PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

Billychaotic182
30-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Boy deserves a thread of his own. Been outstanding as a wingback. I thought booth would have been better suited but Stevenson has been excellent. Well done Lewis

Aldo
30-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Boy deserves a thread of his own. Been outstanding as a wingback. I thought booth would have been better suited but Stevenson has been excellent. Well done Lewis

Indeed. I was disappointed in Booth when he came on. A few too many touches at times for me.

As long as Lewis continues to play like he has done Booth has a job on his hands getting into the team.

Unseen work
30-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Booth wasnt the best last night but, to be a sub coming on too that game at half time having not played alot recently, especially going out at ibrox 3-0 up at wingback, it is a hard game to get into as the rangers players were already fired up to come and attack and would have the majority of the ball. Very hard getting to grips and up to speed of the game as a sub at times

Nevi_SOL
30-09-2014, 04:01 PM
Indeed. I was disappointed in Booth when he came on. A few too many touches at times for me.

As long as Lewis continues to play like he has done Booth has a job on his hands getting into the team.

I agree about booth but I don't think he played bad. Just Lewis and gray set a high standard first half.

Franck Stanton
30-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Stevenson seems to be flourishing under Stubbs stewardship. The 3-5-2 system seems to suit his game. Well done young man, after all the derisory comments posted on .net over the years, seems you have gone a long way to winning the doubters over.

Aldo
30-09-2014, 04:05 PM
I agree about booth but I don't think he played bad. Just Lewis and gray set a high standard first half.

Agreed mate. Hard acts to follow.

TheFamous1875
30-09-2014, 04:07 PM
He was outstanding last night. Probably his best performance since the new year derby (in which he also won MOTM) or the 3-0 routing of Killie the match before that where he got only his second career goal! I think Lewis Stevenson is one of the latest inductees into the relatively small pantheon of modern Hibs heroes.

Re. Booth as wingback: I don't think he's suited to it at all, but I would be presently surprised and pleased if he could pull it off. His best attributes are in his forward play, but Stevenson's forward play is stronger than Booth's defensive play and his engine is one of the best in Scottish football. Booth's play as far as we've seen is more suited to being an overlapping fullback in an attacking side with a holding midfielder protecting him as he gets forward. That is how I would play him and I'd have Stevenson as that holding midfielder protecting him.

If Booth has improved his defensive game and proves to have an engine on par with Gray and Stevenson then he'll be an even better option than Lewis as he's better when going forward (not that Stevenson's as rank as people state him to be, as evident in his last two games and many more that people forget).

S4uzee
30-09-2014, 04:33 PM
3 assists in 2 games, well played Lewis. Loved his tackle on "Temps" near the end too

jacomo
30-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Stevenson seems to be flourishing under Stubbs stewardship. The 3-5-2 system seems to suit his game. Well done young man, after all the derisory comments posted on .net over the years, seems you have gone a long way to winning the doubters over.

I'm a fan of Lewis. But he did have a wee purple patch when Butcher first came in too, and similarly had good spells under Collins. He's also had spells when he's been anonymous, and in and out of the team.

Maybe left wing back plays to his strengths and he needs a run in that position?

B.H.F.C
30-09-2014, 04:58 PM
There is one thing he's done different in the last two games and that is to actually have a bit end product. He's always got in to good positions, got up and down the park, but failed to just do that final bit.

I've been his biggest critic but thought he was outstanding last night.

Onceinawhile
30-09-2014, 05:00 PM
He has some engine on him, he was up and down that pitch for 90 minutes.

3 assists in 2 games. Hope he keeps it up.

30-09-2014, 05:05 PM
MoM for me last night - well done Lewis :thumbsup:

EdinMike
30-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Was my MoM but people will still state he isn't good enough...

My_Wife_Camille
30-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Without doubt the single most under appreciated footballer to ever pull on the green and white of Hibernian in my opinion.

His defensive side is excellent. He's strong in the tackle and his lack of height rarely causes any disadvantage. Going forward he had a great engine, quick (deceptively so) and he's more than capable if going by a man. One of my only real criticisms is that his final ball could be better but 3 assists in 3 games is hard to argue with!

All that aside, he's a great lad and despite being brought up as a Raith Rovers fan, he's Hibs through and through now!

Really hope he gets a testimonial!

Northernhibee
30-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Without doubt the single most under appreciated footballer to ever pull on the green and white of Hibernian in my opinion.

His defensive side is excellent. He's strong in the tackle and his lack of height rarely causes any disadvantage. Going forward he had a great engine, quick (deceptively so) and he's more than capable if going by a man. One of my only real criticisms is that his final ball could be better but 3 assists in 3 games is hard to argue with!

All that aside, he's a great lad and despite being brought up as a Raith Rovers fan, he's Hibs through and through now!

Agreed, he's a huge asset to our team. Perhaps his versatility has worked against him but I wouldn't want Lewie to leave Hibs at any point in his career.

Mon yoursel' wee man.

Aldo
30-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Without doubt the single most under appreciated footballer to ever pull on the green and white of Hibernian in my opinion. His defensive side is excellent. He's strong in the tackle and his lack of height rarely causes any disadvantage. Going forward he had a great engine, quick (deceptively so) and he's more than capable if going by a man. One of my only real criticisms is that his final ball could be better but 3 assists in 3 games is hard to argue with! All that aside, he's a great lad and despite being brought up as a Raith Rovers fan, he's Hibs through and through now! Really hope he gets a testimonial!

Could not agree more!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Can now see why ma pal got Lewis Stevenson 16 tattoo'd on his erse!!

Smartie
30-09-2014, 07:18 PM

There's been a lot written about Lewis on here over the years but this absolutely nails it for me.

I'm desperate for him to get a run of games in the same position in a team that is finally worthy of wearing that green and white shirt so he can finally show us what he's really capable of. Hopefully the last 2 games are just the start of that happening.

And hopefully then we can fully appreciate him whilst he's here, instead of him being one of those players that you only really appreciate after they leave. In 10-20 years time we'll all think that he was brilliant.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
30-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Iniesta must have been watching Lewy last night to copy the cutback for the Messi goal :greengrin

Hope the wee felly takes the testimonial, those chaps who don't understand the game and have go at him week on week won't attend, leaving the spectacle to the football purists.

Think he would be pleasantly surprised by the turnout...

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Iniesta must have been watching Lewy last night to copy the cutback for the Messi goal :greengrin

Hope the wee felly takes the testimonial, those chaps who don't understand the game and have go at him week on week won't attend, leaving the spectacle to the football purists.

Think he would be pleasantly surprised by the turnout...

Just said something similar to your first paragraph re Messi's goal to my old boy, 2nd para is patronising to say the least. Havnae got a comment re paragraph 3.

HibbyAndy
30-09-2014, 07:58 PM
The laddie has got some engine oan him.

IanM
30-09-2014, 08:00 PM
How has everyone forgotten about Stevensons cruncher on bawbag Templeton that led to Harris going clean through on goal??

One of my highlights of the year, never mind match!

gillythehibby
30-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Well done to the original OP for this wee thread. I like Lewis. Never hides and rarely makes a mistake. !00% to the green and white jersey always even when being asked to play out of position. Deserved the MOTM. Take a bow son !

Persevere80
30-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Love him or hate him, he is part of the furniture at hibs. To get his game under so many managers says it all to me. He's been through the ups and downs with us over the years. He may even be management material one day.

madabouthibs
30-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Great asset for us over the years, he's been shunted about various positions through the years but it's obvious where he prefers playing. Been with us through thin and thinner, and thoroughly deserves a testimonial next year. Gaun yersel wee man! :-D

HibbyAndy
30-09-2014, 08:10 PM
It still feels like yesterday he was MOTM in the league cup final in 07!! **** me where did that 7 years go :Ummm: He was just a wee laddie then!

Mibbes Aye
30-09-2014, 08:35 PM
3 assists in 2 games, well played Lewis. Loved his tackle on "Temps" near the end too

:agree:

The tackle near the end was just what we needed.

In amongst that tackle and the assists and beating the man to get a cross in, I also thought Lewis consistently did the thing that makes him stand out - simply moving into good space and showing for the ball, time after time after time. It's not complicated but he does it better and more often than most.

It's that level of self-discipline that explains why managers trust him to switch position and fill in on the right when required, IMO.

Loved the description of him last night as 'The White Cafu' :greengrin

Hibs7
30-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Gives 110% in every game no matter what position he is played in ... But I think the wing back roll is his best position and suits him to a tee .. I also think he said last night he enjoys playing there .. A real hibby !!

WestStandMoaner
30-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Gives 110% in every game no matter what position he is played in ... But I think the wing back roll is his best position and suits him to a tee .. I also think he said last night he enjoys playing there .. A real hibby !!

:agree::agree:

Mikey09
30-09-2014, 09:14 PM
I think the phrase we are looking for is.... "Silenced his critics?" :wink:

Great player, fantastic attitude and a lovely lad.

Stantons Angel
30-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Great asset for us over the years, he's been shunted about various positions through the years but it's obvious where he prefers playing. Been with us through thin and thinner, and thoroughly deserves a testimonial next year. Gaun yersel wee man! :-D

Well i agree with every sentiment you write and the OP has to be congratulated in putting up this post for Lewis!

As you all know i have been a great supporter of this wee laddie for many years and have had the occasion to come on hear in reply to some of the undue criticism that has been pointed at him time and time again.

Last night showed why he is in the team and showed his versatility once again last night.

He is a lovely chap and deserves a testimonial year and i hope he gets one too.

Well done Lewis, keep it up!

macd123
01-10-2014, 12:19 AM
I have never understood the folk that don't rate him but i think they are a minority. Great attitude but his passing is underrated too.

MrRobot
01-10-2014, 06:18 AM
Stevenson was outstanding.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
01-10-2014, 07:07 AM
Just said something similar to your first paragraph re Messi's goal to my old boy, 2nd para is patronising to say the least. Havnae got a comment re paragraph 3.
2nd para was intended to catch some fish right enough

lucky
01-10-2014, 07:18 AM
I thought he just put in his usual performance for me he rarely lets Hibs down. But I thought Craig was MoTM

dangermouse
01-10-2014, 08:06 AM
I thought he just put in his usual performance for me he rarely lets Hibs down. But I thought Craig was MoTM

Lewis was a stand out for me on Monday. Craig probably played the best I've seen him play in a Hibs shirt but it certainly wasn't a MOM performance. I noticed on a few occasions in the second half Craig just lumped the ball up the park (maybe he still thought TB was in charge :greengrin). He needs to be a bit more composed and pass the ball better.

CMac1988
01-10-2014, 08:14 AM
MOTM for me also.

I've defended Stevenson a few times on here and have said time and time again he needs played on the wing. It's good that he's versatile in that he can fill in for others when required but that only serves too show our lack of depth in various positions. Keep him on the wing and let him improve his crossing consistency as that's the one thing he needs too work on at the moment.