PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Guests

J-C
06-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Could the admin please do something about the amount of guest on the site right now, last night and also this morning the site is crashing due to database problem at the moment there is 542 members and 1711 guests :confused:

easty
06-08-2014, 09:38 AM
GTGTF (get the guests tae ****!)

WeeRussell
06-08-2014, 11:31 AM
It's because hun(excuse the pun)dreds of Kickback members need to come on to Hibs.net and then report back to Kickback that Hibs.net have closed to guests again and then post pictures of people making faces and write "pleasing" to each other.

Iggy Pope
06-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Could the admin please do something about the amount of guest on the site right now, last night and also this morning the site is crashing due to database problem at the moment there is 542 members and 1711 guests :confused:

Limited as my knowledge is, I am sure the Admin team need guests to keep the site viable and attract advertisers as well as new users and god help us, Private Members.
We were all guests at some time or another, including you.

Golden Bear
06-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Is it not a case that everyone is a guest outwith the Private Members? Can we therefore presume that a large proportion of the guests will in fact be fellow Hibs supporters?

Ross4356
06-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Is it not a case that everyone is a guest outwith the Private Members? Can we therefore presume that a large proportion of the guests will in fact be fellow Hibs supporters?

Can't be

SanFranHibs
06-08-2014, 12:26 PM
If the server can't handle about 1800 connections time to upgrade the technology and not boot people off.

What's next? 'Take a ticket please and look out for your number' :wink:

DaveF
06-08-2014, 12:29 PM
If the server can't handle about 1800 connections time to upgrade the technology and not boot people off.

What's next? 'Take a ticket please and look out for your number' :wink:

It can handle that easily. Not sure what the issue was this morning, we are checking it with the hosts.

Last night we did boot guests during the updates but that's only ever done to preserve the board for our membership.

SanFranHibs
06-08-2014, 12:34 PM
It can handle that easily. Not sure what the issue was this morning, we are checking it with the hosts.

Last night we did boot guests during the updates but that's only ever done to preserve the board for our membership.

I never really suspected it could not handle it...was just joking. However, I will ask you one question whilst we are on this subject. After some games last year, especially after a dreadful performance, (Sorry I can't narrow it down for you), you enforced signing on? Happened a few times. If the server can handle the numbers easily what was the purpose?

Cheers and hey....my number is showing on window 4. My turn :wink:

Turkish Green
06-08-2014, 12:35 PM

I asked this question previously and never got a definitive answer...

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?287353-Who-Are-All-Our-Guests&p=4105222&highlight=#post4105222

In theory, Admin could restrict access to members only (i.e. need to use password), especially on match days,

DaveF
06-08-2014, 12:46 PM
I never really suspected it could not handle it...was just joking. However, I will ask you one question whilst we are on this subject. After some games last year, especially after a dreadful performance, (Sorry I can't narrow it down for you), you enforced signing on? Happened a few times. If the server can handle the numbers easily what was the purpose?

Cheers and hey....my number is showing on window 4. My turn :wink:

I'm not the techy bod so no bleedin' idea. I just know its a decent box we sit on :greengrin

However, the numbers on here get very high during match days (especially away games) and thousands of people refreshing the same page does not bode well, hence the reason for turfing out guests.

I'd suggest you (respectfully) leave it with our techno geek....

marinello59
06-08-2014, 12:47 PM
I asked this question previously and never got a definitive answer...

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?287353-Who-Are-All-Our-Guests&p=4105222&highlight=#post4105222

In theory, Admin could restrict access to members only (i.e. need to use password), especially on match days,

Our server should easily dealt with the traffic over the past few days. Investigations ongoing as to what went wrong.
We already restrict access at periods of particularly high demand. Some of the clever Admins (not me) know what they are doing. :greengrin

SanFranHibs
06-08-2014, 12:58 PM
I'm not the techy bod so no bleedin' idea. I just know its a decent box we sit on :greengrin

However, the numbers on here get very high during match days (especially away games) and thousands of people refreshing the same page does not bode well, hence the reason for turfing out guests.

I'd suggest you (respectfully) leave it with our techno geek....

It's no big deal. Only takes a few seconds. I had thought it is to control the bandwidth as the data transfer must get pretty high when we are all on at one time blowing a fuse. It is not a massive site but on matchdays a lot of pages (threads) are constantly loaded and reloaded and then Steve is on hogging it all with his gif's :wink:

Thanks for the response.

Mikey
06-08-2014, 01:00 PM
As previously mentioned the kit can easily handle the normal running load but when we have 2-3000 people hitting F5 every few seconds at 4.40 on a Saturday afternoon we sometimes restrict access to guests and even registered users. Only Private Members can be guaranteed access at these times as they contribute to paying the bills!

There does seem to be something going on just now though and it's being investigated.

Mikey
06-08-2014, 01:01 PM
and then Steve is on hogging it all with his gif's :wink:

Indeed :wink:

Ross4356
07-08-2014, 07:22 AM
Only Private Members can be guaranteed access at these times as they contribute to paying the bills!

We all contribute to paying the bills, the more people on the site the more you's can charge for advertising as stated by yourself when you thanked the Hearts fans for being on our site so much last year

DaveF
07-08-2014, 09:58 AM
We all contribute to paying the bills, the more people on the site the more you's can charge for advertising as stated by yourself when you thanked the Hearts fans for being on our site so much last year

PM's pay their money so they have priority when, at those limited times, the server is under load. Not an uber poster thing, just a fact.

We don't set rates for advertising as far as I know. Income from that is generated on page impressions \ hits or something like that.

Hibby 2005
07-08-2014, 10:19 AM

Sorry, just seen this.

I'm a Hibs Net member but got booted from the Rangers game updates despite logging in quite a few times. It did save me from hearing the result I guess.

NAE NOOKIE
07-08-2014, 10:44 AM
For me its encouraging to know that so many people are interested in the goings on at Hibs. Even if some of them are Yams :greengrin

GreenLake
07-08-2014, 11:29 AM
As previously mentioned the kit can easily handle the normal running load but when we have 2-3000 people hitting F5 every few seconds at 4.40 on a Saturday afternoon we sometimes restrict access to guests and even registered users. Only Private Members can be guaranteed access at these times as they contribute to paying the bills!

There does seem to be something going on just now though and it's being investigated.

I just tried F5 to see what it does and nothing happened. Must be a PC thing.

Mikey
07-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Sorry, just seen this.

I'm a Hibs Net member but got booted from the Rangers game updates despite logging in quite a few times. It did save me from hearing the result I guess.

Can't see anything to suggest that you've ever been a PM :dunno:

--------
07-08-2014, 12:14 PM

Glad to hear this. Mikey - there are nearly 1200 'guests' on the board right now.

And unless I've missed something, there's absolutely nothing going on, nothing to see at all.

bobbyhibs1983
07-08-2014, 12:26 PM
I know when i come onto hibs .net i tend to come on as a guest(i do not log in)
I know for myself that i tend to browse the threads so to speak and if i see a thread that i would like to comment on i sign in and comment!!

a bit off topic here but i ve seen the pm/private memeber thing mentioned a few times.
may i ask what is invovled in this and how much it costs?

--------
07-08-2014, 12:29 PM
I know when i come onto hibs .net i tend to come on as a guest(i do not log in)
I know for myself that i tend to browse the threads so to speak and if i see a thread that i would like to comment on i sign in and comment!!

a bit off topic here but i ve seen the pm/private memeber thing mentioned a few times.
may i ask what is invovled in this and how much it costs?

Basically £10 a year, and you get access to the PM board and the fuzzy warm glow of knowing that you've contributed a little something to the continuing financial stability of the forum.

But 1200 folks ain't just browsing the thread like you're talking about.

SOMETHING IS GOING ON. I SMELL *****.

bobbyhibs1983
07-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Basically £10 a year, and you get access to the PM board and the fuzzy warm glow of knowing that you've contributed a little something to the continuing financial stability of the forum.

Ok thank you for the info, i guess the pm board is where the people in the know go huh?:greengrin

as for what you are smelling i would recommend getting a few pegs(us hibs fans sell them you know) and sticking it on your nose!!

I guess some of the numbers would be our neighbours *spies* so to speak and well you just gotta pitty them ..I mean going onto a rivals board i mean, dont they have anything better to do?thus why you should point and laugh and prob then pity them:greengrin

Turkish Green
07-08-2014, 01:15 PM
As of 14:00 hrs:
There were 1864 users (403 members & 1281 guests) on .net
Over on Sickpack there were 1336 uses (588 members & 611 guests,)

Surely we do not have a reciprocal agreement for Guests.

silverhibee
07-08-2014, 01:35 PM

The yams over on kickback are betting on who will be launched next from here, that's what is going on. :tee hee:

lord bunberry
07-08-2014, 01:51 PM
The yams over on kickback are betting on who will be launched next from here, that's what is going on. :tee hee:

None of them will pay up

bobbyhibs1983
07-08-2014, 01:55 PM
None of them will pay up

now now M'lord you do realise monopoly money doesn't count as legal tender right?:greengrin

Anyow the big teams fans, all there moneys going into buying hearts shares you know.
You know you can buy hearts shares for £20, current value 0:na na:

SteveHFC
07-08-2014, 01:59 PM

Link? :greengrin

DaveF
07-08-2014, 03:09 PM

I've had some inside info that you are the favourite :wink:

SteveHFC
07-08-2014, 03:10 PM

What about myself? :wink:

silverhibee
07-08-2014, 03:25 PM

That wouldn't surprise me. :wink:

FranckSuzy
07-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Let's start a competition called 'The Xpelled Factor ' and let the posters vote for who we think should be next out :tee hee:

SteveHFC
07-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Let's start a competition called 'The Xpelled Factor ' and let the posters vote for who we think should be next out :tee hee:

I'll be top of the list due to my annoying gifs :D