PDA

View Full Version : Tom Gardiner

BOB MARLEYS DUG
06-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Young centre back... How did he perform yesterday?

Smartie
06-07-2014, 12:06 PM
First time I'd seen him and I thought he did well.

Not tested hugely but coped with everything that was thrown at him.

Good to see centre-backs get their heads up and try to find feet rather than "hoofing" and he seemed comfortable playing this way.

Leitherhibs
06-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Won a lot in the air against vale's man mountain centre forward, communicated well with nelson. Was fairly impressive and he can pass a ball.

Jonnyboy
06-07-2014, 07:31 PM
Did well and was talked through his 45 minutes by Michael Nelson

JoeT_WasTheBest
06-07-2014, 08:29 PM

:bitchy:

:wink::duck:

Number69
06-07-2014, 08:37 PM

That's good to hear, Nelson may be a big influence on our youth so hopefully people will stop writing him off at every opportunity.

oconnors_strip
06-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Tom was his usual cool, calm self and not troubled at all. I'm a big fan of his after watching him develop last season in east of scotland and under 20s.

He is a very nice lad aswell, loves playing for hibs!

edwards
06-07-2014, 08:47 PM
That's good to hear, Nelson may be a big influence on our youth so hopefully people will stop writing him off at every opportunity.

Write him off :confused: everyone on here wanted him punted surely Stubbs is looking for a replacement to play with either hanlon or forster in the centre. He was one of the players i was hoping would get released to slow. :agree:

Tom Hart RIP
06-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Write him off :confused: everyone on here wanted him punted surely Stubbs is looking for a replacement to play with either hanlon or forster in the centre. He was one of the players i was hoping would get released to slow. :agree:

I was speaking to Gary Mckay recently. He had been at an under 20s game when Nelson was regaining fitness after his cheek injury. Mckay reckoned that Nelson's attitude was excellent and he talked all the youngsters through the game. It's not often that I've heard him praise a Hibs player but Nelson certainly impressed him that night.
He said that he found it unusual for a senior player to take such a game seriously.

B.H.F.C
06-07-2014, 09:16 PM
I was speaking to Gary Mckay recently. He had been at an under 20s game when Nelson was regaining fitness after his cheek injury. Mckay reckoned that Nelson's attitude was excellent and he talked all the youngsters through the game. It's not often that I've heard him praise a Hibs player but Nelson certainly impressed him that night.
He said that he found it unusual for a senior player to take such a game seriously.

I remember watching McPake in an under 20s derby up at Newtongrange. It was pretty clear he would rather have been anywhere else. He was still club captain at the time and I remember thinking his attitude was really poor in not helping the young boys around him. Contrast that to Nelson yesterday who tried to speak folk through the game. Never doubted Nelson's professionalism or attitude, it's just his defending that concerns me.

On Gardiner, I quite liked the look of him. Hard to judge him against VOL where he was t really tested but I thought he looked comfortable with the ball and won the majority of his headers.

hibbysam
06-07-2014, 09:38 PM
I remember watching McPake in an under 20s derby up at Newtongrange. It was pretty clear he would rather have been anywhere else. He was still club captain at the time and I remember thinking his attitude was really poor in not helping the young boys around him. Contrast that to Nelson yesterday who tried to speak folk through the game. Never doubted Nelson's professionalism or attitude, it's just his defending that concerns me.

On Gardiner, I quite liked the look of him. Hard to judge him against VOL where he was t really tested but I thought he looked comfortable with the ball and won the majority of his headers.

I have to completely disagree with comments about mcpake... Maybe that night he was, but I watched him the three or four games he played on his comeback, including one against willie gros against killie... And he spoke very well to the rest of the team and other centre half in how to deal with gros, when defending corners and throw ins, where they should be in relation to others etc etc I thought he took the games very seriously indeed, not sure if he maybe had an off day the day you mention.

FromTheCapital
06-07-2014, 09:40 PM
I would rather see Nelson given some form of coaching role instead of him being a player. Favourably, he wouldn't be at the club at all in my opinion but I would definitely rather play Forster, Hanlon, another young CB or a new one if Stubbs decides to bring one in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winston Ingram
06-07-2014, 09:40 PM

I'd rather he wasn't. The man hid in our relegation battle and on top of that, his style of play is something i don't want passed on to any of our younger players

Charnley 4
06-07-2014, 10:00 PM
I would rather see Nelson given some form of coaching role instead of him being a player. Favourably, he wouldn't be at the club at all in my opinion but I would definitely rather play Forster, Hanlon, another young CB or a new one if Stubbs decides to bring one in.

Coaching role?? You must be kidding me.

FromTheCapital
06-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Coaching role?? You must be kidding me.

I said I would rather him as a coach than a player but would prefer him away from the club completely.

Charnley 4
06-07-2014, 10:15 PM
I said I would rather him as a coach than a player but would prefer him away from the club completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I know but just because he is of age that he could be coach does not mean it would be a good idea. The guys pinball-launch style of football would be horrendous being passed onto youngsters.

FromTheCapital
06-07-2014, 10:16 PM
I know but just because he is of age that he could be coach does not mean it would be a good idea. The guys pinball-launch style of football would be horrendous being passed onto youngsters.

I understand your point about technical ability but in terms of being a leader and showing young centre back's the ropes, I don't think he'd be all that bad. Wouldn't have anywhere near the team though!

Charnley 4
06-07-2014, 10:22 PM
I understand your point about technical ability but in terms of being a leader and showing young centre back's the ropes, I don't think he'd be all that bad. Wouldn't have anywhere near the team though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Hopefully he won't be but I think he will be around until end of his contract. He certainly has experience and leadership qualities so I guess with some very young lads in squad guess this could be an asset :agree:

FromTheCapital
06-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Take his mentality and leadership but not his ability and footballing brain haha

tamig
06-07-2014, 10:26 PM
I'd rather he wasn't. The man hid in our relegation battle and on top of that, his style of play is something i don't want passed on to any of our younger players

Did he? Who didn't hide then in your opinion? Butcher and Malpas had stripped the whole side of confidence as the season wore on. Nelson didn't show the no nonsense type of form he displayed earlier in the season but I'd never accuse him of hiding. Launching long diagonals is clearly not his forte, but I suspect it wasn't his idea to play that way. As a few have said already, he was very influential yesterday.

dp00
06-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Nelson from what I can make out is a good pro who will be good to have around the club.... Just like maybury was

macd123
06-07-2014, 10:39 PM

He didn't hide, he was our main playmaker, sitting at the back launching balls up to our target men harris and heffernan.

In all seriousness we might need him this year. We all know he is slow but he can still defend. Pretty much since i can remember hibs have been terrible at set pieces and have had a bad habit of conceding from late corners in derbies. We started to turn that around and actually become a threat at set plays with nelson, hanlon, forster and collins.

It would be great if we could play good football but keep some competitiveness in that area.

southern hibby
07-07-2014, 08:36 AM
As it pains me to say it but Nelson is far to slow. As much as he talks the lads through a game and tries to nurture them, this does not make him a faster player.

If he does coach the younger lads as some on here have suggested ( and I don't doubt it for one second ) then he should be I'n a coaching roll and not our defence.

Sorry but having a good game ( albeit the first preseason ) does not mean he is good enough to help get us promoted. My view is if we keep him then we will see opposition teams put their faster players up against him. GGTTH

Sergio sledge
07-07-2014, 09:49 AM
I hope that Stubbs will be able to sign better than Nelson but if he can't I think that Nelson is a solid enough option in this league with Hanlon alongside him. Only 4 teams in the SPL conceded less goals than us last season and although some of the goals we conceded were amateurish, it was the lack of goals scored which was our real problem which put a huge amount more pressure on our defence than should have been there.

Charnley 4
07-07-2014, 09:58 AM
I hope that Stubbs will be able to sign better than Nelson but if he can't I think that Nelson is a solid enough option in this league with Hanlon alongside him. Only 4 teams in the SPL conceded less goals than us last season and although some of the goals we conceded were amateurish, it was the lack of goals scored which was our real problem which put a huge amount more pressure on our defence than should have been there. Nelsons issue though is his distribution. He constantly gave away possession. No matter what level, this is always going to cause problems.

Hibs07p
07-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Why has a Tom Gardiner thread been hijacked and turned into a Michael Nelson love / hate fest?

GGTTH

Smartie
07-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Nelsons issue though is his distribution. He constantly gave away possession. No matter what level, this is always going to cause problems.

His distribution was fine on Saturday when he had players wanting to take the ball off him and a manager that didn't want him to shell it up the park at the earliest opportunity.

Whether this still happens against better opposition, we'll see.

Leitherhibs
07-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Why has a Tom Gardiner thread been hijacked and turned into a Michael Nelson love / hate fest?

GGTTH

Exactly.

hibee_nation
07-07-2014, 11:23 AM

GGTTH

Because no one could put a negative spin on Tom Gardiner so they moved to the most obvious scapegoat. :agree:

worcesterhibby
07-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Great to hear Tom had a good game, even if he wasn't overly tested.

On the Nelson debate..has it over occurred to anyone that Butcher told him to punt it long and that he didn't tell the midfield to come short and take simple passes from him ? Maybe if stubbs has the Midfield offering itself we might find that nelson's distribution improves. Don't get me wrong, I realise he is no football genius, but with his height, build and experience I reckon he could still do a job for us at Championship level.

Anyway, I'll leave it to Alan Stubbs to decide, I have a funny feeling that there will be quite a few of last years failures who play a lot better this season.

eastcoasthibby
07-07-2014, 12:12 PM
I watched a fair bit of the u 20's last year and like this young lad a lot, in the way he goes about his business on the park.. switched on with his game all the time, talks, reads the game well, good timing in the tackle, passes the ball well short and long and more than holds his own in the air and its good to hear he is a nice lad I am sure his attitude on the park is matched off it ! As long as he doesn't go down the path of some of our other promising young players over the past 2-3 years who seem to think that when they are at hibs and start getting into the first team squad that they have made it !!!!! get that right out your heads boys .....and you will develop more. IMO the good young players who have broken through need to get their heads back into the fact that they still have a lot to learn and developing to go through ..handling, harris, forster, stanton, cummings, have made good progress but now is crunch time in the ages they are at to kick on or stay as they are and staying as they are will mean not playing at this level for long !! IMO. Sorry but left caldwell out as i can never see him being mobile so he has got to be an out and out goalscorer ..so he really gets himself sorted fitness, touch and workrate wise .. making himself a john sutton, chris boyd, michael higdon, type ???? big ask but would be happy with that ........ especially alongside a sharp eager jason cummings in a year or two !!!

The reality for me is that Tom Gardiner is one a few good youngsters we have developing and in terms of numbers we are doing well just that the expectations of people in respect of how many are good enough each year is not realistic ..... IMO. the new set up is geared i understand to up the numbers coming through the academy but that we need to live with what we have and i personally am not that unhappy with what we have young player wise ....

for the future could be very bright in the sense of the young team ....