PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Home Banter

HibeeHendo
07-07-2013, 02:53 AM
Jumped in a taxi home from town with two of my mates. One of them asks the driver, "Excuse me pal, any chance we can go through the McDonald's drive through, we're starving!" The taxi driver replied with, "No! I can't be bothered with any of that carry on". My mate then asks if he would do it for an extra fiver, the reply was much of the same. I then asked the driver what team he supports, praying that he is a hibby so that I could possibly sweet talk him. Queue the inevitable, "I'm a Jambo mate". My other pal then goes, "Mate, will you take us to McDonald's if we gave you 15 points?" Maybe it was my drunken state but I don't think I've laughed unexpectedly so much in my life :greengrin

Steve-O
07-07-2013, 03:31 AM
Sounds like a grumpy old fud. Surely if he leaves the meter on its just more easy money for him? Typical JAMBO!

Ross4356
07-07-2013, 04:05 AM
Been busy?
Time you on till?

Aidan the Hibby
07-07-2013, 04:24 AM
Quality

HH81
07-07-2013, 04:28 AM
Things are always more funnier when your drunk :agree:

Or maybe I am just a grumpy sod as im up this early to go walking and had no beer last night :greengrin

Pete
07-07-2013, 05:20 AM
Sounds like a grumpy old fud. Surely if he leaves the meter on its just more easy money for him? Typical JAMBO!

There are reasons why taxi drivers dont like hot food in their cab. It seems to be one of the only places left where people actually get offended when they are told they cant have it. Try getting on a bus with a pizza, kebab or a bag of Hamburgers.

Jambo was quite right.

Aidan the Hibby
07-07-2013, 05:30 AM
Bit random but whats the fine for being sick in a taxi?

Pete
07-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Bit random but whats the fine for being sick in a taxi?

£23 or something.

However, if someone is sick in your cab your shift is basically over. More often than not it often ends up costing the cabbie a lot more than £23 due to loss of earnings.

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2013, 08:17 AM
There are reasons why taxi drivers dont like hot food in their cab. It seems to be one of the only places left where people actually get offended when they are told they cant have it. Try getting on a bus with a pizza, kebab or a bag of Hamburgers.

Jambo was quite right.

I've only ever had one problem getting on a bus with hot food. I know it says hot food not permitted but the only time I've been stopped (the food is wrapped and I'm not eating it) is by the driver of an Airport 100 Lothian Bus.

carnoustiehibee
07-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Me and my old man were drinking down leith after a game one Saturday and got 2 fish suppers before jumping on the bus to get the last train home. The chippies were still wrapped but the bus driver refused to let us on.

It took a lot for us to put those unwrapped, hot, smelling so dam good chippies in the bin. We even contemplated booking a hotel and missing our train.

Still feel a touch of sadness even now thinking about it

lord bunberry
12-07-2013, 09:15 PM
£23 or something.

However, if someone is sick in your cab your shift is basically over. More often than not it often ends up costing the cabbie a lot more than £23 due to loss of earnings.

I believe its going up to £50 when the fares rise later this month.

Pete
13-07-2013, 12:06 AM
I believe its going up to £50 when the fares rise later this month.

A fare increase?

Please tell me this half-ersed proposal hasn't really been approved and you are winding me up.:pray:

lord bunberry
13-07-2013, 12:34 AM
A fare increase?

Please tell me this half-ersed proposal hasn't really been approved and you are winding me up.:pray:

The fares are rising at the end of the month, the meter will start at £2.10 and £3.10 its an increae of 3%. They aren't doing the party tariff that was being proposed a while back. The increase seems a bit pointless to me tbh it just creates bad press for the trade, and for such a small amount it's not worth it.

Pete
13-07-2013, 04:02 AM
The fares are rising at the end of the month, the meter will start at £2.10 and £3.10 its an increae of 3%. They aren't doing the party tariff that was being proposed a while back. The increase seems a bit pointless to me tbh it just creates bad press for the trade, and for such a small amount it's not worth it.

In real terms if you even do 30 jobs a night what do you gain? Under a fiver and there's more than a one in thirty chance of you getting a tosser who will moan.

I'm just so happy this party tariff isn't a goer. Let the guy who suggested that do my "party shift".

His party will end after a few hours.

lord bunberry
13-07-2013, 11:28 AM
In real terms if you even do 30 jobs a night what do you gain? Under a fiver and there's more than a one in thirty chance of you getting a tosser who will moan.

I'm just so happy this party tariff isn't a goer. Let the guy who suggested that do my "party shift".

His party will end after a few hours.

Yeah totally agree with that. If you take most fares are around six or seven pounds the passenger will have to pay an extra twenty pence, but when some people have had a drink all they will see is a fare increase.

Scouse Hibee
13-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Yeah totally agree with that. If you take most fares are around six or seven pounds the passenger will have to pay an extra twenty pence, but when some people have had a drink all they will see is a fare increase.

I don't think too many folk will even notice let alone be bothered by an extra twenty pence, I always round up and tip the driver anyway.

lord bunberry
13-07-2013, 03:52 PM
I don't think too many folk will even notice let alone be bothered by an extra twenty pence, I always round up and tip the driver anyway.

Your right most people won't notice but there's always the odd one or two who like to complain about the price of taxis. The most common things I get told are that edinburgh taxis are the dearest outside london which isn't true, and a stupid comparison as london taxis aren't the most expensive in the country anyway, or that the taxis in glasgow are much cheaper than edinburgh which again isn't true, or my personal favourite you never see a poor taxi driver, normally I'm told that one by someone on a saturday night after a good night out, if I was loaded I wouldn't be working saturday nights.

Steve-O
14-07-2013, 05:10 AM

Jambo was quite right.

I'm not suggesting they should eat in the taxi, but I think people should be allowed to transport said food (and I have done, many times) in a taxi. We pay enough for them.

Steve-O
14-07-2013, 05:12 AM
Your right most people won't notice but there's always the odd one or two who like to complain about the price of taxis. The most common things I get told are that edinburgh taxis are the dearest outside london which isn't true, and a stupid comparison as london taxis aren't the most expensive in the country anyway, or that the taxis in glasgow are much cheaper than edinburgh which again isn't true, or my personal favourite you never see a poor taxi driver, normally I'm told that one by someone on a saturday night after a good night out, if I was loaded I wouldn't be working saturday nights.

Last time I got a taxi in Glasgow, admittedly a few years ago now, it definitely appeared to be a fair bit cheaper than the Edinburgh counterparts.

WeAreHibs
14-07-2013, 07:01 AM
I'm sure that Glasgow taxis are cheaper!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

lord bunberry
14-07-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm sure that Glasgow taxis are cheaper!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

A 2 mile journey in a glasgow cab costs £5 compared to £5.50 in an edinburgh cab, but I believe glasgow cabs operate a party tariff so a cab home in glasgow after a night out would cost more than in edinburgh. So it is slightly more expensive for edinburgh taxis but that's the same if you compare the 2 city's on most things.

Scouse Hibee
14-07-2013, 02:51 PM

The couple of taxi drivers that I know well make a very good living out of the taxi, they work hard and put in the hours which has provided them both with a very tidy income. If they are an example of the good living most drivers make then I can see where folk are coming from when they say that :wink:

lord bunberry
14-07-2013, 03:17 PM
The couple of taxi drivers that I know well make a very good living out of the taxi, they work hard and put in the hours which has provided them both with a very tidy income. If they are an example of the good living most drivers make then I can see where folk are coming from when they say that :wink:

I agree you can make a good living from the taxis but you tend to have to do lots of unsociable hours. I work 72 hours a week mainly because I'm still paying for my taxi. I would imagine if I was to work 72 hours a week including weekends in a minimum wage job I wouldn't be much worse off.
Having said all that it's been my choice to do what I do and I'm not complaining about it.

marinello59
14-07-2013, 03:26 PM

I think the thing about the 'you never see a poor taxi driver' type remark is the implication that they are somehow getting it easy when it's just the same as any other self employed job, the rewards are totally dependant on the effort put in.

lord bunberry
14-07-2013, 03:50 PM
I think the thing about the 'you never see a poor taxi driver' type remark is the implication that they are somehow getting it easy when it's just the same as any other self employed job, the rewards are totally dependant on the effort put in.

Yeah that would pretty much sum it up for me.

speedy_gonzales
14-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Never understood the hate, or perceived hate towards taxi drivers. They either charge too much or earn too much or there's not enough of them working a Saturday night or there's too many of them out there pulling a u-turn without sufficient observation and signal of intent. Nothing like a stereotype eh?
You taxi drivers out there must feel as vilified as city bankers(not cockney rhyming slang). The cabbies I know are as much representative of society as any other profession I know. From the guy that only drives a Monday to Thursday night, he has a set amount he wants/needs to earn and when he hits that he stops, sometimes he only works the three nights a week but he lives well within his means, another that rents Monday to Friday day but he street cabs and works every penny/hour that is available, he struggles to make ends meet, then the dream, the guy that owns and runs 2 taxis, plays golf, has a property in Spain and a jambo to boot, a complete merchant banker!(that is cockney rhyming slang).

brianmc
14-07-2013, 04:53 PM
I drive a West Lothian private hire car-usually for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. As an average I'd say I do around 80~90 fares during that week-so you can imagine how much I'm enjoying the taxi chat above about 30 fares in a single night!!

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Most taxi drivers i know work in Blackpool, and they are quite well off. Although thats because they work when everyone else is out having a good time.

lord bunberry
14-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Most taxi drivers i know work in Blackpool, and they are quite well off. Although thats because they work when everyone else is out having a good time.

That's true I'm forever picking up jambos out for a romantic night with their sister/mother.

sauzee=legend
14-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Fare increase is only happening in the black cabs in Edinburgh.