PDA

View Full Version : Footballers in your work place

cam75
17-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Just had a booking tonight for a famous hibs player and international manger book a table tonight,what would you ask regards hibs,anyone else had players in there work ?

BroxburnHibee
17-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Just had a booking tonight for a famous hibs player and international manger book a table tonight,what would you ask regards hibs,anyone else had players in there work ?

Plenty when I worked for Hibs :greengrin

Sir David Gray
17-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Not had any players in my work but Guillaume Beuzelin's wife used to work in the same place as me until about 18 months ago.

Sylar
17-01-2014, 05:45 PM
I work beside a former Olympic Gold medal winner but no Hibbys or indeed footballers :greengrin

ScottB
17-01-2014, 06:02 PM
When I worked at Game one Christmas I served Wotherspoon. If I hadn't known who he was I'd have ID'd him haha

ginger_rice
17-01-2014, 06:04 PM
I work beside Peterhead's coach Craig Tully, but that hardly qualifies me to suggest what you say to a famous Hibs player and international manager

Scott Allan Key
17-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Keith Wright bought a Now that's what I call Music compilation when I worked at Our Price, Christmas 1992.

cam75
17-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Il update what he orders tonight up to look at few players playing tomorrow !

SmashinGlass
17-01-2014, 06:25 PM
I used to see quite a few footballers (both Hibbies and others). They will all remain nameless though, as I worked in a bookies and don't want to be responsible for getting anyone in bother. Never had any attempts to gamble on own team games by any of the players but plenty wagers placed on lower division games. Bookie I worked for essentially turned a blind eye due to stake levels, but we obviously needed to report if attempts were made to place any dodgy bets.

hibeeleicester
17-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Everyday!

patch1875
17-01-2014, 06:29 PM
I do work for Gary Locke.:rolleyes:

KuqiKuqiCoo
17-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Harris comes to the gym I work at

nribs
17-01-2014, 06:32 PM

Is that a piss take

patch1875
17-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Is that a piss take

He wishes:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
17-01-2014, 06:34 PM
I worked beside Ian Stark who won several Olympic medals at 3 day eventing and that sort of horsey stuff. He quit the work to follow his dream and there are a few sportsmen out there who could learn from his grit and determination to succeed.

Its quite funny coz when you hear him on the telly these days he sounds like he was born & raised in Holyrood house by the queen. But when I knew him he sounded like everybody else in Gala and certainly didnt live in a big posh hoose. I suppose he aquired the posh accent to fit in with the horsey set at Badminton and all that.

A decent down to earth guy by the way who once slept in the horse box at an event coz him & the missus couldnt afford digs. He also lent me a fiver so I could get to a Hibs game.

El Gubbz
17-01-2014, 06:44 PM
A certain Billy Brown is a regular customer in the Co-op I used to work in

nribs
17-01-2014, 06:53 PM
I work in the same office as the daughter off one off our Skol cup winning team

pontius pilate
17-01-2014, 06:54 PM
I used to see a couple of ex hibs players at my old work in edinburgh sherrif court. I was never allowed to get an autograph though

Danderhall Hibs
17-01-2014, 06:58 PM
No

3pm
17-01-2014, 06:59 PM

Watch out for the old 'one out, one in' policy he seems be operating just now.

MartinfaePorty
17-01-2014, 07:01 PM
1st full time job Peter Cormack used to come into my bank branch. Was great, as the Asst Manager was a massive Hibbie so the 2 were mates and used to get 'exclusives' such as Gareth Evans signing!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Allant1981
17-01-2014, 07:02 PM
I used to work at the gleneagles hotel so ive seen loads of football players, used to get a lot of english teams come up

Mark79
17-01-2014, 07:02 PM

Not after tomorrow Billy.

Northernhibee
17-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Had Andy Webster in my work in full Hertz training gear one day ad he was a bit of a ****. Also had Niall McGinn and Jonny Hayes who were really lovely.

