PDA

View Full Version : David Moyes

BOB MARLEYS DUG
11-11-2014, 08:11 AM
New Real Sociedad manager, year and a half contract.

easty
11-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Watched them beat Atletico the other night, they look a decent side.

scott7_0(Prague)
11-11-2014, 09:18 AM
I really hope he goes on and does really well - looks like he was a scapegoat at United and even the new chosene of Louis van Gaal cannot pull them out the mess that Ferguson left them with.

Diclonius
11-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Shame, was hoping he'd get the job at Newcastle if Pardew got the sack. Not too bothered now though. :greengrin

Hope he does well and sticks two fingers up to the English media for his character assassination last season.

Brightside
11-11-2014, 10:37 AM
New Real Sociedad manager, year and a half contract.

Good - shafted by Man U after taking on a shambles of a team. They've actually got worse under LVG!

johnbc70
11-11-2014, 12:33 PM
I really hope he goes on and does really well - looks like he was a scapegoat at United and even the new chosene of Louis van Gaal cannot pull them out the mess that Ferguson left them with.

Don't really get this notion of Ferguson leaving them in a 'mess'. Butcher left Hibs in a mess and that was proven in the relegation that happened. Ferguson left Man United in the middle of May and left a team that had just won the league by 11 points and with relative ease. The new season kicked off about 12 weeks later and in those 12 weeks the team all of a sudden became rubbish? Yes some replacements were needed but to say that leaving a league winning team was a mess is unfair.

WeeRussell
11-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Was also watching the end of Sociedad v Atletico the other night and was surprised to learn how lowly Sociedad lie currently. Causing me to buy-in even less to this notion that the bulk of the Premier League would hammer their Spanish Equivalents!

Quite a ship to take on for Moyes though - if he was to go there and get relegated, it wouldn't be the best return to the game. Away from England and their media can't be a bad thing though - and a bit of Spanish sun (bet he burns like toast!)

Good luck to him - hope he can take a few more points off BOTH Madrid sides :cb

HibsNutter
11-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Felt really sorry for him last year, although this season has shown there was no quick fix for United as Van Gaal isn't doing much better even with the additions of Di Maria, Falcao, Blind..

Hibernia&Alba
11-11-2014, 07:30 PM
I hope he enjoys his time in Spain and puts his nightmare at United behind him. The fact is the job was too big for him. He always looked like a frightened man and never sounded confident, but it wasn't his fault he was offered the job.

HH81
11-11-2014, 07:32 PM
He did a great job at man u. Got a decent pay off no doubt and is now off to spain for a holiday.

Good luck David.

Iggy Pope
12-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Was also watching the end of Sociedad v Atletico the other night and was surprised to learn how lowly Sociedad lie currently. Causing me to buy-in even less to this notion that the bulk of the Premier League would hammer their Spanish Equivalents!

Quite a ship to take on for Moyes though - if he was to go there and get relegated, it wouldn't be the best return to the game. Away from England and their media can't be a bad thing though - and a bit of Spanish sun (bet he burns like toast!)

Good luck to him - hope he can take a few more points of BOTH Madrid sides :cb

Agreed, hope he does well. Without wanting to start another brolly thread, that's what he will need in San Sebastián, more than sun cream. Great place to watch football though.
Real Sociedad are currently lying a lot better than they were five or six years ago when they were struggling to get out of The 2nd. I was lucky enough to catch a game at the Aneota then and I believe (without vast Basque vocabulary, like) that their fans might've been a bit pissed off. No Pasaran and all that!

Sir David Gray
12-11-2014, 12:21 AM
Don't really get this notion of Ferguson leaving them in a 'mess'. Butcher left Hibs in a mess and that was proven in the relegation that happened. Ferguson left Man United in the middle of May and left a team that had just won the league by 11 points and with relative ease. The new season kicked off about 12 weeks later and in those 12 weeks the team all of a sudden became rubbish? Yes some replacements were needed but to say that leaving a league winning team was a mess is unfair.

:agree: I hope Alan Stubbs leaves us in a similar "mess" in a few years.

Manchester Utd's problem is that Sir Alex Ferguson is a one in a million manager and is virtually irreplaceable.

Their problems were inevitable. When someone, who has been as successful as Ferguson was over the 26 and a half years he had at Old Trafford, leaves then it's always going to be a very difficult for that club to cope with that loss.

JimBHibees
12-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Totally agree. Ferguson left a team which walked the league hardly a mess. Moyes didnt get anything out of the experienced players and struggled accordingly. He had a fair bit of time to prepare for the new season also.

Keith_M
12-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Agreed, hope he does well. Without wanting to start another brolly thread, that's what he will need in San Sebastián, more than sun cream. Great place to watch football though.
Real Sociedad are currently lying a lot better than they were five or six years ago when they were struggling to get out of The 2nd. I was lucky enough to catch a game at the Aneota then and I believe (without vast Basque vocabulary, like) that their fans might've been a bit pissed off. No Pasaran and all that!

Iggy, wasn't there talk of them moving to a new Stadium? Do you happen to know how that's going?

ekhibee
12-11-2014, 06:57 PM
I've always thought Moyes conducted himself with dignity, but I always thought he was too nice a guy to manage Man Utd. He's nothing like Ferguson as an individual, but Ferguson's record speaks for itself. Maybe the old phrase 'nice guys don't come first' is relevant in this respect. I hope Moyes does make a success of it at Real Sociedad, it would be even better if somewhere along the line they play Man U and beat them. Just my opinion though.

GreenArmy1875
12-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Man United looked pretty poor in Fergies last years. Players like Valencia, Nani, Rafael, Evans and Young the list is endless. The players in my opinion are not good enough for top 4 teams in England. Fergie got the best out of those players and other managers probably can't hence why Moyes struggled.