PDA

View Full Version : Beer thread

Pages : [1] 2

Pretty Boy
11-07-2013, 08:13 PM
There's been a couple of threads like this before but you can't beat a good discussion about beer.

Currently a huge fan of:

William Bros Seven Giraffes
Timothy Taylor Landlord
Brewdog JackHammer
Cairngorm Trade Winds
Stewart Pentland IPA
Fallen Smokehouse Porter
Peroni Gran Riserva
Pretty much everything by Harviestoun.

Anyone else got any favourites at the moment?

hibsbollah
11-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

When I first started drinking, American beers over here were all pretty similar bland light beers from the multinationals... changed times.

Wembley67
11-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Fix - a dark Greek beer that recently (to my knowledge) has been appearing sporadically in a few off licences.....sexy as hell.

Also, March of the Penguins...don't know much about it apart from it's well tasty :thumbsup:

Wembley67
11-07-2013, 08:50 PM
There's been a couple of threads like this before but you can't beat a good discussion about beer.

Currently a huge fan of:

Timothy Taylor Landlord
Brewdog JackHammer
Cairngorm Trade Winds
Stewart Pentland IPA
Fallen Smokehouse Porter
Peroni Gran Riserva
Pretty much everything by Harviestoun.

Landlord I put up with John Smiths....bogging stuff!

Hiber-nation
11-07-2013, 09:02 PM

Currently a huge fan of:

Stewart Pentland IPA

These 2 definitely and most Williams Bros beers, Ceaser Augustus, Birds and Bees are both barry for the summer...

Sylar
12-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Discovered a lot of nice local ales since moving down to Surrey including Hogsback T.E.A, Hamerpot, Hambledon bitter which are all nice enough.

Was recently in Belgium with work and discovered a real love for both draft Juliper and Leffe - beautiful beers.

Before moving from Scotland, our local pub in Dundee had a great range of beers on tap including Brooklyn, Anchor Steam, Fraoch, Kelpie, Sierra Nevada and Mikkelour.

Scouse Hibee
12-07-2013, 08:37 AM
I used to be a fan of real ale but sadly I just find it's not served cold enough for my liking so never bother with it anymore.

Future17
12-07-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm a massive fan of Innis & Gunn - both the taste and its local origins.

I love all the flavours I have tasted so far and have just noticed there is a Scottish Pale Ale variety which I have yet to sample.

Scouse Hibee
12-07-2013, 08:40 AM
I'm a massive fan of Innis & Gunn - both the taste and its local origins.

I love all the flavours I have tasted so far and have just noticed there is a Scottish Pale Ale variety which I have yet to sample.

I concur I love Innis & Gunn, mostly bottles I drink but I have had the odd pint of draught.

Hibbyradge
12-07-2013, 09:00 AM
London Pride is a lovely pint.

Rarely seen it here though.

Golden Bear
12-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Belhaven Black is by favourite beer right now.

Dark, rich and most hellish tasty.

:yum yum:

Sylar
12-07-2013, 09:09 AM
One I forgot from my list which I discovered at the start of the week was Fuller's Honeydew. Beautiful summer pint!

Scouse Hibee
12-07-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm not a Lager fan but do enjoy a pint of West St Mungo Lager.

I grew up in Liverpool drinking a pint of Golden (1/2 Lager over 1/2 Bitter) or a Brown Bitter ( 1/2 bitter in a pint glass topped with a bottle of brown)

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-07-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm not a big real ale drinker, but, do enjoy a nice porter type pint now and again.

Don't get involved much during the summer, but, I do enjoy Orkney Dark Island, Black Paw Dark Seam, Mordue Workies Ticket and Batemans 4XB. Not had Batemans for years though, not sure it still exists.

Calvin
12-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

When I first started drinking, American beers over here were all pretty similar bland light beers from the multinationals... changed times.
Despite having tried hundreds and hundreds of craft beers over the last couple of years, I think that if I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life then Sierra Nevade Pale Ale would be a genuine contender. So consistent, so refreshing and balanced, and despite Sierra Nevada being such a big brewery now, they have not compromised on quality.

Before moving from Scotland, our local pub in Dundee had a great range of beers on tap including Brooklyn, Anchor Steam, Fraoch, Kelpie, Sierra Nevada and Mikkelour.
Was it Duke's that you drank at?

Funnily enough I'm wearing my Mikkeller t-shirt today. I was out at his bars on Copenhagen in May - just simply phenomenal.

On Wednesday it was Brodie's Haggis Basher takeover in Edinburgh. Really good to get an extensive selection of Brodie's stuff up here. His Fruits of the Forest sour is just immense. Was very impressed with the Kiwi PA too.

I had my very first Pliny the Elder by Russian River last week. I can see why it has the reputation it does. Still not sure that it beats Stone Ruination for me if you're after an imperial though.

On the Scottish side of things, everything coming out of Cromarty just now is excellent.

Future17
12-07-2013, 11:14 AM
I concur I love Innis & Gunn, mostly bottles I drink but I have had the odd pint of draught.

Have you found anywhere that sells full pints? Anywhere I have seen it on draught, it's always half pints - I presume because of the strength.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-07-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm not a big real ale drinker, but, do enjoy a nice porter type pint now and again.

Don't get involved much during the summer, but, I do enjoy Orkney Dark Island, Black Paw Dark Seam, Mordue Workies Ticket and Batemans 4XB. Not had Batemans for years though, not sure it still exists.

Oh aye and Orkney Skull Splitter too, quite an apt name if imbibed to excess!

Sylar
12-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Despite having tried hundreds and hundreds of craft beers over the last couple of years, I think that if I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life then Sierra Nevade Pale Ale would be a genuine contender. So consistent, so refreshing and balanced, and despite Sierra Nevada being such a big brewery now, they have not compromised on quality.

Was it Duke's that you drank at?

Funnily enough I'm wearing my Mikkeller t-shirt today. I was out at his bars on Copenhagen in May - just simply phenomenal.

On Wednesday it was Brodie's Haggis Basher takeover in Edinburgh. Really good to get an extensive selection of Brodie's stuff up here. His Fruits of the Forest sour is just immense. Was very impressed with the Kiwi PA too.

I had my very first Pliny the Elder by Russian River last week. I can see why it has the reputation it does. Still not sure that it beats Stone Ruination for me if you're after an imperial though.

On the Scottish side of things, everything coming out of Cromarty just now is excellent.

It was, aye. They're probably the best bar in Dundee as far as I'm concerned with the array of beers (both craft and more well known) they have and they regularly rotate them.

I've not heard of a lot of the ones you've just ran off so it gives me some new ones to seek out :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
12-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Have you found anywhere that sells full pints? Anywhere I have seen it on draught, it's always half pints - I presume because of the strength.

Pretty sure I had a pint in the Canon's Gait though that was a couple of years back.

Calvin
12-07-2013, 11:35 AM
It was, aye. They're probably the best bar in Dundee as far as I'm concerned with the array of beers (both craft and more well known) they have and they regularly rotate them.

I've not heard of a lot of the ones you've just ran off so it gives me some new ones to seek out :greengrin
All of the Fuller Thomson pubs are really quite good. They had Lagunitas IPA on in their Edinburgh bars this week which suited me well - first time I've seen it for a wee while.

It's Edinburgh Independent Beer Festival this week. Probably the best week of the year to be in Edinburgh.

Future17
12-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Pretty sure I had a pint in the Canon's Gait though that was a couple of years back.

Fair shout - not been in there. Had half pints a few places. Apparently Malones is getting I&G on draught so will see what they offer.

hibsbollah
12-07-2013, 02:31 PM
All of the Fuller Thomson pubs are really quite good. They had Lagunitas IPA on in their Edinburgh bars this week which suited me well - first time I've seen it for a wee while.

It's Edinburgh Independent Beer Festival this week. Probably the best week of the year to be in Edinburgh.

The Hollyrood 9a is good for craft beer. It had a few of the other Sierra Nevada beers including The torpedo and their wheat beer not long ago. Not that far from Easter Road either.

hibbill2002
12-07-2013, 04:26 PM
15 cans of Carling for a tenner out of Sainsburys at Straiton. There's no many left, and I mean in the fridge here, plenty up at Straiton:greengrin

Pete
13-07-2013, 12:19 AM

Just spent the whole day in Dunbar with family (missing the match fortunately) and was introduced to this in can form.

This will be the stout of choice from now on. It has a subtle taste and goes down well yet isn't watery. Lovely ice cold too:thumbsup:

Haymaker
13-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Had sierra nevada last night, brilliant pint.

degenerated
13-07-2013, 02:32 PM
My fridge is typically full of warsteiner, bitburger, jever, augustiner, paulaner or something like that. You can't beat the crisp refreshing taste of a German bier on a hot summers day.
On the beer side of things I like a red cuillin, innes and gunn beers, the punk or hardcore ipa's by brewdog and most of the Williams bros stuff I've tasted.

Pretty Boy
13-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Had an Espresso Stout from some Japanese brewery last night.

Very pleasant.

Mr White
13-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Not that you'd think it from my avatar but I'm a big fan of tryst beers just now. Their hop trial varieties over the last couple of years have been fantastic. Other than that if I had to pick my top 3 favourite craft brews just now it would be kernels table beer, black isles yellowhammer and oakhams citra.

Mr Grieves
13-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Regularly drink-
Brewdog Punk IPA
Black isle blonde
Innis and gunn

There are some excellent Scottish beers around just now. As part of my job I occasionally test beer and had one in recently that was quite tasty, Knops Californian something or other, think it's a new brewery and I've not seen it around yet.

Mr White
13-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Regularly drink-
Brewdog Punk IPA
Black isle blonde
Innis and gunn

There are some excellent Scottish beers around just now. As part of my job I occasionally test beer and had one in recently that was quite tasty, Knops Californian something or other, think it's a new brewery and I've not seen it around yet. Californian common, was a style developed during the gold rush I think. They've been around a while but bob knops has just moved out to new premises at archerfield after previously brewing at TSA.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-07-2013, 04:15 PM
On a similar vein i noticed last night that Wetherspoons Cider Festival continues until next Sunday. Sampled a couple, Philospher probably the best and easy to drink although its around 6-6.5%

Mr Grieves
13-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Californian common, was a style developed during the gold rush I think. They've been around a while but bob knops has just moved out to new premises at archerfield after previously brewing at TSA.

That's the one! I hadn't heard of them before, nice beer.

Mr White
13-07-2013, 04:50 PM
That's the one! I hadn't heard of them before, nice beer.

Musselburgh broke and black cork are decent beers too, I think they're looking to expand now that they've moved to their own premises so id expect to see more of their beers appearing out and about now.

Scouse Hibee
13-07-2013, 06:03 PM
On a similar vein i noticed last night that Wetherspoons Cider Festival continues until next Sunday. Sampled a couple, Philospher probably the best and easy to drink although its around 6-6.5%

:agree: Sampled a few in Corstorphine this afternoon myself, nice to have some decent cider away from the mass produced ****** that I sometimes revert to on a sunny day.

Calvin
14-07-2013, 02:29 AM
Had an Espresso Stout from some Japanese brewery last night.

Very pleasant.

Hitachino Nest?

On the note of California Common, that's an alternative name for steam beer, of which Anchor Steam is the original and best example.

Currently drinking a Fantom Saison. Not a huge Belgian fan (Lambics excluded) but this has just enough sourness.

Steve-O
14-07-2013, 04:59 AM
Craft beer has really taken off in Wellington in the last couple of years and now I struggle to drink any of the mainstream beers (admittedly after a period of resistance, mainly due to the craft beers being pretty expensive - about $10 / £5 a 425ml glass is standard here). IPA's seem to be my favourites. A few good ones I've had are............

http://cdn.beerstore.com.au/sites/beerstore.com.au/files/imagecache/product/prod-img/epic-hop-zombie-beer-online-1309224571.jpghttp://static2.stuff.co.nz/1366540458/008/8579008.jpghttp://www.tuatarabrewing.co.nz/assets/Uploads/DoubleTroubleWebsite.png

Holmesdale Hibs
14-07-2013, 10:36 AM
London Pride is a lovely pint.

Rarely seen it here though.

Agree. My drink of choice. My fridge is well stocked and live in London so get it in a few locals.

Bombardier and Black Sheep also deserve a mention. Old Hookey is good as well.

I'm beginning to see Deuchars down south a bit more although the way some of the southerners pronounce it is hilarious: Doo-shaars, doychers... I've even been corrected by a bar maid for pronouncing it properly.

Calvin
14-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Craft beer has really taken off in Wellington in the last couple of years and now I struggle to drink any of the mainstream beers (admittedly after a period of resistance, mainly due to the craft beers being pretty expensive - about $10 / £5 a 425ml glass is standard here). IPA's seem to be my favourites. A few good ones I've had are............
Those sound pretty good, I'll look to get my hands on some. Shipping time is the only thing that holds us back from getting more NZ beers over here. Saying that, I'm reasonably familiar with Epic and 8wired, Rennaisance too.

NZ breweries have an advantage in my eyes in that they can use Nelson Sauvin, my favourite hop, as fresh as it comes.

Steve-O
14-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Those sound pretty good, I'll look to get my hands on some. Shipping time is the only thing that holds us back from getting more NZ beers over here. Saying that, I'm reasonably familiar with Epic and 8wired, Rennaisance too.

NZ breweries have an advantage in my eyes in that they can use Nelson Sauvin, my favourite hop, as fresh as it comes.

Yip, 8 Wired Tall Poppy is good, as is their Rewired, and Super Conductor (which I see is for sale via Brewdog's website, if you're interested). Epic is probably the one I go for most. Hop Zombie is great, and the Epic Pale Ale is good too. Liberty are another NZ brewery that have a few good ones, and there's also Croucher, as well as Parrotdog. Parrotdog Bloodhound is a really nice beer. I live about a 5 minute walk from both Parrotdog and Garage Project breweries and at both of them you can get beer fresh from the tap in a 2 litre bottle. :agree:

Do they have any of those NZ beers in the pubs in the UK?

Calvin
14-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Yip, 8 Wired Tall Poppy is good, as is their Rewired, and Super Conductor (which I see is for sale via Brewdog's website, if you're interested). Epic is probably the one I go for most. Hop Zombie is great, and the Epic Pale Ale is good too. Liberty are another NZ brewery that have a few good ones, and there's also Croucher, as well as Parrotdog. Parrotdog Bloodhound is a really nice beer. I live about a 5 minute walk from both Parrotdog and Garage Project breweries and at both of them you can get beer fresh from the tap in a 2 litre bottle. :agree:

Only 8wired and Epic. As far as 8 Wired goes, I've had Hopwired, Super Conductor, Tall Poppy, Saison Sauvin, ReWired and iStout in the BrewDog Aberdeen bar recently, but haven't seen Epic for a while. However I've never even heard of any of the others you mention. There's a possibility that they don't even ship or distribute to the UK but I'll keep an eye out for them in the bottle shops.

Mr White
14-07-2013, 04:48 PM

:agree: drinking a malinsons nelson sauvin just now, beautiful. I spent a couple of years in nz ten years ago and craft brewing was getting pretty big back then, I imagine there's some fantastic beers made there now, I'm going to keep am eye out for the ones you've mentioned.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Just found out that The Scottish Real Ale Festival has been on at The Corn Exchange all w-end, thats a bit of a blow, usually make an effort to attend on at least one of the days :-(

Calvin
15-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Does anyone else on here have Untappd?

Saorsa
15-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Just found out that The Scottish Real Ale Festival has been on at The Corn Exchange all w-end, thats a bit of a blow, usually make an effort to attend on at least one of the days :-(I was there on the Saturday :cheers:

Calvin
06-08-2013, 12:22 PM
So we've all had a teetotal few weeks? :greengrin

I can't get enough of Black Racer by Bear Republic just now. The new BrewDog AB:14 is really unique too so have been sampling a fair bit of it. Our collaboration with the aforementioned 8wired has launched too, but I'm really not a pilsner man.

It's the GBBF down in London next week and I'm very tempted to head down. Some of the American beers that they have on draft look simply amazing.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-08-2013, 04:21 PM
So we've all had a teetotal few weeks? :greengrin

I can't get enough of Black Racer by Bear Republic just now. The new BrewDog AB:14 is really unique too so have been sampling a fair bit of it. Our collaboration with the aforementioned 8wired has launched too, but I'm really not a pilsner man.

It's the GBBF down in London next week and I'm very tempted to head down. Some of the American beers that they have on draft look simply amazing.

I'm tempted to head along to the GBBF the night before the game at Wembley next week, looks worth a trip. I'm staying in Shoreditch though which makes it a bit of a trek!

Calvin
06-08-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm tempted to head along to the GBBF the night before the game at Wembley next week, looks worth a trip. I'm staying in Shoreditch though which makes it a bit of a trek!
I reckon you could get across London in half an hour, and will probably be worth it. Shame that they're still keg-sceptic. There are a few good beer bars in Shoreditch at least.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-08-2013, 04:35 PM
It opens to the public at 5pm I arrive in London early in the morning, I think the damage will already have been done by the time it opens!

I've read a lot about The Wenlock Arms near Old Street, might just pay that a visit instead.

Calvin
06-08-2013, 04:38 PM
It opens to the public at 5pm I arrive in London early in the morning, I think the damage will already have been done by the time it opens!

I've read a lot about The Wenlock Arms near Old Street, might just pay that a visit instead.
Ah of course. I think I have a trade ticket if I want it, and if I do I'll probably head down. Not so keen now I've realised the football's on though.

Wenlock Arms is quite traditional I think, although it's not a bar I've ever visited.

degenerated
06-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Tonight I shall mostly be drinking
And given I'm on holiday just now I might have quite a few :greengrin

Sylar
06-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Ah of course. I think I have a trade ticket if I want it, and if I do I'll probably head down. Not so keen now I've realised the football's on though.

Wenlock Arms is quite traditional I think, although it's not a bar I've ever visited.

You should take the ticket and give it to some welcoming fellow in the vicinity :greengrin

Calvin
07-08-2013, 02:27 AM
You should take the ticket and give it to some welcoming fellow in the vicinity :greengrin
Found out tonight that my boss has taken the ticket. Next time!

Pretty Boy
07-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Been necking a fair few pints of Avalanche by Fynes Ales recently, very nice.

Alright? and Cream Ale by Mikkeler werw also most enjoyable.

Pretty Boy
07-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Oh and Titan IPA by Great Divide. For those who like their hops!

Calvin
07-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Oh and Titan IPA by Great Divide. For those who like their hops!

If you like that then try Hercules, their IIPA. Their chocolate oak aged yeti stout is unreal too.

Hopefully I'll get to try the latest Mikkeller spontan series this week.

Godsahibby
07-08-2013, 10:20 AM
If you like your niche and obscure beers, my mate has just opened a new boozer at Abbeyhill (the old Station Bar) gone through a serious bit of renovation, kept some of the old features and re-opened as the Safari Lounge, loads of decent beers on draft and bottles.

Mr White
07-08-2013, 11:25 AM
If you like your niche and obscure beers, my mate has just opened a new boozer at Abbeyhill (the old Station Bar) gone through a serious bit of renovation, kept some of the old features and re-opened as the Safari Lounge, loads of decent beers on draft and bottles.

Was in before the malmo game, they've done a good job, had a pint of Houstons peters well. 3 cask ales, west and custom lager from belhaven on keg. Will be back there for sure, food was decent too :aok:

Steve-O
15-08-2013, 10:34 AM
These guys are very good too, from New Zealand. Had one tonight called "Oh, Brother", and IPA. Liberty Brewing Co. are the brewery, few of their beers pictured below. Can also get Brewdog on tap here now which I am pretty pleased about :agree:

http://hashigozake.co.nz/images/libertylineup.jpg

hibbybob
15-08-2013, 02:50 PM

Only seen this twice and neither was in Edinburgh. Absolutely loved it! Tesco have it in cans but it's just not the same.

Anybody know of any Edinburgh pubs that have Belhaven Black?

Pretty Boy
15-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Only seen this twice and neither was in Edinburgh. Absolutely loved it! Tesco have in in cans but it's just not the same.

The Worlds End has the cask version.

I tried McEwans Red the other day. Is this just a rebranding of Export? Because that's what it tastes like. Also tried Caledonian Three Hops Lager. Was ok but nothing special.

Jones28
16-08-2013, 07:07 AM
A couple recommendations guys: Game Bird by the Borders Brewery and Northern Light from Orkney. Couple of really nice ones and they're usually on tap if you're ever passing by Allanton!

Northernhibee
16-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Live very close to a Brewdog bar. Think it was only a one off but they had a rhubarb and demerara sugar porter that was brilliant.

Sylar
16-08-2013, 10:19 PM
I see Brewdog are doing a takeover of Dukes Corner in Dundee this weekend and I'm not there :(

Had a couple of pints of Kelpie last night which I was amazed to find on draft down here - love that stuff :thumbsup:

Gus
16-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Hobgoblin is a decent pint, brewed in my home town

Calvin
17-08-2013, 01:48 AM
Live very close to a Brewdog bar. Think it was only a one off but they had a rhubarb and demerara sugar porter that was brilliant.

Rhubarbarian? The Aberdeen bar did that before I worked there (so a long time ago!)

Hiber-nation
17-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Only seen this twice and neither was in Edinburgh. Absolutely loved it! Tesco have it in cans but it's just not the same.

The Leith Beer Co has it Bob, used to be the Waterline.

Koom
17-08-2013, 07:03 PM
just had a bottle of Iron Maidens "Trooper" ale....very nice..

hibbybob
18-08-2013, 08:50 AM
The Leith Beer Co has it Bob, used to be the Waterline.

Cheers, I'll give it a go.

Northernhibee
19-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Rhubarbarian? The Aberdeen bar did that before I worked there (so a long time ago!)

Possibly! Was fantastic anyway.

Calvin
28-08-2013, 10:23 AM
I've been all about Oskar Blues brewery from Colorado this past couple of weeks. I've tried 9 or 10 of their beers and never been disappointed. Their G'Knight red ale aged in Port barrels is one of the best beers I've had this year. Saying that, I'm going to an Evil Twin beer dinner on Friday so that could change yet!

Sylar
28-08-2013, 10:31 AM
I've been all about Oskar Blues brewery from Colorado this past couple of weeks. I've tried 9 or 10 of their beers and never been disappointed. Their G'Knight red ale aged in Port barrels is one of the best beers I've had this year. Saying that, I'm going to an Evil Twin beer dinner on Friday so that could change yet!

I really need to get back to Scotland - we don't get any exciting craft beers down here unless I head into London - plenty of local ales but I do miss having something like a Fuller Thompson on my doorstep.

Calvin
28-08-2013, 10:37 AM
I really need to get back to Scotland - we don't get any exciting craft beers down here unless I head into London - plenty of local ales but I do miss having something like a Fuller Thompson on my doorstep.
It's the same in most places though - up here I only ever drink at BrewDog even on my days off as even though most bars and pubs are beginning to latch onto craft beer a bit, still only have a very limited selection. Edinburgh and London are the only real exceptions to this in my experience.

However I suppose even the one FT or BrewDog bar is better than nothing at all! Is it mostly local cask stuff down there or do you get a decent kegged selection?

JohnStephens91
29-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Long White Cloud from the Tempest brewery is a thing of beauty, tastes a lot like grapefruit, fantastic beer. Another personal favourite of mine is Black Cork from Knops Brewery, I wrote an article on the revival of real ale when I was at university and, rather annoyingly, the guy I was writing the article with didn't spell my name right when it was put online! Here is a link to it and it explains what the Black Cork is: http://www.impulsemag-online.com/?p=3731 and it should be Stephens not Stevens :greengrin

Sylar
29-08-2013, 10:23 AM
It's the same in most places though - up here I only ever drink at BrewDog even on my days off as even though most bars and pubs are beginning to latch onto craft beer a bit, still only have a very limited selection. Edinburgh and London are the only real exceptions to this in my experience.

However I suppose even the one FT or BrewDog bar is better than nothing at all! Is it mostly local cask stuff down there or do you get a decent kegged selection?

Primarily local casked ales to be honest - we do get the odd gem kegs but it's mostly just really nice continental beers on tap rather than any craft beers (our local at the moment has Goesser, Leffe, Veltins and Weihenstephaner).

I found myself being excited the other day that our Union suddenly had Tiger on tap...

Scouse Hibee
30-08-2013, 01:29 PM
The term "craft beer" is it just a modern take on what used to be known as beer from micro breweries?

Treadstone
30-08-2013, 02:31 PM
The term "craft beer" is it just a modern take on what used to be known as beer from micro breweries?

With a knicker surcharge added for the hipster.

Calvin
30-08-2013, 04:25 PM

That's certainly part of it, but it's a broader term. I would certainly still class Sierra Nevada as craft beer despite their brewery being absolutely massive, and Goose Island are owned by InBev yet are still a craft brewer.

For me it comes down to ethos. Not making lowest common denominator stuff full of cost cutting measures and preservatives.

There are a lot of microbreweries that I wouldn't class as craft so while there's a lot of overlap, they're not interchangeable.

vein
31-08-2013, 09:34 PM
May have been mentioned already but there is a cracking wee beer shop at the shore beside the Sainsburys express. I try to pop in every few months to treat myself and try to pick up a few obscure beers I havent tried before.

Off the top of my head the best I have tried from there are Jaipur and Big Swell IPA. Love the Stewart beers with Radical Road being the one I've enjoyed the most. Also enjoy most of the Williams brothers beers, Good Times and Ceasar Augustus (Had to Google Ceasar Augustus as I couldnt remember the name and seen Grozet which was pretty nice too!) The one Williams brothers I just couldnt take to though was Roisin which is made with tayberries IIRC, that had stuff floating around in it which put me right off!

Tonight I'm currently drinking a bottle of Avalanche by Fyne Ales which is not bad. Went to Morrisons to get the fridge stocked up today with some Harviestoun Wild Hop IPA which is a favourite of mine, Sierra Nevada which I tried a few weeks ago after reading this thread and a couple of bottles of IPA to try, I think the name is Shepard Neame, will report back if its any good!

:cheers:

Pretty Boy
09-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Had a bottle of March of the Penguins by William Bros. Best stout I have ever tasted, lovely stuff, really brilliant.

Went straight back to the Beerhive and bought another 6 bottles.

Calvin
13-09-2013, 12:53 PM
It is Zwanze day tomorrow, pretty exciting!

Mr White
13-09-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm liking the 4 newish Williams- prodigal sun, hipsway, gonny no brew that and the honey thief.

Hiber-nation
13-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Only £1.32 a bottle in Tescos tonight for Northern Light, Raven Ale, Nimbus and reduced prices on most Williams Bros beers and many more :wink:

Mr White
13-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Only £1.32 a bottle in Tescos tonight for Northern Light, Raven Ale, Nimbus and reduced prices on most Williams Bros beers and many more :wink:

1.83 for black isles yellowhammer! Good value seeing that for less than 2 quid.

Pretty Boy
14-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Couple of pints of Harviestoun Natural Blonde last night.

Think it was good but the excessive whisky consumption that came later has left the memory a tad hazy.

Steve-O
14-09-2013, 11:06 PM
BrewDog is absolutely everywhere here in Wellington now. Not that I'm complaining, the Punk IPA is a nice bevvy.

Calvin
15-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Well the combination of Zwanze Day and my last night in Aberdeen has given me a hangover right up there with the best today. Must have drank 30+ beers last night, the pick of which was a Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws Barleywine from 2003!

snooky
17-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Belhaven Best (Scotland)
Peroni (Italy)
Keith's I.P.A. (NS, Canada)

Oh hell, I'm thirsty now. :greengrin

Mr White
29-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Looking forward to the opening of Growler on morningside road- they'll have a few casks, craft kegs and cider on for filling up 1, 2 or 3 litre bottles for off-sales only. Spoke to Stuart the guy running it briefly last week and he hopes to be open in the next few days. Seems a pretty good idea.

Calvin
29-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Looking forward to the opening of Growler on morningside road- they'll have a few casks, craft kegs and cider on for filling up 1, 2 or 3 litre bottles for off-sales only. Spoke to Stuart the guy running it briefly last week and he hopes to be open in the next few days. Seems a pretty good idea.

Sounds good, the options are expanding so rapidly in Edinburgh!

I went to The Kernel's brewery yesterday morning which was pretty cool. Then went to a wee pub for a gig last night whose two and bottle list was unexpectedly brilliant. Londoners really do have the right idea! Ended up with a Hackney Hopster by London Fields.

Lofarl
29-09-2013, 10:44 AM
If you like real ale, craft beers and hard to come by beers, you are well served on Easter Road. Cornelius at the top of the road is a shop I frequent often solely to buy Augustina Helles which is a personal fav. I stay in Blackburn and I often travel into Edinburgh just to buy a few bottles. But I usually pick up a few real ales and craft brews.

Down the road, you have the mash tun which is my pre/post match boozer due to their fantastic real ales and craft beer selections. Annoyingly Hearts/Celtic seem to take over that bar when we play them.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Had a few pints of Zig Zag Stout when I was down in Carlisle last w-end. Went down nicely, not sure who or where its brewed though.

Scouse Hibee
29-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Had a few pints of Zig Zag Stout when I was down in Carlisle last w-end. Went down nicely, not sure who or where its brewed though.

A couple of pubs in Liverpool sell it, not a bad pint brewed by Milk House/Street I think in Somerset.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-09-2013, 03:18 PM
That sounds familiar.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-10-2013, 02:28 PM
On The Williams Bros Midnight Sun in Wetherspoons on Sauchiehall Street, £1.90 a pint, cannae complain at that! 5.6% and it going down TOO nicely!

Mr White
07-10-2013, 02:46 PM
On The Williams Bros Midnight Sun in Wetherspoons on Sauchiehall Street, £1.90 a pint, cannae complain at that! 5.6% and it going down TOO nicely!

That's a bargain! One of favourite beers and they're practically giving it away! :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-10-2013, 03:41 PM
I think its called The Monday Club! :-)

Calvin
04-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Well I did enjoy my two months of sobriety but I just had a Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale which was pretty nice. A couple of my friends have been studying for their Certified Cicerone exam so I've been drinking a lot of Belgian and German styles with them lately but I just can't get into them. I've been brainwashed by hoppy beer!

Sylar
05-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Well I did enjoy my two months of sobriety but I just had a Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale which was pretty nice. A couple of my friends have been studying for their Certified Cicerone exam so I've been drinking a lot of Belgian and German styles with them lately but I just can't get into them. I've been brainwashed by hoppy beer!

Had that on tap in the restaurant I was in in Orlando last night and it was really nice!

Also tried Red Hook, Sam Adams Winter Ale and Blue Moon Rounder all on tap in the past week - a magic alternative to the usual draft pish you once got in the USA.

Scouse Hibee
06-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Had a session on Old Rosie cider in Wetherspoons: flat, cloudy, 7.3%.................great stuff!

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-12-2013, 01:08 PM
A very dangerous brew! :-)

lyonhibs
07-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Just back from the east coast of the USA. Drank a wide range of IPA's all of which were freaking delicious. Damned if I can remember their names though.

Sylar
07-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Just back from the east coast of the USA. Drank a wide range of IPA's all of which were freaking delicious. Damned if I can remember their names though.

I kept a note of them all on my phone - some truly lovely craft beers/ales out here.

Calvin
10-12-2013, 10:00 AM
I kept a note of them all on my phone - some truly lovely craft beers/ales out here.

Any particular highlights?

Steve-O
11-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Very nice one from Wellington last night. Craft beer has absolutely exploded in NZ now.

pacorosssco
12-12-2013, 12:01 AM
La choffe famous belgen tipple noo doing mc choffe a whiskey beer, i know mental

Sylar
12-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Any particular highlights?

Olde Pelican, which is brewed locally in Florida was very nice - quite similar to a Sierra Nevada.

Red Hook (brewed near Seattle) was very tasty indeed. Alewerks Pumpkin Ale, Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and Three Philosophers (Omme Gang Brewery I think?) were all absolutely superb.

Calvin
14-12-2013, 03:55 AM
Olde Pelican, which is brewed locally in Florida was very nice - quite similar to a Sierra Nevada.

Red Hook (brewed near Seattle) was very tasty indeed. Alewerks Pumpkin Ale, Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and Three Philosophers (Omme Gang Brewery I think?) were all absolutely superb.
I'll look out for them. Ommegang beers are the only ones I've tasted that you mentioned and I was pretty impressed, despite my general disillusionment with Belgian styles.

Scouse Hibee
14-12-2013, 10:16 AM
A decent selection of Christmas beers in Wetherspoons Sleigh Bell is my favourite at the moment.

Mr White
14-12-2013, 10:51 AM
A decent selection of Christmas beers in Wetherspoons Sleigh Bell is my favourite at the moment.

Drinking a pint of it in loyds just now, you're right, it's a lovely pint!

Mr White
15-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Went to the west brewery bar before and after the game yesterday. Had a good burger there and really enjoyed the wild west and dunkel beers. Would definitely go back next time I'm through there.

Scouse Hibee
15-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Drinking a pint of it in loyds just now, you're right, it's a lovely pint!

:thumbsup:

yeezus.
17-12-2013, 07:41 PM
I used to drink Boddingtons at the student bar (the Watering hole) at Aberdeen uni. Now I'm back in Stranraer I can't find that beer anywhere!

lyonhibs
19-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Went to a beer bar here in Zurich and had some beer from the USA that was comically named (involved a squirrel in the name I'm sure) but was absolutely delicious. A fabulous colour as well.

Makes one wonder what the **** I was up to from ages 17-20 drinking Carling and Fosters :no way:

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Had a few pints of Williams Bros March of the Penguins a couple of days ago @ Lloyds in The Omni Centre, very nice pint.

degenerated
23-12-2013, 05:18 PM
I had a few pints of brew dogs prototype beer hobo pop the other night. Very impressive indeed.

I have a case of Paulaner Oktoberfest bier to enjoy over the festive, looking forward to cracking the first one open tonight.

Mr White
23-12-2013, 05:28 PM
I had a few pints of brew dogs prototype beer hobo pop the other night. Very impressive indeed.

I had a bottle of that on friday, very nice, enjoy the German beer over christmas, ive gone for a stockpile of ales from asda for 1.25 for the next few days,nothing fancy,Keeping it simple :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-12-2013, 07:53 PM
I had a bottle of that on friday, very nice, enjoy the German beer over christmas, ive gone for a stockpile of ales from asda for 1.25 for the next few days,nothing fancy,Keeping it simple :thumbsup:

Just had a wee look at the ASDA website, some not bad offers on there. I really try to avoid drinking in the house if I can though.

Mr White
23-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Just had a wee look at the ASDA website, some not bad offers on there. I really try to avoid drinking in the house if I can though.

I know what you mean and a few of my mates are the same but my theory is it's better for all of us (me wife & son) if I'm at home and half pished rather than out and fully pished. Plus its cheaper too :greengrin:

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-12-2013, 09:59 PM
I know what you mean and a few of my mates are the same but my theory is it's better for all of us (me wife & son) if I'm at home and half pished rather than out and fully pished. Plus its cheaper too :greengrin:

I've not got such responsibilities to consider! :greengrin

Pretty Boy
23-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Seven Giraffes and Good Times both by William Bros for me tonight. Very nice.

Got a bottle of spice orange Edinburgh Gin to get stuck into tomorrow.

Rossco1875
24-12-2013, 01:34 PM
A few of my favourites at the moment are Black Isle Yellowhammer, Cairngorm Tradewinds, A few of the Alchemey beers and Williams brothers.

Good pub on our very door step at Easter Road for Real ales is the Mash Tun.

Pretty Boy
24-12-2013, 01:52 PM
A few of my favourites at the moment are Black Isle Yellowhammer, Cairngorm Tradewinds, A few of the Alchemey beers and Williams brothers.

Good pub on our very door step at Easter Road for Real ales is the Mash Tun.

The Mash Tun is excellent with staff that know their stuff. I was in on Saturday and got a pint that was quite clearly near the end of the cask so it wasn't quite right. Asked to change it and it was done no bother at all. Try that is some pubs and the bar staff will argue to the death until the cask runs out about a pint and half later to prove you right.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Quaffing a pint or two of Righteous Ale (American Craft Beer) in AGB's. 6.3%, so better watch what I'm doing! :-)

Tastes even stronger, a pint or two then on to something else methinks!

hibsbollah
24-12-2013, 02:49 PM
I am thoroughly enjoying sweet and flowery Birds and the Bees over the festive period. Normally considered a summer drink but who cares :greengrin

Mr White
24-12-2013, 03:29 PM
I am thoroughly enjoying sweet and flowery Birds and the Bees over the festive period. Normally considered a summer drink but who cares :greengrin

My favourite williams brew :aok: good all year round imo, i love elderflower in beer.

deeks01
24-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Got myself a nice 6 pack of Bacchus Fromboziabiere (very doubtful that is correctly typed but I cannot be bothered checking the label) to do me tomorrow! A lovely raspberry flavoured Belgian beer. Not my normal kind of beer but tried a bottle of it on a night out in Carlisle & fair enjoyed it so thought I'd go for something different!

Me & my mate have a Brew Dog beer in for hogmanay. Comes in a tiny wee 30CL bottle so we plan to slip one each of it in our pockets and have it at the bells. It is called Watt Dickie Ice Distilled Beer. It is lethal sounding but hey... it's hogmanay.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Pretty Boy
24-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Got myself a nice 6 pack of Bacchus Fromboziabiere (very doubtful that is correctly typed but I cannot be bothered checking the label) to do me tomorrow! A lovely raspberry flavoured Belgian beer. Not my normal kind of beer but tried a bottle of it on a night out in Carlisle & fair enjoyed it so thought I'd go for something different!

Me & my mate have a Brew Dog beer in for hogmanay. Comes in a tiny wee 30CL bottle so we plan to slip one each of it in our pockets and have it at the bells. It is called Watt Dickie Ice Distilled Beer. It is lethal sounding but hey... it's hogmanay.