Derry Hibee
17-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Have served Barry Ferguson a few times, seen yogi meet Kevin drinkell to talk about signing a player drinkell was representing years ago. The best was a steaming Andy goram denying he was Andy goram. He was Andy goram.

Hibstrooper
17-01-2014, 07:13 PM
I worked in a certain cinema in Morningside when Big Eck came in one night, he was still the Hibs manager at the time. Bastart dropped his popcorn before even getting into the screen but seeing as he was the Hibs boss I replaced it for him.

greenlex
17-01-2014, 07:16 PM
You takin the piss. Edit- see it's been done!!!!

Inch Hibs
17-01-2014, 07:25 PM
I gave given golf/driving lessons to big Mixu, Paul Hartley, Kenny miller, Grant Brebner(wasn't at hibs) Tam McManus, Matty jack and Didier Agathe before I got a proper job :) all at Braid Hills. Yogi and Russell used to come along and take the piss regularly and Le God showed up once. Still have my golf ball signed by Franck which is my proudest possession.

Billy McKirdy
17-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Willie Jaimeson works beside me.

lord bunberry
17-01-2014, 07:27 PM
I had hibs legend Matt Thornhill in the back of my taxi once, I also got hailed by Kevin Kyle but when I realised it was him I drove away.

Hermit Crab
17-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Seen a few footballers at my work. Griffiths. Stuart Lovell, Hansen mccoist.

Others include tam Cowan twice jimmy from river city and the old wifey that's in it seen them lots of times. Alex salmond (hertz *****) and Roy say what you see walker jimmy carr and Frankie Boyle.

Hermit Crab
17-01-2014, 07:34 PM
I had hibs legend Matt Thornhill in the back of my taxi once, I also got hailed by Kevin Kyle but when I realised it was him I drove away.

Kwality sir. :D

Inch Hibs
17-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Seen a few footballers at my work. Griffiths. Stuart Lovell, Hansen mccoist.

Others include tam Cowan twice jimmy from river city and the old wifey that's in it seen them lots of times. Alex salmond (hertz *****) and Roy say what you see walker jimmy carr and Frankie Boyle.

Jimmy from river city sat behind me in the east! Had an argument with him one time about me standing up in a derby, Garry O scored went from almost fighting to best pals :)

_hucks_
17-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Used to get Charlie Adam in the bookies from time to time when he was on the books at Liverpool. Never bet on the football mind. Had Willie McKay in a couple of times too.

Pedantic_Hibee
17-01-2014, 07:45 PM
I once served John Hughes chewing gum.

Craig_in_Prague
17-01-2014, 07:46 PM

I heard it was a right good gum

MoscowHibs
17-01-2014, 07:47 PM

Aah ha, so your'e his medal cleaner then.

hibee_girl
17-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Grant Brebner was standing outside my work when I came back from lunch one day, it was the best day :greengrin

eastterrace
17-01-2014, 08:02 PM
bob robertson the goalie back in the 70 worked beside me nice lad, pity he wisnae very good, tho he did have a lot of competition back then.

PatHead
17-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Used to work with Tommy Gemmill ex Celtic legend who scored in 2 European Cup finals and Lawrie Reilly bought glasses from my twin brother. He couldn't understand why I didn't talk to him about them when we met a few days later in the bank!

Pretty Boy
17-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Once had free scoring Darren Mackie in my workplace when I lived in Aberdeen.

He used the 'don't you know who I am?' line on a colleague.

She said no.

Had the Scotland rugby team in another workplace after they lost a friendly at Pittodrie. Bunch of erseholes, with the exception of Alan Jacobsen, who I had to 'look after' all night.

Paddy McCourt stayed in my current work whilst he was training with Hibs at the start of this season.

Sergey
17-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Used to work with Tommy Gemmill ex Celtic legend who scored in 2 European Cup finals and Lawrie Reilly bought glasses from my twin brother. He couldn't understand why I didn't talk to him about them when we met a few days later in the bank!

Tommy Gemmill worked in the office above me in Glasgow about 30 years ago - he was selling insurance, IIRC. I often bumped into him in the lift. Nice guy.

PatHead
17-01-2014, 08:15 PM

She said no.

Had the Scotland rugby team in another workplace after they lost a friendly at Pittodrie. Bunch of erseholes, with the exception of Alan Jacobsen, who I had to 'look after' all night.

Paddy McCourt stayed in my current work whilst he was training with Hibs at the start of this season.

Love when that happens

leithsansiro
17-01-2014, 08:17 PM
The lovely Keith Wright works near me :)

leithsansiro
17-01-2014, 08:18 PM
And I also used to deliver a paper to Darren Dods in my youth

Rossco1875
17-01-2014, 08:29 PM
I work for a plumbers merchant and I once sold some taps to Steven Pressley! Charged him retail hearts *****!

Aldo
17-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Have worked with a previous Hibs 1st team player and there is a former Hibs and a former Dunfermline player at my current place of work.

Topographic Hibby
17-01-2014, 08:36 PM
.....anyone else had players in there work ?

This one never quite made it "in" my work....

I used to work for a bank in West Central Scotland. The local team drew Der Hun in a cup (can't recall which). We opened up the ATM on the Monday morning to refill with cash and remove retained cards etc etc. The ATM had retained a card belonging to a Mr Alistair McCoist.

No cash for Sally on a Saturday night......brought a wee tear of joy to my green heart!!

SteveHFC
17-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Have worked with a previous Hibs 1st team player and there is a former Hibs and a former Dunfermline player at my current place of work.

Stevie Crawford :wink:

Aldo
17-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Stevie Crawford :wink:

Nope. And I won't say.

jodjam
17-01-2014, 08:39 PM

Good work fella

SteveHFC
And I also used to deliver a paper to Darren Dods in my youth

Dods used to help out at my training along with Caldwell :greengrin.

Ricky Bobby
I work with Super Joe T. Top man

CyberSauzee
17-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Saw Steve McManaman a couple of years ago sitting in our old building's reception waiting to go in to see his lawyers.

Topographic Hibby
17-01-2014, 08:49 PM
I work for a plumbers merchant and I once sold some taps to Steven Pressley! Charged him retail hearts *****!
My wife used to work for a company where Elvis was a client. She thought it was somebody on the wind-up when he called in and had to discuss something routine. She thought it was somebody sounding deliberately thick and gormless, until her boss confirmed that he was who he said he was, and yes he did sound like 2 short planks.

Her boss didn't really follow football, so he didn't have a clue who he was. Not long after that, the "Riccarton Three" made their TV debut, and she fell about the living room floor in stiches.....it was the same gormless, monotone numpty that had called her a few days before.

Frogga
17-01-2014, 09:33 PM

I think I know the one you mean as I've seen him in there myself!

ManBearPig
17-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Medals Mackay used to come into the spar/scotmid I used to work in when I was a youngster. Always depressing :-(

But franck sauzee came into my friends work at sports soccer (as it was) in st James.

Hiber-nation
17-01-2014, 09:45 PM

Not as regular as me :wink:

He used to bore me to death some Saturdays standing in the queue talking pish about Hibs.

I used to work beside John Brownlie's wife. Nice lassie.

Joy Zipper
17-01-2014, 09:46 PM
I used to work at the gleneagles hotel so ive seen loads of football players, used to get a lot of english teams come up

Ryan Giggs was there when I was last up in October.

Frogga
I used to work with Jim Hamilton's kids. They're really friendly boys but surprisingly weren't that interested in playing football from what I remember.

Hermit Crab
My wife used to work for a company where Elvis was a client. She thought it was somebody on the wind-up when he called in and had to discuss something routine. She thought it was somebody sounding deliberately thick and gormless, until her boss confirmed that he was who he said he was, and yes he did sound like 2 short planks.

Her boss didn't really follow football, so he didn't have a clue who he was. Not long after that, the "Riccarton Three" made their TV debut, and she fell about the living room floor in stiches.....it was the same gormless, monotone numpty that had called her a few days before.

Up until he got the Coventry gig he stayed near me. As did Levein I don't know if he still stays near me now though.

Deansy
17-01-2014, 09:49 PM
I used to sort out Erich Schaedler for change (I worked in the Post-Office) when he had a pub in Leith Walk - he was a great laugh and never charged me for my drinks.

Joy Zipper
17-01-2014, 09:55 PM
Slightly off topic, but Jim McArthur was my PE teacher at Royal High Primary when he was the Hibs keeper. He used to hand out free tickets.

Jonnyboy
17-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Not Hibs but I worked in the same building as that Jambo ref Bill Crombie. Gave him grief a lot and enjoyed it :greengrin

carnoustiehibee
17-01-2014, 10:06 PM
Some of these are surely made up

It's like reading boring Milner on twitter.

I once seen *insert player* in subway. I thought he was going to get the chicken tikka but went for the foot long steak and cheese instead.

Jonnyboy
17-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Some of these are surely made up

It's like reading boring Milner on twitter.

I once seen *insert player* in subway. I thought he was going to get the chicken tikka but went for the foot long steak and cheese instead.

I've met 'insert player' a few times, but never at my work :agree:

Sir David Gray
17-01-2014, 10:17 PM
I've met 'insert player' a few times, but never at my work :agree:

Is that similar to an 'impact player'? :confused:

Jonnyboy
17-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Is that similar to an 'impact player'? :confused:

Possibly :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
17-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Thomas Sowunmi and Damon Gray brought the League Cup into my work in 2007. Got some cracking photos of me with the cup. Wasn't interested in them although they seemed nice enough.

PatHead
17-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Thomas Sowunmi and Damon Gray brought the League Cup into my work in 2007. Got some cracking photos of me with the cup. Wasn't interested in them although they seemed nice enough.

But did you get a photo of you with the Cup. If not don't believe you.

Bad Habits
17-01-2014, 10:34 PM
I live and have a part-time job in a cafe Harrogate (25 mins north of Leeds) and have met through my job, Andy O'Brien (ex Leeds now at Toronto), Paul Robinson and Brian McDermott. There's also a few Middlesbrough players that live here that I've seen/met including Gareth Southgate, Robert Huth and even got a tenner of Jimmy Floyd Hasslebaink one Halloween :)

Itsnoteasy
17-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Ryan Giggs was there when I was last up in October.

Was he ****ging the sister in law

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-01-2014, 10:45 PM

Masticators ken whits gawn oan!

Sir David Gray
17-01-2014, 10:48 PM

Did you wish him well on his move to Falkirk?

Wotherspiniesta
17-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Had Graeme Smith (GK) in my work a few months ago. No the brightest.

JMac
17-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Alex Cropley comes into my work all the time (chip shop)

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Up until he got the Coventry gig he stayed near me. As did Levein I don't know if he still stays near me now though.

Pressley used to get me tickets for Hammers games from Christian Dailly & Don Hutchison, saved me a right few quid.

WWFTWTG
17-01-2014, 10:56 PM
I had the distinguished pleasure some time ago of advising a certain Mr W Mercer that it was unfortunate that I could not serve him and his wife alcohol (bottle of white) as the time was 11.30 on sunday morning and we were licenced from 12.00 - he said he would wait.....

LMFAO then and come to think of it, now too

:agree:

Scouse Hibee
17-01-2014, 11:03 PM
Plenty in my work Dalglish,Hansen,Gullit,Brad Guzan,Roy Keane,Celtic,Rangers,Gary Mac,Mixu,Mikey Stewart,Levein to name a few

Bronson
17-01-2014, 11:22 PM

She said no.

Darren Mackie used that?:faf:

What a welt, I wouldn't know him from Adam if I walked by him in the street.

Peevemor
18-01-2014, 12:38 AM
OK - they're maybe not famous, but just over 20 years ago there were 4 guys who worked in my office all aged between 21 & 35. There was one who used to be on Watford's books, one was a former Motherwell S form, another who'd been with Wolves as a youngster and then there was yours truly.

They were a great bunch of guys but playing 5s with them wasn't much fun because I was keech in comparison.

Boyle89
18-01-2014, 01:30 AM
Sol Bamba came into my work one time, he looked rather sheepish when I asked to shake his hand so I stopped short of saying anything else.
Also pars players were in a fair bit, Joe Cardle was in alot.

TRC
18-01-2014, 01:49 AM
met the entire division 1 winning team at my dad's work. had a few different folk from hibs in work places Deek quite a few times townsley mixu wiss. Kano been in to my old work a couple of times. But the biggest coop of them all was one Tuesday night not a soul in the pub and how walks in Junior Agogo David Stevens and someone else that escapes me now. funny thing was they weren't even coming to my pub the wanted the place round the corner!:greengrin

basehibby
18-01-2014, 01:58 AM
I was down at the photocopier the other day when I was suddenly taken out by a sliding tackle by Mathias Jack - I was delighted to see him and wished him well

BS44
18-01-2014, 02:40 AM
A colleague of mine was a substitute for Raith Rovers when they played Bayern Munich in the Uefa Cup at Easter Road.

Dav1986
18-01-2014, 03:46 AM
bob robertson the goalie back in the 70 worked beside me nice lad, pity he wisnae very good, tho he did have a lot of competition back then.

He's actually my uncle. Don't know how good he was or wasn't but he did say competition was tough though.

In my work I've seen Kenny Miller, Garry O, Pat Nevin, Akpo Sodje and Leigh Griffiths over the years. Also served Jimmy Carr last year too.

NOLA
18-01-2014, 04:13 AM
One night I had the pleasure of checking in to my hotel Russell Latapy and a rather buxom blonde, he was out injured at the time and I remember thinking "she's a big lassie" hope he doesn't agravate his groin, couple of weeks later met him + Matty Jack in the honeycomb, we asked them back for a smoke at closing time and after abit of deliberation they declined ;) still treasure the photo we got stood in blair st like starstruck fools. (It was a sunday night after wed beaten dundee utd)

.Sean.
18-01-2014, 05:47 AM
Don't you mean his brother, Enoch Showunmi? :confused:

FWIW I've met and had nights out with loads of footballers. Majority are regular, sound lads. You get the odd arrogant ******** and quiet weirdo but most of them are just normal guys but you get that in all walks of life and workplaces.

McSwanky
18-01-2014, 08:45 AM
Jackie Mac and Ralph Callaghan used to drop off the takings from their bar(s?) when I worked in the Clydesdale Bank in Musselburgh. Jackie's Dad was a character!

Slightly unrelated, but used to deal with Iwan Tukalo a wee bit when he was at Oracle.

renato
18-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Been out with Latapy loads of times, the good (old) days of Shark, Eros / Elite, Beehive, Diggity etc...for those of a certain vintage ;-)

Also been out with the Pornstar, Mixu and Matty Jack on different occasions, Baw187 on here has been garden hopping with a couple of the above mentioned!

Also bumped into Nid in Mercado (probs Massa at that point) after the AEK game, talked about Le God most of the night, we were both in awe of the man! Heard some cracking stories about Franck's unbelievable talent at training.

Craziest night was when Dwight Yorke was up with Russell on a Wed or Thu night at Eros (this was at the time of Jordan "fame"). Can't begin to explain the number of women accompanying them.... We had a seat in VIP section, Dwight had a wad of 20's on the table higher than a bottle of bubbly! I went up for a round with a handful of them, must have ordered 20 drinks, got to keep the change ;-) Prob shouldn't repeat some of the other stories....

In hindsight now I'd be moaning my teets off if I heard stories about pro footballers acting like this but back then it seemed acceptable given the fare McLeish's team served up.

