PDA

View Full Version : NHC Police unable to "hold back" supporters after a game anymore?

BigKev
06-08-2013, 05:23 PM
According to the Rotherham (http://www.themillers.co.uk/news/article/important-supporter-message-2-971992.aspx#Ez3wEbAXwUhAdhd0.99) website Police can no longer enforce the holding back of supporters as it's against their human rights?

Due to recent changes to human rights legislation over the past few years it is no longer possible to ‘hold back’ any particular group of supporters.

bigwheel
06-08-2013, 05:28 PM
It's funny how it's normally when we get beat that getting kept in is a pain ! It's usually a whole lot of fun if we've won !

wookie70
06-08-2013, 05:32 PM
About time, football has changed alot since those tactics were started. I wonder if this will apply to kettling protesters too. They will have to be content with charging about on horses knocking over innocent bystanders!

Billy Whizz
06-08-2013, 05:33 PM
It's funny how it's normally when we get beat that getting kept in is a pain ! It's usually a whole lot of fun if we've won !

I agree, when we win on Sunday they can lock us in for 1/2 hour or so

Keith_M
06-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Do the police still use that funny device attached to the back of a van they introduced a few years back? It had metal 'wings' that opened up and blocked the street. I remember seeing it being used in Albion Place.

snooky
06-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Do the police still use that funny device attached to the back of a van they introduced a few years back? It had metal 'wings' that opened up and blocked the street. I remember seeing it being used in Albion Place.

That was Garry's Ferrari, mate.

Keith_M
06-08-2013, 06:22 PM
That was Garry's Ferrari, mate.

:greengrin

weonlywon6-2
06-08-2013, 06:35 PM
According to the Rotherham (http://www.themillers.co.uk/news/article/important-supporter-message-2-971992.aspx#Ez3wEbAXwUhAdhd0.99) website Police can no longer enforce the holding back of supporters as it's against their human rights?

Its a safety issue i would have said,heehaw to do with human rights.

Some dafty must have complained down there,blinkin human rights folk need there heads looked at

macca70
06-08-2013, 08:03 PM
They don't 'lock us in' though, just close 1 street (Albion place) for half an hour max. Folk still have the choice to go down Hawkhill avenue then up Easter Road that way so I doubt they are doing anything wrong.

Locking folk in a stadium though, like what happens when we go to Ibrox probably is against human rights, its probably that kind of treatment that is being stopped.

Hibercelona
06-08-2013, 08:13 PM
They don't 'lock us in' though, just close 1 street (Albion place) for half an hour max. Folk still have the choice to go down Hawkhill avenue then up Easter Road that way so I doubt they are doing anything wrong.

Locking folk in a stadium though, like what happens when we go to Ibrox probably is against human rights, its probably that kind of treatment that is being stopped.

Fans are locked in for their own safety at greyskill. With all the pastings we gave Rangers RIP over the years, it probably wasn't such a bad thing.

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Would this apply in Scotland? I think it's a devolved matter.

Sir David Gray
06-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Fans are locked in for their own safety at greyskill. With all the pastings we gave Rangers RIP over the years, it probably wasn't such a bad thing.

:agree: I was quite happy to stay behind at Ibrox on the few occasions that I've been through there.

This human rights stuff is seriously getting out of hand.

Phil D. Rolls
07-08-2013, 06:19 AM
Be nice if we could get some more information about this. So far, all we have is half a story.

So many of these "PC gone mad" stories have no foundation.

dangermouse
07-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Time Sidney wrote a letter :greengrin

jodjam
07-08-2013, 06:53 AM
Anyone else notice the lack of police on Sunday at ER. Even when the flare went off it was only stewards dealing with it.

Is this a new policy for cat b matches ?

Aldo
07-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Anyone else notice the lack of police on Sunday at ER. Even when the flare went off it was only stewards dealing with it.

Is this a new policy for cat b matches ?

All across Scotland you will find less and less police unless its a Cat A game. Not many police inside, letting the stewards take care of things (something's anyway).

Costs a helluva lot of money for cops these days so clubs are cutting back.

Tbh unless its agains OF or Yams there is no real potential for any bother.

jonny
07-08-2013, 07:40 AM
The metal thing with the wings is a steel barrier that folds up into a trailer known as the Iron Horse. The police have 2 or 3 of them and they are used to help separate 2 factions in public order events. They have been deployed at football in the past but some loose barriers with a couple of cops at either end is usually sufficient.
Sunday was the first premier league game in Scotland to have no police inside the stadium. Everything from security to traffic direction was carried out by G4S. There was a police public order unit of 7 cops in the area on standby incase something kicked off that G4S couldn't handle or someone needed lifted but they would only have come into the ground if absolutely necessary.
There will still be police at higher category games but don't expect to see any in the ground for B games unless there is specific intelligence about away "risk supporters" travelling.

Frazerbob
07-08-2013, 08:29 AM
The metal thing with the wings is a steel barrier that folds up into a trailer known as the Iron Horse. The police have 2 or 3 of them and they are used to help separate 2 factions in public order events. They have been deployed at football in the past but some loose barriers with a couple of cops at either end is usually sufficient.
Sunday was the first premier league game in Scotland to have no police inside the stadium. Everything from security to traffic direction was carried out by G4S. There was a police public order unit of 7 cops in the area on standby incase something kicked off that G4S couldn't handle or someone needed lifted but they would only have come into the ground if absolutely necessary.
There will still be police at higher category games but don't expect to see any in the ground for B games unless there is specific intelligence about away "risk supporters" travelling.

Aberdeen v Dunfermline on a Friday night a couple of seasons ago was the first "no police" game. Can't remember if it was an SPL game or not though.

VivaHiberņa
07-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Aberdeen v Dunfermline on a Friday night a couple of seasons ago was the first "no police" game. Can't remember if it was an SPL game or not though.

I thought it was Scotland vs Estonia at Pittodrie in February. The SFA made a big song and dance of it.

jonny
07-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Don't know anything about the Aberdeen Dunfermline game but the Scotland V Estonia game didn't have any police - a first for a Scotland game.
I had certainly been informed that the Hibs V Motherwell game was the first Scottish Premier League game without any police in the stadium. I don't have stats to confirm this but the info came from a senior police officer so I'd be surprised if it was wrong.
Anyhow, that's going to be the way of things for the future. It's much less costly for the clubs, in real terms they can have 3 G4S security guards for the price of 1 cop and leaves less of a strain on police resources because regardless of what is said the guys working the football are guys that are on shift anyway and are abstracted from their regular duties - not folk out on OT.

Baldy
07-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Sunday was the first premier league game in Scotland to have no police inside the stadium. Everything from security to traffic direction was carried out by G4S..

G4S can not stop vehicles using the road, they have no legal powers outside the stadium itself

Aldo
07-08-2013, 02:38 PM
G4S can not stop vehicles using the road, they have no legal powers outside the stadium itself

Correct. As I previously mentioned only police officers and traffic wardens in uniform can direct traffic

down-the-slope
07-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Correct. As I previously mentioned only police officers and traffic wardens in uniform can direct traffic

Mother in Laws :confused:

Aldo
07-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Mother in Laws :confused:

????????

jonny
08-08-2013, 03:37 AM

If you were there on Sunday you may have noticed they were doing exactly that. I think it comes under the confines of a designated sporting event and therefore they are able to direct the traffic within a certain distance of the stadium between the times of the event which officially covers 2 hours before and 1 hour after. I'm by no means an expert on such matters but I canassure you that it was G4S that were conducting the traffic measures on Sunday.

Lifted from the council's website:
Traffic control and signing at events
The public have no lawful powers to direct traffic at planned events. However, Police Scotland operate a scheme whereby event promoters may obtain accreditation for staff to direct traffic for events. Accredited staff can then direct traffic on the public highway in strict accordance with the traffic management plan for that event.

Directing or control of traffic can also be achieved by the use of signs and most events will require signing of some sort, either to advise traffic of closures and diversion routes, changes to road circumstances or to help in minimising traffic disruption.

WellingtonHibby
08-08-2013, 04:00 AM
I thought it was Scotland vs Estonia at Pittodrie in February. The SFA made a big song and dance of it.

Probably because it was also a "no fans" game too

Cabbage East
08-08-2013, 04:52 AM
Don't know anything about the Aberdeen Dunfermline game but the Scotland V Estonia game didn't have any police - a first for a Scotland game.
I had certainly been informed that the Hibs V Motherwell game was the first Scottish Premier League game without any police in the stadium. I don't have stats to confirm this but the info came from a senior police officer so I'd be surprised if it was wrong.
Anyhow, that's going to be the way of things for the future. It's much less costly for the clubs, in real terms they can have 3 G4S security guards for the price of 1 cop and leaves less of a strain on police resources because regardless of what is said the guys working the football are guys that are on shift anyway and are abstracted from their regular duties - not folk out on OT.

So why the hell are clubs getting hit with huge policing bills then? :confused:

Aldo
08-08-2013, 06:22 AM
If you were there on Sunday you may have noticed they were doing exactly that. I think it comes under the confines of a designated sporting event and therefore they are able to direct the traffic within a certain distance of the stadium between the times of the event which officially covers 2 hours before and 1 hour after. I'm by no means an expert on such matters but I canassure you that it was G4S that were conducting the traffic measures on Sunday.

Lifted from the council's website:
Traffic control and signing at events
The public have no lawful powers to direct traffic at planned events. However, Police Scotland operate a scheme whereby event promoters may obtain accreditation for staff to direct traffic for events. Accredited staff can then direct traffic on the public highway in strict accordance with the traffic management plan for that event.

Directing or control of traffic can also be achieved by the use of signs and most events will require signing of some sort, either to advise traffic of closures and diversion routes, changes to road circumstances or to help in minimising traffic disruption.

I find this hard to believe tbh. Most folk would ignore a security officer tbh and anywhere near the ground would be subject to a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order and the roads are usually closed 5 minus before and up to half an hour after, usually directly outside the ground. (But usually as you stated above)

G4S or Rocksteady or however are not permitted to undertake Traffic control duties.... It's a about insurance safety etc... They will not have the proper training etc.

In all my time (and to this day) cops or traffic wardens in uniform carry out traffic duties no one else.

Imagine someone was hurt because of their mistake??? Are the council going to cough up..... No. The blame lies with the power crazy steward with the yellow jacket on.

Frazerbob
08-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Probably because it was also a "no fans" game too

Very nearly sold out that night. :wink:

Frazerbob
08-08-2013, 11:07 AM

You're correct, that was another "no polis" game and the first Scotland game. The Aberdeen v Dunfermline game a year or so before was definitely the first senior club game but as I said, I can't recall if it was an SPL or Scottish Cup match so the game at the weekend may well have been the first SPL game.

Aldo
08-08-2013, 11:16 AM
You're correct, that was another "no polis" game and the first Scotland game. The Aberdeen v Dunfermline game a year or so before was definitely the first senior club game but as I said, I can't recall if it was an SPL or Scottish Cup match so the game at the weekend may well have been the first SPL game.

No police in the ground but there were a limited number outside to deal with any traffic congestion.