The Watt Dickie stuff is really nice. It's meant to be treated as a spirit so I tried it neat, with a touch of water and with a couple of cubes of ice. Definitely best with the ice imo.

deeks01
26-12-2013, 12:20 PM
The Watt Dickie stuff is really nice. It's meant to be treated as a spirit so I tried it neat, with a touch of water and with a couple of cubes of ice. Definitely best with the ice imo.

I did not know that, thanks! We were just going to drink it straight as it is beer (even if it is 'ice distilled') but wasn't sure it'd be particularly pleasant given the strength of it! Will try it with ice & water as you say, like I would a good malt whisky.

Mr White
26-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Enjoyed a good days drinking yesterday and have concluded that the best bottled ale to accompany a single malt is bitter and twisted. Got many I prefer more in their own right but b&t proved to be a fine partner to a wee glenrothes select reserve.

Hiber-nation
26-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Seven Giraffes and Good Times both by William Bros for me tonight. Very nice.

Got a bottle of spice orange Edinburgh Gin to get stuck into tomorrow.

Got a Williams Bros pack yesterday, plus a few others...still got a few left! Some cracking beers, Birds & Bees is first up today :wink:

vein
31-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Got a 5 litre mini keg of Stewart pentland ipa to see the bells in tonight. First pint went down nicely :-)

SneakersO'Toole
04-01-2014, 09:54 AM
For those that like Belhaven Black, had 7 pints of this wonderful heaven in a glass yesterday in the Safari Lounge at Abbeyhill.

What a transformation this place has had incidentally. Excellent food also. Thoroughly recommend a visit.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-01-2014, 10:14 AM
For those that like Belhaven Black, had 7 pints of this wonderful heaven in a glass yesterday in the Safari Lounge at Abbeyhill.

What a transformation this place has had incidentally. Excellent food also. Thoroughly recommend a visit.

Certainly has changed for the better as has The Artisan.

Aldo
04-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Certainly has changed for the better as has The Artisan.

God it's been a long long time since I have been in there.

lyonhibs
13-01-2014, 03:20 PM

Saw the new version for the 1st time when I was back at home at Xmas. What a transformation. The old place looked so dingy it was a constant butt of jokes amongst my mates.

Scouse Hibee
29-01-2014, 07:43 PM
The Corry Inn had Westons cider as a guest cider last night great stuff, managed to sink many pints of it while watching Liverpool pump Everton.

Mr White
29-01-2014, 08:39 PM
The Corry Inn had Westons cider as a guest cider last night great stuff, managed to sink many pints of it while watching Liverpool pump Everton.

Is that about 7%? How was your head this morning? :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
30-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Is that about 7%? How was your head this morning? :greengrin

Not sure how strong it was, head was fine. I seem to be immune to sore heads when drinking cider, if I had drank the equivalant in bog standard lager it would have been banging!

Pretty Boy
30-01-2014, 03:05 PM
My girlfriends old man sent me a few bottles last week. Pick of the bunch were:

Jennings Bitter
Jenning Cockerhoop
Brakspear Oxford Gold
Wainwright Golden Ale

Cropley10
30-01-2014, 03:44 PM
The Cork & Cask on Marchmont Rd sells every Scottish bottled beer. There's a micro brewery from Kelso called Tempest who do some amazing beers, Brave New World being one. Worth a browse if you're round that way.

Aldo
30-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Was drinking McEwans Champions Ale 7% plus. That and Jokers IPA. Very refreshing.

Mr White
30-01-2014, 08:17 PM
The Cork & Cask on Marchmont Rd sells every Scottish bottled beer. There's a micro brewery from Kelso called Tempest who do some amazing beers, Brave New World being one. Worth a browse if you're round that way.

If you like tempest beers growler on Morningside rd always has a couple of their beers in the cask that they fill up into 1,2 or 3 litre bottles, works out a bit cheaper than the bottle shops.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-01-2014, 10:16 PM
I was in The Vintage earlier, wide choice of beers, a tad costly though.

The Pointer
01-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Haven't trawled through the whole thread to see if anyone's mentioned my favourites but Jarl by Fyne Ales is the dug's baws and as refreshing an outburst of fruit as it's possible to get. Try especially on a hot summer's day! Others are Hurricane Jack and Avalanche by the same brewery and Black IPA and Edinburgh Gold by Stewarts and Punk IPA by Brewdog.

Only thing that cheeses me off is the price, which I can appreciate with the smaller breweries, but such as Brewdog are making decent quantities of the stuff yet the price of a 30cl bottle can be the same or more than larger bottles from other smaller breweries.

Mikey
22-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Haven't trawled through the whole thread to see if anyone's mentioned my favourites but Jarl by Fyne Ales is the dug's baws and as refreshing an outburst of fruit as it's possible to get. Try especially on a hot summer's day! Others are Hurricane Jack and Avalanche by the same brewery and Black IPA and Edinburgh Gold by Stewarts and Punk IPA by Brewdog.

Only thing that cheeses me off is the price, which I can appreciate with the smaller breweries, but such as Brewdog are making decent quantities of the stuff yet the price of a 30cl bottle can be the same or more than larger bottles from other smaller breweries.

Funny you should say that, Jarl is just about my least favourite pint. You would be cheaper just pouring some washing up liquid into a glass and downing it :greengrin

Tonight's tipples for me are.......

Maclays 56 shilling, 6.9% - 5/10

......and Brewdog Brixton Porter, 5.0 % - 5/10

I'm very strict with my scoring so 5/10 isn't too bad :greengrin

Mikey
22-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Just for info............

Scottish Real Ale Festival 2014
10-13th July (provisional)
Edinburgh Corn Exchange, New Market Rd.

Calvin
22-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Funny you should say that, Jarl is just about my least favourite pint. You would be cheaper just pouring some washing up liquid into a glass and downing it :greengrin

Tonight's tipples for me are.......

Maclays 56 shilling, 6.9% - 5/10

......and Brewdog Brixton Porter, 5.0 % - 5/10

I'm very strict with my scoring so 5/10 isn't too bad :greengrin

If you get your hands on one of the other prototypes, Interstellar, then you're in for a treat.

I had Jarl on keg for the first time this week and thought it was decent! It was on at the same time as Tempest Long White Cloud though so was made to look bad.

degenerated
23-02-2014, 10:51 AM
If you get your hands on one of the other prototypes, Interstellar, then you're in for a treat.

I had Jarl on keg for the first time this week and thought it was decent! It was on at the same time as Tempest Long White Cloud though so was made to look bad.

I had one of the other prototypes, hobo pop. It was damn decent stuff.

MSK
23-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Do any of you lot do home brew ..?..

Pretty Boy
26-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Belhaven are about to launch a 'craft' range.

5 beers in all. Tried 4 the other day: An IPA, a lager, a stout and I can't remember the other. The IPA was ok and the stout was very good (and gave a nice glow at 7.2%).

The 5th, which the rep didn't have for sampling, was aged in Speyside whisky casks.

Mr White
26-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Belhaven are about to launch a 'craft' range.

5 beers in all. Tried 4 the other day: An IPA, a lager, a stout and I can't remember the other. The IPA was ok and the stout was very good (and gave a nice glow at 7.2%).

The 5th, which the rep didn't have for sampling, was aged in Speyside whisky casks.
Interesting. Should be quite widely available in the pubs they own I take it? I quite like the current ipa they do, pretty similar to deuchers and a decent option in some places where beer choice is otherwise limited to lager.

Mr White
01-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Do any of you lot do home brew ..?..

It's never appealed to me GH, got a few mates who have produced some cracking beers (ones a professional so only to be expected) but I've never fancied the hassle tbh. I'd drink it way faster if I had loads sat in the house and also for the same reason I'm not too interested in learning to cook really well- I don't want to lose the mystery of not knowing how the professionals produce something I enjoy. Could save a fair bit of cash though...

Mikey
02-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Had friends round yesterday and we sampled.......

London Porter, 5.5%
St Peter's Mild, 3.7%
Einstock Icelandic Toasted Porter, 6.0%
Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout, 5.5%
Profanity Stout, 7.0%

They were all pretty good and I would have them again.

Tempest Chipotle Porter, 5.6% - Too spicy for me. Spicy food aye, spicy beer naw!!

Tempest Red Eye Flight Mocha Porter, 7.4% - OK, but a bit strong for my liking. You could taste the strength in it and that's not always good.

Greenwich Smoked Bock Beer, 6.0% - Dreadful stuff :greengrin

And a bottle or two of Anchor Steam which is one of my favourites.

And I don't have a sore head :greengrin

Mr White
02-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Had friends round yesterday and we sampled.......

London Porter, 5.5%
St Peter's Mild, 3.7%
Einstock Icelandic Toasted Porter, 6.0%
Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout, 5.5%
Profanity Stout, 7.0%

They were all pretty good and I would have them again.

Tempest Chipotle Porter, 5.6% - Too spicy for me. Spicy food aye, spicy beer naw!!

Tempest Red Eye Flight Mocha Porter, 7.4% - OK, but a bit strong for my liking. You could taste the strength in it and that's not always good.

Greenwich Smoked Bock Beer, 6.0% - Dreadful stuff :greengrin

And a bottle or two of Anchor Steam which is one of my favourites.

And I don't have a sore head :greengrin

Had a pint of the Chipotle porter last Christmas. I didn't have a second, couldn't help thinking the chile ruined an otherwise excellent beer.

Mikey
02-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Had a pint of the Chipotle porter last Christmas. I didn't have a second, couldn't help thinking the chile ruined an otherwise excellent beer.

I thought that both Tempest beers were just trying too hard to be different.

Mr White
02-03-2014, 01:21 PM
I thought that both Tempest beers were just trying too hard to be different.

Didn't really enjoy the red eye mocha porter either actually whereas their paler efforts like long white cloud and face with no name have always been much more enjoyable. There was a 2.8% tempest in growler last time I was in that was pretty good too. Ball park perhaps?

MSK
02-03-2014, 07:22 PM
It's never appealed to me GH, got a few mates who have produced some cracking beers (ones a professional so only to be expected) but I've never fancied the hassle tbh. I'd drink it way faster if I had loads sat in the house and also for the same reason I'm not too interested in learning to cook really well- I don't want to lose the mystery of not knowing how the professionals produce something I enjoy. Could save a fair bit of cash though...A colleague does home brew ..a novice he admits but kits nowadays are far more simpler ..as in measure your water ..make sure everything is steralised ..add the ingredients ...wait ..then syphon ..5 weeks later ..yer brew ..:party: ..most things are pre measured & pre packed nowadays ..all it needs is a bit TLC ..:agree:

My work colleague a (novice) is buying kits that produce 40 pints for the eqv of 25p a pint ..once you have the kit then the world is yer oyster ..:agree:

Mr White
02-03-2014, 07:36 PM
A colleague does home brew ..a novice he admits but kits nowadays are far more simpler ..as in measure your water ..make sure everything is steralised ..add the ingredients ...wait ..then syphon ..5 weeks later ..yer brew ..:party: ..most things are pre measured & pre packed nowadays ..all it needs is a bit TLC ..:agree:

My work colleague a (novice) is buying kits that produce 40 pints for the eqv of 25p a pint ..once you have the kit then the world is yer oyster ..:agree:

Yeah I've been very impressed by some beers that friends have made from kits, a lot of them I would never have guessed were home brewed if I hadn't known. And it's undoubtedly cost effective but I can't keep beer in the house and not drink it every night so it'd be pretty disastrous for my liver if I brewed my own:greengrin

MSK
02-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Yeah I've been very impressed by some beers that friends have made from kits, a lot of them I would never have guessed were home brewed if I hadn't known. And it's undoubtedly cost effective but I can't keep beer in the house and not drink it every night so it'd be pretty disastrous for my liver if I brewed my own:greengrinMines would be in a shed outside ...however ..working in Diagnostic Radiology day in day out ..you have a point regards the liver ...aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhh !!!!! :drunk:

Mr White
02-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Mines would be in a shed outside ...however ..working in Diagnostic Radiology day in day out ..you have a point regards the liver ...aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhh !!!!! :drunk:

You going to take the plunge? I see there's a big home brew supply shop now up on newington road, I believe it's the reincarnation of the wee one that used to be on the corner of Elgin terrace and edina st? that could be wrong though.

The_Exile
02-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Taken a wee shine to Peroni, but actually can't believe the price, how come it's so expensive? Is it handmade it someone's kitchen in Italy?!! An Italian buddy of mine has mentioned a few times that a lager called Moretti (sp?) is a helluva lot more popular in Italy than Peroni is, although I've never heard of it, more of an ale drinker really!

MSK
02-03-2014, 08:25 PM
You going to take the plunge? I see there's a big home brew supply shop now up on newington road, I believe it's the reincarnation of the wee one that used to be on the corner of Elgin terrace and edina st? that could be wrong though.Will need another wee shed..however that has been passed wi the Wife :greengrin..the brew shop you mention has had rave reviews ..the first one I ever remember was the wee shop nearby the Corrie Inn ..put it simply ..why spend £sssss in a boozer when ye can spend & enjoy pretty much the same stuff doing it yersel at a fraction o the price ..:wink:

MSK
02-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Taken a wee shine to Peroni, but actually can't believe the price, how come it's so expensive? Is it handmade it someone's kitchen in Italy?!! An Italian buddy of mine has mentioned a few times that a lager called Moretti (sp?) is a helluva lot more popular in Italy than Peroni is, although I've never heard of it, more of an ale drinker really!Speciality imported beer/lager ..you may pay that bit more for imported but sometimes its worth paying ..:agree:

Mr White
02-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Will need another wee shed..however that has been passed wi the Wife :greengrin..the brew shop you mention has had rave reviews ..the first one I ever remember was the wee shop nearby the Corrie Inn ..put it simply ..why spend £sssss in a boozer when ye can spend & enjoy pretty much the same stuff doing it yersel at a fraction o the price ..:wink:

Removing the social aspect of drinking whilst increasing the rate of consumption? Your gp might not approve :tee hee:

Scouse Hibee
02-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Taken a wee shine to Peroni, but actually can't believe the price, how come it's so expensive? Is it handmade it someone's kitchen in Italy?!! An Italian buddy of mine has mentioned a few times that a lager called Moretti (sp?) is a helluva lot more popular in Italy than Peroni is, although I've never heard of it, more of an ale drinker really!

Moretti is far more popular in Italy, have seen it in Sainsburys but never tried it.

Peroni was introduced with a high price tag and it worked. Sometimes a great marketing ploy to introduce a new product to the market and price it much higher than it's competitors, it's target market accepted it so it was a winner.

Pretty Boy
02-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Cairngorm Wildcat for me tonight. Pretty decent stuff.

Also had a pint of Williams Joker IPA on keg rather than cask. I'll admit to being a bit of a keg sceptic but this was definitely better from the keg.

The_Exile
02-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Will try Moretti, apparently you can get a 660ml bottle in Tesco for £1.60 something, may buy 6 bottles just to be sure!!

Mr White
02-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Moretti is far more popular in Italy, have seen it in Sainsburys but never tried it.

Peroni was introduced with a high price tag and it worked. Sometimes a great marketing ploy to introduce a new product to the market and price it much higher than it's competitors, it's target market accepted it so it was a winner.

a mate told me about this

www.thefreelibrary.com (http://www.thefreelibrary.com/TRENDIEST+TIPPLE+FOR+ITALIANS%3B+Scots+super-beer's+a+fashion+favourite.-a0108259375)
www.bitterwallet.com/italians-drink-like-scottish-tramps (http://www.bitterwallet.com/italians-drink-like-scottish-tramps/63756)

quite staggering that tennents super is viewed rather differently in italy. Quality headline too.

MSK
02-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Removing the social aspect of drinking whilst increasing the rate of consumption? Your gp might not approve :tee hee::greengrin aye ..tae a point ..but ..me & big bro are competitive & like tae get wired intae Tig Woods or whatever (we aint golfers) so ..a few bottled ales at pretty much zero price ..efty sesh ..total plan ..win win ...:greengrin

Mr White
02-03-2014, 10:05 PM
:greengrin aye ..tae a point ..but ..me & big bro are competitive & like tae get wired intae Tig Woods or whatever (we aint golfers) so ..a few bottled ales at pretty much zero price ..efty sesh ..total plan ..win win ...:greengrin

Nice one, all the best with it :aok: I've tried a home brew that was made with a black jelly bean in each bottle instead of the sugar lozenge that come as part of some kits. Gave the beer a slight aniseed flavour. No doubt there are other wee tweaks and alterations to be found on brewing forums to customise the beer.

poolman
06-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Just sampling " Birds & Bees 4.3 % brewed by Williams in Alloa

A lovely ale

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-03-2014, 09:37 PM
:greengrin aye ..tae a point ..but ..me & big bro are competitive & like tae get wired intae Tig Woods or whatever (we aint golfers) so ..a few bottled ales at pretty much zero price ..efty sesh ..total plan ..win win ...:greengrin

I remember when we were doing a spot of al fresco drinking before the Scotland game in Bari a lot of the locals were on the Tennents Super Lager, was quite amusing to see.

Calvin
06-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Had a Stronzo MacLovin last night which was superb.

Just polished off a Beavertown Bloody 'Ell which I'll certainly look to get more of.

Sylar
07-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Was in a pub in London last night and had a pint of Robinson's Trooper and a pint of Allsop Ale, both lovely.

Moretti is nicer than Peroni IMO - father in law drinks it whenever we go out for dinner at their local Italian in Lanark.

MSK
07-03-2014, 06:02 PM
I remember when we were doing a spot of al fresco drinking before the Scotland game in Bari a lot of the locals were on the Tennents Super Lager, was quite amusing to see.Super was very popular in parts of France at one time (not sure if it still is) was served in half pint or wine glasses & was a decent tipple with a meal ..:agree:

Mr White
07-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Super was very popular in parts of France at one time (not sure if it still is) was served in half pint or wine glasses & was a decent tipple with a meal ..:agree:

It's weird how the same product can be viewed so very differently between different places!

degenerated
07-03-2014, 07:48 PM

You'll get birra moretti in most supermarkets. It's usually £4 for four bottles. I prefer it to the peroni nastro azurro, I do however quite like the standard peroni with the red label.

I had a few bottles of cerveza pacifico Clara the other night, made by the same mob that make corona but this one actually had a taste. Quite malty but not too bad.

Tonight's choices are, cause the fridge is running empty are warsteiner or pilsner urquell.

degenerated
07-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Will need another wee shed..however that has been passed wi the Wife :greengrin..the brew shop you mention has had rave reviews ..the first one I ever remember was the wee shop nearby the Corrie Inn ..put it simply ..why spend £sssss in a boozer when ye can spend & enjoy pretty much the same stuff doing it yersel at a fraction o the price ..:wink:

I was looking that home brew store website and think I might invest in their Oktoberfest starter kit at 50 notes.

Pretty Boy
07-03-2014, 08:36 PM
It's weird how the same product can be viewed so very differently between different places!

It's the same with regular Tennents as well.

It's reputation here is so so but I've had Germans and Czechs come into my work and absolutely rave about how good it is.

MSK
07-03-2014, 08:39 PM
I was looking that home brew store website and think I might invest in their Oktoberfest starter kit at 50 notes.I need tae invest in my garden shed (brewery) first ..:greengrin

Mr White
07-03-2014, 09:25 PM
355ml bottles of shipyard blue fin stout only £1 in morrisons. Nice.

MSK
07-03-2014, 09:31 PM
355ml bottles of shipyard blue fin stout only £1 in morrisons. Nice.Good shout SS ..may have a looky if Im near Morrisons ...:aok:....Ive just got a thing for Deuchars IPA at the moment ..that or Caledonian 80" ..brilliant brews ..oh ..& if ye haven't sampled Belhaven Black stout ..defo worth a gargle ..:aok:

Mr White
08-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Good shout SS ..may have a looky if Im near Morrisons ...:aok:....Ive just got a thing for Deuchars IPA at the moment ..that or Caledonian 80" ..brilliant brews ..oh ..& if ye haven't sampled Belhaven Black stout ..defo worth a gargle ..:aok:

Think I had a pint of it a while back, might pick up a few cans of it next time I'm shopping. It's nearing the end of stout season for me :greengrin

Steve-O
09-03-2014, 10:08 PM
This lot are doing a 40 tap takeover in 2 pubs in Wellington this Thursday. Best brewery in the world according to many...soon find oot!

http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/5/0/e/8/600_275120712.jpeg

Calvin
09-03-2014, 10:12 PM
This lot are doing a 40 tap takeover in 2 pubs in Wellington this Thursday. Best brewery in the world according to many...soon find oot!

40 TAP!? Seriously? I am immensely jealous. Ruination is still one of my favourite IPAs. Also worth looking out for are w00tstout and their smoked porter with vanilla.

I didn't know that they had 40 beers.

Steve-O
09-03-2014, 10:24 PM
40 TAP!? Seriously? I am immensely jealous. Ruination is still one of my favourite IPAs. Also worth looking out for are w00tstout and their smoked porter with vanilla.

I didn't know that they had 40 beers.

I'm not sure if there are 40 different beers, but they are definitely taking over 40 taps. So some of their more popular ones may be on 5-10 taps.

edit - https://www.facebook.com/events/1412281692360842/?fref=ts

Just looked here and apparently 45 beers on 50 taps! :cb

Pretty Boy
09-03-2014, 10:27 PM
2 pints and 2 bottles of Bitter & Twisted tonight.

Been mentioned many times before on this thread but a truly brilliant beer.

Mikey
15-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Just opened a bottle of Midnight Sun. One of my favourite brews :greengrin

After that it's Deuchars or Directors............

Calvin
15-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Just went to Musselburgh Tesco to stock up on Libertine Black Ale but as there were only two bottles left I've opted to start the evening with a Pilsner Urquell.

I think it's about 2 years since I drank a full lager!

Mr White
15-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Tryst brockville pale for me. A shining light at the end of an otherwise grim day for me golf, football and betting-wise:greengrin

Steve-O
21-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Apparently this stuff is available in Wetherspoons at the minute. All the way from New Zealand. We pay the equivalent of 5-6 quid for 420ml. I believe Wetherspoons are doing it for less than 2 quid a pint! Get down there and have 10 pints while you can! It's very good :agree:

http://brewersguild.org.nz/sites/default/files/imagecache/Main_Photo/yeastie-boys-gunnamatta.jpg

sleeping giant
22-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Just bought some Leffe Bloom tonight from Asda and I must say I'm very disappointed.
Had this in Belgium on draught but these bottles taste nothing like I remember.

Scouse Hibee
22-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Just bought some Leffe Bloom tonight from Asda and I must say I'm very disappointed.
Had this in Belgium on draught but these bottles taste nothing like I remember.

Maybe you were smoking something different in Belgium that altered your taste buds :wink:

sleeping giant
22-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Maybe you were smoking something different in Belgium that altered your taste buds :wink:

Does Belgium do coffee shops like Amsterdam ?
If so , wish i knew:greengrin

Stayed in an ex monastery and the only beer was Leffe Blonde and Leffe Ruby.
Loved it. It was the only beer that has ever got me drunk from the feet up :greengrin

Pretty Boy
22-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Couple of bottles from York Brewery that I picked up last week during a pit stop before Cheltenham.

Guzzler is a really decent 4% session beer. Light, dry and malty.

Ghost Ale is ok. 5.4%, very dark and tastes a bit like roasted coffee.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-03-2014, 02:08 PM
I see Wetherspoons are having an international beer festival which starts on Friday (I think), some interesting brews on offer.

Scouse Hibee
23-03-2014, 05:11 PM
I see Wetherspoons are having an international beer festival which starts on Friday (I think), some interesting brews on offer.

The White Lady here I come :greengrin

Steve-O
26-03-2014, 07:16 AM

See my post #191, that is one of the beers :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Aye, I've got the beer list in the house, should be good.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-03-2014, 01:30 PM
I find myself in Glasgow today, The Allison Arms near Shawlands doesnae look much from outside, but, its nice enough inside and must have a range of about 100 different bottled craft beers, reasonably priced too!

Scouse Hibee
28-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Have started my Wetherspoon's beer festival experience with Sir Ryan from a brewery in Leicester, very good especially at £2.15 a pint!

Sylar
31-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Ended up at a new restaurant in Dundee with the Wife tonight and they had both Heveleer and Anchor Steam (!!!) on tap.

Anchor is easily my favourite beer but it's almost impossible to get (apart from San Fran, where it's everywhere!).

Aldo
01-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Ended up at a new restaurant in Dundee with the Wife tonight and they had both Heveleer and Anchor Steam (!!!) on tap. Anchor is easily my favourite beer but it's almost impossible to get (apart from San Fran, where it's everywhere!).

Had that when I was in San Fran 10 years ago with a sour dough chowder boy it was good. In fact one nite at a club called 'Bottom of the Hill' I drank loads of different local stuff and ended up walking back to hotel... In broad daylight. I was rough

Scouse Hibee
05-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Apparently this stuff is available in Wetherspoons at the minute. All the way from New Zealand. We pay the equivalent of 5-6 quid for 420ml. I believe Wetherspoons are doing it for less than 2 quid a pint! Get down there and have 10 pints while you can! It's very good :agree:

http://brewersguild.org.nz/sites/default/files/imagecache/Main_Photo/yeastie-boys-gunnamatta.jpg

Finally got round to this one today, nothing special IMO maybe it doesn't travel well :greengrin

pacorosssco
06-04-2014, 12:32 AM
Finally got round to this one today, nothing special IMO maybe it doesn't travel well :greengrin

Gosser and sproni decent in budapest 1.50 a go

Steve-O
08-04-2014, 10:01 AM

:faint:

Calvin
08-04-2014, 10:03 AM
:faint:

Is it one of those Wetherspoons festivals where foreign brewers come over and brew a beer at a UK brewery so that Wetherspoons can sell it on cask?

I've heard good things about the Yeastie Boys but not yet been able to sample their stuff.

Mikey
12-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Ended up at a new restaurant in Dundee with the Wife tonight and they had both Heveleer and Anchor Steam (!!!) on tap.

Anchor is easily my favourite beer but it's almost impossible to get (apart from San Fran, where it's everywhere!).

Anchor Steam in bottles in creeping in. I've seen it in Mathers at the top of Broughton Street and in the Mash Tun.

I managed to get a case of 24 in Makro for 23 quid. It was incorrectly priced and should have been 32 quid :greengrin

Anyway, tonight's tipples are Stewarts 80 shilling in the Stable Bar and a bottle of Directors at home.

On the subject of the Stable Bar, the way the staff were talking it sounds like it's closing down.

Sylar
12-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Anchor Steam in bottles in creeping in. I've seen it in Mathers at the top of Broughton Street and in the Mash Tun.

I managed to get a case of 24 in Makro for 23 quid. It was incorrectly priced and should have been 32 quid :greengrin

Anyway, tonight's tipples are Stewarts 80 shilling in the Stables Bar and a bottle of Directors at home.

On the subject of the Stable Bar, the way the staff were talking it sounds like it's closing down.

Luvians in St Andrews used to do the bottles but it's an incredibly rare thing to find it on tap outside the USA (or more specifically, California).

Apparently, there's a pub near Clapham Junction that has it on tap along with an impressive array of other beers, so a trip looms large in the summer!

Calvin
12-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Luvians in St Andrews used to do the bottles but it's an incredibly rare thing to find it on tap outside the USA (or more specifically, California).

Apparently, there's a pub near Clapham Junction that has it on tap along with an impressive array of other beers, so a trip looms large in the summer!
Anchor are distributed by James Clay who have quite a big deal with them I think, so don't be surprised to see Steam, Porter and California Lager on tap in more and more places.

degenerated
13-04-2014, 06:48 PM
That's my Oktoberfest bier just gone into the fermenting bin. Hopefully in a month or so I'll find out just how good it is. :greengrin

Steve-O
17-04-2014, 10:42 PM

Did you get this on hand pump btw? Thought I read somewhere they were doing it that way but that is not the way I had it.

Also they're using different tea over there, so might make the difference!

Scouse Hibee
17-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Did you get this on hand pump btw? Thought I read somewhere they were doing it that way but that is not the way I had it.

Also they're using different tea over there, so might make the difference!

Yes.

Steve-O
19-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Yes.

Ah. Should try it on a regular tap IMO (if possible). I'm not really a fan of the hand pump stuff in general.

Scouse Hibee
19-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Ah. Should try it on a regular tap IMO (if possible). I'm not really a fan of the hand pump stuff in general.

:aok:

Mr White
18-05-2014, 06:47 PM
The beer threads slipped onto page 2, booooo!:greengrin

I've moved onto summer season pilsner and pale ale mode mostly but got a bottle of irish stout from m&s tonight expecting it to be a slightly better guiness. Much better than that though, more like an improved march of the penguins and went down beautifully with some lamb and mash. Produced by the Carlow Brewing Company and well worth a look imo.

speedy_gonzales
19-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Was working in Stirling today and noticed an advert in the window of the Majestic wine warehouse,,, a 24 bottle box of Samuel Adams Boston lager for only £24,,,bought the one box but at that price I might buy a couple more, Mr Tesco's are charging nearly £2 a bottle, and we are hitting BBQ season!

degenerated
19-05-2014, 04:57 PM
My homebrewed oktoberfest bier has now been be bottled, kept in warm environment for two weeks and had a week conditioning in the garage. Another three weeks and it should be good to go.
I also started primary fermentation on a 40 pint kit of st Peter's ruby red ale at the weekend.
I'll be shaking like a *****t!ng dug by the time I've drunk all this 😁

trev the hat
19-05-2014, 05:21 PM
I'm currently working on a micro brewery in the Bonnington area where you come in use the facilities & brew your own beer. Then come back when it's ready & collect your bottles & enjoy. It's not quite open yet but I'll certainly be using it & will pass on the details to anyone interested. An added bonus is you can sample on site.

MSK
19-05-2014, 05:56 PM
I'm currently working on a micro brewery in the Bonnington area where you come in use the facilities & brew your own beer. Then come back when it's ready & collect your bottles & enjoy. It's not quite open yet but I'll certainly be using it & will pass on the details to anyone interested. An added bonus is you can sample on site.Sounds right up my street ..:greengrin

trev the hat
19-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Sounds right up my street ..:greengrin

Have a look at J2Brewing.com it's based on this & should be live within 4weeks. I'm planning a night down there with the boys booking the 6 brew stations & sampling as we go. Could be messy :wink:

Or here - http://www.971talk.com/glover/colombo/2014/02/11/tony-colombo-at-j2-brewing

MSK
19-05-2014, 06:32 PM
Have a look at J2Brewing.com it's based on this & should be live within 4weeks. I'm planning a night down there with the boys booking the 6 brew stations & sampling as we go. Could be messy :wink:

Or here - http://www.971talk.com/glover/colombo/2014/02/11/tony-colombo-at-j2-brewingThat looks brill ..wonder what the prices are for that ..:agree:

trev the hat
19-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Not sure on the prices as it's still under construction. I know the bottles are expensive so bringing your own bottles when collecting will save a good few quid. I think you get around 90 half pint bottles for your brew or approx 50litres of wort. I'm looking forward to giving this a go as the set up looks really good. There will also be some vouchers nearer launch date so will post up before it kicks off. Must add
its nothing to do with me I'm merely doing the plumbing / gas work on the project & the guys are bang on & will appreciate the word getting spread.

MSK
19-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Not sure on the prices as it's still under construction. I know the bottles are expensive so bringing your own bottles when collecting will save a good few quid. I think you get around 90 half pint bottles for your brew or approx 50litres of wort. I'm looking forward to giving this a go as the set up looks really good. There will also be some vouchers nearer launch date so will post up before it kicks off. Must add
its nothing to do with me I'm merely doing the plumbing / gas work on the project & the guys are bang on & will appreciate the word getting spread.Good stuff mate, anything you hear..prices..facebook etc ..fire it up here, cheers for the heads up ..:aok:

degenerated
09-06-2014, 07:15 PM
Cracked open a few bottles of the honebrewed Oktoberfest bier at the weekend and by jove it's good stuff. Will use another 30% more sugar at bottling to give it a bit more fizz next time.
It's a beautiful amber colour and tastes a bit like paulaner but slightly maltier.

Homebrew is definitely the way forward. The only pain in the erchie is the waiting game.

Pretty Boy
13-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Wee bump for this thread.

CAMRAs beer of the year announced:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-28769152

Calvin
13-08-2014, 02:25 PM

Hmmm...

Of all the amazing beers I've drank this year, I struggle to believe this would make my top 100. Then again, 95% of what I drink isn't antiquated 'real ale'.

Mr White
13-08-2014, 06:44 PM

Oakham's citra is a beautiful beer. Haven't tried the gold or bronze winners.

trev the hat
24-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Brewery now open

http://www.kraftybrew.com

I've not been down yet myself but intend making a night of it with a few mates within next couple months.
The IPA is apparently very popular.

Fill yet boots (bottles) ;-)

MSK
24-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Brewery now open

http://www.kraftybrew.com

I've not been down yet myself but intend making a night of it with a few mates within next couple months.
The IPA is apparently very popular.

Fill yet boots (bottles) ;-)Cheers Trev ..:aok:

Calvin
25-08-2014, 12:21 PM

Got a few 8wired beers on tap now that I've rarely seen before. Blackwired (their black IPA) is pretty good, not overly keen on the Farmhouse Pale Ale though.

Calvin
17-09-2014, 10:40 AM
If you get the chance to try the Siren and To Ol collab 10 Finger Discount then make sure you do. One of my IPAs of the year, it's aged in cedar wood and is simply superb. That being said, most of Siren's stuff now is really good.

Godsahibby
02-10-2014, 07:36 AM
After spending some time up in Boat on Garten last week I rekindled my love affair with possibly my favourite beer of all. Cairngorm Brewers 'Trade Winds' if you haven't sampled it get it down you. I cleared out the Tesco in Aviemore when I saw they had it on offer for £1.30 a bottle!!

easty
02-10-2014, 12:34 PM
I was in Croatia earlier this year and had a few bottles of San Servolo, really liked it, but haven't seen it over here. Anyone know if you can get it here?

Mr White
02-10-2014, 12:59 PM
I was in Croatia earlier this year and had a few bottles of San Servolo, really liked it, but haven't seen it over here. Anyone know if you can get it here?

Ask in one of the bottle shops like beer hive, great grog or cornelius. If their suppliers import it they'll get it in for you.

Mr White
24-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Seems a suitable time to dig this thread back up. Was in cornelius earlier picking up some tasty beers for the next few days including this one. Bought it based on the name alone but it tastes pretty good too! :cheers:

Calvin
24-12-2014, 05:58 PM
Tomorrow is a big day of beer for me. The beer cellar stretches back to AB:06 so we're gonna wire into some of the older ones.

This is what we've picked up for tomorrow:

Mr White
24-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Tomorrow is a big day of beer for me. The beer cellar stretches back to AB:06 so we're gonna wire into some of the older ones.

This is what we've picked up for tomorrow:
Only heard of one them but I bet they're all amazing.
Enjoy!
:cheers:

The_Exile
30-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Anybody tried beer52.com? Craft beer site that delivers a crate to you monthly, dunno how good value it is though TBH?

Mikey
28-02-2015, 10:12 PM
Tesco has Timothy Taylor Boltmaker at £1.65 a bottle at the moment. It's the current CAMRA Champion Beer of Great Britain.

Have it at room temperature and you won't be disappointed!

degenerated
01-05-2015, 05:58 PM
Just cracked open my first bottle of this stuff and its my best beer to date, superb stuff and very similar to goose island ipa. 40 pints for £22 can't be bad although the 7 week wait is the difficult bit. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/01/f7afc59c919c432acf2f2ce1e694d2d4.jpg

Calvin
05-05-2015, 09:29 PM
Just back from Copenhagen Beer Celebration. Beer Geeks paradise and tickets galore, but one of the best weekends ever.

3 Floyds Dark Lord, Cigar City Hunahpu's, Westbrook BA Mexican Cake, as well as an abundance of world class sours. Best £200 I've ever spent.

adhibs
22-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Ive just poured a bottle of drygate crossing the rubicon and the whole things full of yeast. Not a bit at the bottom of the bottle, the whole pint glass is sparkled with the stuff all over. Ive never came across this before, is it intentinal or off?

Pretty Boy
22-07-2015, 05:51 PM
Ive just poured a bottle of drygate crossing the rubicon and the whole things full of yeast. Not a bit at the bottom of the bottle, the whole pint glass is sparkled with the stuff all over. Ive never came across this before, is it intential or off?

A fair few beers have a bit yeast in the bottle but that sounds like too much to me. Sierra Nevada can be bad for that as well, it's just not a pleasant mouth feel more than anything imo.

adhibs
22-07-2015, 06:01 PM
A fair few beers have a bit yeast in the bottle but that sounds like too much to me. Sierra Nevada can be bad for that as well, it's just not a pleasant mouth feel more than anything imo.

Thats it there. it didnt taste too bad to begin with but its going down the sink now. Luckily ive never cane across that with sierra nevada

Calvin
22-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Thats it there. it didnt taste too bad to begin with but its going down the sink now. Luckily ive never cane across that with sierra nevada

Did you pour it slowly? Looks to me like they've probably left a little bit too much yeast in but that a careful pour could have kept most of it in the bottle.

adhibs
22-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Did you pour it slowly? Looks to me like they've probably left a little bit too much yeast in but that a careful pour could have kept most of it in the bottle.

was poured slowly, although it does get very boring :greengrin

Calvin
22-07-2015, 06:37 PM
was poured slowly, although it does get very boring :greengrin

I know that feeling! I've never had any of their stuff from bottle for comparison, don't tend to see it down here.

SneakersO'Toole
24-07-2015, 09:33 PM
Anyone ever tried some of the Alaskan Brewing Co beers? Brewed in the capital Juneau. I'm just back from Alaska and their beers along with some of the more local brewers offerings were fantastic.

Calvin
24-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Anyone ever tried some of the Alaskan Brewing Co beers? Brewed in the capital Juneau. I'm just back from Alaska and their beers along with some of the more local brewers offerings were fantastic.

I haven't but I'll look out for them. I have had a few good beers from Anchorage Brewing Co though.