PDA

View Full Version : Ian Murray

Northernhibee
17-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Currently has Dumbarton seven points off of the playoff spot in the Championship, in the quarter final of the Scottish cup and not only that but Dumbarton are the top scorers in their league. All up against full time teams.

Outstanding achievement from a man who is only 32, I can't wait to see what he achieves in his managerial career.

Congratulations to the man.

judas
17-02-2014, 07:20 PM
It's good alright, but as you say very early doors.

We watch with interest I guess.

Jonnyboy
17-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Named Championship Manager of the Month and deservedly so. It's amazing what he's achieved and I wish him every success in the future

Jack
17-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Good luck to him and long may it continue.

Future17
17-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Yeah, well done Ian. :aok:

He'll go through some difficult times but he's an intelligent guy and has a great understanding of football so will hopefully be a success in the long run.

Squealing pig
17-02-2014, 08:37 PM
He's the man, keep up the good work loving winning aw these good bets. Home to raith at weekend , be a good price, fancy a flutter on them away to aberdeen too

Sir David Gray
17-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Keeping them in the old first division last season was a fantastic achievement, considering where they were in the league when he first took over.

To be in contention for making the play offs this season is really brilliant and he deserves a huge amount of praise for what he's done so far over the last year or so.

jacomo
17-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Butcher out...

TheFamous1875
17-02-2014, 08:49 PM
I really hope he does become Hibs' next manager. Hopefully not for a few years though! Maybe a bigger job than Dumbarton and then home?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

muzzhfc
17-02-2014, 08:55 PM
I'd like to see what he can do with a couple of teams before us. I remember one manager who used to play for us and was a captain. He only managed one club before us and it didn't really work out. Yogi was an intelegent guy/football guy according to some.

I'm more than happy with terry butcher so hopefully this won't happen for another 10-15 years or so. With tb in charge for all of those years of course

IWasThere2016
17-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Named Championship Manager of the Month and deservedly so. It's amazing what he's achieved and I wish him every success in the future

This. Well done Nid :thumbsup:

Future Hibs gaffer at this rate.

ALF TUPPER
17-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Butcher out...

Hahahaha Quality :wink:

LancsHibs
17-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Currently has Dumbarton seven points off of the playoff spot in the Championship, in the quarter final of the Scottish cup and not only that but Dumbarton are the top scorers in their league. All up against full time teams.

Outstanding achievement from a man who is only 32, I can't wait to see what he achieves in his managerial career.

Congratulations to the man.

We'll done IM, watching his progress with interest. Good luck to the Sons this season .
From my understanding Dumbarton are only missing out on a play off spot by goal difference to QOS??

hfc rd
17-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Done an excellent job up there. Hope he keeps up the good work and one day becomes our manager. Hibee through and through.

NOLA
17-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Beginners luck :greengrin in saying that hes doing an excellent job, can see a bigger club making a move for him by next season, by then he might have took dumbarton as far as he can.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-02-2014, 11:44 PM
He will be Hibs manager one day:agree:

The Sea-gull
18-02-2014, 09:22 AM
He's doing a great job but still early days yet. Think the key for Murray now is to time his next move well ala Paul Hartley. It is no use in him staying at Dumbarton forever more as they could easily end up back down the divisions quite quickly, he gets sacked for not meeting fans' now heightened expectations and he is back at square one having to take a job at another Dumbarton-type club.

I'm hoping and expecting we'll have big Terry for a long time but if we did need to appoint another manager in the short to medium term then I don't think it would be wise to take Ian Murray direct from Dumbarton unless he gets them into the Premier and does well with them there but I can't see that.

Murray needs to go next to a Falkirk or a Hamilton or a smaller SPL team if he can manage to get a gig at one and see how he gets on there before he should be thinking about Hibs and vice versa.

I suspect Hartley has plotted his move to Dundee and it is a sensible approach though it could go wrong for him as it could for any young manager but the step up from Alloa to Dundee was about right for Hartley at this moment in time and something similar would be ideal for Murray over the next year or so.

Hartley will have taken Dundee thinking if he does well there he may get the Hearts job in a year or two once he has seen how they settle and whether they bounce back to the SPL. Wonder what the odds on an Edinburgh derby in the Premier league in around 2018 with Hartley in the Hearts dug out and Murray in the Hibs.

jdships
18-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Still " serving an apprenticeship" and is looking more and more like a very good up and coming young manager

Interestingly Dumbarton were the first league club in Scotland to have a supporters' trust and with a squad of 32 players his Chairman Alan Jardine and the Board mus be giving him their full support.:agree:

Good luck to Ian Murray . He is a pleasure to speak with and has his feet firmly planted on the ground :thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
18-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Still " serving an apprenticeship" and is looking more and more like a very good up and coming young manager

Interestingly Dumbarton were the first league club in Scotland to have a supporters' trust and with a squad of 32 players his Chairman Alan Jardine and the Board mus be giving him their full support.:agree:

Good luck to Ian Murray . He is a pleasure to speak with and has his feet firmly planted on the ground :thumbsup:

Was that not us with the Erin Trust ?

patlowe
18-02-2014, 12:27 PM
He's doing a great job but still early days yet. Think the key for Murray now is to time his next move well ala Paul Hartley. It is no use in him staying at Dumbarton forever more as they could easily end up back down the divisions quite quickly, he gets sacked for not meeting fans' now heightened expectations and he is back at square one having to take a job at another Dumbarton-type club.

I'm hoping and expecting we'll have big Terry for a long time but if we did need to appoint another manager in the short to medium term then I don't think it would be wise to take Ian Murray direct from Dumbarton unless he gets them into the Premier and does well with them there but I can't see that.

Murray needs to go next to a Falkirk or a Hamilton or a smaller SPL team if he can manage to get a gig at one and see how he gets on there before he should be thinking about Hibs and vice versa.

I suspect Hartley has plotted his move to Dundee and it is a sensible approach though it could go wrong for him as it could for any young manager but the step up from Alloa to Dundee was about right for Hartley at this moment in time and something similar would be ideal for Murray over the next year or so.

Hartley will have taken Dundee thinking if he does well there he may get the Hearts job in a year or two once he has seen how they settle and whether they bounce back to the SPL. Wonder what the odds on an Edinburgh derby in the Premier league in around 2018 with Hartley in the Hearts dug out and Murray in the Hibs.

Can't argue with that!

RIP Bestie
18-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Done an excellent job up there. Hope he keeps up the good work and one day becomes our manager. Hibee through and through.
Aye, and flicked the finger at us at Ibrox

jonty
18-02-2014, 12:35 PM

Too be fair, we were goading him with chants of "Ian, Ian, whats the score...."

jacomo
18-02-2014, 12:40 PM

Too be fair, we were goading him with chants of "Ian, Ian, whats the score...."

Exactly. Just a bit of banter between friends... :wink:

jacomo
18-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Hahahaha Quality :wink:

I was fretting that we were getting near 10 replies on this thread and no one had said it. Not good enough. :greengrin

beensaidbefore
18-02-2014, 05:41 PM
This. Well done Nid :thumbsup:

Future Hibs gaffer at this rate.

Why does he get called Nid?

beensaidbefore
18-02-2014, 05:48 PM

Probably cos he was getting dogs abuse from folk who haven't given half as much to the club.

Started as a ball-boy,
then signed while still at school from dundee utd
played (insert number here) however many games over 2 periods at the club spanning a decade.
club captain.

Admittedly leaving for the huns was a bit of a blotch on an almost heroic record for hibs. But from what I understand the money was 4x mores than he was getting at hibs, and still about double what hibs top players are being paid now. No brainer for a young guy surely?

RIP Bestie
18-02-2014, 10:51 PM
Probably cos he was getting dogs abuse from folk who haven't given half as much to the club.

Started as a ball-boy,
then signed while still at school from dundee utd
played (insert number here) however many games over 2 periods at the club spanning a decade.
club captain.

Admittedly leaving for the huns was a bit of a blotch on an almost heroic record for hibs. But from what I understand the money was 4x mores than he was getting at hibs, and still about double what hibs top players are being paid now. No brainer for a young guy surely?
How much do you think he has spent following Hibs? He hasn't done double what I have for this club. He was only lucky enough to get the opportunity to play for us.

Scouse Hibee
18-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Nice to see him doing well in his first job, I have absolutely no idea whether he will ever be up to managing a big club like Hibs but who knows.

snooky
18-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Why does he get called Nid?

Niddrie?

monktonharp
18-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Why does he get called Nid?because he comes fae Niddrie, East Edinburgh. simples

snooky
18-02-2014, 11:27 PM
because he comes fae Niddrie, East Edinburgh. simples

I bet Nid's relieved he disny come fi' S****horpe :wink:

oramhibee
19-02-2014, 06:08 AM

You reckon Hearts will still exist in 2018?

beensaidbefore
19-02-2014, 10:55 PM
because he comes fae Niddrie, East Edinburgh. simples

Thing is, I know for a fact he's not from Niddrie. He grew up in Newington and went to Boroughmuir!

So question still stands??

sauzeelegod
20-02-2014, 12:23 AM
I'm sure I heard that when he played for Scotland schoolboys, the west coast based players called him nid cos it was the only area of Edinburgh they had heard of.

Shrekko
20-02-2014, 01:25 AM
We'll done IM, watching his progress with interest. Good luck to the Sons this season .
From my understanding Dumbarton are only missing out on a play off spot by goal difference to QOS??

That's right. 2nd, 3rd and 4th get to the play-offs.

Ian has done a fantastic job and if he made the top 4 it would be some achievement.

Stevie Reid
20-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Apparently only gets four hours of training with his squad every week. In that context, it's even more amazing.

andrew70
20-02-2014, 12:04 PM
Apparently only gets four hours of training with his squad every week. In that context, it's even more amazing.

Yeah and I am sure I read they only get to work with a 1/4 of the indoor pitch at Toryglen. That may be just during the winter but a lot of respect must go to Ian and the job he is doing.

jonty
20-02-2014, 12:04 PM

Or he's taking the credit for someone elses hard work :greengrin

beensaidbefore
20-02-2014, 06:11 PM
I'm sure I heard that when he played for Scotland schoolboys, the west coast based players called him nid cos it was the only area of Edinburgh they had heard of.

Makes more sense. I suppose to people from outside Edinburgh, Newington and Niddrie aren't worlds apart, well in terms of geography at least.

Frogga
21-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Yeah, you're right! He mentioned that in a programme once.

superfurryhibby
21-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Thing is, I know for a fact he's not from Niddrie. He grew up in Newington and went to Boroughmuir!

So question still stands??

That's right. Ian went to Sciennes primary before going to Boroughmuir. Andy McNeil also went to Sciennes, albeit he was a good few years younger than Ian.

He's doing a fantastic job with Dumbarton and I've no doubt he will move on to a bigger club sometime soon. Good luck to him, he's a good Hibee and a decent bloke with it.