PDA

View Full Version : Cuba

CB_NO3
05-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Anyone been to Cuba? Fancy going next year. Going to do a bit travelling and take in Argentina too. Fancy staying in Havana and travel round the island.

Any tips and info would be grateful.

hibsbollah
05-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Havana is fantastic, give yourself at least three days.
Trinidad a must see colonial town. My favourite part of the trip.
Pinar del Rio in the north totally unspoilt. Santiago de Cuba and the mountains in the south is supposed to be beautiful but I never made it down there.

The main thing is to avoid the touristy areas near the resorts like Varadero unless thats what you want (and if so youre better off in Majorca or the Algarve).
Oh and the roads are a nightmare :greengrin

CB_NO3
05-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Havana is fantastic, give yourself at least three days.
Trinidad a must see colonial town. My favourite part of the trip.
Pinar del Rio in the north totally unspoilt. Santiago de Cuba and the mountains in the south is supposed to be beautiful but I never made it down there.

The main thing is to avoid the touristy areas near the resorts like Varadero unless thats what you want (and if so youre better off in Majorca or the Algarve).
Oh and the roads are a nightmare :greengrin
Nice one. How did you get about? Public bus? Are taxis cheap? Did you do any organised tours, or did you do your own thing?

Sorry for all the questions, just need as much tips as possible.

hibsbollah
07-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Nice one. How did you get about? Public bus? Are taxis cheap? Did you do any organised tours, or did you do your own thing?

Sorry for all the questions, just need as much tips as possible.

I stayed in a hotel in Havana for a week and just walked everywhere. Taxis are about the same as here, which in Cuban terms is really expensive. Stayed in all inclusive beach resort in Varadero for the second week, which isnt really my thing, but it meant I got to go on organised bus trips around the country, which was fantastic for seeing a lot in a short time. If I was doing it again id be a bit braver and take public busses with the ordinary Cubans and do some independent travelling. Especially if you speak Spanish (I didnt) this is the way to do it.

Its a third world country, the infrastructures crumbling and theres a lot of poverty, but its well worth it :aok:

CB_NO3
09-09-2013, 03:21 PM
I stayed in a hotel in Havana for a week and just walked everywhere. Taxis are about the same as here, which in Cuban terms is really expensive. Stayed in all inclusive beach resort in Varadero for the second week, which isnt really my thing, but it meant I got to go on organised bus trips around the country, which was fantastic for seeing a lot in a short time. If I was doing it again id be a bit braver and take public busses with the ordinary Cubans and do some independent travelling. Especially if you speak Spanish (I didnt) this is the way to do it.

Its a third world country, the infrastructures crumbling and theres a lot of poverty, but its well worth it :aok:
Cheers mate. If I have more questions, ill fire away. In saying that, there is one very important piece of info you have missed. Much roughly is a beer?

hibsbollah
09-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Cheers mate. If I have more questions, ill fire away. In saying that, there is one very important piece of info you have missed. Much roughly is a beer?

Beer?

In Cuba, you have to drink rum, man :smokin

About £1 I think, depending on where you go and how much of a tourist you look. Much cheaper than here anyway :agree: