PDA

View Full Version : Eric Schaedler Book

Golden Bear
15-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Shortly to be released.

I expect the book will be a fitting tribute to a great football player and a true gentleman.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shades-Short-Tragic-Death-Schaedler/dp/1845025415

tamig
15-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Just pre-ordered it. One of my all time favourites - in both his spells.

Pedantic_Hibee
15-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Had my very first pint in Shades bar. True story.

hhibs
15-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Great footballer,hard as nails and a wonderful servant for the Club. Nice fella from my memories of the Wally Dug pub,such a sad end. GGTTH

Leithenhibby
15-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Such a nice Guy, and a book that will most definitely be in my collection......

He was such a footballing hero of mine, as my best position was also left back :wink:

Fife-Hibee
15-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Such a nice Guy, and a book that will most definitely be in my collection......

He was such a footballing hero of mine, as my best position was also left back :wink:

Left back in the changing room ! Lol

jodjam
15-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Fifty shades of tackles

southsider
15-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Once played up front for the Hibs in a game i was at. May have been at Muirton Park (Perth).

Stantons Angel
15-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Great footballer,hard as nails and a wonderful servant for the Club. Nice fella from my memories of the Wally Dug pub,such a sad end. GGTTH

So true one of the greatest Hibs players of my time.

I used to frequent the Wally Dug on a Saturday evening at that time too!

Some good nights there (if i can remember correctly)

This is a Hibs book i will be buying!

The_Exile
15-10-2013, 05:18 PM
My old boy would say he would pay the admission money alone to see "what poor sod is up against Shades this week", says it all really considering how many great players we had in the team in that era.

andy1875
15-10-2013, 05:23 PM
I do recall being with my Dad in Shades bar, if memory serves me correctly there was a tattoo shop next door. Now both the pub and tattoo shop are ground floor flats.

You'd never know either of them were there.

A book I fancy reading though, should be good.

Leithenhibby
15-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Left back in the changing room ! Lol

Aye, the old ones are the best they say.

I was going to put that in brackets haha

weonlywon6-2
15-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Was lucky to have met him.He owned an Alfa Romeo for a while and came into the garage in Edinburgh i worked in at the time
Good bloke,tragic ending

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Hard as nails on the park

Ah total gem of a guy off it

Can't wait to read the book, written by a good Hibby too :agree:

kaimendhibs
15-10-2013, 07:59 PM
A brilliant left back, hard as nails and a lovely man. Met him couple of times, was in shades around a week before the tragic day. Will defo buy this book.

Sent from my iphone

18/03/07
15-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Shades an Joe Unofski(spelling) also ran the Vickie bar in Leith walk,what a pair of jokers in the pub,always playing pranks on the punters,ran a great pub

Iggy Pope
15-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Shades an Joe Unofski(spelling) also ran the Vickie bar in Leith walk,what a pair of jokers in the pub,always playing pranks on the punters,ran a great pub

Ufnowski.

You are right, served my time drinking in the Vickie and loads of regulars flitted between there and the Football Arms when Erich took it on later. Great days.

IberianHibernian
15-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Great memories of him as a player and as a barman ( I remember him pulling pints in Victoria Bar in Leith Walk ) . Post about him playing upfront I always remember him playing left back but seem to remember reading he had been centre forward at Stirling A ( if so , good on Willie MacFarlane for signing him and making very successful position switch ) . Only goal I remember seeing him score was og at Tynie in first Derby after 7 v 0 but think he scored in a cup tie away against Partick Thistle soon after arriving and maybe in another game in his second spell with us . Still remember his long throws even though there wasn`t much room around pitch and we had no bulldozer forwards ( Alan Gordon and Jimmy O`R in attack ) . Think he left in swap for Bobby Hutchinson who tried hard in a declining Hibs team ( similar case to Jackie McNamara taking time to be accepted after swapping for Stanton perhaps ) . May have got it wrong , but wasn`t Schaedler signed by Willie MacFarlane ? If so one of several excellent signings ( Arthur Duncan and Johnny Graham too ) by a manager who signed good players and got great results ( wins at Ibrox and Parkhead within a few weeks ) who maybe deserves more recognition when historians talk about managers at our club .

Iggy Pope
15-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Great memories of him as a player and as a barman ( I remember him pulling pints in Victoria Bar in Leith Walk ) . Post about him playing upfront I always remember him playing left back but seem to remember reading he had been centre forward at Stirling A ( if so , good on Willie MacFarlane for signing him and making very successful position switch ) . Only goal I remember seeing him score was og at Tynie in first Derby after 7 v 0 but think he scored in a cup tie away against Partick Thistle soon after arriving and maybe in another game in his second spell with us . Still remember his long throws even though there wasn`t much room around pitch and we had no bulldozer forwards ( Alan Gordon and Jimmy O`R in attack ) . Think he left in swap for Bobby Hutchinson who tried hard in a declining Hibs team ( similar case to Jackie McNamara taking time to be accepted after swapping for Stanton perhaps ) . May have got it wrong , but wasn`t Schaedler signed by Willie MacFarlane ? If so one of several excellent signings ( Arthur Duncan and Johnny Graham too ) by a manager who signed good players and got great results ( wins at Ibrox and Parkhead within a few weeks ) who maybe deserves more recognition when historians talk about managers at our club .

Scored at Parkhead in the fog machine debacle rematch?

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Scored at Parkhead in the fog machine debacle rematch?

:agree:

Hiber-nation
15-10-2013, 09:33 PM
I remember Erich scoring a screamer in that game against San Jose Earthquakes.

IberianHibernian
15-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Scored at Parkhead in the fog machine debacle rematch?In the replay ? ( a 1 v 1 draw ) . I wasn`t at replay but was at first game when we were winning 2 v0 but can`t remember anything about either goal .

Iggy Pope
15-10-2013, 09:35 PM

I know.
Second spell I recall a raker against San Jose Earthquakes

Iggy Pope
15-10-2013, 09:36 PM
In the replay ? ( a 1 v 1 draw ) . I wasn`t at replay but was at first game when we were winning 2 v0 but can`t remember anything about either goal .

Definitely got our goal in the 1-1

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 09:41 PM
I remember Erich scoring a screamer in that game against San Jose Earthquakes.

In the replay ? ( a 1 v 1 draw ) . I wasn`t at replay but was at first game when we were winning 2 v0 but can`t remember anything about either goal .

I know.
Second spell I recall a raker against San Jose Earthquakes

That goal against SJE was a cracker from at least 30 yards :aok:

Edit: In the game fogged off when Hibs led 2-0, Bremner and lardass Harper were the scorers

CyberSauzee
15-10-2013, 09:45 PM

Edit: In the game fogged off when Hibs led 2-0, Bremner and lardass Harper were the scorers

My favourite ever Hibs player. And I remember that goal. 3-0 I think it finished. I miss him.

IberianHibernian
15-10-2013, 09:50 PM

Edit: In the game fogged off when Hibs led 2-0, Bremner and lardass Harper were the scorersDon`t remember Bremner scoring many except for a doublé at Tynecastle so should have remembered goal against Celtic . Was SJE game at ER with George Best playing for us ( or against us ) ? Seem to remember us winning 3 v1 but don`t remember goals ( remember SJE wearing brown shirts ) .

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Don`t remember Bremner scoring many except for a doublé at Tynecastle so should have remembered goal against Celtic . Was SJE game at ER with George Best playing for us ( or against us ) ? Seem to remember us winning 3 v1 but don`t remember goals ( remember SJE wearing brown shirts ) .

Monday 5th October 1981 Hibs 3 San Jose Earthquakes 1 Hibs scorers were Rodier 2 and of course Shades SJE scorer was Tony Crescitelli

Hibs had Robin Rae in goals

Bertie Auld was our manager at that time

Hiber-nation
15-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Monday 5th October 1981 Hibs 3 San Jose Earthquakes 1 Hibs scorers were Rodier 2 and of course Shades SJE scorer was Tony Crescitelli

:aok:

(apart from Bertie being our manager :wink:)

Iggy Pope
15-10-2013, 10:06 PM

Harsh.

Don`t remember Bremner scoring many except for a doublé at Tynecastle so should have remembered goal against Celtic . Was SJE game at ER with George Best playing for us ( or against us ) ? Seem to remember us winning 3 v1 but don`t remember goals ( remember SJE wearing brown shirts ) .

Got a 2nd lobbed peach in my first visit to Ibrox. 2-0 win. Gordon Rae got his first league goal as well. 78. Total carnage afterwards. Hide yer scerfffs!!!!!!

IberianHibernian
15-10-2013, 10:09 PM

Bertie Auld was our manager at that timeI was at game ( old South Stand ) but can`t remember if Best played for us or against us ( or even 45 minutes for each team ) . Rodier was a good striker for us but like fellow Edinburgh University player Colin Campbell joined Hibs at a time when we were in decline ( more so Rodier since Campbell joined before relegation and played in 79 final ) - remember Rodier scoring for us against Hearts in East of Sc Shield at a time when competition became important cause of relegation ( mainly Hearts ) of Edinburgh clubs .

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Harsh.

Got a 2nd lobbed peach in my first visit to Ibrox. 2-0 win. Gordon Rae got his first league goal as well. 78. Total carnage afterwards. Hide yer scerfffs!!!!!!

I guess. I'm like Doddie in that I never really liked Joe

Hiber-nation
15-10-2013, 10:15 PM
I was at game ( old South Stand ) but can`t remember if Best played for us or against us ( or even 45 minutes for each team ) . Rodier was a good striker for us but like fellow Edinburgh University player Colin Campbell joined Hibs at a time when we were in decline ( more so Rodier since Campbell joined before relegation and played in 79 final ) - remember Rodier scoring for us against Hearts in East of Sc Shield at a time when competition became important cause of relegation ( mainly Hearts ) of Edinburgh clubs .

Bestie played against us that night.

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 10:16 PM
I was at game ( old South Stand ) but can`t remember if Best played for us or against us ( or even 45 minutes for each team ) . Rodier was a good striker for us but like fellow Edinburgh University player Colin Campbell joined Hibs at a time when we were in decline ( more so Rodier since Campbell joined before relegation and played in 79 final ) - remember Rodier scoring for us against Hearts in East of Sc Shield at a time when competition became important cause of relegation ( mainly Hearts ) of Edinburgh clubs .

Best played the whole game for SJE. Even at that point in his career he brought out the fans. The gate for that game was roughly double that of the last home game against Dundee United

Iggy Pope
15-10-2013, 10:27 PM
I guess. I'm like Doddie in that I never really liked Joe

I know. Not a bad scoring record at all though.

Best played the whole game for SJE. Even at that point in his career he brought out the fans. The gate for that game was roughly double that of the last home game against Dundee United

How many was that? I was on the main terracing that night. Don't recall much of a crowd, but it was, by and large, a very ***** time.

PS
BACK ON TOPIC
Erich Schaedler. Perm toting judo nutcase of a left back with a German background and a big Alsatian dug and he would run through hertz as soon as look at them. Arguably our hardest and most effective defender of modern times and unarguably our best shy taker! Pulled pints. Loved the fans and loved the club. Genuine 100% nice fellah. Buy the book.

Miguel
15-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Always liked Eric's song, sung to The Beatles 'Hello Goodbye', iirc.

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 10:29 PM
I know. Not a bad scoring record at all though.

How many was that? I was on the main terracing that night. Don't recall much of a crowd, but it was, by and large, a very ***** time.

PS
BACK ON TOPIC
Erich Schaedler. Perm toting judo nutcase of a left back with a German background and a big Alsatian dug and he would run through hertz as soon as look at them. Arguably our hardest and most effective defender of modern times and unarguably our best shy taker! Pulled pints. Loved the fans and loved the club. Genuine 100% nice fellah. Buy the book.

United game was c5,000 and SJE game 9,500 if my sources are correct

PatHead
15-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Always remember his long throws. Probably the last time we were dangerous at throw ins.

Iggy Pope
15-10-2013, 10:38 PM
United game was c5,000 and SJE game 9,500 if my sources are correct

:wink:I am sure your sources are about as reliable as any you can find in this age.:wink:

Neither attendance is impressive though, and that's exactly how I remember it.

****ing loved Erich though.

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 10:39 PM
:wink:I am sure your sources are about as reliable as any you can find in this age.:wink:

Neither attendance is impressive though, and that's exactly how I remember it.

****ing loved Erich though.

Me too, big style :greengrin

Leithenhibby
15-10-2013, 10:40 PM

I had a photo of Eric's goal v SJE, but god only knows where it is now :( I did show it to Eric though :wink:
It was a stonker......

The game at Darkhead, think there was only 6 minutes to play......

Jonnyboy
15-10-2013, 10:43 PM
I had a photo of Eric's goal v SJE, but god only knows where it is now :( I did show it to Eric though :wink:
It was a stonker......

The game at Darkhead, think there was only 6 minutes to play......

:agree: And don't forget, if the Celtic fans hadn't invaded the pitch after our second goal the game would have been finished on time

Leithenhibby
15-10-2013, 10:49 PM
:agree: And don't forget, if the Celtic fans hadn't invaded the pitch after our second goal the game would have been finished on time

How can something that happened so long ago still "cut to the quick" ............

Iggy Pope
15-10-2013, 10:49 PM

Jock Steins Fog Machine

Nemesis.

JimBHibees
16-10-2013, 10:23 AM
How can something that happened so long ago still "cut to the quick" ............

Because it was a complete travesty. Celtic fans were always keen to invade the pitch around that time when they were losing. We were 2 up they invaded the game was delayed and the fog came in. Ironically I remember Eddie T being interviewed about 5pm and it was as clear as day. No need to abandon given the game had less than 10 to go. It should have been played on and finished or at worse delayed and given time to clear. No doubt Stein would have been in the refs ear to get it stopped.

Greendreamer
16-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Schaedlers old man was a POW and after the war lived in Perth, the Muirton area.

Can always remember my faither saying that Shades snr was a gent.

AinsterHibs
16-10-2013, 12:02 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/profile-erich-schaedler-hibernian-hero-1-1370998

Nice piece about Shades.

Lovely man, fearless.

Never forgotten.

Keith_M
16-10-2013, 02:20 PM
I'd forgotten about that game against SJE.

I was on the main terrace that day and it was so much busier than usual. Instead of the normal 20 square yards of terrace per punter, we only had about 10. That was considered a crush at ER in the early eighties :wink:

erin go bragh
16-10-2013, 02:32 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/profile-erich-schaedler-hibernian-hero-1-1370998

Nice piece about Shades.

Lovely man, fearless.

Never forgotten.
Thanks for that . One of a kind .
Looking forward to reading his book .

Ggtth

BSEJVT
16-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Have ordered book.

Still saddened after all these years by Erich's passing and the manner of it.

Utterly committed footballer, hard as nails and with more skill that many gave him credit for.

RIP Erich

GGTTH

southsider
17-10-2013, 02:47 PM

They invaded Hampden during the Dryburgh Cup final too, when we were 3-0 up. Was a regular thing for "the greatest support in the world".

JimBHibees
17-10-2013, 02:51 PM
They invaded Hampden during the Dryburgh Cup final too, when we were 3-0 up. Was a regular thing for "the greatest support in the world".

Also the League cup final when we were ahead surprise, surprise.

Golden Bear
17-10-2013, 04:27 PM

Drybrough or Dryburgh -that is the question?!

Their beer was mingin' but what a fantastic final that was!

:thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
17-10-2013, 07:43 PM

I know. Was the first time my Dad had heard me swear :greengrin When Celtic made it 3-3 I roared Jimmy blank blank Johnstone :greengrin

tamig
17-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Still remember him putting Bryan Robson up in the air in the friendly against Man U not long after Robson had joined them for a British record £1.5m or something similar.

Lucius Apuleius
18-10-2013, 09:18 AM

Can't say I ever remember seeing him play as a forward for the Binos. Full back many times. These were the days when I was a Hibby without the bus fare so Annfield was more my home than ER. Absolutely delighted when he signed for us as it also coincided with my paper round wages being raised to a price per customer as opposed to £1 a week. Tripled my wages so it did so allowed me to get through and start following Hibs properly. Loved him then and love him now. One of the greats without a doubt.

jdships
18-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Met Erich before he signed for Hibs and he immediatly became great friends with my wife , myself and family.
Never missed a Xmas present to my chldren and became an all time hero in our house !!!
A true gentleman in every sense of the word - stll greatly missed :flag:

Book will be on the shelf ASAP !!!!!!!!!!

happiehibbie
18-10-2013, 10:05 AM
such a nice guy, and a book that will most definitely be in my collection......

oh really !!!

Golden Bear
18-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Can't say I ever remember seeing him play as a forward for the Binos. Full back many times. These were the days when I was a Hibby without the bus fare so Annfield was more my home than ER. Absolutely delighted when he signed for us as it also coincided with my paper round wages being raised to a price per customer as opposed to £1 a week. Tripled my wages so it did so allowed me to get through and start following Hibs properly. Loved him then and love him now. One of the greats without a doubt.

Would you believe that Erich was a flying right winger back in his amateur football days!

Lucius Apuleius
18-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Would you believe that Erich was a flying right winger back in his amateur football days!

I can certainly believe it, just don't recall him ever being played as one by the Binos :greengrin

MM19
18-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Once played up front for the Hibs in a game i was at. May have been at Muirton Park (Perth).
I think it was against Dunfermline at East End Park and if I mind right Cushley was playing centre half for the Pars. Think it's one of the hardest games he's had

Jonnyboy
18-10-2013, 06:51 PM
I think it was against Dunfermline at East End Park and if I mind right Cushley was playing centre half for the Pars. Think it's one of the hardest games he's had

Yip. We drew 3-3 that day. Manager Dave Ewing played Erich at number nine to sort out Cushley. One tackle later, Cushley faded into obscurity :greengrin

Pretty Boy
18-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Too young to have seen him play but every time i hear him spoken about no one has a bad word to say.

And THAT tackle in the lead up to the 7th. That's what playing for Hibs should be all about.

Book will be a definite addition to the collection.

Galahibby
19-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Met Erich before he signed for Hibs and he immediatly became great friends with my wife , myself and family.
Never missed a Xmas present to my chldren and became an all time hero in our house !!!
A true gentleman in every sense of the word - stll greatly missed :flag:

Book will be on the shelf ASAP !!!!!!!!!!

I remember meeting Erich while visiting my uncle as a young kid, wish I'd been a few years older and realised who he was at the time! Same uncle lived just up the road from Laurie Reilly's pub and we used to get sent down for crisps and juice. Same deal there, he was just the nice man from the pub, had no idea what a legend he was. My point with this reply is that I often read your posts and wonder if you knew my uncle as you seem have been around at the same time and place? His name was Jimmy Cormack.

Col L
21-10-2013, 11:55 AM

It's the author of the book here...

Glad the idea of the book is going down so well with you. All the stories you have mentioned and plenty more besides have been included in what I hope is a fitting tribute to the late, great Shades.

One small mistake to 'fess up to ahead of publication (getting my excuses in early and I do sincerely apologise). Book says Hibs and San Jose was a 3-3 draw, which clearly from the comments on here it wasn't. The programme I had from the game, had 3-3 written scrawled on the front page and again on the centre pages and I took it at face value. Maybe it was Besty himself who owned the programme and throught they had managed a draw! Sorry folks, a numpty moment, and I hope the rest of the book will more than make up for it. I've seen the advance copy and it should be generally available this week.

FranckSuzy
21-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Glad the idea of the book is going down so well with you. All the stories you have mentioned and plenty more besides have been included in what I hope is a fitting tribute to the late, great Shades.

One small mistake to 'fess up to ahead of publication (getting my excuses in early and I do sincerely apologise). Book says Hibs and San Jose was a 3-3 draw, which clearly from the comments on here it wasn't. The programme I had from the game, had 3-3 written scrawled on the front page and again on the centre pages and I took it at face value. Maybe it was Besty himself who owned the programme and throught they had managed a draw! Sorry folks, a numpty moment, and I hope the rest of the book will more than make up for it. I've seen the advance copy and it should be generally available this week.

:greengrin Good luck with it all :aok:

jodjam
21-10-2013, 07:14 PM

I've got last two scottish cup final programmes. If I write 4-0 hibs on them can you write another couple of books please :)

All the best with the book. Will def be getting a copy

Jonnyboy
21-10-2013, 08:34 PM

I'll let you off this time :greengrin

Really looking forward to reading it C :agree:

Golden Bear
31-10-2013, 05:19 PM
A copy of Erich's book popped through my letter box this morning.

I've browsed through the first couple of chapters and it's a fascinating read without losing focus of the tragic circumstances surrounding his death.