PDA

View Full Version : I feel worse than last year

SlickShoes
28-05-2013, 08:36 AM
I had a great day out with my best mate and family, until Celtc scored. The support for the team was fantastic, but I still feel like *****.

I am 30 now, I grew up assuming we would never win this cup because we are never in the final, in 2001 we got there but we faced one of the best Celtc teams in recent memory, so that loss wasn't too hard to take, compensated by the fact we had a good ish season and nice euro adventure following it.

Fast forward to last year, one of the worst hibs teams I have ever seen lose to hearts, I thought we would win but clearly that was beyond the jokers on the park that day. This year we have a mediocre hibs team with a couple of stand out players. Yet again we turn up in vast numbers and watch our team get well and truly beaten by a superior side.

Going through my life assuming we will never win it was easy because we were never anywhere near winning it, now we have had two final defeats in a row, it's much worse, I am proud to be a hibby but I feel like crap. I used to wonder why my grandad (when he was still with us) wouldn't go to see hibs in the latter stages of this cup, now I can understand why, I will keep going and supporting the team but I can understand those who can't/won't.

I am worried about the upcoming season, if we could keep the current squad and add to it that would be great but the chances of that happening look slim.

I think the work Pat Fenlon has done is adequate, outwith 1 good season none of the other SPL managers really show much that would make me want them in his place in the dugout. The last thing I want is us to be changing managers again, I am happy to stick with Pat but really feel that next season already hinges on Leigh Griffiths. For once in my life I would like to see hibs build a strong team, with staying power, make the Scottish Cup's latter stages and not get ravaged by injury in the process.

I don't know the point in this post really, it's just venting, I was proud to stand and defiantly sing with my fellow hibs fans on Sunday but I have never felt so dejected at a football game, even when we got relegated.

Mister P
28-05-2013, 09:00 AM
I don't feel as bad. I felt we at least turned up this time. Just weren't good enough that's all.

It will happen, and it's gonna be soon.

Could be worse, your team could be crippled with debt, having to beg its own fans for millions just to get to next season. Have around £30million on debt, owed money to HMRC, and still have an asbestos riddled bus stop for a stadium .

One city one team.....

hibs4thecup1988
28-05-2013, 09:19 AM
I don't feel as bad. I felt we at least turned up this time. Just weren't good enough that's all.

It will happen, and it's gonna be soon.

Could be worse, your team could be crippled with debt, having to beg its own fans for millions just to get to next season. Have around £30million on debt, owed money to HMRC, and still have an asbestos riddled bus stop for a stadium .

One city one team.....

This is absolutely not an attack on you...But I really couldn't give a flying one about them over the road. The gloating they have given us over the last god knows how many years is beginning to hurt.

I also agree with the opening poster. I feel gutted after sunday still. Don't know when it will actually hit home, there have been no tears yet, I mean I am in my 20's and feel like bawling my eyes out.

As for people that say the team turned up I don't agree with that one little bit. First 7 and a half minutes yes...after that the heads went down.

Always next year though I guess...

SeanWilson
28-05-2013, 09:25 AM
I had a great day out with my best mate and family, until Celtc scored. The support for the team was fantastic, but I still feel like *****.

I am 30 now, I grew up assuming we would never win this cup because we are never in the final, in 2001 we got there but we faced one of the best Celtc teams in recent memory, so that loss wasn't too hard to take, compensated by the fact we had a good ish season and nice euro adventure following it.

Fast forward to last year, one of the worst hibs teams I have ever seen lose to hearts, I thought we would win but clearly that was beyond the jokers on the park that day. This year we have a mediocre hibs team with a couple of stand out players. Yet again we turn up in vast numbers and watch our team get well and truly beaten by a superior side.

Going through my life assuming we will never win it was easy because we were never anywhere near winning it, now we have had two final defeats in a row, it's much worse, I am proud to be a hibby but I feel like crap. I used to wonder why my grandad (when he was still with us) wouldn't go to see hibs in the latter stages of this cup, now I can understand why, I will keep going and supporting the team but I can understand those who can't/won't.

I am worried about the upcoming season, if we could keep the current squad and add to it that would be great but the chances of that happening look slim.

I think the work Pat Fenlon has done is adequate, outwith 1 good season none of the other SPL managers really show much that would make me want them in his place in the dugout. The last thing I want is us to be changing managers again, I am happy to stick with Pat but really feel that next season already hinges on Leigh Griffiths. For once in my life I would like to see hibs build a strong team, with staying power, make the Scottish Cup's latter stages and not get ravaged by injury in the process.

I don't know the point in this post really, it's just venting, I was proud to stand and defiantly sing with my fellow hibs fans on Sunday but I have never felt so dejected at a football game, even when we got relegated.

I feel exactly the same mate.

Two days on and i still have the dread in my stomach.

The problem for me is how many people think we are half decent and are willing to accept that we are in this continuing building phase... Which we seem to be in year after year.

How has it got to the stage that ict, ross county (ffs have u ever been to dingwall its the size of my back garden)st johnstone, motherwell have all got teams where the hibs players would struggle yo get a game.

My own opinion, however on reflection and for what its worth, until people accept that what we are being offered up as a hibs supporter just now and looks to be for the foreseeable is a load of pash nothing is going to change. I am forever reading posts about us being in a transition period and we are building for the future etc. Nonsense.

Team is mediocre, set up though should be fantastic is clearly mediocre and everything from top to bottom reeks of mediocre.

Until the fans stop accepting this, its going to continue.

Anyway, no i dont want fenlon sacked and yes i was proud to be with everyone else at hampden on saturday... Im just a little dejected right now and am going to crawl back to my hole and feel sorry for myself.

#FromTheCapital
28-05-2013, 09:29 AM
I don't feel worse than last year but still didn't expect it to feel this bad after a defeat to Celtic. I'm not too disappointed with the performance, I think Fenlon had the right idea in trying to score early but we got hit with a sucker punch and it was always going to be an uphill struggle after that. Was hoping Celtic would of had one of their infamous hampden nightmares but they didn't and they would've beat any team in Scotland playing like that

greenpaper55
28-05-2013, 09:31 AM
I think most people don't feel so bad as it was kinda expected, the bookies are usualy spot on and they gave us no chance. We will win the cup someday but only when we have a better team than the opposition , simple !, in my lifetime i have never seen us in a final when we could say we had the best squad or manager out of the two teams . Until we meet a Kilmarnock or Falkirk in a final then and only then will we have a chance of winning it, other teams outwith the OF seem to get finals such as these ( Hearts-Gretna for example and they nearly lost it even with all their cheating ) but we always come up against the best but it will happen someday-there is no jinx !.

jonny
28-05-2013, 10:59 AM
I think most people don't feel so bad as it was kinda expected, the bookies are usualy spot on and they gave us no chance. We will win the cup someday but only when we have a better team than the opposition , simple !, in my lifetime i have never seen us in a final when we could say we had the best squad or manager out of the two teams . Until we meet a Kilmarnock or Falkirk in a final then and only then will we have a chance of winning it, other teams outwith the OF seem to get finals such as these ( Hearts-Gretna for example and they nearly lost it even with all their cheating ) but we always come up against the best but it will happen someday-there is no jinx !.

I predict sometime around the 24th May 2014 :wink:

clerriehibs
28-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Feeling worse than you did after relegation? No way!

Waxy
28-05-2013, 11:06 AM
I am very proud of Hibs. After last years final we were all a bit devastated. A lot if fans rightly vented anger towards the club. We all said we had to start doing better in the derby and make sure no more wage thiefs walked through our doors. We demanded a tougher Hibs. It's been a better start than i expected.

Springbank
28-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Getting to the final was a show of spirit (typified by the boisterous away support that packed rugby park for a televised game - a real turning point I thought)

This next 2 seasons are such a massive opportunity to nail "second force"

If I won the EuroMillions then Sir Tom's secretary will be getting a call...prepare the coffee for the boardroom, I've got a bid to discuss...

But back to reality, this one hurts because we actually want to win this thing. The Celtic support gave a textbook example of not letting a celebration get in the way of the all important "beating the traffic"

I hate them and their Govan partners in crime more than I hate the jambos so it hurts. It just reinforced that the of have killed the game

SlickShoes
28-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Getting to the final was a show of spirit (typified by the boisterous away support that packed rugby park for a televised game - a real turning point I thought)

This next 2 seasons are such a massive opportunity to nail "second force"

If I won the EuroMillions then Sir Tom's secretary will be getting a call...prepare the coffee for the boardroom, I've got a bid to discuss...

But back to reality, this one hurts because we actually want to win this thing. The Celtic support gave a textbook example of not letting a celebration get in the way of the all important "beating the traffic"

I hate them and their Govan partners in crime more than I hate the jambos so it hurts. It just reinforced that the of have killed the game

Aye, I was just in the Gym at my work and one of the Celtc fans when asked how the cup final was said "it was awright".

I do feel worse than the relegation season, I can't explain why, but I remember McLeish had already made a huge impact in our season and I felt confident of coming back up straight away.

scoopyboy
28-05-2013, 12:20 PM
My big fear going into the final was a bigger hammering than Hearts gave us.

I was worried if that happened we would have lost many fans that would never have returned.

However my fears were unfounded and the Hibs support more than the team made me proud.

Despite having lost a second final in a row I feel the support has been galvanised as opposed to scunnered.

I look forward to next year where I'm hoping we again show improvement and others may perhaps be a bit weaker. There's not been many years in my lifetime where at the start of a season you don't have to worry about Hearts or Rangers winning it. Others like Motherwell and SJ IMO will be poorer next season and I think teams will get wise to ICT and Ross County.

Holmesdale Hibs
28-05-2013, 12:43 PM
I agree with a lot of what you wrote although I personally found last year worse.

The only Celtic fan I know has been pretty gracious in victory to be fair but I couldn't say the same for the yams I know. The most annoying yams were the ones that know **** about football and only turn up at pubs for the big games, I'm sure yous all know the type.

Anyway, annoying yams aside, last year was the lowest point I can remember when supporting Hibs. I'd include relegation and maybe even Hands of Hibs in that. I've never felt so dejected after a game and it put me off watching football for a while.

This year was better. Team was better, general feeling among the fans was better and we didn't lose to our local rivals. I still felt **** after the game though and being better than last year isn't saying much.

GlenrothesHibee
28-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Im a bit shocked at how little im hurting from Sunday. Whether it was the unbelievable support for the last 15mins or that id convinced myself we were going to lose on the run up to the game i dont know. Its hard to be too down when your overwhelming underdogs. For me the worst ive ever felt was when Livi beat us in the League cup final. Dont get me wrong, im sick, but i can see us winning this before too long. 2 defeats in 10 Scottish cup games under Pat gives me hope

DH1875
28-05-2013, 01:30 PM
I've no renewed for next season so you can bet your asp we'll get to the final I'll no get a ticket and we'll win the bloody thing.

GreenArmyyy!
28-05-2013, 02:21 PM
I agree with the O.P to a point, last year took me months to get over, I didn't look at anything to do with Hibs until the beginning of the season. Right now though I feel horrible and the feeling seems to be getting worse the more time passes. The thing that hurt me the most was not on Sunday, it was Monday morning driving to work, passing the stadium and seeing the railings for the parade being taken away, that really tore me apart.

deeks01
28-05-2013, 07:01 PM

It certainly doesn't get any easier does it?

The difference between the two finals for me is I left Hampden last year feeling physically sick at that shambles on the park. On Sunday I left absolutely gutted but I had a tremendous sense of pride at having been stood with all of my fellow Hibs fans drowning out Celtics pathetic support with sheer defiance & passion. I also felt a tremendous sense of gratitude that I was born a Hibee as that cup meant nothing to the plastic fans sat across from us. Nothing.

Our team went out there & gave it their all on Sunday & they all looked as gutted as I felt at the final whistle. Yes the first goal was cheap & we fell apart a bit after it ,considering we started by being right in their faces and looking hungrier and dangerous , but it is all 'what if' now and no point dwelling.

Positives aside from the above - European nights at ER again and this thought... If we were that loud at FT on Sunday, imagine the party when we do finally win the f****** thing?!?!!

Onwards. Upwards. Evermore.

GGTTH

Jonnyboy
28-05-2013, 07:04 PM
My big fear going into the final was a bigger hammering than Hearts gave us.

I was worried if that happened we would have lost many fans that would never have returned.

However my fears were unfounded and the Hibs support more than the team made me proud.

Despite having lost a second final in a row I feel the support has been galvanised as opposed to scunnered.

I look forward to next year where I'm hoping we again show improvement and others may perhaps be a bit weaker. There's not been many years in my lifetime where at the start of a season you don't have to worry about Hearts or Rangers winning it. Others like Motherwell and SJ IMO will be poorer next season and I think teams will get wise to ICT and Ross County.

:top marks

basehibby
28-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Last year was the lowest ebb and my feelings after Sunday's loss were simply not on the same scale of misery - I didn't feel like going into hiding straight afterwards for a start, and the team, although well beaten in the end, didn't lack for effort or desire.

Of course it was a big disappointment to miss out on the Cup yet again but not entirely a surprise that we couldn't overcome Celtic on the day. There has been definate progress this season IMO which is reason for optimism, and that along with the superb and spontaneous display of solidarity and steadfastness shown by the Hibs support at the end of the match lifted my spirits no end and made me feel proud to be a Hibee!

A million miles away from last year and I hope the whole club can use the experience as a springboard onto bigger and better things.

jimmythefish
28-05-2013, 08:28 PM

that's hibs for ye, seen us in 6 finals 3 sc & 3 lc just the 2007 victory, the other 5 defeats, the defeats against them the hardest to take, the final last year & 2006 semi but ye just have tae pick yerself up & keep the faith ,wee pat's got us going in the right direction, progress is being made things just take a bit o time, as for the Scottish cup I'm no sure if we'll ever win it either, I think we're jinxed or cursed or something nothing to do with the team but if we manage to make it 3 finals on the trot i'll be there

snooky
28-05-2013, 08:30 PM
We probably have one season (maybe two) before the Hydra is back with a vengence so if we want to win something then now's the time.

(Mind you, there's always the chance the Hydra might not make it.)

sahib
28-05-2013, 08:40 PM
I've no renewed for next season so you can bet your asp we'll get to the final I'll no get a ticket and we'll win the bloody thing.

I thought this about the last two cup finals - I needn't have worried.:greengrin

FromTheCapital
28-05-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm 24 and I'll quite openely admit I had a lump in my throat at the end of the game.
I actually don't think we played bad at all, we just came up against a very good team.
I feel the same amount of pain as last year but nowhere near the embarrassment.
The lads gave 100% and tried to score the crucial first goal but were hit with a sucker.
Sadly, it wasn't to be but we can't have any complaints about a lack of effort.
We turned up in our tens of thousands again to support the boys but left with nothing.
The longer the wait goes on, the more sweeter the victory will be.
It's coming.

EH6 Hibby
28-05-2013, 10:37 PM
I feel worse than last year. The fear of losing last year meant I didn't let myself hope too much, I left the stadium mainly numb with a wee bit of anger about Craig Thomson. This year I don't know if it's because it's the 2nd year in a row or what but I'm still gutted. I was in floods after the game on Sunday and still feel horrible. I'm not blaming anyone and I'll be back as usual next season, I just think it will take me a few weeks to shake this feeling off.

HibeeDave
28-05-2013, 10:51 PM
I'm 42 now and witnessed my third cup final heartbreak, having to wait thirty years for my first SC Final to get two in a row was a bit surreal. Last year was horrendous but this year I witnessed something I have not seen in many a year, the support sticking with the team. For years we have seen the support turn against the team, the managers, the board at the first sign of defeat, to witness the final stages of the game on Sunday was amazing and made me proud, yes we were outplayed by the better team but the majority of the support stayed and brought back some pride to the stands. Hopefully this can still be seen in the new season.

monktonharp
28-05-2013, 11:08 PM
It certainly doesn't get any easier does it?

The difference between the two finals for me is I left Hampden last year feeling physically sick at that shambles on the park. On Sunday I left absolutely gutted but I had a tremendous sense of pride at having been stood with all of my fellow Hibs fans drowning out Celtics pathetic support with sheer defiance & passion. I also felt a tremendous sense of gratitude that I was born a Hibee as that cup meant nothing to the plastic fans sat across from us. Nothing.

Our team went out there & gave it their all on Sunday & they all looked as gutted as I felt at the final whistle. Yes the first goal was cheap & we fell apart a bit after it ,considering we started by being right in their faces and looking hungrier and dangerous , but it is all 'what if' now and no point dwelling.

Positives aside from the above - European nights at ER again and this thought... If we were that loud at FT on Sunday, imagine the party when we do finally win the f****** thing?!?!!

Onwards. Upwards. Evermore.

GGTTHyou obviously don't read the Record then:wink: seriously though, I was gutted. not quite as much as the last time we lost a final to Celtic, as I thought we did have a great chance of doing them, and it's always doing them in this cup that I want after the 6-1 game in the seventies. however, our talisman of the day and a fantastic player, decided to go on the pish, a few days before the final in 2001. Latapy would have made us tick that day, and that is WOULD, not COULD.