PDA

View Full Version : Police

God Petrie
11-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Why were the police at pittodrie standing with a camera filming the Hibs support yesterday? I thought we were well behaved so not sure what they were up to.

Keith_M
11-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Because they've got nothing better to do with their time.

God Petrie
11-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Truly bizarre. I hope they manage to catch those toerags who had audacity to support their team in full view of the boys in blue.

.Sean.
11-01-2014, 12:07 PM
**** FOCUS and **** Police Scotland. What a waste of resources, time they concentrate their efforts on actually locking up criminals as supporting a football side is not a crime.

Chuck Rhoades
11-01-2014, 12:07 PM
**** focus.

Onion
11-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Why were the police at pittodrie standing with a camera filming the Hibs support yesterday? I thought we were well behaved so not sure what they were up to.

Got new cameras for Christmas :confused:

Weir7
11-01-2014, 12:12 PM

Cause they are #####

They've been doing for a right few years now. Outrageous they are allowed to do it

Hermit Crab
11-01-2014, 12:12 PM
Got new cameras for Christmas :confused:

New go pro cameras for Xmas.

Frazerbob
11-01-2014, 12:15 PM
You are being filmed almost everywhere you go these days. Roads, shops, city centres, bars, airports, on buses, on trains.........the list is endless. Why the outrage about a football stadium or is it because the camera is hand held rather than fixed to a wall or ceiling?

Chuck Rhoades
11-01-2014, 12:18 PM
You are being filmed almost everywhere you go these days. Roads, shops, city centres, bars, airports, on buses, on trains.........the list is endless. Why the outrage about a football stadium or is it because the camera is hand held rather than fixed to a wall or ceiling?

And it's right that we're filmed constantly at work, out for a walk, shopping etc?

weonlywon6-2
11-01-2014, 12:18 PM
**** FOCUS and **** Police Scotland. What a waste of resources, time they concentrate their efforts on actually locking up criminals as supporting a football side is not a crime.

:rolleyes:

hibby rae
11-01-2014, 12:21 PM
You could always film them back on your phone in full view of them. It can annoy them but it's completely legal, even if they try to say otherwise. Also you can waste their time further and get a copy of the video from them. The comedian Mark Thomas has done a lot of these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1RKRpS7CT8

silverhibee
11-01-2014, 12:22 PM
**** mondeo

weonlywon6-2
11-01-2014, 12:24 PM

I don't see why people get in such a tizzy over the fact there are cameras everywhere , so what , if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about

oldbiker
11-01-2014, 12:24 PM
You could always film them back on your phone in full view of them. It can annoy them but it's completely legal, even if they try to say otherwise.

Just turn your back but the stadium is covered by CCTV anyway so its no odds really.

Be a bit smiley if the whole crowd done it though

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Here's hoping that if they were there to hook people looking to start trouble, then they are knocking on Willo Flood's door at some point today.

God Petrie
11-01-2014, 12:27 PM
I found it provocative and needless. Most stadiums have fixed cameras anyway. Why erode the relationship between fans and police further by standing with a camera in a police uniform pointing it at fans.

I don't really care about being filmed in itself - it's the 1984 style manner in which it's done and the guilty until proven innocent mentality which gets to me.

Danderhall Hibs
11-01-2014, 12:30 PM
**** mondeo

:hilarious

Walter
11-01-2014, 12:31 PM
And it's right that we're filmed constantly at work, out for a walk, shopping etc?

But I bet if you were robbed and had you're jaw broken your be the first to ask if their was CCTV footage to help catch them

hibby rae
11-01-2014, 12:32 PM
I don't see why people get in such a tizzy over the fact there are cameras everywhere , so what , if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about

But then using that argument where does it end? Monitoring bank accounts, texts and phone calls, internet history and emails? A lot of that happens but in my opinion it shouldn't. We are entitled to carry out our lives without being watched by the authorities.

Chuck Rhoades
11-01-2014, 12:39 PM
http://youtu.be/iV2zHnxm9hM

Keith_M
11-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Wow, you are the NSA/GCHQs dream. The UK is already the owner of the title of highest number of CCTV cameras per head of population in the EU but there is NO evidence to suggest that it has lowered the level of crime.

There are strict EU laws on privacy of the indivudual. Why not just do away with them if we have nothing to hide?

Wotherspiniesta
11-01-2014, 12:42 PM

If you're no doing anything wrong, then what's the problem?

Christ, there's some right uptight laddies on this thread!

Phil D. Rolls

If you live in a city, almost certainly.

ginger_rice
I reckon they were hoping to be first to post on youtube if another hibby was to disappear if we'd scored

Reaper
[/B]

But then using that argument where does it end? Monitoring bank accounts, texts and phone calls, internet history and emails? A lot of that happens but in my opinion it shouldn't. We are entitled to carry out our lives without being watched by the authorities.

But so are other people and sadly, believe it or not, there are people out there using these modern technologies to commit crime. If monitoring them it stops Paedophiles grooming kids and being locked up, Fraudsters stealing innocent peoples money and drug dealers inflicting societys Cancer then I dont have a problem with it.

God Petrie
11-01-2014, 12:44 PM
If you live in a city, almost certainly.

Think he meant is it right as in morally right.

As to the importance of privacy, snowden summed it up more articulately than I could so Ill quote him:

I'm honored to have the chance to speak with you and your family this year.

Recently, we learned that our governments, working in concert, have created a system of worldwide mass surveillance, watching everything we do.

Great Britain's George Orwell warned us of the danger of this kind of information. The types of collection in the book -- microphones and video cameras, TVs that watch us -- are nothing compared to what we have available today. We have sensors in our pockets that track us everywhere we go.

Think about what this means for the privacy of the average person. A child born today will grow up with no conception of privacy at all. They'll never know what it means to have a private moment to themselves -- an unrecorded, unanalyzed thought. And that's a problem, because privacy matters. Privacy is what allows us to determine who we are and who we want to be.

The conversation occurring today will determine the amount of trust we can place both in the technology that surrounds us and the government that regulates it. Together, we can find a better balance. End mass surveillance. And remind the government that if it really wants to know how we feel, asking is always cheaper than spying.

blackpoolhibs
11-01-2014, 12:50 PM
[/B]

I see where you are going with this, and agree to an extent. We dont see the police filming rugby fans or cricket fans or indeed womens football fans.

Yet if these sports suddenly had an influx of trouble makers, who were throwing smoke bombs and creating trouble, then i'd expect them to be filmed too.

Its us the football support who have created this, and its a consequence of that. From my perspective i have no problem with it, i have more important things to bother about than someone pointing a camera at me.

Scouse Hibee
11-01-2014, 12:55 PM
[/B]

Maybe if you knew the results of how the authorities watching us has kept you safer you might feel better about it.

Reaper
11-01-2014, 12:57 PM
I see where you are going with this, and agree to an extent. We dont see the police filming rugby fans or cricket fans or indeed womens football fans.

Yet if these sports suddenly had an influx of trouble makers, who were throwing smoke bombs and creating trouble, then i'd expect them to be filmed too.

Its us the football support who have created this, and its a consequence of that. From my perspective i have no problem with it, i have more important things to bother about than someone pointing a camera at me.

I agree mate. Not all football fans of course but there are people out there who are intent on causing trouble. If the Police filming them makes it safer for me to take my son to a game Ive no issues and if my ugly mug happens to get captured so be it........Ive heard people expressing their opinion thats its unacceptable...I walked behind two in Ayr once who shouted 'Innocent people getting harassed'. Ten minutes later they were fighting outside a pub???? Irony at its best I suppose.

Phil D. Rolls
11-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Think he meant is it right as in morally right.

As to the importance of privacy, snowden summed it up more articulately than I could so Ill quote him:

I'm honored to have the chance to speak with you and your family this year.

Recently, we learned that our governments, working in concert, have created a system of worldwide mass surveillance, watching everything we do.

Great Britain's George Orwell warned us of the danger of this kind of information. The types of collection in the book -- microphones and video cameras, TVs that watch us -- are nothing compared to what we have available today. We have sensors in our pockets that track us everywhere we go.

Think about what this means for the privacy of the average person. A child born today will grow up with no conception of privacy at all. They'll never know what it means to have a private moment to themselves -- an unrecorded, unanalyzed thought. And that's a problem, because privacy matters. Privacy is what allows us to determine who we are and who we want to be.

The conversation occurring today will determine the amount of trust we can place both in the technology that surrounds us and the government that regulates it. Together, we can find a better balance. End mass surveillance. And remind the government that if it really wants to know how we feel, asking is always cheaper than spying.

The technology isn't immoral, regrettably we can't guarantee that those using it are not.

It's interesting that the Americans don't really use it, in the USA at least.

silverhibee
11-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Most of CCTV in the UK is used illegally.

Phil D. Rolls
11-01-2014, 01:05 PM

If it is effective on the war on drugs/paedophiles/Islamists (insert other scapegoats as appropriate) what have we got to worry about?

Scouse Hibee
11-01-2014, 01:05 PM

:agree: Very easy to find non compliance when challenging the evidential use of it in court cases.

Hibernia Na Eir
11-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Bout time someone filmed them at a game. See the reaction.

matty_f
11-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Maybe if folk could consistently go to the football without breaking the law they wouldn't need to be filmed.
Think at the derby we had 3 people run out the stands, and a green smoke bomb thrown. None of them crimes of the century but they do the law abiding football fans no favours whatsoever.
I hate the way police treat football fans in many cases, however when people regularly give them cause to be heavy handed it kind of nullifies the argument against them.

hibby rae
11-01-2014, 01:10 PM
But so are other people and sadly, believe it or not, there are people out there using these modern technologies to commit crime. If monitoring them it stops Paedophiles grooming kids and being locked up, Fraudsters stealing innocent peoples money and drug dealers inflicting societys Cancer then I dont have a problem with it.

Maybe if you knew the results of how the authorities watching us has kept you safer you might feel better about it.

You all raise valid points. My problem is with the statement "if you have nothing to hide, then what's the problem?" Because, although there are times when the authorities do need these powers, sadly these powers are abused by the authorities. An example from the past would be when the intelligence services monitored union officials and left wing politicians. People who were committing no crime but were seen as a threat to the establishment because they represented others. A personal example would be a few years ago when I took part in an anti-war march during the festival. As it was the festival I had been flyering for a comedy variety show that was intended to raise awareness about the campaign against Trident and because of this I, and some others, was wearing an nbc suit with a gas mask. On the march a policemen came up to us and threatened us with arrest if we continued to wear the masks on the march (which they were filming). I spoke to a guy later who had years of experience campaigning and protesting at Faslane etc. who knew the laws regarding this inside out. He told us the policemen had lied to us and what we were doing was perfectly the legal. This guy had abused his power.

Reaper
11-01-2014, 01:21 PM
You all raise valid points. My problem is with the statement "if you have nothing to hide, then what's the problem?" Because, although there are times when the authorities do need these powers, sadly these powers are abused by the authorities. An example from the past would be when the intelligence services monitored union officials and left wing politicians. People who were committing no crime but were seen as a threat to the establishment because they represented others. A personal example would be a few years ago when I took part in an anti-war march during the festival. As it was the festival I had been flyering for a comedy variety show that was intended to raise awareness about the campaign against Trident and because of this I, and some others, was wearing an nbc suit with a gas mask. On the march a policemen came up to us and threatened us with arrest if we continued to wear the masks on the march (which they were filming). I spoke to a guy later who had years of experience campaigning and protesting at Faslane etc. who knew the laws regarding this inside out. He told us the policemen had lied to us and what we were doing was perfectly the legal. This guy had abused his power.

Had he abused his power or were they trying to bluff you? The authorities will continually probe to test peoples resolve as maybe and/or some other protesters would test the authority to see how comfortable they are with powers and knowledge of such......Id agree more if you had been arrested for wearing the mask it would have been an abuse of power. Again tho, if you attend alot of these events then you'd know people wont protest peacefully and theyll cause trouble and Id expect the authorities to do something about it.

Wembley67
11-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Anyone moaning here actually thought that there were a few faces in the crowd last night that the police had every reason to have surveillance on?

Probably the first folk to complain and look for video evidence if a crime was committed against them.

As others have said there are far more important things to throw your abuse at the then police. It doesn't make you a hard man. If anything it makes you look like a right tit shouting abuse at the police for no reason.

Scouse Hibee
11-01-2014, 01:26 PM

I've had this conversation with several Police officers in the past, they told me that if the Police are filming or Policing a march they have the right to ask the demonstrators to remove their masks, if they refuse then they can then be arrested.

Thecat23
11-01-2014, 01:27 PM

Course it is. If a girl is raped or a saluter or someone smacks you I'd want it on CCTV and brought to justice. What's wrong with it if you have nothing to hide? Police aren't faultless but they get a hard time with limited resources.

weonlywon6-2
11-01-2014, 01:29 PM

There is a requirement to remove your mask and show your identity, failing to do so can be considered an offence. Demos etc attract trouble makers , just take a look at the bedlam during G8 on Princes Street.Put the shoe on the other foot and ask your self,how would you deal with it??

silverhibee
11-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Anyone moaning here actually thought that there were a few faces in the crowd last night that the police had every reason to have surveillance on?

Probably the first folk to complain and look for video evidence if a crime was committed against them.

As others have said there are far more important things to throw your abuse at the then police. It doesn't make you a hard man. If anything it makes you look like a right tit shouting abuse at the police for no reason.

Lets pay the £10 and we can find out, give us something to do until our next game. :greengrin

Wotherspiniesta
11-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Course it is. If a girl is raped or a saluter or someone smacks you I'd want it on CCTV and brought to justice. What's wrong with it if you have nothing to hide? Police aren't faultless but they get a hard time with limited resources.

... Plus they spend most of their time trying to track down Francis :wink:

weonlywon6-2
11-01-2014, 01:33 PM
They cant be arrested. They can be stopped from protesting however.

And when you stop them they cause a disturbance and get arrested !!

FWIW you can be arrested

Scouse Hibee
11-01-2014, 01:34 PM
It's bizarre how some people on here seems to think that the moment a decent normal person pulls on a Police uniform they instantly become total welts who's only mission in life is to noise up football supporters or alike.

shagpile
11-01-2014, 01:38 PM
I spoke to the policemen with the camera. I told them not to waste their time. Roxanne wasn't in the crowd.
One of them said 'don't stand so close to me' to which I replied 'but you looked so lonely'.
The other one said 'every breath you take is being filmed' .
I had had enough, I told them I was off to send a message in a bottle to their bosses. They said 'don't go we can't stand losing you '.
I retorted I am off home to see my wife because every little thing she does is magic. 'We'll still be watching you' they said 'were spirits in the material world'.
Dunno 'bout that but you are definitely kings of pain ,but you don't have me wrapped around your finger.
Ah but, even if you were taking tea in the sahara we would know about it they said. Yup says I, if I went walking on the moon you would have me taped because you guys hide behind an invisible sun.
That's right pal were the synchronicity II.

givescotlandfreedom
11-01-2014, 01:39 PM
It seems a bit shoddy Aberdeen FC are paying police to be quite aggressive to football fans travelling hundreds of miles and paying a lot of money to go to a game at a rotten time many could have watched in their living rooms.

leggeto
11-01-2014, 01:41 PM
they are trying to catch the guys who. Are banned

stoneyburn hibs
11-01-2014, 01:43 PM
It's bizarre how some people on here seems to think that the moment a decent normal person pulls on a Police uniform they instantly become total welts who's only mission in life is to noise up football supporters or alike.

Most are decent when they put on the uniform, some abuse it to a great extent. Its not that bizarre.

Ronniekirk
11-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Maybe compiling a new DVD and we have better so gs than a lot of other supports :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
11-01-2014, 01:47 PM
It seems a bit shoddy Aberdeen FC are paying police to be quite aggressive to football fans travelling hundreds of miles and paying a lot of money to go to a game at a rotten time many could have watched in their living rooms.

What has the time of the game, the price or the distance they travelled got to do with this? And if i was there last night, i'd never in a million years say being filmed was aggressive? :confused:

Ronniekirk
11-01-2014, 01:48 PM
I spoke to the policemen with the camera. I told them not to waste their time. Roxanne wasn't in the crowd.
One of them said 'don't stand so close to me' to which I replied 'but you looked so lonely'.
The other one said 'every breath you take is being filmed' .
I had had enough, I told them I was off to send a message in a bottle to their bosses. They said 'don't go we can't stand losing you '.
I retorted I am off home to see my wife because every little thing she does is magic. 'We'll still be watching you' they said 'were spirits in the material world'.
Dunno 'bout that but you are definitely kings of pain ,but you don't have me wrapped around your finger.
Ah but, even if you were taking tea in the sahara we would know about it they said. Yup says I, if I went walking on the moon you would have me taped because you guys hide behind an invisible sun.
That's right pal were the synchronicity II.
It was a police STING:top marks

Green Fish
11-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Most are decent when they put on the uniform, some abuse it to a great extent. Its not that bizarre.

Tin hat on. I have been in the police for many years, as I'm sure you'd agree there's good and bad in all professions. Not much experience in policing football but the recent pars gers match was a mare. On the other side of the coin decent and normal folk can turn into monsters.

I can only say last night's actioms would nit be meant to wind folk up

Keith_M
11-01-2014, 01:53 PM
For those who say it's harmless and, if you have nothing to hide then there's no problem, don't you get in the least bit p*ssed off that as a football fan, you are always treated as if you are a criminal?

Walking through Central Station with cameras shoved in your face while ordinary passers by look at you with a mixture of fear and revulsion; not my idea of fun.

CMac1988
11-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Just turn your back but the stadium is covered by CCTV anyway so its no odds really.

Be a bit smiley if the whole crowd done it though

Your filming our backs... Your filming our ba.a..acks
What a waste of council tax, your filming our backs.

lucky
11-01-2014, 01:55 PM
They were probably filming in the event of a smoke bomb or flare getting set off. They would rewind back and pull those in the vicinity. Totally no need

Beefster
11-01-2014, 02:01 PM
As long as they don't monitor my usage of www.bigfloppybazongas.com, they can video me at the football.

Aldo
11-01-2014, 02:03 PM

Parts of what this 'seasoned campaigner' said is wrong and you will find there is legislation in place and that you could of been arrested if you failed to comply with the instructions of the officer.

Research it yourself and you will find that this person was indeed wrong.

blackpoolhibs
11-01-2014, 02:03 PM
For those who say it's harmless and, if you have nothing to hide then there's no problem, don't you get in the least bit p*ssed off that as a football fan, you are always treated as if you are a criminal?

Walking through Central Station with cameras shoved in your face while ordinary passers by look at you with a mixture of fear and revulsion; not my idea of fun.

Consequences of previous incidents i'm afraid, the football fan has brought this all on themselves in my opinion.

As i said earlier, it does not bother me these days. I have had a few times over the last few seasons, Ayr United away was the one i remember most, as we were all singing say cheese for the camera. :wink:

And that was just after a smoke bomb had gone off and a half full beer can had been thrown onto the pitch, well attempted to be thrown but missed and hit someone further down in the crowd. :rolleyes:

matty_f
11-01-2014, 02:04 PM

You've got your fellow football fans to thank for that, rather than the police. Wasn't there trouble at the train station after we played Ayr or Queen of the South or someone in the cup a couple of years ago?

Mon Dieu4
11-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Doesn't really bother me to be honest, we still have an element that are only going to the game to cause bother or go boxing, very small minority and it still goes on

Not too long ago i bumped into someone i know who gets up to all that nonsense before a game, I've known them all my life so had a five minute catch up with them, before you know it the Police appear, i have a camera shoved in my face and i get asked all the usual questions

wasn't the greatest experience ever as countless people i know walked past as it was happening but its nature of the beast while folk are still going looking for trouble

ColintonHibs
11-01-2014, 02:13 PM

Its a joke! Mind you its "for our own protection"

blackpoolhibs
11-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Its a joke! Mind you its "for our own protection"

Have you ever had trouble with a camera?

matty_f
11-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Have you ever had trouble with a camera?

If I'm filming I usually hire a fluffer to avoid any trouble with the camera.

weonlywon6-2
11-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Tin hat on. I have been in the police for many years, as I'm sure you'd agree there's good and bad in all professions. Not much experience in policing football but the recent pars gers match was a mare. On the other side of the coin decent and normal folk can turn into monsters.

I can only say last night's actioms would nit be meant to wind folk up

I agree with you. Having worked more football matches and demos than I wish to remember over the last twenty odd years the vast majority of football fans are very decent and you get a great laugh with them, maybe being a football fan makes you understand things a bit better.

The matter of fact is there is still issues with a small minority of fans at football matches and they can drag others down.

silverhibee
11-01-2014, 02:19 PM
I prefered the good old days when there was no CCTV and the polis just waded in to the crowd and gave you a good kicking, the polis must be gutted about the use of CCTV nowadays. :wink::greengrin

weonlywon6-2
11-01-2014, 02:22 PM

:faf:

blackpoolhibs

:greengrin

Hibercelona
If mass surveillance was being used for the right reasons, I wouldn't have a problem with it. However, it's being used for reasons that don't often benefit us. Cameras are just the beginning. It'll get worse, much worse.

Reaper
11-01-2014, 02:29 PM
They cant be arrested. They can be stopped from protesting however.

And when you stop them they cause a disturbance and get arrested !!

FWIW you can be arrested

Mate sorry Ive had a mare with the phone there and my post got cut off. It was supposed to say. You CAN be arrested. You can be stopped from protesting. However, in days gone by you couldnt be, now its all written into the terms of the protest by the Police and Council approving such. Therefore if you fail to comply you get arrested so in short......I agree with you lol

Scouse Hibee
11-01-2014, 02:31 PM

Yeah becuse they always walk right up to you and shove them in your face right enough.:rolleyes:

weonlywon6-2
11-01-2014, 02:33 PM
If mass surveillance was being used for the right reasons, I wouldn't have a problem with it. However, it's being used for reasons that don't often benefit us. Cameras are just the beginning. It'll get worse, much worse.

every web site we visit is recorded whether your on your desktop, laptop or Ipad, every call and text you make on your mobile is recorded and we are worried about CCTV ??

silverhibee
11-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Yeah becuse they always walk right up to you and shove them in your face right enough.:rolleyes:

Its to check to see you aren't missing a ear. :greengrin

weonlywon6-2
11-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Mate sorry Ive had a mare with the phone there and my post got cut off. It was supposed to say. You CAN be arrested. You can be stopped from protesting. However, in days gone by you couldnt be, now its all written into the terms of the protest by the Police and Council approving such. Therefore if you fail to comply you get arrested so in short......I agree with you lol

:aok::aok:

Scouse Hibee
11-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Its to check to see you aren't missing a ear. :greengrin

What you sayin?

Thecat23
11-01-2014, 02:58 PM
... Plus they spend most of their time trying to track down Francis :wink:

Haha just seen this and sitting pissing myself :D

silverhibee
11-01-2014, 03:00 PM
What you sayin?

:greengrin

Ear it is, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-17600285

Nailsea Hibby
11-01-2014, 03:01 PM
You could always film them back on your phone in full view of them. It can annoy them but it's completely legal, even if they try to say otherwise. Also you can waste their time further and get a copy of the video from them. The comedian Mark Thomas has done a lot of these things.

I think it would be well worth the effort for us all to individually to request the details of how we can obtain a copy of the video when this is happening to us, i know they get pissed of when you film them back but i,m sure it would piss them of more standing in front of them requesting the details/address of how we can obtain a copy which is our legal right.

silverhibee
11-01-2014, 03:11 PM
I think it would be well worth the effort for us all to individually to request the details of how we can obtain a copy of the video when this is happening to us, i know they get pissed of when you film them back but i,m sure it would piss them of more standing in front of them requesting the details/address of how we can obtain a copy which is our legal right.

It costs about a tenner.

One Day Soon
11-01-2014, 03:32 PM

Really? I think you may need to get out more often.

In the more than 30 years I have followed Hibs any trouble I have witnessed has been caused directly or indirectly by, in the following order:

drunk fans
sober but violent fans
appalling referees
the occasional welt player

that's it

The crap that I have seen police officers as public sector workers have to put up with over those years has been pretty spectacular. I would imagine that trying to control large crowds at football matches - particularly 'big' or flashpoint games - would be quite a challenge due to the numbers and due to the amount of alcohol taken, together with crowd mentality.

If pointedly filming fans reminds everyone that they are on camera and therefore acts as a deterrent, then that's fine with me. If it also helps in keeping banned nutters away from the game then even better.

If I were you I'd donate that tenner instead to one of the charities currently trying to stop people from dying of disease, poisoned water and malnutrition in various parts of the globe.

blackpoolhibs
11-01-2014, 03:36 PM

You crack on matey, maybe you could then post it on here?

I'm sure some folk might spot themselves in the footage, could be a terrific night in for some?

One Day Soon
11-01-2014, 03:38 PM
You crack on matey, maybe you could then post it on here?

I'm sure some folk might spot themselves in the footage, could be a terrific night in for some?

:tee hee:

blackpoolhibs
11-01-2014, 03:42 PM
:tee hee:

I know Blockbusters has closed, but i still think £10 for a 90 minute dvd is a bit much.

weonlywon6-2
11-01-2014, 03:58 PM

In the more than 30 years I have followed Hibs any trouble I have witnessed has been caused directly or indirectly by, in the following order:

drunk fans
sober but violent fans
appalling referees

that's it

The crap that I have seen police officers as public sector workers have to put up with over those years has been pretty spectacular. I would imagine that trying to control large crowds at football matches - particularly 'big' or flashpoint games - would be quite a challenge due to the numbers and due to the amount of alcohol taken, together with crowd mentality.

If pointedly filming fans reminds everyone that they are on camera and therefore acts as a deterrent, then that's fine with me. If it also helps in keeping banned nutters away from the game then even better.

If I were you I'd donate that tenner instead to one of the charities currently trying to stop people from dying of disease, poisoned water and malnutrition in various parts of the globe.

:top marks

The_Exile
11-01-2014, 04:06 PM
If the polis want to stick a camera in my face without explanation, I genuinely couldn't give a ****.

silverhibee
11-01-2014, 04:09 PM
I know Blockbusters has closed, but i still think £10 for a 90 minute dvd is a bit much.

You get extra time included for that £10.

Could be a money spinner for Scottish Police.

Arch Stanton
11-01-2014, 04:21 PM
If everywhere else in Aberdeen was free from the threat of trouble and if Pittodrie is a known violence blackspot then the police should indeed be focussing their efforts as indicated.

But these things aren't the case - are they? It seems to me that it is all pointless posturing by the police.

Nailsea Hibby
11-01-2014, 04:26 PM

drunk fans
sober but violent fans
appalling referees

that's it

What you trying to say you've never seen any trouble that has been started because of police attitude and heavy handed tactics shown against us especially on trips to Glasgow,Dundee etc where we are treated like *****.I think it's you that has to get out a bit more often

PS. I don't think i mentioned about paying a tenner for a copy of any video.

Aldo
11-01-2014, 04:40 PM
What you trying to say you've never seen any trouble that has been started because of police attitude and heavy handed tactics shown against us especially on trips to Glasgow,Dundee etc where we are treated like *****.I think it's you that has to get out a bit more often PS. I don't think i mentioned about paying a tenner for a copy of any video.

O dear someone doesn't like the police

Tinribs
11-01-2014, 05:00 PM
I reckon they were hoping to be first to post on youtube if another hibby was to disappear if we'd scored

Quality :top marks

marinello59
11-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Cause they are #####

They've been doing for a right few years now. Outrageous they are allowed to do it

Aye, every time is the same. There really is no need for it. It's a pity because the policing up there at the ground is much friendlier than it used to be. Old habits die hard I guess.

Sir David Gray
11-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Wasn't at the game last night but i've seen it done before.

It's a bit OTT but I can't really get too excited about it if i'm honest. As some have said already, if you're not doing anything wrong then i don't see why should worry about it.

Unfortunately there's people who go to games who are out to cause problems and anything which may deter that kind of behaviour is fine by me.

Gustavo Fring
11-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Unfortunately there's people who go to games who are out to cause problems and anything which may deter that kind of behaviour is fine by me.

really ?

i havnt seen a fight at the football in about 15 years

Gordy M
11-01-2014, 05:43 PM
really ?

i havnt seen a fight at the football in about 15 years
Mate, there was a fight between rangers and dunfermline fans involving about 40 -60 people in last 2/3 weeks, it was carnage....didnt see it reported anywhere, dunno why??

Carheenlea
11-01-2014, 05:51 PM
I was more annoyed that when walking up to the turnstiles the lads in front of me were thoroughly searched, but I was waved on with a smile and a "good evening" from the police officers. To not to have been considered likely to cause bother or carry dangerous items into the ground hit home my advance towards middle age. :Ummm:

Arch Stanton
11-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Mate, there was a fight between rangers and dunfermline fans involving about 40 -60 people in last 2/3 weeks, it was carnage....didnt see it reported anywhere, dunno why??

Figures though, there's never a policeman there to take photos when you need one!

Golden Bear
11-01-2014, 05:56 PM
I was more annoyed that when walking up to the turnstiles the lads in front of me were thoroughly searched, but I was waved on with a smile and a "good evening" from the police officers. To not to have been considered likely to cause bother or carry dangerous items into the ground hit home my advance towards middle age. :Ummm:

Dinnae kid yourself on Dave - you've been there for a couple of years already!

pedroorange1875
11-01-2014, 06:04 PM
As long as they don't monitor my usage of www.bigfloppybazongas.com, they can video me at the football.

Can you please re-post that link its not working for me?

Islington Hibs
11-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Guilty until proven innocent is the new way.

Keith_M
11-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Surely all the Police need is a quick look at the attire of the 'fans' on the way in.

Black Hooded Tops / Scarves over faces = Ultras. Search them for Flares

Stone Island = Casuals. Don't let them in.

See how easy it is and no camera required :greengrin

Gordy M
11-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Figures though, there's never a policeman there to take photos when you need one!
There was plenty of police....and id imagine cctv etc, was a few lifted i think. I meant wasnt reported in the press?? My point was, its because of these incidents, is why supporters are subjected to filming etc? Maybe if the bother that obviously is going on, was made more public then supporters would understand better??

Arch Stanton
11-01-2014, 07:30 PM
There was plenty of police....and id imagine cctv etc, was a few lifted i think. I meant wasnt reported in the press?? My point was, its because of these incidents, is why supporters are subjected to filming etc? Maybe if the bother that obviously is going on, was made more public then supporters would understand better??

The press are more than happy to report football violence - it is a big fave with them. If it wasn't reported by them then it was a complete non-story!!

If there is bother obviously going on then it would be obvious, don't you think?

If you can't post a link verifying your claim then forget it.

Arch Stanton
11-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Surely all the Police need is a quick look at the attire of the 'fans' on the way in.

That would surely divert resources from ferretting out plastic bottle carriers - a much bigger threat to society at large you must agree.

Gordy M
11-01-2014, 07:42 PM
The press are more than happy to report football violence - it is a big fave with them. If it wasn't reported by them then it was a complete non-story!!

If there is bother obviously going on then it would be obvious, don't you think?

If you can't post a link verifying your claim then forget it.
If it wasnt reported how can i post a link??? No bother mate if you don't believe me, but it 100% happened. It was 30th december, dunfy town centre.

Maybe the press do report violence in grounds, but they certainly dont report anywhere near the amount of football violence outside the grounds.

Arch Stanton
11-01-2014, 07:54 PM
If it wasnt reported how can i post a link??? No bother mate if you don't believe me, but it 100% happened. It was 30th december, dunfy town centre.

Maybe the press do report violence in grounds, but they certainly dont report anywhere near the amount of football violence outside the grounds.

I would argue that if it isn't happening in football grounds then it isn't football violence. The police won't catch thugs fighting in town centres by taking pictures of people in football grounds - this is the point I was making. Taking photos in Pittodrie is as useful as brewing up a pot of tea!

Gordy M
11-01-2014, 07:57 PM
I would argue that if it isn't happening in football grounds then it isn't football violence. The police won't catch thugs fighting in town centres by taking pictures of people in football grounds - this is the point I was making. Taking photos in Pittodrie is as useful as brewing up a pot of tea!
Yeh thats fair comment, however some of the thugs fighting in the town centre also go to the football, and if the polis taking photos of everyone going to the football catches these guys, then i have no problem with it:aok:

weonlywon6-2
11-01-2014, 09:57 PM

Is that you Taggart ?

weonlywon6-2
11-01-2014, 10:16 PM

Is that you Taggart ?

Dashing Bob S
11-01-2014, 11:36 PM

It's simply an overtime scam. Instead of fighting crime police are dining out on the casuals of the 80's of the 90's, who don't exist anymore.

gillie
12-01-2014, 02:34 AM
If it is effective on the war on drugs/paedophiles/Islamists (insert other scapegoats as appropriate) what have we got to worry about?
If our political rulers get too far ahead of us in surveillance, when the **** really hits the fan and we want to rebel it will be to late, survalianve is there for the benefit of the state and not how they would llike you to think that it'.there for your safety, I've got my tin hat on now, one day the minions will wake up but it I'll be too late

PerfectlyFranck
12-01-2014, 03:56 AM

No, it isn't.

Check the terms & conditions on your tickets or wherever you purchase your tickets from.
It is against the law to bring cameras or recording equipment into the stadium, not to mention take photographs or record videos.

You also accept that you may be photographed or filmed, also agreeing that the club may use photographs/videos of you.

It's all in the terms & conditions. :aok:

I think it's hysterical that people would find issue with the police filming supporters, are they only supposed to do it to the Green Brigade?
Certain families may feel safer amongst supporters with this presence. I hope they may help prevent idiots singing 'our' awful songs, verbal abuse & violence.
In addition to this, recording supporters may lead to action being taken against individuals; there will be solid evidence in cases of violence.

Hopefully it will be very effective against the sectarian chants from Celtc & Sevco supporters.
I don't think it would be justified for the police to solely film two clubs' supporters either.

Hibrandenburg
12-01-2014, 07:38 AM

I watched the last derby in the pub and there was no coverage of the smoke bomb incident or the fans on the pitch, I didn't even know about it until I saw it on here a day later.

The press/polis have realised that most of these eejits are attention seeking non entities and now deprive them of the attention they're seeking by not giving them air time. To do so would just encourage more cerebrally challenged welts to do similar.

Hibrandenburg
12-01-2014, 08:49 AM

I watched the last derby in the pub and there was no coverage of the smoke bomb incident or the fans on the pitch, I didn't even know about it until I saw it on here a day later.

The press/polis have realised that most of these eejits are attention seeking non entities and now deprive them of the attention they're seeking by not giving them air time. To do so would just encourage more cerebrally challenged welts to do similar.

weonlywon6-2
12-01-2014, 09:11 AM
If our political rulers get too far ahead of us in surveillance, when the **** really hits the fan and we want to rebel it will be to late, survalianve is there for the benefit of the state and not how they would llike you to think that it'.there for your safety, I've got my tin hat on now, one day the minions will wake up but it I'll be too late

surveillance is used throughout the world to keep an eye on the bad guys and bring them to justice , CCTV is there to help and assist local authorities and Police etc in ie tracking missing persons , trying to identify the thug that broke your nose for no apparent reason when you were walking with your wife along George Street and letting you know that there is a crash west bound on the M8 so you can take a different route and get to the airport on time

I think people are getting their nickers in a twist over nothing

imo

Scouse Hibee
12-01-2014, 09:15 AM

Oh dear, talk about confusing fiction with fact.

Diclonius
12-01-2014, 09:23 AM

"Look at us, we're doing something."

Bet you won't see a single camera when the Old Firm - i.e. the fans most likely to actually cause trouble - come to Pittodrie.

matty_f
12-01-2014, 09:27 AM
"Look at us, we're doing something."

Bet you won't see a single camera when the Old Firm - i.e. the fans most likely to actually cause trouble - come to Pittodrie.

Rangers (rip) were regularly filmed at away venues, especially Aberdeen.

God Petrie
12-01-2014, 09:33 AM
It's amazing how much trust people have in the police and government. To be honest, it's a concern that people think the police shouldn't be accountable and transparent purely because of their position.

Bristolhibby
12-01-2014, 09:41 AM

drunk fans
sober but violent fans
appalling referees

that's it

My friends wife is running the Bath Half Marathon for Cancer Research, in memory of her Auntie & Uncle who both died of cancer in the space of 18 months.

That's where my tenner has gone.

Don't really have a problem at football matches. Remember coming out of the Sparta ground in Prague and all the Tartan Army waving and thumbs upping the riot coppers with cameras.

As has been said, if it keeps nutters away, fine.

I would like to see some robust policing when Celtic and Hearts visit ER please.

J

Aldo
12-01-2014, 09:42 AM
It's amazing how much trust people have in the police and government. To be honest, it's a concern that people think the police shouldn't be accountable and transparent purely because of their position.

Off course they should be accountable and transparent. Why wouldn't they be.

So you don't trust/like the police or police officers from your comments

marinello59
12-01-2014, 09:49 AM

I think you are concerned about something that doesn't exist.

Scouse Hibee
12-01-2014, 09:50 AM

Eh.........Who thinks the Police shouldn't be accountable or transparent? Some people have lost trust in the Police due to certain events, however these events shouldn't tar the whole Police force. I think it's more amazing the amount of people who are willing to condemn the Police in everything they do. Imagine this country without a Police force!!!

weonlywon6-2
12-01-2014, 09:51 AM

I don't know of anyone, do you :greengrin

God Petrie
12-01-2014, 10:09 AM
The police should be accountable and transparent but if you question or criticise them then you hate everything the police do? Wow.

truehibernian
12-01-2014, 10:29 AM
The police should be accountable and transparent but if you question or criticise them then you hate everything the police do? Wow.

Surely everyone in society is accountable for their actions, at football or elsewhere ?

I've been going to games home and away, and abroad, for over 30 years - only once at football have I ever encountered 'bad policing' (directed at me) and that was at the League Cup final at Parkhead v Rangers and being shoved and jostled by a very rude, irate Strathclyde mounted cop.

I have however witnessed plenty fights and violence over the years and decades, as recently as this season, well after the game but involving Hibs casuals, all well known - I went to school with some of them and can still have casual chats with them (pardon the pun) if I see them through the week in the passing. Casuals are on the rise and still relevant sadly - and it's before and well after the game that trouble starts and is orchestrated and planned. Police are being proactive and gathering evidence and I'd support them in that - because in the legal profession you see horrible assaults and injuries caused by football hooligans, after a game, and evidence from the game itself can prove vital in bringing them to justice or identifying who may be responsible.

You get good police officers and bad ones. You get good bank managers and bad ones - good plumbers and bad plumbers. I was always brought up knowing the values of respect and common courtesy to others, plain and simple. I remember getting into bother when I was around 13 and back then cops were known for being 'hands on', yet the local cop who dealt with me was a lumbering gentle giant who shouted at me a wee bit but deservedly so - it was my folks I was scared of more than polis !

Sometimes I think people in this country live their lives 'being offended' and wanting confrontation with authority just for the sake of it. If you've nothing to hide you've nothing to worry about and you can live your life in relative peace and quiet - watch the game not the polis.

weonlywon6-2
12-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Surely everyone in society is accountable for their actions, at football or elsewhere ?

I've been going to games home and away, and abroad, for over 30 years - only once at football have I ever encountered 'bad policing' (directed at me) and that was at the League Cup final at Parkhead v Rangers and being shoved and jostled by a very rude, irate Strathclyde mounted cop.

I have however witnessed plenty fights and violence over the years and decades, as recently as this season, well after the game but involving Hibs casuals, all well known - I went to school with some of them and can still have casual chats with them (pardon the pun) if I see them through the week in the passing. Casuals are on the rise and still relevant sadly - and it's before and well after the game that trouble starts and is orchestrated and planned. Police are being proactive and gathering evidence and I'd support them in that - because in the legal profession you see horrible assaults and injuries caused by football hooligans, after a game, and evidence from the game itself can prove vital in bringing them to justice or identifying who may be responsible.

You get good police officers and bad ones. You get good bank managers and bad ones - good plumbers and bad plumbers. I was always brought up knowing the values of respect and common courtesy to others, plain and simple. I remember getting into bother when I was around 13 and back then cops were known for being 'hands on', yet the local cop who dealt with me was a lumbering gentle giant who shouted at me a wee bit but deservedly so - it was my folks I was scared of more than polis !

Sometimes I think people in this country live their lives 'being offended' and wanting confrontation with authority just for the sake of it. If you've nothing to hide you've nothing to worry about and you can live your life in relative peace and quiet - watch the game not the polis.

:top marks:aok:

NAE NOOKIE
12-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Erm ........... I dont really have a problem with the Police filming the crowd at fitba and such, if its used to weed out the eejits who cant contol themselves ... thats fine.

But anybody who thinks that information gathered by Police and Governmant agencies is always used in a fit and proper manner is kidding themselves on. The US government have had a bit of a hard time recently trying to explain why they have been bugging the phones of the presidents of supposedly friendly countries ... including Germany?

In the 60s / 70s MI5 bugged the phone of Harold Wilson the then Prime minister. I highly doubt that such things dont still go on.

The monitoring of PCs Mobile Phones and such like could I have no doubt help to stop terrorist attacks ..... but as a by product information will also come to light regarding the activities of groups who's activities, though perfectly legal, will still be of interest to the establishment in this country, who would like to curtail and even put a stop to their activities.

truehibernian
12-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Erm ........... I dont really have a problem with the Police filming the crowd at fitba and such, if its used to weed out the eejits who cant contol themselves ... thats fine.

But anybody who thinks that information gathered by Police and Governmant agencies is always used in a fit and proper manner is kidding themselves on. The US government have had a bit of a hard time recently trying to explain why they have been bugging the phones of the presidents of supposedly friendly countries ... including Germany?

In the 60s / 70s MI5 bugged the phone of Harold Wilson the then Prime minister. I highly doubt that such things dont still go on.

The monitoring of PCs Mobile Phones and such like could I have no doubt help to stop terrorist attacks ..... but as a by product information will also come to light regarding the activities of groups who's activities, though perfectly legal, will still be of interest to the establishment in this country, who would like to curtail and even put a stop to their activities.

Fair enough nae bovril you have a fair point - but can I ask (and of course don't answer if you think it's too personal) - have the authorities knocked on your door or affected your personal life due to what you've described above ? Or have you lived life relatively undisturbed by authorities over the years ?

I've never had, fortunately, any cause for concern or worries that the polis/govt/any other agency are going to knock on my door because I've been filmed at the football ?

truehibernian
12-01-2014, 10:45 AM
And that wasn't to be argumentative mate, just for debate bud.

God Petrie
12-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Fair enough nae bovril you have a fair point - but can I ask (and of course don't answer if you think it's too personal) - have the authorities knocked on your door or affected your personal life due to what you've described above ? Or have you lived life relatively undisturbed by authorities over the years ?

I've never had, fortunately, any cause for concern or worries that the polis/govt/any other agency are going to knock on my door because I've been filmed at the football ?

The fact they have the ability to knock on your door because you were filmed at the football is why you should question it.

truehibernian
12-01-2014, 10:50 AM
The fact they have the ability to knock on your door because you were filmed at the football is why you should question it.

Don't follow, why ? They need a reason to 'knock on your door', they are not going to just turn up one day, unannounced and give no reason as to their visit ?

It's harrassment otherwise and I've not heard of any Hibs supporter visited by the police for absolutely no reason, only due to them being filmed at a game ??

Gustavo Fring
12-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Don't follow, why ? They need a reason to 'knock on your door', they are not going to just turn up one day, unannounced and give no reason as to their visit ?

i got pulled over by them a few weeks ago and when i asked why they said they'd stopped me because they wanted to and they didnt need a reason ?

Arch Stanton
12-01-2014, 10:59 AM
I was just thinking, which I do occasionally, that it could be to do with people setting off flares - that would be a valid reason for filming. Mind you it would make more sense if it was part of a publicised campaign against that horrific practice.

truehibernian
12-01-2014, 11:00 AM
i got pulled over by them a few weeks ago and when i asked why they said they'd stopped me because they wanted to and they didnt need a reason ?

Well in those circumstances Paco you have grounds for a complaint against the police I would suggest :agree: was it football related (as per this debate on the thread) ?

Eyrie
12-01-2014, 11:01 AM

Happened to you a lot, has it? Or are you just being paranoid?

I'd think that anyone who does get such a visit is at least suspected of doing something illegal and not of simply supporting their team.

Gustavo Fring
12-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Well in those circumstances Paco you have grounds for a complaint against the police I would suggest :agree: was it football related (as per this debate on the thread) ?

nah i was on my way home from work

Hibiza
12-01-2014, 11:08 AM
standard fare

God Petrie
12-01-2014, 11:13 AM

I hope you said "How can I assist you in your investigations, officer? I'm not like those young rogues who knock your cap off and call you names. By being a police constable, I doubt you would abuse the power to stop me in my vehicle therefore eagerly anticipate assisting you in any way I can."

truehibernian
12-01-2014, 11:13 AM

Off the top of my legal head there are only a couple of bits of law that they could stop you for 'no reason', however usually if that legislation is used they do at least inform you as a courtesy - you've a right to feel aggrieved if you were stopped and not given any reason though (in my opinion).

My point stands though, if you've nothing to hide and folk are decent with you, it really doesn't bother me. I've been stopped two or three times coming back from trips abroad, routinely at customs, and although a hassle timewise, I've never ever lost sleep over it or become irate - nowt to hide, searched the bags, sent on my merry way - more serious things in life and going on in the world to worry myself about to be honest :agree:

God Petrie
12-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Off the top of my legal head there are only a couple of bits of law that they could stop you for 'no reason', however usually if that legislation is used they do at least inform you as a courtesy - you've a right to feel aggrieved if you were stopped and not given any reason though (in my opinion).

My point stands though, if you've nothing to hide and folk are decent with you, it really doesn't bother me. I've been stopped two or three times coming back from trips abroad, routinely at customs, and although a hassle timewise, I've never ever lost sleep over it or become irate - nowt to hide, searched the bags, sent on my merry way - more serious things in life and going on in the world to worry myself about to be honest :agree:

Did they give you a lollipop after stopping you and a nice big sticker to put on your satchel.

truehibernian
12-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Did they give you a lollipop after stopping you and a nice big sticker to put on your satchel.

Nope, just a friendly smile and a wee 'thanks for your patience sir' :aok: should I feel a wee bit lost and left out that the local polis haven't come to my door yet ? I've even made fresh coffee and laid out the Fox's Classics for them too :rolleyes:

Jack
12-01-2014, 11:20 AM

I'm not sure what your point is?

Knock! Knock!

Who's there?

The police. Were you at the football yesterday?

Yes.

We know, we saw you on the video.

I know, I saw you with your cameras.

God Petrie
12-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Nope, just a friendly smile and a wee 'thanks for your patience sir' :aok: should I feel a wee bit lost and left out that the local polis haven't come to my door yet ? I've even made fresh coffee and laid out the Fox's Classics for them too :rolleyes:

Ahh the good old boys in blue. They haven't visited me either but I'm sure the lovable fellows who came up with this ad campaign would never attempt to provoke or antagonise me should we ever cross paths!

http://t.co/5juTjwscBD

truehibernian
12-01-2014, 11:24 AM

Knock! Knock!

Who's there?

Yes.

Jack you missed a bit......

The Police - 'Do you want a lollipop and a sticker sir' ? :greengrin

marinello59
12-01-2014, 11:26 AM

Dearie me.

God Petrie
12-01-2014, 11:26 AM

Knock! Knock!

Who's there?

Yes.

My point was the police have the power to ruin lives therefore they should be scrutinised instead of blindly trusted.

marinello59
12-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Ahh the good old boys in blue. They haven't visited me either but I'm sure the lovable fellows who came up with this ad campaign would never attempt to provoke or antagonise me should we ever cross paths!

Wolfie? is that you?

One Day Soon
12-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Wolfie? is that you?

Pawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ta tha Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepul.

It doesn't say he's from Tooting so I guess not.

truehibernian
12-01-2014, 11:37 AM

Maybe for the Holy Ground, but tell me GP, when the media displayed around the world something they referred to as 'The UK Riots', were there any in Scotland or indeed Edinburgh ?

Maybe the authorities up here, police, councils, social work, teachers, etc etc are doing something a wee bit right seeing as we seemed to bypass of the rioting and nonsense down south ? Or maybe we are just, by and large, a right good law abiding culture up here and respect each other and should give ourselves a pat on the back for being decent folk- who knows eh ?

Like I say, you get ****holes in the police, but you get some right good guys/girls who immerse themselves in it to keep us all a wee bit safer at night. And I feel that the vast majority fall into the latter category.

Beefster
12-01-2014, 12:23 PM

No, he doesn't. The Police have the power to stop any vehicle for a routine check.

truehibernian
12-01-2014, 12:37 PM
No, he doesn't. The Police have the power to stop any vehicle for a routine check.

Yep, that's why I clarified things in the subsequent post beefster (Paco hadn't mentioned a car albeit said 'pulled over') - road traffic law and terrorism law are the bits of law I know of, and a section 60 for searching someone, where they don't need a reason as such - although you tend to find that officers give a reason out of courtesy.

I wrongly assumed Paco meant he was 'pulled' in the street and corrected myself :aok:

Aldo
12-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Yep, that's why I clarified things in the subsequent post beefster (Paco hadn't mentioned a car albeit said 'pulled over') - road traffic law and terrorism law are the bits of law I know of, and a section 60 for searching someone, where they don't need a reason as such - although you tend to find that officers give a reason out of courtesy. I wrongly assumed Paco meant he was 'pulled' in the street and corrected myself :aok:

Section 60 is usually used at Football games and Marches or Demos.

Jack
12-01-2014, 12:55 PM
My point was the police have the power to ruin lives therefore they should be scrutinised instead of blindly trusted.

I think they are scrutinised, probably than they would like.

truehibernian
12-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Section 60 is usually used at Football games and Marches or Demos.

Yep aldo, however they (police) need a reason to enforce that part of law and it has to be relative to serious violence/disorder in an area - and I think it relates to searching, you don't need to give name/address etc - but I'll happily stand corrected.

I just think that in all my years going to the football, the police have literally been the least of my worries - Hibs have been my worry at all times :greengrin I've always found the cops at games pretty reasonable and blended into the background but maybe that's just me.

Aldo
12-01-2014, 01:20 PM
Yep aldo, however they (police) need a reason to enforce that part of law and it has to be relative to serious violence/disorder in an area - and I think it relates to searching, you don't need to give name/address etc - but I'll happily stand corrected. I just think that in all my years going to the football, the police have literally been the least of my worries - Hibs have been my worry at all times :greengrin I've always found the cops at games pretty reasonable and blended into the background but maybe that's just me.

Yip. But they only need to believe there maybe serious violence for the powers to come into force and that includes requiring persons to remove hoods/scarfs/hats masks etc in order to see them clearly.

Keith_M
12-01-2014, 01:26 PM
In the last five years or so, the guys filming the actuall football have been my biggest reason for complaint.

I've had loads of sleepless nights because of those Aerosols.

:grr:

truehibernian
12-01-2014, 01:41 PM
In the last five years or so, the guys filming the actuall football have been my biggest reason for complaint.

I've had loads of sleepless nights because of those Aerosols.

:grr:

:greengrin very true keekaboo, very true !

Brizo
12-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Yip. But they only need to believe there maybe serious violence for the powers to come into force and that includes requiring persons to remove hoods/scarfs/hats masks etc in order to see them clearly.

Over the years I have seen the odd well kent face who has been banned by the club sitting in the stands disguised in a hood/scarf/ hat combo. Never seen any of these faces approached by the polis altho im sure polis intelligence and cctv will have identified theyre present in the ground.

Ive no problem with being filmed by the polis. If I do nothing wrong ive nothing to fear and don't believe its infringing my civil liberties. There are certain games where id have welcomed a greater police presence such as the SCF vs them when some of our pondlife were fighting amongst themselves and the police took far too long to get involved.

My experience of the polis is act like a wideo and you'll get treated like a wideo. Act respectfully and you'll be treated with respect. There are of course exceptions to that rule as some polis are obnoxious power hungry jobsworths but you find them in all jobs.

NAE NOOKIE
12-01-2014, 01:54 PM

Nae probs TH I'm an open book mostly.

Like 99.9% of the population I have never had the proverbial knock on the door. In fact my dealings with the Police apart from on two minor occasions have been nothing but positive ..... I was once prompted to write a letter of thanks to the Chief constable of L & B Police to express my gratitude at the fantastic way I was treated by one officer during a traumatic period in my life.

To be honest anybody who needs to know anything about my social outlook or Politics need only to scan my posts on here to see what a Left wing Commie Pinko Liberal I am :greengrin

But .... Just because I have never been troubled by the authorities doesnt mean to say that I would allow myself to be blinded to the fact that when it comes to a perceived threat to national security the authorities would not hesitate to use information gathered by less than open or legal means to put down or damage perfectly legal causes to which I am sympathetic, or even ones to which I am not.

Though not relative to how the government uses information, here are some examples of why I think it is foolish to blindly allow yourself to think that governments always act in an open and honest manner.

The death of Dr David Kelly the scientist who was critical of the WMD in Iraq theory as far as I am concerned remains unexplained and extremely troublesome.

It is a fact that the Police were used by Thatcher's government as a political tool during the miners strikes in the 80s. I am not blaming the rank and file Police as such for this ... but I am convinced that here is a case of a UK government engineering a situation to its advantage to the point of wanting the situation to turn ugly and violent in order to bring about the realisation of a bigger goal .... that being to crush the powers of trade unions in general, with the miners strikes being a means to that end and sod who got hurt in the process. Thatcher and her right wing cronies without a second thought used the Police as a dupe in that process and in particular the West Yorkshire Police. The guys at the top in that force were I have no doubt aware of how they were being used but turned a blind eye ..... She later rewarded them by failing to properly investigate the West Yorkshire Police forces failings in the Hillsborough disaster.

There can be no doubt that the Unions to an extent had gotten out of contol and were taking things too far in some cases. But Thatcher wasnt happy to just bring things to order ... She wanted unions sidelined for ever and that is now to a large extent what has happened, to the detriment of the ordinary working person .... in my opinion.

I am convinced that the true power in this country lies with the old school tie network which by its very nature lies to the right in a political and social sense. It sees as a danger any school of thought or action which deviates from the capitalist ideal and will do what is required to maintain the status quo.

This is not just a right wing problem though. Harlold Wilson's government used a little known process called 'an order in council' to circumvent the Parliamentary and legal process in order to to evict the residents of the Island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean to make way for a US airforce base. In the 90s Blair's government tried to invoke the same process to prevent the islanders ever returning, even though they had won a high court ruling saying that they could.

For an 'order in council' to be put into affect all you have to do is get the Queen to sign it, setting aside Parliamentary process and the rule of law ................. Just a figurehead is it ?

I agree that some folk can be paranoid ..... but there is nothing wrong with healthy and active suspicion based on historical evidence.

Oops .... Rant over :greengrin

truehibernian
12-01-2014, 02:11 PM

Like 99.9% of the population I have never had the proverbial knock on the door. In fact my dealings with the Police apart from on two minor occasions have been nothing but positive ..... I was once prompted to write a letter of thanks to the Chief constable of L & B Police to express my gratitude at the fantastic way I was treated by one officer during a traumatic period in my life.

To be honest anybody who needs to know anything about my social outlook or Politics need only to scan my posts on here to see what a Left wing Commie Pinko Liberal I am :greengrin

But .... Just because I have never been troubled by the authorities doesnt mean to say that I would allow myself to be blinded to the fact that when it comes to a perceived threat to national security the authorities would not hesitate to use information gathered by less than open or legal means to put down or damage perfectly legal causes to which I am sympathetic, or even ones to which I am not.

Though not relative to how the government uses information, here are some examples of why I think it is foolish to blindly allow yourself to think that governments always act in an open and honest manner.

The death of Dr David Kelly the scientist who was critical of the WMD in Iraq theory as far as I am concerned remains unexplained and extremely troublesome.

It is a fact that the Police were used by Thatcher's government as a political tool during the miners strikes in the 80s. I am not blaming the rank and file Police as such for this ... but I am convinced that here is a case of a UK government engineering a situation to its advantage to the point of wanting the situation to turn ugly and violent in order to bring about the realisation of a bigger goal .... that being to crush the powers of trade unions in general, with the miners strikes being a means to that end and sod who got hurt in the process. Thatcher and her right wing cronies without a second thought used the Police as a dupe in that process and in particular the West Yorkshire Police. The guys at the top in that force were I have no doubt aware of how they were being used but turned a blind eye ..... She later rewarded them by failing to properly investigate the West Yorkshire Police forces failings in the Hillsborough disaster.

There can be no doubt that the Unions to an extent had gotten out of contol and were taking things too far in some cases. But Thatcher wasnt happy to just bring things to order ... She wanted unions sidelined for ever and that is now to a large extent what has happened, to the detriment of the ordinary working person .... in my opinion.

I am convinced that the true power in this country lies with the old school tie network which by its very nature lies to the right in a political and social sense. It sees as a danger any school of thought or action which deviates from the capitalist ideal and will do what is required to maintain the status quo.

This is not just a right wing problem though. Harlold Wilson's government used a little known process called 'an order in council' to circumvent the Parliamentary and legal process in order to to evict the residents of the Island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean to make way for a US airforce base. In the 90s Blair's government tried to invoke the same process to prevent the islanders ever returning, even though they had won a high court ruling saying that they could.

For an 'order in council' to be put into affect all you have to do is get the Queen to sign it, setting aside Parliamentary process and the rule of law ................. Just a figurehead is it ?

I agree that some folk can be paranoid ..... but there is nothing wrong with healthy and active suspicion based on historical evidence.

Very good and well considered post mate :aok: and I think we would all agree that there has been abuses of power, rank, position and government over recent times. Sadly it is now part of human nature - greed, power, position and selfish need.

However........in Edinburgh, and at or not at football, I have always found police to be pretty decent, friendly and positive people. A bit like teaching, nursing, social work, etc, they no doubt see the best and worst that life brings under quite often enormous pressure. I'll reiterate what I posted earlier - the UK Riots were not experienced up here, anywhere - an extreme example I know (relevant to today given last week's verdict). Which leads me to think that despite all our angst, woes, troubles and issues, here in Scotland and and specifically the East of Scotland (as that's where I live), we collectively must be doing something right for us, and our younger generation in particular, not to jump on that bandwagon and 'take up arms'.

What is worryingly noticeable however is the 'Glasgowfication' of our police services since last year :agree:

weonlywon6-2
12-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Over the years I have seen the odd well kent face who has been banned by the club sitting in the stands disguised in a hood/scarf/ hat combo. Never seen any of these faces approached by the polis altho im sure polis intelligence and cctv will have identified theyre present in the ground.

Ive no problem with being filmed by the polis. If I do nothing wrong ive nothing to fear and don't believe its infringing my civil liberties. There are certain games where id have welcomed a greater police presence such as the SCF vs them when some of our pondlife were fighting amongst themselves and the police took far too long to get involved.

My experience of the polis is act like a wideo and you'll get treated like a wideo. Act respectfully and you'll be treated with respect. There are of course exceptions to that rule as some polis are obnoxious power hungry jobsworths but you find them in all jobs.

spot on :top marks

weonlywon6-2
12-01-2014, 02:22 PM

The death of Dr David Kelly the scientist who was critical of the WMD in Iraq theory as far as I am concerned remains unexplained and extremely troublesome. It is a fact that the Police were used by Thatcher's government as a political tool during the miners strikes in the 80s. I am not blaming the rank and file Police as such for this ... but I am convinced that here is a case of a UK government engineering a situation to its advantage to the point of wanting the situation to turn ugly and violent in order to bring about the realisation of a bigger goal .... that being to crush the powers of trade unions in general, with the miners strikes being a means to that end and sod who got hurt in the process. Thatcher and her right wing cronies without a second thought used the Police as a dupe in that process and in particular the West Yorkshire Police. The guys at the top in that force were I have no doubt aware of how they were being used but turned a blind eye ..... She later rewarded them by failing to properly investigate the West Yorkshire Police forces failings in the Hillsborough disaster.

I think Tony B-liar had one agenda and was never going to listen to facts

To do this day the Police in some communities are still known as Thatcher's boys due to the strikes and there was a big divide between police and miners during the strikes. That was then, this is now and times have moved on considerably. Now ,if you have a large protest outside a factory or similar there is usually good banter between police and folk demonstrating

Beefster
12-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Yep, that's why I clarified things in the subsequent post beefster (Paco hadn't mentioned a car albeit said 'pulled over') - road traffic law and terrorism law are the bits of law I know of, and a section 60 for searching someone, where they don't need a reason as such - although you tend to find that officers give a reason out of courtesy.

I wrongly assumed Paco meant he was 'pulled' in the street and corrected myself :aok:

Sorry, I completely missed your further post. You seem to know way more than me!

weonlywon6-2
12-01-2014, 02:31 PM

I got stopped last year in Dunoon by traffic cops as my tailight was dodgy, they helped me fix it at the side of the road and were very pleasant

silverhibee
12-01-2014, 02:41 PM
I got stopped last year in Dunoon by traffic cops as my taillight was dodgy, they helped me fix it at the side of the road and were very pleasant, I know they are not all like that though !!

I got told to behave along with a few others in a pub in Glasgow, what happened next was hilarious.

A we private joke with a poster on here, :greengrin lets just say the bar staff lady was gobsmacked when she got her reply. :tee hee:

weonlywon6-2
12-01-2014, 02:44 PM
I got told to behave along with a few others in a pub in Glasgow, what happened next was hilarious.

A we private joke with a poster on here, :greengrin lets just say the bar staff lady was gobsmacked when she got her reply. :tee hee:

Hooligan :greengrin:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
12-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Very good and well considered post mate :aok: and I think we would all agree that there has been abuses of power, rank, position and government over recent times. Sadly it is now part of human nature - greed, power, position and selfish need.

However........in Edinburgh, and at or not at football, I have always found police to be pretty decent, friendly and positive people. A bit like teaching, nursing, social work, etc, they no doubt see the best and worst that life brings under quite often enormous pressure. I'll reiterate what I posted earlier - the UK Riots were not experienced up here, anywhere - an extreme example I know (relevant to today given last week's verdict). Which leads me to think that despite all our angst, woes, troubles and issues, here in Scotland and and specifically the East of Scotland (as that's where I live), we collectively must be doing something right for us, and our younger generation in particular, not to jump on that bandwagon and 'take up arms'.

What is worryingly noticeable however is the 'Glasgowfication' of our police services since last year :agree:

Cant help but notice that too. The glaring example being the Sauna crackdown. If there is one thing that history has told us its that you will never get rid of the oldest profession and for years Edinburgh has been a leading light in the theory that its better to control a problem you cant get rid of. To my mind so long as you ensure that the workers in these places are not being coerced or intimidated in any way then its job done. Better that than endangering girls by forcing them onto the streets, which will be the end result of the current policy.

Glasgow has a very different approach to Edinburgh in this area and it would appear that as you say Police Scotland appears to be very much heading in the direction of Police Glasgow.

It would be interesting to see stats for percentages of attacks and ( unfortunately ) murders on 'working girls' from Edinburgh and Glasgow over the last 10 years to see how the two cities policies match up.

Aldo
12-01-2014, 03:15 PM
I got told to behave along with a few others in a pub in Glasgow, what happened next was hilarious. :faf: A we private joke with a poster on here, :greengrin lets just say the bar staff lady was gobsmacked when she got her reply. :tee hee:

Ha ha ha yes indeed Silver. Her face was an absolute picture. Think her chin hit the ground.

Quality day with quality company.

:-D

weonlywon6-2
12-01-2014, 04:18 PM

Haha,that attachment is hilarious, not seen it put that way before but the Met officer has a good point !

Keith_M
12-01-2014, 05:04 PM
After much consideration I've decided, to make the life of the Police much easier, that I'm going to walk about with a Video Camera suspended by a wire around 3 feet in front of my face and have live streaming of the video on the internet.

Is that law abiding, or what?

:wink:

weonlywon6-2
12-01-2014, 05:14 PM
After much consideration I've decided, to make the life of the Police much easier, that I'm going to walk about with a Video Camera suspended by a wire around 3 feet in front of my face and have live streaming of the video on the internet.

Is that law abiding, or what?

:wink:

ah but you could end up videoing someone else in the background and that breaches their human rights:duck:

Jonnyboy
12-01-2014, 06:39 PM

As are some football fans which is possibly why filming takes place.

I'm interested to know from God Petrie just how the 'polis' know which door to knock after they've filmed you? Did they ask for your name and address perhaps?

Sir David Gray
12-01-2014, 07:48 PM

I've been to quite a few football matches over the past 20 years.

I've yet to receive a knock on my door from the Police after one of those several hundred games though.

Eyrie
12-01-2014, 09:39 PM
I've been to quite a few football matches over the past 20 years.

I've yet to receive a knock on my door from the Police after one of those several hundred games though.

I've been stopped once by a policeman when entering Easter Road, and that was only because he wanted to know where I'd bought my coat because he was looking to buy one. Never had any actual problems with them.

monktonharp
12-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Why were the police at pittodrie standing with a camera filming the Hibs support yesterday? I thought we were well behaved so not sure what they were up to.I have only your post, and my response is: the last time Iwas up there, which was a mundane midweek game a couple of years ago, they actually had a polis man/woman positioned at the end of each row of the Hibs fans throughout the game. the polis were filming everything, as it was about to break into a riot! . at half time, a young student type laddie got arresterd for tossing his hat into the air, which landed about 2 rows down from him. we were amazed, shocked ,and tried to get answer from them as to why they took this hard line. no answers other than behave or you will be next!

gillie
13-01-2014, 10:54 AM
surveillance is used throughout the world to keep an eye on the bad guys and bring them to justice , CCTV is there to help and assist local authorities and Police etc in ie tracking missing persons , trying to identify the thug that broke your nose for no apparent reason when you were walking with your wife along George Street and letting you know that there is a crash west bound on the M8 so you can take a different route and get to the airport on time

I think people are getting their nickers in a twist over nothing

imo
Have to agree with what you say above, but what I was trying to say but failed probably due to my intoxication has been well put by nae bovril in a later post,

weonlywon6-2
13-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Have to agree with what you say above, but what I was trying to say but failed probably due to my intoxication has been well put by nae bovril in a later post,

If its the one about the police now being called police glasgow then he is spot on !!!

Aldo
13-01-2014, 06:23 PM
If its the one about the police now being called police glasgow then he is spot on !!!

Ha ha

In other words

GLASGOWFICATION

gillie
13-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Nope was nae that one, I've not mentioned the police I don't have a problem with the boys in blue, the one where he rants on about the state etc. Etc. Etc.

ronaldo7
13-01-2014, 08:36 PM

As well as the Yuill and Dodds convoys bringing up American coal...The *******s.

Good post :aok:

weonlywon6-2
13-01-2014, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=Aldo;3870040]Ha ha

In other words

GLASGOWFICATION[/QUOTE
Jeez yeah , be taking vinegar on my chips next with a bottle of ginger !

Aldo
13-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Ha ha. Nowt wrang wi a bottle o ginger and that.
;-D