PDA

View Full Version : Recent Restaurant Visits Reviews

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Scouse Hibee
14-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Amarone in George Street was the venue for my niece's graduation dinner. I wasn't overly impressed, then again I never really expected to be if I'm honest. Lows were;
Nine out of the ten mains being served together, the tenth person was told "we haven't forgot you,it's just not ready yet" It finally arrived a good seven minutes later very poor practice indeed.

Two pasta dishes supposed be the same were totally different in size and quantity of sauce.

Wouldn't return to be honest, any other recent reviews?

Pretty Boy
14-07-2015, 04:01 PM
I had Sunday lunch in the Antiquary on St Stephens Street a few weeks back.

Had steak pie and chips and enjoyed it a lot. Home made which is a feat in itself for a lot of pubs, tender meat, rich gravy and crispy chips. Nothing fancy but reasonable and decent.

Also ate in The Bon Vivant on Thistle Street back in early June. Wine list was great if a little pricey. Tried a few things on the menu as it's 'tapas' style. Again enjoyable whilst not being overly exciting. The dressed crab was the highlight, pork belly was nice whilst the duck was chewy, overdone and disappointing.

Scouse Hibee
14-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Also recently dined in:

Miro's Cantina - Rose Street - Excellent 10\10
Cool Jade - Opposite Zoo - Not bad 7\10
Peach Garden - Corstorphine - Very Good 8\10
Mumbai Mansion- Morrison Street - Decent enough 7\10
La Piazza - Shandwick Place - Very Good 8\10
Angels Share - West End - Poor 5\10
Gusto - George Street -Pleasantly Surprised 7.5\10

MSK
14-07-2015, 04:59 PM
Foresters Portobello a few weeks back, superb range of beers, vibrant atmosphere and excellent food, decent prices too 9/10

Jack
14-07-2015, 05:34 PM
Foresters Portobello a few weeks back, superb range of beers, vibrant atmosphere and excellent food, decent prices too 9/10

Not sure if he's still there but the chef is a good Hibby :-)

Been a few times never disappointed.

I was in the Mash Tun, Easter Road, the other day with a voucher for all day breakfast and a pint. Been a few times now, its very good for what it is.

MSK
14-07-2015, 07:31 PM

I was in the Mash Tun, Easter Road, the other day with a voucher for all day breakfast and a pint. Been a few times now, its very good for what it is.To be honest Jack I didn't see much after sinking a keg load of the superb London Stout 😃 we were planning to visit the Mash Tun for my birthday last year but illness put paid to that, will def pay it a visit at some point 👍

Future17
15-07-2015, 08:38 AM

I was in the Mash Tun, Easter Road, the other day with a voucher for all day breakfast and a pint. Been a few times now, its very good for what it is.

The Mash Tun is a great pub IMHO. Nice vibe and cracking food - there is usually an offer on the food as well (i.e. 241 pizzas, curry Tuesdays, steak Wednesdays etc).

Billy Whizz
15-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Also recently dined in:

Miro's Cantina - Rose Street - Excellent 10\10
Cool Jade - Opposite Zoo - Not bad 7\10
Peach Garden - Corstorphine - Very Good 8\10
Mumbai Mansion- Morrison Street - Decent enough 7\10
La Piazza - Shandwick Place - Very Good 8\10
Angels Share - West End - Poor 5\10
Gusto - George Street -Pleasantly Surprised 7.5\10

Love Miro's when I can get a table
Also use Peach Garden for my Chinese take away, and very rarely disappointed, although it's changed hands a few times recently

jacomo
15-07-2015, 09:48 AM

Had steak pie and chips and enjoyed it a lot. Home made which is a feat in itself for a lot of pubs, tender meat, rich gravy and crispy chips. Nothing fancy but reasonable and decent.

Also ate in The Bon Vivant on Thistle Street back in early June. Wine list was great if a little pricey. Tried a few things on the menu as it's 'tapas' style. Again enjoyable whilst not being overly exciting. The dressed crab was the highlight, pork belly was nice whilst the duck was chewy, overdone and disappointing.

An old favourite of mine, this pub. The antiquary, I mean!

Billy Whizz
15-07-2015, 12:20 PM
An old favourite of mine, this pub. The antiquary, I mean!

Is this the one you go downstairs too?

Godsahibby
16-07-2015, 05:05 PM
Amarone in George Street was the venue for my niece's graduation dinner. I wasn't overly impressed, then again I never really expected to be if I'm honest. Lows were;
Nine out of the ten mains being served together, the tenth person was told "we haven't forgot you,it's just not ready yet" It finally arrived a good seven minutes later very poor practice indeed.

Two pasta dishes supposed be the same were totally different in size and quantity of sauce.

Wouldn't return to be honest, any other recent reviews?

I work next to Amarone and share a back entrance with them. I wouldn't go near the place it never looks clean. Also heard they had issues the other week with drains because of the fat they had Ben pouring down the drains.

Speedy
16-07-2015, 05:20 PM
Suree Thai in Stockbridge is excellent.

Was in Thai Orchid in Glasgow (not the one in Edinburgh which is brilliant), was decent.

easty
16-07-2015, 05:34 PM
I work next to Amarone and share a back entrance with them. I wouldn't go near the place it never looks clean. Also heard they had issues the other week with drains because of the fat they had Ben pouring down the drains.

Ben Williams? Sure he didn't just drop it down the drain by mistake?

Jack
16-07-2015, 05:41 PM
If anyone is walking up the River Almond from Cramond I can heartily recommend avoiding the cafe at the waterfall.

You should have seen the guys face in front of me when he was charged over £25 for what was essentially 3 snacks and coffees. He wasn't any happier when the small unappealing snacks arrived!

My coffee was a bit pealy wally. If I'd been in Starbucks I'd have taken it back asking if it was proper strength and why's it only half full!

Future17
16-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Suree Thai in Stockbridge is excellent.

Was in Thai Orchid in Glasgow (not the one in Edinburgh which is brilliant), was decent.

Has anyone eaten at Chaophraya on the corner of George St/Castle St?

Scouse Hibee
16-07-2015, 06:33 PM

It has PASS certificate for food hygiene however this was issued following their inspection in September 2011.
The drains thing can happen inadvertantly with food waste, most places either have grease traps or a dosing system that prevents build up, a problem doesn't necessary mean anything sinister though.

easty
16-07-2015, 07:14 PM

I've got friends who have, and I've only heard good things about it.

Scouse Hibee
16-07-2015, 07:27 PM
Burger Meets Bun - not impressed 5\10
The Riparian Rooms - Decent enough 7\10
La Tasca - really enjoyed it,nice change 8\10
Locanda De Gusti........next has great reviews hope it lives up to them.

Sergey
16-07-2015, 07:38 PM

Just picked up this thread but I have to comment on the bit in bold.

Gravy = water based. Chips = cooked in oil.

The above combination should never be served on the same plate. Oil simply doesn't mix with water.

Maybe it's a Scottish thing, but my mother still eats chips with gravy but it doesn't do it for me. I also don't recall any other international dished that combine water with oil in a dish.

Scouse Hibee
16-07-2015, 08:04 PM
Just picked up this thread but I have to comment on the bit in bold.

Gravy = water based. Chips = cooked in oil.

The above combination should never be served on the same plate. Oil simply doesn't mix with water.

Maybe it's a Scottish thing, but my mother still eats chips with gravy but it doesn't do it for me. I also don't recall any other international dished that combine water with oil in a dish.

Never heard of that before!

Roasted potatoes drizzled with oil and served on a roast dinner with gravy.

Pizza dough made with water and topped with freshly cooked chicken which has been roasted with oil and then sliced

Pasta boiled in water and then cooked with other ingredients in the pan with oil.

Just a couple off the top of my head so don't really get your thinking.

Sergey
16-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Never heard of that before!

Roasted potatoes drizzled with oil and served on a roast dinner with gravy.

Who does this? I certainly don't know of any restaurants that have this on their menu.

Pizza dough made with water and topped with freshly cooked chicken which has been roasted with oil and then sliced.

Not quite water with oil as the water has absorbed into the flour and the chicken has been removed and separated from the oil.

Pasta boiled in water and then cooked with other ingredients in the pan with oil.

See above

Just a couple off the top of my head so don't really get your thinking.

The point is, water and oil split and it's not a route to go down. A drizzle here and there really doesn't matter a jot, but including them both in quantities on a plate is a recipe for disaster.

Vinegar is where the secret lies as that cuts through the oil and is a flavour enhancer. Water is just water AND DOESN'T MIX WITH OIL

Scouse Hibee
16-07-2015, 08:30 PM
The point is, water and oil split and it's not a route to go down. A drizzle here and there really doesn't matter a jot, but including them both in quantities on a plate is a recipe for disaster.

Vinegar is where the secret lies as that cuts through the oil and is a flavour enhancer. Water is just water AND DOESN'T MIX WITH OIL

Think you're splitting hairs to be honest with regards to chips being cooked in oil and then removed and served with gravy that is water based! No different to a couple of my examples where cooked in oil/water and removed. Yes potato will of course absorb some of the oil but that's it. In general your water and oil doesn't mix of course is correct but chips and gravy as an example of that is just daft.

And you've never heard of roast potatoes being drizzled with oil while they're cooking!

