PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Strachan's Hibs Memories

spurshibby
05-03-2015, 05:55 PM
nice to hear the real stachan, no that twat on tv http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/tv/freeview

J-C
05-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Cracking wee piece there ta for that, nice to hear he still has a deep love for the club, and a wee tear in his eye at one point talking about the old days. :greengrin

Leithenhibby
05-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Cracking wee piece there ta for that, nice to hear he still has a deep love for the club, and a wee tear in his eye at one point talking about the old days. :greengrin

I enjoyed that, also. Had to laugh when he used, Muirhouse and the Brazilian favelas in the same sentence, brilliant :greengrin

Jonnyboy
05-03-2015, 07:50 PM
Knows a player when he sees one and what a player Pat Stanton was :agree:

superfurryhibby
05-03-2015, 09:59 PM
Respect to Strachan . What a player and a good football man.

Criswell
05-03-2015, 10:28 PM
I am sure I read somewhere that hibs wanted to sign him but the deal on offer wasn't acceptable to him so he walked. Something like that I think.

danhibees1875
05-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Interesting interview. :thumbsup:

He also done a convincing job in making me feel sorry for his busy life having to watch loads of football up and down the country as a job. Poor guy. :greengrin

worcesterhibby
05-03-2015, 11:05 PM
Enjoyed that..wonder what he was at ER for..since he is so busy ? I doubt he travelled just to make that wee video..what was he really there for ? Chatting to Scott Allan ?

ekhibee
06-03-2015, 01:49 AM
I am sure I read somewhere that hibs wanted to sign him but the deal on offer wasn't acceptable to him so he walked. Something like that I think.
I watched a video about his career years ago where he talked about that. His dad and Eddie Turnbull fell out over boot money, that's why Gordon never signed for Hibs. He did train with them up till then. He also talked about how he used to get lifted over the turnstiles when he was a bairn at ER, I'm sure many older people will remember the same thing!

Iain G
06-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Enjoyed that..wonder what he was at ER for..since he is so busy ? I doubt he travelled just to make that wee video..what was he really there for ? Chatting to Scott Allan ?

Maybe Malonga has a Scottish Granny? ;-)

heretoday
06-03-2015, 07:49 AM
I thought it was because he was too small. That was often a reason for not signing boys in those days.

southsider
06-03-2015, 12:46 PM
When Gordon was Celtic manager a pic was shown in their match day programme v Hibs of a young Gordon sitting on the wall of the old North enclosure watching the great Pat Stanton. My younger brother is sitting next to him but they did not know each other. The pic appeared in one of Gordon's books. Would love to get a copy of that pic if anyone could put it up on here.

California-Hibs
06-03-2015, 05:10 PM
I love the guy, not even just because of his affiliation with Hibs, just feel he's a really good genuine guy and has done particularly well with the National team.

Great to hear he still has strong feels for Hibs! I've said it for years, I'd be ecstatic if he was to ever become Hibs manager! However, Alan's doings a pretty fine job at that right now so Gordon can happy way down the line.

--------
06-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Surprised he can remember anything about ER the way he hit the wall at Gordon Rae's testimonial ....

Trust Joe to banjo the one Hi-bee in the United team. :rolleyes:

whiskyhibby
06-03-2015, 07:01 PM
I watched a video about his career years ago where he talked about that. His dad and Eddie Turnbull fell out over boot money, that's why Gordon never signed for Hibs. He did train with them up till then. He also talked about how he used to get lifted over the turnstiles when he was a bairn at ER, I'm sure many older people will remember the same thing!

Yep ,remember it well getting lifted across the turnstile in the main stand north entrance by my dad in the Turnballs tornadoes are, also getting in on the East stand with my Grandad ( Grandparents lived in Albion road) when the matches had about 20 minutes remaining and the gates were opened. Great memories [emoji4]

ekhibee
07-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Yep ,remember it well getting lifted across the turnstile in the main stand north entrance by my dad in the Turnballs tornadoes are, also getting in on the East stand with my Grandad ( Grandparents lived in Albion road) when the matches had about 20 minutes remaining and the gates were opened. Great memories [emoji4]
My older sister got lifted over by my dad in the sixties, then later in the game got kicked out for arguing with a policeman! She's still a great Hibs fan though, always will be.

KeithTheHibby
07-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Always liked Strachan as a player and a manager. He did come over as a bit of a cock when managing the lesser greens however the same happened to Mowbray.
Must be something in the water through at Parkhead.

Norrieg
07-03-2015, 04:07 PM
Good interview and memories and pity he wasn't a bit older to witness Willie Hamilton taking the piss out of the GREAT Jim Baxter in the sixties.

NOLA
07-03-2015, 04:30 PM
theres a surprise :wink:

erin go bragh
07-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Surprised he can remember anything about ER the way he hit the wall at Gordon Rae's testimonial ....

Trust Joe to banjo the one Hi-bee in the United team. :rolleyes:

Strachan had an article in that program, saying how he wanted to one day play for Hibs and asking our players to take it easy on him . dont think Joe played another game for us after that tackle . great wee interview . thanks for that op .

hibbybrian
07-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Strachan had an article in that program, saying how he wanted to one day play for Hibs and asking our players to take it easy on him . dont think Joe played another game for us after that tackle . great wee interview . thanks for that op .

That game was in 1988 and Joe turned out for Hibs until 1996 :wink: