PDA

View Full Version : Fringe 2014

hibbybob
02-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Don't have much booked this year but kicked off with Forth On The Fringe comedy gala at the Playhouse last night.

it's a good way to see snippets of about 12 acts and if something stands out you can always go to the Fringe show.

Stand out by miles was Andrew Maxwell. Hilarious from start to finish and would especially appeal to the locals as he did a brilliant bit on Leith Walk and its characters! He was so good that we've just booked tickets to go and see his full show tonight.

Jason Byrne, Jimeoin, Mark Watson were as good as you'd expect whilst Russell Grant (yes THAT Russell Grant) was cringeworthy bad.

Next for me is Danny Bhoy but will hopefully book more.

Anybody care to share their Fringe experiences and recommend or comment on shows they've seen?

Edit - I know Andrew Maxwell has a fondness for the Hibees but that has nothing to do with my recommendation - he was superb!

Pretty Boy
02-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Going to see One Man Breaking Bad next week.

Also off to see Riding the Midnight Express with Billy Hayes.

I'll probably go see Stephrn Carlin again, think he's free this year, always good for a laugh about life in Scotland.

Aidan Killin Jesue versus Buddha.
Another Name for Thesaurus (another New Zealans musical comedy act and described as a 'Kiwi Billy Connolly').

That's all I have planned so far.

s.a.m
02-08-2014, 11:11 AM
Look forward to it every year and love the city in August, but was amused by this :greengrin:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/edinburgh-fringe-kicks-off-annual-tosspot-migration-200908061961

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-08-2014, 11:48 AM
I've not had a Fringe for a while now!

howdenthehibby
02-08-2014, 12:32 PM
I went to the Faulty Towers Experience yesterday.Brilliant !.
Then Glen Matlock (I was a teenage Sex Pistol) at the Speigel Tent. Class !
And Finally , Jim Davidson's No further Action. One of the funniest shows ive ever seen.
T'was a great day out !

hibbybob
02-08-2014, 12:41 PM
I went to the Faulty Towers Experience yesterday.Brilliant !.
Then Glen Matlock (I was a teenage Sex Pistol) at the Speigel Tent. Class !
And Finally , Jim Davidson's No further Action. One of the funniest shows ive ever seen.
T'was a great day out !

Thanks for that. I was swithering about going to see Jim Davidson as I didn't really know what to expect. I'll now book tickets.

BroxburnHibee
02-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Was looking for a show to go to next Saturday. Jim Davidson now booked cheers.

howdenthehibby
02-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Thanks for that. I was slithering about going to see Jim Davidson as I didn't really know what to expect. I'll now book tickets.

I was the same , But now I would say this is a must see ! You will not be disappointed. He honestly does not deserve the reputation he was saddled with. He received a standing ovation including me.

patch1875
02-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Recommend Morgan & west if you like a bit magic.

MSK
02-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Don't have much booked this year but kicked off with Forth On The Fringe comedy gala at the Playhouse last night.

it's a good way to see snippets of about 12 acts and if something stands out you can always go to the Fringe show.

Stand out by miles was Andrew Maxwell. Hilarious from start to finish and would especially appeal to the locals as he did a brilliant bit on Leith Walk and its characters! He was so good that we've just booked tickets to go and see his full show tonight.

Jason Byrne, Jimeoin, Mark Watson were as good as you'd expect whilst Russell Grant (yes THAT Russell Grant) was cringeworthy bad.

Next for me is Danny Bhoy but will hopefully book more.

Anybody care to share their Fringe experiences and recommend or comment on shows they've seen?

Edit - I know Andrew Maxwell has a fondness for the Hibees but that has nothing to do with my recommendation - he was superb!Quite fancy going to see Jimeoin...is he worth going to see ..?...on tv he looks brill ..

If you haven't seen him then go for Canadian comedian Tom Stade ..(plenty stuff on you tube) ...his stuff gets better every year ..:agree:

hibbybob
03-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Quite fancy going to see Jimeoin...is he worth going to see ..?...on tv he looks brill ..

If you haven't seen him then go for Canadian comedian Tom Stade ..(plenty stuff on you tube) ...his stuff gets better every year ..:agree:

He was one of the better acts at the Radio Forth gig. I saw his full show last year and really enjoyed it. Quite visual and very clever without using bad language etc - you could take your mum ........ I did!!

I noticed that either Itison or Groupon were selling tickets last week so might be good value. (They also had tickets for Daniel Sloss - I also saw him last year and wouldn't go back).

hibbybob
03-08-2014, 12:26 AM
Andrew Maxwell: Assembly Rooms - Saw his full show this evening and enjoyed it. Quite political and centred on the referendum without taking sides! The audience were half local half tourists and I think a few of the tourists would have struggled a bit with some of the local references. However, for us locals it was great and I'd recommend going. Some great, accurate and very funny Edinburgh references. 8/10

MSK
03-08-2014, 09:54 AM
He was one of the better acts at the Radio Forth gig. I saw his full show last year and really enjoyed it. Quite visual and very clever without using bad language etc - you could take your mum ........ I did!!

I noticed that either Itison or Groupon were selling tickets last week so might be good value. (They also had tickets for Daniel Sloss - I also saw hime last year and wouldn't go back).Cheers Bob ..not too keen on Sloss tbh ..heard he had a bit of a set to with a few of his audience last year over his show content ..or something like that, is meant to be a bit gobby ..

hibbybob
03-08-2014, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=hibbybob;4114787]He was one of the better acts at the Radio Forth gig. I saw his full show last year and really enjoyed it. Quite visual and very clever without using bad language etc - you could take your mum ........ I did!!

I noticed that either Itison or Groupon were selling tickets last week so might be good value. (They also had tickets for Daniel Sloss - I also saw hime last year and wouldn't go back).QUOTE]Cheers Bob ..not too keen on Sloss tbh ..heard he had a bit of a set to with a few of his audience last year over his show content ..or something like that, is meant to be a bit gobby ..

When I was there he had a go at an audience member for filming on his phone. Fair enough, he wouldn't want his current act broadcast on youtube, but he handled the situation very poorly and in a confrontational manner which left the rest of the audience feeling very uncomfortable. Definitely not recommended.

Speedy
03-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Saw James Acaster the other night, was disappointed. He was really good last year but this year was just ok.

I'm going to see Joel Dommett, Danny Bhoy, Iain Stirling and Abandoman over the next week.

TRC
04-08-2014, 09:48 AM
If you like jazz Lillian boutte at the outhouse is amazing

TRC
04-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Must say even if you don't like jazz she is still a fantastic performer

Speedy
06-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Saw James Acaster the other night, was disappointed. He was really good last year but this year was just ok.

I'm going to see Joel Dommett, Danny Bhoy, Iain Stirling and Abandoman over the next week.

Abandoman were good.

Joel Dommett was brilliant.

Stayed at that venue for Luisa Omielan after as well. She was pretty good for a freebie.

BroxburnHibee
10-08-2014, 04:38 PM
Jim Davidson was excellent so thanks for the recommendation.

Had me (and many others I expect) in tears of laughter a few times and he did go into his 'year of hell' which was were the jokes died down a bit but still fascinating. It clearly has had a profound effect on him.

Never realised he had such a proud Scottish history as well :greengrin

Well worth it.