PDA

View Full Version : Blogs

sambajustice
05-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Anyone here got any experience of setting up/writing blogs?

I want to start my own one and just looking for tips on who to use etc and peoples experiences. I dont really want one of the free ones as you end up with a long impossible name to remember and probably irritating adverts. Similarly, I dont want to be paying money for something overly complicated any crap!

Any info would be greatly received!

:aok:

Stranraer
06-01-2015, 09:52 PM
Blogger or WordPress are the best 2. As long as you tag your posts effectively, you should get quite a good few views! Good luck.

Sergey
06-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Anyone here got any experience of setting up/writing blogs?

I want to start my own one and just looking for tips on who to use etc and peoples experiences. I dont really want one of the free ones as you end up with a long impossible name to remember and probably irritating adverts. Similarly, I dont want to be paying money for something overly complicated any crap!

Any info would be greatly received!

:aok:

Wordpress is good for me - but look for a decent layout that suits you before you download.

As Morrisey said, learn to use tags - but also learn Google Webmaster Tools and how to submit sitemaps to Google. You should also index each page with Google so Googlebot can find the pages. If you don't index the pages then Google won't find them.

You should also download some useful Wordpress plug-ins that will assist.

You'll also need to register a www.domain which will be a nominal cost.

Getting high on SEO isn't easy, but with some effort it can be achieved with some initial groundwork.

sambajustice
08-01-2015, 10:34 PM
hey folks, just checked back on this thread after a couple of days! Thanks for the replies.

I got wordpress and i've bought a domain.

Now its just a case of going over youtube videos using them as a guide to build it. There's a lot to it but seems not too bad to get it up and running.

Tags, sitemaps, indexes, googlebot... all things i know nothing about at the minute! :greengrin

Stranraer
10-01-2015, 12:44 PM
hey folks, just checked back on this thread after a couple of days! Thanks for the replies.

I got wordpress and i've bought a domain.

Now its just a case of going over youtube videos using them as a guide to build it. There's a lot to it but seems not too bad to get it up and running.

Tags, sitemaps, indexes, googlebot... all things i know nothing about at the minute! :greengrin

Glad to hear it, was it £12 for the domain if you don't mind me asking? WordPress have some really good themes as well that will draw readers in.

sambajustice
10-01-2015, 07:56 PM
Glad to hear it, was it £12 for the domain if you don't mind me asking? WordPress have some really good themes as well that will draw readers in.

Hi mate,

yeah, £12 for the domain. I also just got the free basic WP package but if I get right into this I might look into upgrading that, cant remember how much off the top of my head what it is, there's 2 of them.

Anyway, going ok just now, slowly coming together!

Sergey
11-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Blogger or WordPress are the best 2. As long as you tag your posts effectively, you should get quite a good few views! Good luck.

Morrissey - I've just replied to Samba via PM but I'd like to point you to 'Multiple Tags' version 3.1 for Wordpress. This is a cracking tagging tool and is a piece of piss to use.

See: https://wordpress.org/plugins/multiple-tags/

It allows you 10 separate folders with unlimited tags in each folder...and it's FREE :aok:

Stranraer
11-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Morrissey - I've just replied to Samba via PM but I'd like to point you to 'Multiple Tags' version 3.1 for Wordpress. This is a cracking tagging tool and is a piece of piss to use.

See: https://wordpress.org/plugins/multiple-tags/

It allows you 10 separate folders with unlimited tags in each folder...and it's FREE :aok:

Thanks for that! Haven't been blogging as much until yesterday so I'll give that a crack, thanks again.

sambajustice
12-01-2015, 09:55 AM
I think i've made an erchie of it as I seem to have signed up to wordpress.com instead of wordpress.org...

Any thoughts?

NYHibby
14-01-2015, 08:43 PM
I buy my .co.uk domains through Hover. They are $9.99 and you can always find a promo code for your first order.

Stranraer
14-01-2015, 10:00 PM
I think i've made an erchie of it as I seem to have signed up to wordpress.com instead of wordpress.org...

Any thoughts?

Is wordpress.org something you download. Try going to WordPress.com and using the same login details or create an account with them.

matty_f
19-01-2015, 11:40 PM
I've been using Blogger, very easy to use and find. I think I'm probably missing a trick on it though as I'm not sure how best to generate traffic to it.

Sergey
19-01-2015, 11:51 PM
I've been using Blogger, very easy to use and find. I think I'm probably missing a trick on it though as I'm not sure how best to generate traffic to it.

Have you registered a sitemap with Google?

I'm not sure how the arse end of blogger works, but you have to index pages with Google and vice versa.

Register with Google Webmaster Tools and copy the code into the admin panel of blogger and go from there.

If you type in Japanese visitors to London in Google - I'm #3 :greengrin

matty_f
20-01-2015, 01:02 AM
Have you registered a sitemap with Google?

I'm not sure how the arse end of blogger works, but you have to index pages with Google and vice versa.

Register with Google Webmaster Tools and copy the code into the admin panel of blogger and go from there.

If you type in Japanese visitors to London in Google - I'm #3 :greengrin

What should a site map look like?

Sergey
24-01-2015, 11:14 AM
What should a site map look like?

Sorry for delay, Matty - been offline for a few days.

This link might help: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/create-blogger-sitemap/

With Wordpress (my sites operating system) I simply type /robots.txt after the homepage and that brings up the sitemap. The address finishes .co.uk/sitemap.xml.gz

You then want to register the sitemap with both Google and Bing. The search engines will then crawl your site and index pages (not instantly but over a few months).

As a habit - I register a new sitemap every couple of weeks even although Google and Bing re-crawl your site automatically.

If you're not registered with Google Webmaster Tools and or Google Analytics - make sure you enter the correct website address. Sounds silly, but make sure you are www. or not www. as the site address.

Hope that makes sense.