
Hearts
Hibs
Sevco
Queen of the South

Pot 2 (non-seeds)

Falkirk
Raith Rovers
Livingston
Greenock Morton
Stranraer
Forfar
Airdrie
Dunfermline
Ayr
East Fife
Berwick Rangers

Home draw against Berwick Rangers please. :aok:

Greencore
02-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Ayr at home please!!!

Keith_M
02-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Not sure I agree with this seeding nonsense. Should just be 'the luck of the draw'.

Thecat23
02-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Not sure I agree with this seeding nonsense. Should just be 'the luck of the draw'.

This, everyone in the hat and whoever you are paired with you play them. I don't agree with Seeding any teams in any comp! Including World Cups and Euros.

Hibeesmad
02-08-2015, 05:56 PM

I really fancy a trip away to Aberdeen or Killie etc, anything to actually enjoy a decent game instead of paying £15 to watch us at home to the likes of Forfar

Stokesy's on fire
02-08-2015, 06:28 PM
airdrie away would be good fun

Stokesy's on fire
02-08-2015, 06:31 PM
I really fancy a trip away to Aberdeen or Killie etc, anything to actually enjoy a decent game instead of paying £15 to watch us at home to the likes of Forfar

Aberdeen play in a rank hole of a ground that's worse than most of grounds in the league we play in so I hope we avoid them...however I think Hibs could roast the sheep and they would be in floods of tears if we dumped them out the cup. Pleasing.

bingo70
02-08-2015, 06:35 PM
This, everyone in the hat and whoever you are paired with you play them. I don't agree with Seeding any teams in any comp! Including World Cups and Euros.

Agreed, the draw should be right after the last game as well, God knows why they hide it at Monday lunch time when most folk are at work.

Hibernia&Alba
02-08-2015, 06:37 PM

Aye, a day with nutters and psychopaths. Airdrie fans make Huns look tolerant and civilised.

inglisavhibs
02-08-2015, 06:44 PM
No astro pitches please.

derekduval
02-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Agreed, the draw should be right after the last game as well, God knows why they hide it at Monday lunch time when most folk are at work.
Keeps it in the news carries it over to the Tuesday - good for sponsorship.

lord bunberry
02-08-2015, 07:04 PM
No doubt the draw is followed by a free lunch for the Blazers.

Stokesy's on fire
02-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Aye, a day with nutters and psychopaths. Airdrie fans make Huns look tolerant and civilised.

I thought airdrie fans = Huns?

Hibernia&Alba
02-08-2015, 09:03 PM
I thought airdrie fans = Huns?

I think Airdrie fans are Rangers fans who have been told they're too bigoted to be admitted. It's a bit like being turned down as a Nazi Stormtrooper on the grounds of being too racist.

greenlex
02-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Home tie against the weakest team left please.

danhibees1875
02-08-2015, 11:05 PM
Home tie vs East Fife.

I'd be curious to see a breakdown of Semi-finals and finals between the LC and Scottish cup to see if seeding actually does ensure the biggest teams end up in the showpiece games (which I assume is the point of it).

I can understand it's use in the World Cup and the like though. :agree:

worcesterhibby
03-08-2015, 08:46 AM
Home tie vs East Fife.

I'd be curious to see a breakdown of Semi-finals and finals between the LC and Scottish cup to see if seeding actually does ensure the biggest teams end up in the showpiece games (which I assume is the point of it).

I can understand it's use in the World Cup and the like though. :agree:

A random draw as opposed to a seeded draw will not stop the best team winning the cup, it will only ever stop the 2nd best team coming 2nd.

Keith_M
03-08-2015, 08:54 AM
A random draw as opposed to a seeded draw will not stop the best team winning the cup, it will only ever stop the 2nd best team coming 2nd.

My feeling is that seeding is there to ensure as many games as possible for the bigger clubs.

For instance, It's not possible to have an early round draw of Aberdeen v Celtc, thereby eliminating one of them immediately.

IMHO, that takes some of the excitement out of it.

worcesterhibby
03-08-2015, 09:02 AM
My feeling is that seeding is there to ensure as many games as possible for the bigger clubs.

For instance, It's not possible to have an early round draw of Aberdeen v Celtc, thereby eliminating one of them immediately.

Indeed..with a random draw the best team still wins the competition, however it makes it more likely that the final and the semi's will be played by the usual suspects. A random draw makes it more likely that a smaller team/underdog will make the semi's or final..which is surely what cup football is all about.

I have to admit it is slightly different with World Cup/Euros qualifying..a random draw could mean that Germany/Spain/Italy/France were all in the same qualifying group and only one of them would definitely qualify for the finals..which would be a bit unjust. Once it get's to the finals though, there should be no seeding imho

Geo_1875
03-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Indeed..with a random draw the best team still wins the competition, however it makes it more likely that the final and the semi's will be played by the usual suspects. A random draw makes it more likely that a smaller team/underdog will make the semi's or final..which is surely what cup football is all about.

I have to admit it is slightly different with World Cup/Euros qualifying..a random draw could mean that Germany/Spain/Italy/France were all in the same qualifying group and only one of them would definitely qualify for the finals..which would be a bit unjust. Once it get's to the finals though, there should be no seeding imho

Why is it unjust? It is only a possibility not a likelihood.

Seeding in all competitions is about the "big teams" avoiding shock exits and losing out on cash. As is the group stages of the "Champions" league. Too many early exits means less interest from tv fans and loss of income for SKY.

Keith_M
03-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Why is it unjust? It is only a possibility not a likelihood.

Seeding in all competitions is about the "big teams" avoiding shock exits and losing out on cash. As is the group stages of the "Champions" league. Too many early exits means less interest from tv fans and loss of income for SKY.

So why not just ban all the smaller clubs from even entering and just let the larger ones go straight to the 'latter stages'?

The same small group of clubs inhabit the latter stages of the Champions League just now. Some of us find that situation more than a bit tedious.

liamh2202
03-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Yes and the rich get richer and smaller teams get smaller. The old saying of 11v11 is no longer accurate IMO.

Hermit Crab
03-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Are all seeded teams drawn at home?

SteveHFC
03-08-2015, 11:21 AM
Fancy Forfar away :hyper

Bad Martini
03-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Putting aside the seeding nonsense, I'd still take the weakest team possible and then them in the next round :greengrin:aok:

Torto7062
03-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Is the draw live ie TV or radio....even Twitter

brog
03-08-2015, 11:33 AM

Not just that but teams who've already been horsed out of Europe not even entering the comp yet because of their European commitments! We have one league with 38 games & 3 with 36 games yet we can't fit all the games in! Contrast this with 3 English leagues with 46 games a season. Another Scottish organisational joke.

ballengeich
03-08-2015, 11:34 AM

On the other hand, the smaller teams that are in the draw are virtually guaranteed a decent pay day. While Saturday's attendance at ER was poor by Hibs' standard, Montrose's cut was a good bit above what they get from a league game or a cup tie against another lower league team.

QUOTE=Hermit Crab;4430776]Are all seeded teams drawn at home?[/QUOTE]

No - it's 50-50.

andrew70
03-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Not just that but teams who've already been horsed out of Europe not even entering the comp yet because of their European commitments! We have one league with 38 games & 3 with 36 games yet we can't fit all the games in! Contrast this with 3 English leagues with 46 games a season. Another Scottish organisational joke.l

The reason it's called a league cup is why it is seeded. The teams who finish higher in the league are rewarded as such in terms of seeding, starting later in competition. It's the same down south I believe as well the early rounds being split by region, North and South.

The English also play several midweek ties in the league!

Keith_M
03-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Away to Airdrie, please.

A team we won't be meeting in the league any time soon..... but without the associated argument over Loyalty Points.

:wink:

liamh2202
03-08-2015, 11:43 AM
l

The reason it's called a league cup is why it is seeded. The teams who finish higher in the league are rewarded as such in terms of seeding, starting later in competition. It's the same down south I believe as well the early rounds being split by region, North and South.

The English also play several midweek ties in the league!

I aleways adssumed it was because once upon a time it had a league format

Keith_M
03-08-2015, 11:44 AM
The reason it's called a league cup is (because?) it is seeded.

No it's not.

It was a Cup that was introduced and run by the Scottish League, hence the 'League Cup' name.

Billy Whizz
03-08-2015, 11:48 AM

Seriously, how will they decide who's at home?

PatHead
03-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Guaranteed an away tie because I have bought a Cup Top up for the first time in ages.

liamh2202
03-08-2015, 12:02 PM

Surely they have three pots .. Dray seeded then unseeded then draw to see which ones at home.. Unless they just alternate what order they draw the pots

scoopyboy
03-08-2015, 12:08 PM

They alternate it Billy.

eg first tie - seeded v. unseeded
second tie - unseeded v. seeded
third tie - seeded v. unseeded
and so on.

Edit - not sure who will be at home in the first tie but I'm sure you will catch my drift.

Sir David Gray
03-08-2015, 12:10 PM

Every second seeded team drawn out will be at home and vice versa with the non seeds obviously.

Thecat23
03-08-2015, 12:15 PM
No it's not.

It was a Cup that was introduced and run by the Scottish League, hence the 'League Cup' name.

Was also played in a league format as well many years ago!

Billy Whizz
03-08-2015, 12:16 PM
They alternate it Billy.

eg first tie - seeded v. unseeded
second tie - unseeded v. seeded
third tie - seeded v. unseeded
and so on.

Edit - not sure who will be at home in the first tie but I'm sure you will catch my drift.

Ta

greenlex
03-08-2015, 12:16 PM
No it's not.

It was a Cup that was introduced and run by the Scottish League, hence the 'League Cup' name. :agree: Yup as opposed to the Scottish Cup that is run by the SFA.

worcesterhibby
03-08-2015, 12:30 PM
On the other hand, the smaller teams that are in the draw are virtually guaranteed a decent pay day. While Saturday's attendance at ER was poor by Hibs' standard, Montrose's cut was a good bit above what they get from a league game or a cup tie against another lower league team.

But it should be about winning games not making cash...this is everything that is wrong with the modern game !

calumhibee1
03-08-2015, 12:34 PM
But it should be about winning games not making cash...this is everything that is wrong with the modern game !

:agree:

Geo_1875
03-08-2015, 12:35 PM
So why not just ban all the smaller clubs from even entering and just let the larger ones go straight to the 'latter stages'?

The same small group of clubs inhabit the latter stages of the Champions League just now. Some of us find that situation more than a bit tedious.

I wasn't saying it was right just giving the reasoning behind it.

No seeding, no group stages and Champions only. Worked well for years.

FromTheCapital
03-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Is it streamed or televised anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
03-08-2015, 01:14 PM

Cup tie football has been about small sides making money against a big side. Forever and everywhere. It is everything that is right with the game for small clubs. And it's not modern!

James.
03-08-2015, 01:23 PM

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/rangers/1325830-follow-live-coverage-of-the-scottish-league-cup-second-round-draw/

NYHibby
03-08-2015, 01:23 PM

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/rangers/1325830-follow-live-coverage-of-the-scottish-league-cup-second-round-draw/

James.
03-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Hibernian v Stanraer

Sir David Gray
Home v Stranraer. :aok:

hibee_girl
Hibs v Stranraer

Keith_M
Was also played in a league format as well many years ago!

I know, I was at some of those games.

IIRC, mostly were poorly attended and quite dire fair. Although that could be applied to most Scottish Football in the late 70s :wink:

At one of those games, an older kid nicked my Hibs Flag. It wasn't you, was it?

greenlex
03-08-2015, 01:35 PM
That'll do.

mutley
03-08-2015, 01:36 PM
Got to be happy with that

Keith_M
Hibs v Stranraer

I wanted away v Airdrie

:boo hoo:

lord bunberry
Happy with that draw

NadeAteMyLunch!
Can't complain with that

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-08-2015, 01:39 PM
I wanted away v Airdrie

:boo hoo:

Airdrie have been reserved for what shall now be Bigot-Fest 2015

Airdrie v Sevco

Abandon all hope as you enter the stadium [emoji57]

S4uzee
03-08-2015, 01:40 PM
Glad I got the cup top up before the Rangers game now

Onceinawhile
03-08-2015, 01:40 PM
Stranraer looked a decent team last year, but we should have enough to dispose of them.

How many rounds are there in the league cup?

Thecat23
03-08-2015, 01:43 PM
I know, I was at some of those games.

IIRC, mostly were poorly attended and quite dire fair. Although that could be applied to most Scottish Football in the late 70s :wink:

At one of those games, an older kid nicked my Hibs Flag. It wasn't you, was it?

😄 I'm only 37 so wasn't me I promise!

hibee_girl
03-08-2015, 01:43 PM
Stranraer looked a decent team last year, but we should have enough to dispose of them.

http://spfl.co.uk/league-cup/dates/

Moulin Yarns
03-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Ross County v Ayr United
Forfar Athletic v Heart of Midlothian
Kilmarnock v Berwick Rangers
Raith Rovers v Hamilton Academical
Queen of the South v Morton
Dunfermline Athletic v Dundee
Partick Thistle v Falkirk
East Fife v Motherwell
Hibernian v Stranraer
Airdrieonians v Rangers
St Mirren v Livingston

Ties to be played August 25/26

Onceinawhile
03-08-2015, 01:45 PM
http://spfl.co.uk/league-cup/dates/

Thanks. 4 wins from hampden!(assuming we don't get the of in the semi.)

Keith_M
03-08-2015, 01:48 PM
 I'm only 37 so wasn't me I promise!

OK, I admit it, I was mugged by a toddler.

Now gimme my flag back!

Sir David Gray
03-08-2015, 01:51 PM

Six rounds in total.

Round 1 - 15 ties
Round 2 - 11 ties
Round 3 - 8 ties (last 16)
Round 4 - 4 ties (Quarter finals)
Round 5 - 2 ties (Semi finals)
Round 6 - 1 tie (Final)

Hamish
03-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Our game will be the Wednesday as we are at Ibrox the previous Sunday

Stevie Reid
03-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Great draw and the cup top up proves to be a great investment again :thumbsup:

brog
03-08-2015, 02:13 PM
No it's not.

Yep. & only League teams can enter unlike the Scottish. A couple of things, I think this is the first time in the current format that we will have to play 6 games to win the cup. Secondly I remember the old league format with great fondness. It was, latterly, seeded also with 2 teams from top (div 1) & 2 from bottom (div2 ) in each group. As originally only one team qualified though it was still very competitive. Younger fans may not realise that when we won the LC we actually lost a game, 4-1 to Dons away. Re crowds my memory is that for games against smaller teams, eg Queens Pk in 1972 they were small, about 8k but I remember 3 games against Aberdeen at home in early 70's, not necessarily group games when IIRC there were 20k on each occasion & similarly a 1/4 vs Falkirk had well over 20k. I'm not necessarily advocating a return to a group format but it's not really working right now. I do find it bizarre that Yams play 6 games to win it while teams in the same div, St J & ICT will only have to play 4.

Baldy Foghorn
03-08-2015, 02:33 PM
Excellent, got to love the CTU........:thumbsup:

Hibernia&Alba
03-08-2015, 02:33 PM
That's an ideal draw; very happy.

Airdrie v Rangers. Every knuckledragger in the west of Scotland will be there. Commentary by David Attenborough :-D

hfc rd
03-08-2015, 02:38 PM
Good draw. I guess if we progress, we will be unseeded for the next round. Therefore we could get a premiership team in the 3rd round.

Bishop Hibee
03-08-2015, 02:39 PM
Our game will be the Wednesday as we are at Ibrox the previous Sunday

Good for me as I won't have to change my shift 👍🏻 Good draw for us. Cup top up a winner for those able to attend the games so far.

staunchhibby
03-08-2015, 02:46 PM
Ctu a good buy

Sir David Gray
03-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Good draw. I guess if we progress, we will be unseeded for the next round. Therefore we could get a premiership team in the 3rd round.

We'll almost certainly be unseeded for the 3rd round (assuming we beat Stranraer) unless no more than two teams win out of;

Dundee
Hamilton
Partick Thistle
Ross County
Kilmarnock
Motherwell
St Mirren
Hearts

Billy Whizz
03-08-2015, 03:02 PM

The ones who have it, could end up bankrupting the club!

Scorrie
03-08-2015, 03:03 PM
That's an ideal draw; very happy.

Airdrie v Rangers. Every knuckledragger in the west of Scotland will be there. Commentary by David Attenborough :-D

Shouldn't that be Newco v Sevco? the not original Airdrie against the new The Rangers...

Baldy Foghorn
03-08-2015, 03:06 PM
The ones who have it, could end up bankrupting the club!

Haha, nice try:fishin:

Hibernia&Alba
03-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Shouldn't that be Newco v Sevco? the not original Airdrie against the new The Rangers...

