PDA

View Full Version : Performances in last year

The Sea-gull
04-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Seems to me that aside from taking the occasional humping and dishing out the very occasional one ourselves, we have churned out the same performance time after time.

Slow, one paced, lacking a cutting edge, hoofball at times.

If you look at most of our results, we either lose by one goal, fight out a low score bore draw or win by the odd goal. Our games rarely finish anything other than 1-0, 1-1, 0-0 or 2-1.

We put in the same performance. If we are lucky we get a win, if we are unlucky we get beat. We play football on the fine line of winning and losing and this is why we have tended to sit around 6th or 7th for much of the last 12 months.

We need to change our style. Go 4-3-3. Robertson, Thomson and Craig would be a solid midfield three and we would have Taiwo and OTJ to deputise. Get a couple of pacy tricky players either side of Heff or Collins and you never know, they might start scoring goals.

This rigid, lacking in width and creation 4-4-2/4-5-1 that Fenlon has subjected us to is not working. Hopefully the new man can get our players playing to a new style and if he can't , bring in a few players who can play like this.

Pace, creation and goalscorers are everything in most leagues. Have that and you will "win more than you lose" as Tony Mowbray used to say.

Smiggy 7-0
04-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Seems to me that aside from taking the occasional humping and dishing out the very occasional one ourselves, we have churned out the same performance time after time.

If you look at most of our results, we either lose by one goal, fight out a low score bore draw or win by the odd goal. Our games rarely finish anything other than 1-0, 1-1, 0-0 or 2-1.

We put in the same performance. If we are lucky we get a win, if we are unlucky we get beat. We play football on the fine line of winning and losing and this is why we have tended to sit around 6th or 7th for much of the last 12 months.

We need to change our style. Go 4-3-3. Robertson, Thomson and Craig would be a solid midfield three and we would have Taiwo and OTJ to deputise. Get a couple of pacy tricky players either side of Heff or Collins and you never know, they might start scoring goals.

This rigid, lacking in width and creation 4-4-2/4-5-1 that Fenlon has subjected us to is not working. Hopefully the new man can get our players playing to a new style and if he can't , bring in a few players who can play like this.

Pace, creation and goalscorers are everything in most leagues. Have that and you will "win more than you lose" as Tony Mowbray used to say.
Nice one mate:thumbsup:

Waxy
04-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Hibs 5 Stranraer 3

Mikey
04-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Hibs 5 Stranraer 3

Bit of a one off that one, and against a lower league team. We've been watching poor stuff for a looooooong time.

Captain Trips
04-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Bit of a one off that one, and against a lower league team. We've been watching poor stuff for a looooooong time.

The odd good game the odd gubbing and a lot of average fayre sums it up for me. Well off the mark the last 3yrs.

calumhibee1
04-11-2013, 12:49 PM

I'd like to see a line up like that once Harris is back

Williams

Maybury
Forster
Hanlon
Stevenson

Craig
Thomson
Robertson

Harris
Heffernan
Handling/Cairney

I'd be looking for a more attacking right back in January and a wide player to replace Handling or Cairney with a bit of pace and I think we'd have the makings of a good side.

Cropley10
04-11-2013, 12:53 PM

Great post.

This is why you won't be able to buy a DVD from the Clubstore, just in time for Christmas, entitled, "Pat Fenlon's Greatest Wins".

I know it sounds unfair but every team in the SPL must be disappointed he's gone.

The Sea-gull
04-11-2013, 12:54 PM

Williams

Maybury
Forster
Hanlon
Stevenson

Craig
Thomson
Robertson

Harris
Heffernan
Handling/Cairney

I'd be looking for a more attacking right back in January and a wide player to replace Handling or Cairney with a bit of pace and I think we'd have the makings of a good side.

Had totally forgotten about Cairney. He had a hit and miss season last year though was good up until about Xmas. Not sure he will ever have the pace to play wide in a fornt three effectively. A good option for a wide midfield role in a 4 though if he can show his form of first half of last season.

If he comes back like the PC of second half of the season then I doubt he'll get his deal renewed. Think his deal is up this summer?

southsider
04-11-2013, 02:49 PM

Williams

Maybury
Forster
Hanlon
Stevenson

Craig
Thomson
Robertson

Harris
Heffernan
Handling/Cairney

Williams, new rb, Forster, new centre half, McGivern Robertson,Thompson, Craig, Harris, New pacy forward, Hefferman.