PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever bought a new car on-line?

Hibbyradge
16-12-2013, 09:46 PM
There are a number of web sites which offer new cars at discount price.

For example, http://www.broadspeed.com/ , http://www.drivethedeal.com/

The discounts are significant.

Is there a catch?

Hibrandenburg
16-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Once sold a car on eBay. The buyer handed over the cash on receipt of the vehicle. At that time eBay demanded a certificate from an independent garage explaining the condition of the car. There's no way I'd commit to a deal without similar insurance.

Hibbyradge
16-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Once sold a car on eBay. The buyer handed over the cash on receipt of the vehicle. At that time eBay demanded a certificate from an independent garage explaining the condition of the car. There's no way I'd commit to a deal without similar insurance.

These cars are brand new.

Hibrandenburg
16-12-2013, 10:08 PM
These cars are brand new.

Think the key word in those ads is FROM.'

Hibbyradge
16-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Think the key word in those ads is FROM.'

No. I'm not looking at those adverts.

The box on the top left is for buying new cars.

There's no "from" involved, just discounted prices.

Try it.

McSwanky
16-12-2013, 10:17 PM
I had a look at broadspeed and autoebid a few years back and they got pretty good reviews then. As it happened, I decided to go with a second hand car so didn't use them but I would definitely use them if I was buying new. Saves the haggling with salesmen which I absolutely loathe.

lapsedhibee
17-12-2013, 08:25 AM
I had a look at broadspeed and autoebid a few years back and they got pretty good reviews then. As it happened, I decided to go with a second hand car so didn't use them but I would definitely use them if I was buying new. Saves the haggling with salesmen which I absolutely loathe.

:agree:

I have been toying with idea of buying on-line for same reason. A relative bought from Carquake recently with no problems and reckoned he saved about £3000 on his Qashqai.

Gatecrasher
17-12-2013, 09:16 AM

Is there a catch?

I just searched my car and it's slighly cheaper than what I'm paying but with the dealer i got 3 years free servicing, free breakdown cover and a free spec upgrade, which probably makes up the difference.

speedy_gonzales
17-12-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm sure I'll be corrected by someone who actually works in the industry, but the way a lot of these brokers work is by taking your order then faxing/emailing dealers up and down the country. Most dealers will not entertain the business but sometimes, if trade is slack, a dealer will bite. Theoretically you could do it yourself, pick a car, name your price then email every dealership in the country :greengrin.
The downside is there can be a fair wait from time of purchase to delivery of vehicle.
I contemplated using a broker a couple of years back when I bought my current car. In the end I showed the dealer the brokers price and we negotiated from there. I got the car I wanted, at a price less than I'd expected to pay and delivery of the car quicker than any broker could manage.

Hibbyradge
17-12-2013, 03:22 PM
I've been offered a car to arrive in the middle of January for about £2500 less than list price and £1000 less than I negotiated with the dealership.

Delivery time is the same if not slightly earlier.

speedy_gonzales
17-12-2013, 11:03 PM
I've been offered a car to arrive in the middle of January for about £2500 less than list price and £1000 less than I negotiated with the dealership.

Delivery time is the same if not slightly earlier.
In that case consider me a Yam that knows not what he speaks of:aok:
If they can guarantee delivery and the price is genuine then go for it, there is a lot of protection for consumers these days and no business is going to risk tarnishing there name with the likes of FB, Twitter etc.
As I said before, I was all for using a broker, Drive the Deal, but the high street dealer came very close to the offered price and as they are a local dealership(Broxburn) I thought I'd patronise them before I went to 'big boys'!

Hibby70
18-12-2013, 07:11 AM

Is there a catch?

Got my last car from NewCarDiscount. Saved a load on a brand new focus estate diesel. Traded in old car - sent description they sent a cost. Man drove new car up and took old one away. No problems whatsoever.

Hibrandenburg
18-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Got my last car from NewCarDiscount. Saved a load on a brand new focus estate diesel. Traded in old car - sent description they sent a cost. Man drove new car up and took old one away. No problems whatsoever.

What about after sale customer service? I'd imagine it's harder to pin someone down if you have problems? :dunno:

Hibbyradge
18-12-2013, 02:55 PM
What about after sale customer service? I'd imagine it's harder to pin someone down if you have problems? :dunno:

The main dealer will provide that.

Hibbyradge
18-12-2013, 04:16 PM
I found this;

"A lot of customers are led to believe that they will get better service should they buy from their local dealer. Some are even told this by the staff in the dealership.

This is completely wrong! There are a set of standards that a franchise dealer is bound by as part of their franchise agreement and these standards are required to be followed regardless of where a customer has bought from.

So if you do live in Inverness and decide to purchase a car from Plymouth you will receive exactly the same reception from your local dealer regardless whether they are supplying dealer or not. In fact they will be very grateful for the business as any time they spend on your car or any parts that may require replacement will be funded through a customer warranty claim from the manufacturer.

The irony is that they very people who try and put you off buying from alternative dealerships – generally members of the sales department – are those who will inevitably run for the hills at the first whiff of a customer problem leaving the service department to deal with the fallout."