PDA

View Full Version : The Alan Stubbs way of thinking

HoboHarry
16-08-2014, 05:17 AM
Loved the quote in the fifth paragraph about how our approach will be different to what it has been in the past .. God I hope he is right and we tear the Maroon Balloons a new erse***e on Sunday.......

bingo70
16-08-2014, 05:18 AM
Got a link?

HoboHarry
16-08-2014, 05:20 AM
Whoopsie, sorry - here it is...

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/alan-stubbs-discusses-cancer-gazza-and-hibs-1-3511570

bingo70
16-08-2014, 05:57 AM
Loved the quote in the fifth paragraph about how our approach will be different to what it has been in the past .. God I hope he is right and we tear the Maroon Balloons a new erse***e on Sunday.......

Totally agree.

None of this just another game pish that we normally hear.

BT58
16-08-2014, 06:34 AM
Excellent article ....
If he can install his steel and determination into the team we wont be far off at end of season . Hope the players dont see his Bruce Rioch side too often !!!!

Libby Hibby
16-08-2014, 06:43 AM
Great interview and like the TV interviews he gives, Alan Stubbs came across very well!! He speaks sense, with humour and certainly know how he wants his teams to play (and dare I say it, he gets what being a Hibby is about). He doesn't speak in cliches, he just talks honestly and passionately.

I think I'm in love haha

weecounty hibby
16-08-2014, 07:05 AM
Fantastic interview. Reminds me so much of Tony Mowbray.

Spike Mandela
16-08-2014, 07:41 AM

Agreed wch, certainly the most inspiring sounding manager since Mowbray. Fingers crossed this translates to the players. Starting Sunday.

iwasthere1972
16-08-2014, 08:06 AM
A go there to win attitude.

Really looking forward to tomorrow.

Please Hibs just do it.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Alan Stubbs, absolute gent.

MountcastleHibs
16-08-2014, 08:29 AM

Let's hope he doesn't have the record Tony Mowbray had in derbies!

#FromTheCapital
16-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Let's hope he doesn't have the record Tony Mowbray had in derbies!

Mowbrays derby record was pretty decent if I remember correctly. Especially when you consider that he was in charge when hearts finished 2nd in the league.

NAE NOOKIE
16-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Good interview .... I like his approach and the way he talks about life in general, this sounds like a man who thinks life has given him a second chance and is determined to make the most of it on and off the pitch.

I mentioned in another thread that having Levin and Neilson in charge gave the Yams an advantage tomorrow coz of their Edinburgh derby experience, but I suppose he has mountains of experience in two of the worlds biggest derby matches, so he aint exactly going In blind.

Playing in the Merseyside derby for Everton he will know what its like to be on the losing side with the club he supports. He is going to know what tomorrow means to us, so if we do fail to win I have a funny feeling it wont be through lack of effort.

Phil D. Rolls
16-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Going into this game my players will know to my eyes exactly what a derby means.

Love that, taking personal responsibility. Like it or not, Hibs managers stand or fall on derby results. Glad to see we've got a manager that recognises that.

Greenworld
16-08-2014, 09:22 AM
http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/alan-stubbs-discusses-cancer-gazza-and-hibs-1-3511570

SanFranHibs
16-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Totally agree.

None of this just another game pish that we normally hear.

I can't recall many who have said this is just another game, including recent managers.

However, if you read what he said, although he wants to look in their eyes and know they are ready for it, that does not mean he wants them running about like headless chickens, flying into rash tackles etc. We want our players to battle hard but not turn the game itself into a battle. As he said, he knows about derbies but also finished a few knowing he had not performed his best becasue he 'played the occasion and not the game'.

I like what a previous poster said, 'Calm assurance' is what our players need.

The players must play the game and the fans make the occasion.

1-3 to the Hibs even without LG :greengrin

:flag:

bingo70
16-08-2014, 10:04 AM
I can't recall many who have said this is just another game, including recent managers.

However, if you read what he said, although he wants to look in their eyes and know they are ready for it, that does not mean he wants them running about like headless chickens, flying into rash tackles etc. We want our players to battle hard but not turn the game itself into a battle. As he said, he knows about derbies but also finished a few knowing he had not performed his best becasue he 'played the occasion and not the game'.

I like what a previous poster said, 'Calm assurance' is what our players need.

The players must play the game and the fans make the occasion.

1-3 to the Hibs even without LG :greengrin

:flag:

Pat Fenlon used to say it before every Derby.

We'd be playing it down while hearts did the opposite.

theonlywayisup
16-08-2014, 11:17 AM
:aok: Good read. I have a good feeling about Alan Stubbs.

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/alan-stubbs-discusses-cancer-gazza-and-hibs-1-3511570

emerald green
16-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Having read the Scotsman article, after what AS has gone through, if anyone deserves a bit of success in his managerial career it's him.

The_Exile
16-08-2014, 11:27 AM
If I was a player, I'd run through brick walls for him.

Ozyhibby
16-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Remember when we all said that from now on we would wait till Hibs started doing the biz on the pitch? No more listening to warm words interviews? Let's 'walk the walk' from now on?
Your all doing the same as when Butcher arrived. Let's wait till tomorrow and see what it really means.

Nice interview though.

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Mowbrays derby record was pretty decent if I remember correctly. Especially when you consider that he was in charge when hearts finished 2nd in the league.

I remember us regularly losing 4 goals to them under Mowbray. At least 3 times

#FromTheCapital
16-08-2014, 01:49 PM
I remember us regularly losing 4 goals to them under Mowbray. At least 3 times

Yes, but looking at his overall derby record in terms of wins and losses - he done ok. We did lose 4 goals on three separate occasions one season. However hearts finished second that season and it was at the height of their overspending/cheating days.

Diclonius
16-08-2014, 01:57 PM

Mowbray's record in derbies - P9 W3 D2 L4, GF11 GA19

Not too bad. Here's our managers since for comparision:

Collins: P6 W2 D1 L3, GF5 GA7

Paatelainen: P6 W2 D2 L2, GF3 GA4

Hughes: P4 W0 D2 L2, GF3 GA5

Calderwood: P4 W0 D1 L3, GF2 GA7

Fenlon: P10 W2 D3 L5, GF6 GA14

Butcher: P3 W1 D0 L2, GF3 GA5

He certainly has the best record aside from Mixu, and has won us more games and had us score more goals.

Stubbs still needs to get us "winning more than we lose" though. :aok:

Broken Gnome
16-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Mowbray's record in derbies - P9 W3 D2 L4, GF11 GA19

Not too bad. Here's our managers since for comparision:

Collins: P6 W2 D1 L3, GF5 GA

Paatelainen: P6 W2 D2 L2, GF3 GA4

Hughes: P4 W0 D2 L2, GF3 GA5

Calderwood: P4 W0 D1 L3, GF2 GA7

Fenlon: P10 W2 D3 L5, GF6 GA14

Butcher: P3 W1 D0 L2, GF3 GA5

He certainly has the best record aside from Mixu, and has won us more games and had us score more goals.

Stubbs still needs to get us "winning more than we lose" though. :aok:

Mowbray's two draws were thumpings as well. Should have won both with ease.

He was unlucky that his time coincided with the greatest *****ing of money ever seen in Edinburgh football.

Aldo
16-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Mowbray's two draws were thumpings as well. Should have won both with ease. He was unlucky that his time coincided with the greatest *****ing of money ever seen in Edinburgh football.

Indeed. 2 up in first 10 mins and 2 keeper errors from Zibi gifting them a point. We should of been 3 or 4 up before they go their goals.

yankyhibby
16-08-2014, 03:46 PM
It's hard not be moved by Alan Stubbs' philosophy and his belief in his players. My only concern is can he change the "losers" mind set and instill belief in those players who capitulated 4 times to the Jambos last season? This game is, for me, the first test of our teams mental toughness. Win it and the collective belief will soar. Lose it and the demons will return big time.

Diclonius
16-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Indeed. 2 up in first 10 mins and 2 keeper errors from Zibi gifting them a point. We should of been 3 or 4 up before they go their goals.

Mark Venus was in charge for that one.

Hermit Crab
16-08-2014, 06:22 PM

We took a few humpings at tynie from them under Mowbray.

Diclonius
16-08-2014, 06:51 PM
We took a few humpings at tynie from them under Mowbray.

On the other hand, we never lost to them at Easter Road.

oneone73
16-08-2014, 07:26 PM
It's hard not be moved by Alan Stubbs' philosophy and his belief in his players. My only concern is can he change the "losers" mind set and instill belief in those players who capitulated 4 times to the Jambos last season? This game is, for me, the first test of our teams mental toughness. Win it and the collective belief will soar. Lose it and the demons will return big time.
Paddy went five unbeaten the season before. We can do it again.

Kato
16-08-2014, 08:39 PM
On the other hand, we never lost to them at Easter Road.

Considering the money * they were spending at the time that's pretty remarkable.

*other people's