PDA

View Full Version : Our first goal

PatHead
22-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Saw it again on SSN this morning and thought that was obviously from the training ground. The reactions of the players after the goal when they were congratulating Nelson as much as Collins seems to back this up. Good to see things they are obviously working on come good. Long may it continue.

Jonnyboy
22-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Saw it again on SSN this morning and thought that was obviously from the training ground. The reactions of the players after the goal when they were congratulating Nelson as much as Collins seems to back this up. Good to see things they are obviously working on come good. Long may it continue.

Think you're spot on K :agree:

Earlier this season we tried the high ball to Nelson so he could head it back into the danger area. Didn't work but perseverance seems to have paid of :thumbsup:

TheFamous1875
22-09-2013, 09:07 PM
It's an amazing thought, that we've lost one of the best strikers Hibs have ever had (in my lifetime anyway, I'd love to know my club were once that great that this actually isn't the case) yet we seem a better team. Last season we were carried by Sparky, I don't know if that was because of the way we were set up, as we had a good (but not as good) squad last year too, but it really is a welcomed feeling that we don't have one hero carrying the rest. It feels like we have a team back.
I've not left Easter Road feeling the way I did yesterday since about 09/10, when Yogi's team were tearing it up (a young David Wotherspoon shone as the future) and I have to say I've missed that feeling my club used to give me most times I left the stadium.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Northernhibee
22-09-2013, 09:12 PM
I think that James Collins is going to be a hugely important player for us - having Heffernan, Craig, Robertson, Zoubir and Taiwo around him is going to create chances and a lot of goals.

Since we've gotten more options going forward he's started to look worth whatever we paid for him (not £200k)

GraniteCityHibs
22-09-2013, 09:48 PM

Bang on, I'd say! Collins was making a very definite run into the path of knock down, it didn't just fall to him by accident.

Delighted to see things like that coming off.

PatHead
22-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Wonder how close Collins and Heffernan will get to Leigh's (and anyone else who played up front) total from last year. Seem to be getting an understanding going.

Andy74
22-09-2013, 09:51 PM
It's an amazing thought, that we've lost one of the best strikers Hibs have ever had (in my lifetime anyway, I'd love to know my club were once that great that this actually isn't the case) yet we seem a better team. Last season we were carried by Sparky, I don't know if that was because of the way we were set up, as we had a good (but not as good) squad last year too, but it really is a welcomed feeling that we don't have one hero carrying the rest. It feels like we have a team back.
I've not left Easter Road feeling the way I did yesterday since about 09/10, when Yogi's team were tearing it up (a young David Wotherspoon shone as the future) and I have to say I've missed that feeling my club used to give me most times I left the stadium.

Said at the time with Griffiths that having him meant that it was very difficult for our midfield and other attacking players to get involved.

There were 6 teams above last year, 5 of them didn't have strikers close to Leigh's standard.

I think we have a very good balance now and different options to play different ways when needed.

I would say thought that I thought we played the same sort of way at the start of last year as we did yesterday. That soon got forgotten about.

TheFamous1875
22-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Said at the time with Griffiths that having him meant that it was very difficult for our midfield and other attacking players to get involved.

There were 6 teams above last year, 5 of them didn't have strikers close to Leigh's standard.

I think we have a very good balance now and different options to play different ways when needed.

I would say thought that I thought we played the same sort of way at the start of last year as we did yesterday. That soon got forgotten about.

Tbf, I missed the first half of last season due to work! My first match was Motherwell 2-3!

PatHead
22-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Tbf, I missed the first half of last season due to work! My first match was Motherwell 2-3!

So you are the jinx!

TheFamous1875
22-09-2013, 10:36 PM
So you are the jinx!

I thought it was me too until yesterday! :greengrin

Purehibee_MYB
22-09-2013, 11:57 PM
I agree it must have been off the training ground. Would like them to work on some sort of corner routine though as I don't remember the last time we scored from a corner!

kentao
23-09-2013, 04:50 AM
Griffiths from a corner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT6JLztLt1g

weonlywon6-2
23-09-2013, 05:32 AM
Wonder how close Collins and Heffernan will get to Leigh's (and anyone else who played up front) total from last year. Seem to be getting an understanding going.

The good thing is the more they play the better they will get

happiehibbie
23-09-2013, 07:30 AM
The thing is we now have a striker who can hold the ball up and bring players into the game ,

Both goals for me where good , we should have had more tho,

I was impressed by Maybury and Stevenson ,i am not a fan of them but credit where its due
Hanlon also played well!

this is the best i have seen them play in ages hopfully it continues

We have the best squad in years and some great individual players I just hope we can make a TEAM

Hibbyradge
23-09-2013, 07:36 AM
The thing is we now have a striker who can hold the ball up and bring players into the game ,

Both goals for me where good , we should have had more tho,

I was impressed by Maybury and Stevenson ,i am not a fan of them but credit where its due
Hanlon also played well!

this is the best i have seen them play in ages hopfully it continues

We have the best squad in years and some great individual players I just hope we can make a TEAM

:thumbsup:

:wink:

hfc rd
23-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Both goals were great. Like the OP said, the first looked like a well worked training ground free-kick move which resulted in our opening goal. The players looked so happy that it was executed perfectly as I'm sure they were working on it at the training ground.

The second was just simply a great pass and move goal. Maybury timing that run perfectly and playing a nice cushion pass across the six yard box for Heffernan to tuck it away.