PDA

View Full Version : How far do you go back with Hibs?

Speedy
30-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Would be interesting to hear who the oldest player is that anyone can remember seeing.

For me it's the Gottskalkson, Rougier, Charnley, Hartley era.

I can remember Leighton, Wright, Weir being Hibs players (and can remember having their stickers on my wall) but can't remember seeing them play.

mim
30-07-2013, 07:46 PM
The Famous Five et al

Carheenlea
Ally Macleod was my first favourite player as a kid getting taken along to Easter Road. Missed the Tornadoes by a couple of years unfortunately!

eastterrace
i remember neil martin , jim scott (my favourite player at the time) , wish we could get something simular now.

wazoo1875
1979 was when my dad started taking me. Not a great era for Hibs but at least I got to see George Best :-)
Jackie Mac was my hero tho

Billy Whizz
30-07-2013, 07:51 PM
1979 was when my dad started taking me. Not a great era for Hibs but at least I got to see George Best :-)

Remember the song
" We all agree, McNamara is magic"

wazoo1875
30-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Remember the song
" We all agree, McNamara is magic"

Yeah, I also remember a later version about Souness and Terry Butcher ;^)

Hibs07p
30-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Wullie Wilson and Thomson Allan, both goalkeepers. My first "big" game at ER I was around 9 or 10, with a group of pals climbed over at the gates at the cowshed about 3 hours before kick off. I said I was going to support the team that won. Hibs beat Partick 7 or 8 nothing so it was around 1968.

GGTTH

pontius pilate
30-07-2013, 08:00 PM
My earliest memories I was about 11 away to Utd season 85/86 hunter tortolano Collins weir my dads mate got a burst nose and a wee rumble ensued

Richibee
30-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Wullie Wilson and Thomson Allan, both goalkeepers. My first "big" game at ER I was around 9 or 10, with a group of pals climbed over at the gates at the cowshed about 3 hours before kick off. I said I was going to support the team that won. Hibs beat Partick 7 or 8 nothing so it was around 1968.

GGTTH

Same era for me. Oldest players in the team around that time would be likes of Pat Quinn and Allan McGraw.

jdships
30-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Would be interesting to hear who the oldest player is that anyone can remember seeing.

I can remember Leighton, Wright, Weir being Hibs players (and can remember having their stickers on my wall) but can't remember seeing them play.

Was taken to my first game at ER in December 1940 , age 8, by my uncle who had played for the Hibs and the goalkeeper , Jimmy Kerr, was my then hero :thumbsup:
He was 31 years old and went on to be the first g/k when the "Famous Five " were playing .
Got his autograph that day :flag:

lord bunberry
30-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Alan rough was playing in my first game

LongshanksED
30-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Alan rough was playing in my first game

Mine too. Can't really remember the year or season but would've been between august 1986 and June 1988 ish. Was a midweek evening game and we drew 2-2. Was part of a schools scheme where kids got to "wish" what they always wanted and then take part (sounds very jimmy saville ish now when I look back). I wanted to be a ball boy but I imagine they were inundated with similar so Hibs arranged for about 20 kids to take a tour, go out in he pitch and kick a ball about in the centre circle and visit the team afterwards. Had totally forgot I had been on the ER pitch until this thread came up.

Might be wrong but I remember that I was definitely sitting in the old west stand upper, in the block that was next to the south stand and Dundee Utd fans were also in the block we was sat in. Anyone have any vague recollection of this game?

Mr White
30-07-2013, 08:24 PM
first game was a nil nil at easter road against aberdeen 87/88, Gordon Rae would have been the longest serving player then I suppose.

Pretty Boy
30-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Don't remember my first game but would have been very late 80s/early 90s.

First game I really remember was the Rangers Skol Cup semi final.

Also remember being both excited and confused by the Anderlecht game because there was Hibs fans in the 'away' end.

Hibs07p
30-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Same era for me. Oldest players in the team around that time would be likes of Pat Quinn and Allan McGraw.

You aint seen nothing like the mighty Quinn. :thumbsup:
To be honest I remember the song more than the player.

iwasthere1972
30-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Allan, Duncan, Davis, Stanton, Madsen,, McGraw, Scott, Quinn, Stein, Cormack, Stevenson

YehButNoBut
30-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Earliest memories for me where my dad taking me to see Hibs, can't remember the opposition but the 2 players who seem to have stuck in my memory were Eric Stevenson & Pat Quinn.

Can remember the Mighty Quinn song being sung for Pat, or am I making that up, I hope not. :greengrin

HibeeSince85
30-07-2013, 08:36 PM
First game would have been 1990 I think. It was either Motherwell or Dundee at ER.

Became a regular going with family during the 1st Division and then a ST holder 0/1.

What a way to spend ones free time. Must need our heads checked.

Orders player? Leighton probably.

YehButNoBut
30-07-2013, 08:37 PM
You aint seen nothing like the mighty Quinn. :thumbsup:
To be honest I remember the song more than the player.

So I wasn't making that song up, thank god my memory isn't too bad. :thumbsup:

Leithenhibby
30-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Joe Baker on his return to ER

Also recall Thomson Allan in a reserve game v the Old Huns, think we won 3-2 and invaded the pitch at the end........ :greengrin

Just can't remember what came first though :rolleyes:

lochhibs
30-07-2013, 08:45 PM
my 1st away game was at tannadice.stuart turnbull scored wi a diving header in a 1-0 hibs win.i remember mcnamara,sneddon and benny brazil mostly from those days.

Hiber-nation
30-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Allan, Duncan, Davis, Stanton, Madsen,, McGraw, Scott, Quinn, Stein, Cormack, Stevenson

:agree:

Me too. Or maybe Alan Cousin at no 6. This might have been my first game, can't really remember http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=13952

eastterrace
30-07-2013, 08:48 PM

real football players no like the mince we get now/

Alfred E Newman
30-07-2013, 08:48 PM

Those were the days! How lucky we were and the Turnbull era was still to come.

rcarter1
30-07-2013, 08:49 PM
first game was a nil nil at easter road against aberdeen 87/88, Gordon Rae would have been the longest serving player then I suppose.

Same season, December 26th, 0-0 with St Mirren. Cant remember who played then, but I remember a few weeks later Gareth Evans scoring a diving header for his debut goal, and Tortolano scoring a devilish freekick. Micky Weir :scarf:, Steve Archiebald :not worth, Andy Goram :crazy: and Gordon Hunter :yw: were my fave's..

Tom Hart RIP
30-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Snap. October 1967. Beat Dunfermline 2-0 at Easter Road

Tom Hart RIP
30-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Saw John Charles in a testimonial match in Leeds

iwasthere1972
30-07-2013, 08:55 PM
real football players no like the mince we get now/

Those were the days! How lucky we were and the Turnbull era was still to come.

It's great how I can remember the team that played for Hibs 46 years ago but for some reason I couldn't even have a go at naming any team recently and that includes last week. The days when we were entertained every week and Scotland had as many good players as England. In fact I do believe we may have beaten them 3-2 that year. Nah I must be imagining that. After all they were the World Champions.

iwasthere1972
30-07-2013, 08:59 PM

Was that the game when Peter Cormack scored from the half way line shooting towards the cowshed? If it was then I was on the east terracing.

MyJo
30-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Earliest memories are late 80's early 90's. Mickey Weir was my favourite player :thumbsup:

Roxyhibee
First game was night game sometime 1963/64 at Dunbar end. Goalie Willie Wilson took a kick in the head first half and had to go off leaving us with 10 men (no subs in those days). Outfield player had to take the gloves (discovered years later it was Peter Cormack.)

Remember Wilson coming back on second half and being allowed to play outfield with large white bandage on his head and my dad and uncles laughing. Also remember dazzling white sleeves and being hooked on the Hibees at 4 year old. We won one nil and rarely missed a game since then.

Players around that time I remember - Neil Martin, Eric Stevenson, Jim Scott and Pat Quinn (had a rosette with his face in the middle which I wore that whole first season and possibly the next..)

Yes, sang 'The Mighty Quinn' too in those days and delighted to discover many years later i was singing a song at that age written by Mr Zimmerman.!

GGTTH

Www1875hfc
Early 70s for me.

Heriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black Blacley Edwards O'Rourke Gordon Cropley Duncan

Shades was my favourite player.

weonlywon6-2
30-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Was taken to my first game at ER in December 1940 , age 8, by my uncle who had played for the Hibs and the goalkeeper , Jimmy Kerr, was my then hero :thumbsup:
He was 31 years old and went on to be the first g/k when the "Famous Five " were playing .

Ok,you win !!!

Drem
30-07-2013, 09:05 PM
70-71. Bertie Auld and The building of The Tornadoes.

eastterrace
30-07-2013, 09:08 PM

was this the game peter cormack scored from half way line when the goalie ( bent martin i think ) cleared the ball from just outside his penalty area and cormack trapped the ball and smacked it into the top corner, way before beckham was even thought of.

surreyhibbie
30-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Pre season friendly against Newcastle United around 1969. Don't remember who was playing for us without looking it up, but remember being amazed at the size of the place, and the huge crowd.....

Hooked from that day. :thumbsup:

eastterrace
30-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Pre season friendly against Newcastle United around 1969. Don't remember who was playing for us without looking it up, but remember being amazed at the size of the place, and the huge crowd.....

Hooked from that day. :thumbsup:

yes was at the game , sure we lost 2=1 but mind it was a big crowd, we usually just played one maybe two friendlies back then, no like now play about 5 or six. it was usually against top english side as well

Allant1981
30-07-2013, 09:18 PM
My first hibs game was 0-0 up in aberdeen. Think it was 1995? Jim leighton was playing. My old man is a hearts fan so took my to tynecastle but luckily my mums side were/are hibs fans

iwasthere1972
30-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Was that the game when Peter Cormack scored from the half way line shooting towards the cowshed? If it was then I was on the east terracing.

was this the game peter cormack scored from half way line when the goalie ( bent martin i think ) cleared the ball from just outside his penalty area and cormack trapped the ball and smacked it into the top corner, way before beckham was even thought of.

Must be. We can't both be wrong.

jdships
30-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Ok,you win !!!

:hibees
thankyou !!!!

It's been a long hard 73 years I can tell you but would never have changed it for the world - memories and more memories !! :top marks
:flag:

Sanger
30-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Me too! What memories!

degenerated
30-07-2013, 09:31 PM
I started going around 1979 though only a few games that the older guys next door took me too to see George best play. Started going with my mates a couple of years later, probably 1981/82 season and Gary Murray and Craig Paterson were my favourite players. Stuart turnbull was quite clearly, even to the unqualified eye of a 10 or 11 year old, absolutely rank rotten.

Sanger
30-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Me too! What memories!
3-1 loss at home to Gers in League cup 1971?

Newcastlehibby
30-07-2013, 09:47 PM
I am sitting looking at a programme from 3 Dec 1966, my earliest though I started going in 64/65. Team is
Allan, Duncan Davis, Stanton , McNamee and Cousin. Scott, O'Rourke, Stein, Cormack and Stevenson.
We won 6-0.
We started the season beating Hearts 3-1, Dunfermline 6-5 away and then Partick 7-0 and Motherwell 2-1 before losing 3-5 toCeltic at home.
By the time we played Stirling, we were 9th (out of 18) and had 11 pts from 12 games with 31 goals scored and 28 conceded. Only 4 teams had conceded more goals but only Celtic and Rangers had scored more.
it was a rollercoaster in those days and that line up was close to the one that beat Napoli 5-0.

MagicSwirlingShip
30-07-2013, 09:47 PM
My earliest memory was waiting in the old East terracing for the team coming back with the Skol Cup - and not quite understanding who these men in suits were with the trophy(s)?! (Being only 3 I thought Hibs players walked about in their strips even when they weren't playing)...

As my Dad ran an amatuer Team on a Saturday - I was always at the Leith Vics games with him, my first game wasn't until a pre-season friendly around 1994/5 against Sheffield Wednesday. I think we won 4-2. Can't remember any of the goals, only that I found it strange there was no commentator in the Stadium.

Favourite players were Darren Jackson & Gordon Hunter back then.

Tom Hart RIP
30-07-2013, 09:57 PM

You are the only person I have encountered that remembers Peter Cormacks goal from the half way line. Thank you. I was starting to think I imagined it. Roy Barry scored an own goal and we won 2-0. I still have the programme. 6d

Tom Hart RIP
30-07-2013, 09:59 PM
You are the only person I have encountered that remembers Peter Cormacks goal from the half way line. Thank you. I was starting to think I imagined it. Roy Barry scored an own goal and we won 2-0. I still have the programme. 6d

Ps Jimmy Orourke was sub and the ref was Tiny Wharton.

johnrebus
30-07-2013, 10:01 PM
yes was at the game , sure we lost 2=1 but mind it was a big crowd, we usually just played one maybe two friendlies back then, no like now play about 5 or six. it was usually against top english side as well

Was there, first time at ER.

Think it might have finished 0-0?

iwasthere1972
30-07-2013, 10:05 PM

Okay. I'll buy it for 6d. Cheers. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
30-07-2013, 10:05 PM
I've been going to watch Hibs since I was 6 years old and my first match was in early 1995 when Alex Miller was still there.

I remember watching the likes of Darren Jackson, Keith Wright and Michael O'Neill although my memory of them is a little hazy. Unfortunately I remember Jim Duffy's time in charge a lot better and the likes of Stevie Crawford, Barry Lavety and John Hughes.

I was almost 10 when we were relegated in May 1998 so that was a much better age for being able to take things in.

leither17
30-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Gordon Rae testimonial is the first game I remember going to but had been to a few 0-0 before that

gogsy23
30-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Can only remember my 1st away game on the bonnyrigg hibs bus to aberdeen. Was intoduced to andy goram when he ws doing his warm up. He said he was sweating out the lager from the friday..lol wasnt kidding either.

Got my programme signed by the team then left it o the bus home. Great day and good times

Andy74
30-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Tom Hart Trophy v Hearts was first game. Not certain of year. We scored late to win 1-0 I think.

blackpoolhibs
30-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Tom Hart Trophy v Hearts was first game. Not certain of year. We scored late to win 1-0 I think.

Forget the guys name, but we signed an old guy from Ayr a week before if my memory is right, and he scored that goal. Gerry O'Brien???

fatbloke
30-07-2013, 10:10 PM
1963 Hibernian 0 Dundee (with Gordon Smith) 4 at ER.

IWasThere2016
30-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Early 70s for me.

Heriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black Blacley Edwards O'Rourke Gordon Cropley Duncan

Same team - nobody was better than Stanton, and I'm convinced I'll never see anyone better play for the Hibs.

Nomeancity
30-07-2013, 10:16 PM
My first was mid seventies against st Johnstone at ER. We were going for the league with rangers, we lost 1-0 and jimmy o'rourke scored for the saints. I can always remember the look on my dads face when I asked him "did he not used to play for hibs and he was one of your favourites".
when my dad told the story in later years he always said that he JO didn't celebrate but I can't really remember that. Anyone confirm if he did or not?

hibby al
30-07-2013, 10:16 PM
yea same as some others scott quinn stein cormack and stevenson first change to that that I think I remember is marinello replacing scott
seem to mind shevlane at full back also was that after duncans leg break ?

fatbloke
30-07-2013, 10:20 PM

Jeezo I remember that goal was other goal that day mibby a Roy Barry OG?

snooky
30-07-2013, 10:24 PM
My first was mid seventies against st Johnstone at ER. We were going for the league with rangers, we lost 1-0 and jimmy o'rourke scored for the saints. I can always remember the look on my dads face when I asked him "did he not used to play for hibs and he was one of your favourites".
when my dad told the story in later years he always said that he JO didn't celebrate but I can't really remember that. Anyone confirm if he did or not?

IIRC he turned and, straight-faced, shook hands with the Saints player next to him as he began to run back down the slope to line up.
TBH, I felt happy for him at the time - it was all Hibs (i.e the management) deserved.
Letting a legend go. Bah! And not for the first or last time either (G Smith & SirPS).

wookie70
30-07-2013, 10:27 PM
My uncle used to lift me over the turnstiles and my first games were probably around 1975 when I was 7. My memories of games start a bit later when I started going with mates around 1978. Players of note would be Des Bremner, Craig Paterson, Ralphy Callaghan., Gordon Rae and my old PE teacher Jim McArthur. My favourite player was possibly Ally MacLeod fat but fantastic and I always loved the fact Tony Higgins rose to a height of 2 inches less than his standing height when going for a header. Benny Brazil was also legendary.

I think my age group has probably been one of the most deprived generations of Hibs fans. No famous five or Tornadoes and years of abysmal dreary football. A couple of Cups, Mowbrays Team and George Best some of the meagre rewards. I used to hate Hibs under Alex Miller as I thought we were dull. How I long for an O'Neill, Archibald or Jackson now.

One thing that does surprise me is that going to watch Hibs now is so boring it isn't funny. However we still get gates approaching 10,000 for end of year meaningless fixtures. It wasn't unusual to get 4-5000 in my early days of watching Hibs and we and Scottish football were a good deal better at that point. The games were also not generally televised and were at 3pm on a Saturday. My generation must have been very good at bringing our kids up to go to the games. My two have little or no choice.

jgl07
30-07-2013, 10:28 PM
My first match at Easter Road was around 1984 against Hearts. I remember it was during the miners' strike.

Hibs were leading 1-0 until late in the game when Hearts scored two late goals to win 2-1. I do remember a huge police presence with the Hibs fans taunting them with Arthur Scargill chants.

woody0-7
30-07-2013, 10:29 PM
First game was a friendly v feyenord in the early eighties or late 70s not really sure just remember being in the old main stand!anybody know when this game was for defo?

YehButNoBut
30-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Early 70s for me.

The best Hibs side I've ever seen, or ever likely to see.

That team would pi ss the current SPL. :thumbsup:

cabbageandribs1875
30-07-2013, 10:48 PM
First game was a friendly v feyenord in the early eighties or late 70s not really sure just remember being in the old main stand!anybody know when this game was for defo?

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/friendly.php?id=3195

great site btw

woody0-7
30-07-2013, 10:56 PM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/friendly.php?id=3195

great site btw

Cheers for that :-))

madabouthibs
30-07-2013, 11:12 PM
My first game was a George Best game, I can't really remember it, too young, but the first game I do remember was a game against Killie. I was on the somewhat empty East with my uncle, he was up from London, and we won 8-1. I remember the Hibs fans singing in the west stand "we want 8, we want 8"........ I loved it.
The player I remember most was Wullie Irvine, but we also had the Scotland Goaly, I remember him because I had a World Cup 78 poster on my bedroom wall! :greengrin

The Harp
30-07-2013, 11:40 PM
First game for me was at Tynecastle for a derby game aged 4 in 1951. Pretty sure it finished 1-1. I was taken along by my dad. We were at the front of the terracing opposite that historic stand of theirs and I had my wee spindley legs over the perimeter wall. Can still remember a policeman advising my dad to get my legs off the track-side in case I got injured if there was a challenge at the edge of the pitch (very caring policemen in those days:wink:).
I must have a thing about Tynecastle 'cos I took my son to his first game there too in '79 - it was the cup tie v Meadowbank Thistle (they played it there as they weren't allowed to play either of the Edin clubs or the OF at M'bank for safety reasons).

Dunderhall
30-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Feb 1973, still remember my big brother coming home from the NY game and asking him the score.
I was 8 then, ran up the stairs to check as I didn't believe him. Demanded to start going to the games then.
We were staying at Fountainbridge at that point, going to Tollcross was fun after the holidays.
Great time to be a hibby, never realised how spoiled I was until many years later.

Prof. Shaggy
31-07-2013, 12:42 AM

That was about the first team I saw, except Cousin was in there - I think for McGraw.

67 League Cup - 2-4 against Dundee.

Drummer
31-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Some of the team I remember same time as JDSHIPS ,Jimmy Kerr ,Jock Govan ,Davie Shaw ( brother Jock was with Rangers ) , Peter Aird , John Patterson, Sammy Kean Gordon Smith , Willie Finnegan ? Nutley, Bobby Combe, Archie Buchanan Alec Linwood, THis was just before the famous 5
Drummer

Islington Hibs
31-07-2013, 06:57 AM
1975 Hibs 0 Aberdeen 0. Ally Macleod missed a sitter. First big game 2-1 v the Hearts in the Cup perhaps 2/3 years later- some atmosphere!

greenpaper55
31-07-2013, 07:08 AM
The late fifties, my first memory is of going to see reserve games with a certain Jock Buchanan playing, first team games were always ones i could get a "lift over" and therefore free entry and one of the first games was the famous Joe Baker cup tie when he scored i think nine . The best team was Ned's by a mile, one of the best in Europe at the time that's how good we were , changed day indeed.

KeithTheHibby
31-07-2013, 07:13 AM
I was at ER circa 1979 when George Best was there, vaguely remember being there.

Earliest memories of players was around 1983/84 I think, had a decent group of young lads at the time.
Kano, JC, Geebsy, Eddie May etc. Also a young Craig Paterson, can still remember him joining the now defunct Rangers and being rather hacked off about it!

southsider
31-07-2013, 08:07 AM
Mid 1960's at a snowy E R v St Johnstone and we lost 5-2. Maybe i should have chucked there and then and stuck in at the school ! Nae chance.

ArmadaleHibs
31-07-2013, 08:23 AM
My first appearance at ER was 1978. I was 5 years old. I don't remember it well but I do remember a little. We won 4-0. I got upset when the same two teams appeared after half time. My dad still tells that story to this day. I've been totally addicted from that day. I've been a home and away supporter and season ticket holder for as long as I can remember.

Cracker
31-07-2013, 08:23 AM

Joe Baker prior to him leaving for Italy was my first sight of the great Hibernian,it was then down to watch the first team one week the resserves the following week,didn't have far. To travel my late father was church officer at London road church. Tommy Preston,Joe McLellan and John Baxter were the guys who played then,my school Boy hero was Jim Easton those were the days!

Cocohibby
31-07-2013, 08:29 AM
1st game I saw was the final game of the 1980-81 season against Raith Rovers - we'd already won the 1st Division by then I believe. Arthur Duncan, Jackie McNamara, Alan Sneddon, Gordon Rae and Ally Brazil stick in the mind but not sure if they all played that day - I was only 5.

thebakerboy
31-07-2013, 08:33 AM
You can see from my Avatar who my biggest hero was , along with Johnny McLeod and Davie Gibson , but I first came to ER in 1952 and my greatest memory of that was getting to sit on the police horse under the stand ( kids eh!). But I did see the famous 5 etc , but I am never sure whether the memories are mine or my dads stories from later but that makes it 61 years , coming into my 62nd. season. What did I do to deserve that but really enjoyed it in general but Hibs have always managed high moments and extreme lows as well but never mind once a Hibby always a Hibby.

mixuok
31-07-2013, 08:35 AM
first game i remember was hibs v dumfermline i was about 7 or 8, neil martin scored with a bullet header and he made me a hibby, strange thing is i remember the pars scorer it was a guy called charlie dickson..... wtf!!! but neilly was my first hero :flag:

bournehibby
31-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Mid 1960's at a snowy E R v St Johnstone and we lost 5-2. Maybe i should have chucked there and then and stuck in at the school ! Nae chance.

Remember that one Southsider ! Was Christmas Eve, freezing cold in the cowshed, and just to round it off I had just been given my jotters from my first job :greengrin

Miguel
31-07-2013, 09:09 AM
For some reason, considering all the great players we had on the park at the time, it's the goalies I remember, Wullie Wilson and Thomson Allan. Think this must have been just after Ronnie Simpson's time. Also recall it was at end of the era when big scores seemed more common: 11-1 against Hamilton; 6-5 again Dunfermline; 7-0 v Partick. An early highlight was Pat Quinn's quick fire hat-trick at Tynie. If 'Mighty Quinn' was sung, can't remember it - I thought he would have left by the time that came out (1968)? Happy days. Hibs have had some great players and teams, but have always lacked that vital ingredient: consistency.

blackpoolhibs
31-07-2013, 09:20 AM
The first players i remember are Pat Quinn, Willie Wilson John McNamee Alan Cousens and the likes. Although i'm not sure what my first game was?

Games I remember are tynecastle in a semi final against Dundee. Alan McGraw scoring the winner late on after playing up front injured as we'd used our substitute.

I also remember Bobby Duncan breaking his leg at easter road against Celtic, dirty ******* Hughes with a terrible tackle, you could hear the crack all round the stadium. :boo hoo:

I don't know which order these games are, or indeed what year they were but my dad was taking me to easter road in the mid 60s, i'd guess around 1965?

There was no real child protection services in those days. :wink:

johncrobertson@
31-07-2013, 09:34 AM
I remember going to a lot of the Reserve games at Easter Road to watch - Jock Buchanan / Davie Gibson / Desmond Fox - we had a really good Reserve team then. In terms of the first team, I remember us completing the hat trick over Rangers by beating them 1-0 in the cup at Easter Road - Willie Hamilton's late goal. I saw the Hibees beat Real Madrid 2-0 and various great European victories. Wilson - Fraser -Parke - Stanton - McNamee - Baxter - Scott - Quinn - Martin - Hamilton and Cormack. Great times!

Biggie
31-07-2013, 09:38 AM
The best Hibs side I've ever seen, or ever likely to see.

That team would pi ss the current SPL. :thumbsup:

Can't remember my first game, but that was the team that I grew up with.....spoilt rotten as that was some team...when was the last time hibs had 6/7 internationalists in their team?

TAHibby
31-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Fair bit more recent than most mine is sadly. Not one that is a strong memory but a 1-0 defeat to Falkirk in 2006, got there 10 minutes late and missed the goal... Believe a certain Liam Craig was sent off along with Kevin Thomson. Back of the old east, didn't exactly have the best view!

Stevo1875
31-07-2013, 09:52 AM
http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/hibernian-fc/1986/2/

Good site for past squads. Steve Cowan .... Remember us getting beat by a few and he missed so many chances. Still thought he was the best player ever lol

lapsedhibee
31-07-2013, 10:11 AM
I remember going to a lot of the Reserve games at Easter Road to watch - Jock Buchanan / Davie Gibson / Desmond Fox - we had a really good Reserve team then. In terms of the first team, I remember us completing the hat trick over Rangers by beating them 1-0 in the cup at Easter Road - Willie Hamilton's late goal. I saw the Hibees beat Real Madrid 2-0 and various great European victories. Wilson - Fraser -Parke - Stanton - McNamee - Baxter - Scott - Quinn - Martin - Hamilton and Cormack. Great times!

2-1. Jim Baxter's comeback after a leg break. Think the league game might have been 1-0, Neilly M scoring with an orange ball (or that might have been another season entirely).

jdships
31-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Big thankyou to deano88for starting this thread !
Am reading every post that comes up and " wallowing in the nostalgia"
So many real Hibbees telling us of their memories - lovely !!:top marks
Nice to have a thread with NO GRIPES OR MOANS :wink:
Keep it going boys and girls your entertaing at least one elderly supporter :greengrin

PURE DEAD BRILLIANT !!!

zero-seven
31-07-2013, 10:28 AM

first game was 1965, Joe Davis, willie Wilson, chris shevlane , sir Patrick of Stanton, marinello, Cormack era..witnessed the Tornados ( ahh those were the days ) 0-7, beating Rangers and Celtic regularly, European campaigns , PLAYING FOR THE JERSEY...does anyone remember that concept ?

heidtheba
31-07-2013, 10:30 AM
First game was around end of January 1993 - mate from uni took me to my first football match. We lost to Rangers 3-4 but what a game. Favourite player for me that day was Willie Miller. Think Murdo McLeod was playing that day. Can't remember who we had in goals then - don't think it was Leighton. Any ideas?

Ritchie
31-07-2013, 10:36 AM
my first ever Hibs game was Hibs V Clyde in the Scottish Cup, 1994.

Score was 2-1 to hibs, goals from Crunchie & O'Neil

Team that day was:-

Leighton
Miller
Mitchell
Farrell
Tweed
Beaumont
McAllister
Tortolano
KEITH KEITH KEITH
Jackson
O'Neil

Don't want be talk about how that Scottish Cup campaign ended!! :jamboak:

heidtheba
31-07-2013, 10:38 AM
my first ever Hibs game was Hibs V Clyde in the Scottish Cup, 1994.

Score was 2-1 to hibs, goals from Crunchie & O'Neil

Team that day was:-

Leighton
Miller
Mitchell
Farrell
Tweed
Beaumont
McAllister
Tortolano
KEITH KEITH KEITH
Jackson
O'Neil

Don't want be talk about how that Scottish Cup campaign ended!! :jamboak:

Thats 'my team' that I remember best! I remember that game, Clyde seemed to be full of really big huddies that day. Yes I was also
there that day we should have scythed down a certain wayne in the penalty box

Ritchie
31-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Thats 'my team' that I remember best! I remember that game, Clyde seemed to be full of really big huddies that day. Yes I was also
there that day we should have scythed down a certain wayne in the penalty box

remember going to the first game the following season. We pumped Dundee United 5-0 at ER... the first game after Brewster scored the goal for United that beat Rangers in the Scottish Cup Final.

Findlay scoring pretty much straight of kick off with a cracking volley.

still one of my most memorable games!

just found this! http://www.scotsman.com/sport/classic-match-hibs-5-dundee-utd-0-aug-13-1994-1-1250069 :aok:

Zander
31-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Started going to the home games around 1963.
My dad used to lift me over the turnstiles in the old car park behind what is now the East Stand.
Was at the Real Madrid game in 64 but can't remember much about it..
Remember the 11-1 game against Hamilton in 65.
Missed the Hearts 0 Hibs 4 game in Sept 65 as I was getting my tonsils out.
Hibs were 4 up after 10 mins.

CropleyisGod
31-07-2013, 10:59 AM
The Tornados for me too but my favourite memory of ER is Joe Baker's return vs Aberdeen circa 1970? Massive crowd to welcome him back. Paddy broke Clarke's ten (?) game shut out and Joe got the second to bring the house down. Oh! And Alex Edwards extracting the Michael from the Juventus wall in front of 40 odd thousand? :-))

Mr White
31-07-2013, 11:00 AM
First game was around end of January 1993 - mate from uni took me to my first football match. We lost to Rangers 3-4 but what a game. Favourite player for me that day was Willie Miller. Think Murdo McLeod was playing that day. Can't remember who we had in goals then - don't think it was Leighton. Any ideas?

That was a cracking game, jackson and mcginlay were on form that day, we were unlucky to lose but that was an exceptional rangers team. Haven't checked but I think Chris Reid may have been in goals? Was strange sitting in the cowshed that day as the roof had blown off during a storm a few days earlier!

heidtheba
31-07-2013, 11:10 AM
That was a cracking game, jackson and mcginlay were on form that day, we were unlucky to lose but that was an exceptional rangers team. Haven't checked but I think Chris Reid may have been in goals? Was strange sitting in the cowshed that day as the roof had blown off during a storm a few days earlier!

Now you mention it, that sounds about right! Yeah that was some introduction to football!

Bishop Hibee
31-07-2013, 11:10 AM
First game I remember being at was away to East Fife, the game after 0-7. On a high at being top of the league no doubt, my dad and his brother decided to go to Methil. A crowd of us piled into my uncle's van, no seat belts or any of that nonsense :shocked: and off we went. Hibs won 1-0. We were behind the goals and although only 6 years old I can remember clearly Alan Gordon rising in front of us to head the winner and celebrating with my dad, uncle and cousins.

I have to side with John Blackley himself who at a recent book launch at ER said that the Tornadoes underachieved. Mind you it's all relative after the guff we've suffered in the last few seasons.

Keith_M
31-07-2013, 11:27 AM

Ditto!

:greengrin

OrdHibby
31-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Round about 72/73 for me. I have recollections of putting 5 fast Morton and Clyde. Jimmy O'Rourke and Alan Gordon scoring all the goals against Morton and Pat Stanton Getting a hatrick agains Clyde.
First hawrts game we won 2-1 at home and i think we missed 2 penalties ( please don't quote me on this as it was a long tome ago :flag:

Owain_1987
31-07-2013, 12:16 PM
My first Hibs game was Hibs v Hearts the week after we won the Skol Cup in 1991 and my brother was the mascot. I don't remember too much about the game apart from the wooden seats in the west and having a photo with the Skol Cup which my Grandparents still have framed on their wall. My favourite first Hibs player was Mickey Weir mostly for his goal celebration.

blackpoolhibs
31-07-2013, 12:26 PM
First game I remember being at was away to East Fife, the game after 0-7. On a high at being top of the league no doubt, my dad and his brother decided to go to Methil. A crowd of us piled into my uncle's van, no seat belts or any of that nonsense :shocked: and off we went. Hibs won 1-0. We were behind the goals and although only 6 years old I can remember clearly Alan Gordon rising in front of us to head the winner and celebrating with my dad, uncle and cousins.

I have to side with John Blackley himself who at a recent book launch at ER said that the Tornadoes underachieved. Mind you it's all relative after the guff we've suffered in the last few seasons.

Was that game not at Easter Road? :confused:

OrdHibby
31-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Early 70s for me.

That was my team although i remember Derek Spalding in that team at times. Maybe he was slightly later.

Zander
31-07-2013, 12:35 PM

it was, it's the game John Brownlie broke his leg and Alex Edwards got booked. He got banned for something like 56 days for having a lot of bookings that season.
Crowd was almost 20,000 that day

blackpoolhibs
31-07-2013, 12:37 PM
it was, it's the game John Brownlie broke his leg and Alex Edwards got booked. He got banned for something like 56 days for having a lot of bookings that season.
Crowd was almost 20,000 that day

:agree: Thats what i thought, it was the day our league title ambitions died. :boo hoo:

Golden Bear
31-07-2013, 12:50 PM

:agree:

I was in the cowshed that day and that magnificent,(and unbelievable!) goal is still vivid in my memories.

PC was some player and he scored many brilliant goals with both his head and his feet. He had an uncanny knack of being able to jump early and almost hang in the air. He scored a lot of goals with his head despite not being the tallest of players.

Phil MaGlass
31-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Same team - nobody was better than Stanton, and I'm convinced I'll never see anyone better play for the Hibs.

Cannae mind ma first game, mind watching Duncan, Schaedler and the likes,great days, later became a ball boy and also worked on a couple of gates when ah got older.

OrdHibby
31-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Fair bit more recent than most mine is sadly. Not one that is a strong memory but a 1-0 defeat to Falkirk in 2006, got there 10 minutes late and missed the goal... Believe a certain Liam Craig was sent off along with Kevin Thomson. Back of the old east, didn't exactly have the best view!

That was ma wee yins forst game. Thomson got sent off. Craig wasn't on the park but got involved and was sent off ( hawrts *******). Did broonaldo no get sent off as well. Patrick Cregg got 2 yellow cards but that cheating ******* freeland didn't send him off. The intervention to the Hibs bench brought it to the corrupt refs attention.

Newcastlehibby
31-07-2013, 12:55 PM
:agree: Thats what i thought, it was the day our league title ambitions died. :boo hoo:

Indeed. Up to that game we had scored 53 goals in 20 games and conceded 20, as good as Celtic!
In all games, Jim O'Rourke had scored 32 and Alan Gordon had scored 30.
Oh for players like that now.

Golden Bear
31-07-2013, 12:55 PM
The Tornados for me too but my favourite memory of ER is Joe Baker's return vs Aberdeen circa 1970? Massive crowd to welcome him back. Paddy broke Clarke's ten (?) game shut out and Joe got the second to bring the house down. Oh! And Alex Edwards extracting the Michael from the Juventus wall in front of 40 odd thousand? :-))

Remember the white football boots? - in these days you just had to be a great football player to play in white "bits" otherwise you would be called a pansy or much, much worse.

:greengrin

Phil MaGlass
31-07-2013, 12:56 PM
My uncle used to lift me over the turnstiles and my first games were probably around 1975 when I was 7. My memories of games start a bit later when I started going with mates around 1978. Players of note would be Des Bremner, Craig Paterson, Ralphy Callaghan., Gordon Rae and my old PE teacher Jim McArthur. My favourite player was possibly Ally MacLeod fat but fantastic and I always loved the fact Tony Higgins rose to a height of 2 inches less than his standing height when going for a header. Benny Brazil was also legendary.

I think my age group has probably been one of the most deprived generations of Hibs fans. No famous five or Tornadoes and years of abysmal dreary football. A couple of Cups, Mowbrays Team and George Best some of the meagre rewards. I used to hate Hibs under Alex Miller as I thought we were dull. How I long for an O'Neill, Archibald or Jackson now.

One thing that does surprise me is that going to watch Hibs now is so boring it isn't funny. However we still get gates approaching 10,000 for end of year meaningless fixtures. It wasn't unusual to get 4-5000 in my early days of watching Hibs and we and Scottish football were a good deal better at that point. The games were also not generally televised and were at 3pm on a Saturday. My generation must have been very good at bringing our kids up to go to the games. My two have little or no choice.

Aye, keep forgetting that, for everyone that thinks 8 thou is a bad crowd they should mibbe look back at some of the crowds we actually had, had one or two cracking crowds aswell to be fair.

Dan Sarf
31-07-2013, 01:36 PM
My first game was when my Dad (a Dubliner) finally relented and took me to see the Famous Four (Bobby had gone).

Result: Hibs 6, Falkirk 1. I was a Hibee for life!

From http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=42099

Team: Jackie Wren, Willie McFarlane & George Muir, Hugh Higgins, Jackie Plenderleith & Bobby Combe, John Fraser, Eddie Turbull, Lawrie Reilly, Jimmy Harrower, Willie Ormond.

Goals: Fraser 1, Turnbull 1, Ormond 1 and, of course, Gie The Ba' Tae Reilly 3!

Attendance 20,000 (how many would that team get today?)

We sat up in the posh seats in the old wooden centre stand. I still remember the good natured banter and the clouds of cigarette smoke. Not what I wanted at all. I wanted to be down there with the real fans who seemed to be having much more fun.

As soon as I could go with some pals, we always stood at the corner flag at the Dunbar End for the first half, assuming we won the toss (to watch wee Willie Ormond thunder up and down). Then, passing the opposition fans en route, we went and stood at the corner at the bottom of the slope to watch Gordon work his elegant magic. He always seemed to beat his man a different way until they were either reduced to a gibbering wreck or tried to break his leg. Or both.

surreyhibbie
31-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Was there, first time at ER.

Think it might have finished 0-0?

I was convinced it was 0-0. In fact, the first 5 games I went to ended goal-less.

Then we had a certain European game when the guy who usually took me fell ill and cancelled at the last minute so I couldn't go... we won 6-0 ..

some Swedish team called Malmo...

I was not a happy lad!

Cocohibby
31-07-2013, 02:44 PM

I believe it may have been Budgie...

Fat Boab
31-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Remember Benny Brazil's hat trick against Celtic in a friendly.

Now that was game!:thumbsup:

Renfrew_Hibby
31-07-2013, 03:55 PM
My first memories of Hibs were from Pannini stickers and Clydesdale Bank (I think) reviews. Stickers of Rough, Cowan and a really young Micky Weir. Mainly just pictures detailing the strip, badge & ground totally captured my imagination and from 7 or 8 I was a Hibby. First TV memories was of Collins, Kane, Milne & Goram ect. Used to go round to my uncles to watch Scotsoprt on a sunday afternoon when I was wee.1st game I went to was v Ayr on the way to Skol Cup glory and that team really stuck in my head. Keith, wee Micky and McGinley... Heroes! When I started going regularly it was that great but short lived team of Crunchie, O'Neill, Keith and Dazza Jackson who was my fav player for some time.

Franck Stanton
31-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Was taken to Easter Road in 1958 when I was 5, cant remember very much from then however. Players I do remember were Joe "Penalty King" Davis at L/Back, always remember his black hair swept back thick with Brylcreme, "Big" John MacNamee, [was devastated when he left to go to Newcastle], Most memorable games - Napoli 5-0 at E/R Bobby Duncans goal from just in front of the dugouts shooting uphill, must have been what 40-45 yards, FC Beza 7-0 Sporting Lisbon 6-0, & 7-0 on new years day at Tescodome, Favourite player _ Has to be Pat Stanton, [Pele is the Brazilian spelling of Stanton], worst moment - last Thursday, [may be because it so recent]. Oh and I remember singing the "Mighty Quinn song as well.

Notahappyhibee
31-07-2013, 04:29 PM
When I was a bairn in the seventies, play on leith links ,
I can still hear the roar of the crowd as Hibs scored !!!!!
My dad being a Stirling Albion fan not to keen on taking me so had to wait until I could go myself. The first time was in the bells cup Hibs v hearts , man city v Coventry city on the same day at easter road both draws if my memory serves me right. 77, 78 I think

londonhibby
31-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Against Falkirk, 13 October 1973 at Easter Road. Hibs won 2-0.:thumbsup: Higgins and Gordon scored.

McArthur
Bremner
Schaedler
Stanton
Black
Blackley
Edwards
Higgins
Gordon
Cropley
Duncan

Bishop Hibee
31-07-2013, 05:52 PM

Checked and indeed you are right! The game I was thinking of was the September before this. It was 0-1 with Gordon scoring though. I must have been at the home game too as it also ended 1-0.

ancient hibee
31-07-2013, 06:15 PM
The first Hibs team I remember seeing although I'd seen a few before 1953 was

Younger,Govan,Paterson,Buchanan,Howie,Combe,Smith Johnstone,Reilly,Turnbull,Ormond.

Hearts

Watters,Parker,Mackenzie,Armstrong,Glidden,Laing,S ouness,Conn,Bauld,Wardhaugh,Urquhart.

Rangers-I think

Brown,Young,Little,McColl,WoodburnCox,Waddell,Grie rson,Thornton,Simpson,Hubbard.

Celtic ddn't count then:greengrin

One Day
31-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Early 60's v Dunfermline

JustSimplyHibs
31-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Hibs v Dumbarton, sometime in 1983. I know we defo won, score was 4-0 (In that region anyway). Went with my old yin.

banarc7062
31-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Coronation Cup Final. Beaten by f***ing celtic 1953. Things have not changed much. GGTTH

Bob Box Fish
31-07-2013, 06:38 PM
1991 first game vs dunfermline in the cup final as an 11 year old

Hibrandenburg
31-07-2013, 06:41 PM

That'll take some beating mate. You'll have seen good times like most of us can only dream of.

Me, early 70's and long before keekaboo (not that I'm competitive) :greengrin

Speedway
31-07-2013, 06:41 PM
I first stopped going under Bertie Auld and said I'd never be back.

I've then stopped going many times under Stanton, Blackley, Miller, Scott, Duffy, Sauzee, Williamson, Mixu, Yogi, Deadwood and Fenlon.

I've been not going to Easter Road for as long as I can remember.

weedgiehibbie
31-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Been travelling/taken through since January 92 since the Scottish cup game v Partick Thistle in the 3rd round that season at ER - i think the highlights are on youtube somewhere which was a very pleasent suprise :agree:

Went to all 3 cup games that season (or i tihnk it was all 3 :confused: ) - away to Clydebank & remember standing right at the front and being able to hear Mickey Weir say "Gie us it Gie us it" on the touchline when Gordon Hunter was in possession and the getting beat off Airdrie in the Quarters at home - at least that did get me used to seeing typical Hibs in the cup :rolleyes: :greengrin

Newcastlehibby
31-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Against Falkirk, 13 October 1973 at Easter Road. Hibs won 2-0.:thumbsup: Higgins and Gordon scored.

McArthur
Bremner
Schaedler
Stanton
Black
Blackley
Edwards
Higgins
Gordon
Cropley
Duncan
Only 2 players short of a top team.
Strength in depth - always an issue.

OrdHibby
31-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Remember Benny Brazil's hat trick against Celtic in a friendly.

Now that was game!:thumbsup:

Aye Kano, Weir & Collins ran the show. McStay got booked and should have walked cause Collins was taking the piss out of him with showboating. I only got wind of the game a couple of hours before and headed down. Magic. Gordon Durie scored and i think Willie Jamieson got one and maybe Steve Cowan.
Memories

eastterrace
31-07-2013, 09:16 PM
remember my first away game it was at dunfermline and hibs won 6=5 jim scott scoring the winner, i had been to home games before that game but was hooked on away games then i was about 13 yrs old.

Glory Lurker
31-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Hibs 1 Dumbarton 0, 3 January 1981. Garry Murray scored. Team had likes of Craig Paterson, Ralphie Callachan, Arthur Duncan, Ally MacLeod, Jackie Mac (how was this team ever relegated???), and of course the one and only Jim McArthur (my avatar, for the benefit of young people!).

Speedy
31-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Big thankyou to deano88for starting this thread !
Am reading every post that comes up and " wallowing in the nostalgia"
So many real Hibbees telling us of their memories - lovely !!:top marks
Nice to have a thread with NO GRIPES OR MOANS :wink:
Keep it going boys and girls your entertaing at least one elderly supporter :greengrin

PURE DEAD BRILLIANT !!!

You're welcome :greengrin

Miguel
31-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Hibs' misfortune is that we had good teams when others were also strong. The famous five had Rangers to contend with and Turnbull's Tornadoes Celtic. Think that's what disappoints me most just now. With Rangers absent and Hearts on their knees we should be pushing on...

GGTTH07
01-08-2013, 12:32 AM
First game was about 2000-2001 but my main memories of hibs are riordan o'connor era

HibeePaj
01-08-2013, 12:54 AM
My dad took me along to my first Hibs game, at ER when i was 6... A 3-1 derby defeat which was also Millers last game.
Sat in the old west, the memory which is engrained in my head is the woman sat behind me, fag in puss, screaming 'break eez f****** legs!!' For 90 mins.
Think I fell in love the hibs from that moment,,,
We were never ST holders growing up but we still got to a good few games, hibs kids games aswell. Remember going to quite a few in Div1.

Just checked, the average age of the team that day was 28! Ray Wilkins 40, Jim Leighton 38, Keithhh 31,

Happy to know that my kids, and my grandkids will be able to have similar memories at ER when they're growing up!

Swedish hibee
01-08-2013, 01:44 AM
As a child from the 80's.. I want to forget that! All those days going back to school on the Monday after another derby
mauling :grr: It was awful. Makes me wonder why on earth I got hooked on Hibs??
One thing I do remember is away to Aberdeen- that bloody hill you had to cross from where the buses parked, and there was always a fight or two.. Do you still cross over it now?

TamHibs
01-08-2013, 03:45 AM
I was definitely at games before but my first really memory of a game was the New Year Derby '98 at Tynie. 2-2. Fulton had them 2 up early doors IIRC

Scott Allan Key
01-08-2013, 07:43 AM
January 1983, Scottish Cup v Aberdeen at Easter Road. We were beaten by the Aberdeen team that went on to win the Cup Winners Cup that year. A 4-1 loss. But Gordon Rae scored a magnificent pile-driver of a free-kick. The buzz was born in me. Watched from the old West Stand, but gravitated to the Cowshed and best remember the players like Rough (it was those days of the wrong end of the table), Kane, Rice and especially Collins and Weir. Have recollections of Cowan scoring sitters and Evans scoring on his debut.

Don't think I saw a generally competitive all-round Hibs side until the ones Miller built early to mid-nineties, Wright, Jackson, McGinlay, O'Neill. Couldn't believe what I was seeing under McLeish 2000-1 when beat Hearts 6-2 and the run we had at start of season, would love to have seen the teams who've been excellent ALL season, home and away; never saw the Tornadoes, Stanton, Baker and the Famous Five, but history keeps us hoping.

Gettin' Auld
01-08-2013, 08:35 AM
I'd been taken to a few games before this, spread over a couple of years, but i first caught the bug properly in season 64/65........The season that the yams missed out on the league by goal average. :greengrin

MB62
01-08-2013, 10:10 AM

Ok,you win !!![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jdships;3696821]:hibees
thankyou !!!!

It's been a long hard 73 years I can tell you but would never have changed it for the world - memories and more memories !! :top marks

A very good effort JDShips but not quite the winner.

I was talking to Grumpy Gibby The North Stand Hibby the other day and he was telling me that he remembers watching Darling Willie Groves strut his stuff. G.G. said he was back in Edinburgh doing a bit of R&R after being shot dead fighting the Fuzzy Wuzzies in the Boer war and dropped in to see the Hibees as he was bored. It was at this point that I too got bored and fell asleep with him still going on about them 'not liking it up em' I wasn't sure who he was talking about. :greengrin

My own first game was in 1963 against Airdreeeee at Easter Road. I have no recollection of who played but the Hibs won. I got in to a bit of bother when I threw an empty Coca Cola bottle down a near empty terracing and it hit somebody on the ankle, I was only 4 years at the time :greengrin

phantomscotsman
01-08-2013, 06:19 PM
First memory I have is Hibs v the Earthquakes in '81 although i had been to games before. George Best was playing for them? I was only 4, was more amazed at the size of the wagon wheel i was munching! Was in the away end and it was baltic! First cup of bovril as well lol.

Rodsterino
01-08-2013, 06:58 PM
My first game was the '72 SC Final and a 6-1 thrashing in front of a 106,000 crowd. I was 5 and I remember asking my dad when they were going to stop scoring.

wookie70
01-08-2013, 07:17 PM
When I was a bairn in the seventies, play on leith links ,
I can still hear the roar of the crowd as Hibs scored !!!!!
My dad being a Stirling Albion fan not to keen on taking me so had to wait until I could go myself. The first time was in the bells cup Hibs v hearts , man city v Coventry city on the same day at easter road both draws if my memory serves me right. 77, 78 I think

I think it was the Skol Cup. Most peoples memory of that will be the Coventry Chocolate brown Strip!

Eyrie
01-08-2013, 08:01 PM
First game attended would be after Mercer's failed takeover bid, but I can't remember who the visitors were.

Earliest memories would be learning "Glory Glory to the Hibees" at primary school, and a few years later getting a signed team photograph via Jim McArthur. Lost it years ago though (ditto for the photograph).

marinello59
01-08-2013, 08:11 PM
My Dad took me to my first Hibs game in 1971, a pre season friendly against Elgin City, then a Highland League side, at Borough Briggs. I had been harping on at him for weeks to take me along. My old man was no Hibs fan but he was a massive fan of Joe Baker who played that day.

alexhibs
01-08-2013, 08:36 PM
:flag:Used to go as a kid in 70's with Uncle on local supporters minibus, for some strange reason remember going to Ayr Utd! Cant remember score or players. I must have been about 10

Ray_
01-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Hibs 1 Dumbarton 0, 3 January 1981. Garry Murray scored. Team had likes of Craig Paterson, Ralphie Callachan, Arthur Duncan, Ally MacLeod, Jackie Mac (how was this team ever relegated???), and of course the one and only Jim McArthur (my avatar, for the benefit of young people!).

We had problems scoring goals and it wasn't helped when we signed Joe Ward as part of the deal for Des Bremner. Joe Harper was the last player we had that was a regular goal scorer, players like Alex Scott, Martin Henderson, Bobby Hutchison and the young, Colin Campbell were far from being prolific, in fact, I'd go as far as say that their goal's were as rare as an Aberdonian philanthropist.

PS. Also, Gary Murray [or Gordon Durie] hadn't yet signed. :greengrin

Hibs V Hamilton, for me, October 1965, 11-1, set me up for the TT's, but I had to wait a while.

andudare2
01-08-2013, 09:29 PM
You are the only person I have encountered that remembers Peter Cormacks goal from the half way line. Thank you. I was starting to think I imagined it. Roy Barry scored an own goal and we won 2-0. I still have the programme. 6dwas there as well m8 &your spot on with memory.as for me first game with mates was a reserve game v queen of the south,jim scott coming back from injury, hibs won 9-2. was about 8 years of age? so perhaps 51 years ago? been to loads before that with old man but getting to go with pals was /is clearer in my mind.:flag::flag:

Scouse Hibee
01-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Team of 90 is as far back as I go, one thing that does stick in my mind thought was the big vocal guy in front of me at my first ER game...............Frank Dougan.

Aldo
01-08-2013, 09:42 PM
First game at ER was in 1978 v der Hun. Nil nil.

Was in the old West with dad and uncle. I was 8 and have been hooked every since.

andudare2
01-08-2013, 09:43 PM
2-1. Jim Baxter's comeback after a leg break. Think the league game might have been 1-0, Neilly M scoring with an orange ball (or that might have been another season entirely).spot on with this m8,also beat them 4-2 at ibrox that season, think the cup tie was day of churchills funeral, that would really have pissed the blue hoards off!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flag::flag:

Ray_
01-08-2013, 09:44 PM
My Dad took me to my first Hibs game in 1971, a pre season friendly against Elgin City, then a Highland League side, at Borough Briggs. I had been harping on at him for weeks to take me along. My old man was no Hibs fan but he was a massive fan of Joe Baker who played that day.

1971, pre-season, the Boro game, Stiles v Bertie Auld, Nobby Stiles carried off after an attempted assault on Bertie in a game played around a month after Eddie Turnbull had become Hibs manager.

What a great time to go to your first game, kinda meant most of the next four decades was a let down :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
01-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Think it was QOS. Sometime in the early 60's. In the old stand, so might have been a League Cup or reserve match.

No idea what the score was. Too busy running up and down the stairs with my cousin, who became a Yam. :rolleyes:

Have vague early memories of my Dad and Granda slagging off Peter Cormack every time he played. They were good judges of a player, eh no?

Ray_
01-08-2013, 09:47 PM
My first game was the '72 SC Final and a 6-1 thrashing in front of a 106,000 crowd. I was 5 and I remember asking my dad when they were going to stop scoring.

42 years later and they were still at it :grr:

Ray_
01-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Think it was QOS. Sometime in the early 60's. In the old stand, so might have been a League Cup or reserve match.

No idea what the score was. Too busy running up and down the stairs with my cousin, who became a Yam. :rolleyes:

Have vague early memories of my Dad and Granda slagging off Peter Cormack every time he played. They were good judges of a player, eh no?

They certainly weren't alone & I thought he was an absolutely terrific player!

lapsedhibee
02-08-2013, 06:07 AM
was there as well m8 &your spot on with memory.as for me first game with mates was a reserve game v queen of the south,jim scott coming back from injury, hibs won 9-2. was about 8 years of age? so perhaps 51 years ago? been to loads before that with old man but getting to go with pals was /is clearer in my mind.:flag::flag:

I think I remember that game, with Pat Stanton playing (perhaps just after he joined?) as a forward (inside left, No 10) and scoring a couple. If that's the right game, it would have been the first time I saw Pat. I remember thinking he looked slow, well off the pace. What is it they say about first impressions?

Oh yes, "they're mostly a pile o' cack".

andudare2
02-08-2013, 11:22 AM
I think I remember that game, with Pat Stanton playing (perhaps just after he joined?) as a forward (inside left, No 10) and scoring a couple. If that's the right game, it would have been the first time I saw Pat. I remember thinking he looked slow, well off the pace. What is it they say about first impressions?

Oh yes, "they're mostly a pile o' cack".could well have been bud. jim scott was sort of my first hibs hero,so probably was not clued up then as to who st.pat was!. soon did know about him though,as did all of scotish fitba:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

MM19
03-08-2013, 07:41 PM

I remember that game think it was about 1966. I started going at the start of that season we played Nottingham Forrest and won 3 2 Joe Baker scored the two Forrest goals. the Hibs team was Allan,Duncan, Davis, Stanton, McNamee, Cousin, Cormack,Stein, Scott, McGraw and Stevenson