PDA

View Full Version : Catching Rangers

bandylegs_jLeighton
24-01-2015, 05:25 PM
Looking at the fixture list as it stands at the moment, Rangers do not have a league game next week (is this likely to change?), meaning if we manage to pick up 3 points against Raith Rovers we would move into 2nd in the league (albeit they would have 3 games in hand).

It would be great to put some pressure on them as I think they are there for the taking. Especially since our following league game is at Ibrox, and our performances against them have been really good this season.

If we are to challenge for second, next week is massive.

easty
24-01-2015, 05:28 PM
We just need to win games. Dinnae worry bout who is above or below us, just beat whoever we are playing against. We're capable, we've just no been doing it well enough up to now.

Bristolhibby
24-01-2015, 05:35 PM
Points on the board are worth more than games in hand IMHO.

J

Onceinawhile
24-01-2015, 05:35 PM
Looking at the fixture list as it stands at the moment, Rangers do not have a league game next week (is this likely to change?), meaning if we manage to pick up 3 points against Raith Rovers we would move into 2nd in the league (albeit they would have 3 games in hand).

It would be great to put some pressure on them as I think they are there for the taking. Especially since our following league game is at Ibrox, and our performances against them have been really good this season.

If we are to challenge for second, next week is massive.

They don't have a league game as they have the cup semi vs celtic. I don't think we will get second as even though we can beat rangers two more times, I still see us dropping more points outwith those two games than them.

Pete
24-01-2015, 05:37 PM
We just need to win games. Dinnae worry bout who is above or below us, just beat whoever we are playing against. We're capable, we've just no been doing it well enough up to now.

It's all about momentum and winning games is all we can do. If we go from now until the end of the season unbeaten and still finish third we can't complain.

Pretty Boy
24-01-2015, 05:38 PM
Keep winning and see what happens.

Both Hearts and Rangers will drop more points, it's up to us to make sure we take advantage when they do.

Sir David Gray
24-01-2015, 09:11 PM
If we win our next two league games, we'll be 2nd and four points clear of Sevco.

I realise they'll have 3 games in hand over us but psychologically going into 2nd place in a few weeks time would be massive.

CallumLaidlaw
24-01-2015, 09:19 PM
They don't have a league game as they have the cup semi vs celtic. I don't think we will get second as even though we can beat rangers two more times, I still see us dropping more points outwith those two games than them.

You think Rangers will win all their remaining games like?
They are only gonna get weaker before the end of January, they've just lost ANOTHER manager, and they are shot of confidence. I'm more confident than ever that we'll get 2nd

AFKA5814_Hibs
24-01-2015, 09:19 PM
I really hope we can win next weekend to crank up the pressure on them. The Rangers will also have a wee fixture backlog coming up. After next weekend they'll have three extra fixtures to fit in, they're game v Alloa on the weekend of 4th April will also have to be rearranged as Alloa are in the Petrofac Final.

Sir David Gray
24-01-2015, 09:27 PM
You think Rangers will win all their remaining games like?
They are only gonna get weaker before the end of January, they've just lost ANOTHER manager, and they are shot of confidence. I'm more confident than ever that we'll get 2nd

:agree: Sevco are still the obvious favourites for second spot but we are the form team in the league at the moment and Sevco are quite frankly a shambles on and off the pitch.

They also have no prospect of strengthening their squad over the next week. I'm very confident that we can get second, especially if we can keep our main players healthy and free of suspension for the majority of the season.

And we've still got Gray, El Alagui, Malonga and Djedje to come back in.

Col2
24-01-2015, 09:34 PM
We WILL finish above Sevco. I am almost certain of that. We still have players to come back and they have a manager who wants to take a break.

Would be interesting if the yams imploded.

Colr
24-01-2015, 09:37 PM
We can beat Rangers and so can Hearts but too many of the others fear them and capitulate.

ekhibee
24-01-2015, 09:38 PM
:agree: Sevco are still the obvious favourites for second spot but we are the form team in the league at the moment and Sevco are quite frankly a shambles on and off the pitch.

They also have no prospect of strengthening their squad over the next week. I'm very confident that we can get second, especially if we can keep our main players healthy and free of suspension for the majority of the season.

And we've still got Gray, El Alagui, Malonga and Djedje to come back in.
Yep, totally agree. At the start of the season I thought Rangers would win the championship in a canter, but I couldn't have been more wrong. There's always the chance that they'll develop a siege mentality from somewhere, but I haven't seen it yet, and we've been beating them comfortably. Finishing second would be great considering how we started off the season, and considering we have 2 or 3 players to come back and possibly one or two more signings, there's no reason why we can't.

Dashing Bob S
24-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Would fancy us to win more points than both Hearts and Rangers between now and end of season. Would like second place, but it's more important that we go into the play-offs on a rich seam of form and injury free.

Liberal Hibby
24-01-2015, 09:56 PM
There has to be a fair chance too that The Rangers will get a 25 point deduction.

bighairyfaeleith
24-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Would fancy us to win more points than both Hearts and Rangers between now and end of season. Would like second place, but it's more important that we go into the play-offs on a rich seam of form and injury free.

exactly, we can't win the league so just need to concentrate on keeping the form good and then we should get promoted through play offs

Deansy
24-01-2015, 10:07 PM
OK we're the better team\club than 'Satan's 11'but the game at theirs will be the teller, I feel. Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest that the GFA will have Craig Thompson lined up for that - in fact, from now until the end of the season, it's almost certain that there will be some mega-controversial decisions ALL in their favour, of course.

portycabbage
24-01-2015, 10:27 PM

I think our recent form overall (ie including the 4-0 game) is slightly better than theirs. They've got 13 points from the last 8 league games they've played; we've got 17 from our last 8. We've also had 1 defeat in our last 16, while they've had 3 in their last 8.

The main stat is the league table of course, but over the last 10 games played the table would look like this (I think!)-

2) Hibs 21pts
3) Falkirk 20pts
4) The Rangers 19pts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-championship/table

Badge
24-01-2015, 10:30 PM

Why? I really don't understand how you can say that

H18Y GW
24-01-2015, 10:51 PM
I think were a Knockin bet for 2nd and i fancy us against any of the teams..:cb

theonlywayisup
24-01-2015, 11:05 PM
I think our recent form overall (ie including the 4-0 game) is slightly better than theirs. They've got 13 points from the last 8 league games they've played; we've got 17 from our last 8. We've also had 1 defeat in our last 16, while they've had 3 in their last 8.

The main stat is the league table of course, but over the last 10 games played the table would look like this (I think!)-

2) Hibs 21pts
3) Falkirk 20pts
4) The Rangers 19pts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-championship/table

Despite how well we have played in those 10 games, the Yams have picked up 25 pts in their last 10 games. Would love to see them blow it, but can't see it.

Nutmegged
24-01-2015, 11:21 PM
Theres a greater need to be more consistent in games we should be winning, most notably against the bottom half of the league, we've absolutely destroyed Sevco twice yet the next game is still a must win game for us which is telling, I think we can catch them but I'm not naive enough to think it'll be easy, consistency is key, we'll need more than a purple patch to prove that

bighairyfaeleith
24-01-2015, 11:24 PM
We need to beat the teams we face in the playoffs, thats when it will matter most for us

CallumLaidlaw
25-01-2015, 12:55 AM
Theres a greater need to be more consistent in games we should be winning, most notably against the bottom half of the league, we've absolutely destroyed Sevco twice yet the next game is still a must win game for us which is telling, I think we can catch them but I'm not naive enough to think it'll be easy, consistency is key, we'll need more than a purple patch to prove that

Funnily enough, I don't think it is against teams from the bottom half we need to worry about, it's been the teams around us. Before today, we'd dropped 20pts in 8 games against Hearts, QOS and Falkirk. Pick up more points in those games, and the league looks SO different. Hopefully today is what we can expect more of in our last 14 games.

10 wins, 3 draws and a defeat in our remaining games would give us 72 points.

That would leave Rangers needing 32 points in 16 games. They've averaged more than that so far this season, but their recent form says they could easily drop below the 2 points a game average needed in the remaining games.

bingo70
25-01-2015, 07:26 AM
I think in a play off situation rangers would be a different beast compared to what we've faced from them so far this season.

Imo our best chance of promotion is the rangers catching hearts and us beating them in the play offs.

lucky
25-01-2015, 08:58 AM
I think in a play off situation rangers would be a different beast compared to what we've faced from them so far this season.

Imo our best chance of promotion is the rangers catching hearts and us beating them in the play offs.

A full house at Ibrox with a dodgey ref with the SPLF, SFA and TV companies all desperate for them back in the top league will make that fixture extremely difficult to win

Onion
25-01-2015, 09:28 AM

Normally would agree with that, but The Rangers are total shambles. There's no saying what state they will be in at the end of the season. No money, reluctant manager, boycotting fans, infighting. How will they react if the Yams stretch ahead and/or secure the league ? IMO Yams and Hibs will get there.

Cropley10
25-01-2015, 09:43 AM
A full house at Ibrox with a dodgey ref with the SPLF, SFA and TV companies all desperate for them back in the top league will make that fixture extremely difficult to win

/\ This.

Bobby Maddden is already scheduled to take that game, with John Beaton as 4th official. In fact, I think Bobby Madden will just be reffing all of Rangers games from now on...

Ronniekirk
25-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Normally would agree with that, but The Rangers are total shambles. There's no saying what state they will be in at the end of the season. No money, reluctant manager, boycotting fans, infighting. How will they react if the Yams stretch ahead and/or secure the league ? IMO Yams and Hibs will get there.
That's the current situation and therefore there is now a chance we could but we need a full squad injury free with goalkeeping and right back cover .
The fact Mcdowells situation has been leaded though indicates to me that as soon as they get new investment especially if it's 10 million (Ashley ) they will change the manager minimum ,if they don't manage to bring in any new players would that change in itself be enough to re galvanise the squad they have and keep them second we won't know till that happens .
Still no sign of a date for hearts game being rescheduled The conspirators theorists will have a field day if these all ended up getting played when New Manager in post .
If they don't change manager now they could also do it later in season in preparation for playoffs .

I really don't see them settling for another season in Championship unless they really are Donald a Ducked Financially ,and we know something has to be done in next week or so to allow wages to be paid ,so let's see what happens

It's all gone too quiet on the Reporting front so the next announcement could be significant one way or the other.