PDA

View Full Version : Deek - Again!!!!!!

BroxburnHibee
27-10-2013, 11:02 AM
I was told yesterday that Deek had apparently offered to play for nowt and apparently this was in the Sun yesterday. I never read that rag - has anyone read it?

I was also told that Hibs haven't responded to his offer?

Anyone else heard anything about this?

I appreciate he has been discussed over and over but I still believe he could offer us some creativity - certainly more than we seem to have at the moment.

Tin Hat is firmly wedged on by the way - comments are welcome :greengrin

Beefster
27-10-2013, 11:04 AM
He's coming up for 31 and hasn't done anything of note with a football in over 2 years so I'd rather that he didn't play for Hibs again. Hibs should respond to the offer though.

DaveF
Was it not at the start of the season when he offered to play for nothing and Fenlon told him No?

TheFamous1875
Why no eh...

Tyler Durden
27-10-2013, 11:06 AM
He then went on to say that as a fan, he was shocked Fenlon has been given so long. Griffiths had basically kept him in a job and it was the worst Hibs team he'd seen in years.

Leishy1995
27-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Heard this in the summer, I also heard that Petrie always answers GOC but that might be untrue.

BroxburnHibee
27-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Was it not at the start of the season when he offered to play for nothing and Fenlon told him No?

I don't know Dave - I honestly hadn't heard about it.

hibee_girl
27-10-2013, 11:09 AM
He was also moaning that ex hearts players are allowed to train at east mains and he isn't.

He also said that Berwick Rangers had been in touch but he wasn't going to play for them as he's better than part time football.

Winston Ingram
27-10-2013, 11:24 AM
I was told yesterday that Deek had apparently offered to play for nowt and apparently this was in the Sun yesterday. I never read that rag - has anyone read it?

I was also told that Hibs haven't responded to his offer?

Anyone else heard anything about this?

I appreciate he has been discussed over and over but I still believe he could offer us some creativity - certainly more than we seem to have at the moment.

Tin Hat is firmly wedged on by the way - comments are welcome :greengrin

He hasn't kicked a baw for a year and has been binned by his last 3 clubs after practically no time at all.

He's also trained with the likes of Killie & Ross County and they offered him nowt.

He was unfit and never tried a leg in his last spell and is now in his 30's. After all that, god knows why anyone would think that he could offer us anything:confused:

TheFamous1875
27-10-2013, 11:30 AM
He hasn't kicked a baw for a year and has been binned by his last 3 clubs after practically no time at all.

He's also trained with the likes of Killie & Ross County and they offered him nowt.

He was unfit and never tried a leg in his last spell and is now in his 30's. After all that, god knows why anyone would think that he could offer us anything:confused:

By that logic, he can't be much worse than what we've got already!

hibee
27-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Not seen the Sun but he said back in May when he was in the evening news that he'd offered to play for free after he left Bristol but Pat told him he had enough strikers so don't see how they can now be saying Hibs haven't got back to him. If no other club is willing to sign him then surely he's not good enough for us now either even if it is for free.

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/interview-derek-riordan-plots-his-return-1-2944412

Winston Ingram
27-10-2013, 11:41 AM
By that logic, he can't be much worse than what we've got already!
Really, in what way?

3pm
27-10-2013, 11:43 AM
He can't be worse than Vine.

TheFamous1875
27-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Really, in what way?

Well, who would u tather have up front on Wednesday - an unfit and lazy Deek, or an unfit, lazy Rowan Vine?

S4uzee
27-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Well, who would u tather have up front on Wednesday - an unfit and lazy Deek, or an unfit, lazy Rowan Vine?
Good point, know who I would prefer

erskine-hibby
27-10-2013, 11:50 AM
And hibs can turn down the premier leagues third best goalscoring record because...?
I'm pretty sure that he could qiite easily get up to speed with this team. Even now he offers a greater goal threat than most others in the league.

ScottB
27-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Come on, really? The guy is done.

hibs0666
27-10-2013, 11:55 AM
And hibs can turn down the premier leagues third best goalscoring record because...?
I'm pretty sure that he could qiite easily get up to speed with this team. Even now he offers a greater goal threat than most others in the league.

Riordan is finished at this level.

ScottB
27-10-2013, 11:57 AM

Should we resign Colin Nish as well since he's in the top 10 all time league goalscorers too?

BroxburnHibee
27-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Its a good argument but I don't agree with the highlighted part.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-10-2013, 12:00 PM
He also said he got a KB from the club when he asked about Comp tickets, very harsh if true.

BroxburnHibee
27-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Should we resign Colin Nish as well since he's in the top 10 all time league goalscorers too?

The number one is still managing to score goals and he's only 7 months younger than Deek.

Winston Ingram
27-10-2013, 12:01 PM

Lol. Are you being serious?:top marks

erskine-hibby
27-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Riordan is finished at this level.

So are half our squad...well at least they look like it.
What's the harm in getting him in training and see how it goes from there? If he doesn't show he offers something still then we haven't exactly lost anything have we?

steviehibsleith
27-10-2013, 12:13 PM
What's the harm in getting him in training and see how it goes from there? If he doesn't show he offers something still then we haven't exactly lost anything have we?
I will tell you why Deek was part of a drink culture this is the reason why he is still without a club. He cannot get fit and has been well publicised if he could teams would snap him up as no one can deny his natural ability.

ScottB
27-10-2013, 12:15 PM
The number one is still managing to score goals and he's only 7 months younger than Deek.

The number one has kept himself in better shape (and that's saying something) and hasn't gone years without playing football at any serious level.

HibeeHendo
27-10-2013, 12:17 PM
I wonder where he would be if Celtic never ruined him.

TheFamous1875
27-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Lol. Are you being serious?:top marks

Why is that so laughable? I'm not one of these Deek unwavering types, he was a hero of mine as I grew up, and I accepted long ago that he wasn't up to it and that his career had finished, but if Rowan ****ing Vine is accepted as a consummate professional worthy of wearing our jersey and being paid to do so, then at this point I really don't see how Derek Riordan, the lazy, washed up waster who is offering his services to his club free of charge is something to be sneered at.

Both Vine and Deek have talent and a 'player' in them, no doubt. It's the fact that Deek has TWICE the 'player' in him than Vine could ever dream of that makes my argument pale in its' assumed ridiculousness.

I'd never've argued the seemingly daft idea of Deek coming back at this point, but if Vine is what we've got as our shining hope, then the idea of Deek coming back at this time seems unwaveringly validated.

BroxburnHibee
27-10-2013, 12:27 PM
The number one has kept himself in better shape (and that's saying something) and hasn't gone years without playing football at any serious level.

And you know that for a fact do you?

When he went back to Killie he didn't look particularly fit IMO - perhaps now he's been training with Killie for a while the benefits are starting to be show?

There's plenty players who've managed to play into their late 30's - Kevin Thomson managed to prove himself with a free deal - why cant Deek be allowed to?

Iceman1875
27-10-2013, 12:30 PM
I read the interview. For me Deek comes across arogrant and bit of a 'big time charlie'. His attitude has always been questionable but his talent has always been there for everyone to see. Personally, I would get him along at EM to see if he still has the hunger. He clearly states he would play for free. Worth a shot IMO and I agree he has to offer more than Vine!

ScottB
27-10-2013, 12:41 PM
And you know that for a fact do you?

When he went back to Killie he didn't look particularly fit IMO - perhaps now he's been training with Killie for a while the benefits are starting to be show?

There's plenty players who've managed to play into their late 30's - Kevin Thomson managed to prove himself with a free deal - why cant Deek be allowed to?

Well Killie had him in for training, as did Ross County, and said thanks but no thanks, so the answer to the question is pretty plain for me?

If we were in for a player that hadn't played in over a year and had been knocked back by Killie and County, I doubt anyone would want him. His past is, sad to say, an irrelevance, because he's not that player anymore.

Yes, the club has let guys come back and try and prove themselves, Deek's already had a second go. There's obviously a reason he isn't wanted at the club, so fair enough. If he was thought to be remotely capable of recapturing the talents of his youth I'm sure he'd have been given that chance, but all the evidence since he left us for the second time suggests that he's done.

Winston Ingram
27-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Why is that so laughable? I'm not one of these Deek unwavering types, he was a hero of mine as I grew up, and I accepted long ago that he wasn't up to it and that his career had finished, but if Rowan ****ing Vine is accepted as a consummate professional worthy of wearing our jersey and being paid to do so, then at this point I really don't see how Derek Riordan, the lazy, washed up waster who is offering his services to his club free of charge is something to be sneered at.

Both Vine and Deek have talent and a 'player' in them, no doubt. It's the fact that Deek has TWICE the 'player' in him than Vine could ever dream of that makes my argument pale in its' assumed ridiculousness.

I'd never've argued the seemingly daft idea of Deek coming back at this point, but if Vine is what we've got as our shining hope, then the idea of Deek coming back at this time seems unwaveringly validated.

We'll let me see...

Derek barely has barely kicked a ball in 3 years. He was woefully unfit when he was here last and his effort, attitude an application was a disgrace.

As for Vine, I'd agree that he doesn't have the talent of Deeks but I totally disagree with your statement that he's lazy and unfit.

So the idea of sticking someone in our team in a 100mph derby who's track is drowning in laziness then move it on 3 years into his 30's, having played no competitive games in a year, no evidence of a decent performance for even longer than that and you want to stick him in ahead of a fit proven SPL player?

That my friend is laughable:agree::top marks

TheFamous1875
27-10-2013, 12:57 PM
We'll let me see...

Derek barely has barely kicked a ball in 3 years. He was woefully unfit when he was here last and his effort, attitude an application was a disgrace.

As for Vine, I'd agree that he doesn't have the talent of Deeks but I totally disagree with your statement that he's lazy and unfit.

So the idea of sticking someone in our team in a 100mph derby who's track is drowning in laziness then move it on 3 years into his 30's, having played no competitive games in a year, no evidence of a decent performance for even longer than that and you want to stick him in ahead of a fit proven SPL player?

In all seriousness, there's no place for Derek Riordan in Wednesday's derby. As for this season, if he were able to get himself to the fitness required for the SPL, I think he could be a useful asset to the team. If he can't, there's no skin off Hibs' nose. Sad state, but worth a pop.

vanNISHtelroy
27-10-2013, 12:59 PM

Yes, even if just so my username works better on the forum again.

With regards to the Boyd comparison above (cannae multi-quote on phone), Boyd looked unfit when he returned to RP but also hadn't played 90 mins for a year. He admitted himself this week that he knows himself his body needs a full preseason and regular matches to keep him fit. He's now not only doing what everyone knows he can do, but he's also been chasing the ball down etc as well.

If we stay up/avoid playoffs a very large part of it will be having a fit, happy Kris Boyd!

Bishop Hibee
27-10-2013, 01:04 PM
He then went on to say that as a fan, he was shocked Fenlon has been given so long. Griffiths had basically kept him in a job and it was the worst Hibs team he'd seen in years.

He didn't watch the Calderclown years then. He was a Hibs great but his time has passed.

Elephant Stone
27-10-2013, 01:07 PM

And?

I think the opinion of someone who can't manage their own career never mind a football team should be taken with a pinch or three of salt.

sleeping giant
27-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Deek should still be banging them in at a high level. Granted he's probably made a good few quid in his short career but wtf . How on earth has he fallen out the game ?

Stantons Angel
27-10-2013, 02:16 PM
I wonder where he would be if Celtic never ruined him.

Celtic didnt ruin Derek,,,,,, Derek did!

How can sitting on a bench ruin him? His own attitude and the way he chose to live his life off the park didnt help Derek in any way.

He is supposed to have offered to play for nothing after over a year of not kicking a ball. When we wanted and needed him to stay he shot the bolt for more money, TWICE remember.

His influence in the dressing room and around the training centre was not good in his second spell so its no wonder they wont offer him training facilities.

He has plenty to say to the media at times like this in his career and no one wants to know him. So we are not the only club giving him the cold shoulder are we. When Ivan came back and even Kevin returned plenty on here jumped around saying we shouldnt bring back former players?

I loved watching him and Gary together and they have left us so many great onfield memories so lets just leave it at that please.

Baldy Foghorn
27-10-2013, 02:19 PM

How can sitting on a bench ruin him? His own attitude and the way he chose to live his life off the park didnt help Derek in any way.

He is supposed to have offered to play for nothing after over a year of not kicking a ball. When we wanted and needed him to stay he shot the bolt for more money, TWICE remember.

His influence in the dressing room and around the training centre was not good in his second spell so its no wonder they wont offer him training facilities.

He has plenty to say to the media at times like this in his career and no one wants to know him. So we are not the only club giving him the cold shoulder are we. When Ivan came back and even Kevin returned plenty on here jumped around saying we shouldnt bring back former players?

I loved watching him and Gary together and they have left us so many great onfield memories so lets just leave it at that please.

:top marks

davhibby
27-10-2013, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't want him simply because of his attitude anyway. We've managed to get those attitudes away from hibs now and I hope it stays that way

Diclonius
27-10-2013, 02:30 PM
I said it last time and I'll say it now - I'd give him a short term contract with the option for Hibs to immediately cancel if he goes to a nightclub.

lucky
27-10-2013, 02:35 PM
It's time for Hibs and Deeks to say thanks for memories and move on.

Sir David Gray
27-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Derek Riordan is one of my all time favourite Hibs players. I was like an excited child on Christmas morning when I heard he was coming back in 2008. Unlike others, I still think we did the right thing in getting him back.

However, his form since leaving us more than two years ago and the fact that he has played no competitive football in almost a year tells me that this would not be the correct move for the club.

Someone who has the track record that Riordan has had in his career and who is only 30 years of age should not be a free agent for a year and the fact that he is tells me that he is clearly not the best option for us right now.

I wish Riordan all the best for the rest of his career and later life and, as a club legend, he should always be welcome at Easter Road but I don't believe he should be back playing with us.

silverhibee
27-10-2013, 03:06 PM

:hmmm:

greenlex
27-10-2013, 03:14 PM
What's the harm in getting him in training and see how it goes from there? If he doesn't show he offers something still then we haven't exactly lost anything have we?I reckon its because he would be deemed a bad influence on the squad.

silverhibee
27-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Well Killie had him in for training, as did Ross County, and said thanks but no thanks, so the answer to the question is pretty plain for me?

If we were in for a player that hadn't played in over a year and had been knocked back by Killie and County, I doubt anyone would want him. His past is, sad to say, an irrelevance, because he's not that player anymore.

Yes, the club has let guys come back and try and prove themselves, Deek's already had a second go. There's obviously a reason he isn't wanted at the club, so fair enough. If he was thought to be remotely capable of recapturing the talents of his youth I'm sure he'd have been given that chance, but all the evidence since he left us for the second time suggests that he's done.

Shieks wanted to sign him at the time but Killie couldn't even offer him travelling expenses they were that skint.

As for Ross County, also were offering him a contract that he was to sign on a Friday, his agent at the time was on his way up to Dingwall to conclude a deal after the training session, after the session Adams pulled Deek aside and said he had changed his mind about offering Deek a contract and he used the excuse that Deeks partner was about to have a kid or just had a kid, and the travelling wouldn't do him good at the time, Deeks agent arrived to get a deal done and was pretty annoyed that it was now not going ahead, at both clubs i don't think it was the training that was the problem as it seemed both teams wanted to sign him, one didn't have a bolt to spend, the other pissed him about, that's what i heard it anyway, but you must have heard different from your source.

Onceinawhile
27-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Derek Riordan is one of my all time favourite Hibs players. I was like an excited child on Christmas morning when I heard he was coming back in 2008. Unlike others, I still think we did the right thing in getting him back.

However, his form since leaving us more than two years ago and the fact that he has played no competitive football in almost a year tells me that this would not be the correct move for the club.

Someone who has the track record that Riordan has had in his career and who is only 30 years of age should not be a free agent for a year and the fact that he is tells me that he is clearly not the best option for us right now.

I wish Riordan all the best for the rest of his career and later life and, as a club legend, he should always be welcome at Easter Road but I don't believe he should be back playing with us.

This post more or less sums it up for me.

I find it odd however that he wants to play for us for free, then slates the manager. Seems like a right dick move.

silverhibee
27-10-2013, 03:36 PM
We'll let me see...

Stop talking a lot of pish eh, in the last spell at Hibs, top goal scorer in 2 seasons and the 3rd he was played LM got 15 goals and double figures in assists that season too, think he also got a call up to the Scotland squad for his hard work, how does that fit in with your lies in bold. :clown:

erskine-hibby
27-10-2013, 04:03 PM
I reckon its because he would be deemed a bad influence on the squad.
Well if he was then get rid. I still can see no reasonable excuse from anyone not to have him train with the team. If he is not good enough, a bad influence etc. We just say goodbye for good. In the meantime we have paid out nothing and if he does shape up we have a proven goalscorer for nowt. Win, win in my book.

greenlex
27-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Well if he was then get rid. I still can see no reasonable excuse from anyone not to have him train with the team. If he is not good enough, a bad influence etc. We just say goodbye for good. In the meantime we have paid out nothing and if he does shape up we have a proven goalscorer for nowt. Win, win in my book.Could be argued we aready have. :dunno: Can this be the only plausible reason for not giving it another go?

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-10-2013, 04:17 PM
This post more or less sums it up for me.

I find it odd however that he wants to play for us for free, then slates the manager. Seems like a right dick move.

I'd play for Hibs for free and slate the manager and I'm a dick! I would settle for Derek getting a game ahead of me, and a few others.

LancsHibs
27-10-2013, 04:19 PM
If true then why not invite him down for training, we have absolutely nothing to lose. If he's woefully unfit or has an attitude then we say thanks but no thanks, but on the other hand........

IWasThere2016
27-10-2013, 04:34 PM
If true then why not invite him down for training, we have absolutely nothing to lose. If he's woefully unfit or has an attitude then we say thanks but no thanks, but on the other hand........

This - little to be lost and possible something to be gained IMHO

Onceinawhile
27-10-2013, 04:47 PM
I'd play for Hibs for free and slate the manager and I'm a dick! I would settle for Derek getting a game ahead of me, and a few others.

My point is, slating the manager is hardly likely to get you a phonecall from the gaffer is it?

SunshineOnLeith
27-10-2013, 04:59 PM

And people are surprised Fenlon doesn't want to give him free use of facilities?

When did Derek Riordan last score a goal?

jacomo
27-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Its a good argument but I don't agree with the highlighted part.

Neither do I. Although he didn't like playing on the left under Yogi, he actually scampered up and down the touch line a fair bit - I saw more 'tracking back' than many more celebrated players.

However, his performances seemed to tail off towards the end of his second contract, and it's true he's done little since. This is probably the most important consideration.

I would like to see John Collins back as gaffer but have to accept that he's achieved very little in a managerial capacity since leaving Hibs.

Winston Ingram
27-10-2013, 05:14 PM

Winston Ingram
27-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Neither do I. Although he didn't like playing on the left under Yogi, he actually scampered up and down the touch line a fair bit - I saw more 'tracking back' than many more celebrated players.

However, his performances seemed to tail off towards the end of his second contract, and it's true he's done little since. This is probably the most important consideration.

I would like to see John Collins back as gaffer but have to accept that he's achieved very little in a managerial capacity since leaving Hibs.

**** knows why he didn't like playing on the left as he was a honkin CF. He never got involved in the middle where on the left he could score from distance and out in crackin crosses. I can only assume it was because it was because he couldn't be arsed doing the running needed

silverhibee
27-10-2013, 05:52 PM
**** knows why he didn't like playing on the left as he was a honkin CF. He never got involved in the middle where on the left he could score from distance and out in crackin crosses. I can only assume it was because it was because he couldn't be arsed doing the running needed

More pish from you that you are starting to steam now.

Look at his goals and you will see he scored a lot more goals in and around the box than he did from outside it, FFS now you are moaning about where he scored his goals from.

104 goals says differently.

Cabbage East
27-10-2013, 06:21 PM

You talk a lot of pish likes.

Jonnyboy
27-10-2013, 06:32 PM

And yet after he returned from Celtic and until he left Hibs again he scored 40 goals. Without trying a leg apparently

HibbyAndy
27-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Ill remember Riordan for hitting over 100 goals for Hibs...The flak this guy gets on here is unbelievable...100 Hibs goals..I mean how many on here have seen a hibs player get over a HUNDRED goals???!!".Seriously i shake my head in dis
belief on here sometimes.

Riordan= My greatest EVER Hibs player

Hibercelona
27-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Riordan was brilliant. "Was" brilliant.

But bringing him back now would just reek of utter desperation from Hibs. He doesn't have what it takes to play SPL football anymore.

Thanks for the memories Deek, but those days are over now.

brog
27-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Ill remember Riordan for hitting over 100 goals for Hibs...The flak this guy gets on here is unbelievable...100 Hibs goals..I mean how many on here have seen a hibs player get over a HUNDRED goals???!!".Seriously i shake my head in dis

Yep, my 2nd fav, beaten only by the great Joe & also the 2nd most natural finisher. Having said that I don't think Derek ( having been out game so long ) is what we need at this time. I would love to think if he could get fit he could help bring our young players along but unfortunately I believe finishing skills are almost an innate ability. Mind you if Deek could coach our players to actually hit the target that would be a start!

Beefster
27-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Riordan threads on here are like threesome chats in my house. No-one ever agrees on whether they'd be a good thing or not and it's irrelevant anyway cos there's no ****ing chance of the boss ever agreeing to it.

Jonnyboy
27-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Riordan threads on here are like threesome chats in my house. No-one ever agrees on whether they'd be a good thing or not and it's irrelevant anyway cos there's no ****ing chance of the boss ever agreeing to it.

:faf: :top marks

weecounty hibby
27-10-2013, 06:59 PM

Ally Macleod scored 98 (I think) and he divided fans opinion a well. He was a gifted player as well who never really liked the hard work, but what a player. My hero as I was growing up. He and Derek have so many similarities. Personally it's a no from me for Derek returning. Have many happy memories of Derek and Ally but really none of them should be seen as a saviour of any kind for us.

marinello59
27-10-2013, 07:13 PM
We'll let me see...

I agree that he shouldn't come back but the highlighted bit is utter garbage. Deeks worked much harder tracking back etc during the latter stages of his second spell with us. He was much less potent as a striker but the whole team was pretty poor at that time. No need to simply make stuff up in order to trash one of the most exciting finishers we have had at ER.

Aldo
27-10-2013, 07:23 PM
I agree that he shouldn't come back but the highlighted bit is utter garbage. Deeks worked much harder tracking back etc during the latter stages of his second spell with us. He was much less potent as a striker but the whole team was pretty poor at that time. No need to simply make stuff up in order to trash one of the most exciting finishers we have had at ER.

This. Thought he was an outstanding talent and scored some outstanding goals... Did let himself down by getting sent off against that lot but can forgive him because of some of the memories and goals he gave us, especially the Casper game.

Right foot, left foot and the odd header (Dunfy away I believe).

Up there with the best IMHO.

Jonnyboy
27-10-2013, 07:30 PM
This. Thought he was an outstanding talent and scored some outstanding goals... Did let himself down by getting sent off against that lot but can forgive him because of some of the memories and goals he gave us, especially the Casper game.

Right foot, left foot and the odd header (Dunfy away I believe).

Up there with the best IMHO.

Battered Skacel when the game was lost anyway. I'd have given Deek man of the match for that :greengrin

SMAXXA
27-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Wouldn't want him anywhere near the squad. Anyone who would IMO are clutching athe the biggest straws ever. Why not bring back gaz and brebner whilst we are at it.

next time I want to hear about deek is on a legends thread and no more.

Sir David Gray
27-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Battered Skacel when the game was lost anyway. I'd have given Deek man of the match for that :greengrin

Personally I would have given him an MBE.

Aldo
27-10-2013, 07:39 PM

He would of got MOTM if he had smacked him rather than kick him :-D

hibees 7062
27-10-2013, 07:46 PM

:rotflmao::not worth

Purple & Green
27-10-2013, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Leigh Griffiths having just turned 23 has more career goals than Derek. If only talent was enough.

Leishy1995
27-10-2013, 09:27 PM
We lose nothing from letting him train. We gain something if in training he proves himself as a genius compared to the current crop of players.

Anyway, a lot of people seem disillusioned when thinking about his last spell. In which he was our top scorer until stokes was signed. Not a bad player to be behind in the scorers list.

Thecat23
27-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Very good in his day and gave me some good memories.

Tell me though, why hasn't he played in something like 2 years? Says it all really. He'd never be the same player and it would be sad to see. I think he'd struggle in the championship now never mind SPFL.

Hope he gets something but he won't be back in a Hibs shirt thankfully.

monktonharp
27-10-2013, 09:36 PM
He was also moaning that ex hearts players are allowed to train at east mains and he isn't.

He also said that Berwick Rangers had been in touch but he wasn't going to play for them as he's better than part time football.moaning eh, fancy that. this from a player that scored some of the most wonderful goals we have seen in many a year as Hibbies. terrible:rolleyes::rolleyes:

monktonharp
27-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Riordan was brilliant. "Was" brilliant.

But bringing him back now would just reek of utter desperation from Hibs. He doesn't have what it takes to play SPL football anymore.

Thanks for the memories Deek, but those days are over now.
thanks Deek, sorry but we've now got a young French gadgie from the second division over there. yi couldnae lace his bits. :rolleyes:

Winston Ingram
27-10-2013, 09:51 PM
More pish from you that you are starting to steam now.

Look at his goals and you will see he scored a lot more goals in and around the box than he did from outside it, FFS now you are moaning about where he scored his goals from.

104 goals says differently.

If you'd bothered tae read that love ye'd have have noticed I wasn't questioning his goal record as a cf I was questioning his involvement in the game. Can you show me where I was 'moaning' about where he scored his goals from? I know it's a full paragraph & it might be a bit much for you to take in but take yer time, I'm sure ye'll manage:wink:

Winston Ingram
27-10-2013, 10:02 PM

Make stuff up? He got worse as the later he got into his 2nd spell. His effort levels in his last season were deplorable

monktonharp
27-10-2013, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Leigh Griffiths having just turned 23 has more career goals than Derek. If only talent was enough. I tend to agree with what you say, although both players were brought up in very similar areas. I have no idea about their respective circumstances and not interested in commenting on that side of things. other than to say, that they come from housing schemes that I know which every now and then produce real talent in respect to fitba' players . It was lucky for us that both these laddies had a desire to play for Hibernian and both managed to live the dream. Derek Riordan will live in the memory of me for what he did on the field at the holy ground.Leigh, had a really fantastic year for us, which I shall remember, especially Killie and Hampden against Falkirk. It was a real shame that he ended up half fit on the losing side at the final, but that's just the usual luck we tend to get in that cup.would be great to see him wearing the green again, but if he continues his progress at Wolverhampton it wont happen, sadly.

Jonnyboy
27-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Make stuff up? He got worse as the later he got into his 2nd spell. His effort levels in his last season were deplorable

And yet he managed to score eleven goals. Who in the current set up do you think will exceed that modest figure?

monktonharp
27-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Riordan threads on here are like threesome chats in my house. No-one ever agrees on whether they'd be a good thing or not and it's irrelevant anyway cos there's no ****ing chance of the boss ever agreeing to it.so this boss, that wont agree anyway,..... is it you or someone else in your hoose?:wink:

ScottB
27-10-2013, 10:43 PM
I don't think anyone would seriously question how good he was for us in his day. The divide is between those who think that player is still in there, and those that think he's done.

For me we may as well be having a debate about resigning Franck Sauzee.

silverhibee
27-10-2013, 10:43 PM

Talking more pish as usual, sure you were at these games cause yeah you make stuff up.

Don't bother replying.

erskine-hibby
27-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Everyone has a right to their opinion of course, but it seems there are some on here that are such experts on the matter that they KNOW that Deek would never be up to playing in this league. Me...I just wish that we would at least give the guy a chance to prove whether he is done or not. There is nothing to lose, but possibility plenty to gain. Just my opinion of course.

monktonharp
27-10-2013, 11:54 PM
I don't think anyone would seriously question how good he was for us in his day. The divide is between those who think that player is still in there, and those that think he's done.

For me we may as well be having a debate about resigning Franck Sauzee. Franck Sauzee IS finished:cb

Hibercelona
28-10-2013, 12:12 AM
Everyone has a right to their opinion of course, but it seems there are some on here that are such experts on the matter that they KNOW that Deek would never be up to playing in this league. Me...I just wish that we would at least give the guy a chance to prove whether he is done or not. There is nothing to lose, but possibility plenty to gain. Just my opinion of course.

He's done nothing for the last couple of years.

He could have been keeping himself fit and busy, even if it was with a non-league side. But instead, he's chosen to do nothing.

It would be a shambles to let him walk back into the squad. He's got heart, but he ain't got the tools no more.

Winston Ingram
28-10-2013, 06:38 AM
Talking more pish as usual, sure you were at these games cause yeah you make stuff up.

Don't bother replying.

Season ticket holder for years mate. I'd ask it is you what it is you think I've made up but you struggled so badly with my last paragraph so I'll not hold my breath:rolleyes:

J-C
28-10-2013, 06:50 AM
My recollection of Deek in his last spell was him being stuck out on the left wing instead of being played as a number 10 his natural position, out there he couldn't really effect the game as much as he used to, hence why sometimes he looked lazy, more likely he was disinterested being played out wide. He's never had real pace and lived on his quick brain and feet, never been one to back track and it showed out on the left, played in the hole he was a different player.

Brooster
28-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Wouldn't want him anywhere near the squad. Anyone who would IMO are clutching athe the biggest straws ever. Why not bring back gaz and brebner whilst we are at it.

next time I want to hear about deek is on a legends thread and no more.

He's signed for Bury I'm led to believe. Not sure about Brebner though lol.

Twa Cairpets
28-10-2013, 06:56 AM
We lose nothing from letting him train. We gain something if in training he proves himself as a genius compared to the current crop of players.

Anyway, a lot of people seem disillusioned when thinking about his last spell. In which he was our top scorer until stokes was signed. Not a bad player to be behind in the scorers list.

Actually, we do have something to lose.

Regardless of your view of Fenlon, it seems that he is seeking to get in pro's with a certain attitude to training, lifestyle etc.
Regardless of your view of Deeks, it is surely relatively universally agreed that ultimately, he has achieved only a tiny percentage of what his potential was.

If you're trying to change a culture, re-introducing one of the icons of the former culture is, at the very least, a risk.

Twa Cairpets
28-10-2013, 06:58 AM
My recollection of Deek in his last spell was him being stuck out on the left wing instead of being played as a number 10 his natural position, out there he couldn't really effect the game as much as he used to, hence why sometimes he looked lazy, more likely he was disinterested being played out wide. He's never had real pace and lived on his quick brain and feet, never been one to back track and it showed out on the left, played in the hole he was a different player.

Pedantry note:

It should be uninterested, not disinterested. They mean different things.
:wink:

J-C
28-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Pedantry note:

It should be uninterested, not disinterested. They mean different things.
:wink:

Not long woke up,think the brain is still asleep :na na::greengrin

having or feeling no interest in something; uninterested:her father was so disinterested in her progress that he only visited the school once

MWHIBBIES
28-10-2013, 07:05 AM
It's time for Hibs and Deeks to say thanks for memories and move on.It was time for this 3 years ago when he left, its getting pathetic now.

Hibrandenburg
28-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Actually, we do have something to lose.

Regardless of your view of Fenlon, it seems that he is seeking to get in pro's with a certain attitude to training, lifestyle etc.
Regardless of your view of Deeks, it is surely relatively universally agreed that ultimately, he has achieved only a tiny percentage of what his potential was.

If you're trying to change a culture, re-introducing one of the icons of the former culture is, at the very least, a risk.

:agree:

Sergio sledge
28-10-2013, 10:44 AM
When a player is released from a club and is out of work he has two options:

1. If you can't get a contract at the level you think you should be playing at, drop down a level work hard, train hard and prove that you have what it takes to play at a higher level again, or
2. If you can't get a contract at the level you think you should be playing at, decide not to play for anyone and give sporadic interviews to the papers about how you're still better than other players and how you are better than lower league football so won't play at that level.

One of the above options show's a poor attitude and, especially for a a player who's attitude has been questioned in the past, only serves to reinforce the opinion that a lot of managers and fans will already have of the player (whether it is true or not).

Look at Stephen Dobbie. Riordan had more talent in 1 foot than Dobbie had in his whole (sizeable) body IMHO, but one of these players reacted to being released by a club (Riordan in China, St Johnstone and Bristol. Dobbie by St Johnstone) by taking option 1 above and the other reacted taking option 2 above. Their stats tell a story, they are both almost exactly the same age and have played almost exactly the same amount of games in their career with almost exactly the same amount of career goals.

Riordan: Age 30 (Nearly 31)

Hibs – Aug 01 – Jun 06: 146 apps, 64 goals (Cowdenbeath: 3 apps, 4 goals) (0.46 goals per game)
Celtic – Jun 06 – Sept 08: 32 apps, 8 goals (0.25 goals per game)
Hibs – Sept 08 – Jul 11: 113 apps, 39 goals (0.35 goals per game)
Shaanxi Chanba – Jul 11 – Nov 11: 9 apps, 1 goal (0.1 goal per game)
St Johnstone – Mar 12 – Jul 12: 4 apps, 0 goals (0 goals per game)
Bristol Rovers – Sept 12 – Feb 13: 12 apps, 0 goals (0 goals per game)

Total: 319 apps, 116 goals (0.36 goals per game)

His last goal came on the 21st August 2011 in the Chinese Super League

Dobbie: Age 30 (Nearly 31)

Rangers – Aug 00 – Jul 03: 0 apps, 0 goals (Northern Spirit: 3 apps, 3 goals) (1 goal per game)
Hibs – Jul 03 – Jul 05: 44 apps, 7 goals (St Johnstone: 8 apps, 2 goals) (0.17 goals per game)
St Johnstone – Jul 05 – Jan 07: 27 apps, 5 Goals (Dumbarton: 18 apps, 11 goals) (0.36 goals per game)
Queen of the South – Jan 07 – Jul 09: 97 apps, 54 goals (0.56 goals per game)
Swansea – Jul 09 – Aug 12: 67 apps, 14 goals (Blackpool: 32 apps, 12 goals) (0.26 goals per game)
Brighton – Aug 12 – Jul 13: 15 apps, 2 goals (Crystal Palace: 15 apps, 3 goals) (0.17 goals per game)
Crystal Palace – Jul 13 – present: 2 apps, 0 goals (Blackpool: 7 apps, 0 goals) (0 goals per game)

Total: 335 apps, 113 goals (0.34 goals per game)

His last goal came on 27th April 2013 in the English Championship.

If you had told me in 2005, when Riordan (the best finisher I have seen playing at ER) had scored 44 goals for Hibs in just over 2 seasons in the first team and a fat Dobbie had just been released after scoring 7 goals for Hibs in the same amount of time, that one of these players would be playing regular football in the English Championship at the age of 31 and the other wouldn't be playing for anyone I’d have put my house on Riordan being the one still playing.

Instead of giving interviews in the newspapers telling everyone he should be playing in the SPL and is too good for part time football, Riordan should find himself a club in the first division (still won’t call in the “Scottish Championship”), get back to full match sharpness, score a few goals and prove to Scottish Football that he should be playing in the SPL and is too good for part time football.

That is if he still wants to play football. If he doesn’t, then that is fair enough, I’m sure he has earned enough in his career to live a relatively comfortable life at the minute.

Riordan has the talent and ability to play SPL football, without a doubt, but he has to prove that he still has the application and desire to work for it. His recent record and rumours which have followed him around in his career (whether justified or not) suggest that he doesn’t have either the desire or application to work hard and return to the SPL (IMHO).

silverhibee
28-10-2013, 10:45 AM
He's signed for Bury I'm led to believe. Not sure about Brebner though lol.

On trial with them to prove his fitness, don't know what is happening now that Bury have sacked there manager.

Dashing Bob S
28-10-2013, 12:19 PM

1. If you can't get a contract at the level you think you should be playing at, drop down a level work hard, train hard and prove that you have what it takes to play at a higher level again, or
2. If you can't get a contract at the level you think you should be playing at, decide not to play for anyone and give sporadic interviews to the papers about how you're still better than other players and how you are better than lower league football so won't play at that level.

One of the above options show's a poor attitude and, especially for a a player who's attitude has been questioned in the past, only serves to reinforce the opinion that a lot of managers and fans will already have of the player (whether it is true or not).

Look at Stephen Dobbie. Riordan had more talent in 1 foot than Dobbie had in his whole (sizeable) body IMHO, but one of these players reacted to being released by a club (Riordan in China, St Johnstone and Bristol. Dobbie by St Johnstone) by taking option 1 above and the other reacted taking option 2 above. Their stats tell a story, they are both almost exactly the same age and have played almost exactly the same amount of games in their career with almost exactly the same amount of career goals.

Hibs – Aug 01 – Jun 06: 146 apps, 64 goals (Cowdenbeath: 3 apps, 4 goals) (0.46 goals per game)

Rangers – Aug 00 – Jul 03: 0 apps, 0 goals (Northern Spirit: 3 apps, 3 goals) (1 goal per game)
Hibs – Jul 03 – Jul 05: 44 apps, 7 goals (St Johnstone: 8 apps, 2 goals) (0.17 goals per game)
St Johnstone – Jul 05 – Jan 07: 27 apps, 5 Goals (Dumbarton: 18 apps, 11 goals) (0.36 goals per game)
Swansea – Jul 09 – Aug 12: 67 apps, 14 goals (Blackpool: 32 apps, 12 goals) (0.26 goals per game)
Brighton – Aug 12 – Jul 13: 15 apps, 2 goals (Crystal Palace: 15 apps, 3 goals) (0.17 goals per game)
Crystal Palace – Jul 13 – present: 2 apps, 0 goals (Blackpool: 7 apps, 0 goals) (0 goals per game)

If you had told me in 2005, when Riordan (the best finisher I have seen playing at ER) had scored 44 goals for Hibs in just over 2 seasons in the first team and a fat Dobbie had just been released after scoring 7 goals for Hibs in the same amount of time, that one of these players would be playing regular football in the English Championship at the age of 31 and the other wouldn't be playing for anyone I’d have put my house on Riordan being the one still playing.

Instead of giving interviews in the newspapers telling everyone he should be playing in the SPL and is too good for part time football, Riordan should find himself a club in the first division (still won’t call in the “Scottish Championship”), get back to full match sharpness, score a few goals and prove to Scottish Football that he should be playing in the SPL and is too good for part time football.

That is if he still wants to play football. If he doesn’t, then that is fair enough, I’m sure he has earned enough in his career to live a relatively comfortable life at the minute.

Riordan has the talent and ability to play SPL football, without a doubt, but he has to prove that he still has the application and desire to work for it. His recent record and rumours which have followed him around in his career (whether justified or not) suggest that he doesn’t have either the desire or application to work hard and return to the SPL (IMHO).

Instructive, well-argued post, which deserves to be the last word on the subject.

But I suspect that if 10 years from now Deeks was was heading down to the corner shop for a packet of fags and a dozen cans of Stella, there would still be be some folks on here urging Hibs to give him a contract.

Fergus52
28-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Can't believe there's yet another thread on this.

Been done to death :yawn:

He's a club hero, despite never reaching his full potential, and it should be left at that.

Pat won't let him play and rightfully so.

Fergus52
28-10-2013, 01:15 PM

Don't see how any can argue with that.

Brooster
28-10-2013, 01:20 PM
On trial with them to prove his fitness, don't know what is happening now that Bury have sacked there manager.

Thanks Silver, I was speaking to him at East Mains last week and he sounded upbeat and was looking 'fitter' as a result of being in the process of doing his pre season.

.Sean.
28-10-2013, 04:44 PM
The stick Riordan gets off some roasters on this forum is downright embarrassing. 100+ goals for his boyhood heroes, plenty cash in the bank, Scotland caps, I can't help but think it's bitterness and jealousy from some that 'a wee ned' lived their dream. I'd have him in the side ahead of journeymen humpties like Rowan ****ing Vine every day of the week.

Aldo
28-10-2013, 04:49 PM
The stick Riordan gets off some roasters on this forum is downright embarrassing. 100+ goals for his boyhood heroes, plenty cash in the bank, Scotland caps, I can't help but think it's bitterness and jealousy from some that 'a wee ned' lived their dream. I'd have him in the side ahead of journeymen humpties like Rowan ****ing Vine every day of the week.

This

Pretty Boy
28-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Fantastic player in his 1st spell, very good player in his 2nd.

Personally think Derek and Hibs time together has passed and that's probably for the best.

I seriously hope he gets back into the game soon and if that means going part time for 6 months to prove himself again then i'd urge him to consider that.

FranckSuzy
28-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Deek should come on at HT on Wed, like the last cup game with Jonesy etc. GIRU them :agree: :casper:

leggeto
28-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Would love to see him back to prove he still has it but have a feeling Petrie won't allow it,legend

erskine-hibby
28-10-2013, 06:11 PM

Only if he could prove himself during training, but that apart I agree. If Collins is worth £200,000 then Deek, even now, must be worth twice as much.

Judas Iscariot
28-10-2013, 06:24 PM

Spot on mate :top marks

Who would the sc.vm fear more... Rowan Vine or Derek Riordan :cb

Aldo
28-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Spot on mate :top marks Who would the sc.vm fear more... Rowan Vine or Derek Riordan :cb

This but think it might sound better being Vine or Deeks left foot.

But totally agree S.

SteveHFC
28-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Well said mate

Andy74
28-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Spot on mate :top marks

Who would the sc.vm fear more... Rowan Vine or Derek Riordan :cb

Currently Rowan Vine I'd imagine is the realistic answer.

Judas Iscariot
28-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Currently Rowan Vine I'd imagine is the realistic answer.

Maybe..

Only 'cos of his beard tho :rolleyes:

Aldo
28-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Maybe.. Only 'cos of his beard tho :rolleyes:

And/or what he keeps in it??

Judas Iscariot
28-10-2013, 06:36 PM
And/or what he keeps in it??

Maybe that's where the "player" in him is hiding?

Aldo
28-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Maybe that's where the "player" in him is hiding?

Ha ha Pmsl at that. Maybe?

michael_wilson1
28-10-2013, 07:15 PM
would take a punt on him , the guys attitude is bad but there is no denying the talent , better than that mug collins we have

The Green Goblin
28-10-2013, 07:18 PM

If true, that won't exactly help his cause in getting back in at Hibs, will it?

grunt
28-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Great photo from the Guardian http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/10/22/1382474680146/593667a3-ee23-42a7-810c-b418a49b7ae5-620x372.jpeg

Borderhibbie76
28-10-2013, 10:51 PM
would take a punt on him , the guys attitude is bad but there is no denying the talent , better than that mug collins we have

Yeah thats right slag off a guy who has played 10 games for us. ..totally unnecessary

MWHIBBIES
29-10-2013, 05:26 AM
would take a punt on him , the guys attitude is bad but there is no denying the talent , better than that mug collins we haveExcept he probably isn't because he cant get a team and hasn't scored in over 2 years, but yeah, keep making stuff up if it makes you feel better

Aldo
29-10-2013, 06:59 AM

Two totally different players.

I am sure Collins will come good given the service.

ScottB
29-10-2013, 07:06 AM
It's sad how quick people are to put the boot into current players in favour of a guy that hasn't kicked a ball in over a year.

Let's just move on shall we?

Lmc2105
29-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Two totally different players.

I am sure Collins will come good given the service.

Spot on Aldo at Swindon collins lived on the service from the wide
areas, that's where the majority off his goals came from, has
he had that at hibs? not a chance, wide play will come you will see
the best off collins

J-C
29-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Spot on Aldo at Swindon collins lived on the service from the wide
areas, that's where the majority off his goals came from, has
he had that at hibs? not a chance, wide play will come you will see
the best off collins

Which again makes you question Fenlon's tactical know how, here we have a striker who thrives on wide service yet we have very little width or pace in the team, so he ends up struggling and starts to lose confidence. :confused:

Lmc2105
29-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Which again makes you question Fenlon's tactical know how, here we have a striker who thrives on wide service yet we have very little width or pace in the team, so he ends up struggling and starts to lose confidence. :confused:

Exactly, am not a big fan off the manager but as you said his tactics and the way he uses our best players is questionable, I thought with bringing in Zoubir we would get a little bit more width and more crosses coming in which should suit Collins, but am yet to see that as he is played through the middle where IMO that's L.Craig's best position, When Cairney & Harris get back in the team will that change? only time will tell a suppose, but a agree with you play the tactics to suit the Big man and give him service

Phil MaGlass
29-10-2013, 09:13 AM
I find it quite amazing that he can actually come out and slate Fenlon in a newspaper and then expect any f,n manager to take a chance on him, the guys a f,n waster , no more no less and he has nobody else to blame but himself if he is not playing, it seems, from the rumblings I have heard is managers have put the word round that he is trouble and he wont get a game anywhere. Why you not playing Deek? Surely if you wanted to you could?
Great talent, WASTED.

silverhibee
29-10-2013, 10:19 AM
I find it quite amazing that he can actually come out and slate Fenlon in a newspaper and then expect any f,n manager to take a chance on him, the guys a f,n waster , no more no less and he has nobody else to blame but himself if he is not playing, it seems, from the rumblings I have heard is managers have put the word round that he is trouble and he wont get a game anywhere. Why you not playing Deek? Surely if you wanted to you could?
Great talent, WASTED.

In what way do you mean trouble.

marinello59
29-10-2013, 10:36 AM

I heard he often let off smoke bombs and flares at training. :agree:

FranckSuzy
29-10-2013, 10:38 AM

Does he only wear black and cover his face as well? Sinister :agree:

FranckSuzy
29-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Great talent, WASTED.

Aye, oh to be a "f,n waster" who has lived the dream, given thousands of fans some great moments and made plenty of fantastic memories :rolleyes:

lucky
29-10-2013, 10:52 AM
[/B]
Aye, oh to be a "f,n waster" who has lived the dream, given thousands of fans some great moments and made plenty of fantastic memories :rolleyes:

That's the key he has given us memories, but sadly his time has gone let's move on. I don't like it when ex players slag the club or when they can't accept there time has gone

silverhibee
29-10-2013, 10:59 AM

Fair do's, but someone had to guide in Jonaton Johansson while he landed his helicopter at EM. :greengrin

Aldo
29-10-2013, 11:02 AM
I don't get this tbh.. Folk calling him a waster/trouble maker etc you forget one thing... It's up to him so get off his back.

The guy is legend in my eyes and didn't just I've us good or great moments but some outstanding moments whilst wearing a Hibs Jersey.

As for his off field issues for me they have been blown totally out of proportion and is an easy target for the powers that be. Yes in certain situations he didn't help himself and should of walked away. He got banned from up town what for shouting at folk or handbags at dawn.

Folk get away with a lot more than what Derek has done... Folk wanting to make a name for themselves etc. folk get battered senseless, glass folk and what they get a fine but usually get back up the town after the court case.

We all make mistakes but has he really caused that much bother to merit calling him a ****ing waster and a trouble maker..., NO

I respect other folks opinions but really.

My opinion mind.

J-C
29-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Exactly, am not a big fan off the manager but as you said his tactics and the way he uses our best players is questionable, I thought with bringing in Zoubir we would get a little bit more width and more crosses coming in which should suit Collins, but am yet to see that as he is played through the middle where IMO that's L.Craig's best position, When Cairney & Harris get back in the team will that change? only time will tell a suppose, but a agree with you play the tactics to suit the Big man and give him service

As an aside, why is Liam Craig only an attacking left mid in FM14 when he's also an attacking CM too.

sorry for hijack. :greengrin

The_Exile
29-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Deek could come into the starting line-up tomorrow and score a hat-trick, it's the type of player he is, he could spend 88 minutes where nothing goes for him and then score a winner out of nothing, you do not lose that, never, you either have that in your locker or you don't, he could spend the next 10 years on a desert island and come back for 1 game and do it, there's only a handful of players that IMO can do that and we were lucky enough to have one on the books.

In relation to his "behaviour", I've only ever read stories, there's been no evidence of him being a trouble maker. Also read stories about when he's out with his mates etc that he's a trouble maker, I can only speak from personal experience and again, not stories from someone else, but I bumped into him a couple of times over the years and he was nothing but an absolute gent who was more than happy to talk Hibs and fitba.

If he's offering to play for nothing then there's no decision to be made, he improves the team significantly if he gets his head down and works hard on fitness and sharpness, there is nothing to lose and everything to gain. Again I'm basing that on the player I know he is capable of being, not hearsay and stories I read on the web.

Judas Iscariot
29-10-2013, 12:04 PM
I don't get this tbh.. Folk calling him a waster/trouble maker etc you forget one thing... It's up to him so get off his back.

The guy is legend in my eyes and didn't just I've us good or great moments but some outstanding moments whilst wearing a Hibs Jersey.

As for his off field issues for me they have been blown totally out of proportion and is an easy target for the powers that be. Yes in certain situations he didn't help himself and should of walked away. He got banned from up town what for shouting at folk or handbags at dawn.

Folk get away with a lot more than what Derek has done... Folk wanting to make a name for themselves etc. folk get battered senseless, glass folk and what they get a fine but usually get back up the town after the court case.

We all make mistakes but has he really caused that much bother to merit calling him a ****ing waster and a trouble maker..., NO

I respect other folks opinions but really.

My opinion mind.

Deek could come into the starting line-up tomorrow and score a hat-trick, it's the type of player he is, he could spend 88 minutes where nothing goes for him and then score a winner out of nothing, you do not lose that, never, you either have that in your locker or you don't, he could spend the next 10 years on a desert island and come back for 1 game and do it, there's only a handful of players that IMO can do that and we were lucky enough to have one on the books.

In relation to his "behaviour", I've only ever read stories, there's been no evidence of him being a trouble maker. Also read stories about when he's out with his mates etc that he's a trouble maker, I can only speak from personal experience and again, not stories from someone else, but I bumped into him a couple of times over the years and he was nothing but an absolute gent who was more than happy to talk Hibs and fitba.

If he's offering to play for nothing then there's no decision to be made, he improves the team significantly if he gets his head down and works hard on fitness and sharpness, there is nothing to lose and everything to gain. Again I'm basing that on the player I know he is capable of being, not hearsay and stories I read on the web.

:top marks To both :agree:

Wilson
29-10-2013, 12:05 PM
How many career hat-tricks has Deek got out of interest? I'm fairly sure the odds are against him walking into a team and scoring one. Certainly not at a decent level. That might be the image people have in their head but it has no base in reality.

It is a young man's game. Griffiths, Gauld. If Deek was 6 or 7 years younger he'd be worth a punt. As it is I fear there is more risk than likely reward.

Move on.

Keith_M
29-10-2013, 12:11 PM

He'd more likely be blowing out his *rse after ten minutes.

If I had even half of Deek's talent and had practically retired at the age of 29, I'd be at a shrink to try to work out how it all went so badly wrong.

sambajustice
29-10-2013, 12:24 PM
This thread is an embarrassment.

You folk that want him to come back need to have a word with yourself. There's obviously a reason he doesn't play for anyone anymore and has barely played in the last 2 seasons. What was the last professional goal he scored? And you folk expect him to come in sharp as a tack, fire in 15 goals this season! Deary me!!

Surely if he was that good then a team like Killie or St Johnstone would have come in for him before now!! Oh... :rolleyes:

The_Exile
29-10-2013, 12:26 PM

If I had even half of Deek's talent and had practically retired at the age of 29, I'd be at a shrink to try to work out how it all went so badly wrong.

If he got himself fit he wouldn't be. I'm not overly bothered about his career or indeed lack of it recently up to this point, it's about looking forward, just because he's made some ***** decisions in the past doesn't mean he doesn't deserve another shot, he is offering to play for nowt! He would score goals and make a positive contribution if fit, of that i have no doubt. Lets be honest here, if we put him in team tomorrow he would score, no matter what shape he's in, the closest example I can think of would be Matt Le Tissier, guy was a genius and always looked like he couldn't be arsed :greengrin

Aldo
29-10-2013, 12:27 PM
This thread is an embarrassment. You folk that want him to come back need to have a word with yourself. There's obviously a reason he doesn't play for anyone anymore and has barely played in the last 2 seasons. What was the last professional goal he scored? And you folk expect him to come in sharp as a tack, fire in 15 goals this season! Deary me!! Surely if he was that good then a team like Killie or St Johnstone would have come in for him before now!! Oh... :rolleyes:

Didnt say I wanted him back... I personally think he's had his time but was not happy at the way some folk were having go at him calling him a waster etc.

The_Exile
29-10-2013, 12:28 PM

You folk that want him to come back need to have a word with yourself. There's obviously a reason he doesn't play for anyone anymore and has barely played in the last 2 seasons. What was the last professional goal he scored? And you folk expect him to come in sharp as a tack, fire in 15 goals this season! Deary me!!

Surely if he was that good then a team like Killie or St Johnstone would have come in for him before now!! Oh... :rolleyes:

Don't think anyone said he'd come in sharp as a tack, would take a good while for him to get up to match sharpness, but I wouldn't put it past him to be our top scorer. Silver has already explained the Killie and Ross County situations, it's not as straight forward as what you're making out.

KeithTheHibby
29-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Deek will always be a legend in my eyes, some of his goals were sublime and a joy to watch.

If our manager brought him back in to take a look at him I would back him to make the right decision as to whether he was worthy of a contract.

However I do wonder why he is not playing at all at any level in scottish football? Now perhaps it may be the case that he doesn't want to play below a certain level however he is not exactly being sought after by the country's best teams to my knowledge?

silverhibee
29-10-2013, 12:34 PM

Deek seems pretty fit to me, he still looks after himself by jogging most mornings and he fits in a game of golf a few days a week and has his five a sides twice a week, and a couple of nights down at the gym, i pretty doubt very much he would be blowing out his arse after 10 minutes, honestly, believe it or not but he does look after himself fitness wise, it's not as if he has put on 5 stone or something and wabbling about the place. :aok:

The Sea-gull
29-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Deek seems pretty fit to me, he still looks after himself by jogging most mornings and he fits in a game of golf a few days a week and has his five a sides twice a week, and a couple of nights down at the gym, i pretty doubt very much he would be blowing out his arse after 10 minutes, honestly, believe it or not but he does look after himself fitness wise, it's not as if he has put on 5 stone or something and wabbling about the place. :aok:

Is he still looking for a club? I personally would love to see a fit Derek Riordan back playing, ideally for Hibs but if not then someone else. The Scottish game is a poorer place without the likes of him and Gaz O'Conor for that matter too. It is a waste that they are not playing SPL football when they are not even 30 yet.

Derek seems to have wasted two years and O'Connor hasn't done anything meaningful since he left us in May 2012.

What I would say to all those who say Derek was poor in his final season of his second spell and Gary was poor in his single season with us, Derek hit 11 goals that season, not always playing up top and Gaz got 16 in his. And that's them having poor seasons in worse teams than we have now. Some SPL forwards don't get that many in a season in their careers. I also wouldn't be surprised if none of our strikers get into double figures this season or only scrape it and they will be defended as "they don't get the service" and "they have a good touch and do a lot of good running off the ball". That might entertain some folk but I get more entertainment watching my strikers scoring goals.

I do wonder if it is not so much Pat who has spurned the chance to sign Derek and more likely someone from higher up in the club who has prevented it.

The Modfather
29-10-2013, 01:03 PM

He may seem fit to you, but MK Dons didn't believe he was fit enough for a trial with them.

IMO Riordan would be far better served working with the club educating our youngsters so as not to make the same mistakes he has. For me, he is a posterboy that natural talent (which he had in abundance) on it's own isn't enough, when not blended in with hard work and profesional lifestyle.

Wish him all the best, but, IMO, a link to a culture that we have hopefully left long behind now.

Keith_M
29-10-2013, 01:29 PM

That's fair enough but he's hardly played in the last two years and there's a big difference between being reasonably fit and match fit.

If he's got it to play at a reasonable level, why does nobody want him?

sambajustice
29-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Don't think anyone said he'd come in sharp as a tack, would take a good while for him to get up to match sharpness, but I wouldn't put it past him to be our top scorer. Silver has already explained the Killie and Ross County situations, it's not as straight forward as what you're making out.

Surely any player worth any sort of salt would keep ticking over, playing at a lower level to keep match fit and up to speed in the hope of a bigger move - someone mentioned that already. He's barely kicked a ball, for anyone in the last couple of years, it would take him the rest of the season to get match fit.

I don't have anything against him, "thanks for the goals Derek", but its absolutely mental to think he could come back after 2 years off eff all and think he could do something. To play sport at the highest level you have to be practicing at the highest level every single day. He's not. There's no way he could come back and play now without playing at a lower level first.

silverhibee
29-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Surely any player worth any sort of salt would keep ticking over, playing at a lower level to keep match fit and up to speed in the hope of a bigger move - someone mentioned that already. He's barely kicked a ball, for anyone in the last couple of years, it would take him the rest of the season to get match fit.

I don't have anything against him, "thanks for the goals Derek", but its absolutely mental to think he could come back after 2 years off eff all and think he could do something. To play sport at the highest level you have to be practicing at the highest level every single day. He's not. There's no way he could come back and play now without playing at a lower level first.

I would find that hard to believe, Bury FC have got GOC on trial down there and they reckon he will be fully fit in 6 weeks.

Fergus52
29-10-2013, 01:58 PM
We really do have some idiotic fans.

The_Exile
29-10-2013, 02:10 PM

I agree with you somewhat, so lets sign him and have him play half a dozen East of Scotland league games :greengrin

Squealing pig
29-10-2013, 02:19 PM
The boy is a ledgend and we will still.be talking about him in 50 years time

marinello59
29-10-2013, 03:01 PM
The boy is a ledgend and we will still.be talking about him in 50 years time

True. Somebody will be suggesting that he could still do a job for us. :greengrin

Speedy
29-10-2013, 03:02 PM

If he's a bad influence then we do lose something.

He's scored 1 goal since he left Hibs so based on that I'd forget it.

Hibrandenburg
29-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Deek will always be a legend in my eyes, some of his goals were sublime and a joy to watch.

If our manager brought him back in to take a look at him I would back him to make the right decision as to whether he was worthy of a contract.

However I do wonder why he is not playing at all at any level in scottish football? Now perhaps it may be the case that he doesn't want to play below a certain level however he is not exactly being sought after by the country's best teams to my knowledge?

It's the same in all walks of life, if you apply for a job after being unemployed for 2 years then the alarm bells would go off in any potential employer's head regardless of the quality of the CV.

Judas Iscariot
29-10-2013, 04:21 PM

It's the same in all walks of life, if you apply for a job after being unemployed for 2 years then the alarm bells would go off in any potential employer's head regardless of the quality of the CV.

On the other hand with a CV like DR's, YPOTY, 100+ goals for Hibs, medals winner with Celtc, Scotland Caps etc some may think there's a player in there & well worth a trial....

.Sean.
29-10-2013, 04:27 PM

And you'd know how good he is from your view from the Subbuteo table aye? The true 'embarassment' is the folk who can't wait to stick the knife in a guy who's banged in over 100 goals for the club.

Leishy1995
29-10-2013, 04:39 PM
The fact we have an east of Scotland team aswell would benefit a returning Deek. I dunno just my opinion that if he showed the hunger to get fit and prove to Fenlon he wants to play for us again then I'd be happy with it

Beefster
29-10-2013, 05:03 PM
The fact we have an east of Scotland team aswell would benefit a returning Deek. I dunno just my opinion that if he showed the hunger to get fit and prove to Fenlon he wants to play for us again then I'd be happy with it

Everything about Hibs would benefit a returning Riordan seeing as he can't seem to find a club. The issue is whether Hibs feel he would sufficiently benefit us. At the moment, it appears not. I doubt whatever he said in the Sun will have changed that.

Bostonhibby
29-10-2013, 05:11 PM

On reflection I agree with all of this Sean, only things that would have to be proven today is desire, fitness and keeping clear of trouble off the pitch - where I felt he was often an easy target.

sambajustice
29-10-2013, 05:56 PM
And you'd know how good he is from your view from the Subbuteo table aye? The true 'embarassment' is the folk who can't wait to stick the knife in a guy who's banged in over 100 goals for the club.

You're just a bigot and dont warrant a reply.

sambajustice
29-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Im not slating the guy, I've met him a few times and he's been sound enough. Good player back in the day but cant have anything left in the tank if he's not kicked a ball for over 2 years.

Any player that had any hunger left would surely go back to basics and start at the bottom. If he doesnt want to then fair enough his life, but these bi monthly threads wanting to bring him back are pitiful.

What he did 10 years ago doesnt mean he can do it now. Its just life.

ScottB
29-10-2013, 06:44 PM
If he's refusing to play lower league to prove he can still do it, is he likely to want to prove himself in the EoS League?

The_Exile
29-10-2013, 09:15 PM
If he's refusing to play lower league to prove he can still do it, is he likely to want to prove himself in the EoS League?

I'd imagine he'd play in any league if it meant getting to wear a Hibs jersey again. Some players are destined for 1 club.

Judas Iscariot
30-10-2013, 08:53 PM
So James Collins & Rowan Vine aye!?

1 is worse than Christian Nade and the other looks like a ****ing tramp not to mention being utterly woeful..

Give me a 2 season rusty Derek Riordan any day of the week over those 2 ****ing clowns

Waxy
30-10-2013, 08:54 PM

1 is worse than Christian Nade and the other looks like a ****ing tramp not to mention being utterly woeful..

Give me a 2 season rusty Derek Riordan any day of the week over those 2 ****ing clownsHahaha brilliant.The way i feel right now i say bring back Deek.

One Day Soon
30-10-2013, 08:56 PM

Give me a 2 season rusty Derek Riordan any day of the week over those 2 ****ing clowns

You're just wrong about that - he doesn't have the fitness or the cutting edge anymore. You could take him on as manager though, that could only improve things.

Judas Iscariot
30-10-2013, 08:59 PM
You're just wrong about that - he doesn't have the fitness or the cutting edge anymore. You could take him on as manager though, that could only improve things.

Vine & Collins have a cutting edge like?!

Pair of them look like half cut Sunday amatuer players at best..

One Day Soon
30-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Vine & Collins have a cutting edge like?!

Pair of them look like half cut Sunday amatuer players at best..

Sorry, I cannot get excited about this while Fenlon remains in charge. Deek might or might not be a better set of deckchairs on the Titanic, but its still the Titanic.

Judas Iscariot
30-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Sorry, I cannot get excited about this while Fenlon remains in charge. Deek might or might not be a better set of deckchairs on the Titanic, but its still the Titanic.

Not excited, far from it..

Just sure DR would offer more than those 2 carthorses

erskine-hibby
30-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Imho deek would have scored at least one of those chances tonight, yes, even though he has been out for a while.

lord bunberry
30-10-2013, 09:45 PM
If deeks is worse than either of those 2 clowns that mascaraded as strikers today then he will know himself that his career is over. If he is prepared to play for free then i don't aee what we have to lose.

gorgie greens
30-10-2013, 10:02 PM
If deeks is worse than either of those 2 clowns that mascaraded as strikers today then he will know himself that his career is over. If he is prepared to play for free then i don't aee what we have to lose.

no one has ever questioned his ability,what he showed second time round was a guy who looked like he could not give a @@@@ about Hibs,unless he had the ball placed on his foot he would do nothing,and after two years out of the game i for one would like to remember the young great skillful player and thank him for what he did for us,but thanks but no thanks.

Judas Iscariot
31-10-2013, 05:49 AM
Are folk seriously still suggesting that Vine & Collins are fit, have a cutting edge AND look interested in playing for Hibs?!

Those 2 are stealing a wage from us every week, a healthy wage at that I bet...

Deeks was willing to play for free...

MrRobot
31-10-2013, 08:09 AM
I don't see what we have to lose by signing Deek. If it doesn't work and we haven't paid him then why shouldn't we give it a bash?

Put a clause saying any negative attitude or behaviour and we cancel his contract.

May not be the same player he was but he has passion and I reckon will do better than most of our team currently are doing.

Northern Hibby
31-10-2013, 09:16 AM
The entire Hibs team doesn't look fit, not sure what they do at EM can any of our current "players" trap a ball, retain the ball from a throw in, beat a man, put a cross in the box or do any of what I think is basic football even when going forward as soon as we cross the halfway line we stop, 10mins to go 1-0 down and we're still passing back to Ben Williams

Bad Martini
31-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Having watched every home gome this season, I'd like to say this:

ROWAN VINE IS *****. Sorry, but thats the truth. I dont know why a previously "half decent" player can go so wayward but he did/is (in the main, give or take a few moments here and there) and he is a waste of a WAGE. Read, last word again slowly ... W-A-G-E. Money talks...and we're wasting it on Vine and a good few others.

Now, if Riordan comes to training for a week, puts in a shift, looks like he could still have some potential and costs us NITTO we have lost what? Can he "disrupt" a dressing room in one week? Really? He's THAT good at being disruptive?

Bollocks.

We cant be choosy. We are now in season (4/5/6) of "trans ****ing ition" ?????? BAWS.

Incidentally, I also note on another thread the pish on Thomson. I dont like Thomson and havent since the ****ing shambolic nonsense him and the less despised Scott Brown caused on their transfergate pish. I'll say this though; I have watched Thomson since his return. I dont forget or forgive the past but I will gie him the credit he deserves; he was good last night, he fought for the ball, he has done this ALL season and in fact, I would suggest he has been a good re-signing.
I didnt think I would ever say that but heyho, I was wrong on his ability. And long may he continue to get into every challenge and power forward. He doesnt always get it right but I wont fault him for effort.

As for Riordan, many have questionned his "effort" over the years. If you can do the business without sweating SO ****ING WHAT?? Lets see some goals. I read yesterday about how we have no goalscoring issues "and Stranraer proved that" !!! WTF! We could score against a lower league team. Couldnt score twice against the mutants though and they are, the worst team in the premiership. We have scored goals this season but from what I've seen, when dead balls and set pieces could have turned a game, we're not there. We have no Sparky now....

...ah, we have Vine? We have Craig? Ahem. OK then.

I read somewhere that when Deek offered to play for free it was costing "too much". Pish. He is a better finisher than anyone at ER right now. Given some people's apparent distain for his lack of effort and speed in the past, what odds does it make to his age? The best players make the ball do the work and move the ball into the right places (the goals would do for starters).

Dont need a tin hat, dont need to defend my opinion on the best goalscorer we've had in years and one of the best talents in decades. IF we can put aside Thomsons pish and give him a try, why not Deek. Incidentally, I dont doubt Thomson could set Deek off on a few runs and give him some service, it just might work. And cost us **** ALL.

Meantime, Petrie and Fenlon can **** off.

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Personally i think Derek's time has gone, but i'd still give him the opportunity to have a go at getting fit.

And when you see just how awful a player Vine is, then Riordan would not have to train for very long to reach that standard.

Jones28
31-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Despite last night, still a no.

Why not focus on bringing on our young talent (Caldwell and Handling) instead of bringing back an ex player who hasn't kicked a ball for 2 years.

Hibrandenburg
31-10-2013, 11:39 AM
I actually caught myself thinking in a few scenarios last night "would Deeks have done better in that situation in his present condition?" I was surprised at how often the answer was "yes".

hibbeedavid
31-10-2013, 12:06 PM
I don't see why we shouldn't take a chance if it was for free, make it absolutely clear that if he got up to any untoward antics he would be out the door, and watching last night, a very rusty Riordan would have done better than Collins and most definitely Vine

I don't get why people slate him over his second spell, he wasn't as good as he was but he still managed double figures from out wide!

(((Fergus)))
31-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Player-manager?

Thecat23
31-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Player-manager?

Is this a joke??

sadtom
31-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Deek for gaffer!
Hopefully bring back some much needed indiscipline to the club.
At least it might provide us with some sort if entertainment. ;-)

hibeesboii
02-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Does anyone think now fenlon is away deeks could come train? Need something up front why not give him a try?

LancsHibs
02-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Might now open the door for him to come in for a trial, see what his fitness & attitude are like:agree:

Northernhibee
02-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Even if he played for free Deek would be a wage thief nowadays.

Let it go, he was a good player years ago.

weonlywon6-2
02-11-2013, 02:02 PM

This one hundred times over.lets remember him as a good player and not a failure because thats what he would be if he came back

Judas Iscariot
02-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Might now open the door for him to come in for a trial, see what his fitness & attitude are like:agree:

I'd hope so

Bostonhibby
02-11-2013, 03:40 PM

:agree: Hear what you say, but what if he came back a bit slower, a bit better behaved, managed 3 on target every game and one goal in four games? could be a legend again measured against recent performances.

We are Hibs, the club that gave George Best a chance. If Deeks behaved and knocked in a couple of wonder goals between now and the end of the season and made the Yam less cocky just because he was on the pitch I'd pay his wage myself - especially as he said he'd play for free :wink:

California-Hibs
02-11-2013, 03:50 PM
If Sheils becomes manager it could be interesting. Remember Kenny brought him in for a trial at Kilmarnock..

snooky
02-11-2013, 03:56 PM
If Sheils becomes manager it could be interesting. Remember Kenny brought him in for a trial at Kilmarnock..

And the outcome was? :dunno:

Hibrandenburg
02-11-2013, 04:01 PM
:agree: Hear what you say, but what if he came back a bit slower, a bit better behaved, managed 3 on target every game and one goal in four games? could be a legend again measured against recent performances.

We are Hibs, the club that gave George Best a chance. If Deeks behaved and knocked in a couple of wonder goals between now and the end of the season and made the Yam less cocky just because he was on the pitch I'd pay his wage myself - especially as he said he'd play for free :wink:

Stop this thread, it's getting silly! Comparing Deeks to George Best? Ridiculous.

On second thoughts. :devil:

hibeeleicester
02-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Some ridiculous comments on this.

Past is the past, leave it there....

lord bunberry
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
And the outcome was? :dunno:

They wanted to sign him but couldn't afford it according to silverhibee

Bostonhibby
02-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Stop this thread, it's getting silly! Comparing Deeks to George Best? Ridiculous.

On second thoughts. :devil:

The comparison was obviously too subtle for you :wink:

It's about flying in the face of mediocrity, taking a punt when no one else wants to, or would.

You never know what might happen, and even if, as in Bestie's spell we actually end up no better off we will all feel better for the experience, I know I did and I went to every one of his games for us for the experience and the legacy that we still talk about now.

snooky
02-11-2013, 04:33 PM

Thanks for that - I seemed to remember there was a reason other than football (hence the :dunno:)

silverhibee
02-11-2013, 04:41 PM

Not just me, Deek said it in the story in the Sun, couldn't even afford to pay him expenses.

I believe Shiels wanted to sing him but there was simply no money to make it happen from Killie.

erskine-hibby
02-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Too many people seem to KNOW that he is done. Must be great to have such insight. If it is only an opinion then fine, but no one knows for sure unless he is given the chance. IMHO he should be given that chance then maybe we all will KNOW one way or the other.

weonlywon6-2
02-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Too many people seem to KNOW that he is done. Must be great to have such insight. If it is only an opinion then fine, but no one knows for sure unless he is given the chance. IMHO he should be given that chance then maybe we all will KNOW one way or the other.

If he had anything at all he would be playing for someone just now.
Dont understand why people are wanting to bring in a player that hasnt kicked a ballin anger for two years now ???

JJP
02-11-2013, 04:56 PM
He would still have the technique. He would still score goals and create chances for others. Can't see what we would have to lose by giving him a trial at the very least. He's a legend at this club as far as I'm concerned and he deserves to be treated that way.

Bostonhibby
02-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Dont understand why people are wanting to bring in a player that hasnt kicked a ballin anger for two years now ???

It's the Hibs connection that he has and the fact that he is on the point of being lost to us and football forever at an age where he maybe could still do it.

If we'd even got close to replacing what he did the issue wouldn't arise, but Leigh's gone so a quarter of a season later here we are, we are used to a moments genius and are clutching at straws.........................

erskine-hibby
02-11-2013, 05:24 PM

So because of that it means he can't do it again?
A bit short sighted if that is the case. Players like that may slow down but never lose the eye for the goal.

Northernhibee
02-11-2013, 05:29 PM
So because of that it means he can't do it again?
A bit short sighted if that is the case. Players like that may slow down but never lose the eye for the goal.

The fact he doesn't seem willing to drop a league for six months to prove himself tells you all you need to know about how much he 'wants it'.

Really, another spell would destroy any good wil towards him.

erskine-hibby
02-11-2013, 05:36 PM
The fact he doesn't seem willing to drop a league for six months to prove himself tells you all you need to know about how much he 'wants it'.

Really, another spell would destroy any good wil towards him.

Or maybe he just thinks he has more to offer than wallowing around at a lower league team, but unless he is given a chance we will never know eh?
All anyone is saying is let him train, if he doesn't prove himself then so be it...but if he does...

hibeeleicester
02-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Or maybe he just thinks he has more to offer than wallowing around at a lower league team, but unless he is given a chance we will never know eh?
All anyone is saying is let him train, if he doesn't prove himself then so be it...but if he does...

Well if he thinks that he's wrong... Hes not got more to offer, at the minute he isnt wanted by a SPFL team. All he has to offer at the minute is lower leagues, work himself back up..... Like any other footballer.

erskine-hibby
02-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Well if he thinks that he's wrong... Hes not got more to offer, at the minute he isnt wanted by a SPFL team. All he has to offer at the minute is lower leagues, work himself back up..... Like any other footballer.

So how do you KNOW this?
You don't.
You are just assuming this is the case.

hibeeleicester
02-11-2013, 05:46 PM
So how do you KNOW this?
You don't.
You are just assuming this is the case.

Is he at an SPFL club?

erskine-hibby
02-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Is he at an SPFL club?

As was said before he was wanted by Killie but they couldn't afford him.

Jonnyboy
02-11-2013, 05:52 PM
The saddest thing of all about these Deek threads is that it gives some Hibs fans the chance to slag him off, call him a waster, say he's cocked up his life etc.

Thankfully, none of the above is true

Why can't we just remember all the good times he gave us when scoring his 100+ goals for the club, including 39 in his second spell when some have marked him down as lazy and disinterested during that same spell

hibeeleicester
02-11-2013, 05:55 PM

That wasnt my question.

He's not playing SPFL, until he is back in the SPFL producing.... He isnt SPFL standard.

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2013, 05:58 PM
The saddest thing of all about these Deek threads is that it gives some Hibs fans the chance to slag him off, call him a waster, say he's cocked up his life etc.

Thankfully, none of the above is true

Why can't we just remember all the good times he gave us when scoring his 100+ goals for the club, including 39 in his second spell when some have marked him down as lazy and disinterested during that same spell

:agree: While i think its probably too late, i don't see a problem in having a look just to make sure.

He has given me some of my best recent memories as a Hibs fan, and does go down as a Hibs legend, some of his goals were amazing.

Jonnyboy
02-11-2013, 05:58 PM
That wasnt my question.

He's not playing SPFL, until he is back in the SPFL producing.... He isnt SPFL standard.

Pedant alert. Deek has never played in the SPFL :wink:

erskine-hibby
02-11-2013, 06:02 PM
That wasnt my question.

So the likes of say lee McCulloch and John Daly aren't SPL standard??

Just because your not IN the SPL doesn't mean your not SPL standard. If that were the case we would ONLY sign Players from Other SPL clubs and not from lower leagues.

hibeeleicester
02-11-2013, 06:05 PM
So the likes of say lee McCulloch and John Daly aren't SPL standard??

Just because your not IN the SPL doesn't mean your not SPL standard. If that were the case we would ONLY sign Players from Other SPL clubs and not from lower leagues.

Youre right mate :agree:

erskine-hibby
02-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Youre right mate :agree:

I would take Daly any time.

MSK
02-11-2013, 06:27 PM
If Derek Riordan is so desperate to play for hibs ..why the **** is he not knocking his ****ing pan in with another club in his attempt to get back ..?...if he was that desperate he would be playing right now ..obviously he doesn't give a **** so why should we ..!!

hibby6270
02-11-2013, 08:59 PM
If he wants to play for free. If he's available. Just sign him. End off!!!:thumbsup::agree:

We did the same with KT last season and he has signed a proper deal and is probably the main stand out player this season so far.

In Deek's case - remember - form is temporary but class is permanent.::top marks:

Hiber-nation
02-11-2013, 09:02 PM
If Derek Riordan is so desperate to play for hibs ..why the **** is he not knocking his ****ing pan in with another club in his attempt to get back ..?...if he was that desperate he would be playing right now ..obviously he doesn't give a **** so why should we ..!!

We all know that no other club will touch him with a bargepole after his recent record. Totally bizarre that so many think he can just waltz back in and become the player he was in 2005.

Andy74
02-11-2013, 10:02 PM

I'm sure they could match the zero he has been getting in recent times.

Why isn't he playing at some level short term at least ?

He's retired basically.

Steve-O
02-11-2013, 10:03 PM

So now he's pricing himself out of the market? Aye, really desperate to at by the sounds of it.

erskine-hibby
02-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Yeah well some will not be persuaded either way. For me I can't see, and no one yet has given me an excuse to think any different, any reason why we can't get him in training for say a month, see how he is and if he shows that he can offer us something still, but perhaps lacks a bit of fitness/match practice, send him out to the likes of Cowdenbeath, or whoever, to get some games under his belt. Could work for both parties if and only if he shows the right attitude and application.
Could be a win/win situation if the will is there on both sides.

silverhibee
02-11-2013, 11:45 PM
I'm sure they could match the zero he has been getting in recent times.

Why isn't he playing at some level short term at least ?

He's retired basically.

i will take that bet and say he hasn't.

£20 to Leith Links :aok:

The Modfather
02-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Yeah well some will not be persuaded either way. For me I can't see, and no one yet has given me an excuse to think any different, any reason why we can't get him in training for say a month, see how he is and if he shows that he can offer us something still, but perhaps lacks a bit of fitness/match practice, send him out to the likes of Cowdenbeath, or whoever, to get some games under his belt. Could work for both parties if and only if he shows the right attitude and application.

Could be a win/win situation if the will is there on both sides.

He's a link to a culture we have have allegedly left behind. Wether it is accurate or not he has earned himself a bad reputation/baggage.

Give Handling and Caldwell more game time. They are the future, not someone who at 30 has been out of the game for 2 years.