Sergey
16-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Think you're splitting hairs to be honest with regards to chips being cooked in oil and then removed and served with gravy that is water based! No different to a couple of my examples where cooked in oil/water and removed. Yes potato will of course absorb some of the oil but that's it. In general your water and oil doesn't mix of course is correct but chips and gravy as an example of that is just daft.

And you've never heard of roast potatoes being drizzled with oil while they're cooking!

Scouse, not for the first time, let's agree to disagree on the matter.

The examples you used include emulsifiers that absorb the water allowing oil to be added at the end without sparking with the water molecules. As a rule, water and oil don't mix and should never be included on the same plate...at least that was what I was taught.

If you're happy with chips and gravy then crack-on. It's never been part of my diet and never will be (although chips with curry sauce is rather yummy after a session on the ale).

You know the science as well as I do.

Scouse Hibee
16-07-2015, 08:47 PM
Scouse, not for the first time, let's agree to disagree on the matter.

The examples you used include emulsifiers that absorb the water allowing oil to be added at the end without sparking with the water molecules. As a rule, water and oil don't mix and should never be included on the same plate...at least that was what I was taught.

If you're happy with chips and gravy then crack-on. It's never been part of my diet and never will be (although chips with curry sauce is rather yummy after a session on the ale).

You know the science as well as I do.

Fair enough mate not looking for an argument just a healthy informative question and answer session;-)

Agree with the curry sauce and wish I could go back to the beef dripping for my chips that my Dad used to make by rendering beef fat for selling in his butchers shop back in the 70's.

Peevemor
16-07-2015, 08:56 PM
I'm with Sergey on this and I've never been keen on chips with gravy for that reason. There are many examples of boiled stuff being cooked in oil (eg. risottos and any fried rice dish) but a mixture of fried and 'boiled' (for want of a better word) stuff on a plate rarely makes a "whole".
For example, if you eat boiled rice with a curry, you always get the impression that the rice hasn't been drained properly.

Sergey
16-07-2015, 08:59 PM
Fair enough mate not looking for an argument just a healthy informative question and answer session;-)

Agree with the curry sauce and wish I could go back to the beef dripping for my chips that my Dad used to make by rendering beef fat for selling in his butchers shop back in the 70's.

The best fish and chips are (or were) cooked in beef dripping as this has the highest melting point of all cooking fats. If you drop battered fish into a cauldron of beef dripping, the the batter will seal immediately and the fish will steam within the batter, Veg oil has a lower melting point to beef dripping and the oil will seep through the batter and mar and taint the fish.

H&S and public perceptions have pretty much scuppered dripping as a cooking medium, for all the wrong reasons (IMHO).

I still love using dripping and lard...but never with water :greengrin

Jim44
16-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Thread hijack alert! I thought this thread was about recent dining-out experiences. not the dubious opinions of amateur gourmets. :greengrin On that note, I can thoroughly recommend a nice wee Italian restaurant, Lamora, at the west end of Argyle St. in Glasgow. Cracking choice of excellent scran at modest prices on their pre-theatre menu. The main A La Carte menu had some terrific choices which, if the quality of the 'cheap' menu was anything to go by, looked really tempting. A glance out the window saw Alan McGregor going into a restaurant opposite, called Thai Siam. A quick google described this as one of the best Thai restaurants in Glasgow. Next door to that was an unbelievably busy Ice Cream/Doughnut Bar called Big Licks, which apparently is attracting big hype reviews.

Tyler Durden
16-07-2015, 10:44 PM

I was there last week and would give it 8/10. Similar to earlier reply I've yet to hear any negative comments about the place.

Pete
17-07-2015, 04:00 AM
For example, if you eat boiled rice with a curry, you always get the impression that the rice hasn't been drained properly.

boiled rice always felt wrong with curry and now I know why.

:not worth

goosano
17-07-2015, 07:05 AM
I've been 3 times to Michael Neave Kitchen and Whisky Bar and have been hugely impressed. Twice for lunch and it is an absolute steal at £7.99 for 3 courses and coffee. Mussels and pheasant last time. You have to book well in advance as it is always full.

I went in the evening for my daughters 21st and the cooking was great. Best lamb I've had for ages. Very accommodating for the coeliac in the party. About £40 per head with wine but well worth it. highly recommended

Wembley67
17-07-2015, 07:17 AM
If anyone is walking up the River Almond from Cramond I can heartily recommend avoiding the cafe at the waterfall.

You should have seen the guys face in front of me when he was charged over £25 for what was essentially 3 snacks and coffees. He wasn't any happier when the small unappealing snacks arrived!

My coffee was a bit pealy wally. If I'd been in Starbucks I'd have taken it back asking if it was proper strength and why's it only half full!

Lovely wee setting though. Was chatting away to the owner and she is opening up a full rooftop restaurant next year, prices though as you say maybe interesting to say the least

Personally I think she isn't the full shilling.

liamh2202
17-07-2015, 03:34 PM
What about oven chips n gravy?

ACLeith
17-07-2015, 06:58 PM
I've been 3 times to Michael Neave Kitchen and Whisky Bar and have been hugely impressed. Twice for lunch and it is an absolute steal at £7.99 for 3 courses and coffee. Mussels and pheasant last time. You have to book well in advance as it is always full.

I went in the evening for my daughters 21st and the cooking was great. Best lamb I've had for ages. Very accommodating for the coeliac in the party. About £40 per head with wine but well worth it. highly recommended

My son knows Michael and had his wedding there. Only problem was that no matter what you chose off the menu there was always something else you wish you had tried! A really nice young man as well as a brilliant chef.

Closer to home in Leith always enjoy Tapa in Shore Place.

easty
17-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Just home from Ting Thai Caravan. I had the Khao Sawy Talay (first time I've had that, was excellent), the wife had Nua Yam Talay, and we had some Mun Tod and Roti.

Was as good as it always is.

offshorehibby
20-07-2015, 10:47 AM
I was in Howies Waterloo Pl last week, as always a good meal, never been disappointed there.

adhibs
20-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Pera at elm row the other night. got the mixed grill for two which came with bulgar and a salad. good quality kebab meats done on a charcoal grill and the bulgar was alright as well. Only thing I wasn't keen on was the salad which had been covered in a chopped green herb which I wasn't keen on at all, no idea what it was though. 8/10

Chip shop Joe
20-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Visited Las Iguanas on George Street at the weekend. Very nice food, excellent service and very good value. Would recommend.

Gus
20-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Burger Meets Bun - not impressed 5\10
The Riparian Rooms - Decent enough 7\10
La Tasca - really enjoyed it,nice change 8\10
Locanda De Gusti........next has great reviews hope it lives up to them.

Locanda De Gusti is fantastic, was there last month and was amazing. The food, the staff all made a proper Naples experience. 10/10 from me

Jack
21-07-2015, 07:04 AM
I went to Nawroz, Middle Eastern Restaurant up at Potterrow, the other night for my tea, we had a voucher. At £29 a very expensive voucher!

I'm not sure what I didn't like about it, with nearly everything there was something wrong, a wee niggle, which individually wouldn't have mattered but together means I'll not be back.

Scouse Hibee
21-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Thai Orchid on Johnstone Terrace for a business lunch today, first time I have been and would definitely return 8\10

Pete
22-07-2015, 05:11 PM
Give Frankie and Bennies on the high street a miss.

No lunch or special menu's like they have at every other one. That close to walking out.

patch1875
22-07-2015, 05:23 PM
Give Frankie and Bennies on the high street a miss.

No lunch or special menu's like they have at every other one. That close to walking out.

I hate F&B
Kids love it though :-(

Scouse Hibee
26-07-2015, 12:33 PM
La Piazza last night, great meal,vibrant atmosphere and superb service at a reasonable price too.10/10

liamh2202
26-07-2015, 04:42 PM
I hate F&B
Kids love it though :-(

Try the filling station same style better food by a mile

Jack
26-07-2015, 05:15 PM
The Montgomery Fish Bar!

We quite enjoy a sit doonery in a real chippie, if I lived further away I'd make it a more regular stop on match days.

easty
27-07-2015, 06:30 AM
I had a very decent burger in the boozy cow yesterday.

RoslinInstHibby
27-07-2015, 01:59 PM
I was in pomegranate on Friday night, food was pretty decent and reasonably priced. It is also byob with no corkage charge! Would defo go back.

Lucius Apuleius
27-07-2015, 02:07 PM
The Buttery in Glasgow on Friday night for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it.

easty
27-07-2015, 02:31 PM
I was in pomegranate on Friday night, food was pretty decent and reasonably priced. It is also byob with no corkage charge! Would defo go back.

I've heard good things about there, keep meaning to go in.

Scouse Hibee
30-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Called in the Filling Station in Rose Street tonight, never again. After being served drinks and nothing else for 35 minutes was told by waiter that our order had mistakenly not been passed to kitchen! Told em to forget it and left. The manager did apologise and was not charged for drinks.0/10

overdrive
01-08-2015, 06:47 AM
Thai Orchid on Johnstone Terrace for a business lunch today, first time I have been and would definitely return 8\10

This is our favourite Thai restaurant. Amazing food.

We've spent the last three weeks in Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore. The food and restaurants were generally really good. A few of the meals in Vietnam would count in the top 10 of best meals I've had.

TowerHibs
02-08-2015, 09:21 AM
This is our favourite Thai restaurant. Amazing food.

We've spent the last three weeks in Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore. The food and restaurants were generally really good. A few of the meals in Vietnam would count in the top 10 of best meals I've had.
Yeah just spent a month in Vietnam with the good lady. The food was incredible especially in Hoi An

With that in mind, give Vietnam House a try on Grove Street. Excellent little restaurant, serving lovely Vietnamese food. BYOB and good portions for the price

Scouse Hibee
02-08-2015, 10:29 AM
St Johns Curry Club in Corstorphine last night, not the first time I've been there but once again slightly disappounted. Tasted a couple of supposedly different curries last night and all far too similar, the ones described as hot and very spicy were not really.
6\10

easty
02-08-2015, 10:32 AM
St Johns Curry Club in Corstorphine last night, not the first time I've been there but once again slightly disappounted. Tasted a couple of supposedly different curries last night and all far too similar, the ones described as hot and very spicy were not really.
6\10

I've only eaten from there once, really wasn't impressed. Far prefer Delta at Roseburn. I thought Abidas in Corstorphine was better too.

adhibs
02-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Ox184 at the cowgate. Had excellent ribs and a disapointing side of mac and cheese. Ribs where that good though that i cant wait to go back. Tried a bit of the pulled pork burger which was tidy as well.Had plenty good beers available also

patch1875
02-08-2015, 11:42 AM
I've only eaten from there once, really wasn't impressed. Far prefer Delta at Roseburn. I thought Abidas in Corstorphine was better too.

Good to know.

we move to murrayfield next year so finding a decent curry is a priority:greengrin

Mr White
02-08-2015, 01:09 PM
Ox184 at the cowgate. Had excellent ribs and a disapointing side of mac and cheese. Ribs where that good though that i cant wait to go back. Tried a bit of the pulled pork burger which was tidy as well.Had plenty good beers available also

Had a rib eye steak in there on friday. It was excellent and as you say the beer selection is good. Anywhere with 3 taps from the tempest brewery is doing something right imo!

Pretty Boy
02-08-2015, 02:07 PM

Do they have self service beer fridges and taps?

I was involved with the supply side before theu opened and that was certainly their plan then?

adhibs
02-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Do they have self service beer fridges and taps?

I was involved with the supply side before theu opened and that was certainly their plan then?

Not as far as im aware. Between having a good few drinks before and table service in the place theres a chance it couldve passed me by though.

Cant beat self service fridges, came across one in warsaw earlier in the year and its something id like to see more off.

adhibs
02-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Had a rib eye steak in there on friday. It was excellent and as you say the beer selection is good. Anywhere with 3 taps from the tempest brewery is doing something right imo!

Was having a look at the menu again earlier and chances are ill go for a steak next time, keen to try a burger as well though. My girlfreind got a side of fries and a tub of cheese sauce to dip them in which was excellent.

Ive got a trip down to the tempest bar in kelso planned for some time in the future, supposedly do realy good food there as well

Mr White
02-08-2015, 03:23 PM
Was having a look at the menu again earlier and chances are ill go for a steak next time, keen to try a burger as well though. My girlfreind got a side of fries and a tub of cheese sauce to dip them in which was excellent.

Ive got a trip down to the tempest bar in kelso planned for some time in the future, supposedly do realy good food there as well

Cobbles? I've heard it's worth a visit but haven't been myself. Would definitely head back to ox184 though, we had a good night in there on friday and the table service was excellent too, the waitress serving us was sound.

adhibs
02-08-2015, 03:39 PM
Cobbles? I've heard it's worth a visit but haven't been myself. Would definitely head back to ox184 though, we had a good night in there on friday and the table service was excellent too, the waitress serving us was sound.

Thats the one, couldnt remember the name.

I read earlier ox184 have a 5am liscence for the festival. Will be good for a drink and even better if they keep the kitchen open

Frazerbob
02-08-2015, 05:35 PM
I had a very decent burger in the boozy cow yesterday.

Good to hear. I run the Aberdeen Boozy Cow and spent about 3 months sampling different burgers produced by our exec chef before finalising the recipe. Tough job!

Scouse Hibee
02-08-2015, 06:58 PM
Good to hear. I run the Aberdeen Boozy Cow and spent about 3 months sampling different burgers produced by our exec chef before finalising the recipe. Tough job!

Hope you weren't responsible for the crap 330ml beer can selection ;-)

TowerHibs
02-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Can anyone recommend a good chinese restaurant??? Taking the wife for her first Chinese with my folks on friday

Jack
02-08-2015, 10:46 PM
Can anyone recommend a good chinese restaurant??? Taking the wife for her first Chinese with my folks on friday

The Edinburgh Rendezvous. Went there about a month or so ago and it was still as good as it was 30 years ago. 7 or 8/10.

Some folk might say the Lune Town or Lune Fung but if you ask me they've been living on their reputation for years!

There's one in the New Town I was at a wee while ago, that Heriot Row area, it was very good but I can't remember the name.

Good Chinese sit ins are very had to come by these days, in my opinion.

Scouse Hibee
02-08-2015, 11:00 PM

I still like the PingOn in Stockbridge.

Mr White
02-08-2015, 11:14 PM
The Edinburgh Rendezvous. Went there about a month or so ago and it was still as good as it was 30 years ago. 7 or 8/10.

Some folk might say the Lune Town or Lune Fung but if you ask me they've been living on their reputation for years!

There's one in the New Town I was at a wee while ago, that Heriot Row area, it was very good but I can't remember the name.

Good Chinese sit ins are very had to come by these days, in my opinion.

Karens unicorn?

Mr White
02-08-2015, 11:17 PM
I still like the PingOn in Stockbridge.
:agree: we go there every time the inlaws are over. They've been going there since the 70s, they love it. I'm not a huge fan of chinese food but it's easily the best I've had in edinburgh.

danhibees1875
02-08-2015, 11:20 PM

China Town just up from Haymarket is good. Saigon Saigon is also good!

Karens Unicorn is meant to be good also, but I've not personally been!

Was in The Newsroom today for a couple of cocktails and a light lunch. It was very good! :aok:

Hay Sushi and Sushiya (by Haymarket) are good sushi (duh) restaurants that I've recently been too also!

Has anyone been to Shezam? Indian restaurant just down from the Omni centre. I'd usually go to Khushis when I fancy an Indian but this place looks good when I pass, seems to boast of awards and I can get 50% off with a taste card! :greengrin

TRC
02-08-2015, 11:42 PM
Talking of sushi, soul sushi who are a takeaway throughout the year have a pop up during the festival. Top sushi

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-08-2015, 06:30 AM

Not been for years but, The Kweilin was always worth a visit.

Billy Whizz
03-08-2015, 07:49 AM

As a couple of posters have said, the Rendezvous on Queensferry St, or Ping on in Stockbridge are good choices. I haven't got over the closure of the Great Wall on Lothian Rd, was my favourite place to go, think the owners son has the Ping on

Beefster
03-08-2015, 10:58 AM
Nanyang up in Lister Square is pretty decent for the price. Always busy too.

TowerHibs
03-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Thanks all.

I was going to go to the PingOn as haven't been there for years and didn't know if it was still any good. Karen's Unicorn is pricey. I would usually go to Kim's Mini Meals (South Korean) but my parents are a bit fussy. Think we will do the PingOn or the Rendezvous....good chance of a bevy afterwards

Wembley67
03-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Nanyang up in Lister Square is pretty decent for the price. Always busy too.

I was there on Saturday night and I thought it was awful! Opinions eh :greengrin

Hiber-nation
03-08-2015, 12:20 PM
:agree: we go there every time the inlaws are over. They've been going there since the 70s, they love it. I'm not a huge fan of chinese food but it's easily the best I've had in edinburgh.

That's interesting as we were in the Ping On about 5 years ago and it was without doubt the worst Chinese I've ever had! It was deserted, seemed to be stuck in a time warp and the food was dire. Sounds like there's been improvements.

It was great in the late 70s :greengrin

Mr White
03-08-2015, 02:29 PM
That's interesting as we were in the Ping On about 5 years ago and it was without doubt the worst Chinese I've ever had! It was deserted, seemed to be stuck in a time warp and the food was dire. Sounds like there's been improvements.

It was great in the late 70s :greengrin

Still feels stuck in a timewarp but always been busy and good food whenever we've been there.

wpj
03-08-2015, 04:33 PM
I was never a huge fan of Chinese preferring Indian but once I had a great Chinese I was hooked. I think the problem was to begin with I ate rubbish Chinese after a bevvy which would seldom be a normal Chinese meal! I was lucky enough to live in a neighbourhood where the local Chinese restaurant/takeaway was full of Chinese etc eating and the food was amazing. Out in the sticks now and not sure what to expect 😞

Frazerbob
05-08-2015, 08:32 PM
Hope you weren't responsible for the crap 330ml beer can selection ;-)

Some of those cans are magic and we regularly get some rare stuff. We also stock the cheaper big Red Stripe cans of you're not a fan of the craft stuff.

Scouse Hibee
05-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Some of those cans are magic and we regularly get some rare stuff. We also stock the cheaper big Red Stripe cans of you're not a fan of the craft stuff.

Yeah I saw the Red Stripe but not a fan. It's the fact I hate drinking tinned beer.

Scouse Hibee
05-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Oregano on Leith Walk has moved to bigger premises on other side of road. Wow what a pizza, up there with the best I've ever had and I've tried a few right good ones.10/10

Wembley67
05-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Oregano on Leith Walk has moved to bigger premises on other side of road. Wow what a pizza, up there with the best I've ever had and I've tried a few right good ones.10/10

Where about on the walk?

Scouse Hibee
05-08-2015, 09:40 PM
Where about on the walk?

Left hand side as you go down further down than Dalmeny Street. Restaurant is painted green double frontage.

Wembley67
05-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Left hand side as you go down further down than Dalmeny Street. Restaurant is painted green double frontage.

Thanks, will check it out.

The Pointer
06-08-2015, 08:00 AM
As a couple of posters have said, the Rendezvous on Queensferry St, or Ping on in Stockbridge are good choices. I haven't got over the closure of the Great Wall on Lothian Rd, was my favourite place to go, think the owners son has the Ping on

The Rendezvous has always been excellent if I've been through for rugby internationals (the place is usually hoatching) but we went to the Loon Fung down in Stockbridge the weekend of my *0th birthday last year. Easily the best Chinese I've ever had. Pleasant surroundings, fantastic menu and there wasn't a crumb left at the end (although my lad would have made sure that was the case any time) on anyone's plate.

Just wish such restaurants sold decent beer.

The Pointer
06-08-2015, 08:27 AM
Meant to say regarding the above, the meal at the Loon Fung was on the Friday night and on the Saturday I treated myself and son and daughter to hospitality at ER for the game against Alloa.

In the evening I'd booked 'Samphire' in St Stephens Street. I'd never been before and just found it on-line. I looked at other better known places more central but it seemed to get good reviews and was handy for The Bailie for afters. Seems quite small inside but there were around 25 of us and had the place to ourselves and had a great night. It has an excellent a la carte menu (choosing your wine beforehand), attentive staff and I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Jim44
26-08-2015, 01:52 PM
If you're ever down the borders and looking for a good Italian restaurant, try the Montecassino in the old Melrose Railway station. The food is first class, service is very good and the place itself is really nice. The choice is excellent with all the usual dishes but the owner's specials ( something different and out of the ordinary ) are outstanding value at around £11. All the pasta is freshly homemade. The wall is covered in photographs of the owner with famous Italian footballers, managers and other personalities who have eaten there.

Scouse Hibee
26-08-2015, 02:50 PM
If your ever in Peebles call in at Coltmans on the high street. Great food and a decent wine selection, also has a deli and coffee shop area. Kenny the proprietor\chef is a top class chef.

goosano
29-08-2015, 05:32 PM
Had lunch at Wedgwood for the second time-2 courses 12.95 and good sized portions. I ate hake brandade, spring onions, shaved fennel and then beef fillet, cauliflower puree, braised red wine lentils, rocket. Some unusual wines on the list and quick efficient service. This place and Michael Neave are current favourites

Pretty Boy
29-08-2015, 05:40 PM
Had a curry at Agoon Pani on Henderson Street last night. Really good, would thoroughly recommend.

Also new place about to open on George Street called Copper Blossom. It's from the same people that have Amicus Apple/Boozy Cow and is their first venture into a higher end bar and dining arena. Not tried the food or drink yet, mainly because it isn't open, but they have high hopes for it and have spent a lot of money. Will likely be worth a visit.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Large Doner from The Topkapi last night, lamb-tastic, sorry for lowering the tone. :-)

Scouse Hibee
29-08-2015, 10:39 PM
Large Doner from The Topkapi last night, lamb-tastic, sorry for lowering the tone. :-)

Chilli Sauce?

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Chilli Sauce?

Aye, nae point otherwise. :-)

heretoday
31-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Yeah I saw the Red Stripe but not a fan. It's the fact I hate drinking tinned beer.
Red Stripe is a con. It's funky image has kept it going all these years. It's very average.

Allant1981
31-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Was at orocco pier in south queensferry on sat night, really nice food, quick service and nice staff, drinks were really over priced though, £4.50 for a bottle of water and £6.95 for a small wine

HibbyAndy
31-08-2015, 04:13 PM
Filling station on royal mile want £10 for a sandwich, That is ****ing scandelous!

Scouse Hibee
31-08-2015, 04:15 PM
La Piazza again on Saturday couldn't fault it.

PatHead
02-09-2015, 02:00 PM

Been for a lunch there which was very good. Good choice though I can't remember what I had!

PatHead
02-09-2015, 02:16 PM
For Italians always find Mama Roma opposite the playhouse a safe bet. Only problem is no draft beer only bottles.

If you are looking for something outside the town

For Indians there are 2 in Dalkeith - Itihaas and Bombay Lounge (Bobby Smith's old pub) which are both excellent.

Quite like the Mercat out in Whitecraig. Limited menu but food always good and they run a minibus for groups. Think you have to pre-book it though.

Sun Inn at Newtongrange is always good and you will soon be able to get the train out!

Like others have found it difficult to find a decent Chinese.

The_Exile
10-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Anybody ever been to The Three Chimneys on Skye? It's top of my "places to eat at" list! We're blessed in Edinburgh to have so many fantastic restaurants, I've got so many still to visit, try and do 5 or 6 properly good ones every year. Kitchins is next up on payday.

Mibbes Aye
11-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Anybody ever been to The Three Chimneys on Skye? It's top of my "places to eat at" list! We're blessed in Edinburgh to have so many fantastic restaurants, I've got so many still to visit, try and do 5 or 6 properly good ones every year. Kitchins is next up on payday.

Was there last night. Tried the vegetarian tasting menu with paired wines. The drink selection was spot on every time, glad I opted for it and I imagine for many, including me, it's an opportunity to try varieties of wine they wouldn't have otherwise considered.

The dishes were all executed very, very well and some of them (the mushrooms, potato, hen egg in a risotto style; the heritage carrots) were fantastic and would have made a great full course. Pick of the bunch was the tomato consomme though, very complex balance of flavours, it tasted sublime.

With somewhere like the Kitchin the service should be of the highest standard and I couldn't fault it, on what was a very busy Thursday night.

Mibbes Aye
11-09-2015, 01:52 PM
For Italians always find Mama Roma opposite the playhouse a safe bet. Only problem is no draft beer only bottles.

If you are looking for something outside the town

For Indians there are 2 in Dalkeith - Itihaas and Bombay Lounge (Bobby Smith's old pub) which are both excellent.

Quite like the Mercat out in Whitecraig. Limited menu but food always good and they run a minibus for groups. Think you have to pre-book it though.

Sun Inn at Newtongrange is always good and you will soon be able to get the train out!

Like others have found it difficult to find a decent Chinese.

I would endorse the two Indians mentioned and also give a thumbs-up to Memories of India, on the A7, a few hundred yards down from the Mining Museum on the other side. Like The Sun it must be reasonably-placed for the train now.

Ajo
14-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Has anyone been to the mussels and steak bar in the grass market? Thinking of going there for my birthday and trip advisor reviews sound positive!

Jack
14-09-2015, 10:48 AM
Has anyone been to the mussels and steak bar in the grass market? Thinking of going there for my birthday and trip advisor reviews sound positive!

I used to go there quite a lot and always enjoyed it. I keep telling myself, my wife my family and my friends we need to get back there!

Ajo
14-09-2015, 03:18 PM
I used to go there quite a lot and always enjoyed it. I keep telling myself, my wife my family and my friends we need to get back there!

Excellent, will give it a bash then! 👍🏼

Hermit Crab
14-09-2015, 05:31 PM

Yes, excellent, you also get the option of getting your chips cooked in beef dripping. The fillet steak is excellent. Recommended.

Pretty Boy
14-09-2015, 05:37 PM

It's very good.

I tend to avoid the Grassmarket as it's a bit too tourist trap but this place was recommended to me, by an English tourist no less, and I wasn't disappointed. As said above you can get chips cooked in dripping and they are fantastic. More chip shops etc should go back to cooking in dripping.

Jack
15-09-2015, 02:11 PM
I was in Iris, Thistle Street at the weekend.

I'd say reasonably average until the bill comes ... a bit above average.

Overall not that impressed.

speedy_gonzales
15-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Anyone been to Hotel Du Vin?
Heard good things about it previously, walked past it yesterday and they're doing a couple of nights where there is a set menu and food is being paired with local gin one night, then local ales another.
Never really need my arm twisting much when it comes to food AND drink, just wondering if anyone had any good/bad meals there?!?

Scouse Hibee
15-09-2015, 06:31 PM
Doing the Gin Class at 56 North this Sunday, anyone been for the Gin Class? Got the voucher for my birthday.

jabis
15-09-2015, 09:16 PM
C-shack in newhaven,ribeye and bonemarrow burger,£12.50 or there abouts,was the best ever.
Steaks and fishy stuff too,but I'll leave them to others 😕

danhibees1875
19-09-2015, 06:20 PM

I desperately wanted to go there when I was in Skye but my girlfriend is a bit fussy and as a result we can never go to top restaurants as every course always involve a things she doesn't want. She only likes chicken and fish, and "the fish always comes with stuff that isn't chips".

Went to zicos recently, it was good. Fantastic service and as Much meat as you desire for 20 quid. The topside beef was amazing, as was the chili pork and the chicken hearts were surprisingly good too.

jodjam
19-09-2015, 08:42 PM

Never eaten at 3 chimneys but many of my guests have and love it. I keep hoping for an invite in but it's never happened

The old school in nearby dunvegan is great

Matty_Jack04
26-09-2015, 07:58 AM
Was in China red last night Chesser avenue, Chinese,Japanese,Korean and Thai convierbelt buffet

wasn't bad actually, the seats are round the belt which holds cold stuff on the bottom (sushi,prawns etc) and your more typical hot Chinese,Thai dishes on top, when something you want comes passed your table you open it up and take it, food was good service was much better than any other buffet place I've been in, everything is on small plates so you do go through a lot and they cleared the tables very well so you weren't crowded with empties, drinks weren't too expensive either £2.50 for a Chinese beer £4 for innes&gunn about £2.50 for vodka

all in all probably the better of the buffet places I've been in and I'd definatley go back

Scouse Hibee
27-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Doing the Gin Class at 56 North this Sunday, anyone been for the Gin Class? Got the voucher for my birthday.

Would recommend this if you are interested in gin,was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Northernhibee
27-09-2015, 08:03 AM
Went to Yorokobi by CJ last night in Aberdeen - Japanese & Korean cuisine. Really excellent stuff, fantastic soft shell crab maki and a pot dish with rice, vegetables, shredded beef, red chilli paste and a fried egg as well - would highly recommend.

Scouse Hibee
27-09-2015, 08:31 AM
Had a fabulous Nasi Goreng in Stravaigan Gibson Street Glasgow.

bigwheel
27-09-2015, 09:22 AM
Had a fabulous Nasi Goreng in Stravaigan Gibson Street Glasgow.

Probably my favourite bar and food place in Glasgow - run by the guy who owns the "chip" I think. . Great food , good drinks and nice crowd

patch1875
27-09-2015, 12:33 PM
Vittoria Elm Row last night superb food and service as always.

Scouse Hibee
27-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Vittoria Elm Row last night superb food and service as always.

Yes never disappointed at any of the five owned by Tony Crolla.

Mibbes Aye
10-10-2015, 04:04 PM
La Garrigue, on Jeffrey Street, on Thursday.

Probably my favourite French restaurant in Edinburgh. There were several options for every course I would have been happy going with. The ones we did go for were prepared and presented very well. Great food and wines from the owner/chef's home region of Languedoc.

Given the quality of what's on the menu and the wine list I think it's tremendous value for money.

MJN1875
10-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Charnwood in Buxton and dantes in Colinton, both 10/10

Pretty Boy
26-10-2015, 10:07 AM
The Table on Dundas Street.

Not long opened and it's utterly superb. It's a nice concept, 10 covers at 1 table with the chef presenting each course, it's a set tasting menu.

I think Edinburgh has it's next Michelin Star in waiting. The chef trained with amongst others Martin Wishart, Gordon Ramsay, Anthony Garlando and Adriano Cavagnini. He also happens to be a really nice guy into the bargain. I went a couple of weeks back as I was involved in supplying him a lot of his crockery and glassware and was intrigued at the concept. I wasn't disappointed and Tripadvisor seems to agree as it's shot straight to number 1 in the reviews.

Mon Dieu4
26-10-2015, 10:45 AM

Not long opened and it's utterly superb. It's a nice concept, 10 covers at 1 table with the chef presenting each course, it's a set tasting menu.

I think Edinburgh has it's next Michelin Star in waiting. The chef trained with amongst others Martin Wishart, Gordon Ramsay, Anthony Garlando and Adriano Cavagnini. He also happens to be a really nice guy into the bargain. I went a couple of weeks back as I was involved in supplying him a lot of his crockery and glassware and was intrigued at the concept. I wasn't disappointed and Tripadvisor seems to agree as it's shot straight to number 1 in the reviews.

Glad to see someone appreciating it, Sean is a pal of mine so thought I was maybe being a bit biased towards the place as it's genuinely one of the best places I've eaten

easty
26-10-2015, 11:05 AM

I'd never heard of The Table until Friday last week, received an email from TripAdvisor with a link to their "10 best restaurants in Edinburgh", and The Table was number 1.

Now I'm trying to organise a time to go, looks excellent.

Jack
26-10-2015, 01:53 PM
The Riparian Rooms was our choice for the weekend for a table of 6.

The service was slow to start with and didn't get any quicker!

The starters were good and I thought things were looking up. The mussels and the tempura crab were excellent as were the other selections. The 'special', sirloin steak which 2 of us had were far from special but the others who had a various other dishes were happy enough. Only two of us ordered sweet, the sticky toffee pudding would have been sent back but the waitress never came near enough to catch her attention, which she apologised for later, much later!

Not the best experience for £200!

overdrive
26-10-2015, 02:41 PM

The starters were good and I thought things were looking up. The mussels and the tempura crab were excellent as were the other selections. The 'special', sirloin steak which 2 of us had were far from special but the others who had a various other dishes were happy enough. Only two of us ordered sweet, the sticky toffee pudding would have been sent back but the waitress never came near enough to catch her attention, which she apologised for later, much later!

I live close by and it never seems that busy. I've only had a drink there but my wife has eaten there a couple of times and said it was only OK.

Jack
26-10-2015, 02:43 PM
I went to Maison Bleue Restaurant, opposite the Bow Bar, Victoria Street, with 3 buddies for lunch last week.

Seemed to be the owner and his partner in attendance looking after everyone. In my opinion they seemed a little precious! Don't ask me what that means.

If you buy 2 mains off the lunch menu, £15 or so for 2 courses, you get one free, effectively a tenner off.

We all had the very succulent mussels, the best I've had for some considerable time. It was a good choice.

I had beef cheeks, a couple of the guys had the fish dish, I can't remember what the fourth had but we all agreed we had all made excellent choices.

The other 3 had coffees, they could have been poured by a spirit measure into tiny wee cups! I canny be doing with that, my ample nose needs to get in the mug lol. They were delighted though and more back slapping they'd made a great choice!

2 bottles of wine, 3 bottles of cider, great value at £120 which included a handsome tip!

We then went to the pub till around 10pm, bloody good day!

patch1875
26-10-2015, 07:04 PM
Anyone been to Leith Chop House yet?

Scouse Hibee
26-10-2015, 07:20 PM

Been in quite a few times for lunch and always found it pretty good, was going to give it a try one evening soon but maybe not now

Pretty Boy
26-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Anyone been to Leith Chop House yet?

Not yet but heard good things and it's on the list.

I'm off to Devils Advocate on Wednesday, been in for drinks before but never food, will post up my thoughts.

BroxburnHibee
26-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Just been to Queens Spice in South Queensferry and can highly recommend it. Good size portions and very tasty food.

IrnBru22
06-11-2015, 01:49 PM
Does anyone know of any good vegetarian restaurants in Glasgow?

Pretty Boy
06-11-2015, 01:59 PM
Does anyone know of any good vegetarian restaurants in Glasgow?

Mono in the Merchant City always got a good name. Not sure if it's still on the go though.

LancashireHibby
06-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Need somewhere for a bit of a late lunch in Edinburgh next Saturday. Needs to be child-friendly (albeit a well behaved 8 year old with an appetite like his dad!) and within walking distance of Waverley. Not TOO expensive. Soccer Saturday preferred but not essential. Go.

IrnBru22
06-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Mono in the Merchant City always got a good name. Not sure if it's still on the go though.

Cheers, i'll check it out. Anywhere else?

lyonhibs
06-11-2015, 02:40 PM
I desperately wanted to go there when I was in Skye but my girlfriend is a bit fussy and as a result we can never go to top restaurants as every course always involve a things she doesn't want. She only likes chicken and fish, and "the fish always comes with stuff that isn't chips".

Went to zicos recently, it was good. Fantastic service and as Much meat as you desire for 20 quid. The topside beef was amazing, as was the chili pork and the chicken hearts were surprisingly good too.

You have my sincerest condolences. Must take the patience of a Buddha to not want to just force feed her steak, pepper sauce and chips and go "there, that wasn't so bad was it!!"

Last time I was home I went for a curry in a place a couple of doors down from The Ventoux Pub. Name escapes me but it was good, a decent range of regional dishes that went beyond the Korma/Jalfrezi/Bhuna triumvate (though they had them as well)

patch1875
06-11-2015, 07:06 PM
Had a blast from the past at Guru(Guru Balti in the old days) still great food and the biggest nans ever!

Must still be pretty popular as it was packed and the amount of deliveries going out was unbelievable.

Scouse Hibee
06-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Had a blast from the past at Guru(Guru Balti in the old days) still great food and the biggest nans ever!

Must still be pretty popular as it was packed and the amount of deliveries going out was unbelievable.

Aye was there Friday, no alcohol on sale!!!

patch1875
07-11-2015, 11:29 AM
Aye was there Friday, no alcohol on sale!!!

I know! Wife wasn't chuffed!

Moulin Yarns
07-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Need somewhere for a bit of a late lunch in Edinburgh next Saturday. Needs to be child-friendly (albeit a well behaved 8 year old with an appetite like his dad!) and within walking distance of Waverley. Not TOO expensive. Soccer Saturday preferred but not essential. Go.

The Omni at the top of Leith Walk has a few places, Slug and Lettuce, La Tasca etc that are reasonable and family friendly

johnbc70
07-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Nonna's Kitchen in Morningside - nice but pricey. They do the main pasta dishes as starters so I had a pasta with cream, mushrooms and Italian sausage. Was tasty but the sausage was the thinnest slices of sausage you have seen, difficult to tell what was slice of mushroom or a slice of sausage. The wife had bread and olives which she said was nice. I had veal for my main which was something I rarely eat, was nice but as I have rarely had veal I am not sure what to compare it against. My wife had king prawn linguine which again looked good and the prawns were nice and large.

No room for desert but they had a good selection.

The list of specials is extensive but as the waiter reeled them off you had forgotten what he has said 2 minutes ago.

Bill with a pint of Peroni and a G&T was just short of £65. It was mobbed though so must be very popular.

Mr White
07-11-2015, 04:21 PM
Was at al dente on easter road last week with my mum. First time I've been there in over 5 years. I liked what they've done with the decor in that time and the staff were really friendly and welcoming. Both had steak but in 2 different sauces. Was really good and well accompanied by a glass of Italian red. Fully recommend a visit.

MSK
07-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Was at al dente on easter road last week with my mum. First time I've been there in over 5 years. I liked what they've done with the decor in that time and the staff were really friendly and welcoming. Both had steak but in 2 different sauces. Was really good and well accompanied by a glass of Italian red. Fully recommend a visit.Is that the wee former Italian family owned place on the bridge ?

Mr White
07-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Is that the wee former Italian family owned place on the bridge ?

Aye. Doesn't do pizzas and the pastas and other dishes they do seem to be ones that would be less well known here I think. Really enjoyable and as I said the staff were fantastic.

MSK
07-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Aye. Doesn't do pizzas and the pastas and other dishes they do seem to be ones that would be less well known here I think. Really enjoyable and as I said the staff were fantastic.Good stuff mate cheers, Wife mentioned the place a while back but wasn't sure if it the wee Italian joint 👍🏻

Scouse Hibee
07-11-2015, 05:58 PM
I know! Wife wasn't chuffed!

Neither were the eight of us! Fortunately off licence was close.:-)

Lofarl
07-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Heading to one square at the Sheraton in festival square. I went to Le escargot bleu on broughton street last month. Fantastic cosy little French restaurant, really worth checking out.

Hope to visit Purslane in Stockbridge and Onedine in the next few weeks.

adhibs
07-11-2015, 07:40 PM
bit different seen as its a fast food place but was at wannaburger and its went downhill so much its unbelievable. hadnt been in around a year and since then its went from quality fast food burgers to to being inedible. Clearly trying to do things the cheap now as the burgers are now near enough a peely white colour and taste rank, cant be much real meat content in them at all

Moulin Yarns
07-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Anybody want special meal in Pitlochry I'm just back from Knockendarroch hotel. £42 fixed price 3 courses. Exceptionally good.

Mr Grieves
08-11-2015, 05:05 AM
Last night, Bijou, at the bottom of restalrig road. Had scallops with onion bhaji starter and Sirloin steak for the main. Top notch, as always.

IrnBru22
10-11-2015, 12:36 PM

Cheers for the recomendation. The food was nice and it turns out i know 3 of the girls that work there so we got drinks for free. Meal didnt exactly go to plan though as my long term girlfriend split up with me....

easty
10-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Cheers for the recomendation. The food was nice and it turns out i know 3 of the girls that work there so we got drinks for free. Meal didnt exactly go to plan though as my long term girlfriend split up with me....

You got free drinks and you left a single man.....I wonder if my wife fancies trying this place out sometime soon. :duck:

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Meal didnt exactly go to plan though as my long term girlfriend split up with me....

The place is called Mono for a reason .... :greengrin

alhibby
10-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Cafe Cassis in Salisbury Road, nice wee French / Scottish restaurant, basement area of Salisbury Hotel, great food and lovely staff, always enjoy going there

Pretty Boy
10-11-2015, 05:19 PM
You got free drinks and you left a single man.....I wonder if my wife fancies trying this place out sometime soon. :duck:

:tee hee:

Scouse Hibee
11-11-2015, 05:59 PM
Tried EatItalia chippy on Leith walk for the first time last week, was superb pity it's not closer to Corstorphine.................or maybe a good thing that it's not. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
11-11-2015, 06:03 PM
Tried EatItalia chippy on Leith walk for the first time last week, was superb pity it's not closer to Corstorphine.................or maybe a good thing that it's not. :greengrin

Outstanding chippy.

L'Antica on Broughton Road is also a superb chip shop. You'll wait a wee bit longer as they cook all fish fresh and only do small batches of chips at a time but it's worth the wait.

Scouse Hibee
11-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Tried the Pinto Mexican street food place on Shandwick Place recently, best described as a mexican version of a subway in my opinion, done the job for a quick bite to eat when rushing to an evening appointment but that was about it.

Pretty Boy
11-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Tried the Pinto Mexican street food place on Shandwick Place recently, best described as a mexican version of a subway in my opinion, done the job for a quick bite to eat when rushing to an evening appointment but that was about it.

It's owned by the same group who also have Amarone and Cafe Andaluz as well as various other outlets in Glasgow and Manchester.

I believe they are offloading the Pintos brand though.

Scouse Hibee
11-11-2015, 07:21 PM
It's owned by the same group who also have Amarone and Cafe Andaluz as well as various other outlets in Glasgow and Manchester.

I believe they are offloading the Pintos brand though.

Didn't realise that, never been that impressed with Amarone either, been twice once for a graduation and the other by invitation, typical chainy type food produced and some of the dishes on our table were in my opinion poor imitations of supposed Italian dishes. Mind you I am a bit biased down to my employer :greengrin

IrnBru22
12-11-2015, 11:16 AM

Try Taquitos next to the Cameo, much better. Used to be cheaper but i think they've put the prices up,as its getting much more popular

johnbc70
12-11-2015, 06:55 PM

Funny as even though that used to be closer to me I never went there as the Montgomery was always outstanding.

Mr White
12-11-2015, 07:35 PM
the Montgomery was always outstanding.

:agree: great chippy.

danhibees1875
12-11-2015, 08:29 PM
Try Taquitos next to the Cameo, much better. Used to be cheaper but i think they've put the prices up,as its getting much more popular

Was intending to write pretty much this when I first seen pinto mentioned. Fantastic burrito place!

patch1875
20-11-2015, 04:46 PM
Was in Maxi's cafe in Stockbridge for brunch today lovely food will definitely return.

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Table booked at Ronaq tomorrow night bottom of Orchard Brae, anyone been before?

Future17
20-11-2015, 07:58 PM

:greengrin

Sergey
20-11-2015, 07:59 PM
Table booked at Ronaq tomorrow night bottom of Orchard Brae, anyone been before?

I've never heard of it but had a look at their website. The restaurant proclaims to serve Indian food - what is on offer isn't Indian but Bangladeshi eats.

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2015, 08:39 PM
I've never heard of it but had a look at their website. The restaurant proclaims to serve Indian food - what is on offer isn't Indian but Bangladeshi eats.

Along with the many hundreds of similar restaurants that have followed the same pattern, probably began in the 70's now people just think Curry=Indian and expect to go to an "Indian" restaurant for a curry. I'll ask the manager for his reasons tomorrow and report back Sergey :greengrin

Sergey
20-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Along with the many hundreds of similar restaurants that have followed the same pattern, probably began in the 70's now people just think Curry=Indian and expect to go to an "Indian" restaurant for a curry. I'll ask the manager for his reasons tomorrow and report back Sergey :greengrin

:aok:

I was at the Renaissance Hotel St. Pancras today and didn't leave until 14:00'ish. I was absolutely starving and headed to Drummond Street in Euston and ate at the Ravi Shanker. All you can eat Indian buffet for £6.95 - I had three plates and scoffed a desert for good measure.

Really good Indian food and truly authentic. I'm not vegetarian (and never will be) but I really could eat those vegan dishes a lot more if I knew how to cook them properly.

There was a tempura fish style thing (I think it was fish) that was different.

I'm still stuffed and my stomach is holding-up well :greengrin

Jack
21-11-2015, 09:05 AM
I was in the Guru again last night. At this point I'll declare an interest that one of the managers is an auld pal.

I asked him about the drinks licence.

They still have it, it expires next year. I was told that there had been too many problems with the whole drinking thing and it was a distraction from their main aim of providing great food at great prices. A decision therefore made to drop it.

Diners are obviously welcome to bring their own.

I had the tandoori mixed grill with the customary elephants ear nann bread (I'm sure they take the piss, mine is even bigger than the huge ones others get ;-), Jackie had pathia. Superb!

Scouse Hibee
21-11-2015, 10:25 AM
I was in the Guru again last night. At this point I'll declare an interest that one of the managers is an auld pal.

I asked him about the drinks licence.

They still have it, it expires next year. I was told that there had been too many problems with the whole drinking thing and it was a distraction from their main aim of providing great food at great prices. A decision therefore made to drop it.

Diners are obviously welcome to bring their own.

I had the tandoori mixed grill with the customary elephants ear nann bread (I'm sure they take the piss, mine is even bigger than the huge ones others get ;-), Jackie had pathia. Superb!

Hmmmm seems a strange one as have been there many times and never seen an ounce of trouble.Think they should have publicised it better to be honest. BYOB is actually a decent selling point these days. Our problem as a group of 8 was arriving with no knowledge of it and having to then arrange to get some refreshment from a local shop. We use it frequently as a group too.

Scouse Hibee
24-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Not a restaurant but a new Indian takeaway about to open on Elm Row, Slumdog. It's in the the old No1 Chinese Restaurant building.

superfurryhibby
29-11-2015, 09:03 AM
Yes never disappointed at any of the five owned by Tony Crolla.

We wee in Vittoria's before the Dundee Utd game. They got the orders mixed up, the portions were small and I was still hungry after a starter and a main course and I'm not exactly built like man mountain. The last time I was there was in August and the order was mixed up then too.

Nice food, not enough of it and rather pricey. I'll not be going back.

Hibee87
29-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Not a restaurant but a new Indian takeaway about to open on Elm Row, Slumdog. It's in the the old No1 Chinese Restaurant building.

Ive seen this driving home and certainly looks the part from outside, plenty effort put in, even seen cars done up is it a chain? Ill defo be trying it soon so will put up my findings

Scouse Hibee
29-11-2015, 01:50 PM
Ive seen this driving home and certainly looks the part from outside, plenty effort put in, even seen cars done up is it a chain? Ill defo be trying it soon so will put up my findings

It's a one off I believe,not tried it yet but plan to soon.

patch1875
29-11-2015, 05:43 PM
We wee in Vittoria's before the Dundee Utd game. They got the orders mixed up, the portions were small and I was still hungry after a starter and a main course and I'm not exactly built like man mountain. The last time I was there was in August and the order was mixed up then too.

suprised by that always found the portions to be big and the service top notch. Agree it's not the cheapest but still our first choice family meal out.

Scouse Hibee
29-11-2015, 08:00 PM

Surprised to be honest, always find that portions sizes are plentiful, we were in La Favorita Restaurant before the Dundee Utd game and was great as usual.

offshorehibby
03-12-2015, 09:10 AM
Went to book one of our favourite Restaurants, Credo on Queen Charlotte St only to find it's closed down. What a shame, anybody here why, it was a fine we place with decent reasonably priced food.

ACLeith
04-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Went to book one of our favourite Restaurants, Credo on Queen Charlotte St only to find it's closed down. What a shame, anybody here why, it was a fine we place with decent reasonably priced food.

Been closed for a couple of months, no idea why though was never over busy when I was there.

easty
05-12-2015, 08:37 AM
I'm gong to Chaophraya tomorrow, haven't been before but only heard good things about it. Can't wait!

overdrive
05-12-2015, 09:00 AM
I'm gong to Chaophraya tomorrow, haven't been before but only heard good things about it. Can't wait!

It's good (although I'd say there a few better Thai restaurants in Edinburgh). I'm too embarrassed to go back though. I'm prone to very bad nose bleeds and the last time we were there a particularly bad nose bleed came on just as the starters arrived. It lasted ages. The staff were a bit bemused. It was all made worse due to my dentist being sat at the next table to us seeing this.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-12-2015, 12:36 PM
It was all made worse due to my dentist being sat at the next table to us seeing this.

Why? Did he catch you picking your nose?

Peevemor
12-12-2015, 09:59 PM
What about this for about £3?

It's my elder daughter's school (Christmas) lunch menu. :sauzee:

Mibbes Aye
12-12-2015, 11:00 PM

My French is rusty but it reads like you could choose scallop in a vol-au-vent, salmon in pastry with a beurre blanc sauce and a collection of petit fours for dessert for trois quid?

Bonjour! :greengrin

Jack
12-12-2015, 11:15 PM

Be alright but nae pomme de frits?

hibbybob
21-12-2015, 05:02 PM
Went to the new Oregano on Leith Walk before the game on Saturday and really enjoyed it.

Pizzas were great and more than any of us could finish.

Nice place with a good atmosphere and only 10 mins walk from ER.

patch1875
13-02-2016, 01:26 PM
We're moving to Murrayfield shortly, At Western Corner there's a little cafe called Cocobean fantastic food and superb value.

Scouse Hibee
13-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Polentoni on Easter Road is a superb Italian Cafe/Deli type place. Their sandwiches on Ciabatta or various other Italian breads are superb. Try the Speck with Pesto and Salad or Cheese with Beetroot and Salad, a busy wee place and not to be missed.

Mibbes Aye
13-02-2016, 01:58 PM
Went to Cafe Marlayne on Antigua Street a week or so ago for dinner.

The restaurant is through the back and is set out nicely, bistro-style. Food was decent to good, if unspectacular, but certainly offered value for money given it's such a central location. The service was friendly and efficient.

There are a few choices in the area for pre-Playhouse dining but I would happily go back there.

danhibees1875
13-02-2016, 02:48 PM
Ship on the shore down in Leith last Saturday was very good indeed.

Had a mixed seafood platter which was lovely. Crab claws were also very good.

Also, cafe amiga (Portuguese) on Leith walk does a lovely milkshake with a fine selection of home baked cakes.

Scouse Hibee
13-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Returning after about 20 years to the Verandah on Dalry Road tonight, heard some recent good things about it.

FFS wish I hadn't bothered to be honest, still trying to live on past glories. Have recently been giving the curries a miss and trying the tandori mixed grills. This is the worst over priced, cheap quality tandori mixed grill I have ever seen. £16.95 for a pigeon sized piece of chicken and a few other cheap cuts cooked God knows how. Won't be back for at least another twenty years!

Ronniekirk
13-02-2016, 03:40 PM
One of my favourite eateries Hanoi Bike Shop got into trouble with this advert http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160213/69c3de884989dc6e809b16aefee3a5b2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatal

Speedy
13-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Was at five guys today.

Was alright but expensive for what it is. It's basically the burger version of nandos.

Northernhibee
13-02-2016, 08:54 PM
Slightly off topic but found that Itison often have a steak selection box from Donald Russell - got it recently and it's fantastic quality - two sirloins, two rump steaks and two ribeyes, two pork chops, two packs of sausages and a pack of meatballs. £29 the lot (£72 usually) - well worth treating yourself next time the deal is on the site.

Scouse Hibee
13-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Was at five guys today.

Was alright but expensive for what it is. It's basically the burger version of nandos.

Overpriced and overhyped in my opinion.

Pete
14-02-2016, 05:12 AM
Khushi's in Dunfermline beats anything I've tasted in Edinburgh or Fife when it comes to an Indian restaurant. I used to frequent a place called the viceroy but that's now out the window. The staff are really friendly, the decor is welcoming and interesting and the quality of the food is fantastic. The chicken was really tasty and you could tell the ingredients were fresh.

If we end up playing the pars again I'd thoroughly recommend popping in for your tea. BYOB too with no corkage.

grunt
14-02-2016, 07:33 AM
Khushi's in Dunfermline beats anything I've tasted in Edinburgh or Fife when it comes to an Indian restaurant.
Agreed. Recommended.

adhibs
14-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Was at byron on north bridge a couple weeks ago. As burger chains go, its the best around. Had the 25p burger opening offer which was great. Only downside is they charge well over the odds at normal menu price.

Speedy
14-02-2016, 08:50 PM

Pretty much

Wembley67
14-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Was at The Merchants in Saturday night, terrible. Not sure how it stays open, only 3 tables taken on Valentine's night. Started was clearly straight out a packet and service was awful.

Got fairly decent reviews, no idea how!

Scouse Hibee
14-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Was at The Merchants in Saturday night, terrible. Not sure how it stays open, only 3 tables taken on Valentine's night. Started was clearly straight out a packet and service was awful.

Got fairly decent reviews, no idea how!

Merchant Street opposite Divinos?

Northernhibee
14-02-2016, 10:38 PM

A good burger should be cooked medium - medium well at most. By cooking their burgers well done they're little better than Burger King IMO.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2016, 06:57 AM
A good burger should be cooked medium - medium well at most. By cooking their burgers well done they're little better than Burger King IMO.

Not for me mate,the risk of burgers cooked medium is not one I like to take. A burger is just that,people kidding themselves on that they can have it cooked like a piece of steak is wrong.

Wembley67
15-02-2016, 04:21 PM
Merchant Street opposite Divinos?

That's the one.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2016, 04:53 PM
That's the one.

Noticed they get quite a few coach parties in there for lunch during the festival, normally asian tour groups.Often wondered how good it was.

Scouse Hibee
17-02-2016, 03:32 PM
I'm hearing the Riparian rooms has gone to the wall.

Godsahibby
17-02-2016, 04:18 PM
I visited Oregano on Leith Walk pre game last night, quite possibly one of the best pizzas i've ever had!

easty
17-02-2016, 04:38 PM
I visited Oregano on Leith Walk pre game last night, quite possibly one of the best pizzas i've ever had!

I keep hearing that. Can you get a pizza delivered from there?

patch1875
17-02-2016, 04:51 PM
Yeah think I need to get myself in also.

Anyone been to Civerino's in Hunter Square?

Godsahibby
17-02-2016, 05:17 PM

I am not sure to be honest, I think they might have a take away place across the street and up a bit.

Scouse Hibee
17-02-2016, 05:43 PM

Yes it's very good,up there with La Favorita restaurant for quality pizza.

Scouse Hibee
17-02-2016, 05:44 PM

Yes you can through Delieveroo I believe . Remember though a pizza travelled will be nowhere near as good as one straight out of the oven.

Scouse Hibee
17-02-2016, 05:53 PM
Had lunch in Scran & Scallie today,superb value from the lunch menu of 3 courses for £15.

adhibs
17-02-2016, 06:16 PM
Yeah think I need to get myself in also.

Anyone been to Civerino's in Hunter Square?

Civerinos is excellent, especially the early week £10 deal for a pizza and peroni.

Origano is very good as well, pizzas are certainly not the traditonal neapolitan style though. Can get their pizzas delivered to the Joker & Thief, which is a pretty good combination!

Scouse Hibee
17-02-2016, 06:20 PM
Civerinos is excellent, especially the early week £10 deal for a pizza and peroni.

Origano is very good as well, pizzas are certainly not the traditonal neapolitan style though. Can get their pizzas delivered to the Joker & Thief, which is a pretty good combination!

I disagree I think their pizzas are neopolitan style and certainly not like the American styled rubbish that the big chains serve.

Pretty Boy
17-02-2016, 06:42 PM
I'm hearing the Riparian rooms has gone to the wall.

Not surprised, was decent but rarely busy.

That corner of Broughton Street/London Street is strange as both side of the street seem to be constantly changing businesses. Considering the success of The Other Place just down the road and the various Broughton Street institutions it's a bit of a mystery to me.

Scouse Hibee
17-02-2016, 07:08 PM
Not surprised, was decent but rarely busy.

That corner of Broughton Street/London Street is strange as both side of the street seem to be constantly changing businesses. Considering the success of The Other Place just down the road and the various Broughton Street institutions it's a bit of a mystery to me.

Yes was decent though I think the downstairs was a bit of a waste and never really hit the heights they hoped for. Have used the place plenty of times for lunch meetings and the staff were very good with a few of them poached together from a well known luxury hotel.

adhibs
17-02-2016, 07:10 PM
I disagree I think their pizzas are neopolitan style and certainly not like the American styled rubbish that the big chains serve.

Their not the american styled rubbish but i wouldn't say there close to the neapolitan style really, far too crispy a base. There tidy anyway, I'lll more than likely happily eat from there again in the future.

Scouse Hibee
17-02-2016, 07:28 PM
Their not the american styled rubbish but i wouldn't say there close to the neapolitan style really, far too crispy a base. There tidy anyway, I'lll more than likely happily eat from there again in the future.

Neopolitan base should be crispy on bottom but slightly chewy on the top, I actually ask for mine to be a bit crispier but everyone has their own preferences I guess. Have to admit Oraegano is very good and up there with the best I have tasted, both here in Edinburgh and in the UK. You can't beat fresh dough and ingredients with no additives that's why I like La Favorita restaurant pizzas so much. I have heard people talk about The Jolly also serving great pizza but haven't tried it yet.

Pretty Boy
18-02-2016, 08:02 AM
Yes was decent though I think the downstairs was a bit of a waste and never really hit the heights they hoped for. Have used the place plenty of times for lunch meetings and the staff were very good with a few of them poached together from a well known luxury hotel.

Yep although I did notice a change in the staff recently. The manager was poached from the well known hotel but he was punted when they started trying to control staff costs and that signalled the start of real problems imo.

Frazerbob
24-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Boozy Cow give away entire profit of £263,000 to charity!

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/boozy-cow-restaurants-donate-263000-to-five-charities1/

Pretty Boy
24-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Boozy Cow give away entire profit of £263,000 to charity!

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/boozy-cow-restaurants-donate-263000-to-five-charities1/

Probably a bit easier to do when your Dads worth £2.2bn.

Seriously though nice gesture that will help those charities a lot.

IrnBru22
25-02-2016, 01:13 AM
Was at byron on north bridge a couple weeks ago. As burger chains go, its the best around. Had the 25p burger opening offer which was great. Only downside is they charge well over the odds at normal menu price.

3 of my friends have had food poisoning from there.

Scouse Hibee
25-02-2016, 09:44 AM
3 of my friends have had food poisoning from there.

Have they? Confirmed food poisoning from the doctor following a stool sample or any other confirmation.

Ajo
25-02-2016, 10:01 AM
I was at riverlife last night on Dalry Road. Caribbean/French restaurant with BYOB - looks a bit run down from the outside however highly recommend the place, the jerk chicken was brilliant!

alhibby
26-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Iris in Thistle Street, a bit pricey but food is excellent

http://www.irisedinburgh.co.uk/

lord bunberry
26-02-2016, 10:06 AM
I went to Butternut Squash down at Portobello last week. I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. It's nothing fancy, but the food was good and it was byob and the people working there were really nice.

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2016, 10:49 AM
Tried Burger on Shandwick Place on Wednesday night. Quite impressed with the blue cheese burger especially as I could eat it without the need for a knife and fork as a burger should be.

hibee_girl
27-02-2016, 05:42 PM
I went to Butternut Squash down at Portobello last week. I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. It's nothing fancy, but the food was good and it was byob and the people working there were really nice.

:agree: We go there a lot, really good value and excellent food.

Silky
02-03-2016, 05:47 AM
:agree: We go there a lot, really good value and excellent food.

Yeah. Have to agree. Not far from me and go there quite a bit. Lovely people who own it and great food.

adhibs
31-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Went to al dente for the first time last week. Dont know how its took me so long for my first visit but will definitely be back. Had ok bruschetta followed by a tidy carbonara. Top service as well.

Ajo
31-03-2016, 06:59 PM
Went to Civerinos last week and really enjoyed it - shared a spicy sausage pizza and a wild boar and pancetta carbonara which was lovely.

Has anyone been to bread meats bread yet? I'm going to try go tomorrow night after work but have heard the queues are long for a table!

Scouse Hibee
31-03-2016, 07:31 PM
Tried Tony Singhs new offering in the Apex at the grassmarket. Total rubbish, talk about someone not really giving a **** about what they put their name too. Poor service,raw chicken wings, bland fishballs, burnt haggis pakora, and the rest. The menu sounds so inviting too "fusion food" my erse.

patch1875
01-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Tried Tony Singhs new offering in the Apex at the grassmarket. Total rubbish, talk about someone not really giving a **** about what they put their name too. Poor service,raw chicken wings, bland fishballs, burnt haggis pakora, and the rest. The menu sounds so inviting too "fusion food" my erse.

That's a shame. Tony's a good guy hopefully he sorts it out.

Moulin Yarns
11-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Not a revue, more looking for a recommendation.

Planning a treat for a birthday, and have come up with 3 options.

Where would folks go, allowing for the fact that 2 are in Edinburgh and the third isn't, location is not important.

http://www.restaurantmartinwishart.co.uk/

http://thekitchin.com/

http://threechimneys.co.uk/

Cheers.

easty
11-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Not a revue, more looking for a recommendation.

Planning a treat for a birthday, and have come up with 3 options.

Where would folks go, allowing for the fact that 2 are in Edinburgh and the third isn't, location is not important.

http://www.restaurantmartinwishart.co.uk/

http://thekitchin.com/

http://threechimneys.co.uk/

Cheers.

I can't compare the three to say which is best, but I have been to the Martin Wishart restaurant and it was absolutely excellent.

PercyHibs
13-04-2016, 02:46 PM
I'm a big Origano fan. I'm in there far too much. Went for a pizza at Eden Kitchen on Broughton Street on Saturday. Thought it was excellent. Garlic Mushrooms were amazing followed by a really good pizza. BYOB too.

Scouse Hibee
13-04-2016, 06:33 PM
For those my side of town,new indian restaurant coming soon at Blackhall on the site of the old Suburban Pantry.

Wembley67
14-04-2016, 12:23 PM
For those my side of town,new indian restaurant coming soon at Blackhall on the site of the old Suburban Pantry.

Quite sad the Pantry closed down.

Scouse Hibee
14-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Quite sad the Pantry closed down.

I know the owner Martin he still has the food franchise in Tiles. A good guy and decent chef.

Wembley67
14-04-2016, 01:52 PM
I know the owner Martin he still has the food franchise in Tiles. A good guy and decent chef.

I don't know him personally but I grew up with his wife, nice lassie. Always nice to see a local taking an interest in the area. I don't really think another Indian is going to do very well there.

Scouse Hibee
16-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Blackwood's tonight at Nira Caledonia, anyone been? Don't normally go out for steak but this place has a josper grill and supposed to be one of the best steaks in Edinburgh so making an exception.

Scouse Hibee
17-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Blackwood's tonight at Nira Caledonia, anyone been? Don't normally go out for steak but this place has a josper grill and supposed to be one of the best steaks in Edinburgh so making an exception.

Was very good, excellent Rib Eye Steak cooked to perfection on josper grill, duck terrine with pickled mushrooms a great starter. Will definitely be returning.

alhibby
18-04-2016, 06:20 PM

Went to this last year, it was awful then as well,

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Went to this last year, it was awful then as well,

Having read the review of his similar set up in the Glasgow casino it seems it's awful everywhere.

Jack
25-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Rip Off Britain (BBC1) have just done a thing on the food hygiene notices you see in the windows of eating places. It wasn't good viewing.

So I looked up the Food Standards website for my regular haunts. Just been on the Beeb so obviously the site has crashed. So then I thought they might have an app. They don't but there's a few to choose from.

Well I'm scunnered. I set it at 5 miles from my house which is quite close to Easter Road stadium, under 10 minutes walk.

There are 2,600 eating places in that area.

More than 600 (six flipping hundred) are noted "Improvement Required".

There's a fair few have been mentioned here as being worthy of visits.

There's an amazing number of well known places you'd think don't have the notice in the window because they're too up market to consider demeaning themselves.

Some national, even international chains!

Some quite new places.

Most worrying. A high number of places I frequent!

Both Edinburgh fitba clubs passed, only half surprised at that ;-)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sotd.foodhygiene

Moulin Yarns
25-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Had a bar meal at Teuchter's in Leith on Saturday night, fairly good, and very popular bar. Wouldn't mind it as my local.