PDA

View Full Version : Planespotting

Carheenlea
24-11-2013, 01:53 PM
The first half of yesterdays game was far from edge of the seat stuff, but one fan chose to pass the time enthusiastically identifying the many aircraft in the skies above St Mirren Park, and armed with some kind of app on his phone he informed all within earshot of the type of aircraft and their routes and destinations. Have seen fans reading a book, playing games on their phone and even sleeping during less than thrilling performances, but this was an entertaining new one! :nerd:

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-11-2013, 01:59 PM
I wish i'd been sitting there instead of two seats away from a young lassie that seemed incapable of stringing two words together without one of them being a swear word. I'm by no means a prude, but, it was really getting on my bosoms! :-)

snooky
24-11-2013, 02:02 PM
The first half of yesterdays game was far from edge of the seat stuff, but one fan chose to pass the time enthusiastically identifying the many aircraft in the skies above St Mirren Park, and armed with some kind of app on his phone he informed all within earshot of the type of aircraft and their routes and destinations. Have seen fans reading a book, playing games on their phone and even sleeping during less than thrilling performances, but this was an entertaining new one! :nerd:

Thoughout the past several years I've developed a quite a knack for counting the gulls at ER. I've even given them names.

I think Bert is the best of the flock. Sadly, a wee bird told me he was thinking about flying west as there's been nothing worth *****ing on for a while. :wink:

Bishop Hibee
24-11-2013, 02:08 PM
A mate of mine has been known to do The Scotsman crossword during dull matches :nerd: I also knew a Hertz fan who was a bus spotter and would note the type of bus he got to and from games :crazy: Sat up the back of the bus "for the thrash" of the engine apparently :yamlaugh:

scuttle
24-11-2013, 02:30 PM

What a Boeing individual he must have been

Pretty Boy
24-11-2013, 02:48 PM
I've become a bit of a chess whizz by playing it on my phone at ER the last couple of seasons.

Nowhere near as bad as planespotting though.

Jack
24-11-2013, 05:24 PM
When I was a young lad my pals and I used to plane spot during games and that was at the time of the Tornadoes! I do it now and again these days much to the bewilderment of my daughter.

Much easier then as the East was an open top terracing :-)

Counting the number of folk on the top of Arthurs Seat was another pastime.

Oh for the old days of exciting, entertaining football again!!!!

weonlywon6-2
24-11-2013, 05:40 PM
I wish i'd been sitting there instead of two seats away from a young lassie that seemed incapable of stringing two words together without one of them being a swear word. I'm by no means a prude, but, it was really getting on my bosoms! :-)

I had a group of guys behind be in section N4 thought ripped the team to bits constantly and just kept on swearing when there was clearly a lot kids around them.

I dont remember at any point them actually giving support to the team

maturehibby
24-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Barring the fact I know he was working I would have said it was Givescotlandfreedom as he too has that app and has been able to tell me what planes are flying over ER when we have been performing particularly bad - my particular favourite at this time is to read the Evening news - how sad - we buy a season ticket year upon year and take to doing other things when the game is on

heretoday
24-11-2013, 05:47 PM

Hear Hear!

Sitting in an uncomfortable seat, watching second-rate fare and having to listen to neanderthals.

I get enough of that at home!

Zondervan
24-11-2013, 06:23 PM

If he was sitting at the end of a section in Row 2 then it was me!

Flightradar24.

#planegeek

SkintHibby
24-11-2013, 06:52 PM

Flightradar24.

#planegeek

I'm a plane geek too. Thanks for the name of the app mate!:thumbsup:

Billy Whizz
24-11-2013, 06:57 PM

Don't know if it was the same person. Someone can in around 10 mins after the start of the game. He was wearing a Tartan scarf and was sitting in the row 3 from the back, with the goal slightly to his right.
He was on his phone talking about planes flying to Los Angeles etc.
There was a bit of a verbal nasty incident between him and someone in front of him. He called the steward and then eventually disappeared

Carheenlea
24-11-2013, 07:23 PM

Flightradar24.

#planegeek

No, not you, but it does look like we have a few aviation enthusiasts among our support, which I suppose is a less than glowing endorsement of the fare we have been watching in recent times!

Don't know if it was the same person. Someone can in around 10 mins after the start of the game. He was wearing a Tartan scarf and was sitting in the row 3 from the back, with the goal slightly to his right.
He was on his phone talking about planes flying to Los Angeles etc.
There was a bit of a verbal nasty incident between him and someone in front of him. He called the steward and then eventually disappeared

Yes, that was the area. Someone did appear to be irritated by his running commentary of air traffic, and words were exchanged.

down-the-slope
24-11-2013, 07:36 PM
No, not you, but it does look like we have a few aviation enthusiasts among our support, which I suppose is a less than glowing endorsement of the fare we have been watching in recent times!

Yes, that was the area. Someone did appear to be irritated by his running commentary of air traffic, and words were exchanged.

:tee hee: I have heard some absolute tripe / abuse / bad language all spouted at matches and would have every right to get irrate about it......but losing the plot because someone was plane spotting.....thats is just too funny

Pretty Boy
24-11-2013, 07:41 PM
:tee hee: I have heard some absolute tripe / abuse / bad language all spouted at matches and would have every right to get irrate about it......but losing the plot because someone was plane spotting.....thats is just too funny

'Haw you. If you mention Beoing one mair time ahm gawn tae rip yer heid aff. Am an Airbus man, the A380 is gettin thousand mair orders than the new 747 so get tae **** ya radge.'

Irish_Steve
24-11-2013, 07:53 PM
I couldnt go so at one point watching on TV, found myself staring out the kitchen window watching two planes making the most perfect Saltire in the sky!

scuttle
24-11-2013, 08:01 PM
I couldnt go so at one point watching on TV, found myself staring out the kitchen window watching two planes making the most perfect Saltire in the sky!

We could do with a couple of wingers right enough

AltheHibby
24-11-2013, 08:01 PM

Flightradar24.

#planegeek

Might as well make my first post a geeky one - if you go to the Edinburgh Airport website you can see flight radar for all flights in the air to/from the airport.

Only problem is it reminds me of a lobbed backpass I made in an under-14s game when the keeper was planespotting and only saw my pass as it dropped over him in to the net. :rolleyes:

#hibee
24-11-2013, 08:13 PM
I was sitting close to a guy who was willing on some planes to crash into each other! He had a stopwatch app on his phone which he kept looking at to see how long was left in the game!

Zondervan
24-11-2013, 08:34 PM

This one?!

nonshinyfinish
24-11-2013, 09:41 PM

A guy in front of me shouted, and this is verbatim, 'F***ing Collins and f***ing Handling are never f***ing out the f***ing centre circle!'

Generally I don't buy the claim that swearing denotes a lack of vocabulary, but I'd have to concede the point in this case.

GordonHFC
25-11-2013, 01:29 PM
When I was a young lad my pals and I used to plane spot during games and that was at the time of the Tornadoes! I do it now and again these days much to the bewilderment of my daughter.

Much easier then as the East was an open top terracing :-)

Counting the number of folk on the top of Arthurs Seat was another pastime.

Oh for the old days of exciting, entertaining football again!!!!

If you were at the top of the old open East Terrace you could almost talk to the pilot :greengrin

JohnStephens91
25-11-2013, 01:36 PM
I had a group of guys behind be in section N4 thought ripped the team to bits constantly and just kept on swearing when there was clearly a lot kids around them.

I dont remember at any point them actually giving support to the team

Sadly this seemed to be the case with the people that were next to me, part of Section 43 too, Handling was called a ***** on several occasions and then the guy and his friends bragged about how they abused him over social media. They abused the likes of Cairney and Collins too. Oh and they were abusing the stewards when they were told to sit down and sang a cringey song about the stewards too.

I was forced to stand for spells of the game because the guy in front of me wouldn't sit down and some of the wee boys in Section 43 were asking me to move to let them squeeze in and have two people to a chair. It's an all-seater stadium and you have to sit down, it's not hard to understand. I wish I was next to the planespotter.

Glesgahibby
25-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Couldn't have been me,the only planes I recognise are "IBIZA" bound and sadly the party season is over :greengrin

southfieldhibby
25-11-2013, 04:11 PM
I was in the back row beside the aisle and the three grown men infront of me not only played some sort of tablet-based football game for the entirety of the match, but suffered from the worst BO I've ever encountered.Seriously bad to the point it almost had texture.Have a bath ffs.

greenpaper55
25-11-2013, 04:23 PM
A guy in front of me shouted, and this is verbatim, 'F***ing Collins and f***ing Handling are never f***ing out the f***ing centre circle!'

Generally I don't buy the claim that swearing denotes a lack of vocabulary, but I'd have to concede the point in this case.

Your f****** right their !.

Rev Green
25-11-2013, 04:40 PM
I remember a few years ago being with one of my grandsons and hoping he would soon show an interest in the football. As our winger (shows how long ago this was) weaved his way along the byline he seemed to be taking an avid interest. Delighted I asked him to describe to me what he was watching.
'I think that's an Easy Jet he said!!

Stax
25-11-2013, 09:40 PM
My 10 yr old son and I were at the game and he pointed this out as well, he reckoned they looked like rockets had made it though

Hermit Crab
25-11-2013, 09:46 PM

I had a roaster beside me screaming shut up at the st mirren fans for claiming everything. That's exactly what he did whenever a tackle went in on a hibs player. :-/

Silversand
25-11-2013, 09:52 PM
'Haw you. If you mention Beoing one mair time ahm gawn tae rip yer heid aff. Am an Airbus man, the A380 is gettin thousand mair orders than the new 747 so get tae **** ya radge.'

Boeing out, Airbus in.

Have got the plane app, too - not used it at ER ... yet ... :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Why would the St Mirren fans be claiming for fouls against Hibs players? Wasnae BF was it? ;-)

Baldy Foghorn
25-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Why would the St Mirren fans be claiming for fouls against Hibs players? Wasnae BF was it? ;-)

Nope......I had enough of the people around me and moved seats for second half.......

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Were you getting sick of the boy in front of you rubbing your head? my old man was getting annoyed on your behalf! :-)

Baldy Foghorn
25-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Were you getting sick of the boy in front of you rubbing your head? my old man was getting annoyed on your behalf! :-)

That and Rooney:greengrin

Jonnyboy
25-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Sadly this seemed to be the case with the people that were next to me, part of Section 43 too, Handling was called a ***** on several occasions and then the guy and his friends bragged about how they abused him over social media. They abused the likes of Cairney and Collins too. Oh and they were abusing the stewards when they were told to sit down and sang a cringey song about the stewards too.

I was forced to stand for spells of the game because the guy in front of me wouldn't sit down and some of the wee boys in Section 43 were asking me to move to let them squeeze in and have two people to a chair. It's an all-seater stadium and you have to sit down, it's not hard to understand. I wish I was next to the planespotter.

Eejits, plain (pun not intended) and simple

s2hart
26-11-2013, 12:36 AM
Eezyjets, plain (pun not intended) and simple

Sorry couldn't help myself in correcting it for you :greengrin

Jonnyboy
26-11-2013, 03:39 PM
I had a roaster beside me screaming shut up at the st mirren fans for claiming everything. That's exactly what he did whenever a tackle went in on a hibs player. :-/

I shouted at them to shup up a few times, maybe I'm that roaster :greengrin

In my defence I find shouting at the opposition and their fans infinitely preferable to shouting abuse at our own players :greengrin

Jonnyboy
26-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Sorry couldn't help myself in correcting it for you :greengrin

:thumbsup: