View Full Version : Wheatfield Road

25-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Having just moved into Gorgie ... I've had it all already!! :wink:

However, after traveling down Westfield Road, I noticed a sports bar at the bottom, next to the car garage, what's it like? I noticed it has a big Hibs style St. Andrews cross on the entrance. :not worth

And; also, where are all you hibees, living in Gorgie, drinking? Recommendations please :aok:

25-10-2013, 01:01 PM

However, after traveling down Wheatfield Road, I noticed a sports bar at the bottom, next to the car garage, what's it like? I noticed it has a big Hibs style St. Andrews cross on the entrance. :not worth

And; also, where are all you hibees, living in Gorgie, drinking? Recommendations please :aok:

You surely mean at the bottom of Westfield Road, it's a ******hole inhabited by erseholes stay well away.

25-10-2013, 01:03 PM
You surely mean at the bottom of Westfield Road, it's a ******hole inhabited by erseholes stay well away.

You are absolutely right it is Westfield Road! fixed :agree:

25-10-2013, 01:07 PM

However, after traveling down Wheatfield Road, I noticed a sports bar at the bottom, next to the car garage, what's it like? I noticed it has a big Hibs style St. Andrews cross on the entrance. :not worth

Caley Sample Rooms at Angle Park Terrace is a great boozer, used to live just along from it. Although sounds like you are the other side of Gorgie. I'm in Slateford, just off Robertson Avenue and still go to Caley sample Rooms if having a beer "locally".

25-10-2013, 01:22 PM

However, after traveling down Westfield Road, I noticed a sports bar at the bottom, next to the car garage, what's it like? I noticed it has a big Hibs style St. Andrews cross on the entrance. :not worth

Stay in Smithfield St. In my opinion the Caley is the only one worth bothering about.

Robertsons - Never anyone in and not surprised.
Station - Tries hard but beer is awful.
Tynie Arms - Can lay claim to be one of the cliquiest boozers anywhere.

25-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Greys Mill isnae bad, good mixture of Hibs/Hearts fans. Never been in recently immediately pre/post Jambo home games, but, have turned up for the final couple of pints on numerous occasions without any bother. Did get headbutted outside it about a year ago, but, that was down to me drunkenly noising up a Jambo on the bus who didnae seem to appreciate me telling him to STFU re 5-1! :-)

hibby rae
25-10-2013, 02:05 PM
The Diggers is a good pub. It's a Hearts pub but I grew up I that area so I've been going there for years so doesn't bother me. Just don't go in on match days!

25-10-2013, 02:08 PM

I assume (never assume) you mean the pub formerly known as The Last Furlong before it became the Westfield Bar? As the Westfield Bar it was run my my ex father in law (God rest his soul) and was a no bad wee boozer. No idea what it's like now but it looks like it's gone to pot from the outside.

25-10-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm in Smithfield Street. Strattys used to be good about 14 years ago when I lived here previously but looking for a good local.

25-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Caley Sample Room (Blue Lagoon) or the Golden Rule in Yeaman Place - bit further out but always a bit further away from the bams.....

25-10-2013, 02:18 PM
I assume (never assume) you mean the pub formerly known as The Last Furlong before it became the Westfield Bar? As the Westfield Bar it was run my my ex father in law (God rest his soul) and was a no bad wee boozer. No idea what it's like now but it looks like it's gone to pot from the outside.

I know a lot of folk that work there it's a decent boozer staff are nice the owner tries hard with entertainment unfortunately there are a few ********s about but youl get that most places, I drink in the Chesser if I'm staying local £2 a pint again a few idiots but decent when the footballs on as is the laich over the road

25-10-2013, 02:20 PM
I was in Smithfield street too, think the boozer your talking about is the murrayfield sports bar, stay out there as someone else said its no very great. Caley sample rooms and diggers are decent or slightly further on mcgowans at fountain park. Stay out straties dive of a bar, tynie arms robbos and bensons.

25-10-2013, 02:25 PM
The Bensons that was further up Dalry Road brings back some memories from about 25 years ago, quite scary that its that long ago now I think about it!

25-10-2013, 02:33 PM
i suggest just jumping on a bus and heading into town

25-10-2013, 02:33 PM
I used to live in Bryson Road and frequented the Blue Lagoon many years ago before I moved to Musselburgh in the early 90s. Does anyone know if 'Clanceys' is still around on Dundee Street or has that been demolished as part of the area refurb?

25-10-2013, 02:35 PM
I used to live in Bryson Road and frequented the Blue Lagoon many years ago before I moved to Musselburgh in the early 90s. Does anyone know if 'Clanceys' is still around on Dundee Street or has that been demolished as part of the area refurb?

Closed due to an ongoing groin strain

25-10-2013, 02:52 PM
move

25-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Closed due to an ongoing groin strain

:greengrin That made me laugh out loud, but just stopped short of spitting my coffee over my screen. Hutchy will be happy about that. :wink:

green glory
25-10-2013, 03:22 PM
All pubs in Gorgie area inhabited by maroon buffoons. Avoid.

Well it's always been my policy, and works for me.

25-10-2013, 03:50 PM
A bus to Footlights or The Chanter if you are looking for somewhere to watch live games is worth a shout too! Dont go to The Mill on a Tues for football viewing, the quiz attracts folk that take it way too seriously and theres nae sound on the tellies.

25-10-2013, 03:54 PM
:greengrin That made me laugh out loud, but just stopped short of spitting my coffee over my screen. Hutchy will be happy about that. :wink:

Apart from one or two "interesting" avatars on here I've yet to see anything on this site that justifies the ejaculation of liquids of any sort over valuable IT kit!

25-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Apart from one or two "interesting" avatars on here I've yet to see anything on this site that justifies the ejaculation of liquids of any sort over valuable IT kit!

http://nfs.stvfiles.com/imagebase/173/623x349/173805-hearts-manager-john-mcglynn-seems-unhappy-as-todays-game-is-postponed.jpg

25-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Each to their own I suppose!

patch1875
25-10-2013, 04:57 PM

Loved the old Westfield bar used to work in SMT in Westfield ave when I was a teenager.

26-10-2013, 11:38 AM

Murrayfield Sports Bar?

It's alright during the day for a few games of pool and some cheap food. Very dodgy at night.

26-10-2013, 03:05 PM
i suggest just jumping on a bus and heading into town

Beat me to it :-)

A 22 or 25 bus is only 22/25 minutes from the very Hibby Harp and Castle.

A 35 bus only about 35 minutes from Tamsons.

A 1 bus sorta spoils this post a wee bit. :-(

cal-d hibs
31-10-2013, 09:14 AM

Clancys was my local for a good few years, great wee bar with good mix of Hibbys and them, lock-ins and freedom to get awsay with most things as long as Ronnie or Kaye didnae catch ye:wink: