PDA

View Full Version : Red Wine

sleeping giant
10-04-2014, 11:38 PM
Right before i start i realise that certain posters will not be surprised at me starting this thread :greengrin

I also must admit that my experience of Red Wine is limited to what i can buy from Asda and what i can claim on my expenses at Hotels , so mostly house Red :tee hee:

Anyway , i have developed a strong fancy for Red Wine over the past few months and i think i have tried most of what Asda has to offer.
Out of the selection on offer i think i like Rioja , Bordeaux and Shiraz.

I would like to try a really nice one but i am unsure what to buy and also unsure if infact i can get a really nice one for what i'm prepared to pay.

So , can i get a really nice Red for say £50-£70 and where would i purchase this ?

I would obviously be more interested in anything decent for a lower amount and if you can recommend any it would be appreciated but what would be your "Christmas present" if you were buying yourself a fine wine ?

Something inside of me says i should be going for French but i went for a South Australian at my last Hotel and i really liked it.

So , can anyone recommend a decent mid priced Red wine and also an indulgent Red wine and tell me where to purchase it ?

Just to add , just done had a bottle of Asda Bordeaux reduced from £14 to £8 and its bloody lovely.

Cheers

Saorsa
11-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Right before i start i realise that certain posters will not be surprised at me starting this thread :greengrin:wink: :greengrin

Pete
11-04-2014, 02:27 AM
Right before i start i realise that certain posters will not be surprised at me starting this thread :greengrin

I also must admit that my experience of Red Wine is limited to what i can buy f'rom Asda and what i can claim on my expenses at Hotels , so mostly house Red :tee hee:

Anyway , i have developed a strong fancy for Red Wine over the past few months and i think i have tried most of what Asda has to offer.
Out of the selection on offer i think i like Rioja , Bordeaux and Shiraz.

I would like to try a really nice one but i am unsure what to buy and also unsure if infact i can get a really nice one for what i'm prepared to pay.

So , can i get a really nice Red for say £50-£70 and where would i purchase this ?

I would obviously be more interested in anything decent for a lower amount and if you can recommend any it would be appreciated but what would be your "Christmas present" if you were buying yourself a fine wine ?

Something inside of me says i should be going for French but i went for a South Australian at my last Hotel and i really liked it.

So , can anyone recommend a decent mid priced Red wine and also an indulgent Red wine and tell me where to purchase it ?

Just to add , just done had a bottle of Asda Bordeaux reduced from £14 to £8 and its bloody lovely.

Cheers

If you go into a decent wine shop you won't need to have £50 on you if you want a top notch red.

I'm no expert but once you get above the supermarket level it really is all about personal preference.

sleeping giant
11-04-2014, 02:53 AM
If you go into a decent wine shop you won't need to have £50 on you if you want a top notch red.

I'm no expert but once you get above the supermarket level it really is all about personal preference.

Not Haddows then :greengrin

hibsbollah
11-04-2014, 07:11 AM
You'll never get a definitive answer on this as its all about personal taste, its like asking whos the worlds best centre back (Dante from Bayern, obviously :greengrin )

Sounds like you like a full bodied red. Id stick to Italy Australia or France. With Italian reds the classification system is really complicated, but you cant go wrong with an Amarone or Barolo. Really full bodied intense reds best with a steak or something else heavy and 2-3 hours to breathe. They start at £20 and go way up. For Australia stick to good producers like Penfolds, their Bin range is very reliable at the top end. Grange Hermitage is their flagship wine but might be out of your price range. Its easy to buy Australian by sticking to grape varieties (cabernet sauvignon or shiraz for you probably). The year isnt that important in Oz. French and Italian wines dont usually advertise the grape variety as much so you need to rely on choosing a good vintage (look online for the best years) and regional styles. If Rioja (spain) is your favourite wine you probably like oak and vanilla, so choose something that has those flavours or is matured in oak casks.

But when you're spending 50 quid you're bound to find something really tasty. (Also, if you hate it, dont be afraid to take it back to the shop and say so. It might be oxidised and you can choose something else).

Phil D. Rolls
11-04-2014, 07:39 AM
One of the best bits of advice I have had about wine is to give it time to settle. When you're bringing it back from the shop it gets schoogled up, and so the balance of the flavours gets spoiled. By letting it stand for a couple of days it'll taste better.

oregonhibby
11-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Berry Bros and Rudd have a great website with videos about the main wine producing regions.

Also, if you are in Edinburgh go to Valvona and Crolla or Raeburn Fine wines. For £25 there are wonderful reds. Price is no guarantee but find one you like and work out from there.

Pretty Boy
11-04-2014, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't go spending £50+ on a bottle of wine unless you really know what you want.

You can get excellent wine for between £10 and £20 no problem at all. Even cheaper if you look around and get good advice in a shop as opposed to someone trying to sell you something expensive.

A couple of favourites of mine in the £10+ price bracket:

http://www.waitrosedirect.com/product/tabali-encantado-reserva-shiraz/599885

http://www.vinissimus.co.uk/en/vinos/tinto/detalle_vino.html?id_vino=selat10

Alex Trager
11-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Not Haddows then :greengrin

Does haddows still exist?

heretoday
11-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Try Majestic. They have good wine and are approachable staff. . Basically you get what you pay for in this country where wine is concerned.

heretoday
11-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Does haddows still exist?

I think there is still one at W Hailes where you have to transact your business through a gap in a wire mesh fence.

sleeping giant
11-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Cheers for the tips.

Still dont know what i'm after to be honest. Its kinda hard to look at a picture and say yeah that looks nice :greengrin

I stopped smoking a while back so i really fancy treating myself to something mighty fine.
Think i'll go in and speak to a gadgy.

Might try Oddbins at Corstorphine .

Phil D. Rolls
11-04-2014, 01:33 PM
I think there is still one at W Hailes where you have to transact your business through a gap in a wire mesh fence.

Thats a bit primitive, it's Perspex screens at Drylaw. It's not Haddows anymore though.

speedy_gonzales
11-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Is there still an Oddbins at Corstorphine? The big one at the retail park shut years ago and the small one along by Guitar Guitar is either a kitchen showroom or a spray tan shop!
Agree with Hibsbollah above, if you like the Rioja you should try a Barolo, excellent with steak and Tescos do a nice one that can be had for a tenner when on offer although it's usually around the £15 mark.

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Cheers for the tips.

Still dont know what i'm after to be honest. Its kinda hard to look at a picture and say yeah that looks nice :greengrin

I stopped smoking a while back so i really fancy treating myself to something mighty fine.
Think i'll go in and speak to a gadgy.

No Oddbins in Corstorphine mate, both long since closed.

Billy Whizz
11-04-2014, 02:49 PM
I love Spanish reds, and you know what I love it cold

sleeping giant
11-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Is there still an Oddbins at Corstorphine? The big one at the retail park shut years ago and the small one along by Guitar Guitar is either a kitchen showroom or a spray tan shop!
Agree with Hibsbollah above, if you like the Rioja you should try a Barolo, excellent with steak and Tescos do a nice one that can be had for a tenner when on offer although it's usually around the £15 mark.

This one---->http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=262047476

or this one ----->http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=252105986

Mr White
11-04-2014, 05:17 PM
James in cornelius on easter road or matty in great grog at st Leonards will give you good advice :aok:
I don't drink wine that often but I like chilean red- never had a bad bottle of chilean pino noir, merlot or carmenere.

#FromTheCapital
11-04-2014, 05:36 PM
I've really taken a liking to red and white wine in the last couple of months as well. I used to despise it. It's actually really nice, especially with food.

lapsedhibee
11-04-2014, 05:48 PM
One of the best bits of advice I have had about wine is to give it time to settle. When you're bringing it back from the shop it gets schoogled up, and so the balance of the flavours gets spoiled. By letting it stand for a couple of days it'll taste better.

:hmmm: How do you pour it without turning the flavour upside down?

Jonnyboy
11-04-2014, 07:07 PM
I love Spanish reds, and you know what I love it cold

Sacrilege :greengrin

heretoday
11-04-2014, 07:15 PM

Sadly, Oddbins has now no presence in Corsty, although the bus companies still refer to the stop as Oddbins.

There are three Oddbins stores left in Edinburgh - Elm Row, Queensferry St and Bruntsfield.

The shop in St John's Rd is now an Asian restaurant run by a chap with a colourful past.

Billy Whizz
11-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Sacrilege :greengrin

Jonnyboy, I know, but years and years of going to Spain, a hot climate and need really cold red wine. A lot of places over there keep there red wine in the fridge anyway

Jonnyboy
11-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Jonnyboy, I know, but years and years of going to Spain, a hot climate and need really cold red wine. A lot of places over there keep there red wine in the fridge anyway

Tastes good either way Billy :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Sadly, Oddbins has now no presence in Corsty, although the bus companies still refer to the stop as Oddbins.

There are three Oddbins stores left in Edinburgh - Elm Row, Queensferry St and Bruntsfield.

The shop in St John's Rd is now an Asian restaurant run by a chap with a colourful past.

I was talking to him a few weeks ago in Abida, he also owns St John's Curry club so he told me, tell me more.......................................:greeng rin

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Never been a big red wine fan, always preferred white however when we had dinner in the Pompadour Restaurant at the Caley hotel, the Sommelier matched every single one of the five courses with a different red wine and I enjoyed every single one right down to the dessert wine.

Sylar
11-04-2014, 09:54 PM
If you don't mind a wee bit of a drive, get yourself out to The Champany in Linlithgow.

They have a great range of wines available and the staff are incredibly knowledgable.

Big fan of a lovely aged Rioja (Gran Reserva) or a deep Bordeaux/Burgundy. Increasingly I've been drinking a lot of Italian reds, from primitivo's to Chianti's to Montelpuciano (sp?).

You definitely don't need to spend a lot of money on wine for it to be 'good' though - you'll find lovely bottles from £15-£45.

Having said that, the nicest bottle I ever drunk was a bottle of 2005 Bordeaux - doubt you'd get a bottle for £££ these days...

sleeping giant
11-04-2014, 10:15 PM
If you don't mind a wee bit of a drive, get yourself out to The Champany in Linlithgow.

They have a great range of wines available and the staff are incredibly knowledgable.

Big fan of a lovely aged Rioja (Gran Reserva) or a deep Bordeaux/Burgundy. Increasingly I've been drinking a lot of Italian reds, from primitivo's to Chianti's to Montelpuciano (sp?).

You definitely don't need to spend a lot of money on wine for it to be 'good' though - you'll find lovely bottles from £15-£45.

Having said that, the nicest bottle I ever drunk was a bottle of 2005 Bordeaux - doubt you'd get a bottle for £££ these days...

Just been looking at that. Do you have a particular year you would recommend ?
Seemingly , going by internet sites , 2001 was a particularly good year for Rioja (gran reserva).

Haha , hark at me :greengrin I honestly do not have a clue what i am talking about:greengrin

Might pop along to Linlithgow tomorrow as its just along the road.

Thanks

Sylar
12-04-2014, 12:06 AM
Just been looking at that. Do you have a particular year you would recommend ?
Seemingly , going by internet sites , 2001 was a particularly good year for Rioja (gran reserva).

Haha , hark at me :greengrin I honestly do not have a clue what i am talking about:greengrin

Might pop along to Linlithgow tomorrow as its just along the road.

Thanks

It all depends really - I tend to find there's no such thing as a perfect year for wines as it varies from vineyard to vineyard.

Geology, soil, microclimate, cultivation techniques, picking season etc aren't contemporaneous across vineyards and it can be hit or miss.

I had a bottle of 2005 Bordeaux a couple of years back, having chased it after how good the first one was and it wasn't anywhere near as good, despite 2005 being lauded as one of the best wine years in the Bordeaux region in recent times.

The Champany do a lovely Gran Reserva (Imperial Gran Reserva) from both 1999 and 2004 which are lovely (and around the £25-35 price range.

For any interested parties (either living down here or set for a visit to the London area), there's an excellent wine festival that takes place on the South Bank in July (Rioja Tapas Fantasticas) - a mix of tapas stalls, wine tasting/merchants in plentiful supply and expert appearances from (for example) the guys who select the wine for Saturday Kitchen, who you can do private tasting tours with, where you pay £10 and they walk you around the stalls getting you pished :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
12-04-2014, 09:26 AM
:hmmm: How do you pour it without turning the flavour upside down?

Simply drill a hole in the bottom.

Goldenacre closed?

Phil D. Rolls
12-04-2014, 09:28 AM
It all depends really - I tend to find there's no such thing as a perfect year for wines as it varies from vineyard to vineyard.

Geology, soil, microclimate, cultivation techniques, picking season etc aren't contemporaneous across vineyards and it can be hit or miss.

I had a bottle of 2005 Bordeaux a couple of years back, having chased it after how good the first one was and it wasn't anywhere near as good, despite 2005 being lauded as one of the best wine years in the Bordeaux region in recent times.

The Champany do a lovely Gran Reserva (Imperial Gran Reserva) from both 1999 and 2004 which are lovely (and around the £25-35 price range.

For any interested parties (either living down here or set for a visit to the London area), there's an excellent wine festival that takes place on the South Bank in July (Rioja Tapas Fantasticas) - a mix of tapas stalls, wine tasting/merchants in plentiful supply and expert appearances from (for example) the guys who select the wine for Saturday Kitchen, who you can do private tasting tours with, where you pay £10 and they walk you around the stalls getting you pished :greengrin

Any idea of the date. Going to see a play at the Globe, and it would be great (maybe even essential) to combine getting drunk with it.

Sylar
12-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Any idea of the date. Going to see a play at the Globe, and it would be great (maybe even essential) to combine getting drunk with it.

14th and 15th of June.

http://riojatapasfantasticas.co.uk/

There's the website for last year, which tells you all that goes on.

sleeping giant
12-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Right , went to the Champany today (thanks Sylar) but couldn't get much advice as the lady there was the hotel receptionist and the wine guy was not in until later.
So i just chanced my luck.

Went with a bottle of Capitel De Roari , Amarone 2010 (cheers Bollah) and a bottle of Rioja Bordon Gran Reserva 2005.
Anyone got any thoughts on these ?

Sending the wife out this efty for a selection of cheeses too :greengrin

Sylar
12-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Right , went to the Champany today (thanks Sylar) but couldn't get much advice as the lady there was the hotel receptionist and the wine guy was not in until later.
So i just chanced my luck.

Went with a bottle of Capitel De Roari , Amarone 2010 (cheers Bollah) and a bottle of Rioja Bordon Gran Reserva 2005.
Anyone got any thoughts on these ?

Sending the wife out this efty for a selection of cheeses too :greengrin

The 2005 Bordon Gran Reserva was what I had with my Christmas dinner last year actually and it's a lovely bottle of wine!

sleeping giant
12-04-2014, 12:42 PM
The 2005 Bordon Gran Reserva was what I had with my Christmas dinner last year actually and it's a lovely bottle of wine!

Excellent. I will look forward to having that later :thumbsup:

Nice wee place too !

Sylar
12-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Excellent. I will look forward to having that later :thumbsup:

Nice wee place too !

The food is superb - if you're a fan of meat (particularly steaks) you'll struggle to find better in the area.

Steve-O
12-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Pinot Noir from Otago, New Zealand. Get some of that down ye. My wine if choice if I am having some. There are a few different wineries but all pretty reliable from that region.

speedy_gonzales
12-04-2014, 06:31 PM
This one---->http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=262047476

or this one ----->http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=252105986 I've had both of those but prefer the second one at £14, it's this one that can be found for £9.99 when on offer,,,,Tesco Corstorphine have another Barolo on the shelves some times but not always, has an all black label but can't find it online, it's usually around the £16 mark and is also rather splendid!

sleeping giant
12-04-2014, 06:48 PM
I've had both of those but prefer the second one at £14, it's this one that can be found for £9.99 when on offer,,,,Tesco Corstorphine have another Barolo on the shelves some times but not always, has an all black label but can't find it online, it's usually around the £16 mark and is also rather splendid!

Think i just seen that in Asda in livingston. I was getting the wife some cheap rosy:greengrin and notice a Barolo on offer at £11. Couldn't justify it tonight seeing as i just spent £40 already on wine for myself today.

Got some nice cheese too:agree:

sleeping giant
12-04-2014, 06:51 PM

Quite nice :agree: Smells lovely too.:thumbsup:

sleeping giant
18-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Sitting in the garden with the 2010 Aramone :greengrin
Lovely day

Sylar
18-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Lovely day

Sounds nice - I'm still waiting to drink the bottle of 2007 Gran Reserva I got for my birthday last weekend, as I've been under the weather ever since.

We've just booked a long weekend in France/Belgium for later in the summer.

Eurostar over to Calais with the car, wee drive up to Brugge, Ypres etc and stopping in at the infamous Calais wine warehouse before heading home :greengrin

sleeping giant
18-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Sounds nice - I'm still waiting to drink the bottle of 2007 Gran Reserva I got for my birthday last weekend, as I've been under the weather ever since.

We've just booked a long weekend in France/Belgium for later in the summer.

Eurostar over to Calais with the car, wee drive up to Brugge, Ypres etc and stopping in at the infamous Calais wine warehouse before heading home :greengrin

Just moved onto a 2007 gran reserva. Wife just got it from Lidl :greengrin Baturrica Tarragona . Not expecting much tbh.

hibsbollah
18-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Lovely day

The connoisseurs would tell you you're drinking that far too young:greengrin

But whatever floats it...:drunk:

sleeping giant
18-04-2014, 06:34 PM
The connoisseurs would tell you you're drinking that far too young:greengrin

But whatever floats it...:drunk:

You recommended it Mr !

hibsbollah
18-04-2014, 07:01 PM
You recommended it Mr !

I did indeed, it's my favourite red. Four years in bottle means it will be even more concentrated and deep purple than normal, if you had a 2005 for example, it would be that bit smoother. But it all depends on your taste :aok:

hibsbollah
09-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Im having a 2009 Barolo tonight, from the home of bargains that is Lidl Craigmillar. £10.99 :aok:

Pretty Boy
09-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Accepted an offer for a new job today so just cracked open a Bollinger Special Cuvee. Got a Pol Roger chilling in the fridge as well.

Should be an enjoyable night.

sleeping giant
12-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Sitting in a hotel in York and have just purchased a god awful Merlot Pays D'OC Le Charme.
Its that crap , it doesn't have a year marked on it :greengrin
£16.99 tae :bitchy:

Steve-O
13-05-2014, 08:51 AM
http://www.cuspidor.com.au/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Rabbit-Ranch-295x300.png

Hibee87
13-05-2014, 11:02 AM
The best Red Wine (more of a black colour) is made right here in britan by some benedectine monks :greengrin

Mr White
14-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Bottle of carta roja gran reserva 2007 bought from sainsburys this evening. Reduced from £9 to £5. No idea if it's any good and I probably wont even touch it for weeks but nearly half price seemed too good to ignore :greengrin

Aldo
15-05-2014, 05:54 AM
Bottle of carta roja gran reserva 2007 bought from sainsburys this evening. Reduced from £9 to £5. No idea if it's any good and I probably wont even touch it for weeks but nearly half price seemed too good to ignore :greengrin

It's very nice SS. Sainsburys have a decent selection of wines. I usually watch out for the McGuigan estate wines as the usually have them with 4 or 5 quid off..... Usually 9 or 10 quid a bottle..

Mr White
15-05-2014, 06:26 AM
It's very nice SS. Sainsburys have a decent selection of wines. I usually watch out for the McGuigan estate wines as the usually have them with 4 or 5 quid off..... Usually 9 or 10 quid a bottle..

:aok: cheers aldo. My wifes dad likes Australian wine, often has mcguigan or wolfblass when they're on offer.

oregonhibby
15-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Just listened to Hot August Night. Red red wine go to my head........... Neil Diamond 1972 on a NAIM. He was in the room!

Tuscan Super Reds for me

Scouse Hibee
15-05-2014, 10:12 PM
What's the wine actually worth?Currently in the UK on a wine selling for £5 per bottle £2.64 is actually tax!
There are two parts to this page. Firstly explaining the con the supermarkets use to sell inferior wine, and secondly a breakdown of the actual costs of a bottle of wine where you can see who is actually making all the money, and why you really shouldn't buy £5 wine!We can all begrudge the ever increasing price of a bottle of wine, and naturally to save money we tend to look for the cheaper options. The supermarkets seem to have some great deals on - half price, reduced from £9.99 to £4.99 - that has to be a good deal, right?No!!! It is not, and here is why:Firstly for these offers to qualify legally as a genuine half price deal, the wine has to have been on sale at one branch for at least two weeks at it's "full" price. They get round this by giving it an obscure single facing on a bottom row virtually out of sight, in a remote store, at a massively falsely inflated price. After two weeks they then give it multiple facings, centre shelf nationwide at half the inflated price. Looks like a great deal, but in reality the wine is now on sale for the price it should have been in the first place. In the trade this is easy to recognise because we see the same wines from the importers at the same prices year round, routinely over inflated by the supermarkets at regular intervals. It should be illegal, but the supermarkets are experts at bending the law, and they're now so powerful the government is scared to touch them. The supermarkets work on a 35% margin on wine - this would be completely impossible with a genuine half price deal! In fact nobody makes a margin where they can genuinely offer this kind of discount. Use your head - if it looks too good to be true, it is. You are being conned.Now onto the real price of wine!I've just been looking at some wine which will cost me US$50 per case of 12 from the USA. That's $4.17 per bottle, which is roughly £2.62 per bottle. Ok, so could I retail that at £5 then? On the surface you would think so, but when you look at the horrendous UK taxes you would have to double that retail price! Most winery owners are dumbfounded when I tell them how much we have to pay. In fact although it's the winery owner who slaves away for a full year growing the grapes and making the wine, it's the Uk government who will actually benefit and "earn" about three times as much per bottle as the winery!!Let's add shipping cost from California, about 40 pence per bottle. Then let's add UK excise duty of £1.81 per bottle, plus the customs tax of 5 pence (on wine from outside the EU). This wine is now costing me £4.88 per bottle. Now let's add the VAT of 98 pence. So the wine is now costing me £5.86Now when I sell the wine I also have to charge 20% VAT and pay the VAT on the difference between cost and sales to the VAT man. So if I sell it for £8.99 and it cost me £5.86, I make a gross profit of £3.13 which is £2.61 for me, and another 52 pence for the VAT man. If I happen to make a profit at the end of the year after all my costs I then pay the Inland Revenue some corporation tax too.So the Inland Revenue have actually made: £1.86 excise duty & customs tax, plus £1.50 VAT, so £3.36 in total. I have made a (GROSS) profit of £2.58, and the winery has probably made about £1.This is obviously a massive money making exercise for the government and explains why a bottle of wine is so expensive in the UK. So how do the supermarkets offer 3 bottles for £10? Well in truth those offers are more like 3 for £11 these days so let's have a look.At £11 there is £1.83 VAT. On 3 bottles there is £5.55 excise duty (let's assume these are EU wines) which is £7.38 in total, leaving £3.62 to pay for the supermarket margin of around 35% - let's be generous and call it only £3. This leaves just 62 pence to pay for the wine, the glass bottles, the labels, the cardboard box, the transport from country of origin and UK transport. The supermarkets apply immense pressure on their suppliers, often driving them out of business. I heard last year of a deal for 24,000 cases of Pinot Grigio on which the winery would make £500! - assuming there wasn't a breakage. The problem for the winery at that scale is there aren't many customers who can take that volume, so once they are geared for large production their custom base shrinks and the supermarkets can pretty much dictate their own terms. The winery then has to choose - get rid in one job lot and make nothing, or sell in dribs and drabs and get stuck with excess stock which will badly affect the next year's capability.So what is the genuine value of the wine?Basically the wine is worth about 5 pence per bottle! Yes, that is genuine fact. It's mass produced plonk full of chemicals. The supermarket buyers are instructed to pay no more than US$0.35 cents per bottle, labelled and packed! As you can see if you spend a little more from a bona fide wine merchant, like the £8.99 example above, you will get a wine worth £2.62, approximately 53 times more than the supermarket plonk!It certainly makes you think what you're putting in your body when you drink this cheap plonk. Would you eat meat or fish which cost just 5 pence? Or would you suspect it wasn't going to be good for you.......?I recently discovered another interesting article about an "app" for iphones which calculated how much of the wine's price was actually tax. It was interesting to see at the price point of £5 per bottle that £2.64 is actually tax!