PDA

View Full Version : Sky up the bill AGAIN!!!

HibbyAndy
19-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Now to start with i have mates on here who work with Sky so please guys it's not personal :aok:

Got a letter through the door Saturday from Sky ( Totally out the blue and with no prior warning) telling me my current bill will jump an extra £4.50 per month..Now my bill as it stands is in excess off over £105 per month as i have all the packages pretty much ,So quick check of the maths tells me i'l be paying an extra £50 or over..on top of my monthly bill per year ..And BTW i'm almost 100% certain it's not even been a year since they bumped it up £4.50 last time!!

Letter goes on to say i'l be able to watch more 'Ashes and every race weekend' This a piss take ?!! Horse racing ? Wtf!! Cricket?? Eh naw!!.

Though it does say they are bringing over 300 more box sets but i watch to much tv as it is.

Sky is on the slide as it is and i want out, So my question is who on here uses anyone BUT Sky and what do you get for your monthly payments ?

That letter telling me i will be paying an extra £4.50 a month absolute sickened me! Never ever later for a payment and have pretty much all channels you can run and ****ing jump!

Viva_Palmeiras
19-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Netflix £5.99 and Amazon Prime £79 per year Allied with bt sports as part of BT infinity package gives me all I need. You become a slave to sky. do you really need all you can eat Television? Reclaim your life and money and go and do something less boring instead as kids of the 70s will tell you ;)

At £4.50 you've almost paid for netflix itself...

take out Amazon Prime Video (films, series, exclusives) or Netflix (similar) for a months free trial and see what you think. Amazon prime in addition gives you access to free deliveries, free unlimited photos in the cloud and upto 5gb video and some free kindle titles if you have a kindle device.

pick co and choose your odd game or film if you must (Now TV) you're paying over £1000 a year that's nuts isn't it? You'll knock a big dent out of that bill in the process. according to money saving expert Sky are one of the better companies to haggle with it you wAnt to batter them down. How long have you been with them? I'd say look I've been a loyal customer for x years. Don't take the proverbial - inflation is zero. It's the ones that sit back and take it I feel sorry for as they pay to your haggling but loyalty means NOTHING but exploitation of the lazy.

HibbyAndy
19-04-2015, 07:08 PM
Netflix and Amazon Prime. Allied with bt sports as part of BT infinity package gives me all I need. You become a slave to sky. do you really need all you can eat Television? Reclaim your life and money and go and do something less boring instead as kids of the 70s will tell you ;)

At £4.50 you've almost paid for netflix itself...

pick co and choose your odd game or film if you must you're paying over £1000 a year that's nuts isn't it?

That's the clincher :agree:

Was always gonna look elsewhere as guys in the pub are forever telling me to ditch Sky and get a Now tv box etc...I even had a random walk into my garden in the summer telling me to pay for a one off box and he could get me pretty much all the channels at less than half the price but i never ever had a problem with Sky so stayed loyal but that letter pissed me right off..If your gonna write to me tell me it's because im' a loyal customer and you have a deal for me.. Not to enhance my monthly bill with no advance warning!!

Viva_Palmeiras
19-04-2015, 07:19 PM
That's the clincher :agree:

Was always gonna look elsewhere as guys in the pub are forever telling me to ditch Sky and get a Now tv box etc...I even had a random walk into my garden in the summer telling me to pay for a one off box and he could get me pretty much all the channels at less than half the price but i never ever had a problem with Sky so stayed loyal but that letter pissed me right off..If your gonna write to me tell me it's because im' a loyal customer and you have a deal for me.. Not to enhance my monthly bill with no advance warning!!

What we pay for "entertainment" is nuts. We first bought Sky in 2007 before my son was born as we figured (rightly!) we wouldn't be getting out much. Got the full monty package at the time iirc it was £75 - that was nuts then. But you get used to it and complacent - hell we didn't even get full use of the sky+ box functionality as we only had one feed through a communal feed (long story)

tot up phone/mobile, Internet, tv and after council tax it's probably the largest of your outgoings I'd imagine.

But it how much of that do you actually need ? That's the questio are you paying over the odds for all you can eat broadband/mobile phone, tv? Do you really need to watch the latest or can you wait for series to become available on the likes of Netflix? Dare I say do you or your good lady (if you have one) really need a weekend of wall-to-wall football?

patch1875
19-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Mines is up £4 phoning tomorrow to strip the package down, sports etc would ditch it completely if it wasn't for Atlantic and the F1.

Sir David Gray
19-04-2015, 07:30 PM
How glad am I that I left my job at Sky back in January!?

These sorts of discussions were all too familiar!

If you're not in any minimum contract, just phone up and say you want to cancel. They'll likely offer you a deal to stay.

Haymaker
19-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Well they have just forked out £5 billion to bring you the best football league in the whole wide world... :greengrin

In all honesty, I don't think SKY is worth it. A top end Internet connection, Netflix etc and a few choice websites for all the sport I want to watch.

lord bunberry
19-04-2015, 08:04 PM
I switched to Virgin a while back and it's a bit cheaper. You get BT Sports free and the Disney channels are included in the package, there's a couple of channels you don't get though. Having said that I still pay about £100 a month and I don't get the movie channels.

hibbymick
19-04-2015, 08:05 PM
My mate gets me a code that gives us half price sky for 12 months. We use my name the first year and my better halfs name the following year and so on, weve never had any problems.

Moulin Yarns
19-04-2015, 09:29 PM
When Sky stole £65 from me for a non existent engineer call out a couple of years ago was the final straw. Get rid. I went for freesat and don't miss Sky at all. Football? Pub. Series? Box set.

snooky
19-04-2015, 11:04 PM
I'm going to get rid of my TV altogether. It's a waste of space, time & money.
Never had Sky (or anything like it). All I do is think 'Rupert Murdoch' and my mind's made up.

Hibrandenburg
20-04-2015, 06:57 AM
Just informed sky of my location. They very kindly agreed to sever my contract there and then. Now got German Sky at less than half the price and almost everything is available in dual language.

bobbyhibs1983
20-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Now to start with i have mates on here who work with Sky so please guys it's not personal :aok:

Got a letter through the door Saturday from Sky ( Totally out the blue and with no prior warning) telling me my current bill will jump an extra £4.50 per month..Now my bill as it stands is in excess off over £105 per month as i have all the packages pretty much ,So quick check of the maths tells me i'l be paying an extra £50 or over..on top of my monthly bill per year ..And BTW i'm almost 100% certain it's not even been a year since they bumped it up £4.50 last time!!

Letter goes on to say i'l be able to watch more 'Ashes and every race weekend' This a piss take ?!! Horse racing ? Wtf!! Cricket?? Eh naw!!.

Though it does say they are bringing over 300 more box sets but i watch to much tv as it is.

Sky is on the slide as it is and i want out, So my question is who on here uses anyone BUT Sky and what do you get for your monthly payments ?

That letter telling me i will be paying an extra £4.50 a month absolute sickened me! Never ever later for a payment and have pretty much all channels you can run and ****ing jump!

we have virgin here and have prehaps the*top package* so to speak ,we have 2 boxes, the top internet speed thing(152mb?) and the phone /line rental thing and the tv package(for the 2 rooms) for prob in and around what you have.
But in thinking in regards, half the bl**dy channels we dont use! for example the kids channels wf?(we are all over 20 in the household).thoguh i dont think we can ditch those channels and save money there i think its a whole package thing.
As someone has said phone and threaten to cancel and hopefully you wiull get a better deal(if you our the contract thing!)

It all depends what you need really,If your not fussed about internet speed there are loads of companies that offer lowish cost(imo) internet .
Do you need a landline phone in your house?(this has been a thing my dad and i have talked about we are both unsure if the phone is need for the internet?)

Hope this helps
good luck

Sir David Gray
20-04-2015, 03:23 PM
we have virgin here and have prehaps the*top package* so to speak ,we have 2 boxes, the top internet speed thing(152mb?) and the phone /line rental thing and the tv package(for the 2 rooms) for prob in and around what you have.
But in thinking in regards, half the bl**dy channels we dont use! for example the kids channels wf?(we are all over 20 in the household).thoguh i dont think we can ditch those channels and save money there i think its a whole package thing.
As someone has said phone and threaten to cancel and hopefully you wiull get a better deal(if you our the contract thing!)

It all depends what you need really,If your not fussed about internet speed there are loads of companies that offer lowish cost(imo) internet .
Do you need a landline phone in your house?(this has been a thing my dad and i have talked about we are both unsure if the phone is need for the internet?)

Hope this helps
good luck

You can still have broadband with Virgin without having a landline package.

Most companies don't offer this though and if you take broadband, at the very least you also need to take line rental.

You don't need to have an actual landline phone plugged in though.

Golden Bear
20-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Mines is up £4 phoning tomorrow to strip the package down, sports etc would ditch it completely if it wasn't for Atlantic and the F1.

Do that - it's worth the call. I removed the Movie Channels by myself online then phoned up Sky asking how I could reduce my bill further as quite frankly I'd reached my limit. I ended up with the same package (including the Movies) but at a price which was £12 per month cheaper than I had originally.

Go for it.

Hibby Bairn
20-04-2015, 05:01 PM
They have you by the hee haws if you are a sport lover/addict. As I am.

They know you find it hard to give up immediate access to pretty much the most comprehensive suite of sport available on tv.

Football galore; Golf galore; Cricket galore including all the big games (champs league; Prem; La Liga; Golf's majors; all the test matches etc). Go in admit it their coverage and product is very, very good.

I guess the day might come when you can just buy the sports package and nothing else but not any time soon. So I'm sticking with Jeff et al.

:aok:

David_D
20-04-2015, 05:29 PM
I phoned Sky today as I was getting fed up of the high bills. By the end of the phone call they had reduced my bill by £25 a month plus I got free upgrade to Fibre optic high speed Broadband. Worth giving them a call see what they say.

Beefster
20-04-2015, 07:19 PM
I've had it with Sky. Basically, unless you phone them up every few months, they treat you like a mug. It's the folk who never phone up to haggle with them that subsidise those of us that do.

Time to be looking at Freesat. Given we have Netflix and Amazon, it shouldn't be that much of a sacrifice.

Danderhall Hibs
20-04-2015, 07:40 PM
I've had it with Sky. Basically, unless you phone them up every few months, they treat you like a mug. It's the folk who never phone up to haggle with them that subsidise those of us that do.

Time to be looking at Freesat. Given we have Netflix and Amazon, it shouldn't be that much of a sacrifice.

:agree: they're not interested in loyal customers just want to keep churning new customers.

There was a friends and family available last year - £25 for 25 months. Only available to new customers obviously. They wouldn't want to celebrate their 25 years with the customers that had spent some/most of that 25 years with them would they?

bobbyhibs1983
20-04-2015, 08:37 PM
You can still have broadband with Virgin without having a landline package.

Most companies don't offer this though and if you take broadband, at the very least you also need to take line rental.

You don't need to have an actual landline phone plugged in though.

ok thanx for the advice,My mum and dad both have commented on how many phones calls we make via our house phone (a couple per month?)
and we dont recieve that many either prehaps 1-2 that we want in the sense rather than the other 10 a week from sales people type calls.

Hibs Class
21-04-2015, 12:39 PM
I called Sky today - with the increases my annual cost would have been up to £1,044, all they offered was a reduction of £7.50 a month (as I've got a £4.50 increase it would be £3 less than I'm currently paying). I said that increasing prices now was unreasonable, given zero inflation, the justification was that Sky have just paid £6bn for English football - I guess he didn't get my accent!

So have cancelled sports and movies - I'll still get BT Sport separately - and will be almost £40 a month better off. It'll drag me away from watching too much football and get me doing something better with my time.

(We also spoke about Scottish football - he said their research shows people would rather watch Spanish and lower English leagues than Scottish football. Also said that Sky make quite specific demands about how games should be televised, what cameras have access to etc. and that Scotland is less accommodating than other countries - no idea what truth there is in that.)

stoneyburn hibs
21-04-2015, 01:27 PM
I'm going against the grain and saying that I'm quite happy with my Sky deal just now.

After stamping my feet I have managed to get a fixed one year deal of all the channels (excluding movies), broadband and telephone for £75 a month.

Sylar
21-04-2015, 01:51 PM
I called Sky today - with the increases my annual cost would have been up to £1,044, all they offered was a reduction of £7.50 a month (as I've got a £4.50 increase it would be £3 less than I'm currently paying). I said that increasing prices now was unreasonable, given zero inflation, the justification was that Sky have just paid £6bn for English football - I guess he didn't get my accent!

So have cancelled sports and movies - I'll still get BT Sport separately - and will be almost £40 a month better off. It'll drag me away from watching too much football and get me doing something better with my time.

(We also spoke about Scottish football - he said their research shows people would rather watch Spanish and lower English leagues than Scottish football. Also said that Sky make quite specific demands about how games should be televised, what cameras have access to etc. and that Scotland is less accommodating than other countries - no idea what truth there is in that.)

I can't say I'm at all surprised - it was always inevitable that costs were going to go up when they spent a ludicrous sum of money to enhance and sustain the lives of all the Prima Donna footballers in the Premiership who in turn demand ludicrous sums of money and declare themselves as 'tired' after a few games.

Sky and the Premiership are the personification of an unholy alliance and if you're a Sky customer who isn't interested in sport, it must suck to know the increase in your subscription will go toward Raheem Sterling's next Bentley (as an example, given his high-profile wage demands at present).

I don't have the time or inclination to sit down and watch much live TV anymore and services like Netflix, Flixanity or Amazon Prime are more than adequate alternatives with BBC iPlayer enabling me to catch up on some of the non-live programming on their platform that I might be interested in (also, not watching live gets rid of the BBC license fee to boot).

Hibee87
21-04-2015, 02:31 PM
I got a good deal with virgin through my work, as its a house builders I think they have some new tie in.

Any way, I get all channels except sports (BT Sports I do get), 2 boxes (one tivo, one hd+) and up to 158mb broadband. All this costs 69 quid a month.

However, like most, I don't watch even half the channels on it. I will browse and see whats on, maybe record a few things now and again. For sport, the internet is an easy place to find what you want.

I think the way the internet is going and with all these bmdc boxes or whatever they are called, sky, virgin, bt et all are on the decline. I wouldn't be surprised that in the next 5-10 years these boxes are going to be refined HD quality and take over the market. How legal they are? I dont know.

As someone said netflix and amazon prime are 2 very good ways to watch a lot of what you want. anything else google is your friend. I have watched a lot of boxsets online without paying a penny, HD cable from laptop to TV and bobs yer auntie.

Yes I guess its conveinient to have sky and all the sports etc at your fingertips, but a little bit of patience and know how and you can save a hellava lotta money from streaming :aok:

blackpoolhibs
21-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Zgemma, cloud ibox or Vu+ are all terrific alternatives to sky these days at a fraction of their exorbitant prices. :wink:

Hibernia&Alba
21-04-2015, 04:58 PM
We cancelled our Sky about 18 months ago now. At the time we left I think we were paying around £90 per month for TV and broadband, didn't have phone line with them. I was basically paying it to watch the football and use the internet, because I don't watch much TV at all. There were dozens of channels I'd never looked at in ten years. It just wasn't worth what I was getting from it. The huge new EPL right will obviously push up prices again, and haven't Sky lost the Champions League rights?

I must be honest though, my brother did set me up with a wee cheat ;-)

lord bunberry
22-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Zgemma, cloud ibox or Vu+ are all terrific alternatives to sky these days at a fraction of their exorbitant prices. :wink:
How do these things work? I notice the box comes loaded with the channels for 12 months, what happens after that has ended?

speedy_gonzales
22-04-2015, 01:21 PM
How do these things work? I notice the box comes loaded with the channels for 12 months, what happens after that has ended?
You go on Amazon (or wherever) and buy another 12month 'gift'??
I've been running droid box to get pay per views (boxing primarily) but thinking of upgrading to VU+,,,, anyone know if you get PPV's with those also?

Haymaker
22-04-2015, 04:46 PM
We cancelled our Sky about 18 months ago now. At the time we left I think we were paying around £90 per month for TV and broadband, didn't have phone line with them. I was basically paying it to watch the football and use the internet, because I don't watch much TV at all. There were dozens of channels I'd never looked at in ten years. It just wasn't worth what I was getting from it. The huge new EPL right will obviously push up prices again, and haven't Sky lost the Champions League rights?

I must be honest though, my brother did set me up with a wee cheat ;-)

Yes, lost all European football iirc.

Aldo
22-04-2015, 05:58 PM
I have Virgin XL package with Netflix.

My niece was kind enough to put me down for one of her options (not sure how many she gets- possibly 5) so I get sky go which is pretty much the full Sky package.

Couldn't believe it when she told me she had sorted that. Well pleased.

Godsahibby
23-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Do you gety Babestation on NetFlix?

HibbyAndy
23-04-2015, 05:22 PM

:tee hee:

HH81
23-04-2015, 08:13 PM
You can't put a price on a good time.

DH1875
23-04-2015, 08:43 PM

If you've got Netflix then you've got an internet connection. Who needs Babestation ;)

Killiehibbie
23-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Wouldn't encourage them.

Andy Bee
24-04-2015, 01:11 AM
You go on Amazon (or wherever) and buy another 12month 'gift'??
I've been running droid box to get pay per views (boxing primarily) but thinking of upgrading to VU+,,,, anyone know if you get PPV's with those also?

It's down to your line supplier. :wink:

Steve-O
24-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Just think that what you're actually paying is the grossly inflated wages of mediocre EPL footballers.

When Sky lost EPL rights over here I was quite raging, however now I don't watch it. I dont think I've watched a single live EPL game this season (through Internet or whatever). I don't miss it at all. Be free, live your lives without EPL!!

Pete
25-04-2015, 02:29 AM
I'm going to get rid of my TV altogether. It's a waste of space, time & money.
Never had Sky (or anything like it). All I do is think 'Rupert Murdoch' and my mind's made up.

I had no idea that these packages cost so much. Holy cow.

I have Netflix and a relative has a now TV entertainment package...so we both access each other's services. If there's a sky football game we are desperate to see (which isn't very often when I think about it) we just pay for a day or use a free pass from somewhere like a beer box.

If you have Internet and a tablet you surely have access to a lot of stuff anyway. It's only TV and perhaps it's become a habit when in reality it's a luxury that you don't really need.

I don't mean to offend anyone but figures like £100 a month are mental. You could have your mortgage paid off ten years earlier...or save for a deposit if you're renting!!!

Hibrandenburg
25-04-2015, 07:11 AM
I had no idea that these packages cost so much. Holy cow.

I have Netflix and a relative has a now TV entertainment package...so we both access each other's services. If there's a sky football game we are desperate to see (which isn't very often when I think about it) we just pay for a day or use a free pass from somewhere like a beer box.

If you have Internet and a tablet you surely have access to a lot of stuff anyway. It's only TV and perhaps it's become a habit when in reality it's a luxury that you don't really need.

I don't mean to offend anyone but figures like £100 a month are mental. You could have your mortgage paid off ten years earlier...or save for a deposit if you're renting!!!

:agree: Absolutely nuts.

Alternatively you could:

Buy a BMW
3 season tickets
A family holiday
Couple of gym memberships

Or this

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/251926534520?nav=SEARCH

Hannah_hfc
25-04-2015, 05:37 PM
The amount they charge the pubs a month is even more mental.

We've just got a basic sky package at home, luckily vodafone gave me sky sports 1+2 free with my phone contract which works out nicely!

Pretty Boy
25-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Virgin XL with netflix for me.

I got rid of Sky Sports last year as it just wasn't worth the extra I was paying. I kept Racing UK a bit longer but most bookies now offer a streaming service for races you have a bet on so that's taken care off, got rid.

I only watch about 5 or 6 channels and 3 of those are the old terrestrial channels (BBC 1 and 2 and Channel 4). The missus watches all sorts of ***** but if it was up to me I'd get rid of it altogether. I'd be happy with freeview and Netflix tbh.

Sylar
25-04-2015, 09:43 PM
I'm lucky in a sense - very close friend of mine works for Sky so gets the full thing for free and he gave me his login details voluntarily so I can watch the full Sky package on the XBox. We pay for a minimal BT Vision subscription (I think we actually pay for the internet/line rental and the basic TV package is free) and have both Amazon Prime/Netflix and all in, we probably pay around £30 a month + £16.40 for our Cineworld Black Unlimited passes.

The services like Netflix/Amazon et al are totally fine for me as I scarcely watch anything live anymore!

Sir David Gray
25-04-2015, 09:59 PM
I've still got my staff account with Sky, even although I left in January, so what should cost me over £120 per month, is costing me less than £40 per month!

Once Sky finally realise that I'm no longer working for them and my package goes up to full price, there's no danger that I'll be paying that. The movies will be coming off for a start and I would seriously need to look at what they can offer me on the rest of the package as I simply couldn't justify spending what would be a significant amount of my monthly salary on TV, broadband and phone.

DH1875
25-04-2015, 11:51 PM
The services like Netflix/Amazon et al are totally fine for me as I scarcely watch anything live anymore!

Now, now. We all know that isnt strictly true. Esp when it comes to watching a certain football team getting Donald Ducked every week :wink::greengrin. Course, doesnt mean you have to pay for it :thumbsup:.

Haymaker
26-04-2015, 02:37 AM
The amount they charge the pubs a month is even more mental.

We've just got a basic sky package at home, luckily vodafone gave me sky sports 1+2 free with my phone contract which works out nicely!

Yep, nearly £10,000 a year at the boozer I occasionally work in.

Haymaker
26-04-2015, 02:38 AM
Now, now. We all know that isnt strictly true. Esp when it comes to watching a certain football team getting Donald Ducked every week :wink::greengrin. Course, doesnt mean you have to pay for it :thumbsup:.

Watching the Jets get horsed is worth the SKY charge...

:greengrin

DH1875
26-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Watching the Jets get horsed is worth the SKY charge...

Watch us a lot do you :)

Galahibby
26-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Anyone got one of these thingies? A guy at work's just bought one and reckons it pretty much has everything you need on it. He's not into anything sporty though so hadn't looked for Sky Sports, BT, etc. For the price of about a month's Sky I'm tempted to try it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Droidplayer-Android-XBMC-Media-Player/dp/B00GNATBHE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1429107678&sr=1-1&keywords=droid+box+fully+loaded

Sylar
26-04-2015, 04:42 PM

I think the NFL is probably the only exception DH - in terms of TV series'/other sports, not at all. Even the baseball, I tend to watch 'as-live' the next day, having avoided the score.

When it comes to the team that gets Donald Ducked every week, I've no alternative but to find non-pay options as none of the available pay options in the UK cover Michigan very often.

DH1875
26-04-2015, 06:44 PM
I think the NFL is probably the only exception DH - in terms of TV series'/other sports, not at all. Even the baseball, I tend to watch 'as-live' the next day, having avoided the score.

When it comes to the team that gets Donald Ducked every week, I've no alternative but to find non-pay options as none of the available pay options in the UK cover Michigan very often.

How did you know that's who I was talking about in my earlier post :greengrin.

speedy_gonzales
26-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Anyone got one of these thingies? A guy at work's just bought one and reckons it pretty much has everything you need on it. He's not into anything sporty though so hadn't looked for Sky Sports, BT, etc. For the price of about a month's Sky I'm tempted to try it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Droidplayer-Android-XBMC-Media-Player/dp/B00GNATBHE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1429107678&sr=1-1&keywords=droid+box+fully+loaded

I've got something similar, Droidbox X7 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/electronics/dp/B00FLXEF9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430074412&sr=8-1&keywords=droidbox+x7) , had it for over a year now.
I bought it for the PPV boxing but it does so much more. Personally, I don't think it's 'great' for football or most live sports as the feed can be a bit jittery but there are that many links out there some could be pretty decent.
They're good for watching series such as Boardwalk/Game of Thrones as when you find the correct link the episodes are all there all ready to be streamed. Same goes for movies, search by genre/date/title including 3D movies.
You will need a fairly stable internet connection, they will happily sit wireless but I prefer to use mines wired,,,,,

Haymaker
26-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Watch us a lot do you :)

Best comedy show on TV mate :greengrin

Sylar
26-04-2015, 08:13 PM
How did you know that's who I was talking about in my earlier post :greengrin.

Well, you weren't going to gleefully say that about Hibs and as reigning Superbowl champions, it obviously wasn't going to be New England :greengrin

Haymaker
26-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Well, you weren't going to gleefully say that about Hibs and as reigning Superbowl champions, it obviously wasn't going to be New England :greengrin

Oh are we? Had forgotten that, I best go watch it for the 1,000th time. Cheers for the reminder :greengrin

Galahibby
26-04-2015, 09:34 PM
I've got something similar, Droidbox X7 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/electronics/dp/B00FLXEF9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430074412&sr=8-1&keywords=droidbox+x7) , had it for over a year now.
I bought it for the PPV boxing but it does so much more. Personally, I don't think it's 'great' for football or most live sports as the feed can be a bit jittery but there are that many links out there some could be pretty decent.
They're good for watching series such as Boardwalk/Game of Thrones as when you find the correct link the episodes are all there all ready to be streamed. Same goes for movies, search by genre/date/title including 3D movies.
You will need a fairly stable internet connection, they will happily sit wireless but I prefer to use mines wired,,,,,

Cheers :aok:

Andy Bee
27-04-2015, 01:35 AM

The Droid player relies on your BB connection being good so can be a bit hit and miss, VU+, Skybox/Openbox etc don't, they use the normal Sky dish for a picture so you get as good a quality as Sky including free to air HD channels without any stuttering/buffering.

patch1875
27-04-2015, 03:29 PM
Sorted a new deal today got 40% of the T.V. package and a further bit off the phone/broadband. Decided to ditch the sports as I hardly watch it now so my bills are now down to £60 from £95.

lord bunberry
27-04-2015, 05:58 PM
The Droid player relies on your BB connection being good so can be a bit hit and miss, VU+, Skybox/Openbox etc don't, they use the normal Sky dish for a picture so you get as good a quality as Sky including free to air HD channels without any stuttering/buffering.
Do the VU+ boxes need to be connected to the Internet? I noticed some boxes I was looking at said I needed an Ethernet cable, the problem I would have is my internet box is on the other side of the room from my TV. I noticed that you can buy an wifi receiver, but I'm not sure if that would work with all boxes.

blackpoolhibs
27-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Do the VU+ boxes need to be connected to the Internet? I noticed some boxes I was looking at said I needed an Ethernet cable, the problem I would have is my internet box is on the other side of the room from my TV. I noticed that you can buy an wifi receiver, but I'm not sure if that would work with all boxes.

Wifi works very well on the skybox f5s, but i upgraded to a Zgemma dual tuner a couple of months ago, sorry my mate upgraded to one of them a couple of months ago and its wired through an ethernet cable.

You can watch one side and record another, it does series link and has a great epg very similar to sky. :wink:

You will pay around £140-150 for that box and a years gift, my friends supplier gets £40 sent to him every year to keep the box going sent by paypal, he's currently around 4-5 years into his gift packages. :greengrin

I had a little read up on them on wifi, and apparently they do work on it.

Its exactly the same as wiring a normal sky box up, the only thing thats different is it needs to be connected to your router, that it.

lord bunberry
27-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Wifi works very well on the skybox f5s, but i upgraded to a Zgemma dual tuner a couple of months ago, sorry my mate upgraded to one of them a couple of months ago and its wired through an ethernet cable.

You can watch one side and record another, it does series link and has a great epg very similar to sky. :wink:

You will pay around £140-150 for that box and a years gift, my friends supplier gets £40 sent to him every year to keep the box going sent by paypal, he's currently around 4-5 years into his gift packages. :greengrin

Its exactly the same as wiring a normal sky box up, the only thing thats different is it needs to be connected to your router, that it.
Cheers mate. That's kind of what I was thinking it would be like, I was just a wee bit unsure of the wifi part. I'm going to order one this week and if it works ok I will cancel my virgin package.
Sorry I meant my mate is going to order one this week and cancel his Virgin package :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
27-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Cheers mate. That's kind of what I was thinking it would be like, I was just a wee bit unsure of the wifi part. I'm going to order one this week and if it works ok I will cancel my virgin package.
Sorry I meant my mate is going to order one this week and cancel his Virgin package :greengrin

Whichever one you buy from, they will always try and tell you they are glitch free. They do lie, every so often maybe a couple of times a night the picture will freeze for a couple of seconds. Its hardly warrants talking about really, but its about the only bad point my mate could say about them.:greengrin

patch1875
27-04-2015, 08:34 PM
So does it get all the channels like Atlantic and PPV?

blackpoolhibs
28-04-2015, 12:10 PM
So does it get all the channels like Atlantic and PPV?

Everything that sky throws out, plus setanta sports and setanta ireland. The mayweather fights free too.:greengrin

Matty_Jack04
28-04-2015, 05:18 PM
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2015/04/how-to-beat-sky-price-hikes

Galahibby
29-04-2015, 07:56 PM

Don't suppose you know which model your friend has, do you? :wink: The two I've found are the Star H1 and the S2. The descriptions might as well be written in Russian for all the sense they make to me though so just wondered if there was much to choose between them. And would a total technophibe be able to actually set the thing up? Cheers :aok:

Galahibby
29-04-2015, 07:57 PM
A technophobe who can't even spell it :wink:

blackpoolhibs
30-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Don't suppose you know which model your friend has, do you? :wink: The two I've found are the Star H1 and the S2. The descriptions might as well be written in Russian for all the sense they make to me though so just wondered if there was much to choose between them. And would a total technophibe be able to actually set the thing up? Cheers :aok:

He reliably informs me its the ZGEMMA-STAR 25.

Galahibby
30-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Tell him thanks very much :greengrin:

HibbyAndy
17-05-2015, 05:58 PM
My ex burd :greengrin Has told me to get a Maiz box for a one off payment off £130...She assures me you can watch fitba on a Saturday with games that kick off at 3pm! Along with a zillion other channels..No monthly subscriptions either So tomorrow i cancel sky sports...Sky movies...And multi room..And my bill goes from £105 a month to just under £50!!

I was always going to do this when they chucked that bill through my door charging me £4 extra a month i was just biding my time and weighing up my options.

See ya Sky and welcome Maiz box :bye::bye::bye:

Sir David Gray
17-05-2015, 06:30 PM
My ex burd :greengrin Has told me to get a Maiz box for a one off payment off £130...She assures me you can watch fitba on a Saturday with games that kick off at 3pm! Along with a zillion other channels..No monthly subscriptions either So tomorrow i cancel sky sports...Sky movies...And multi room..And my bill goes from £105 a month to just under £50!!

I was always going to do this when they chucked that bill through my door charging me £4 extra a month i was just biding my time and weighing up my options.

You'll get made an offer to keep your existing package.

There's no way that Sky will allow someone to more than halve their bill without a fight.

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2015, 06:37 AM

You dont need a Maiz box to get all those things, everything those boxes do can be done with your computer or laptop.

Also they are not stable and have lots of buffering and the sites you go on often disappear. Read this thread and you will know which is the best box to get. :wink:

Andy Bee
18-05-2015, 12:47 PM
That box just hooks into streams that are already on the internet, you'll get dead links, buffering and a poor quality picture.

HibbyAndy
23-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Andy cheers for coming last night and installing the box mate..It's defo gonna take me a week or so to get to grips with the tv guide and changing the channel over as i'm so used to using Sky's menu.

You can record mate but i can i get a 'series link' so it automatically records a certain programme each week ?

Happy enough with it mate, Sky sports, Bt all the movies etc..:aok:

Only thing it doesn't have is the box sets..Gonna phone Sky on Monday and cancel sky sports..Movies...Multiroom...HD...Should be fun :greengrin

FalkirkHibee one for you mate, I'm gonna take the most basic package i can get with Sky as i really don't need any the channels anymore BUT i would like to keep the box sets..What package does that come under ?

I still have Sky in my bedroom so will keep a basic package but the tv in my livingroom is now the new box Andy installed so i have nothing what so ever to do with Sky on that tv.

Sir David Gray
23-05-2015, 02:54 PM
Andy cheers for coming last night and installing the box mate..It's defo gonna take me a week or so to get to grips with the tv guide and changing the channel over as i'm so used to using Sky's menu.

You can record mate but i can i get a 'series link' so it automatically records a certain programme each week ?

Only thing it doesn't have is the box sets..Gonna phone Sky on Monday and cancel sky sports..Movies...Multiroom...HD...Should be fun :greengrin

FalkirkHibee one for you mate, I'm gonna take the most basic package i can get with Sky as i really don't need any the channels anymore BUT i would like to keep the box sets..What package does that come under ?

I still have Sky in my bedroom so will keep a basic package but the tv in my livingroom is now the new box Andy installed so i have nothing what so ever to do with Sky on that tv.

You want the Family package then.

That basically gives you every channel on Sky except for the sports and movies and also allows you access to the box sets.

HibbyAndy
23-05-2015, 03:13 PM
You want the Family package then.

That basically gives you every channel on Sky except for the sports and movies and also allows you access to the box sets.

Brilliant mate thanks for that :aok:

Andy Bee
23-05-2015, 11:01 PM

Series link is "Auto Timer", when you're in the EPG it's the blue button IIRC. (it's at the bottom of the EPG screen)

HibbyAndy
24-05-2015, 08:09 AM
Series link is "Auto Timer", when you're in the EPG it's the blue button IIRC. (it's at the bottom of the EPG screen)

Cheers Andy i think i can manage that :greengrin

HibbyAndy
25-05-2015, 09:57 AM
Well that's me phoned up Sky and cancelled everything bar Broadband and line rental..I get freeview so didn't even need to take a basic package :greengrin

I'm currently enjoying prison break and enjoy the box sets but found a stream online to watch them so don't need to even consider a package that had box sets. My old bill was £107.24 per month, My new bill is now £22.26 saving what £85 a month ? AND i still have movies, Sky sports EVEN bt sports which i didn't even have before :greengrin and many more channels than i had with Sky!!

So in summary i'm saving £85 a month and STILL have more channels than before.

:cb

And BTW The girl said with the package at £30 i would still keep all my rewards of which i had 12 but if i took the freeview at £22.26 i'd lose my rewards, I just said i'l take the £22.26 package and lose all my rewards.BUT being with Sky for years and years i never had ONE call ONE email telling me about these rewards.Shameful.

Danderhall Hibs
25-05-2015, 11:33 AM
And BTW The girl said with the package at £30 i would still keep all my rewards of which i had 12 but if i took the freeview at £22.26 i'd lose my rewards, I just said i'l take the £22.26 package and lose all my rewards.BUT being with Sky for years and years i never had ONE call ONE email telling me about these rewards.Shameful.

:agree: they only care about getting new customers on the books.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-06-2015, 04:35 PM
We are looking at leaving Sky and switching to Virgin or BT. Is BT's internet as fasr and good as virgins and are the TV packages decent?

liamh2202
10-06-2015, 07:50 AM
We are looking at leaving Sky and switching to Virgin or BT. Is BT's internet as fasr and good as virgins and are the TV packages decent?

Bt and sky use the same lines so will be the same speed , virgin is still a bit faster AFAIK ,

On a side not I left sky a few months ago when the y wouldn't extend my half price deal. They phoned yesterday and I now get 70℅ off and its on a rolling contract so can cancel without fee at and time. All the channels are costing under 30 quid a month

HibbyAndy
30-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Got a letter from Sky today saying my current sky talk account costing NOWT a month is being upgraded to evening & weekend calls costing £4 quid a month, They have basically done away with my free sky talk account so i can like it or lump it really.. I never EVER use my landline phone so charging me £4 a month for no using my phone is nae good.

Was gonna cancel and go to BT but with Sky i get free broadband where as i'm sure its about £10 a month with BT also i'm pretty certain when i downgraded my package months ago i'm under some kinda contract with the phone line rental :rolleyes:

Just a bit pish telling me i'm paying £4 more a month for a feature a dinnae even use :rolleyes:

Danderhall Hibs
30-10-2015, 01:22 PM
I've only just rejoined and had a £1 line rental increase already. Seems I've got to stick with the contract for 12 months but they can change it whenever they fancy.

hibeenicol
30-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Got a letter from Sky today saying my current sky talk account costing NOWT a month is being upgraded to evening & weekend calls costing £4 quid a month, They have basically done away with my free sky talk account so i can like it or lump it really.. I never EVER use my landline phone so charging me £4 a month for no using my phone is nae good.

Was gonna cancel and go to BT but with Sky i get free broadband where as i'm sure its about £10 a month with BT also i'm pretty certain when i downgraded my package months ago i'm under some kinda contract with the phone line rental :rolleyes:

Just a bit pish telling me i'm paying £4 more a month for a feature a dinnae even use :rolleyes:

You can downgrade to the new package sky pay as you talk which comes free with line rental.
With this package you pay for any calls you make.

HibbyAndy
30-10-2015, 04:50 PM
You can downgrade to the new package sky pay as you talk which comes free with line rental.
With this package you pay for any calls you make.

Yeah it said that on the letter but when i logged in to my Sky account the only options were evening & weekend calls....sky talk anytime extra or sky talk international so i phoned them up and was put through to an automated machine and managed the sky pay as you talk option so hopefully that's it sorted.

Dinnae get me wrong it's only £4 a month :greengrin But it's no the point 1) I don't use my landline ever so it's a waste of me paying for it and 2) To tell me in writing they were upgrading my package without consulting me is bang oot of order, I ken they are struggling in competition with BT but to not consult and take it upon themselves to change my package is wrong.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-10-2015, 05:55 PM
Yeah it said that on the letter but when i logged in to my Sky account the only options were evening & weekend calls....sky talk anytime extra or sky talk international so i phoned them up and was put through to an automated machine and managed the sky pay as you talk option so hopefully that's it sorted.

Dinnae get me wrong it's only £4 a month :greengrin But it's no the point 1) I don't use my landline ever so it's a waste of me paying for it and 2) To tell me in writing they were upgrading my package without consulting me is bang oot of order, I ken they are struggling in competition with BT but to not consult and take it upon themselves to change my package is wrong.

If someone wants to increase the size of my package without letting me know, go for it! :-)

Allant1981
30-10-2015, 05:58 PM
I just noticed im getting charged for sky talk as well, im sure i was getting it free for 24 months when i signed up last year

HibbyAndy
30-10-2015, 10:12 PM
If someone wants to increase the size of my package without letting me know, go for it! :-)

Sir David Gray
30-10-2015, 10:21 PM

They will be letting you know before they have physically started charging you.

That letter will be their way of doing that.