PDA

View Full Version : Davie Robb nearly a Hibby.

Spike Mandela
02-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Great article from one of football's characters.....

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/cult-hero-davie-robb-recalls-a-remarkable-career-1-3341404

Iggy Pope
02-05-2014, 03:20 PM

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/cult-hero-davie-robb-recalls-a-remarkable-career-1-3341404

A bit lost with an article dated 2nd May that references tomorrow's league cup final?

Not as lost as this deluded old fool though. Olivia Newton John and Stevie Nicks?

Spike Mandela
02-05-2014, 03:30 PM
A bit lost with an article dated 2nd May that references tomorrow's league cup final?

Not as lost as this deluded old fool though. Olivia Newton John and Stevie Nicks?

If true..........lucky sod!:greengrin

He has a lot of good things to say about Turnbull

hibbymac
02-05-2014, 03:30 PM

:confused: The article is dated 15th March 2014.

Iggy Pope
02-05-2014, 03:34 PM
:confused: The article is dated 15th March 2014.

Not when I open the link I'm afraid. Must have missed this nugget of Smith 'journalism' first time around.

Anyways. Davie Robb is obviously off his head.

hibbymac
02-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Not when I open the link I'm afraid. Must have missed this nugget of Smith 'journalism' first time around.

Anyways. Davie Robb is obviously off his head.

The date of the article is just under the photo on the right hand side.

Spike Mandela
02-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Date of article is irrelevent really? Was more interested in his talk of Turnbull and Hibs.

James70
02-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Looking at his photo now makes me suddenly feel a lot older!

Ray_
02-05-2014, 09:15 PM

I remember all the speculation at the time, in the end, when the swap fell through, Harper went for 50K. Around the same time there was talk of Colin Stein returning, this obviously didn't happen & given the hatred the Hibs fans felt towards Stein, [much more than Thomson & Murray] I don't know if it would have been a wise move, although, we were seriously short of a goal scorer for several years after Harper left.

cmcd
02-05-2014, 09:35 PM
I remember all the speculation at the time, in the end, when the swap fell through, Harper went for 50K. Around the same time there was talk of Colin Stein returning, this obviously didn't happen & given the hatred the Hibs fans felt towards Stein, [much more than Thomson & Murray] I don't know if it would have been a wise move, although, we were seriously short of a goal scorer for several years after Harper left.
Joe Mcbride and Ally Mcleod were probably the only regular goalscorers we have had up until Archibald and Wright I dont understand all the animosity towards players who move on for money Ray After all we would all do the same thing If Hibs could have been able to pay decent wages over the years we could have had a lot more success Joe Baker being a prime example of a player who wanted to stay but Hibs refused him a rise of £5 per week

Ray_
02-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Joe Mcbride and Ally Mcleod were probably the only regular goalscorers we have had up until Archibald and Wright I dont understand all the animosity towards players who move on for money Ray After all we would all do the same thing If Hibs could have been able to pay decent wages over the years we could have had a lot more success Joe Baker being a prime example of a player who wanted to stay but Hibs refused him a rise of £5 per week

We were more than OK for most of the time during the late sixties & early to mid-seventies, with Joe McBride a more than able replacement for Colin Stein. We then brought back Joe Baker to replace Joe MrBride and then came Jimmy O'Rourke & Alan Gordon's goalden period [pun intended]. It was after Harper left we struggled for a natural finisher, we tried the likes of Martin Henderson, Joe Ward, Bobby Hutchinson & Colin Campbell, without success, Ally MacLeod, although a regular scorer, was the team playmaker. It was when Irvine & Cowan came in that the goals started to flow again.

As for Stein and animosity about players leaving, back then clubs had far more power to hold on to players, so transfers to the opposition were far less likely to happen, compared to today, as England was the most likely destination. Stein turned down a 90k move to Everton to play for his childhood fav's and his hat-trick against Hibs a week later, didn't do much to help the fans understanding of the situation :). Three months later, he got the only goal in the Scottish cup tie at Ibrox, which put us out the cup at the first time of asking and that also didn't help.

PS. I forgot the charismatic Ally Scott.

Jonnyboy
02-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Looking at his photo now makes me suddenly feel a lot older!

Me too :greengrin

cmcd
03-05-2014, 08:38 AM
We were more than OK for most of the time during the late sixties & early to mid-seventies, with Joe McBride a more than able replacement for Colin Stein. We then brought back Joe Baker to replace Joe MrBride and then came Jimmy O'Rourke & Alan Gordon's goalden period [pun intended]. It was after Harper left we struggled for a natural finisher, we tried the likes of Martin Henderson, Joe Ward, Bobby Hutchinson & Colin Campbell, without success, Ally MacLeod, although a regular scorer, was the team playmaker. It was when Irvine & Cowan came in that the goals started to flow again.

As for Stein and animosity about players leaving, back then clubs had far more power to hold on to players, so transfers to the opposition were far less likely to happen, compared to today, as England was the most likely destination. Stein turned down a 90k move to Everton to play for his childhood fav's and his hat-trick against Hibs a week later, didn't do much to help the fans understanding of the situation :). Three months later, he got the only goal in the Scottish cup tie at Ibrox, which put us out the cup at the first time of asking and that also didn't help.

PS. I forgot the charismatic Ally Scott.
I forgot all about Martin Henderson Did he come from Rangers ? Scott Ward Fyfe and Hutchinson were never great players

Bearders
03-05-2014, 08:49 AM
I Scott Ward Fyfe and Hutchinson were never great players

Hutchison was a trier but team was poor. The other 3 were shocking. IIRC had Fyfe not been given the "Scottish Cruyff" tag by a section of the media following a Huns European tie.

Ray_
03-05-2014, 09:08 AM
I forgot all about Martin Henderson Did he come from Rangers ? Scott Ward Fyfe and Hutchinson were never great players

Yeah, but he was only on a three month loan deal, he obviously didn't impress enough for us to sign. A player I didn't mention when I spoke about Irvine & Cowan was obviously Gordon Durie and we had the all too brief cameo from Isak Refvik during the latter part of 1978.

Phil D. Rolls
03-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Drinking? Just think what the likes of Cruijff, Pele and Rodney Marsh could have been if they'd lived like proper sportsmen. Hardly role models for young players.