PDA

View Full Version : Tipping Hairdressers

Holmesdale Hibs
01-01-2015, 11:24 AM
I personally don't tip hairdressers and didn't think it was the done thing until I saw someone else doing it yesterday. Am I being unintentionally tight, or is it unusual to tip a hairdresser?

I get my haircut in a regular barber shop, nothing fancy. Interested in hearing people's thoughts on this.

H18sry
01-01-2015, 11:38 AM
I tip my hairdresser as l feel it is part of the service industry, along with taxi drivers and food delivery people, also tip my postie at Christmas.

patch1875
01-01-2015, 12:47 PM
I go to a great barbers in Edinburgh always tip as I get the same guy all the time,it's expensive but you get well looked after with coffees and booze and good banter.

Just Alf
01-01-2015, 12:55 PM
I've always given a tip at the barbers.... As a kid when I was allowed to go myself my mum even gave me a wee bit extra to tip the barber.

Ps just asked the other half and she tips the hairdresser as well.

*someone* is maybe just tight! :na na:

:wink:

easty
01-01-2015, 01:07 PM
I got a free bottle of beer to drink while he did his work when I went in last week. He's a good lad, good hairdresser, and I get some good chat. I always tip.

Scouse Hibee
01-01-2015, 04:54 PM
I personally don't tip hairdressers and didn't think it was the done thing until I saw someone else doing it yesterday. Am I being unintentionally tight, or is it unusual to tip a hairdresser?

I get my haircut in a regular barber shop, nothing fancy. Interested in hearing people's thoughts on this.

Really you have to ask? Always been the done thing my whole life.

MSK
01-01-2015, 05:15 PM
My oldest Daughter is a stylist at a shop in Marchmont (Babu) ..has been qualified for the past couple of years ..at that she doesn't earn a great wage & is thankful for any tips she receives ..she admits she could leave & earn a better living, but she just loves her job, she loves the interaction with customers & takes great pride & satisfaction in her work ..she doesn't expect tips but is always grateful for any she does get ..:agree:

Occasionally she requires models for styling so next time someone is looking for a hair spruce up free of charge I will post on here ..

Ps ..mind tip her handsomely...:greengrin

Pretty Boy
01-01-2015, 06:27 PM
I just get a number 1 all over. Cost £8, I always give a tenner and don't take change. Don't really think of it as a tip but I suppose it is

MSK
01-01-2015, 07:03 PM
I just get a number 1 all over. Cost £8, I always give a tenner and don't take change. Don't really think of it as a tip but I suppose it is:agree: ..don't **** wi the baldys ..

Ps ..I do my own as to avoid having to give my Daughter a tip ..:agree:

PercyHibs
01-01-2015, 07:03 PM
I don't understand the whole tipping barbers thing. If they're not getting a good wage someone else is making good money as it's not cheap nowadays.

Scouse Hibee
01-01-2015, 07:28 PM
We still tip the bar staff in my local in Liverpool,just say take your own when you hand over the cash and they take 20p, been like that for years, well nearly it was 10p about twenty years ago.

MSK
01-01-2015, 07:28 PM
I don't understand the whole tipping barbers thing. If they're not getting a good wage someone else is making good money as it's not cheap nowadays.Aye ..the person who owns the shop/chairs ...

sleeping giant
01-01-2015, 09:53 PM
:agree: ..don't **** wi the baldys ..

:agree:
My clippers are aulder than my bairns :greengrin:

sleeping giant
01-01-2015, 09:56 PM
I don't even tip the pizza guy anymore as I order and pay for it online.

johnbc70
02-01-2015, 08:37 AM

Especially when your paying £18 for a pizza these days!

lord bunberry
02-01-2015, 09:41 AM
:agree: ..don't **** wi the baldys ..

I do my own as well, but I always give myself a tip.

Dinkydoo
02-01-2015, 09:45 AM
I only tip my hairdresser because she's cheaper than anywhere else and does a better job than most in the town.

MSK
02-01-2015, 09:51 AM
I do my own as well, but I always give myself a tip.I never tip myself, I just cant afford to nowadays ..

The_Exile
02-01-2015, 10:06 AM
I shave my own head, and always give myself a biscuit after the job is done! Wee tip never hurt anyone.

lord bunberry
02-01-2015, 02:46 PM
I never tip myself, I just cant afford to nowadays ..

I know what you mean mate, I've had to half what I used to give myself

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Taxi drivers always get a tip from me unless I have to navigate for them.

Andy Bee
02-01-2015, 10:33 PM
I don't understand the whole tipping barbers thing. If they're not getting a good wage someone else is making good money as it's not cheap nowadays.

8 quid is around the average taking roughly 15 minutes per client, that's £32 an hour at full tilt with rent,rates, tax, wages, gas, electric, insurance, advertising, equipment and product etc, just tip the barber ya stingy bassa. :greengrin

FWIW barbers/hairdressers are taxed on the understanding they receive tips unless they state they don't accept them.

lord bunberry
03-01-2015, 06:55 AM

I knew there was something I liked about you :greengrin

Hermit Crab
03-01-2015, 07:36 AM
I always tip my barber. £8 for a cut and I give him a tenner everytime. I also tipped the sky engineer a ten spot yesterday as he came out at short notice on the 2nd and was working outside in horrendous weather.

DH1875
03-01-2015, 10:55 AM

Or they think they can take you the tourist route cause they think your from out of town :grr:

Hibby Bairn
03-01-2015, 02:01 PM
FWIW barbers/hairdressers are taxed on the understanding they receive tips unless they state they don't accept them.

Are they?

Just Alf
03-01-2015, 02:18 PM
Are they?

Yup, my better half used to do hairdressing and it was always a fight each year to get the "tips" element reduced :-/

Hibby Bairn
03-01-2015, 02:43 PM
I knew tips were taxed in the US bit didn't realise here also.

Pretty Boy
03-01-2015, 02:54 PM

Yep.

Standard procedure. I worked in hospitality for a few years and 'officially' all gratutities had to go into a central pot and were distributed in pay quarterly after being subject to PAYE.

Generally most departments just kept a hold of them amd split them as and when people wanted them but the accounts department used to get really nippy about that.

CropleyWasGod
03-01-2015, 03:27 PM
Definitely. It's deemed as a recognition of one's ability, and as such taxable.

As PB says, employees are taxed on what is often known as a Tronc system, although that's normally for the catering industries. Self employed should declare their tips in the same way as any other income.

DH1875
03-01-2015, 06:23 PM
So if we've learned anything it is that we should all stop tipping because it goes to the bloody tax man.

CropleyWasGod
03-01-2015, 06:24 PM
So if we've learned anything it is that we should all stop tipping because it goes to the bloody tax man.

No it doesn't. :na na:

stoneyburn hibs
03-01-2015, 08:23 PM
I go to this wee Turkish guy in Whitburn, and for half an hour I am in complete man love. Attention to detail on my hair/head is superb and all for £8. Give him a tenner but if he charged a tenner it would be most likely that is what he would get. Tight git I am :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
04-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Barbers, taxi drivers,barstaff, waiting staff, food delivery drivers, concierge, and occasionally engineers who have done work in the house are on my tipping list.

Frazerbob
06-01-2015, 07:37 AM
I wonder if these barbers who hand out beers are licensed for the supply of alcohol? Just a thought. :duck:

easty
06-01-2015, 07:55 AM
I wonder if these barbers who hand out beers are licensed for the supply of alcohol? Just a thought. :duck:

I thought the same as I posted it, which is why I didnt mention the name.

Peevemor
06-01-2015, 09:06 AM

I thought the same as I posted it, which is why I didnt mention the name.

You only need a licence to sell alcohol. If they were advertising "free beer with every haircut", then that'd be a different story.

snooky
06-01-2015, 10:19 AM

Wow, where do you get a haircut online?
:wink:

Scouse Hibee
06-01-2015, 05:11 PM
You only need a licence to sell alcohol. If they were advertising "free beer with every haircut", then that'd be a different story.

Serving complimentary alcohol without a licence is not permitted.

easty
06-01-2015, 06:22 PM

They weren't selling or offering free beer with a haircut. They'd had their work Xmas night the weekend before and had beers left. So he offered me one seeing as I'm such a pleasant chap.

He was cutting Paul Hanlons hair right before mines, Hanlon didn't have a beer.

Pretty Boy
06-01-2015, 06:23 PM
They weren't selling or offering free beer with a haircut. They'd had their work Xmas night the weekend before and had beers left. So he offered me one seeing as I'm such a pleasant chap.

He was cutting Paul Hanlons hair right before mines, Hanlon didn't have a beer.

What the hell is this club coming too? A player refusing a beer?

I remember the days when clubs on George Street relied on a Hibs night out to turn a profit. This professionalism will becer last.

Frazerbob
07-01-2015, 06:53 AM

Incorrect. A license is required for the SUPPLY of alcohol. Wether or not you charge is imaterial. In the same way that it is illegal to have a lock in if you are not charging for the bevvy.

patch1875
07-01-2015, 05:37 PM
My barber always offers an alcohol option, maybe they have a license as they always have a promotion usually with a small new brewer/distiller.

heretoday
08-01-2015, 11:58 PM
I don't like when the barber swishes your face with that black brush thing. It feels greasy like the guy before you's face. The guy with the nasty rash.

PercyHibs
09-01-2015, 03:16 PM
8 quid is around the average taking roughly 15 minutes per client, that's £32 an hour at full tilt with rent,rates, tax, wages, gas, electric, insurance, advertising, equipment and product etc, just tip the barber ya stingy bassa. :greengrin

Probably roughly the same as a tradesman would cost. With arguably less overheads. How many tradesman are tipped? (Que everyone coming on saying they tip they're plummer etc haha) I know I'm being stingy. I just think getting ur hair cut is expensive as it is with chucking an extra few quid on. fwiw I pay £17 to get my hair cut 😊

I think one problem here is tipping is such a grey area. For example when in America everyone knows tipping is a must whereas other places (Australia ) your not Expected to tip. We're somewhere in the middle.

Speedy
09-01-2015, 06:02 PM

If it's £8 or £9 I'll normally round it up to a tenner unless I needed the change straight away.

If it's £10 (which I think the place I tend to use is now) I wouldn't bother.

Hibrandenburg
11-01-2015, 09:41 AM
If the service is good I'll tip, if not I won't.

.Sean.
11-01-2015, 10:53 AM
I tip mine.
Maybe something to do with the fact she's a wee honey :greengrin

johnbc70
11-01-2015, 06:43 PM
I was all ready to tip when my 2 kids got their hair cut yesterday - until they said that will be £27 please.

Scouse Hibee
12-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Haircut today was a tenner but gave the guy £11 pretty much the norm for me.

patch1875
13-01-2015, 11:49 AM
Mines is £35 :-)

Aldo
14-01-2015, 09:04 AM

Is that what it costs these days for perms at the back..... Ala footballers of the 80's.

;-)

patch1875
14-01-2015, 11:52 AM
Is that what it costs these days for perms at the back..... Ala footballers of the 80's.

;-)

Never seen Charlie Nicholas in yet :-(

yeah its expensive but you get well looked after, the staff are great fun and if you go for a shave you come out feeling great.

good place to escape for a while

www.ruffians.co.uk

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-01-2015, 11:56 AM

Its not much more than that for me per year these days!

Geo_1875
14-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Haircut today was a tenner but gave the guy £11 pretty much the norm for me.

£11 note?

Scouse Hibee
14-01-2015, 12:17 PM
£11 note?

Yeah ideal for tipping was a great idea to bring them out.

HH81
14-01-2015, 05:02 PM
Never seen Charlie Nicholas in yet :-(

yeah its expensive but you get well looked after, the staff are great fun and if you go for a shave you come out feeling great.

good place to escape for a while

www.ruffians.co.uk

Shave looks good but over priced. Would be good for a one off as you can't beat someone giving you a good shave.

Thanks to one if the members I am well into old style shaving these days, its so much better. 3 or 5 blade shaves are a never again!

patch1875
14-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Shave looks good but over priced. Would be good for a one off as you can't beat someone giving you a good shave.

Thanks to one if the members I am well into old style shaving these days, its so much better. 3 or 5 blade shaves are a never again!

I get a shave as a treat a few times a year, got a blade for Xmas to have a go myself.

The ruffians one is immense though you come our feeling spaced after it as it's so relaxing.

It's a bit cheaper if you get it with a haircut.

HH81
14-01-2015, 05:55 PM
I get a shave as a treat a few times a year, got a blade for Xmas to have a go myself.

The ruffians one is immense though you come our feeling spaced after it as it's so relaxing.

It's a bit cheaper if you get it with a haircut.

What do they charge for just the shave? When I am up I might call in as a one off.

patch1875
14-01-2015, 06:00 PM
What do they charge for just the shave? When I am up I might call in as a one off.

£35 takes about 45 mins.

HH81
14-01-2015, 07:08 PM
£35 takes about 45 mins.

I paid 8 quid for my last shave at a shop near Halifax. That was quite good.

patch1875
14-01-2015, 07:46 PM
I paid 8 quid for my last shave at a shop near Halifax. That was quite good.

Yeah I've has a few decent cheap shaves.

Your paying for the longer process good products and up town premises.

Not everyone's cup of tea at the price but it's one of my few luxuries!

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Its not much more than that for me per year these days!

Can't cost that much for a bit of Mr Sheen and a duster? :wink:

Colr
14-01-2015, 10:32 PM
I pay £35 and that's enough so no tip. Mrs Colr pays much more and tips, though.