PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Xmas present...

Mikey09
12-12-2014, 12:41 PM
As it says. What's the best present you have ever received or even given?. And for a laugh what's the worst?? I'll start the ball rolling. Christmas is a million times better when you're a kid and in the early 80's I got a BMX Raleigh Burner.... My folks had convinced me that I just wasn't getting it but there it was.... All shiny, yellow and red with that new bike smell!! All the lads in the street got them and we spent many a holiday burning the streets up... I would go back to those days in a heartbeat.

The worst was always books!! Had to look grateful and excited, but what kid wants books for Christmas??! Anyway.... Thoughts?

Scouse Hibee
12-12-2014, 05:45 PM
As it says. What's the best present you have ever received or even given?. And for a laugh what's the worst?? I'll start the ball rolling. Christmas is a million times better when you're a kid and in the early 80's I got a BMX Raleigh Burner.... My folks had convinced me that I just wasn't getting it but there it was.... All shiny, yellow and red with that new bike smell!! All the lads in the street got them and we spent many a holiday burning the streets up... I would go back to those days in a heartbeat.

The worst was always books!! Had to look grateful and excited, but what kid wants books for Christmas??! Anyway.... Thoughts?

I was desperate for a 6x3 snooker table but was told no way as it was too expensive. Opened everything on Christmas Day and was thrilled with presents I recieved and hid my disappointment of no snooker table. Was then handed small parcel containing small box with a piece of...........snooker chalk. Table was next door with neighbour happy days indeed :-)

Pretty Boy
12-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Best for me was probably a Man Utd goalkeeper top with Schmeichel on the back when I was about 7 or 8. The one pictured in the arcticle below:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/peter-schmeichel-on-joe-hart-6103708

I always got the Hibs strips in August so had to pick something different for Christmas. Schmeichel was my first, and only, non Hibs football hero at the time. He had an aura of invincibility about him at that time and I'd just decided I wanted to be a keeper. For weeks my Dad had told me he couldn't get the top, it was sold out, would I take a Liverpool one (his English team) instead. Christmas morning and it was there. Was genuinely delighted and it started an obsession with goalkeeper tops and gloves that continues to this day.

Ants
12-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Christmas in the 70's/80's were the dogs bollocks.
Every kid was out by 9am playing with and showing off their new toys.
A Raleigh Purple Chopper, Meccano and Action Men (some with eagle eyes!!).
My mum also got me a "harmless" chemistry set, which gave me a new interest in this subject, so off to the library and then to the chemist....
Bought some new chemicals :halowitch: BOOM!

Also, loved the Milanda Christmas parties up at Bankhead.

Mikey09
12-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Best for me was probably a Man Utd goalkeeper top with Schmeichel on the back when I was about 7 or 8. The one pictured in the arcticle below:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/peter-schmeichel-on-joe-hart-6103708

I always got the Hibs strips in August so had to pick something different for Christmas. Schmeichel was my first, and only, non Hibs football hero at the time. He had an aura of invincibility about him at that time and I'd just decided I wanted to be a keeper. For weeks my Dad had told me he couldn't get the top, it was sold out, would I take a Liverpool one (his English team) instead. Christmas morning and it was there. Was genuinely delighted and it started an obsession with goalkeeper tops and gloves that continues to this day.

Jesus Pretty Boy.... Did you blind the strikers wi that top?!?! To be fair Schmeichel was the best in the business at the time. You will know better than me but a lot of keepers use his technique now. That way of spreading themselves in a star shape to make themselves as big as possible. I know Craig Gordon does that to great effect...

over the line
12-12-2014, 11:54 PM
Best was either Stretch Armstrong, when I was about 7 yrs old, or the skiing holiday to Andorra my wife surprised me with three years ago (I'm spoilt I know).

Worst was a gift set of red braces and a red bow tie, off my posh cousin when I was about 19! I was a windscreen fitter from Ellesmere Port, who lived in shell suits and footy tops, when the f*** did she think I'd wear them!!!

TRC
13-12-2014, 02:02 AM
The best and worst was the year my parents split up and I got two christmases. SNES and roller blades it was 1992. Still have snes still play it to. roller blades, that had no brake on them so I mullered my self every day for about a week until I got the hang of them. Worst presents book tokens or something that needed batteries but none to be found in the house

Notahappyhibee
13-12-2014, 07:48 AM
A brotherhood of man album. I'd never heard of them until it was given it by my grandma in the 70's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peevemor
13-12-2014, 08:21 AM
A brotherhood of man album. I'd never heard of them until it was given it by my grandma in the 70's

So? Best or Worst? :greengrin

easty
13-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Best was probably my Bauer fx3 roller blades, loved them and was on them all the time.

Worst, probably a history of edinburgh book from my granddads brother...when I was about 11 years old. He always brought me and my brothers a selection box and a book that was never age appropriate. Good guy though, just a bit clueless.

Special mention has to go to the secret Santa present I got the first year I lived in Leeds. A Swiss army knife type thing and compass set. It was almost like someone was saying "now you know what way north is, get out, and watch your back". I never found out who it was from.

Allant1981
13-12-2014, 09:25 AM
Best was my commodore 64, wanted it for ages. The fun i had with that thing!! My worst was probably a kettle. What a rubbish present. I had to smile though as my aunt thought i needed one

sleeping giant
16-12-2014, 08:35 PM
My best was a scaletrix like set called Race and Chase . It had a ramp and aw hungs :greengrin closely followed by my disco roller skates.

Worst was a tape recorder. Bog standard tape recorder . Nae radio or nowt just a flaming big standard , hold play and record , effin tape recorder.

over the line
17-12-2014, 12:09 AM
My best was a scaletrix like set called Race and Chase . It had a ramp and aw hungs :greengrin closely followed by my disco roller skates.

Worst was a tape recorder. Bog standard tape recorder . Nae radio or nowt just a flaming big standard , hold play and record , effin tape recorder.

I had a TCR (Total Control Racing), with the Jam car. You could change lanes and overtake. It was great while it worked, but seem to remember is broke after a few months.

Peevemor
17-12-2014, 12:25 AM
I can't think of any single best present, though I can still remember getting my first bike, train set and subbuteo set so they must be up there!

Worst is a toss up between a Roy Chubby Brown video and the Grease CD (about 5-6 years ago - :wtf:).

Mikey09
17-12-2014, 10:37 AM

:faf:
Thats a belter!! I'm a child of the 70's so had one of those... Used to tape the charts on it!!! Peter Kay sketch about that is very funny!! Along with lyrics he sung to songs that were completely wrong but sounded similar!!! Dunno how to post a link but I'm sure you can find it on you tube...

Geo_1875
17-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Best was a radio cassette player around 1970.

Worst was the annual hand-knitted jumper from my step-gran. Itchy as **** and always ripped your ears off cause the neck was too tight.

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2014, 05:47 PM
[/B]

:faf:
Thats a belter!! I'm a child of the 70's so had one of those... Used to tape the charts on it!!! Peter Kay sketch about that is very funny!! Along with lyrics he sung to songs that were completely wrong but sounded similar!!! Dunno how to post a link but I'm sure you can find it on you tube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yn-2YuWMUo :greengrin

Dan Sarf
17-12-2014, 06:19 PM

You were lucky. When I was ten, I got a pair of brown leather gauntlets. Gauntlets? Brown leather gauntlets? :confused:

Notahappyhibee
19-12-2014, 12:59 AM
So? Best or Worst? :greengrin

Worst

HH81
19-12-2014, 09:46 AM
I just received my secret santa gift and it contained a voucher for fish, chips and mushy peas.

over the line
19-12-2014, 10:48 AM
I just received my secret santa gift and it contained a voucher for fish, chips and mushy peas.

Got to be happy at that! (Altough I might ask if I could have curry sauce instead of peas).

It's better than Toy Story alien bubble bath and reindeer socks, which is my contribution to our secret Santa. I wish I'd thought to get a voucher for the chippy!

HH81
19-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Got to be happy at that! (Altough I might ask if I could have curry sauce instead of peas).

It's better than Toy Story alien bubble bath and reindeer socks, which is my contribution to our secret Santa. I wish I'd thought to get a voucher for the chippy!

I thought it was a class idea and will be having it one day next week.

derekHFC
19-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Five lucky dips for the lottery is what I got.

I bought the person I got, a hip flask and sweets.

Pretty Boy
19-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Five lucky dips for the lottery is what I got.

I bought the person I got, a hip flask and sweets.

I got a chocolate reindeer and a Hibs mug. I was delighted.

Hermit Crab
22-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Best was probably my Bauer fx3 roller blades, loved them and was on them all the time.

Worst, probably a history of edinburgh book from my granddads brother...when I was about 11 years old. He always brought me and my brothers a selection box and a book that was never age appropriate. Good guy though, just a bit clueless.

Special mention has to go to the secret Santa present I got the first year I lived in Leeds. A Swiss army knife type thing and compass set. It was almost like someone was saying "now you know what way north is, get out, and watch your back". I never found out who it was from.

I mind i got FX 4's. Was delighted as they were £99 in john Lewis back in 97/98.

sleeping giant
22-12-2014, 08:00 PM
You were lucky. When I was ten, I got a pair of brown leather gauntlets. Gauntlets? Brown leather gauntlets? :confused:

:greengrin

Brilliant. Did you wear them all day :faf: