PDA

View Full Version : Water repellant

adhibs
10-11-2014, 06:54 PM
does anyone have any experience of using this stuff? http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-water-repellent-seal-clear-5ltr/57474

after looking at other possibilities i reckon I have penetrating damp. I was about to phone in someone to deal with the problem when i came across this stuff. seems to have good reviews but the 1 year gurantee makes me think it may be a short term fix, if it works at all. i'm also a bit concerned that if i did use this and it didnt work that it would affect any future treatments to the problem. On the other hand id rather pay £18 to give it a go myself than pay someone multiple times that if there just going to do the same, or similar, to fix the problem

stoneyburn hibs
10-11-2014, 10:19 PM
I do contract work for a preservation company and if it's a wall/walls that are showing signs of dampness then the usual course of action is stripping the plaster back to the brick up to a metre high from the floor. Treatment is then injected into the brickwork, or in some cases a damp proof barrier is fitted,then everything is put back as it was.

You really wouldn't be solving the problem by using that product.

Peevemor
10-11-2014, 10:41 PM
It depends where the dampness is coming from. If it's a ground floor then the most common cause is rising damp, in which case the product in the link will serve no purpose - the usual course of action would be as outlined above by Stoneyburn Hibs. Sometimes dampness can penetrate the external wall due to open joints/dodgy pointing. You should have a proper look. The screwfix stuff in your link would only work if the problem is down to porous brickwork/stonework which, although it's a possibility, is pretty unlikely.

adhibs
11-11-2014, 05:47 AM
Cheers, glad I asked before giving that stuff a go. It is ground floor with two marks above skirting but there's another about a meter up at side of window frame, that one made me rule out rising damp, or is that still a possibility? I've had the downpipe and connecting trap checked, windows checked and pointing as well. I'll go out after work and give it a thorough look in case anything been missed.

Peevemor
11-11-2014, 07:32 AM
Cheers, glad I asked before giving that stuff a go. It is ground floor with two marks above skirting but there's another about a meter up at side of window frame, that one made me rule out rising damp, or is that still a possibility? I've had the downpipe and connecting trap checked, windows checked and pointing as well. I'll go out after work and give it a thorough look in case anything been missed.

1m is high for rising damp. Check the window mastic carfeully.

snooky
11-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Water repellant?
Have you tried calling Celtc Park? :dunno: