PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Petrie

KeithTheHibby
03-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Before I start I have to say this is not intended as a dig at our CE.

If Petrie is as financially astute as we are led to believe how come he is still in charge at Easter Road?

Players, managers, coaches and directors all move on to bigger clubs if they are doing well, how come Rod is still here?
I know he owns 10% of the club but I don't think that would stop him moving on if say a championship or premiership came along?

Arch Stanton
03-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Not so sure about this - if he was so financially astute then he would be keeping a steady ship which I don't think he has.

Some managers get more resources than they know what to do with (Hughes and Fenlon for example) while others have to drastically offload players to bring the 'wages to turnover ratio' back down again. Makes no financial sense and does nothing for the clubs development.

Hibercelona
03-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Because despite being good with the balance sheets, his limitations in every other area are hugely apparent.

If he were to move on to a bigger club, it wouldn't be in the same position that he holds with Hibs.

Heedersnvolleys
03-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Here is my conspiracy theory!

Do think it suits Petrie to sack his managers rather than let them walk away after there contract runs out?

Here's my theory why! If he sacks them there is usually a pay off (have heard PF is due nothing but I am sure he will get something) and in giving them the pay of he will be able to set certain conditions to the payment such as keeping quiet on what is really going on ER and EM's maybe or even his methods or medaling!

I know PF says it was his idea to walk but I am sure it suits RP and PF for him to come out and say that?

just thinking out loud on the keyboard!:confused:

basehibby
03-11-2013, 05:42 PM

If Petrie is as financially astute as we are led to believe how come he is still in charge at Easter Road?

Players, managers, coaches and directors all move on to bigger clubs if they are doing well, how come Rod is still here?
I know he owns 10% of the club but I don't think that would stop him moving on if say a championship or premiership came along?

The fact he has a stake in the club makes it massively different - he's not so much an employee as an employer.

For RP to "move" to another club in the same capacity as you suggest would involve him being invited to buy a stake in another football club - and if I'm not mistaken there are rules about being involved in more than one club so this is not all that straight forward - ie would possibly involve having to sell up at Hibs first which he may not actually want to do regardless of how much some Hibs supporters might want him to.

Other than that I think Petrie has been assigned a number of senior administrative positions at the SFA/SPL (not exactly sure which/when) which are some sort of recognition of his reputation and administrational experience within Scottish football.

Saorsa
03-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Because despite being good with the balance sheets, his limitations in every other area are hugely apparent.

If he were to move on to a bigger club, it wouldn't be in the same position that he holds with Hibs.Dictator? He who must be obeyed? :dunno:

I wonder how much his mistakes have cost us? Almost 5000 of the average gate in the last 6 years because of the guff on offer presided over by managers appointed by him.

Failed managers needing tae be paid off, the worst of whom he paid a 6 figure sum for in the 1st place.

Money lost through league placing due tae some of his crap managers.

Why there aren't loads of clubs out there fighting over him due tae the way our fitba club performs, I'll never ken. :rolleyes:

Moon unit
03-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Petrie came over as being very arrogant in his post match interview with Chic. Sure he didn't wish to give much away,but why be so nippy and surly..thought he would have been more media savvy?

SunshineOnLeith
03-11-2013, 06:01 PM
He works for Sir Tom, does stuff other than his Hibs related duties. Hence how he can not take a salary from the club.

Hibbyradge
03-11-2013, 06:09 PM

lol

Peevemor
03-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Petrie came over as being very arrogant in his post match interview with Chic. Sure he didn't wish to give much away,but why be so nippy and surly..thought he would have been more media savvy?

He isn't at all comfortable speaking in public, which is why you see a lot less of him than other club chairmen. Also, people seem to forget that he's been trying to retire (gradually) for a few years now.

offshorehibby
03-11-2013, 06:15 PM
He works for Sir Tom, does stuff other than his Hibs related duties. Hence how he can not take a salary from the club.

That's the way i believe it to be i think he's director or on the board of several companies the STF's involved with. Which in turn ties him to Edinburgh.

J-C
03-11-2013, 06:31 PM

I was led to believe he put there by STF to look after his investment, he's bought some shares in the club but is still STF's right hand man at ER for the time being.

Petrie trained to be a chartered accountant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartered_accountant) with Ernst & Young (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_%26_Young), eventually becoming an audit partner in 13 years with the firm.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Petrie#cite_note-sfa-1) He was then managing director (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managing_director) of investment bank Quayle Munro (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Quayle_Munro&action=edit&redlink=1) for over six years.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Petrie#cite_note-sfa-1) Petrie, who had advised Tom Farmer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Farmer) throughout his rescue of Hibernian FC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernian_F.C.) (Hibs) from receivership in 1991, joined the club's board of directors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_of_directors) in 1996 and was appointed managing director in 1997.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Petrie#cite_note-2)

Nailrod
03-11-2013, 06:33 PM
For RP to "move" to another club in the same capacity as you suggest would involve him being invited to buy a stake in another football club...This particular mystery is resolved by that small three letter word in the section in bold. RP would have to put his own hand into his own pocket and pay out some of his own money.

Not ever going to happen.

Beefster
03-11-2013, 07:04 PM
He isn't at all comfortable speaking in public, which is why you see a lot less of him than other club chairmen. Also, people seem to forget that he's been trying to retire (gradually) for a few years now.

If he was seriously trying to retire, he'd appoint a Chief Executive.

RIP
03-11-2013, 11:26 PM
If he was seriously trying to retire, he'd appoint a Chief Executive.

That's it in a nutshell Keith

To save the club money both executives were released and he asked other board members to do more. He stepped back in to an exec role. It saved wages but at considerable cost to morale

A company like Hibs needs a full time CEO with Petrie staying on as a wise sage Non-Exec Chairman. This proposal needs to be put to Sir Tom in the near future as I'm sure he can spot that Hibs are listing badly as things stand. The decline in thr club since 2007 has been there for all to see.

A good CEO could be had for less money than Alan O'Brien was on at Hibs. It would give the whole club a badly needed shot in the arm

lucky
03-11-2013, 11:34 PM
Don't think hibs do need a fulltime CEO. Hibs have little fulltime staff and generally operate 1 day a fortnight. Whilst transfers and contracts will take tim. I just can't see the workload for a fulltime CEO

Hibercelona
03-11-2013, 11:39 PM
lol

I must be having a humour bypass. What's funny?

You think he offers the club any other qualities beyond steady balance sheets?

If so, then please tell me what they are, because I certainly don't know.

monktonharp
03-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Don't think hibs do need a fulltime CEO. Hibs have little fulltime staff and generally operate 1 day a fortnight. Whilst transfers and contracts will take tim. I just can't see the workload for a fulltime CEO in that case, we'd be better going part-time:rolleyes:

IWasThere2016
04-11-2013, 05:39 AM

He is a naturally smug tit.

He needs to try harder then!

Fife-Hibee
04-11-2013, 06:09 AM

Lol

Jim44
04-11-2013, 06:32 AM

Life's a drag when you're indispensible.:rolleyes:

The Falcon
04-11-2013, 06:39 AM
Farmer wishes he had a hundred Rod Petrie's and Farmer owns the club via the holding company. If you want rid of Rod then you need to buy out Farmer. Its not difficult to work out.

Phil D. Rolls
04-11-2013, 06:42 AM
I think some people think too much. Do you know this is one of the best years ever to see the Aurora Borealis? Why don't you get out more folks?

gorgie greens
04-11-2013, 06:42 AM
Dictator? He who must be obeyed? :dunno:

I wonder how much his mistakes have cost us? Almost 5000 of the average gate in the last 6 years because of the guff on offer presided over by managers appointed by him.

Failed managers needing tae be paid off, the worst of whom he paid a 6 figure sum for in the 1st place.

Why there aren't loads of clubs out there fighting over him due tae the way our fitba club performs, I'll never ken. :rolleyes:

i agree that a few bad managers have not helped with the drop in crowds but the world has changed loads in the last six years,people dont have the money or disposable income they used to have and i feel that has had a bigger affect on our crowds than anything else.

Hibbyradge
04-11-2013, 07:12 AM

his limitations in every other area are hugely apparent.

You have publicly slated a man who you do not know for being hugely limited in every area of his life, except financial prudence.

You don't think that's funny?

Phil D. Rolls
04-11-2013, 07:49 AM

:faf:

greenpaper55
04-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Did anyone see the half time talk yesterday with Hughes Lovell and Cregan ?, Cregan alluded to the fact that Petrie has more than just an input over financial matters ?. The other two said nothing as it seems if you criticise the footballing bigwigs the work will dry up. Now maybe it's nonsense but if it is true then maybe it gives you an insight to some of the problems that are constantly happening at ER.

Hibbyradge
04-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Did anyone see the half time talk yesterday with Hughes Lovell and Cregan ?, Cregan alluded to the fact that Petrie has more than just an input over financial matters ?. The other two said nothing as it seems if you criticise the footballing bigwigs the work will dry up. Now maybe it's nonsense but if it is true then maybe it gives you an insight to some of the problems that are constantly happening at ER.

Is it really all that surprising that the part owner and chairman of a football club would have input over and above financial matters.

If I owned a football club, you could bet your bottom dollar that I'd have a lot more input than Petrie currently has.

I would be picking the friggin team! :agree:

J-C
04-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Is it really all that surprising that the part owner and chairman of a football club would have input over and above financial matters.

If I owned a football club, you could bet your bottom dollar that I'd have a lot more input than Petrie currently has.

I would be picking the friggin team! :agree:

Therein lies the problem, a wee team across the toon had this happening, we all laughed at them because of it, you'd want Hibs to have a chairman picking teams and sticking his nose in where ever, you have a manager to manage the team, the chairman runs the company, never the twain shall meet unless the manager isn't managing properly.

Killiehibbie
04-11-2013, 08:12 AM

I would be picking the friggin team! :agree:Look how that ended over at Tynecastle:greengrin

Hibbyradge
04-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Look how that ended over at Tynecastle:greengrin

I'd pay my debts though. :wink:

Can I point out at this stage, however, that this is merely hypothetical.

I do not intend buying Hibs.

Yet. :hmmm:

Hibby 2005
04-11-2013, 08:30 AM

I think the ex-Motherwell player is Craigan and he made Yogi look like Einstein so I wouldn't bother too much about his words of wisdom which were aimed more at attention seeking than anything else.

Petrie is good at most things except picking a Manager, it's that simple.

johnrebus
04-11-2013, 08:57 AM
I think some people think too much. Do you know this is one of the best years ever to see the Aurora Borealis? Why don't you get out more folks?

Jings. I didn't know they were out on tour.

Bought their last couple of albums.

Phil D. Rolls
04-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Brilliant thread this, so many people showing how little they know about Petrie, yet still insisting he is doing his job wrong. Down with this sort of thing.

Phil D. Rolls
04-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Jings. I didn't know they were out on tour.

Bought their last couple of albums.

Never been the same since the plane crash.

greenpaper55
04-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Brilliant thread this, so many people showing how little they know about Petrie, yet still insisting he is doing his job wrong. Down with this sort of thing.

Well if it's no him somebody else is responsible for all the failed managers, who is it ?.

Hibbyradge
04-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Well if it's no him somebody else is responsible for all the failed managers, who is it ?.

There weren't too many fans who disagreed with the appointments of Collins, Mixu and Yogi.

Even Calderwood initially seemed like a good acquisition, given his Premiership experience with Newcastle, although that turned into a disaster.

Fenlon was more controversial, primarily because people wanted Michael O'Neil to return, but even still, the appointment made sense.

Can you imagine the chaos if chairmen resigned everytime their managers failed to live up to fans expectations. :crazy:

Nailrod
04-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Can you imagine the chaos if chairmen resigned everytime their managers failed to live up to fans expectations. :crazy:No. Is it better or worse than when they plough on regardless after 4, 5, 6 managerial failures?

The Modfather
04-11-2013, 12:55 PM
There weren't too many fans who disagreed with the appointments of Collins, Mixu and Yogi.

Even Calderwood initially seemed like a good acquisition, given his Premiership experience with Newcastle, although that turned into a disaster.

Fenlon was more controversial, primarily because people wanted Michael O'Neil to return, but even still, the appointment made sense.

Can you imagine the chaos if chairmen resigned everytime their managers failed to live up to fans expectations. :crazy:

The fans aren't privy to budgets, availability or the interview process are we. Why not just pick our manager by Hibs.net poll? Petrie's there to make the right decision, not the popular one.

We are currently watching the chaos of 6 years of Petrie's under achievement. Shame he doesn't have the same integrity Pat has and hold his hands up at his own culpability and walk away rather than preserve his own ego.

Saorsa
04-11-2013, 12:59 PM
The fans aren't privy to budgets, availability or the interview process are we. Why not just pick our manager by Hibs.net poll? Petrie's there to make the right decision, not the popular one.

We are currently watching the chaos of 6 years of Petrie's under achievement. Shame he doesn't have the same integrity Pat has and hold his hands up at his own culpability and walk away rather than preserve his own ego.:top marks

Hibercelona
04-11-2013, 01:04 PM
You have publicly slated a man who you do not know for being hugely limited in every area of his life, except financial prudence.

You don't think that's funny?

I must have missed the part where I said "of his life".

But crack on.

KeithTheHibby
04-11-2013, 01:04 PM

I know. And it was me who started it. Very pwoud.:greengrin

Hibbyradge
04-11-2013, 01:08 PM

But crack on.

Very good.

Semantics to the rescue. :aok:

Phil D. Rolls
04-11-2013, 04:05 PM

The fans. They are the only other constant in all this.

Saorsa
04-11-2013, 04:07 PM
The fans. They are the only other constant in all this.Correct, we should all stop going. :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
04-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Correct, we should all stop going. :agree:

It's probably best for everyone, but it'll be hard we just love the place. Couldn't get a nicer group of players to work with and support. We'll also miss the people behind the scenes like the kids at the pie stands, and the G4S guys. It's tough to leave, but its probably the right time for another group of fans to take this great club forward. Did we say we'll really miss the place?

Kaiser1962
04-11-2013, 05:09 PM
I was led to believe he put there by STF to look after his investment, he's bought some shares in the club but is still STF's right hand man at ER for the time being.

Its hardly an investment as such as he has next to no chance of recouping his outlay.

DarlingtonHibee
04-11-2013, 05:13 PM

But crack on.

Can I ask you a very simple question ?

What experience do you have running a multi million pound business / professional football club ?

Hibercelona
04-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Can I ask you a very simple question ?

What experience do you have running a multi million pound business / professional football club ?

None. What has that got to do with anything?

I've asked a few questions on this thread and have failed to get a direct answer out of anybody who disagrees with my points.

DarlingtonHibee
04-11-2013, 05:19 PM

I've asked a few questions on this thread and have failed to get a direct answer out of anybody who disagrees with my points.

Thanks.....

The Falcon
04-11-2013, 05:43 PM

I am guessing, but I think STF would disagree with you. If he didnt Rod wouldnt be there.

J-C
04-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Its hardly an investment as such as he has next to no chance of recouping his outlay.

I think ploughing £4m into a football would be seen by most as an investment, certainly wasn't a loan as such, pretty sure he's recouped most if not all of it, plus the sale of the houses next door to ER helped.

Hibercelona
04-11-2013, 08:37 PM
I am guessing, but I think STF would disagree with you. If he didnt Rod wouldnt be there.

STF has Rod Petrie there to keep the balance sheets steady. I think thats pretty common knowledge.

But if I said to STF that Rod Petrie is not taking this club forward as far as the football is concerned, is there any way that he could disagree with me on that?

Kaiser1962
04-11-2013, 08:39 PM
I think ploughing £4m into a football would be seen by most as an investment, certainly wasn't a loan as such, pretty sure he's recouped most if not all of it, plus the sale of the houses next door to ER helped.

How would that have helped?

The Falcon
04-11-2013, 08:41 PM
STF has Rod Petrie there to keep the balance sheets steady. I think thats pretty common knowledge.

But if I said to STF that Rod Petrie is not taking this club forward as far as the football is concerned, is there any way that he could disagree with me on that?

I feel sure he would and tell you that he wished he had a hundred Rod Petrie's. :wink:

Mikey
04-11-2013, 08:43 PM

You should have a read of this......

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?135671-So-what-happened-to-the-money-from-the-car-park

Post 53 will be particularly harrowing for some!

J-C
04-11-2013, 08:49 PM

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?135671-So-what-happened-to-the-money-from-the-car-park

Interesting stuff, how did i miss all that :confused: must've been asleep all that day :greengrin

Peevemor
04-11-2013, 08:53 PM

I doubt it. He initially separated the club from the stadium to protect the club. He then sold the ground back to the football club for less than it had cost to build the two end stands. The car park money repaid debts run up during the Duffy and especially McLeish years. The only major sums he's taken out have been repayments for personal loans he has made here and there (to help cash-flow) and a bit of interest on other parent company loans which will amount to nothing like £4m.

J-C
04-11-2013, 08:57 PM
I doubt it. He initially separated the club from the stadium to protect the club. He then sold the ground back to the football club for less than it had cost to build the two end stands. The car park money repaid debts run up during the Duffy and especially McLeish years. The only major sums he's taken out have been repayments for personal loans he has made here and there (to help cash-flow) and a bit of interest on other parent company loans which will amount to nothing like £4m.

Erm did you not read my response above to Mickey, obviously I got it wrong as stated I must've missed all that info regarding the monies and STF.

Kaiser1962
04-11-2013, 09:00 PM

I doubt folk are paying attention as that thread has been there for a few days short of five years and this stuff still keeps coming up. I would add that your post #55 is £5m on top of the money he shelled out to buy the club.

Interesting to hear if it's still thought to be a good "investment"?

Peevemor
04-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Erm did you not read my response above to Mickey, obviously I got it wrong as stated I must've missed all that info regarding the monies and STF.

:greengrin I typed the post on my phone at an average rate of a bout 2 words per minute.

J-C
04-11-2013, 09:14 PM
:greengrin I typed the post on my phone at an average rate of a bout 2 words per minute.

KK mate, you're forgiven :greengrin:wink:

Jonnyboy
04-11-2013, 09:15 PM

Show off :greengrin

Criswell
04-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Just read some of Petrie's comments quoted in Sunday's Express. I find them quite astonishing. He actually says, I kid you not, that every managerial appointment made in his tenure has been the right one! In addition, he is "unaware" of any criticism directed at him personally in regards to these appointments.

Yes, they have been so right that he usually has had to sack them after about 18 shambolic months. It certainly looks like in Rod's world that denial is just a river in Egypt!

jabis
04-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Dictator? He who must be obeyed? :dunno:

Fenlon oot DESPERETE dan in !

Eyrie
04-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Just read some of Petrie's comments quoted in Sunday's Express. I find them quite astonishing. He actually says, I kid you not, that every managerial appointment made in his tenure has been the right one! In addition, he is "unaware" of any criticism directed at him personally in regards to these appointments.

Yes, they have been so right that he usually has had to sack them after about 18 shambolic months. It certainly looks like in Rod's world that denial is just a river in Egypt!

Petrie is correct in that at the time of each appointment he genuinely believed that he had made the right selection. But the number of times he's been proved wrong means that it is time he stepped down.

Criswell
04-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Petrie is correct in that at the time of each appointment he genuinely believed that he had made the right selection. But the number of times he's been proved wrong means that it is time he stepped down.

What concerns me is that Petrie's comments come over as arrogant and delusional. Any person who will not admit to their mistakes will never be able to learn from them. This man has been, and will continue to be a disaster to this club and has to step down.

Hibercelona
05-11-2013, 02:13 AM
What concerns me is that Petrie's comments come over as arrogant and delusional. Any person who will not admit to their mistakes will never be able to learn from them. This man has been, and will continue to be a disaster to this club and has to step down.

He won't step down though and STF seems to be in love with the man. So we're stuck with him.

And for some reason, there are still some fans that support Petrie, despite the very valid points you and others make.

We can't further progress as a club on the field because I think managers and staff in general have a hard time communicating with Petrie, just as we do as well. It makes the relationship between manager/staff and Petrie/Board very edgy. I'd suspect that there is a major breakdown in communication between managers and Petrie.

I think when managers come here, it doesn't take them long to figure out the lack of ambition/interest from the board. By that, I don't mean the board not supplying the manager with enough cash, but more to do with the general attitude of Petrie and the board.