PDA

View Full Version : The baking thread

Northernhibee
10-02-2014, 09:17 PM
I know we have a cooking thread, but for the bakers in here too we should have a baking thread, with it being a totally different discipline. My grandad was a superb baker so always tried to continue on the tradition.

Here's a really, really simple recipe for a really tasty soda bread. Costs pennies to make and tastes better than any supermarket bought bread.

You need:

200g of self raising flower
200ml of milk (with a little lemon or lime juice in it to sour the milk)
A teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
A large pinch of salt

Mix your dry ingredients together, add the sour milk to it and mix just to the point that it forms a quite wet dough and literally no more.

Place on a tray and bake for 30 to 40 minutes at around 190c. It should sound hollow if you tap the bottom of the loaf.

Scouse Hibee
10-02-2014, 09:20 PM
I know we have a cooking thread, but for the bakers in here too we should have a baking thread, with it being a totally different discipline. My grandad was a superb baker so always tried to continue on the tradition.

Here's a really, really simple recipe for a really tasty soda bread. Costs pennies to make and tastes better than any supermarket bought bread.

You need:

A large pinch of salt

Mix your dry ingredients together, add the sour milk to it and mix just to the point that it forms a quite wet dough and literally no more.

Place on a tray and bake for 30 to 40 minutes at around 190c. It should sound hollow if you tap the bottom of the loaf.

Do you kneed the dough at all?

Northernhibee
10-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Do you kneed the dough at all?

Nope, I love it if the loaf looks really, really untidy and rustic, comes out super light in the middle and crusty on the outside.

Scouse Hibee
10-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Nope, I love it if the loaf looks really, really untidy and rustic, comes out super light in the middle and crusty on the outside.

Cheers, will give it a bash.

hibbybob
12-02-2014, 03:03 PM

You need:

A large pinch of salt

I was sceptical about this as i thought you needed buttermilk to make soda bread.

Just tried it - really easy and delicious!

Cheers NH.
PS Any more like that?

Northernhibee
12-02-2014, 05:31 PM
I was sceptical about this as i thought you needed buttermilk to make soda bread.

Just tried it - really easy and delicious!

Cheers NH.
PS Any more like that?

Technically you should use buttermilk; this is just a super cheap version of it.

Willl post some other stuff up soon.

s.a.m
12-02-2014, 06:41 PM

You need:

A large pinch of salt

:no way:
You missed out the most important bit.

You have to cut a deep cross through the dough before you put it in the oven, to let the fairies out.