GreenArmyyy!
18-01-2014, 09:04 AM

Brilliant!

GreenArmyyy!
18-01-2014, 09:15 AM
One night I had the pleasure of checking in to my hotel Russell Latapy and a rather buxom blonde, he was out injured at the time and I remember thinking "she's a big lassie" hope he doesn't agravate his groin, couple of weeks later met him + Matty Jack in the honeycomb, we asked them back for a smoke at closing time and after abit of deliberation they declined ;) still treasure the photo we got stood in blair st like starstruck fools. (It was a sunday night after wed beaten dundee utd)

One of my earlier memory's as a Hibby. I'm sure we won 2-0 that night, I remember a big rammy in the goal mouth. I am sure Paco Luna started it.

Kojock
18-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Several footballers used to frequent my place of work at The Sheriff Court. :wink:

James70
18-01-2014, 09:45 AM
I remembering cashing Arthur Duncan's pay cheque when I worked in Leith Walk, it was just after the Leeds Utd game when Hibs were awaiting the result of the appeal.

Also got a lift into work from Mike McDonald after our car broke down in the middle of a blizzard.

NAE NOOKIE
18-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Forgot to say I've worked beside John Collins cousin for years. He's not into footy ( defacto Sellic fan ) but did go with me and and another guy to a pre season tournament at Newcastle Utd a few years back. He talks Just like Collins in that I'm just about to lose my voice kind of way. Decent enough bloke and never talks about his cousin.

FWIW ....... Saw the worst game of football I've ever witnessed in nearly 40 years of live spectating between Sporting Lisbon and Feynoord in that tournament, there are no words to express how rank it was. Watched newcastle Hump the current buns later in the afternoon :greengrin

Carheenlea
18-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Gary Locke is a regular patron in my eatery . 11809

Barman Stanton
18-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Used to work in an outdoor shop when young and served Franck Sauzee. He was a total gent.

Frogga
18-01-2014, 12:41 PM
I had a job interview with ex-Hibs youngster Jack Wilson (the one who went to Doncaster Rovers) a few years back. It was for a door-to-door sales job and he was showing us the ropes. He said he had to leave Hibs as he was a small CM and Mixu's style of play didn't suit him.

HibeeSince82
18-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Edwin De graaf sold his iPhone to my work awhile ago

hibIBZ
18-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Before a friendly with Blackburn few years ago, me snd few others were hanging around outside the ground. Got talking to the doormen who let us go in the main door and took us to see the trophy room. On way back out Blackburn players were coming in and the doorman called to a few. Had a chat with Paul Robinson, Jason Roberts and El hadji diouf (who btw was a really nice guy)
Not in the work place but a good wee story

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Just remembered I once tried to bait Mark Burchill into a fight in Eros. It didn't work.

Does that count?

Kato
18-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Have served Barry Ferguson a few times, seen yogi meet Kevin drinkell to talk about signing a player drinkell was representing years ago. The best was a steaming Andy goram denying he was Andy goram. He was Andy goram.

You should have asked if he was the other Andy Goram.

Persevere80
18-01-2014, 03:27 PM
When I worked in the hotels I seen Alex ferguson as I was leaving so I just missed out taking his bags to his room. I wonder how much he would have tipped. The same hotel used to house the celtic players pre match home games under martin O'Neil. Darren Jackson was in to help his wife as she was promoting her new florist business.

I used to work with mickey weir's brother in my present job.

Bristolhibby
18-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Used to have plenty of Bath Rugby players when I worked in a delicatessen as a kid. Also Jason Gardner (the 4 x 100m gold medal winning sprinter) used to come in a lot. He had a smoking hot missus BTW.

J

SkintHibby
19-01-2014, 07:55 AM
One for the older ones but about 20 odd years ago I worked beside ex Hibs goalie Thomson Allen.

Oh and Callum Milne came in to do a shift at my previous employer about 6 months ago.

Sudds_1
19-01-2014, 08:10 AM

which one though? remember there are TWO Andy Gorams

Hibrandenburg
19-01-2014, 08:10 AM
One of my colleagues is an ex Hertha Player. Was their centre forward for 3 years. I've promised him a trip to ER so he can see what he missed out on. :greengrin

spike220
19-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Edwin De graaf sold his iPhone to my work awhile ago was it in the 'box'?

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Edwin De graaf sold his iPhone to my work awhile ago

Did you have to keep the shop open longer to give him time to get from the front door to the counter :greengrin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
19-01-2014, 02:53 PM

Grahams or Wilsons:greengrin?

London Hibs FC
19-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Slightly off topic, but Jim McArthur was my PE teacher at Royal High Primary when he was the Hibs keeper. He used to hand out free tickets.

We were there at the same time. Did you go on to Porty High too?

STRAIGHT 2 HELL
19-01-2014, 08:51 PM
I work beside Pat Stanton, the man is an absolute gent, it's great listening to his views and stories every day

Mellow Hibee
19-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Terry Venables once tipped me a tenner for taking his breakfast to his room in the Post House Hotel. At the time I worked from 5am to 11am Saturday and Sunday for £22.

patch1875
19-01-2014, 09:00 PM
I work beside Pat Stanton, the man is an absolute gent, it's great listening to his views and stories every day

Me to

yeezus.
19-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Kevin Kyle comes into my work quite a bit.

Twiglet
19-01-2014, 09:48 PM
I used to work in a shop in Princes St. PLayers would come in regularly. Unfortunately, as I worked most Saturdays I didn't go that often so had no idea what our players actually looked like (why would it bother me what they looked like, I was only there to watch the football). I remember one time Scott Brown came in. The guys I work with were saying
"look, it's Scott Brown"
"where?"
"at the back"
"which one is he?" (there were 2 men there)
"the one looking at the shoes"
"they both are"
"the one with brown hair"
"they've both got brown hair"
"the one in the red t-shirt"
"oh. right. is that scott brown? oh. never knew that"

Also had Sam Morrow in returning stuff. We ask for an address on returns and he gave the stadium address.

Don't get players in my current job, but I do work beside Tommy Youngers grandson.

Hibee87
19-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Pat stanton comes onto my work now and again. Not 100% sure why somthing to do with cars I think. Didnt rate fenlon or doyle when I briefly spoke to him

Leishy1995
19-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Danny Handling comes in to tesco quite a lot.

Also Gary O'Connod was in a wee while back with his mum

DTS
20-01-2014, 12:51 AM
Served Tudor jones and Lewis Stevenson in December

Bay Area Hibees
20-01-2014, 04:21 AM
Good work fella

magic mate great story. Back to mine for a smoke used be a staple for me in Edinburgh. Quick stop at cannonmills 24 garage.

Bay Area Hibees
20-01-2014, 04:28 AM
Been out with Latapy loads of times, the good (old) days of Shark, Eros / Elite, Beehive, Diggity etc...for those of a certain vintage ;-)

Also been out with the Pornstar, Mixu and Matty Jack on different occasions, Baw187 on here has been garden hopping with a couple of the above mentioned!

Also bumped into Nid in Mercado (probs Massa at that point) after the AEK game, talked about Le God most of the night, we were both in awe of the man! Heard some cracking stories about Franck's unbelievable talent at training.

Craziest night was when Dwight Yorke was up with Russell on a Wed or Thu night at Eros (this was at the time of Jordan "fame"). Can't begin to explain the number of women accompanying them.... We had a seat in VIP section, Dwight had a wad of 20's on the table higher than a bottle of bubbly! I went up for a round with a handful of them, must have ordered 20 drinks, got to keep the change ;-) Prob shouldn't repeat some of the other stories....

In hindsight now I'd be moaning my teets off if I heard stories about pro footballers acting like this but back then it seemed acceptable given the fare McLeish's team served up.

