PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: CLUB STATEMENT

RSS Bot
23-04-2015, 04:40 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5381)

Hibernian FC welcomed a decision taken at a General Meeting of the SPFL today (Thursday) to look in detail at how relegation parachute payments will be funded in future, when current Scottish FA financial support comes to an end.

Clubs attending today’s meeting were in general agreement that a better answer should be sought.

In addition, Hibernian FC also welcomes an agreement on tackling how Clubs which enter insolvency should be dealt with, which tightens the regulations.

On the issue of Play-Off Levy, three Clubs – Hibernian, Heart of Midlothian and Motherwell - had requested a simple Resolution which would have had the effect that the Levy should be 25% while the Parachute payment is fully funded by the Scottish FA and 50% when there is no Scottish FA funding. All three Clubs were invited to speak.

The Board’s own resolution on minimum pricing, the eligibility of Season Tickets and an allowance for match expenses in respect of Play Off finances was also considered as Resolution 2.

Neither resolution progressed. Resolution 1 failed at the first hurdle when a majority of Premiership Clubs voted against it. Resolution 2 was then withdrawn by the SPFL Board, with the consent of a majority of Clubs present.

Leeann Dempster, Chief Executive of Hibernian, said: “There was a good discussion at the General Meeting on the Play Off Levy and we accept the considered will of Member Clubs.
“In truth, the debate began in October last year when the Board of the SPFL brought forward its resolution on minimum pricing and the eligibility of Season Tickets which prompted the debate around the Levy at a time when the Parachute payment if fully funded by the Scottish FA.

“The matter has been concluded and the focus should now be on the important matches we face in the coming weeks, starting with the match against Alloa Athletic here on Saturday.”

Big_Franck
23-04-2015, 04:46 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5381)

All very confusing IMO.

Can anyone give us a breakdown of how the parachute payments and play-off levy and gate receipts work? Also, has it been confirmed how much teams in the play-offs stand to make from tv revenue?

3pm
23-04-2015, 04:58 PM
That mean ST holders are paying to get into the play offs then?

ManBearPig
23-04-2015, 05:15 PM
Now further forward but we've had a good chat

Blaster
23-04-2015, 05:28 PM
That mean ST holders are paying to get into the play offs then?

No I think it said that proposal was withdrawn

I'll check it again

greenginger
23-04-2015, 05:41 PM
http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/spfl-general-meeting/

The report does not mention season tickets at playoff games so I would presume it will be the same as last year.

Tickets valid then ? , I missed the debacle last year.

hibee_girl
23-04-2015, 05:42 PM
http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/spfl-general-meeting/

The report does not mention season tickets at playoff games so I would presume it will be the same as last year.

Tickets valid then ? , I missed the debacle last year.

We got to use our season tickets last season but teams like Falkirk made their fans pay.

I fully expect us to have to pay this season.

Tyler Durden
23-04-2015, 05:44 PM
I read that as Hibs resolution or proposal to make STs valid, was not taken forward. So it will be ticketed and ST holders pay like everyone else.

Blaster
23-04-2015, 05:44 PM
We got to use our season tickets last season but teams like Falkirk made their fans pay.

I fully expect us to have to pay this season.

As a season ticket holder I wouldn mind paying a reduced price to walk ups but would be disappointed if we have to pay full price

Hibernian Verse
23-04-2015, 05:51 PM
As a season ticket holder I wouldn mind paying a reduced price to walk ups but would be disappointed if we have to pay full price

Unfortunately our season tickets are valid for the regular season only and we will pay full price! Of that there is no doubt!

greenlex
23-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Having backed the club with technically an overpriced season ticket for second teir football I would be disappointed if they were not valid for the playoff games. This is compounded by the fact that half of any cash raised goes to all the other clubs. Mental

Hfc_Since1875
23-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Having backed the club with technically an overpriced season ticket for second teir football I would be disappointed if they were not valid for the playoff games. This is compounded by the fact that half of any cash raised goes to all the other clubs. Mental

I'm sure we don't have a choice?

I thought the rules stated that we have to charge a set ticket price and then the money is split?

Saying that we did manage last year so I dont know if im talking garbage or if the rules have changed

Kaff
23-04-2015, 06:03 PM
I read this and previous as an SPFL resolution that they could tell clubs a minimum gate price and that seasons weren't valid, in an attempt to keep gate receipts high I would assume. Hibs have always been against it as far as i was concerned.
Edit and I assume they removed the resolution today before it was voted on so is not in place for the play offs

Sir David Gray
23-04-2015, 06:16 PM

I made a similar point a couple of weeks ago and a few people said Hibs didn't have any choice but to charge season ticket holders for the play off matches.

I don't know the ins and outs of the whole thing but, either way, I think it's poor if season ticket holders are charged to attend the home play off matches, regardless of whether Hibs as a club have any say on the matter.

Billy Whizz
23-04-2015, 06:20 PM
I made a similar point a couple of weeks ago and a few people said Hibs didn't have any choice but to charge season ticket holders for the play off matches.

I don't know the ins and outs of the whole thing but, either way, I think it's poor if season ticket holders are charged to attend the home play off matches, regardless of whether Hibs as a club have any say on the matter.

Think Hibs funded the play off game against Hamilton last season, for season ticket holders. If we were to get 3 home games in the playoffs, that's a lot of money that we'd have to pay out. Could be 21,000 tickets (based on 7000 season ticket holders), at even a min of £10 each, is a lot of dosh

Sir David Gray
23-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Think Hibs funded the play off game against Hamilton last season, for season ticket holders. If we were to get 3 home games in the playoffs, that's a lot of money that we'd have to pay out. Could be 21,000 tickets (based on 7000 season ticket holders), at even a min of £10 each, is a lot of dosh

The counter argument being that we've already been charged Premiership prices for Championship football this season.

To be honest, I am less bothered about this than I was last year, given the circumstances of last year's collapse.

Realistically, Hibs really couldn't have expected people to pay for a game that we should never have had to play in the first place.

I still strongly believe that season tickets should be valid for these matches and that goes for fans of all the clubs involved, not just Hibs.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-04-2015, 07:08 PM
“In truth, the debate began in October last year when the Board of the SPFL brought forward its resolution on minimum pricing and the eligibility of Season Tickets which prompted the debate around the Levy at a time when the Parachute payment if fully funded by the Scottish FA."

For me this is the most telling piece. Just goes to show how slow this decision making process is then funny how it's surfaced now and Hibs are thrust forward as the twisted firestarters...

macca70
23-04-2015, 07:21 PM
So my understanding, The other clubs don't want to allow us to allow season tickets to be used, they know that we get significantly higher attendances therefore despite none of them making the play offs, they will still cash in.

Poor show from the other clubs, who are milking every penny out of having the bigger supports of Hibs and Rangers in the playoffs, the Fans get shafted as usual.

Blaster
23-04-2015, 07:54 PM
So my understanding, The other clubs don't want to allow us to allow season tickets to be used, they know that we get significantly higher attendances therefore despite none of them making the play offs, they will still cash in.

Poor show from the other clubs, who are milking every penny out of having the bigger supports of Hibs and Rangers in the playoffs, the Fans get shafted as usual.

I believe it was the spfl board proposal rather than the clubs themselves

It's the clubs that rejected it

bingo70
23-04-2015, 07:57 PM

I don't understand why Scottish football gets run as a democracy, surely all clubs will vote for what's best for their club, not what's best for Scottish football.

Imo there should be a body in charge that makes the difficult decisions, do other countries run football the way we do?

Eyrie
23-04-2015, 08:18 PM
If I'm read that statement correctly, the resolution was only voted on by the top flight clubs. As soon as they said no, that ruled it out completely because each division has to approve the change.

So it was the vested interests of teams that aren't involved that prevented the cash grab being stopped.

Surely all 42 clubs should have been allowed to take part in a straight vote?

Diclonius
23-04-2015, 08:24 PM
Are Hibs and Hearts starting to work together on league issues? That's twice Hearts have offered us support on an issue they're not involved in.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Are Hibs and Hearts starting to work together on league issues? That's twice Hearts have offered us support on an issue they're not involved in.

The point I was making was on the money split issue this was first raised in OCTOBER! So neither club could have foreseen how things would pan out at that stage. The fact the press make out were only bleating about it now would appear to be well wide of the mark as I read it?

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-04-2015, 10:01 PM
Yet another shambolic decision by the idiots that run our game. When will it end? So we have to pay full whack, potentially three times, and then the money goes to premier teams that will likely never be involved in a play off. It's that actually what's happening here? And Hibs can't decide what to charge their own fans. Joke

Sir David Gray
23-04-2015, 10:09 PM
The money from the gate receipts should be split 50/50 between the two clubs concerned and that should be it.

greenginger
23-04-2015, 10:11 PM
“In truth, the debate began in October last year when the Board of the SPFL brought forward its resolution on minimum pricing and the eligibility of Season Tickets which prompted the debate around the Levy at a time when the Parachute payment if fully funded by the Scottish FA."

For me this is the most telling piece. Just goes to show how slow this decision making process is then funny how it's surfaced now and Hibs are thrust forward as the twisted firestarters...

Its my reading that the SPFL Board promoted resolution 2 concerning minimum pricing and non use of season tickets and that resolution was withdrawn.

So rules should be the same as last year.

Argylehibby
23-04-2015, 10:44 PM
The counter argument being that we've already been charged Premiership prices for Championship football this season.

To be honest, I am less bothered about this than I was last year, given the circumstances of last year's collapse.

Realistically, Hibs really couldn't have expected people to pay for a game that we should never have had to play in the first place.

I still strongly believe that season tickets should be valid for these matches and that goes for fans of all the clubs involved, not just Hibs.

There is I believe a levy of £15 per game that has to be paid by someone to the football authorities. if we get to the the final potential is 3 home games so that means 3 x 7000 (ish season tickets) x £15 = £315,000. Do you honestly thisnk the club should pay that? thats a wage in excessof £6k per week for a player.

The issue is that the authorities want a slice of the cake and until they stop being greedy then the clubs have to ask the fans to pay.

Sir David Gray
23-04-2015, 10:49 PM
There is I believe a levy of £15 per game that has to be paid by someone to the football authorities. if we get to the the final potential is 3 home games so that means 3 x 7000 (ish season tickets) x £15 = £315,000. Do you honestly thisnk the club should pay that? thats a wage in excessof £6k per week for a player.

The issue is that the authorities want a slice of the cake and until they stop being greedy then the clubs have to ask the fans to pay.

Like I said, I'm unaware of the ins and outs of the fine details.

All I know is, as a season ticket holder, I don't expect to pay to attend a play off match at Easter Road.

If your sums are correct then Hibs and all the other clubs should be getting together to get this stupid rule changed.

greenginger
23-04-2015, 11:02 PM
http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootball leagueasat1january2015_1420461886.pdf

Rule C26 on page 32 covers play-off levy

50% of all admission monies charged by home club ex VAT.

B.H.F.C
23-04-2015, 11:23 PM
Crap as it is at least Hibs tried to do something about it. Hopefully it doesn't have too much of an affect on the crowd for any playoff games.

Beefster
24-04-2015, 04:56 AM
I don't understand why Scottish football gets run as a democracy, surely all clubs will vote for what's best for their club, not what's best for Scottish football.

Imo there should be a body in charge that makes the difficult decisions, do other countries run football the way we do?

You don't think Scottish football should be run as a democracy because the decisions taken are in the best interests of a majority of the clubs? Really?

FWIW, I don't mind paying for the playoffs and, if it was Rangers or Celtic attempting to reduce the money that smaller clubs received under existing rules, I suspect that folk on here would be doing their dinger. We can't have it all ways.

bingo70
24-04-2015, 06:13 AM
You don't think Scottish football should be run as a democracy because the decisions taken are in the best interests of a majority of the clubs? Really?

FWIW, I don't mind paying for the playoffs and, if it was Rangers or Celtic attempting to reduce the money that smaller clubs received under existing rules, I suspect that folk on here would be doing their dinger. We can't have it all ways.

I just think if you take a club with no interest in this, for example east Stirling, are they going to vote for what's the right and fairest thing to do or are they going to do what's best for east Stirling? The answers obvious, I think that decision should be taken out of their hands and it should be someone impartial making the decisions. Some decisions should go to a vote but there are some where somebody needs to make a decision.

Out of interest do you know how it works in England? I genuinely have no idea but I'd be surprised if clubs like Swindon and Darlington could make decisions that would affect man u and Chelsea?

Beefster
24-04-2015, 06:55 AM
I just think if you take a club with no interest in this, for example east Stirling, are they going to vote for what's the right and fairest thing to do or are they going to do what's best for east Stirling? The answers obvious, I think that decision should be taken out of their hands and it should be someone impartial making the decisions. Some decisions should go to a vote but there are some where somebody needs to make a decision.

Out of interest do you know how it works in England? I genuinely have no idea but I'd be surprised if clubs like Swindon and Darlington could make decisions that would affect man u and Chelsea?

Presumably it's different in England because the Football League and the Premiership are separate entities (probably like Scotland when it had the SPL and SFL).

Fairness is irrelevant IMHO. The clubs own the league so, if a majority want something, the decision should be made by them. Putting an extra body at the top to make decisions is akin to dictatorship. You could have policies being implemented that the overwhelming majority of members opposed.

s.a.m
24-04-2015, 07:38 AM

IIRC, Leeann said in her previous statement (or in an interview, can't remember which), that the money goes predominantly to the Premiership clubs, with the amount decreasing to paltry at the bottom end.

DH1875
24-04-2015, 07:48 AM
I don't get the arguement here at all. In just about every other league around the world, teams charge their fans for playoff games. Even other sports with playoffs charge extra. You only need to look at last season to see that all 3 first divison teams charged their fans. When we played Hamilton, their ST holders had to pay. As far as I'm aware I even think our ST holders had to pay last season but that THE CLUB to the hit and forked out the cash. To expect them to do that this year is just crazy esp if its 3 games. Would cost the club a fortune.

patlowe
24-04-2015, 08:42 AM
I have no problem with some of the money being redistributed to a certain extent - that's good for the game IMO - but I do have an issue if the majority of the money is going into the hands of the top clubs, in this case Celtic and Aberdeen in particular. As far as I understand it, that's what's happening - can anyone enlighten?

Big_Franck
24-04-2015, 09:28 AM
http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootball leagueasat1january2015_1420461886.pdf

So Hibs have to hand over 50% of all gate receipts for the play-offs before costs such as policing and stewarding? That could mean we only keep 30-35% of our gate receipts. Can't see how anyone would think that was fair.

Sergio sledge
24-04-2015, 09:46 AM

I think that this is the prize money distribution for the SPFL. IMHO it is scandalous that the premiership clubs get 82% of the prize money anyway and that any changes to this can be vetoed by the premiership clubs alone. It is the same situation we had with the old firm being able to veto any changes in the old SPL, just on a larger scale. The premiership clubs get the vast majority of the money and the other clubs just have to be grateful for the scraps that they get....

Premiership
Championship
League 1
League 2

13.39%

9.56%

8.13%

7.17%

6.70%

6.22%

5.88%

5.60%

5.50%

5.02%

4.54%

4.07%

2.15%

1.91%

1.67%

1.43%

1.34%

1.05%

0.96%

0.86%

0.77%

0.67%

0.57%

0.48%

0.32%

0.29%

0.29%

0.28%

0.28%

0.27%

0.26%

0.25%

0.24%

0.24%

0.23%

0.23%

0.22%

0.22%

0.21%

0.20%

0.19%

0.18%

CallumLaidlaw
24-04-2015, 10:11 AM
I don't get the arguement here at all. In just about every other league around the world, teams charge their fans for playoff games. Even other sports with playoffs charge extra. You only need to look at last season to see that all 3 first divison teams charged their fans. When we played Hamilton, their ST holders had to pay. As far as I'm aware I even think our ST holders had to pay last season but that THE CLUB to the hit and forked out the cash. To expect them to do that this year is just crazy esp if its 3 games. Would cost the club a fortune.

I don't think the club did have to take the hit as such, hence why the rules have been changed this season to say that ST holders cant get in for free. Cos essentially, if the club wanted to, they could still say ST holders are free, and they would just put the money in themselves. I wouldnt expect or want the club to do this tho.

patlowe
24-04-2015, 11:23 AM
I think that this is the prize money distribution for the SPFL. IMHO it is scandalous that the premiership clubs get 82% of the prize money anyway and that any changes to this can be vetoed by the premiership clubs alone. It is the same situation we had with the old firm being able to veto any changes in the old SPL, just on a larger scale. The premiership clubs get the vast majority of the money and the other clubs just have to be grateful for the scraps that they get....

This begins to show the price of getting through any sort of change or improvement in Scottish football, in this case playoffs. The clubs at the top are motivated solely by self-interest, rightly or wrongly.

Bad Martini
24-04-2015, 11:39 AM
NO matter what way you cut this, it's bollocks.

Its bollocks the already rich (putting aside this season and the teams in the championship who would normally be in the premier league) premier league teams should cream off so much cash from playoffs.

Its bollocks that teams looking to help their fans (and essentially keep football alive, something the authorities clearly dont give a **** about) are penalised and prevented from doing.

And, it's bollocks that this debate was left til now. It should have been finalised before a ****ing ball was kicked in this league i.e. you will pay for all league games, no free play offs, take it or leave it...etc.

In fact, its all bollocks.

ENDOF

Eyrie
24-04-2015, 12:01 PM
A levy of 50% of the monies (gross excluding VAT) received or receivable by the Home Club for all Play-Off Matches played in the Premiership/Championship Play-Off Competition from all admission charges paid and payable to and for the relevant Play-Off Match shall be paid by the Home Club to the Company within seven days of the date on which each Play-Off Match is played.

We need a lawyer here, but surely if Hibs say that the playoff games will be free to existing season ticket holders then there will be no monies receivable from those fans because their season ticket is purchased for the normal 18 home games (plus cup top up if applicable)?

So we'd only need to hand over monies receivable from PATG fans.

FranckSuzy
24-04-2015, 12:57 PM
That statement needs reviewed by the 'Plain English Campaign', IMHO :rolleyes:

CropleyWasGod
24-04-2015, 01:14 PM

Its bollocks the already rich (putting aside this season and the teams in the championship who would normally be in the premier league) premier league teams should cream off so much cash from playoffs.

Its bollocks that teams looking to help their fans (and essentially keep football alive, something the authorities clearly dont give a **** about) are penalised and prevented from doing.

And, it's bollocks that this debate was left til now. It should have been finalised before a ****ing ball was kicked in this league i.e. you will pay for all league games, no free play offs, take it or leave it...etc.

ENDOF

Can't help thinking that the SPFL, not having a sponsor, are struggling to meet the various parachute payments, and this is how they're financing it. I say "they" when, of course, it's the supporters.

Geo_1875
24-04-2015, 02:23 PM

ENDOF

:top marks

greenginger
27-04-2015, 10:24 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32490412

The Rangers wanting to let their season ticket holders into the playoffs for nothing .

Hermit Crab
27-04-2015, 10:27 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32490412

The Rangers wanting to let their season ticket holders into the playoffs for nothing .

Surely they need the money? :confused:

greenginger
27-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Surely they need the money? :confused:

With 50% going to the League ( biggest share to celtic :greengrin ) . I think they might feel having a crowd behind them more important than loosing a few bob and having to play at an half empty ground.