PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Strasbourg.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2014, 07:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niptlVsVBEw&feature=youtu.be

Found this on youtube, not seen it since being at the game. Ho unlucky were we? :rolleyes:

Hibbyradge
28-11-2014, 07:46 PM
I cried that day.

hibbymick
28-11-2014, 07:51 PM
I was in the posh seats for that game :wink:

Glory Lurker
28-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Good spot, BH.

Crazy to think how we were able to turn out a performance like that (I think Strasbourg went on to win the French league that season?), when we were on the downward slide.

I would be interested to know if there's a non-scottish team that we've more of a player connection with - Mixu, Zitelli and some bloke called Sauzee all played at Starsbourg at some point in their careers.

Just checked up on Strasbourg nowadays. Fifth tier of the pyramid. Those French don't mess with clubs that go bust! :cb

c31
28-11-2014, 08:09 PM
The away game was a great trip, St. Giles branch ran the bus McKendry's Coaches I think and it got there and back just... I vaguely remember we rented one room for about 20 of us.

Bostonhibby
28-11-2014, 08:12 PM
The away game was a great trip, St. Giles branch ran the bus McKendry's Coaches I think and it got there and back just... I vaguely remember we rented one room for about 20 of us.

2 of us went by train(s) first away adventure in Europe - took forever both ways.

bringbackbenny
28-11-2014, 08:58 PM
Remember that game vividly, that and the earlier game against Norkopping are the first games I remember going to. Lifted over the turnstiles and sitting on a barrier in the old terrace :)

Great find!

jodjam
28-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Remember that game vividly, that and the earlier game against Norkopping are the first games I remember going to. Lifted over the turnstiles and sitting on a barrier in the old terrace :)

Great find!

My first two home euro games also. Great nights

Broken Gnome
28-11-2014, 09:04 PM
How did we qualify for Europe in that season?

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Was my first trip away in Europe with Hibs, went with my dad and we flew. Have no real memory of the game at all, and had completely forgotten just how many chances we missed at home.

Hiber-nation
28-11-2014, 09:11 PM
How did we qualify for Europe in that season?

Finished 4th I think, I vaguely remember a late Arthur Duncan header at home to Aberdeen that got us there. Disappointing season though.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Finished 4th I think, I vaguely remember a late Arthur Duncan header at home to Aberdeen that got us there. Disappointing season though.

4th place disappointing, imagine that?

Hiber-nation
28-11-2014, 09:30 PM
4th place disappointing, imagine that?

Yep and we even finished above celtc.

Table: http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/comphist_tables.php

IberianHibernian
28-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Was at the game but first time I`ve seen highlights on telly . Crowded terracing makes it look like a big crowd but I think there were only about 15000 there so I remember it as a European game with a small crowd ( less than half of crowds against Juventus , Liverpool ( first time ) , Leeds .. ) . Maybe the first tie except for ties with Liverpool and Leeds ( two against both ) where we had more than 100 away fans ? We played Sochaux around the same time but not sure if any of our fans travelled . We were definitely in decline by time of Strasbourg matches but were unlucky not to beat a very good team ( as someone has said they went on to be French champions while we got a bad 5th and lost cup final before being relegated the following year ) .

wookie70
28-11-2014, 10:21 PM
How rubbish were players at cheating back them

Thecat23
28-11-2014, 10:39 PM
http://youtu.be/Znkp0n7iOh0

Glory Lurker
28-11-2014, 11:33 PM
http://youtu.be/Znkp0n7iOh0

Brought it all back :grr::fuming::grr::fuming: We deserved to win that over the two games.

snedzuk
28-11-2014, 11:41 PM
Was at the game but first time I`ve seen highlights on telly . Crowded terracing makes it look like a big crowd but I think there were only about 15000 there so I remember it as a European game with a small crowd ( less than half of crowds against Juventus , Liverpool ( first time ) , Leeds .. ) . Maybe the first tie except for ties with Liverpool and Leeds ( two against both ) where we had more than 100 away fans ? We played Sochaux around the same time but not sure if any of our fans travelled . We were definitely in decline by time of Strasbourg matches but were unlucky not to beat a very good team ( as someone has said they went on to be French champions while we got a bad 5th and lost cup final before being relegated the following year ) .

I travelled witn st giles branch to montbeliard to see the sochaux away game - two buses went from leith with Jackie curran coaches if anyone remembers them and somewhere I have some pics of that trip !

snooky
29-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Typical Sportscene - couldn't understand one word of the commentary.

Keith_M
29-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Thanks for posting that, BH.

I remember the game purely from my Dad being there (I didn't get to my first match till 79) and telling me about it. Most of the tackles in that match would be yellow and red cards nowadays. A real mans game :wink:

p.s. Does anybody know what the attendance was?

Billy McKirdy
29-11-2014, 10:37 AM
I've seen the black & white away footage of this tie on YouTube (much better quality strangely) from French tv?
Norkopping was my first Euro game then this match.
Good to see this again.

Hiber-nation
29-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks for posting that, BH.

I remember the game purely from my Dad being there (I din't get to my first match till 79) and telling me about it. Most of the tackles in that match would be yellow and red cards nowadays. A real mans game :wink:

p.s. Does anybody know what the attendance was?

14,662. http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=77938

Phil D. Rolls
29-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Typical Sportscene - couldn't understand one word of the commentary.

Been racking my brains, who was that guy Mackleyod playing number 8?

Keith_M
29-11-2014, 11:14 AM
14,662. http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=77938

Cheers.

I think that reflects the fact that Hibs were already on the slide by then and the general downturn in Attendances across all Clubs in that era.