PDA

View Full Version : Should the fans get a say in what the kit is like?

03-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Ok so we have all seen the new home kit and I think it's clear that the large majority of us think its an absolute shambles. So my question is, should the fans be given the opportunity to vote/share ideas with the club about what the new kit should be like. End of the day, its us that are expected to buy it so maybe the fans should be consulted with and able to give the club ideas of what WE want. I know everyone will have different opinions on what makes a good kit but I'm sure the fans could find something that most people are happy with. The mock up shirts on the previous thread got a large amount of positive comments from people.

down-the-slope
03-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Ok so we have all seen the new home kit and I think it's clear that the large majority of us think its an absolute shambles. So my question is, should the fans be given the opportunity to vote/share ideas with the club about what the new kit should be like. End of the day, its us that are expected to buy it so maybe the fans should be consulted with and able to give the club ideas of what WE want. I know everyone will have different opinions on what makes a good kit but I'm sure the fans could find something that most people are happy with. The mock up shirts on the previous thread got a large amount of positive comments from people.

No - as it would be disingenuous.

Would only be a point if we had control of design - as we are in a deal that means we only have templates then limited point (its a bit like stadium catering - we sell the contract and then have limited options on whats provided)

Only a point in having such conversation before new contracts are 'let'

sauzeelegod
03-07-2014, 05:29 PM
yes

03-07-2014, 05:32 PM
No - as it would be disingenuous.

Would only be a point if we had control of design - as we are in a deal that means we only have templates then limited point (its a bit like stadium catering - we sell the contract and then have limited options on whats provided)

Only a point in having such conversation before new contracts are 'let'

I get that but obviously the club have SOME say in what its like. Hibs have obviously told the manufacturer that they want this years shirt to be in tribute to the famous 5.

Keith_M
03-07-2014, 05:52 PM
I get that but obviously the club have SOME say in what its like. Hibs have obviously told the manufacturer that they want this years shirt to be in tribute to the famous 5.

Do you really believe that?

Phil D. Rolls
03-07-2014, 06:08 PM

Its not quite clear at all. I am fed up with people saying they speak for the majority of fans, with absolutely nothing to back up their self appointed authority.

Let's see how well the strip sells.

marinello59
03-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Its not quite clear at all. I am fed up with people saying they speak for the majority of fans, with absolutely nothing to back up their self appointed authority.

Let's see how well the strip sells.

We shifted the down the slope one in large numbers despite it getting a less than warm welcome here. We even managed to shift a good few of those bright yellow away ones of a few years ago. It will sell OK. Kids ain't as cynical as the grown men on here throwing a wobbly over it
and will want it.

Phil D. Rolls
03-07-2014, 06:25 PM
We shifted the down the slope one in large numbers despite it getting a less than warm welcome here. We even managed to shift a good few of those bright yellow away ones of a few years ago. It will sell OK. Kids ain't as cynical as the grown men on here throwing a wobbly over it
and will want it.

I am dreading the announcement of the new menu for the pie stand.

Hibbyradge
03-07-2014, 06:26 PM
How should Hibs consult the fans for their opinions.

Which fans should be consulted? Online fans? Season ticket holders only? Walk up fans? Adults only or children too?

How long should the consultation process take?

Who makes the final decision?

I can't vote until I have answers to some if not all of the above questions.

Phil D. Rolls
03-07-2014, 06:33 PM

Which fans should be consulted? Online fans? Season ticket holders only? Walk up fans? Adults only or children too?

Simply ask the vast majority. Shouldn't be hard, and they are never wrong.

jonty
03-07-2014, 06:54 PM
If you want a vote, vote with your wallet.

lord bunberry
03-07-2014, 06:56 PM

They could put a few options up on the website and we could vote for our favourite.

Speedway
03-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Grimsby made up two strips a couple of years, got a player to model them both and the fans voted on which one they wanted as that years kit.

Sounds like a good idea.

Hibercelona
03-07-2014, 06:59 PM
If you want a vote, vote with your wallet.

This.

The sad fact is, people are still willing to buy crap they don't even like, just for the sake of having it. So the strip will sell "ok". And as we know, anything thats mediocre or simply "ok" is generally accepted by the club.

07BigD
03-07-2014, 06:59 PM
They've made a big change, I like it, it gets predictable tweaking it slightly every year

heretoday
03-07-2014, 07:04 PM
No but we don't have to like it.

Jonnyboy
03-07-2014, 07:05 PM
No. Using dot net as an indicator I'd guess you'd get about 3,500 different designs and no agreement on any of them

The Pointer
03-07-2014, 07:31 PM
The more people involved the messier it gets. I used to design tops for my rugby club and it was a nightmare dealing with the other committee members wanting to put their tuppence in. You just end up with a fudge. The club should use proper designers to come up with the design concept and you hope 'they' can persuade the people who run the club to choose the right one.

In this case I refuse to believe a designer had input at any stage but think the board were all sent home one night with a suppliers catalogue and told to choose a colour.

Phil D. Rolls
03-07-2014, 07:35 PM
No. Using dot net as an indicator I'd guess you'd get about 3,500 different designs and no agreement on any of them

:agree:

CalgaryHibs
03-07-2014, 07:36 PM
-----
Sure why not ? Were the ones buying this stuff !

The Pointer
03-07-2014, 07:37 PM

That's the trouble. They've gone to the manufacturer and been told what they're getting rather than giving them a design they want made. It's like you go to an architect, you get the house you want but if you go to a builder, you get the house they want you to build.

Phil D. Rolls
03-07-2014, 07:38 PM
The more people involved the messier it gets. I used to design tops for my rugby club and it was a nightmare dealing with the other committee members wanting to put their tuppence in. You just end up with a fudge. The club should use proper designers to come up with the design concept and you hope 'they' can persuade the people who run the club to choose the right one.

In this case I refuse to believe a designer had input at any stage but think the board were all sent home one night with a suppliers catalogue and told to choose a colour.

A radical idea perhaps, but why not stick with the same strip for a number of years? I don't understand why people are so happy to be fleeced by having to buy a new strip every year.

Onion
03-07-2014, 08:26 PM

That strip is Petrie's revenge :greengrin

Wear them with pride.... minions :greengrin

ScottB
03-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Presumably the club picks from the templates available, so I don't see how it would be difficult to select some options and put them to a public vote.

I might be imagining it, but didn't Motherwell do something like that with an anniversary kit a few years ago?

In any case, it shouldn't be difficult for the club to present a couple options and ask us to vote. Makes business sense; if more of us like it, more of us will buy it.

Hiber-nation
03-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Of course they should. Not for an exact design but whether fans think a complete change from our traditional kit would be acceptable. And the answer would have been "No" and we wouldn't have had that abomination of a home kit.

baggio70
03-07-2014, 08:46 PM

When u buy ur season ticket before the 1 st July , u get to vote on 3/4 templates . Simple.

Bronson
03-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Yes.

The fans are their target market, it makes sense.

tamig
03-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Is this not the kind of thing that ever gets discussed in these Let's Work Together sessions? If not - why not?

down-the-slope
03-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Of course they should. Not for an exact design but whether fans think a complete change from our traditional kit would be acceptable. And the answer would have been "No" and we wouldn't have had that abomination of a home kit.

:rolleyes: but that was Hoops...and this 'new' strip was in fact a previous strip..... both are more 'traditional' than what we have had recent years :dunno:

Paisley Hibby
03-07-2014, 10:46 PM
When u buy ur season ticket before the 1 st July , u get to vote on 3/4 templates . Simple.

Good idea!

LaMotta
04-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Whoever had a say in the home kit this year shouldnt have a say.