PDA

View Full Version : 2nd spot now in our own hands

Keith_M
11-03-2015, 09:56 AM
After the draw at Ibrox yesterday, Hibs no longer have to rely on any other side to claim second spot. If we win every remaining league game, no matter what anyone else does, we WILL finish second. *

It's a great position to be in

:thumbsup:

* If Rangers win any games in hand, they would be one point ahead. However, Hibs can negate that simply by beating them in the last game between us

Gatecrasher
11-03-2015, 09:59 AM
It is however we have quite a tough end to the season with some tricky games. Also with the distraction of the cup I'm not taking anything for granted.

Keith_M
11-03-2015, 10:03 AM
It is however we have quite a tough end to the season with some tricky games. Also with the distraction of the cup I'm not taking anything for granted.

Me neither, but it's a much better postion to be in than having to rely on results from anybody else.

:aok:

Peevemor
11-03-2015, 10:08 AM
After the draw at Ibrox yesterday, Hibs no longer have to rely on any other side to claim second spot. If we win every remaining game, no matter what anyone else does, we WILL finish second. *

* If Rangers win any games in hand, they would be one point ahead. However, Hibs can negate that simply by beating them in the last game between us

If we win every remaining game, we'll have the SC too. :greengrin

hibbysam
11-03-2015, 10:09 AM

Its no more tricky than rangers' run in.. Low on confidence with a management team that don't have a scooby and an ageing squad, playing hearts twice, hibs, QOTS and Falkirk all in the last 11 games!

nellio
11-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Even if they win their game in hand (against the Jamboids?) if we draw against them next Saturday then providing we win tonight we will still be ahead on goal difference so tonights game is crucial now.

Keith_M
11-03-2015, 10:17 AM
If we win every remaining game, we'll have the SC too. :greengrin

Never thought of that :greengrin

Gatecrasher
11-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Me neither, but it's a much better postion to be in than having to rely on results from anybody else.

:aok:
Yeah I agree 100% I'm just a cautious person when hibs are involved :greengrin

hibbysam
11-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Even if they win their game in hand (against the Jamboids?) if we draw against them next Saturday then providing we win tonight we will still be ahead on goal difference so tonights game is crucial now.

They have two games in hand over us after tonight, hearts and Alloa I think it is.

nellio
11-03-2015, 10:48 AM
They have two games in hand over us after tonight, hearts and Alloa I think it is.

Aye you're right but if we win tonight we will be 5 points ahead so even if they win both their games in hand we will only need to draw with them at home to remain ahead on goal difference. Not sure quite when their games in hand are mind.

Edit - Forgot to includ the point they would get for a draw so they would be a point ahed. Lets hope we beat them then or they slip up against Hearts with their game in hand or ideally both.

JimBHibees
11-03-2015, 10:51 AM
I think given our cup run and the schedule of games we may have at the end of the season how important second place is in terms of not playing an additional two highly competitive games around that time. Quite simply our next three games are huge in that regard.

Alex Trager
11-03-2015, 11:00 AM
As the OP said we need to win all our games from here til the end.

Frankly, there's no reason why we can't.

We have looked the better side against all teams we have played this season in one game or another.

It has just been lapses in concentration/bad choices that have seen us draw with the likes of Falkirk and hearts.

Everyone else we have beaten.

It is a matter of one game at a time.
Personally I don't know how I would manage that as I know for a fact I would be looking at the table etc if I was a player.
But that is down to them and their coaches to make sure they are focussed and professional.

I personally fear we will drop points. But that's due to following Hibs for too many years.

Thing is we haven't played well at all recently, IMO, but we have been getting points.

It's frustrating at times but then it's not cause we are picking up the points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leithenhibby
11-03-2015, 11:06 AM
So important to keep a full squad fit and free from injury. We can have a cracking end to a season that started so poorly. GGTTH

Bristolhibby
11-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Farid coming back will be like a new signing.

J

Onion
11-03-2015, 11:59 AM
So important to keep a full squad fit and free from injury. We can have a cracking end to a season that started so poorly. GGTTH

Amazing how injuries tend to be brushed off when a team is on a winning run, so fingers crossed.

11-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Tonight's game is huge - to get 3 points after the Huns yet again dropping more last night would give us a big boost and would really put The Rangers under pressure.

Danderhall Hibs
11-03-2015, 12:10 PM
It was already in our own hands. Last nights result just starts to give us room for error.

Ozyhibby
11-03-2015, 12:12 PM
It was already in our own hands. Last nights result just starts to give us room for error.

:agree: It was in our own hands yesterday

Andy74
11-03-2015, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure it is strictly in your own hands when the other team you are up against also has it in their own hands.

If Rangers win all their games they would get second as well.

Golden Bear
11-03-2015, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure it is strictly in your own hands when the other team you are up against also has it in their own hands.

:agree:

Absolutely correct. On paper, the rangers still hold the advantage.

PeeJay
11-03-2015, 12:55 PM

How so - it is in our own hands to win all the games including the one against them, and by doing so it is then "out of their hands ... surely?

Golden Bear
11-03-2015, 12:57 PM
How so - it is in our own hands to win all the games including the one against them, and by doing so it is then "out of their hands ... surely?

However if our fixture against the gers ends up as a draw, then all other things being equal, they will claim second spot.

Danderhall Hibs
11-03-2015, 12:58 PM

Using that logic it's currently in noone's hands then?

We need to put this thread on hold until we play them before calling out that it's in our/their hands.

Andy74
11-03-2015, 12:59 PM

Same for them, so the phrase isn't really applicable.

If a season came down to a last game decider for example you wouldn't suggest it was in your own hands - you need to play that game against each other and the other team can influence that as much as you can.

PeeJay
11-03-2015, 01:02 PM
Same for them, so the phrase isn't really applicable.

If a season came down to a last game decider for example you wouldn't suggest it was in your own hands - you need to play that game against each other and the other team can influence that as much as you can.

Well- It's an interesting take on the issue - but I don't see it that way myself ... IMO it's in our hands: that's what's really worrying :greengrin

Speedy
11-03-2015, 01:03 PM

If either team wins all their games then that team will finish 2nd.

Tonight is massive. 5 points ahead is a significant gap even with 2 games in hand.

Speedy
11-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Well- It's an interesting take on the issue - but I don't see it that way myself ... IMO it's in our hands: that's what's really worrying :greengrin

Agree. It's in our hands. And from their perspective it's still in theirs.

Andy74
11-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Agree. It's in our hands. And from their perspective it's still in theirs.

Which means it's not really in ours as they can still influence it.

It's a technicality but the phrase really came about for situations where the other team can't do anyhting abut it if you go and beat all the other teams.

Bristolhibby
11-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Using that logic it's currently in noone's hands then?

We need to put this thread on hold until we play them before calling out that it's in our/their hands.

Or until they drop more points.

J

3pm
11-03-2015, 01:36 PM

It's a technicality but the phrase really came about for situations where the other team can't do anyhting abut it if you go and beat all the other teams.

Were you there were you?! :greengrin

Ozyhibby
11-03-2015, 01:47 PM
If we win all our games we will finish 2nd. It is in our hands as we are not relying on anyone else beating Rangers.
It was true yesterday and it's still true today.

It is also still in Rangers hands (for now).
It can be both.

Bad Martini
11-03-2015, 01:50 PM
A few folk splitting baw hairs here :greengrin

Do we need to rely on anyone else to do it for us?
OR CAN WE (US) do what we need to do to win it ourselves?

I think you will find the answer is WE can win all our games (which of course includes beating the huns). Do we need someone else to do it all for us? NO.

Then it IS in our hands.

Ithangyou.

ENDOF <<< And it really is, if we dont beat them unless they get even more, monumentally crapper << Does that word even exist in this grammatical context? <<< Do I give a **** <<< If we beat them again, can we keep them? Would we want to <<< No :thumbsup:

Stranraer
11-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Absolutely agree, Sevco aren't getting any better, shame about the Yams being so far ahead but I think we'll beat them before the end of the season.

DH1875
11-03-2015, 02:02 PM
I do worry about the last league games though. Falkirk away will be tough as they will still be in the mix. The rangers are at the yams who will probably have shut up shop by then.

StevieC
11-03-2015, 02:15 PM
After the draw at Ibrox yesterday, Hibs no longer have to rely on any other side to claim second spot. If we win every remaining league game, no matter what anyone else does, we WILL finish second.

All we need to do is win our last 6 games. :wink:

Since90+2
11-03-2015, 02:21 PM
Hearts seem to have fallen out with their big cousins after they took abit of a doing off the pitch at Ibrox a few weeks back. I am sure they will want to beat them last day of the season at Tynecastle.

silverhibee
11-03-2015, 02:39 PM
One game at a time, starting with tonight's game at Livi, a must 3 points for us.

Keith_M
11-03-2015, 03:13 PM

Exactly! if Hibs beat all the other teams... which includes Rangers, second spot is ours.

You go do your hairdressing elsewhere and leave the thinking to us :wink:

11-03-2015, 03:39 PM
One game at a time, starting with tonight's game at Livi, a must 3 points for us.

This. We need to keep focused on ourselves and keep winning.

ChicagoHibee
11-03-2015, 04:02 PM
And to think..........some people believed Hibs would be in a regulation battle this year.

After the draw at Ibrox yesterday, Hibs no longer have to rely on any other side to claim second spot. If we win every remaining league game, no matter what anyone else does, we WILL finish second. *

PatHead
11-03-2015, 04:06 PM

This though it is at Easter Road. Be disaster if we go to the wrong stadium. :greengrin

Seriously we don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

Smartie
11-03-2015, 04:25 PM
One game at a time.

We could do with slamming the door in their faces. Huge result last night as a win and a decent performance might have given their returning fans wee boost and give them a lift.

Them dropping points last night and us getting 3 points tonight would be a huge psychological blow to land. They would be 5 points behind and the form they are in the extra games in hand have nothing like the same value as points on the board.

We are in decent form but need to remain focussed. We need to keep up the consistency and beat them in our "head to head" in a couple of weeks.

We have tough games to play, there are some tricky places to go yet but the sooner we are over the line the better. And the way we've played over the past few months - even if we have dropped the odd silly point - we have nothing to fear from anyone (including "them") in this league.

Keith_M
12-03-2015, 09:12 AM
Quote from today's Scotsman (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/hibernian-2-1-livingston-hibs-late-winner-1-3716643)....

"Now five points clear of third-placed Rangers, the goal keeps Hibs’ fate in their own hands."

worcesterhibby
12-03-2015, 11:03 AM
Quote from today's Scotsman (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/hibernian-2-1-livingston-hibs-late-winner-1-3716643)....

"Now five points clear of third-placed Rangers, the goal keeps Hibs’ fate in their own hands."

I agree that it's in our own hands…but trying to suggest that "because it's in the Scotsman" it's true is hilarious. Usually full of utter nonsense.

Turkish Green
12-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Beating Sevco at ER is a must. However, if Sevco come away from ER with any result then our destiny is out of our own hands.

The good thing is that Sevco are poor and will remain poor even with McCall in charge. They have still to play us, Hearts (x2), QOTS, Falkirk and Raith among their remaining 11 games - hardly going to come away with a 100% success rate.

But, I can see the yams wrapping up the title BEFORE they play their 2 games against Sevco and as such taking their foot of the peddle. Although by the same token they should be champions before the derby.

All we can ask off Stubbs and the players is to keep on doing what they are doing.

Onion
12-03-2015, 11:15 AM
Beating Sevco at ER is a must. However, if Sevco come away from ER with any result then our destiny is out of our own hands.

The good thing is that Sevco are poor and will remain poor even with McCall in charge. They have still to play us, Hearts (x2), QOTS, Falkirk and Raith among their remaining 11 games - hardly going to come away with a 100% success rate.

But, I can see the yams wrapping up the title BEFORE they play their 2 games against Sevco and as such taking their foot of the peddle. Although by the same token they should be champions before the derby.

All we can ask off Stubbs and the players is to keep on doing what they are doing.

The Sevco game at ER is huge for them. Lose it and they're not just in real danger of losing 2nd place, QOS and Falkirk will smell blood :greengrin

dangermouse
12-03-2015, 11:27 AM

As do we with the exception of Hearts twice. 9 games left to go against the 9 other teams in the division and that counts for everyone.

mutley
12-03-2015, 12:05 PM
As much as I'd like to see the yams crash and burn, I doubt they will drop many points from now to the end, so they will have the league wrapped up pretty soon. However I can see the Huns dropping more points, so as long as we can keep getting results, we should be nailed on for 2nd

seanshow
12-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Come the end of the season we will be 8 points clear of sevco, keep the faith. :wink:

Speedy
12-03-2015, 12:13 PM

By that logic it'll never be in our hands because the opposition in each game have an opportunity to influence the game.

Argylehibby
12-03-2015, 12:24 PM

using your rather unusual take on the phrase it's not in your own hands until it's won! Every club we and Rangers have to play, whether they have a chance of finishing second or not have the chance to influence who comes second. It is possible, and it is the situation now, where two teams have it in their own hands to win second place by winning every game. They don't have to rely on anyone else taking points of the other because they have the opportunity to do that themselves. When we play them, whoever wins will still have it in their own hands to be 2nd whereas the loser will have to rely on somenoe else doing them a favour and beating the team that won.

Onion
12-03-2015, 12:31 PM
As much as I'd like to see the yams crash and burn, I doubt they will drop many points from now to the end, so they will have the league wrapped up pretty soon. However I can see the Huns dropping more points, so as long as we can keep getting results, we should be nailed on for 2nd

As long as they drop points against us, and take a few off the Huns, I don't care. Agree the Huns are a poor side and it will take more than a change of manager to turn that lot around. Other teams no longer fear them or respect them. They're a team of old, washed out codgers, mercenaries and young loanees who really don't want to be there. They are as far removed from what's happening at ER as can be. The only resemblance they have to the team formally known as Glasgow Rangers is the ground and sectarian bile that washes down from the stands. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to beat that lot to promotion, except maybe a little Cup win :wink:

Keith_M
12-03-2015, 12:51 PM
I agree that it's in our own hands…but trying to suggest that "because it's in the Scotsman" it's true is hilarious. Usually full of utter nonsense.

Where did I say that it must be true because it was in the Scotsman? It's amazing what some folk read into other people's posts.

:rolleyes:

If you're interested, I actually just thought it was funny that they used the exact same phrase.

Andy74
12-03-2015, 12:52 PM
using your rather unusual take on the phrase it's not in your own hands until it's won! Every club we and Rangers have to play, whether they have a chance of finishing second or not have the chance to influence who comes second. It is possible, and it is the situation now, where two teams have it in their own hands to win second place by winning every game. They don't have to rely on anyone else taking points of the other because they have the opportunity to do that themselves. When we play them, whoever wins will still have it in their own hands to be 2nd whereas the loser will have to rely on somenoe else doing them a favour and beating the team that won.

Not really.

In your own hands means the other team you are up against, the other team that can go for the thing you are trying to claim, can't influence it any more.

In this case they can, if they beat us.

When we get a gap that Rangers can't influence by winning then that's when it's in our own hands.