PDA

View Full Version : pet insurance

Allant1981
22-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Can anyone help. When i need to make a claim on the dogs insurance do i need to pay the fee's upfront then claim it back or pay the excess then the vet claims it? Never had to do this before

Jay
22-07-2013, 09:26 PM
It depends on your insurer and vet. Some of them will pay the vet direct but some vets prefer you to pay it all and then claim yourself from the insurer. If its a major op you have to clear it with the insurer before going ahead too. My dog has just had an op costing £2400 which i had to get cleared first. Best thing to do is give them a call and tell them whats going on, they will run you through their policy

Hibbyradge
23-07-2013, 09:47 AM
How much does pet insurance cost?

I know, how long is a piece of string, but we're thinking about getting a dog and I was wondering if it's worth getting insurance.

Jay
23-07-2013, 10:04 AM

I know, how long is a piece of string, but we're thinking about getting a dog and I was wondering if it's worth getting insurance.

Pedigrees are more expensive than mixed breeds and there are very different levels of cover. I would highly recommend getting your pet insured. If you are getting a puppy i would defo insure it for at least a year, you dont know what the dogs health might be. My dog snapped his cruciate ligament a month ago and all in its costing around £3000. The op alone was £2400 and the initial xrays were £250. More xrays to come. And thats if it all goes well! If the screws and plates need removed thats additional cost.
If you do go for it be wary of keeping the cost down with low limits, vets bills are expensive! For young dogs pet plan is the way to go. They get very expensive for older dogs though. For my 11 year old i am currently paying £20 per month but it has an exess of £99 plus 30% which with the bills listed above still leaves us a huge bill. Thats with Animal Friends.

Mr White
23-07-2013, 10:32 AM
We pay over 500 a year now to m&s for
insurance for our springer spaniel who in 5 years has had a number of ailments leading to claims- most notably she now has pancreatitus meaning we can only get adequate cover for her with the existing policy. Of course they stick the premium up every year and we don't have a lot of choice but to stick with it and pay it. That policy was a really good deal in year 1 too.

Jay
23-07-2013, 10:53 AM
We pay over 500 a year now to m&s for
insurance for our springer spaniel who in 5 years has had a number of ailments leading to claims- most notably she now has pancreatitus meaning we can only get adequate cover for her with the existing policy. Of course they stick the premium up every year and we don't have a lot of choice but to stick with it and pay it. That policy was a really good deal in year 1 too.

Petplan did that with my cat. After a few claims they whapped his premium up to £30 pm and the excess was £120 plus 20% . We decided to stop insuring him at that point as it wasnt worth it any more.

Mr White
23-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Petplan did that with my cat. After a few claims they whapped his premium up to £30 pm and the excess was £120 plus 20% . We decided to stop insuring him at that point as it wasnt worth it any more.

Yeah I would have done the same- I like cats but they don't offer anywhere near the same value for money as a dog :greengrin

Jay
23-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Yeah I would have done the same- I like cats but they don't offer anywhere near the same value for money as a dog :greengrin

:-) oh i dont know! Over the years i think he may have gotten his fair share. Will be interesting to see what Animal Friends do with Charlies policy in November when its up for renewal. I only went with them last year and have hit my two grand cap in 9 months lol. Ive paid less than £200 so far.

easty
23-07-2013, 12:06 PM

My wife is a vet, and the number of times she comes home from work to tell me that she's had to put an animal to sleep because they owners just didn't have it insured and weren't willing to pay for treatment is horrendous.

Jay
23-07-2013, 12:29 PM
My wife is a vet, and the number of times she comes home from work to tell me that she's had to put an animal to sleep because they owners just didn't have it insured and weren't willing to pay for treatment is horrendous.

Iwe were in the position of having to pay around £1500 which went dont have just lyin about or put our 11 year old down. He is quite old for the op he had (tplo) but we couldnt face losing him, especially when apart from his cruciate he is running about like a four year old. Had we not had insurance i dread to think what sort of decision we would have had to make. Three grand is way over our price range. There are other less successful ops costing just under a grand but the chances of it failing were high so there really wasnt much point considering them. You cant predict something like a cruciate so i would say to everybody to insure and insure well.

easty
23-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Iwe were in the position of having to pay around £1500 which went dont have just lyin about or put our 11 year old down. He is quite old for the op he had (tplo) but we couldnt face losing him, especially when apart from his cruciate he is running about like a four year old. Had we not had insurance i dread to think what sort of decision we would have had to make. Three grand is way over our price range. There are other less successful ops costing just under a grand but the chances of it failing were high so there really wasnt much point considering them. You cant predict something like a cruciate so i would say to everybody to insure and insure well.

When you're looking at bills into the thousands I can understand some people deciding they just cant afford it. But in reality, sometimes we're talking a couple of hundred and people would rather just go for a put to sleep!

Jay
23-07-2013, 01:03 PM
When you're looking at bills into the thousands I can understand some people deciding they just cant afford it. But in reality, sometimes we're talking a couple of hundred and people would rather just go for a put to sleep!

O i know, ive heard of i too, even in young animals. Very sad.

speedy_gonzales
23-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Does your wife feel that vet fees have increased exponentially as pet insurance has become more prevalent?
I've had cats virtually all my life but the last 2 I got back in '01 came from a rescue home with an unknown background. We were turned down for insurance from the most of the big players in the market, we weren't even offered a policy with ridiculous premiums.
In the end we never took insurance and, as sure as a Jambo considers a Blue Peter bring & buy sale as a viable way to finance a football club, one of the cats took ill in '02. After various blood tests it was diagnosed with feline leukaemia, was given 2 blood transfusions but in the end I asked about quality of life and, ultimately, costs. At that point we had bills in excess of £1K and that was only for tests and transfusions.
We asked if getting the cat put down was a humane option, the vet at the Dick Vet was refreshingly honest and said it would be for the best. We had a small chat about the fees and she seemed to intimate that costs were indeed creeping up and most clients were insured 'these days' but she did also justify it by saying animal medicine had come on a long way and this was reflected in costs/charges.

easty
23-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Does your wife feel that vet fees have increased exponentially as pet insurance has become more prevalent?
I've had cats virtually all my life but the last 2 I got back in '01 came from a rescue home with an unknown background. We were turned down for insurance from the most of the big players in the market, we weren't even offered a policy with ridiculous premiums.
In the end we never took insurance and, as sure as a Jambo considers a Blue Peter bring & buy sale as a viable way to finance a football club, one of the cats took ill in '02. After various blood tests it was diagnosed with feline leukaemia, was given 2 blood transfusions but in the end I asked about quality of life and, ultimately, costs. At that point we had bills in excess of £1K and that was only for tests and transfusions.
We asked if getting the cat put down was a humane option, the vet at the Dick Vet was refreshingly honest and said it would be for the best. We had a small chat about the fees and she seemed to intimate that costs were indeed creeping up and most clients were insured 'these days' but she did also justify it by saying animal medicine had come on a long way and this was reflected in costs/charges.

A few weeks ago she was down in Leeds visiting friends and popped into her old work, when she came back she said she was quite shocked at how much they charge for surgeries down there now. Obviously she'll only know how much things cost at her own workplace or places she's worked before. The place in Leeds is pretty cheap for vaccines, they are a chain/franchised business and can buy in bulk from the suppliers, but costs a lot more than where she works now for everything else.

My wife doesn't have any ownership of the vets she works for, she's an employee, so it doesn't really make a difference to her what the customer pays in the end. She does come home from work an awful lot and say she wishes everyone would have insurance though. Having to tell someone with little money and no insurance what their options are, is not a favourite part of her job.

We've had occasions when we've needed the insurance as well, my old dog managed to slice its eyeball and needed it debrided and to wear a contact lens for a while, that wasn't cheap, thank god for insurance! And Cabbage, my dog now, has really bad hips, more or less no sockets there at all, for now it's fine as the muscle acts as a sling and keeps it in place, but in time that's going to be a big vet bill that the insurance will have to cover.

I suppose going to a vets is a bit like going to a mechanic, depending on where you go you're going to get a different price thrown at you. I've never heard her say that the prices have going up because of insurance though.

Beefster
23-07-2013, 02:42 PM

We pay just above £40 a month for a Golden Retriever (for as good a policy as we could find when we got him) but considering that he's subsequently had thousands of pounds worth of medical treatment, we'll be well in credit for the rest of his life.

Personally, I think insurance should be a pre-condition of being allowed to own an animal so would recommend you get some (if you get a dog). If you don't get a pet, you could probably leave it.

Wilson
23-07-2013, 02:47 PM

For some people I imagine getting a dog seems like a good idea but turns out to be an initial mistake that snowballs. If you find it difficult to train, more costly to keep than expected, and underestimated the commitment in time and attention, then it may be hard to bond with it.

Perhaps that is why, in the face of health issues and one bill too many, some find it easier than others to take that decision.

Not me though.

speedy_gonzales
23-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Although insurance is not compulsory, therefore it is a personal choice, I struggle to understand how animal medicine can be so expensive compared to us 'people'. My neighbours lab is on tabs for arthritis that cost more than the equivalent for us, thankfully he has insurance. Another good friend has a ridgeback, less than a year old it developed growths on it's ears, much like skin tacks, £400 to remove with a straight forward procedure(apparently) then it was another £200 when the stitches came out(pulled by dog, not removed by vet),,,again, all covered with insurance but there was an excess each time.,,,,maybe vets are the new plumbers ;-) Only jesting Easty, I know you said your missus isn't calling the shots, but someone is certainly making decent money out a lot of responsible pet owners.

Pretty Boy
23-07-2013, 04:00 PM

I'm about £45 a month for my rottweiller.

Quite pricey but he had just below average hip scores and the breed is prone to heart conditions.

The_Exile
23-07-2013, 10:03 PM
How the **** does it cost 250 notes for an x ray?!!! Whats it powered by?? Kryptonite??!!!!

Jay
23-07-2013, 10:09 PM
How the **** does it cost 250 notes for an x ray?!!! Whats it powered by?? Kryptonite??!!!!

My bill was itemised, it was something like £95 for the first xray, £65 for the second and the rest was for sedation and other drugs then vat.

easty
24-07-2013, 06:28 AM

I suppose it's because you don't get a free x-ray machine with every happy meal at McDonalds. They aren't cheap to buy.

Just_Jimmy
24-07-2013, 08:20 AM
I took the life policy for my beagle with petplan. Basically anything she needs or develops is covered for life and not just for a year which a lot of policies do.

Shes 17 months and its £22.50. So far shes fit and healthy and only needed the run of the mill stuff but even the excesses aren't too bad.

If you are considering get a dog I'd advise to research the breed fully, find out the most common things to affect that breed and find cover which will cover these cheapest. You may never need it but at least you can almost predict these things. Other injuries you cant always.

--------
24-07-2013, 10:59 AM

Yes it is. We've always insured our cats and dogs.

There comes a time when the question has to be addressed as to whether to continue with expensive treatment or have the animal euthanised. We didn't want a lack of money to be a reason for killing an animal who could be treated otherwise.

IMO the deal is that our dogs give us their affection and companionship all their lives. In return we give them a home, feed them, walk them, care for them, and when they come to the end of their time we look after them and spare them suffering. Our pet insurance allowed us to do that for all our animals.

One thing - shop around? I have Petplan, and they've always been very good.

I sympathise - if she's a vet because she likes animals, it must be very hard to encounter these situations.

--------
24-07-2013, 11:19 AM

Couple of other thoughts.

In our family we've had three dogs over the past 34 years - a brown and white collie bitch, a collie-lab cross-bred bitch, and now a black and white collie bitch who's now 11 years old. Every one has been a real joy to us,and when we've had to let the first two go, we've broken our hearts.

Be wary of professional breeders - there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there who aren't too careful about bloodlines and inbreeding.

Some pedigree can have inherited problems, and some breeds can have particular weaknesses that the breeders won't mention if they're only interested in a sale. And some breeds need a lot more exercise than others - that's important on a freezing snowy winter's night when the dog has to go and you're the man for the job.

Have you thought of looking at a rescued dog from a shelter? Our last two dogs were rescues - we went to a reputable shelter and had long and detailed talks with the people there before deciding, and truly we couldn't have had more affectionate loving pets.

(A GOOD shelter will be as concerned about whether YOU're OK to have the dog as about whether the dog's OK to go off with you.)

Your vet should be able to advise you about insurance - ours did.
All the best anyway - dogs are great as long as you're the boss. :thumbsup:

degenerated
24-07-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm about £45 a month for my rottweiller.

Quite pricey but he had just below average hip scores and the breed is prone to heart conditions.

That seems quite expensive, I've got a pretty decent policy through PDSA and its only around £15 a month, my dog is a Cane Corso.

Mr White
30-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Insurance renewal info for mutt came in this morning- premium £757.08. Ouch, full comp on my van is under £200.

Judas Iscariot
30-07-2013, 10:02 AM
That seems quite expensive, I've got a pretty decent policy through PDSA and its only around £15 a month, my dog is a Cane Corso. Beautiful dogs, any pics?

degenerated
30-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Beautiful dogs, any pics?

This is Nico 2 1/2 year old and tipping the scales at 60kg.

hibby rae
01-08-2013, 04:37 PM
That seems quite expensive, I've got a pretty decent policy through PDSA and its only around £15 a month, my dog is a Cane Corso.

Can I ask what you get for your policy? I've been in contact with the dogs trust about getting a dog and I quite like the idea of getting insurance from the pdsa as I believe part of the money helps those less well off.

degenerated
01-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Can I ask what you get for your policy? I've been in contact with the dogs trust about getting a dog and I quite like the idea of getting insurance from the pdsa as I believe part of the money helps those less well off.

I need to dig out the paperwork but from memory it's the persurance 7000 policy we have. Actually it's £20 per month i was confusing it with the insurance on my vespa.

http://www.money.co.uk/pet-insurance/pet-insurers/PDSA-Pet-Insurance.htm

Judas Iscariot
01-08-2013, 08:06 PM
This is Nico 2 1/2 year old and tipping the scales at 60kg.

Beautiful dog mate, huge :greengrin

I have 2 little staffies (little as in proper, pedigree) not these tall lanky crosses that 90% of the public/Sun readers think are actually Staffordshire Bull Terriers!

My boy is 5 today actually :aok:

degenerated
01-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Beautiful dog mate, huge :greengrin

I have 2 little staffies (little as in proper, pedigree) not these tall lanky crosses that 90% of the public/Sun readers think are actually Staffordshire Bull Terriers!

My boy is 5 today actually :aok:

I like Staffies any I meet seem to have a great nature, unfair reputation recently but that will change when the red tops find another breed to demonise. I notice bull mastiffs have been getting it lately.

hibby rae
02-08-2013, 07:10 PM
I need to dig out the paperwork but from memory it's the persurance 7000 policy we have. Actually it's £20 per month i was confusing it with the insurance on my vespa.

http://www.money.co.uk/pet-insurance/pet-insurers/PDSA-Pet-Insurance.htm

Cheers for that.

degenerated
02-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Cheers for that.

No probs. I got my dog from the dogs trust. I had waited for a Rhodesian ridgeback that was due to come in but turned out she was a bit vicious so I was just about to leave when they said Nico had literally just arrived that afternoon. They described him as a bit of a doofus so i went to see him and reserved him there and then. Picked him up a week later after they had done all their checks on his behaviour and our house/garden.

hibby rae
05-08-2013, 08:22 AM
No probs. I got my dog from the dogs trust. I had waited for a Rhodesian ridgeback that was due to come in but turned out she was a bit vicious so I was just about to leave when they said Nico had literally just arrived that afternoon. They described him as a bit of a doofus so i went to see him and reserved him there and then. Picked him up a week later after they had done all their checks on his behaviour and our house/garden.

Almost a similiar story for me, I went to see a dog I'd seen online but she's quite aggressive to strangers and children so isn't suitable ( it's essential the dog can be around young children) but I spotted a lab that had come in just 30 mins before. She was needing a bit of treatment though so I didn't reserve her, I should have though as she wasn't even on the website a day before someone nipped in and got her. I reckon now I should either wait a few months or head down to Seafield, I haven't been there yet. Does anyone have any experience of the EDCH?