PDA

View Full Version : Craig and Robertson

Ozyhibby
17-08-2014, 10:18 PM
There is a lot of abuse aimed at these two on here but for me they are not the main problem we have. The two of them worked their socks of today.
The real problem is the three players in front of them. Can anyone honestly say that these three worked their socks off? Not a single chance created amongst them. No work rate during the game. No tracking back. Nothing. They hid the whole game making sure they didn't make a mistake.
Failure to sign a proper attacking midfielder could see Stubbs go the same way as Fenlon.

leggeto
17-08-2014, 10:23 PM
We should go for Higginbotham, think he is what we need

J-C
17-08-2014, 10:25 PM
There is a lot of abuse aimed at these two on here but for me they are not the main problem we have. The two of them worked their socks of today.
The real problem is the three players in front of them. Can anyone honestly say that these three worked their socks off? Not a single chance created amongst them. No work rate during the game. No tracking back. Nothing. They hid the whole game making sure they didn't make a mistake.
Failure to sign a proper attacking midfielder could see Stubbs go the same way as Fenlon.

Harris living off a few games at the end i=of the previous season/Stanton living off some decent displays last season and Handling off some decent diplays for the U20's but can we honestly think playing these 3 young lads will be the success to our season.

Harris shows glimpses as does the other 2 but they all too often drift in and out of games which means you're playing 1 or 2 short during the game.

gegs70
17-08-2014, 10:31 PM

Harris really shouldn't be avfirst pick I think confidence is still a huge issue for him and while he did ok on the first he was nowhere in the 2nd.

Stanton again I questioned a few times if he was good enough but perhaps he is more effective through the middle. I would consider Allen and Kennedy perhaps use harris as a sub? bring on Cummings for handling.
Could we go 4-3-3 even!!!

bigstu
17-08-2014, 10:33 PM
The whole team is crap!

Ozyhibby
17-08-2014, 10:36 PM
The whole team is crap!

I disagree. I think it's this area that let's us down the most.

S4uzee
17-08-2014, 10:41 PM
We should go for Higginbotham, think he is what we need
He was in the Hibs end today with Sean Welsh

macd123
17-08-2014, 10:52 PM

We have signed kennedy and allan as attacking midfielders. Also craig can play there. We do need a proper defensive midfielder though. Craig and robertson just aren't comfortable in that role.

gegs70
17-08-2014, 10:54 PM
We have signed kennedy and allan as attacking midfielders. Also craig can play there. We do need a proper defensive midfielder though. Craig and robertson just aren't comfortable in that role.

I quite like the look of Aaron Dora from ICT?

H18Y GW
18-08-2014, 05:57 AM
Harris living off a few games at the end i=of the previous season/Stanton living off some decent displays last season and Handling off some decent diplays for the U20's but can we honestly think playing these 3 young lads will be the success to our season.

Harris shows glimpses as does the other 2 but they all too often drift in and out of games which means you're playing 1 or 2 short during the game.

We can't or shouldn't have two of them together in the same team , they offer nothing , Handling I can almost stomach as a player , the other two need a break as do the fans ..

Stubbs can now play his players , it's point proven for me

MWHIBBIES
18-08-2014, 06:13 AM
Both very good in the opening league game and both are good players. Hope neither are affected by the pathetic negativity on here and from the stands towards them they can kick on and have good seasons. Booing and moaning at the team only makes them worse, surely we have realized this by now?

Edit - As for the point in the OP. I agree, Harris is good but inconsistent, Stanton is never a winger and Handling is talented but can go missing. All could turn into very good players but we are relying on them way too heavily right now.

offshorehibby
18-08-2014, 06:16 AM

I think they should be starting with Allan & Kennedy on Saturday. Drop maybe Handling and Stanton to the bench.

Ozyhibby
18-08-2014, 06:22 AM
Both very good in the opening league game and both are good players. Hope neither are affected by the pathetic negativity on here and from the stands towards them they can kick on and have good seasons. Booing and moaning at the team only makes them worse, surely we have realized this by now?

Edit - As for the point in the OP. I agree, Harris is good but inconsistent, Stanton is never a winger and Handling is talented but can go missing. All could turn into very good players but we are relying on them way too heavily right now.

Didn't hear any booing and moaning from the stand at Tynecastle yesterday. Absolutely no negativity whatsoever. It's not the fans at fault here. Our fans were fantastic again yesterday. After what we have been watching these last few years I resent also getting the blame for it.

RIP
18-08-2014, 06:34 AM
I often wonder what age we should start expecting players to play like men, rather than boys! I often hear us talking about players not taking responsibility, drifting in and out of games, not tracking back etc etc.

Players that are that immature should not be anywhere near the U20s let alone the first team. In any other type of football these lightweight performances would not be tolerated.

Are we too soft?

Not In The Know
18-08-2014, 06:40 AM
For what it's worth. They are both not suited to the holding midfield roll the have been allocated by Stubbs just because they are supposedly more experienced. Robertson especially with a poor first touch can't deal with the ball in congested areas. But what ever way you look at it two players who were instrumental in our relegation last season played key rolls in our defeat today.

One thing is for sure this is a huge test for the board before the end of the transfer window. If they don't add at the very minimum one (should be 2) quality players they really are taking the piss out the fans and gambling on winning a spot in the playoffs.

As as usual we do our bit and they bleed us dry.

Cameron1875
18-08-2014, 06:59 AM
Robertson has never recovered from the injuries he had at Dundee Utd + his awful spell at Blackpool.

Think his failure in England has really shattered the lads confidence in his ability.

Could be here all day with Craig.
A player who has only played for diddy clubs in the past and can't handle playing for a team that has more than a man and his dug turning up every saturday.
Highest pressure games he'd be used to are St Johnstone v Dundee Utd/Falkirk v Pars. Bugger all compared to an Edinburgh derby.

2 players that should be emptied in this window but failing that, January.

Centre mid is a must before the window shuts imo.

SneakersO'Toole
18-08-2014, 07:04 AM
The abuse Craig is getting is unmerited I think. His penalty miss was a shocker but apart from that he did okay. Robertson on the other hand is a bombscare. Suppose to be setting an example but his lack of discipline and composure both on and off the ball was terrible. He let himself, his team mates and the club down yesterday.

i agree with Ozy that the 3 players in front of these two need help. Stanton needs dropped, plain as. Harris will get there I'm sure and I'm prepared to be patient with Handling given his performance at Ibrox. But certainly he is on last chance saloon this season.

allezsauzee
18-08-2014, 07:32 AM
Robertson has never recovered from the injuries he had at Dundee Utd + his awful spell at Blackpool.

Think his failure in England has really shattered the lads confidence in his ability.

Could be here all day with Craig.
A player who has only played for diddy clubs in the past and can't handle playing for a team that has more than a man and his dug turning up every saturday.
Highest pressure games he'd be used to are St Johnstone v Dundee Utd/Falkirk v Pars. Bugger all compared to an Edinburgh derby.

2 players that should be emptied in this window but failing that, January.

Centre mid is a must before the window shuts imo.

That wee diddy club that won the Scottish Cup, finished top half of the SPL and played in Europe? They were finishing above us and pumping us regularly with Liam Craig in the team. Craig and Robertson are both SPL standard players. it's unlikely we are going to be signing better players than them this season.

MWHIBBIES
18-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Didn't hear any booing and moaning from the stand at Tynecastle yesterday. Absolutely no negativity whatsoever. It's not the fans at fault here. Our fans were fantastic again yesterday. After what we have been watching these last few years I resent also getting the blame for it.Give it 15 minutes of the Falkirk game, if we aren't 2-0 up and cruising it will start. Moans and groans after the odd poor pass, panic if the opposition create a chance, abuse if someone isn't playing well. I understand the fans frustration but abusing players after only 3 games of a new season is pathetic and it isn't going to make them play better.

Pretty Boy
18-08-2014, 07:52 AM
Give it 15 minutes of the Falkirk game, if we aren't 2-0 up and cruising it will start. Moans and groans after the odd poor pass, panic if the opposition create a chance, abuse if someone isn't playing well. I understand the fans frustration but abusing players after only 3 games of a new season is pathetic and it isn't going to make them play better.

So your criticising people on something you think might happen?

J-C
18-08-2014, 07:57 AM
I often wonder what age we should start expecting players to play like men, rather than boys! I often hear us talking about players not taking responsibility, drifting in and out of games, not tracking back etc etc.

Players that are that immature should not be anywhere near the U20s let alone the first team. In any other type of football these lightweight performances would not be tolerated.

Are we too soft?

If theyre not ready by the age of 19-20, then they'll never be ready. Stanton and handling have had quite a fair bit of time in and aroundthe 1st team now, as too Harris and they should be showing a lot more than they are doing.

MWHIBBIES
18-08-2014, 08:19 AM
So your criticising people on something you think might happen?Are you telling me this doesn't happen every week? Livi last week was a perfect example, they had a few chances at the start of the second half and then scored. People started moaning at everything that happened, Stanton especially was getting crap where I sit for apparently ''selling the Rangers game and now this one'', Gray getting grief not ''going to him'' but instead backing off and waiting for the right moment to tackle. Our fan base has became so negative in recent years and while it is impossible to blame them it certainly doesn't help the players one bit.

Pretty Boy
18-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Are you telling me this doesn't happen every week? Livi last week was a perfect example, they had a few chances at the start of the second half and then scored. People started moaning at everything that happened, Stanton especially was getting crap where I sit for apparently ''selling the Rangers game and now this one'', Gray getting grief not ''going to him'' but instead backing off and waiting for the right moment to tackle. Our fan base has became so negative in recent years and while it is impossible to blame them it certainly doesn't help the players one bit.

Tbh I've not noticed it this season and I've been at every game so far. The support yesterday and at Ibrox was outstanding. The Livi game I heard a few shouts that we could do without and there was a noticeable rise in edginess after they scored, that was more than balanced by a lot more people trying to urge the team on with about 10-15 minutes to go.

I'd agree the last few seasons, arguably as far back as Mixu, haven't been great when it comes to the 'matchday experience' but thus far this season and even towards the end of last season I've notice an improvement. A lot of the stuff posted on here over the last 24 hours is frustration at another derby defeat, I think when people start to cool off a bit they will see that we are, admittedly slowly, starting to turn in the right direction and will get behind that.

Ozyhibby
18-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Team plays well, fans are happy. Team does badly, fans not happy.
It's the same at all clubs. If it feels like it's been negative at Hibs for a while now it's because we have been consistently rubbish for a while now.

Turkish Green
18-08-2014, 09:45 AM
I admit to only watching the game via Sky Go but I thought the fans were great yesterday. I did not hear any negative shouts towards the players. This is how it should be.

Nicholson's goal was a gem but both Craig and Robertson could have prevented him getting the space on his left side. Did Nicholson actually nutmeg Robertson?

Robertson is 29 and Craig is 27. They are experienced SPL players. I cannot see them being replaced with anyone of equivalent experience. I will leave it to AS to sort out the midfield, maybe Hibs do not need both starting games against the smaller clubs in the division.

Cameron1875
18-08-2014, 09:45 AM
I know its a bit dramatic but is it wrong that I'll never forgive Craig for last season?

I can't be the only one that thinks that surely. Every misplaced pass from him just seems so much worse than any other player.

Him leading the team out every week sickens me.

Ozyhibby
18-08-2014, 09:52 AM
I know its a bit dramatic but is it wrong that I'll never forgive Craig for last season?

I can't be the only one that thinks that surely. Every misplaced pass from him just seems so much worse than any other player.

Very harsh. I think he's a decent player but no more. More than capable of being part of a team that takes us up but won't be a star player.

MWHIBBIES
18-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Tbh I've not noticed it this season and I've been at every game so far. The support yesterday and at Ibrox was outstanding. The Livi game I heard a few shouts that we could do without and there was a noticeable rise in edginess after they scored, that was more than balanced by a lot more people trying to urge the team on with about 10-15 minutes to go.

I'd agree the last few seasons, arguably as far back as Mixu, haven't been great when it comes to the 'matchday experience' but thus far this season and even towards the end of last season I've notice an improvement. A lot of the stuff posted on here over the last 24 hours is frustration at another derby defeat, I think when people start to cool off a bit they will see that we are, admittedly slowly, starting to turn in the right direction and will get behind that.Naturally at away games our fans provide a better more supportive atmosphere for the players, especially at places like Ibrox and the PBS but run of the mill league games can be a very miserable experience due to the negativity of elements of our support. Players like Craig and Robertson much be scared silly to try things in games because of how toxic Easter Road can become when things aren't going well, honestly all teams need to do is score an early goal and we are in trouble. This isn't meant to be me blaming the fans, just an observation of the negativity that is current surrounding the club and is translating onto the park. Our home form has been absolutely awful in recent years and I think this has a part to play in that.

MWHIBBIES
18-08-2014, 10:07 AM

Him leading the team out every week sickens me.I'll show up every week and support everyone wearing a Hibs strip on that pitch irrelevant to their performances last week, last season or 10 years ago. What did Craig do that was so shameful last season? He always have his best and scored 9 goals for us, he didn't ask to be captain and he is probably as sick as the rest of us about how the season went.

Alex Trager
18-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Personally I feel like handling has been a revelation in his current position. I think it is utterly astounding you have called him
Up for his work rate yesterday. Felt like it was second to none.

He is linking up the play well in that position. He looks a completely different player from previous seasons.

Harris, never got fed very much yesterday but even then I feel
Like he is also much improved. He is going into tackles and moving with the ball well at times.

Stanton has went off the boil. Maybe would be good to get him out the team for a wee while. I don't know what the best solution would be with him

Expecting Rain
18-08-2014, 10:29 AM

Sorry but these two guys in the centre of midfield are the main problem, one is a liability and a headless chicken and the other does little to affect any game i see him, you could add Stevenson, those three would never be in my first eleven.

Ozyhibby
18-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Handling's job is to be creative in and around the box, create and take chances himself and support Farid. I can remember only once in the game where he actually went past Farid and he earned us a penalty. You would think that would encourage him to try it more often.

IWasThere2016
18-08-2014, 10:34 AM
We're 3 or 4 signings shy of where we should be...

Turkish Green
18-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Here is my question: does AS need to play BOTH Craig and Robertson in games against the 'lesser' teams in the championship. Surely leaving a defensive midfielder on the bench would allow another striker to assist El Alagui. It will be interesting to see the starting XI against Falkirk.

1two
18-08-2014, 11:25 AM
I thought Craig had a decent game

Robertson worked hard but was poor.

If go as far as say stubs was at fault because Robertson should have been subbed off earlier

We're definitely lacking a creative attacking midfielder

Hopefully that's what Scott Allan is going to bring but i agree with the OP. Harris/Stanton/Harris aren't ready - yet.

The_Horde
18-08-2014, 11:49 AM
I think Harris will be amazing for us this season. He needs to make more runs and using his pace instead of coming short but that'll come.

Handling has been good 'in the hole' in pre season and against the rangers. He was anonymous yesterday but to be honest that's probably the worst position you can play at tynecastle as it's always so crowded in there especially with the tight pitch.

Better players than him have gone missing playing in that position at Tynie. I just don't understands why managers keep playing people there? Chuck someone else in midfield or somebody else up top with the big man.

Ozyhibby
18-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Here is my question: does AS need to play BOTH Craig and Robertson in games against the 'lesser' teams in the championship. Surely leaving a defensive midfielder on the bench would allow another striker to assist El Alagui. It will be interesting to see the starting XI against Falkirk.

We are not that good that we could change change formation and go gung-ho against the lesser teams.

silverhibee
18-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Give it 15 minutes of the Falkirk game, if we aren't 2-0 up and cruising it will start. Moans and groans after the odd poor pass, panic if the opposition create a chance, abuse if someone isn't playing well. I understand the fans frustration but abusing players after only 3 games of a new season is pathetic and it isn't going to make them play better.

Nonsense, haven't noticed any of that this new season at the games.

silverhibee
18-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Are you telling me this doesn't happen every week? Livi last week was a perfect example, they had a few chances at the start of the second half and then scored. People started moaning at everything that happened, Stanton especially was getting crap where I sit for apparently ''selling the Rangers game and now this one'', Gray getting grief not ''going to him'' but instead backing off and waiting for the right moment to tackle. Our fan base has became so negative in recent years and while it is impossible to blame them it certainly doesn't help the players one bit.

Never heard any of that crap last week, or are you just making it up.

Either pull the muppets up or move seat, there is plenty empty ones.

silverhibee
18-08-2014, 04:21 PM

Not just you. :aok:

MWHIBBIES
18-08-2014, 04:29 PM

Either pull the muppets up or move seat, there is plenty empty ones.Ah, you never heard it, can't have happened then I must be talking pish.

silverhibee
18-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Ah, you never heard it, can't have happened then I must be talking pish.

:agree:

SunshineOnLeith
18-08-2014, 04:42 PM

Either pull the muppets up or move seat, there is plenty empty ones.

I didn't hear any of those specific examples but heard plenty of moaning last week, people screaming 'get the ball forward FFS!' whenever Liam Craig opted to pass to Hanlon rather than do a 13/14 vintage chest and punt being a prime example.