Brilliant. I met zinadine zidane this year for tv commercial in Brazil. Grew up in marseille (zzz not me) and told him what fs means to hibs fans and told him to pass it on to him. Emailed the same message to zidanes agent who also knows Franck. He deserves proper er welcome visit and I'd come back from California to be there.

hibspayne
20-01-2014, 08:52 AM
years ago I used to work in a sailing club in Fife and I would serve during the week Durie, Andy Rhodes, Jason & Lee Dair (Pars i think). Rhodes was a funny man and a bit of a mad goalie to say the least.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Served Andy Goram in Wm Lows (now Tesco at Broughton Rd)

I've seen Geebsie in the then. Esso garage at Cannonmills.

confused
20-01-2014, 09:46 AM
I used to go into Eric Stevenson's shop every morning for my rolls and paper , he too great delight in telling me all about how easy this "new decimal currency " was to use , a great guy who always had time for a word.

scoopyboy
20-01-2014, 12:26 PM
When I worked in the Whisky industry I used to have meetings at various distilleries. John Gallacher (ex Hearts 1970 to 1975ish) used to attend a few and after every meeting lunch and drinky poos would be served. I made a point of asking him something different about the 7-0 game every time and he would hate it but because there were maybe a dozen or so people present he couldn't exactly tell me to f*** off. He didn't play in that game but played that season and was in the squad that day.

Two work collegues of mine at present are ex seniors. Derek Grant (ex Airdrie, Meadowbank, Montrose, Berwick) and Grant McNicol (ex Berwick).

cam75
20-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Update from Friday,he never made the table,did he read .net then decide not to come in :-)
On another note sons buddy at school is SM(dons) and see Anderson picking up his kid few times a week !

Peevemor
20-01-2014, 11:32 PM
When Donald Park was part-time with Partick Thistle he also worked as a rep for Inde Coope (skol). My mum worked at a hotel and got to know him pretty well. He gave me comps every time we played them. Later when he had the West End Hotel with George Mackie it was I who spent a lot of time in an ex-footballer's workplace. :greengrin:

He was at Hibs at the time and I spent hours chatting to him. That was as 'in the know' as I'll even be.

Scouse Hibee
24-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Met Shola Ameobi this afternoon, asked him seeing as he had a free weekend did he fancy a game on Sunday :greengrin

eggbamyasi
25-01-2014, 01:21 AM
I had a good one a couple of years back . Not hibs players . Was working on a united emirates commercial and the full man utd team were in it doing keepy ups on a fake plane in studio . As they were leaving the full team of lookalikes walked in and they bumped into each other . The real team were pissing themselve . Heard ferdinand saying "omg check you out rooney " all the players in stitches also ronaldos got a slagging . Felt bad for lookalikes they just stood there awkward as **** . Hehe was very funny indeed never forget it .

Billy McKirdy
25-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Seen Mickey Weir browsing the top shelf magazines in a newsagents in St Leonards Street years ago.....

Frazerbob
25-01-2014, 01:49 PM
I've had loads of players coming into the various bars and clubs I've managed over the years. A certain venue on George St was a favourite with both Hibs & Hearts players a few years ago. It was funny seeing how the two sets of players didn't mix at all and notable that the Eastern European Hearts players didn't mix with Scots.

Highlight was when the Hibs team and entourage came back after winning the League Cup in '07.....with the cup!

Lowlight was a few months later when the team had a meeting before heading off in a convoy for the infamous meeting at Rod's gaff.

Just last month I had the Aberdeen Youth academy Christmas lunch in my bar with Craig Brown and Neil Cooper amongst the guests. Pa Broon was an absolute gent and they were delighted with their meal.......then left a £3 tip from a near £500 bill. Keeping the stereotype alive!

Jones28
25-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Seen Mickey Weir browsing the top shelf magazines in a newsagents in St Leonards Street years ago.....

Was he standing on a box? :greengrin: