PDA

View Full Version : Yams Out before Christmas...Again

Libby Hibby
25-11-2014, 09:58 PM
When they get put out by Celtic on Saturday will that be the 3rd time in a row they have been put out of their 'Special relationship' cup before Christmas?

In all seriousness, if we can overcome Alloa on Saturday, 50% of the SPL clubs have to go out, so hopefully we can get a wee run in it this season

Sir David Gray
25-11-2014, 09:59 PM
When they get put out by Celtic on Saturday will that be the 3rd time in a row they have been put out of their 'Special relationship' cup before Christmas?

In all seriousness, if we can overcome Alloa on Saturday, 50% of the SPL clubs have to go out, so hopefully we can get a wee run in it this season

Yeah, they haven't won a Scottish Cup match since that day.

Here's hoping it won't be third time lucky.

monktonharp
26-11-2014, 12:51 AM

In all seriousness, if we can overcome Alloa on Saturday, 50% of the SPL clubs have to go out, so hopefully we can get a wee run in it this seasonI seriously hope you are right. btw, stop using pictures of my wife, as your avatar!

greenlex
26-11-2014, 02:27 AM
Yeah, they haven't won a Scottish Cup match since that day.

Here's hoping it won't be third time lucky.
They haven't even scored a Scottish Cup goal since that day.

Pete
26-11-2014, 04:03 AM
I'd rather they put Celtic out.

I want us to win the thing.

Libby Hibby
26-11-2014, 05:21 AM
I seriously hope you are right. btw, stop using pictures of my wife, as your avatar!

And you mine :greengrin

bigwheel
26-11-2014, 06:09 AM
I'm more concerned about us I have to say - tricky tie this weekend ...we will need to play well to go through

macca70
26-11-2014, 06:35 AM
Surely this is a Yam wind up?

Not quite sure we can gloat or be making sarcastic comments about their Scottish Cup record.

My Jambo mates have seen them win it twice since 2006, there's not a person still alive on this planet that's seen us win it. but as long as we stay in it til Christmas!!

stevie-bee
26-11-2014, 07:15 AM
I can see hearts beating celtic,
And I think we will struggle at Alloa on the plastic pitch

allezsauzee
26-11-2014, 07:31 AM
I think Celtic will be up for it and will batter the yams but I don't think we should be gloating about anyone's Scottish Cup record. We should win but the 15/4 on offer for Alloa looks a decent price considering we've lost there already this season.

Libby Hibby
26-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Are we not allowed to discuss their poor record in this trophy since they beat us in the final? Every Hibby is fully aware of our shocking history and there's not a lot we can do about that but we can certainly highlight their failings since 2012!!! Possibly in the same way they highlight it as a success.

And when a post is put up slagging our rivals, very strange that fellow Hibby's suddenly bring up our record in some way to squash the discussion instead of trying to poke fun at them

Sorry guys, no Jambo on the wind up here

Hermit Crab
26-11-2014, 07:54 AM
Talk like this comes back to bite you. Let's just worry about our game on Saturday.

Libby Hibby
26-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Talk like this comes back to bite you. Let's just worry about our game on Saturday.

Let's hope not

cabbageandribs1875
26-11-2014, 10:25 AM
sellick will beat the pink scarf twirlers np's, another :0:--:7: would be nice

eastcoasthibby
26-11-2014, 11:03 AM

Absolutely right, we need to look after ourselves first and never mind what happens elsewhere !! We will have our work cut out on Saturday as Alloa will be right up for it given our woeful performance there earlier in the season.....we will need to be on top off our game definitely

GGTTH

PatHead
26-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Have we booked a training session on the Alloa pitch or are we training at Spartans again in preparation?

Sir David Gray
26-11-2014, 02:44 PM
They haven't even scored a Scottish Cup goal since that day.

Correction - they haven't scored a goal against the opposition since that day.

I seem to recall Marius Zaliukas knocking in the winner for us a couple of years ago.

Cheers Zal. :aok:

I would feel more confident of winning against Celtc in the Scottish Cup than I would against Hearts.

Not quite sure we can gloat or be making sarcastic comments about their Scottish Cup record.

