PDA

View Full Version : Fenlon

dunedinhibs
18-04-2015, 06:18 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pat-fenlon-desire-see-hibs-5538926?
I know he was a failure and set the team up to play slow boring football but I always liked him as a person. He seems like he really cared for the club but just didn't have what it took to turn things around. But im bloody glad hes not in the dugout today! Come on the hibees 2-0.
:flag::flag::flag:

Fergos
18-04-2015, 06:26 AM
PF is a good man and done his best, job was just that bit big for him, pity it turned out to be a lot more than that for butcher.....

I wish Pat all the best as I'm sure most of us do.

Onto today...c'mon the Cabbage!

GGTTH

weecounty hibby
18-04-2015, 06:36 AM
I liked him as a person. Good to see the effect this magnificent club has on people. We should never underestimate how special Hibernian is

Ozyhibby
18-04-2015, 06:39 AM
I don't think anybody disliked him but that style of football was horrible to watch.

Argylehibby
18-04-2015, 06:43 AM
If he had stayed at Hibs for 3 or 4 more games we wouldn't have been relegated. The points we would have picked up would have made the difference.

loanheadhibby
18-04-2015, 06:45 AM
I don't think anybody disliked him but that style of football was horrible to watch.

A good man and his style of football was not the best. However, fairs fair, we would not be in 1st division if he had remained manager.

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

lord bunberry
18-04-2015, 06:48 AM
I liked him as well. I liked the fact that he always seemed to be giving it everything during his time at the club.

JimBHibees
18-04-2015, 06:50 AM
I liked him as well. I liked the fact that he always seemed to be giving it everything during his time at the club.

He definitely cared that is for sure. Decent guy, wish him the best.

GreenArmyyy!
18-04-2015, 06:55 AM
Always Gave his best for the club and really wanted it to work out for him. Wasn't to be unfortunately.

CallumLaidlaw
18-04-2015, 07:03 AM
Nice article that. The one thing that could always be said about Pat was that he was an absolute gentleman.

Ozyhibby
18-04-2015, 07:07 AM
A good man and his style of football was not the best. However, fairs fair, we would not be in 1st division if he had remained manager.

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

Just because Butcher was a disaster does not make Pat the right man for the job.

Pretty Boy
18-04-2015, 07:09 AM
Just because Butcher was a disaster does not make Pat the right man for the job.

I don't think anyone is saying he was the 'right man'. However had he seen out the season we would likely still be in the Premier League. I'll admit there is an element of hypocrisy on my part there as I said it was time for him to go several times. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Canon Hannan
18-04-2015, 07:49 AM

A true gent. Hibs were too big for him.

Best wishes Pat.

cabbageandribs1875
18-04-2015, 07:52 AM
i'l always remember PF for his :giruy2: at the grunts

Andy74
18-04-2015, 07:56 AM
If you look at league position after each game under fenlon once we got that first relegation threatened season out the way we spent most of our time between 4th and 5th. Add in two cup finals. From where we were when he joined a failure he wasn't.

We may not have go to where we expected quickly enough but I think we are seeing now that it takes time. It could take us years to reach the level where he had us.

GlasgowHibee
18-04-2015, 08:17 AM
He would've kept us up last season.

col02
18-04-2015, 08:30 AM
I don't regard Pat Fenlon as a failure personally. Taking over from Calderwood seen him start from a very weak position imho. He then due to financial restraints had to rely on more than a few loan signings who often went from good form to poor more often than not. I have a lot of respect for Pat as he felt a change in manager would bring a freshness to the club, sadly the next incumbent was Butcher. Sometimes we talk as fans about the quality of player a new manager inherits. On that basis Fenlon improved the squad he inherited from Calderwood and had Pat taken over in a different time who knows how his team would have performed. A gentleman who's passion, integrity and honesty could never be questioned.

Hibrandenburg
18-04-2015, 08:35 AM
If you look at league position after each game under fenlon once we got that first relegation threatened season out the way we spent most of our time between 4th and 5th. Add in two cup finals. From where we were when he joined a failure he wasn't.

We may not have go to where we expected quickly enough but I think we are seeing now that it takes time. It could take us years to reach the level where he had us.

I agreed with you then Andy and I agree with you now. The football was dire to watch though, despite that PF showed more promise as a long term solution that most managers we've had the past decade. With Hibs budget any quick success will always be a flash in the pan.

Judas Iscariot
18-04-2015, 08:42 AM
I liked him and still like him as he seems a genuinely decent guy who tried his best at Hibs.

Should've been emptied after the Hearts final though

Bostonhibby
18-04-2015, 08:45 AM
I liked him and still like him as he seems a genuinely decent guy who tried his best at Hibs.

:agree: Met him a couple of times, decent guy and I never doubted his respect for the club, did his best at the time.

marinello59
18-04-2015, 08:46 AM
He would've kept us up last season.

What's the evidence for that?

marinello59
18-04-2015, 08:47 AM

I totally agree.

Dashing Bob S
18-04-2015, 08:58 AM
Most of us agreed it was time for Pat to go, most of us agreed Butcher was a great appointment. We were correct on the first, spectacularly wrong on the second. It happens. Problem is that for Petrie it happened too many times.

None of Petrie's appointments -bar Calderwood- had disaster written all over them. But after appointing a guy who obviously didn't want to be anywhere near there, he should never have been allowed to spin the managerial roulette wheel again.

Sorry if this thread has been hijacked but it's become impossible, in a Hibs context, to discuss a manager without reference to the person who appointed him.

yekimevol
18-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Will always have time for paddy; always seemed like a decent guy who really cared about the club just I pitty it never worked out.

But I agree that we would never have gotten relegated had he stayed, see out the season then bring in Alan :)

Dashing Bob S
18-04-2015, 09:00 AM

I'd have emptied him after Malmo. Sounds a bit pompous and dramatic, but he tarnished our European legacy.

Bostonhibby
18-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Most of us agreed it was time for Pat to go, most of us agreed Butcher was a great appointment. We were correct on the first, spectacularly wrong on the second. It happens. Problem is that for Petrie it happened too many times.

None of Petrie's appointments -bar Calderwood- had disaster written all over them. But after appointing a guy who obviously didn't want to be anywhere near there, he should never have been allowed to spin the managerial roulette wheel again.

Sorry if this thread has been hijacked but it's become impossible, in a Hibs context, to discuss a manager without reference to the person who appointed him.

:agree:

PeeJay
18-04-2015, 09:19 AM

I'm not a fan of Fenlon as a manager by any means, however, I thought that was a decent interview and it's nice to see that he wishes the club well and that he would want to be there to support it in a final. As many on here seem to be saying, he seems to be a decent guy.

I feel you are probably quite sincere about the things you claim in your post ... and I guess from down here in the Championship even working our way back to "Fenlon's level" could be seen as some sort of progress - :greengrin

Cropley10
18-04-2015, 09:42 AM

My memory really is going I could have sworn we were bottom 6 after the split when he was here.

Smartie
18-04-2015, 10:22 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pat-fenlon-desire-see-hibs-5538926?
I know he was a failure and set the team up to play slow boring football but I always liked him as a person. He seems like he really cared for the club but just didn't have what it took to turn things around. But im bloody glad hes not in the dugout today! Come on the hibees 2-0.
:flag::flag::flag:

I'd happily have a guy with his 100% record at winning Scottish Cup semi-finals in the dug-out today.

Not to manage the team though, more as a lucky mascot.

I thought he was horribly unlucky, inherited a shambles, made it a bit better by applying sticking plasters everywhere (which was all he would do) before being totally undermined during what was probably Petrie's worst ever transfer window. I mean, going into the Malmo game with the hopelessly inadequate squad etc etc….

FFS

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Absolute gentleman and wish him all the best.

Nutmegged
18-04-2015, 06:15 PM
What's the evidence for that?

I wasn't Fenlon's biggest fan but I also believe he would have kept us up although I'm sure we'd have still wanted him gone in the Summer

Fenlon in 74 League games for Hibs averaged 1.15 points per game in his two years at Hibs, in 2013-14 we were lying 7th when Fenlon left, we were averaging 1.36 points per game at that point, the rest of the season our average points per game dropped to 0.74 points per game - thats a hugendrop of 0.62 points per game

if Fenlon stayed for the rest of the Season and we kept up his average Points Per Game for 2013-14 then we would have finished with 17 more points than the 35 we ended up with, if we reverted to his career average with us then we would have finished with 46 points for the Season - 11 points ahead of what we did finish with

Oranje39
18-04-2015, 06:19 PM
I didn't think he should have went when he did. Would have kept him till the end of the season. I think he would have kept us up.

Stokesy's on fire
18-04-2015, 06:29 PM
I still love pat!!

Nutmegged
18-04-2015, 06:32 PM
I didn't think he should have went when he did. Would have kept him till the end of the season. I think he would have kept us up.

He would have definitely kept us up but I don't think going down was in our thinking at all, I think the majority of Hibs fans felt the club were underachieving at the time, the ambition from the fans and the board was to have a manager that could push us towards Europe not one to keep us in the Division, we had a manager that could keep us in the Division, we wanted more than that, unfortunately we went down the wrong path

IberianHibernian
18-04-2015, 07:17 PM
I was one of the few to defend him here and still think getting rid of him was a huge mistake especially in the middle of the season though it was never clear if he was pushed out or had come to some kind of agreement to move in November before agm and/or when a suitable replacement became available ( Butcher appointment seemed to be sealed very quickly ) . The money we paid in compensation to PF and ICT plus Butcher`s wages must have had a huge impact on our finances with disastrous consequences . Only doubt with PF was not having an established assistant or management team with him which left him with a lot to do for example in very short close season in 2013 . Terrible memories of 2012 final and Malmo but also great cup ones of beating Hearts , Aberdeen twice and win at Killie . Every reverse we had with PF was followed by a recovery . Lets hope it`s the same with AS after today .

Andy74
18-04-2015, 09:49 PM
My memory really is going I could have sworn we were bottom 6 after the split when he was here.

I'm talking about an average. We briefly dipped into bottom six bottom but we spent far more time in second, third place etc.

silverhibee
18-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Should have went with Fyfe & Lindsay's first choice.

givescotlandfreedom
19-04-2015, 12:45 AM
I've got a lot of time for Pat but I don't think he was capable of taking the club where it should be. Ultimately Butcher's appointment was a calamity but in the long run I'd rather have Stubbs at the helm than Pat.

jacomo
19-04-2015, 08:06 PM

Who was?

Pat seems a good man to me. Most of the supporters realised this and although I understand why he walked it wasn't a happy day for Hibs. Undoubtedly he'd have kept us up last season even though the club was not being run as it should have been during his tenure.

I wish him every success and certainly hope to celebrate at Hampden with him one of these years.

Hermit Crab
19-04-2015, 08:11 PM
I still love pat!!

You're at it!

Billy Whizz
19-04-2015, 09:01 PM

Silver, was it Michael O'Neill?

CockneyRebel
19-04-2015, 09:15 PM
He would have definitely kept us up but I don't think going down was in our thinking at all, I think the majority of Hibs fans felt the club were underachieving at the time, the ambition from the fans and the board was to have a manager that could push us towards Europe not one to keep us in the Division, we had a manager that could keep us in the Division, we wanted more than that, unfortunately we went down the wrong path

Although at the time most folk (including me) thought it was the right path (Butcher). Hindsight is a wondrous thing.

HoboHarry
19-04-2015, 09:19 PM
I've got a lot of time for Pat but I don't think he was capable of taking the club where it should be. Ultimately Butcher's appointment was a calamity but in the long run I'd rather have Stubbs at the helm than Pat.
Not sure how you can make that statement when it is very clear that he was not being backed up in the way that AS is now.....

IberianHibernian
19-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Although at the time most folk (including me) thought it was the right path (Butcher). Hindsight is a wondrous thing.Not sure where this "most" stuff comes from . I never wanted Butcher anywhere near Hibs and don`t know anyone who did . Voting of a few hundred people here or on other websites does not represent thousands of Hibernian fans in the world .

silverhibee
19-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Who was?

Pat seems a good man to me. Most of the supporters realised this and although I understand why he walked it wasn't a happy day for Hibs. Undoubtedly he'd have kept us up last season even though the club was not being run as it should have been during his tenure.

I wish him every success and certainly hope to celebrate at Hampden with him one of these years.

Michael O'Neill.

silverhibee
19-04-2015, 10:50 PM
Silver, was it Michael O'Neill?

Yeah Billy.

Nutmegged
20-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Although at the time most folk (including me) thought it was the right path (Butcher). Hindsight is a wondrous thing.

Yeah, I was never a big fan of Butcher to be honest, Inverness is a small place, he was a huge name in terms of British Football, he had the run of the place and the keys to the City, he was the lone Voice up there, moving to a big club in a Huge City with major Rivals was always going to be tricky although I still fancied him to improve us, I wasn't sure if we'd get the type of football that would have us flocking back in our droves, it was a disaster but just because we got that move wrong doesn't mean we weren't right to bin Fenlon although maybe not until the end of the Season.

Its a tough call though, if you're only in November but decide you want to change the manager in the Summer you're essentially writing off the majority of the Season which you'd still to play

givescotlandfreedom
20-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Not sure how you can make that statement when it is very clear that he was not being backed up in the way that AS is now.....

I think Pat lacked in a number of areas including tactics, instilling the right mentality and style of play and Stubbs is better equipped to lead us forward in my opinion. I alao like Stubbs' key focus on youth as the future too and how they are to be trained most effectively which is an area a coach at the club has told me all managers prior to Stubbs he has worked under weren't nearly as interested in. Particularly in players beneath the U20 level.