Aye, the football club formerly known as Clydebank versus the Bootleg Rangers. All tickets priced £16.90 and half time entertainment by Airdrie's finest flute band.

Sweet Left Peg
03-08-2015, 03:37 PM
Tough ties for Hamilton, QotS, Dundee and Thistle I would suggest.

Billy Whizz
03-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Wonder if ex Hibs winger, Paul Cairney will play against us. He wasn't in the Stranraer squad on Saturday. Maybe injured?

NAE NOOKIE
03-08-2015, 03:53 PM

Seeding works for Tennis because Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic or Roger Federer aint gonna get younger and so eventually a 'different' player will inevitably come through.

It doesn't work for football because nobody is going to come through to displace the giants like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Man Utd, Juventus etc. In fact lets face it ... If things don't change the Champions League is just gonna be same old, same old, every year ... its like that now for me. The last team ( or teams ) who couldn't be considered a giant to reach the final were Porto and Monaco over 10 years ago.

The WC and EC are even worse .. The last small country to even make the WC final was Czechoslovakia in 1962.

As far as I'm concerned seeding is killing football for small clubs and small countries and taking away any chance they might have to get lucky .... That might be fair, in that it ensures the biggest and best get to finals ........ but where the hell is the hope for millions of people who don't support big clubs or belong to big countries ..... more to the point, where's the bloody fun?

03-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Good draw :thumbsup:

banarc7062
03-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Excellent draw. The CTU has more than paid or itself. Delighted I opted for it. GGTTH :flag:

oneone73
03-08-2015, 06:00 PM
Excellent draw. The CTU has more than paid or itself. Delighted I opted for it. GGTTH :flag:

Really? 3x15=45. I paid £50 for the CTU.
Still hoping it'll prove value for money tho!

Eyrie
03-08-2015, 06:51 PM
The WC and EC are even worse .. The last small country to even make the WC final was Czechoslovakia in 1962.

World Cup yes, but Denmark (1992) and Greece (2004) have both won the European Championship.

That said, I'd agree that abolishing seedings would liven things up in both our domestic cups.

Bristolhibby
03-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Seeding works for Tennis because Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic or Roger Federer aint gonna get younger and so eventually a 'different' player will inevitably come through.

It doesn't work for football because nobody is going to come through to displace the giants like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Man Utd, Juventus etc. In fact lets face it ... If things don't change the Champions League is just gonna be same old, same old, every year ... its like that now for me. The last team ( or teams ) who couldn't be considered a giant to reach the final were Porto and Monaco over 10 years ago.

As far as I'm concerned seeding is killing football for small clubs and small countries and taking away any chance they might have to get lucky .... That might be fair, in that it ensures the biggest and best get to finals ........ but where the hell is the hope for millions of people who don't support big clubs or belong to big countries ..... more to the point, where's the bloody fun?

Greece Euro 2004? Denmark Euro 92?

J

whiskyhibby
04-08-2015, 07:22 AM

Likewise I have bought it each season from the first time it was offered, usually works out cost neutral, although as I work abroad most weeks it can , like last season work out less cost effective,but this season looks like a wise choice ( luckily I will be in the UK week of the 25/26)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
04-08-2015, 08:57 AM
Likewise I have bought it each season from the first time it was offered, usually works out cost neutral, although as I work abroad most weeks it can , like last season work out less cost effective,but this season looks like a wise choice ( luckily I will be in the UK week of the 25/26)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is always a gamble buying one, but this Season it has been very worthwhile.........

Billy Whizz
04-08-2015, 06:05 PM
Our game v Stranraer has been confirmed as Wednesday 26th August,7.45pm ko

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/league-cup-2nd-round-dates-confirmed/

Baldy Foghorn
04-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Our game v Stranraer has been confirmed as Wednesday 26th August,7.45pm ko

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/league-cup-2nd-round-dates-confirmed/

Nice one....:aok:

supersauzee
04-08-2015, 06:27 PM
Nice one....:aok:

Just seen our ex player Paul cairney plays for Stranraer. Decent player on his day! Lee mair is an experienced plater too

Baldy Foghorn
04-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Just seen our ex player Paul cairney plays for Stranraer. Decent player on his day! Lee mair is an experienced plater too

Never felt PC was fit when he was here, maybe down to his illness, but always thought he carried a little too much weight