My Jambo mates have seen them win it twice since 2006, there's not a person still alive on this planet that's seen us win it. but as long as we stay in it til Christmas!!

Our record is so bad in the competition that I'm completely relaxed about things now. Whatever happens, happens.

My expectation levels as far as Hibs and the Scottish Cup is concerned is virtually zero so anything good that happens is a positive.

As above.

Pete
26-11-2014, 03:00 PM
I would feel more confident of winning against Celtc in the Scottish Cup than I would against Hearts.

You think hearts are a better team than Celtic?:confused:

Sir David Gray
26-11-2014, 04:20 PM

No but that's a slightly different issue.

Playing Hearts in a one off knockout match in the Scottish Cup isn't something that I would look forward to and given our record against them, coupled with our awful record in the Scottish Cup, I would feel more confident about playing Celtc.

Especially if they're still involved in Europa League duties after Christmas, which is looking likely.

monktonharp
26-11-2014, 04:29 PM

My Jambo mates have seen them win it twice since 2006, there's not a person still alive on this planet that's seen us win it. but as long as we stay in it til Christmas!! tell them, God has seen us win it, and he is waiting for a special time, to let us win it again

Hibernia&Alba
26-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Their 'special relationship' with the cup is beyond cringe, just like calling themselves the 'big team' and 'the famous'. They really need to be reminded they aren't Real Madrid.

Pete
26-11-2014, 04:48 PM
No but that's a slightly different issue.

Playing Hearts in a one off knockout match in the Scottish Cup isn't something that I would look forward to and given our record against them, coupled with our awful record in the Scottish Cup, I would feel more confident about playing Celtc.

I'm not sure why our record against them would make any difference. The bottom line is that they have had better teams so they have won more matches than we have but there are now different players at the clubs. If people try and use the fact that hearts were beating us when they were skint in their argument then they should also realise that everyone else was also beating us.

Our recent Scottish cup record is actually quite good (finals apart) and letting things like 110 years or whatever influence you in any way is like worrying about the grinch stealing Christmas. Again, totally different players who were nothing to do with what happened before and don't really care.

The bottom line is that if hearts bring their A game then it won't matter because if we bring ours then we're going through. If Celtic fancy it we're going out and there's not much we can do about it. All that is based on analysing this seasons performances, not hocus pocus.

...or maybe your stance towards Celtic is softening?:greengrin

Cod Boy
26-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Funny how alot of Hearts fans are coming out with the cup is a distraction this season. As they are concentrating on the league.

Pete
26-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Funny how alot of Hearts fans are coming out with the cup is a distraction this season. As they are concentrating on the league.

They decided it was a distraction the minute they drew Celtic.

Cod Boy
26-11-2014, 04:50 PM

Exactly

Sir David Gray
26-11-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm not sure why our record against them would make any difference. The bottom line is that they have had better teams so they have won more matches than we have but there are now different players at the clubs. If people try and use the fact that hearts were beating us when they were skint in their argument then they should also realise that everyone else was also beating us.

Our recent Scottish cup record is actually quite good (finals apart) and letting things like 110 years or whatever influence you in any way is like worrying about the grinch stealing Christmas. Again, totally different players who were nothing to do with what happened before and don't really care.

The bottom line is that if hearts bring their A game then it won't matter because if we bring ours then we're going through. If Celtic fancy it we're going out and there's not much we can do about it. All that is based on analysing this seasons performances, not hocus pocus.

...or maybe your stance towards Celtic is softening?:greengrin

I don't see how our record doesn't make any difference.

They haven't always had better teams than us and yet they always seem to have the upper hand against us.

Different players are at both teams almost on a yearly basis and yet it's almost always the same story when it comes to a derby.

I'm not sure how you can say with any certainty that if both clubs played at the top of their game then we would go through. We put in one of the best derby performances I've seen by a Hibs team for a good few years in the most recent derby and we still couldn't beat them.

Obviously if we played Celtc and they played to their potential then we would lose to them too.

And no my stance towards Celtc isn't softening, you'll be glad to know. :greengrin

If they were playing anyone else other than Hearts at the weekend, I would be hoping for them to get gubbed.

Horrible, disgusting excuse of a club.

Crops73
26-11-2014, 05:22 PM

On their day they could​ be.

kev1875
26-11-2014, 05:36 PM

Ltyf

sleeping giant
26-11-2014, 05:38 PM

You would say that :hmmm:

cabbageandribs1875
26-11-2014, 05:39 PM

giggle giggle

emerald green
26-11-2014, 05:45 PM
The thing is, Hibs overall record in the Scottish Cup isn't really all that bad if based on the considerable number of times the club has reached either the semi-final or the final.

Leaving aside the OF, I'm not sure there are very many clubs who have been in more finals than Hibs. Hibs just cannot get over the final hurdle and actually win the damn thing.

BTW I hope HOMFC get hammered by Celtic.

Pete
26-11-2014, 05:49 PM
I don't see how our record doesn't make any difference.

They haven't always had better teams than us and yet they always seem to have the upper hand against us.

Different players are at both teams almost on a yearly basis and yet it's almost always the same story when it comes to a derby.

I'm not sure how you can say with any certainty that if both clubs played at the top of their game then we would go through. We put in one of the best derby performances I've seen by a Hibs team for a good few years in the most recent derby and we still couldn't beat them.

Obviously if we played Celtc and they played to their potential then we would lose to them too.

And no my stance towards Celtc isn't softening, you'll be glad to know. :greengrin

If they were playing anyone else other than Hearts at the weekend, I would be hoping for them to get gubbed.

Horrible, disgusting excuse of a club.

So what's your theory then? Black magic? There haven't been many times when they haven't had a better team than us due to their overspending so their record has been good. Better players and teams win more matches and we have done OK on the few occasions that we have had more at our disposal. There is a tendency to look too much into this record.

We haven't played well in derbies yet won so how do you square that circle? The last game was saved with a flukey goal and if we continue to play like that we'll win more than we lose. It had nothing to do with them being some superior entity.

We're better than them and we'll beat them if we bring our A game. Hearts didn't choose to play badly in the last game...We didn't give them a choice.

Have faith.

FranckSuzy
26-11-2014, 05:51 PM

What does "on their day" mean....if Thomson is reffing?

Of two meetings this year, Celtic have beaten Hearts twice: 3-0 and 2-0. Once in the League Cup and once in the League.

http://fussball.wettpoint.com/en/h2h/857-861.html

Pete
26-11-2014, 05:52 PM

On my day I could win the lottery.

Sir David Gray
26-11-2014, 06:39 PM
So what's your theory then? Black magic? There haven't been many times when they haven't had a better team than us due to their overspending so their record has been good. Better players and teams win more matches and we have done OK on the few occasions that we have had more at our disposal. There is a tendency to look too much into this record.

We haven't played well in derbies yet won so how do you square that circle? The last game was saved with a flukey goal and if we continue to play like that we'll win more than we lose. It had nothing to do with them being some superior entity.

We're better than them and we'll beat them if we bring our A game. Hearts didn't choose to play badly in the last game...We didn't give them a choice.

Have faith.

I keep hearing people on here saying that we're better than them.

There's 16 points separating us and we've played almost 40% of the season. I think that when there's a gap of this size between two clubs, it's a bit silly to suggest that the lower ranked side is better than the team above them.

Yes we certainly outplayed them during the last derby but you can't make a statement like the one above based solely on one game.

EastCalderHibby
26-11-2014, 07:59 PM

said the same after livi humped them oot the cup earlier :rolleyes:13790

Pete
26-11-2014, 08:06 PM
I keep hearing people on here saying that we're better than them.

There's 16 points separating us and we've played almost 40% of the season. I think that when there's a gap of this size between two clubs, it's a bit silly to suggest that the lower ranked side is better than the team above them.

Yes we certainly outplayed them during the last derby but you can't make a statement like the one above based solely on one game.

I know there is a gap but that's because we have been slow to start against the rest of the league. We won't be playing the rest of the league in a cup tie though.

I'm basing it on not just one game, but both and taking into account how we have improved.

What's silly is making judgements based on past records which on the day will be irrelevant.

...and right now we are the better team.

sleeping giant
26-11-2014, 08:13 PM

:faf:
Dreary me :greengrin

silverhibee
26-11-2014, 08:30 PM
On my day I could win the lottery.

You could afford to buy a bag this time round if you did. :greengrin

Pete
26-11-2014, 08:56 PM
You could afford to buy a bag this time round if you did. :greengrin

McDonald's out. Witchery in. :cool2:

silverhibee
26-11-2014, 09:39 PM
McDonald's out. Witchery in. :cool2:

:thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
26-11-2014, 09:40 PM

This.

Diclonius
26-11-2014, 09:41 PM
The thing is, Hibs overall record in the Scottish Cup isn't really all that bad if based on the considerable number of times the club has reached either the semi-final or the final.

Leaving aside the OF, I'm not sure there are very many clubs who have been in more finals than Hibs. Hibs just cannot get over the final hurdle and actually win the damn thing.

BTW I hope HOMFC get hammered by Celtic.

Clubs winning at least one Scottish Cup by finals win percentage:

St Bernard's - 1/1 (100%)
St Johnstone - 1/1 (100%)
Queen's Park - 10/12 (83.3%)
Celtic - 36/55 (65.5%)
Rangers - 33/51 (64.7%)
Hearts - 8/14 (57.1%)
Clyde - 3/6 (50%)
St Mirren - 3/6 (50%)
Vale of Leven - 3/7 (47.9%)
Aberdeen - 7/15 (46.6%)
Falkirk - 2/4 (50%)
Morton - 1/2 (50%)
Partick - 1/2 (50%)
Dunfermline - 2/5 (40%)
Renton - 2/5 (40%)
Kilmarnock - 3/8 (37.5%)
East Fife - 1/3 (33.3%)
Third Lanark - 2/6 (33.3%)
Motherwell - 2/7 (28.6%)
Airdrieonians - 1/4 (25%)
Dundee - 1/5 (20%)
Dundee United - 2/10 (20%)
Dumbarton - 1/6 (16.7%)
Hibernian - 2/13 (15.4%)

So basically aside from teams who have only lost finals (Hamilton are the only team who have done that more than once, by the way) we have officially the worst record. That's from 13 finals - only the OF, Aberdeen and Hearts have been in more.

rcarter1
26-11-2014, 09:48 PM

Celtic - 36/55 (65.5%)
Rangers - 33/51 (64.7%)
Hearts - 8/14 (57.1%)
Clyde - 3/6 (50%)
St Mirren - 3/6 (50%)
Aberdeen - 7/15 (46.6%)
Falkirk - 2/4 (50%)
Morton - 1/2 (50%)
Partick - 1/2 (50%)
Dunfermline - 2/5 (40%)
Renton - 2/5 (40%)
Kilmarnock - 3/8 (37.5%)
East Fife - 1/3 (33.3%)
Motherwell - 2/7 (28.6%)
Dundee - 1/5 (20%)
Dumbarton - 1/6 (16.7%)
Hibernian - 2/13 (15.4%)

So basically aside from teams who have only lost finals (Hamilton are the only team who have done that more than once, by the way) we have officially the worst record. That's from 13 finals - only the OF, Aberdeen and Hearts have been in more.

Ive decided that if we don't win it this year, then I want Aberdeen to win it. Anything to erode Hearts '3rd force' theory. Didn't realise we had been to only one less final than them as well.

emerald green
27-11-2014, 06:30 PM

Celtic - 36/55 (65.5%)
Rangers - 33/51 (64.7%)
Hearts - 8/14 (57.1%)
Clyde - 3/6 (50%)
St Mirren - 3/6 (50%)
Aberdeen - 7/15 (46.6%)
Falkirk - 2/4 (50%)
Morton - 1/2 (50%)
Partick - 1/2 (50%)
Dunfermline - 2/5 (40%)
Renton - 2/5 (40%)
Kilmarnock - 3/8 (37.5%)
East Fife - 1/3 (33.3%)
Motherwell - 2/7 (28.6%)
Dundee - 1/5 (20%)
Dumbarton - 1/6 (16.7%)
Hibernian - 2/13 (15.4%)

Yes I was aware of those stats, particularly the number of finals reached by Hibs, Aberdeen & HOMFC. The point I was trying to make though was our overall Scottish Cup record is not all that bad. As you show - 13 Scottish Cup finals.

Like every Hibs supporter, and as everyone keeps reminding us, I am all too well aware our record in finals is frankly ridiculous, as well as heart breaking. We have the worst record in the final.

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Two wins from thirteen finals. There's having a poor cup record, and then there's our cup record :-D

One day.......

Libby Hibby
29-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Well done Hibs, we did our bit today...lets hope Celtic do theirs tomorrow!!!

29-11-2014, 04:18 PM

Exactly, those tramps make it up as they go along. The league cup was apparently "just a wee diddy cup" and hearts were apparently "far too big to bother about it, leave it to the wee teams etc." until they made the final last year then it was suddenly a big important cup and haha to us little hibees for not being in the final, we are the big team etc etc. Seriously, its hard to believe how utterly arrogant, laughable and down right delusional they are. It really does beggar belief!

emerald green
29-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Exactly, those tramps make it up as they go along. The league cup was apparently "just a wee diddy cup" and hearts were apparently "far too big to bother about it, leave it to the wee teams etc." until they made the final last year then it was suddenly a big important cup and haha to us little hibees for not being in the final, we are the big team etc etc. Seriously, its hard to believe how utterly arrogant, laughable and down right delusional they are. It really does beggar belief!

Should they beat Celtic tomorrow they will be parading about, bragging and boasting loudly about it in their usual manner, ably assisted by all their pals in the media.

Libby Hibby
30-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Come on Celtic, let's make it really embarrassing for those smelly tramps!!! 4 zip and counting

green day
30-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Should they beat Celtic tomorrow they will be parading about, bragging and boasting loudly about it in their usual manner, ably assisted by all their pals in the media.

Ah well another year and NAE cup goals. Good.

Hearts are wan***s

emerald green
30-11-2014, 05:31 PM

Hearts are wan***s

Yep, it's a Carlsberg weekend. To all my Yam "friends" viewing... GIRFUY. :bye:

CallumLaidlaw
30-11-2014, 05:36 PM

Hearts are wan***s

Yup - played 3 lost 3 scored 0 conceded 12

Libby Hibby
30-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Yup - played 3 lost 3 scored 0 conceded 12

And since the 3rd round moved to pre Christmas in 2012, they have not seen passed December!!! Pleasing indeed

Eyrie
30-11-2014, 06:03 PM
And since the 3rd round moved to pre Christmas in 2012, they have not seen passed December!!! Pleasing indeed

So that's what they mean by a special relationship. Looks more like a series of failed one night stands given their inability to rise to the occasion.

brog
30-11-2014, 06:28 PM
The commentator came up with an astonishing stat today but I didn't catch it fully. Think it was in the last 7 Yam games vs Celtc they've conceded about 23 goals & scored 1!! That must be what big teams do! :greengrin

emerald green
30-11-2014, 06:33 PM
The commentator came up with an astonishing stat today but I didn't catch it fully. Think it was in the last 7 Yam games vs Celtc they've conceded about 23 goals & scored 1!! That must be what big teams do! :greengrin

That's what I call embarrassing. :tee hee:

EDIT - that statistic might have been even worse if Celtic hadn't taken their foot off the gas this afternoon.

Libby Hibby
30-11-2014, 06:55 PM
That's what I call embarrassing. :tee hee:

EDIT - that statistic might have been even worse if Celtic hadn't taken their foot off the gas this afternoon.

I picked up that Celtic have won the last 10 games against Hearts, scoring 35 times

PatHead
30-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Yesterday 3 Edinburgh teams were in the cup, 2 made it through, guess who didn't? :)

hibees 7062
30-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Yesterday 3 Edinburgh teams were in the cup, 2 made it through, guess who didn't? :)

The BIG one ? :greengrin

Libby Hibby
30-11-2014, 07:35 PM
The BIG one ? :greengrin

Yeah, the self proclaimed BIG one

Pete
30-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Some teams are just too big for the Scottish Cup.