PDA

View Full Version : Car buying tips

hibeenicol
17-06-2014, 03:18 PM
I'm looking at buying a new car and seen a few so far but I've never bought a car from a dealership so it's all new to me.
I know most folk say you can usually get them to reduce the price a bit so anyone got some tips before I head into the dealership sometime this week??

Stick
17-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Hi,
Just bought a car myself, and have bought around 20 over the years.

If you have no part exchange then you are in a very strong position.
Find the car that you want and then get on the net, sites like what car and Parkers to get an idea of a target price.
I always try for around 10% discount from the sticker price! and I always get it. Once I managed 15%.

If you are using there finance then remember that they get commission, so unless it is a low interest deal, your position is even stronger.

If they won't give you 10%, then accept slightly less only if they throw in free extras like free servicing and a years tax.

Always be prepared to walk away if the deal doesn't suit, there are plenty other dealers out there.

Remember that if you walk away without a discount then the salesman will be laughing at you behind your back, and he will be bragging to his mates about the mug that he screwed today.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

speedy_gonzales
17-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Remember that if you walk away without a discount then the salesman will be laughing at you behind your back, and he will be bragging to his mates about the mug that he screwed today.

Ha ha, nothing like a little goading to spur you on to strike a deal ;-)

The first time I bought a car I got my pants pulled down and spanked like a little boy, I thought the price on the windscreen was what you had to pay!!
Now I know that it's nothing more than an invitation to barter.

Do your homework, if there is 1 particular car you're after search all the available online traders for the particular car and trim level, including brokers. Find a price you are happy to pay then shop around. If it's a 'new to you' car rather than new, find as many cars with similar spec you can, explain to the dealer that you'd be willing to travel (I've travelled to Stockport for the right car). Feel free to play forecourt against forecourt, it's your money, they want it and they have to earn it.
Be honest (to a degree), my last purchase was a brand new car that was already discounted by the manufacturer as part of a national promotion, I said to the salesman that I wasn't ecstatic with the price, what more could HE do, before he answered I said he was more than welcome to speak to his manager etc etc, I wouldn't be signing that day, I wouldn't be taking any 'extras' and I'd expect a call from him during the week with his best price, He duly called with a price, and if I'm honest that price was already within my 'happy' price range, I then asked him there and then to take an extra £350 or so off that price so as to make a nice round figure to the nearest £1000,,,,,he blinked before I did and I got the deal that I was happy with. The car is now 3 years old, the same salesman has phoned me on the anniversary each year and wonders if I'm ready to buy a new car, and if so, he politely asks that I don't go back to that particular forecourt :agree: In all honesty, if i ever was in the market for a new car I would go straight back to him, as although I don't doubt they made a profit, the process was relatively painless and carried out with an open and refreshing honesty!

Sergey
17-06-2014, 09:43 PM
I bought a car this morning - not for moi, but for my mother who's car had went kaput due to an engine blow.

I'm 440 miles away from her - I saw the car online (Honda Jazz) I got 20% off the price in a cash sale.

The dealer even drove it to her home, let her test drive it and everyone seems as happy as a clam at high tide.

Cash is king when buying a motor and be prepared to walk away from a sale, even if you think it's the best price the salesman has to offer. You as the buyer hold all the aces and don't sign on the dotted until you're 100% sure you've struck the best deal.

Good luck.

hibeenicol
18-06-2014, 08:45 AM
Cheers for the advice I'm going to go along and see what I can get off them today.
I've seen a car and it's advertised at 9700 so hopefully get a some money off it.
Im thinking of part exchanging my car it's worth £2000 if I sold it private but I know I won't get that part exchange.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Stick
19-06-2014, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=speedy_gonzales;406676 goading to spur you on to strike a deal ;-)

Sorry,

Meant to say, -if you "buy"without getting a discount then the salaesman will be laughing at you.

if you think about that when negotiating then it keeps you focused.

Cheers.

hibeenicol
23-06-2014, 05:48 PM
So I bought a new car and felt I got a decent deal maybe could have tried :confused: The price I got was within my budget so put the deposit down and I pick the car up on Wednesday as long as they have fixed the points I brought up.
All in all quite an easy experience and it went smooth, hope their aftercare is just as good after I pick ther car up.

Cheers for the tips lads :greengrin